• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

5 Chaps who tried and failed to take on the Establishment.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me that more than half the cabinet deserve to be kicked out except him. He does not want to run. Somehow I thought you guys knew that.

Dear Scroobal

U better be right about that nugget :_))) Some of us old timers here will hold you to that surprising prediction. If a minister from the last batch was to go ......I would have named a few others apart from him.

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Believe me that more than half the cabinet deserve to be kicked out except him. He does not want to run. Somehow I thought you guys knew that.

Actually Khaw has broken the promise that Balaji made last GE that healthcare cost will not rise. I guess there are multiple reasons for his reluctant to stand again. Well, if it is because he is acting on his own conscience, then I congratulate him and at the least, I will still maintain the minimum respect for him.

I didn't know about his leaving actually. I actually thought he would be the greatest card to guard against the fall of the Aljunied GRC to WP. Seems that heaven got eyes. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

I hear and observe rumors of incompetence and performance failure :_)) One does not expect a decent performer to go for no good reason ? Perhaps he ate the blue pill in one of his meditation holidays ?

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with Mingyi or even Durai. Both these nonsense were inherited from Lim Hng Kiang who gave the assurance to parliament all was well despite an NMP asking why the cost of dialysis was so high at NKF.

Khaw is not a politician.

Actually I roughly know why. It might be the Mingyi's case but to me, that's not worth it.

The PAP's slate of ministers will become unbalanced again if Khaw leaves. I believe he is the only one Buddhist minister left in the cabinet. This is unhealthy since about 50% of population is Buddhist-Taoist.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was one who had the blue pill under the tongue for a very long while. He just does not want to carry on. Very competent chap.

Dear Scroo

I hear and observe rumors of incompetence and performance failure :_)) One does not expect a decent performer to go for no good reason ? Perhaps he ate the blue pill in one of his meditation holidays ?

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Nothing to do with Mingyi or even Durai. Both these nonsense were inherited from Lim Hng Kiang who gave the assurance to parliament all was well despite an NMP asking why the cost of dialysis was so high at NKF.

Khaw is not a politician.

I have a friend who have worked with Khaw before and didn't quite like him. I could not reveal much but this friend is a very mild guy and I was surprised that he could dislike a person so much. :wink:

Well, if Khaw is to leave the scene, then all the best to WP. As I can see, he is the only obstacle to WP wrestling one GRC in the next GE. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

Him and dear old Heng Swee Kweat were on the A list for potential candidates from the last GE. HSK was a DS and KBW a PS before their elevation. He gave up being a head of civil service for public life with a blue pill under his tongue ? I mean he knew abt the PAP ministers and their calibre or lack of or their policies and which policies they would reject. I can only surmise he had a pet project which he did not get through as a politician which be believe strongly in as a Top Mandarin

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Khaw is not running at the next GE.

Pretty surprised to hear that and not sure of the reason if it is true but I understand that this is one fellow who acts independently of other PAP decision makers -- and often not in the positive way. Gave others who dealt with him that they were dealing with a "snake".

He promised several high fliers that he would show the way for them to be a PAP candidate when he isn't involved in the candidate selection committee. Some got pissed.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, you could've fooled me.

I was there 1988-90, and from what I saw was Sumiko Tan always covering news involving holy goh (PM), plus the JBJ defamation suits.

Cheong Yip Seng (Chief Editor) was always hovering behind her shoulders (with the editor of ST in between:p).

Behind the threesome would be the chap from the library, and behind all of them, me.:eek:

Then when Pinky became PM, he chose his own favorite, and Sumiko Tan was booted off to head Life.

Cherian, at that time, was a nobody, even less so than Koh Buck Song.

Cherian while being the lead Political correspondent of SPH forgot his place and made light of parliamentin an article. Wong Kan Seng, as whip threathened to have parliament charge CG with comtempt if he did not apologise. CG apologised. To his credit, he used to write quite incisively about parliament (and the last journalist to do so). He is now a critic but never touches the scared issues and plays well inside the OB markers.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at his portfolio, he has only 1 other political appointee in it. No Minister of State etc. He appears to be a some sort of control freak but he always answers his portfolio queries which is smiliar to the old days but a rare thing nowdays. Like Howe and Richard Hu, I don't think he is there for the politics.

I suspect that he is on his spiritual journey. Frankly Swee Kiat is the least political animal in the menagerie. They might offer him the Howe/Hu/Khaw equation where he is allowed to have the blue pill under the tongue. If that is the case, there must be Ministry that needs urgent attention - transport of finance. Manpower and Education is out as it is political as the PAP. It has to be similar to Health where political parochialism cannot be entrenched.

