• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

4 cornered fight likely in Hougang by election

RandomMonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is likely to happen:

- One PAP candidate
- One WP candidate
- YSL to stand as independent (or under a new party, perhaps NSP)
- One SDP candidate

Expect the PAP candidate to win with around 30% of the votes, with a tiny winning margin (could be in the double digits) mirroring the Tony Tan situation in the Presidential Election race.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's be realistic. HG is and has always been a WP stronghold after LTK's hard work. Moreover, this is the best time to witness the by-election effect. I wager WP will be returned to HG with overwhelming majority. PAP has got no chance - zilch.I wonder if LTK can pull Gerald or Yee out from NCMP and stand in HG. They have good credentials.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's be realistic. HG is and has always been a WP stronghold after LTK's hard work. Moreover, this is the best time to witness the by-election effect. I wager WP will be returned to HG with overwhelming majority. PAP has got no chance - zilch.I wonder if LTK can pull Gerald or Yee out from NCMP and stand in HG. They have good credentials.

I would venture against Gerald or Yee for 2 reasons:

1) WP would keep to 8 seats instead of 7
2) Both are unsuitable for Hougang ground. Frankly, Yee (and ex-member Eric) is just nice for Joo Chiat or Holland types of ground, whereas Gerald can do well in new estates like Punggol or Sengkang. Hougang (and places like Whampoa) need a Yaw type. Png, FC, Toh Hong Boon types will score better in Hougang.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to agree with your arguments. As Scro said, bird in hand logic.

2) Both are unsuitable for Hougang ground. Frankly, Yee (and ex-member Eric) is just nice for Joo Chiat or Holland types of ground, whereas Gerald can do well in new estates like Punggol or Sengkang. Hougang (and places like Whampoa) need a Yaw type. Png, FC, Toh Hong Boon types will score better in Hougang.

chiakapon

I think Png is the best candidate for HG by-election as he can connect to hokkien/teochew grounds very well. He is well-spoken and fluent both in english n hokkien....

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gerald or Yee both have zero pressence in hougang.... you obviously dunno ground or WP...

good call .... but Png, FC, Toh Hong Boon are all not in hougang as long as Swee Bee has been

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
good call .... but Png, FC, Toh Hong Boon are all not in hougang as long as Swee Bee has been

I pick the 3 because they have the linguistic ability to reach out to the diverse groups in Hougang, like Yaw. SB may be a long time member and hard worker but does not share the same linguistic ability, also rather distant and unambitious - key traits for politicians/candidates are speech, approachability and spur.

I forget Koh CY too. Suitable traits for Hougang, but might be too assertive for the old folks.

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
My pick: GLENDA HAN!!!

I pick the 3 because they have the linguistic ability to reach out to the diverse groups in Hougang, like Yaw. SB may be a long time member and hard worker but does not share the same linguistic ability, also rather distant and unambitious - key traits for politicians/candidates are speech, approachability and spur.

I forget Koh CY too. Suitable traits for Hougang, but might be too assertive for the old folks.

vote here

http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?110206-Who-will-WP-field-for-Hougang-by-election

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will GMS participate as independent? A good chance to get back at WP.

GMS would need a party to contest. Maybe the SDP can be his vehicle?

TJS would be a better bet. WP may have to give way to him. What more if he is sponsor by SDP. Sure win one.

BlueWave

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS would need a party to contest. Maybe the SDP can be his vehicle?

TJS would be a better bet. WP may have to give way to him. What more if he is sponsor by SDP. Sure win one.

gms can contest as independent candidate. but he will not of course. even a retard like him knows better than to risk his already limited reputation, face and $$ (deposit) on it. he will not want to be mock like tan kin lian.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not Lilian. Quite fierce at SengKang during GE.
Better still, LTK pull out from Aljunied GRC.
GRC short of 1 person also no need for by-election, right?

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Why not Lilian. Quite fierce at SengKang during GE.
Better still, LTK pull out from Aljunied GRC.
GRC short of 1 person also no need for by-election, right?

I don't think that will happen. This is political suicide. Aljunied voted for Worker's Party because their Captain came with his team of trusted aides. To desert the voters of Aljunied and going back to Hougang SMC, expect to see the backlash in 2016 and PAP will have a field day harping on it. The Worker's party is trying very hard to consolidate themselves in Aljunied, just like what LTK has been doing in Hougang for years. I personally dont think LTK will go for it. He will blood the newcomers.

skponggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
One can analysed and explain a possible 4-cornered in Hougang in simple layman term by referencing to Louis Cha's novel: 倚天屠龙记...

倚天屠龙记 (The Choice of PAP Sword and Opposition Sabre) Chapter 20 : 六大门派围攻明教总坛 in Hougang...

During the decisive 襄阳之役 (Operation Cold Store), the Mongols crushed the Opposition parties and wiped out charismatic Opposition Leaders like 郭靖 & 黄蓉 (LCS & FSS).

The Great Mongol Khan had proudly proclaimed: "When Cold Store begins, the world shall hold its breath and make no comment." Even to this day, the lost souls of that decisive battle remain unmourned....

Thereafter, the Mongols had a monopoly over the parliament. And thru constant division and endless squabblings among the Opposition parties, the Mongols continue to maintain a tight grip over the parliament...... until the rise of 明教....

Last edited:

skponggol

Alfrescian
Loyal

明教 is actually an Opposition party of foreign origin, imported from the Middle East. Its founder was rumoured to be a Jew descended from the Lost City of Babylon.

Grieved by the history of the long-suffering Babylonian Jews under the cruel reign of Nebuchadnezzar as well as inspired by their ultimate liberation, 明教 founder vowed to liberate the long-suffering people of this Land from the Mongol tyranny.

However, 明教 founder went into a mysterious early political retirement and thereafter 明教 underwent a period of gradual decline.....

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Belongs to the same "market" as Gerald Giam. Would do better at Sengkang.

The only WP member who can sweep all the Hougang teochew aunties off their feet is Ramseth.

(1) He is Teochew
(2) His linguistic abilities are unrivalled
(3) He is very handsome
(4) He ensures that there will be no stray dogs in Hougang SMC, especially during cold weather
(5) He is a fighter, remember how Psy83 was completely outclassed

Most importantly, Ramseth has that "X" factor that can connect him with the legacy of his predecessor.

Ramseth has all the attributes of a Hougang MP.

Last edited: