• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

72.3% drive their children in flashy car to elite schools

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Non-grad parents, but they made it to top schools
By Rachel Chang

THE first glimpse 12-year-olds get of their secondary schools, their homes for the next four years, is on Reporting Day every December.

What Isdiyanah Dulkifli, now 15, saw then were big, shiny cars parked on every spare inch in the Raffles Girls' School (RGS) campus on Anderson Road - which her future classmates had arrived in. 'I was taken aback,' the Secondary 4 student recalled.

'These people are so rich,' she thought to herself, and wondered if she had made the right choice of school.

Students like Isdiyanah who hail from humble backgrounds are now the minority in several of Singapore's top secondary schools, statistics released by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew two weeks ago showed.

In RGS, 72.3 per cent of students have fathers who are university graduates, putting them in the uppermost socio-economic bracket.

The figures for other top schools like Hwa Chong Institution and Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) are similar - all above 50 per cent.

In contrast, in neighbourhood schools like Jurong West Secondary and Bukit Merah Secondary, the share of students with graduate parents hovers at around 10 per cent.

The Straits Times interviewed ten students who have bucked the trend, to find out how they did it.

Of the ten from five brand-name schools, four are minorities and two have a parent who died.

Some are the exception in their families, with siblings in polytechnics or the Institute of Technical Education.

But when they are the oldest child, they seem to have pulled along their younger siblings, who also do well academically.

While it is not easy being different, these teenagers believe that as long as they work hard and shut out impulses to be envious, the sky is still the limit.

The culture shock many of these students felt upon entering the hallowed halls of their brand-name schools was not limited to the iPods and iPads on display.

Hwa Chong student Wong Kang Ming, 16, was surprised that his classmates would buy all the recommended assessment books, but not do the exercises in them.

'They spend money without thinking,' he said. When he buys an assessment book, he uses it from cover to cover.

Kang Ming's father passed away when he was six years old. His China-born mother is a cleaner.

He said that he copes with his relative lack of spare cash by planning ahead.

If there was a last-minute need for a book, he could not just pop down to the bookstore to get it like his classmates do. He must first ask for extra money at home and buy it the next day.

'But all this is minor stuff,' he insisted. 'As long as I have enough money for the basics, it's enough.'

Like many of the other students interviewed whose parents are not university-educated, he was an academic self-starter from young.

These kids cornered teachers after lessons for extra help, went to libraries on their own, and gathered their siblings for joint study sessions every night.

Their parents believed that education would better their lot and encouraged them to work hard - even if they did not always have the financial resources or expertise to help directly.

Although Kang Ming's mother helps him with his Chinese classes, he is used to relying on himself, even researching the type of financial assistance Hwa Chong could give him before settling on the school.

'I just feel motivated, as I'm already from this type of situation,' he said, referring to the hardships of a single-parent family. 'I feel that the least I can do is cope by myself.'

Time and again, this self-motivating fervour emerged from the students interviewed.

Never having enjoyed luxuries such as tuition, they simply managed without.

Ms Dina Ee, 20, a former Nanyang Girls' High student now studying medicine at the National University of Singapore, said: 'There comes a point when you realise that you can't rely too much on others. That probably came earlier for me.'

For a student like Raffles Institution's Ahmad Musthofa, whose father passed away when he was 12, what drives him is his desire to provide for his family.

'I want to work hard, support my family and lift the burden off my mother,' he said.

RGS student Isdiyanah still feels out of place at times.

When she goes out with her friends, she takes along a packed lunch rather than spend more money. Her friends accommodate her by eating at an open-air area in town, instead of in a restaurant.

'My classmates' parents are all doctors and professors,' she mused. 'I do feel embarrassed sometimes. Here I am, always at the Accounts department asking for money.'

Isdiyanah's parents are divorced - and for a while in primary school, she lived in a rental flat in Redhill with her mother and siblings.

'But I know this embarrassment cannot last for very long,' she said.

'Even those professors and doctors, they may not have come from a very educated family. They had to work very hard to get to where they are now.'

[email protected]

ST_19029728.jpg
Raffles Girls School student Isdiyanah Dulkifli, 15, who comes from a humble background, feels out of place at times when in school and around her friends, but believes hard work is key to a successful future. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

ST_19029733.jpg
Unlike most of his peers, Raffles Institution's Muhammad Alfian Aman, 14, does not go for tuition - but he does not feel deprived. -- ST PHOTO: LAU FOOK KONG

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting thing is that the poor children are either Malays or migrants in this article. Wonder what does that mean? Chinese and Indian children from not-so-privileged can dream on about joining these elite schools?