I have a friend who have worked with Khaw before and didn't quite like him. I could not reveal much but this friend is a very mild guy and I was surprised that he could dislike a person so much. :wink:

Well, if Khaw is to leave the scene, then all the best to WP. As I can see, he is the only obstacle to WP wrestling one GRC in the next GE. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Dear Scroo

Him and dear old Heng Swee Kweat were on the A list for potential candidates from the last GE. HSK was a DS and KBW a PS before their elevation. He gave up being a head of civil service for public life with a blue pill under his tongue ? I mean he knew abt the PAP ministers and their calibre or lack of or their policies and which policies they would reject. I can only surmise he had a pet project which he did not get through as a politician which be believe strongly in as a Top Mandarin

Locke

Pretty surprised to hear that and not sure of the reason if it is true but I understand that this is one fellow who acts independently of other PAP decision makers -- and often not in the positive way. Gave others who dealt with him that they were dealing with a "snake".

He promised several high fliers that he would show the way for them to be a PAP candidate when he isn't involved in the candidate selection committee. Some got pissed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cherian was uncovered when his reports were obviously well above others and began appearings in front page despite it being parliamentery commentary. Sumiko has an infatuation complex. She will ask and get what she wants. She never seem to follow the political or the apolitical career path but smart anough not get caught in between.

Cherian was a designate for the Editor's post. All that has since fallen thru and I suspect it was very much mutual.

You do know that he is Yacoob' brother in law and his wife (Yacoob's sister) is one time Political Editor.

Well, you could've fooled me.

I was there 1988-90, and from what I saw was Sumiko Tan always covering news involving holy goh (PM), plus the JBJ defamation suits.

Cheong Yip Seng (Chief Editor) was always hovering behind her shoulders (with the editor of ST in between:p).

Behind the threesome would be the chap from the library, and behind all of them, me.:eek:

Then when Pinky became PM, he chose his own favorite, and Sumiko Tan was booted off to head Life.

Cherian, at that time, was a nobody, even less so than Koh Buck Song.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought I will address this separately.

Teo is probabaly the only person that seem to have the reach when engaging the P65 which is a priority target for the PAP. No other politician has that including young chaps like Chris de Souza, Michael Palmer as their profession does not allow them to make that kind of contact. Teo however is not minister or captain of industry material. They would have to take out the heartware of MYCS to make him suitable - more an agency than a ministry.

Viv and Ng are in battle to get the top job. Teo Chee Hean was specially brought via by-elections was the actual PM designate but not sure if he still keen or the age does not favour him.

I once thought Vivian Balakrishnan would become natural leader of new generation ministers . Now I feel in terms of exposure, Teo Ser Luck surprisingly look to be in the limelight with looks, opportunity, physique etc IS he too lightweight to be a future PM ?

The rest - Lui Tuck Yew (what a name!) & what not ..... no future PM material in sight... sigh

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly its a bloody waste of time. This Angmo married this lady and seems glad to inherit his wife's baggage of a previous marriage. And I don't know why the rest of Singapore has to endure it. Sure there are tidbits to chew on a boring and downcast day but its paranoia. The whole things revolves around Helen Yeo. Now Philip Jeyaretnam and by a sibling link, KJ is now his focus of supporting arms trafficking over the Balraj Naidu case. Tomorrow's Helen Yeo will trip over a pavement stone and we will get to know that as well.

I was in London recently and browsing at Foyles. They had their book lined next to David Brazil's book on singapore prostitution as cover depicts to heavily made up ladies trying to look seductive. The store people thought it was another book on sex and I thought it was very apt.

Then again, it could be a smart and cheap bastard milking his wife's story for booksales.

You think those tales of Yeo Cheow Tong & wife are true ?

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Say what you will, but what he uncovered of Charles Waterhouse "Chip" Goodyear IV was, to me, some good detective work.

Frankly its a bloody waste of time. This Angmo married this lady and seems glad to inherit his wife's baggage of a previous marriage. And I don't know why the rest of Singapore has to endure it. Sure there are tidbits to chew on a boring and downcast day but its paranoia. The whole things revolves around Helen Yeo. Now Philip Jeyaretnam and by a sibling link, KJ is now his focus of supporting arms trafficking over the Balraj Naidu case. Tomorrow's Helen Yeo will trip over a pavement stone and we will get to know that as well.

I was in London recently and browsing at Foyles. They had their book lined next to David Brazil's book on singapore prostitution as cover depicts to heavily made up ladies trying to look seductive. The store people thought it was another book on sex and I thought it was very apt.

Then again, it could be a smart and cheap bastard milking his wife's story for booksales.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey Guys, pardon me - what do you guys mean by ' blue pill under the tongue'?

Scroo's revelation that Khaw will NOT run in next GE surprised me greatly. I agree he is not a natural politician - probably felt he has done his NS & will like to continue his spiritual journey. Somehow, he exuded a certain serenity that's less obnoxious as his predecessors like Howe, Tay Cheang Wan etc.

I feel Teo Chee HEan would have been PM had LHL not existed. Perhaps he would be one day for a short while as politics become more short term & dynamic in the years ahead.

Age-wise, I agree Ng Eng Hen & Vivien are close contenders.

