• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

5-year-old girl killed: Impreza driver negligent, says coroner

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
5yearold_girl_killed_impreza_driver_negligent-thumbnail.jpg

A CAR salesman's negligence caused the death of five-year-old Zhao Lin Qian in a traffic accident last year, said the State Coroner.

Mr Tijan Syafiq Selamat, 27, was driving at 71kmh to 85kmh in a 50kmh zone and never even saw the little girl crossing the road.

The accident was initially reported by STOMPers who were at the scene.

Announcing his findings yesterday, Coroner Kessler Soh said the motorist had not exercised a proper lookout on the night of Dec 1.

'In my opinion, it was negligent to travel at such a high speed along a road near a bus stop serving a densely populated estate,' noted Coroner Soh.

The fatal accident could have been averted if the motorist had been more careful, said the coroner.

It is now up to the Attorney-General's Chambers to decide if Mr Tijan is to be prosecuted.

The impact of the collision with Mr Tijan's Subaru Impreza flung Lin Qian about 44m. She died of severe head injuries at the scene.

Mr Tijan, who declined to testify at the inquiry last month, had told the police he realised his car had hit something only when he heard a loud bang.

Investigators also found no brake marks on the road to indicate that the car had tried to stop prior to the collision.

Instead, the souped-up car came to a halt some 15m to 20m away.

Lin Qian was with her grandfather that night on her way to a piano lesson, and the pair were waiting by a bus stop to cross the two-lane Punggol Field Road, at about 8.20pm.

According to her grandfather, she let go of his hand and made to cross the road. He rushed after her but she was hit by Mr Tijan's car.

Contrary to what Mr Tijan had told police, investigations revealed there were no vehicles obstructing the motorist's view.

Coroner Soh said that even if Mr Tijan had not seen the 1.2m-tall girl, her grandfather, right behind her, would have been visible.

Witnesses told police that the car had also accelerated suddenly just prior to the collision and this would have cut down the time available for the driver to slow down or adopt evasive action, added the coroner.

But there was no witness to the actual collision.

The girl's father, Mr Zhao Peiyong, a Chinese national and a permanent resident here, told The Straits Times that he would leave matters to the police and the Attorney-General's Chambers before deciding on his next move.

The aircraft maintenance technician said he found it hard to believe that no one had seen the accident itself as the road is usually crowded at that time.

The father of a three-year-old boy said that his parents had returned to China but had not recovered from the death of their granddaughter.

Lawyers said that if there was a prosecution and conviction for causing death through a negligent act, it would strengthen civil action taken by a victim's family.

Mr Tijan appeared worried after the hearing and declined to speak to reporters.

The court was told that the Traffic Police would be liaising with the Land Transport Authority on prosecuting the car salesman on the illegal modifications done on his Impreza.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Tijan Syafiq Selamat, 27, was driving at 71kmh to 85kmh in a 50kmh zone and never even saw the little girl crossing the road.

That is outright speeding. It is sad a little girl is killed

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The cops know nothing about the mods to cars. The Shit Times had a full page on this the other day, with a pic of a Subaru Impressa and all the supposed illegal mods such as headlights, exhaust, etc. If the idiots know anything about modding a Subaru, it can be done with simply replacing the ECU chip. No need to change anything else that might arouse suspicion.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this mat tua kong liao.. killed pap fav FT's offspring... he better wash clean clean his kar chng... 5-8 years easy..

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fark the PAP for letting in so many wild animals FTs !

Road is road ! What stupid speed limit for peasants .

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this mat tua kong liao.. killed pap fav FT's offspring... he better wash clean clean his kar chng... 5-8 years easy..