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Careful. Do not to wear a shoe that's too big to fit, the eonomic-social status in elite schools is very very real. A real eye opener for some teens
who just upgraded to a branded secondary school from an "unknown" neighbourhood school.

Although there is no outright discrimination, the poorer kids will face a tough situation where they may preceived to be "benfitting" from their richer peers.

I know, because long time ago I was in the same situation.

Interesting thing is that the poor children are either Malays or migrants in this article. Wonder what does that mean? Chinese and Indian children from not-so-privileged can dream on about joining these elite schools?

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder what is the percentage of kids who graduate from elite schools turning to major white-collared evil-doers, conmen, cheaters,.... when adults ala Durai, Kong Hee Fatt Choy, Ming Yi, Rasif, LKY, ...etc

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
passed marymount convent earlier and saw a long line of cars waiting to pick up ah sia kias

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
even my neighbourhood primary school those parents driving their kids to school in BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, etc... :biggrin:
challenge of the brands!

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
".....and for a while in primary school, she lived in a rental flat in Redhill
with her mother and siblings.

'But I know this embarrassment cannot last for very long,' she said.

'Even those professors and doctors, they may not have come from a very
educated family. They had to work very hard to get to where they are now.'"
====================================================

A very telling sign. Our promising young people considers being poor
as an embarrassment. She must be very embarrassed by her poor parents.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you expect the rich to pretend to be poor to make everyone feel better?

I still remember many, many years ago when a famous local school was chosen to highlight the problem of snobbery :smile:

The prefects were told to crackdown on students wearing expensive watches, pens, branded shoes,.......Parents were prevented from dropping their sons near the school if they drove :biggrin:

After a few weeks, the school was deemed snob free:eek:

It was a lame attempt but at least they tried. Nowadays they don't even try:rolleyes:

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
even my neighbourhood primary school those parents driving their kids to school in BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, etc... :biggrin:
challenge of the brands!

today, i board a bus fm serangoon ave 2 and about 20 happy playful pri kids
board and alight at paya lebar rd. they were all gurkha kids and it says all..........................that sinkee kids are spoilt n useless

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nowadays cannot la ...

wait dey dunwan 2 donate moni 2 ze skool any mor, how? ... :rolleyes:

You must understand that schools use the psychology of peer pressure i.e. moral persuasion, it's not like the army :smile:

If a student doesn't donate $$$ he/she & parents will face the "malu" factor:rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes good idea to go to elite school, the people she met there will help her to get good jobs in future.
with good jobs, she can buy a flashy car too in future.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
passed marymount convent earlier and saw a long line of cars waiting to pick up ah sia kias

The cars you see waiting outside is because there is very little room left inside the school.

The gov't has been stealing parts of Marymount for years. They lost their field when the gov't built Marymount Rd. They lost some of it's front when Thomson Rd was enlarged.

The gov't will be acquiring more of Marymount land for that new north-south expressway.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still remember many, many years ago when a famous local school was chosen to highlight the problem of snobbery :smile:

The prefects were told to crackdown on students wearing expensive watches, pens, branded shoes,.......Parents were prevented from dropping their sons near the school if they drove :biggrin:

After a few weeks, the school was deemed snob free:eek:

It was a lame attempt but at least they tried. Nowadays they don't even try:rolleyes:

ACS - Always Charged with Snobbery. Later, ACS - Association for the Crushing of Snobbery.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes good idea to go to elite school, the people she met there will help her to get good jobs in future.
with good jobs, she can buy a flashy car too in future.

Agree. Networking. If it doesn't help in future, it won't kill. Old boy/girl networking very pertinent.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol, these kids had better learn than at that level the game of one-upmanship is played all the more cruelly! It may be as innocent as...

"Hey, I did very well for my studies and my parents took me to Disneyland this time! How did you parents reward you?"
"We toured Europe."
"They got me the latest gaming PC, cost 10K!"
"Hey Malay, how did your parents reward you?"
"Er... we went KFC to eat."

Silence. Doesn't matter how well he/she did, all credibility is just simply lost. Cruel, but that's the world. And after that, there's no way he/she will ever be part of any group/network.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ACS - Always Charged with Snobbery. Later, ACS - Association for the Crushing of Snobbery.

The fact is ACS is just a convenient scapegoat. You can find snobbery in all the gov't aided schools like RI, Chinese High,...

Spore is a very class conscious society. The problem started long ago with LKY.