As long as LKY lives, the overtly ambitious politician will stay in the shadows. It is not the convention to have personal ambition to be PM - all must stress teamwork, giving back to society etc.

Many have observed the fallacy that PAP ministers are so talented - that they are on par with other MNC top execs. All note that if not for GLC positions, ex-ministers have not mkt value in private sector. Take out SemCorp, CapitalLand, Keppel, PSA, ST, JTC etc etc, all ex-ministers & ex-civil service high fliers will 'tann-boh-chiak'....

The list is endless: Lee Yoke Suan, Dr Lee Boon Yang, Yeo Cheow Tong, Yeo Ning Hong, David Lim, Ng Pock Too etc etc.

The 2 ex-Shell CEO, Dr Richard Hu & something-Chen (shits, slip my mind) - where are they now ?

I am afraid public service politicians will one day evolve to be like US politico types - serve one-two terms, then back to private sector, then old boys' network will reinforce the elite establishment.

The 2 decade / life long politician will be a rarity or be extinct in due course .....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comes from the Movie "Matrix" - red pill (truth and may or may not be palatable) vs ignorant bliss ( you beleive what you want to believe). In the philosophy of old, its truth vs happiness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redpill

The trick of course is not to swallow anything but to continously ask questions. Pill under the tongue is not consuming it but may give time and opportunity to spit it out.

Agree on the serenity part.

Chee was indeed the original chosen one. Old man has this notion (and he maybe right) that leaders with financial indepence could not be blackmailed, arm twisted or pressured. He actually contemplated a senate or a house of lords based on his doctrine that those with big stakes in the country will ensure its stablility and more importantly its status quo. Chee comes from a wealthy background associated with the OCBC clan. Old Man felt that GCT was susceptible to pressure and made that known on a number of occasions. GCT does come from a more humble background, mother a Chinese teacher. It was the probably the last act by Tea Master Lim Kim San ( also a scion of a landed gentry) and old man to pick the last PM under their influence thought he ran under GCT PMship. However Chee seemed not as ambitious especially in view of the age gap with LHL and the latter recovery from cancer.

Hey Guys, pardon me - what do you guys mean by ' blue pill under the tongue'?

Scroo's revelation that Khaw will NOT run in next GE surprised me greatly. I agree he is not a natural politician - probably felt he has done his NS & will like to continue his spiritual journey. Somehow, he exuded a certain serenity that's less obnoxious as his predecessors like Howe, Tay Cheang Wan etc.

I feel Teo Chee HEan would have been PM had LHL not existed. Perhaps he would be one day for a short while as politics become more short term & dynamic in the years ahead.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now that there is a clear gap between the first team of leaders and this team, the fallacy is indeed apparent. They are not exceptional and many are not leaders. Interestingly they also don't fit the bill of a politician.

Not cutting Lim Chee Onn completely has created a GLC monster. GLCs don't have the overview and oversight of PSC and therefore nepotism and patronage and others abuses cannot be examined.

Many have observed the fallacy that PAP ministers are so talented - that they are on par with other MNC top execs. All note that if not for GLC positions, ex-ministers have not mkt value in private sector. Take out SemCorp, CapitalLand, Keppel, PSA, ST, JTC etc etc, all ex-ministers & ex-civil service high fliers will 'tann-boh-chiak'....

The list is endless: Lee Yoke Suan, Dr Lee Boon Yang, Yeo Cheow Tong, Yeo Ning Hong, David Lim, Ng Pock Too etc etc.

The 2 ex-Shell CEO, Dr Richard Hu & something-Chen (shits, slip my mind) - where are they now ?

I am afraid public service politicians will one day evolve to be like US politico types - serve one-two terms, then back to private sector, then old boys' network will reinforce the elite establishment.

The 2 decade / life long politician will be a rarity or be extinct in due course .....

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I always thought Khaw is a political animal though; I mean with all his posturing, positioning and taking charge directly on issues instead of letting others to stand in....etc. It is exceptional performance to start with, in view of the present slate of ministers. He is one that is always willing to stand upright on the firing front to deflect all questions, unlike many other ministers. This is why I am very surprise that he chose not to stand in next GE for all his political effort in and off parliament. Maybe there is ambition unfulfillable?

Vivian is a gone case. Tried very hard in the beginning but for the past few years, hardly hard of. I guess he has become a very tamed political animal or is he staying low to buy time?

If Ng is slated to be on that top job, Heaven saves Singapore! We definitely don't need another LKY for Singapore's future development.

Goh Meng Seng

I thought I will address this separately.

Teo is probabaly the only person that seem to have the reach when engaging the P65 which is a priority target for the PAP. No other politician has that including young chaps like Chris de Souza, Michael Palmer as their profession does not allow them to make that kind of contact. Teo however is not minister or captain of industry material. They would have to take out the heartware of MYCS to make him suitable - more an agency than a ministry.

Viv and Ng are in battle to get the top job. Teo Chee Hean was specially brought via by-elections was the actual PM designate but not sure if he still keen or the age does not favour him.