Ah Tiong ah pek...PR...permanent rat?...when things gets hot, or he have a grandson...these rattus will scurry back to their motherland, People's Republic Of Chna...faster than you can shout, "fire"!:mad:

V

Vultan

May 18, 2011

Man charged over fatal road accident

By Elena Chong

ST_20154021.jpg

Tijan Syafiq Selamat, 28, is said to have driven at an excessive speed of 71 to 85kmh in a 50kmh zone and failed to keep a proper lookout ahead, hitting Zhao Linqian who was crossing Punggol Field Road, on Dec 1, 2009. --ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

A CAR salesman who was found to be negligent at an inquest into the death of a five-year-old girl in a road traffic accident was charged on Wednesday with causing her death by dangerous driving.

Tijan Syafiq Selamat, 28, is said to have driven at an excessive speed of 71 to 85kmh in a 50kmh zone and failed to keep a proper lookout ahead, hitting Zhao Linqian who was crossing Punggol Field Road, on Dec 1, 2009.

His lawyer, Mr Manoj Nandwani, told the court that he would be making representations.

A pre-trial conference has been set for June 13.

If convicted of the offence under the Road Traffic Act, Tijan can be jailed for up to five years.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe if driver is whitest of the white, maybe another 'thought I hit tree branch' or stray dog... if LEXUS's superior sound proofing gotten that lady 'scott free'.. this Subaru superior noisy engine might have masked the driver's concentration....sad loss of life...

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Car salesman gets 1 week jail for child's death

Driver had hit five-year-old after she let go grandfather's hand and rushed across road

ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS17-QW0.jpg

Zhao Linqian

Five-year-old Zhao Linqian was eager to attend her piano class and went ahead of her grandfather while crossing Punggol Field Road two years ago.

She was hit by a speeding Subaru Impreza WRX, and the impact threw her 43m. The girl, who was wearing a pink dress and white leotard, died on the spot.

Yesterday, Tijan Syafiq Selamat, 29, was jailed for a week for negligent driving that caused her death. He was also disqualified from driving all types of vehicles for five years.

In addition, he was handed the maximum fine of $1,000 for adding illegal modifications to his car.

Read the full story in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
to be honest, i will blame the grandfather rather than the driver.

i never let go hand of kids i am entrust to near the road, esp when we have the intention of crossing.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont believe the news. He drive 71~85km/h and the girl flung 44m away. More likely he speed more than 120km/hr.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
to be honest, i will blame the grandfather rather than the driver.

i never let go hand of kids i am entrust to near the road, esp when we have the intention of crossing.

I never cross roads at all. Nor do I allow the children under my care to do so. I don't want to cause any danger to speeding drivers and I don't think I would want anyone who kills 5-year olds to be locked up in jail. :smile:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never cross roads at all. Nor do I allow the children under my care to do so. I don't want to cause any danger to speeding drivers and I don't think I would want anyone who kills 5-year olds to be locked up in jail. :smile:

You mean if someone drives at speeds of 120 mph or racing with another car hits your child it is ok if he is not jailed? It is easy to say that when you are not personally involved. Anyone can be standing on the pavement and the car can easily get out of control when speeding and hit a pedestrian. Driving a vehicle allows the driver to be in control of a lethal machine and care must be taken to follow safety rules.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

U never cross road. U fly like superman?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait, I Tot Ah Tiong Old Fart Shld No Tis

151237334_251cc55375.jpg

I told you before, must be those old folks again. Every time when I hear old folks get knocked down, the feeling is good ! Democracy has hope again ! Of course, no one wanna tell you that Ah Tiongs come here not only to take your portion away, but he's gonna vote you out from the fascist. That's why the fascist is soooo good to them. Of course, the old folks here are different - we need your precious votes.

Too many 汉奸 hun ghun old folks !

What will you do if you have an folk and a cobra in front of you ?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Wait, I Tot Ah Tiong Old Fart Shld No Tis

anybody here wants to donate money to the prc victim parents ?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean if someone drives at speeds of 120 mph or racing with another car hits your child it is ok if he is not jailed? It is easy to say that when you are not personally involved. Anyone can be standing on the pavement and the car can easily get out of control when speeding and hit a pedestrian. Driving a vehicle allows the driver to be in control of a lethal machine and care must be taken to follow safety rules.

Tell that to vamjok :biggrin: