• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

36-year-old banker who used to earn $300,000 to $400,000 per annum frustrated at labo

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
36-year-old banker who used to earn $300,000 to $400,000 per annum frustrated at labour policies

First of all, thanks for allowing us to interview you online AJ and can you provide us with some background information on yourself?

i am a 36 year old Singaporean lady and earned my Economics degree and MBA from a top-notched business school. My last drawn was between $300,000 to $400,000 per annum.

What was your last occupation and you have told me that you were unemployed for a few months, can you tell us more about this and also your job search experience?

Been in finance industry (doing the same thing) for 15 years. Unemployed for 18 months. Initially, frustrating and embarrassing. Now more of frustrating and angry (especially after the MOM 2015 statistics).

I must also add that I applied to all government and government related organizations (Temasek, GIC, MAS, Ministry of Finance), and the local banks (OCBC, UOB and DBS) but am faced with repeated rejections or was simply ignored. Not too sure what MAS and Ministry of Finance mean when they say they are looking to develop a strong Singaporean core for the finance industry (and in fact every industry).

You have told me that you are currently jobless for more than six months, what did you do in order to survive? Did you also approach the CDC for assistance?

Giving tuition. Yes I did approach CDC but they rejected me. I am living with my parents and siblings and they told me to rely on their incomes.

Did you attend any interviews during the past few months and why do you think you are unsuccessful so far?

Yes still going for interviews. Length of time out of market (which was technically not my fault because I had been actively looking since 2014). Competition, I reckon.

Tell us abit more about what you have learnt from your jobless experience and how it has impacted your family.

I am actively exploring roles overseas. I used to be an significant contributor to our family’s household living expenses. Now, not only am I not a contributor, I am instead relying on them.

What do you think you could have done to shorten the unemployment period?

Do not know. 6 months into my search, I was already looking for contract roles.

Do you think that Singapore is now a more difficult place to make a living?

Singapore is definitely more attractive to foreigners and hence more competitive. With Chinese increasingly being a language requirement in Hong Kong, anyone with no Chinese language capabilities will pick Singapore as a location to gain Asia work experience. Singapore is also taking steps like bringing in top end restaurants, musicals, art galleries. These make Singapore more attractive for foreigners to live in.

What do you think the government can do to alleviate the current employment situation?

They know what to do. They are making regular statements on what they want and should do. Perhaps it is time to put them into execution mode. For a start, maybe start practicing Fair Consideration?

Many people have blame foreigners for competing jobs with us, what is your view on this?

As above.

Lastly, whats your advice for those who are still jobless and feeling down?

Keep moving forward.

End of interview
- See more at: http://www.transitioning.org/2016/0...ated-at-labour-policies/#sthash.qse53QTU.dpuf

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 36-year-old banker who used to earn $300,000 to $400,000 per annum frustrated at

How come no one ask who did she vote for?:biggrin:

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: 36-year-old banker who used to earn $300,000 to $400,000 per annum frustrated at

Alot of these sinkies when up there will yaya papaya, pawn other sinkies, favour angmos. Later they got replaced themselves then they say unfair!

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

If she had voted pappies, she deserved it.

The pappies wanted their supporters to believe that they are running the island nation for the welfare and interest of local sinkies but is it?

How could an experienced local finance veteran be out of job for 6 months while a foreigner would easily find a job in sinapo in one month?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If she had voted pappies, she deserved it.

The pappies wanted their supporters to believe that they are running the island nation for the welfare and interest of local sinkies but is it?

How could an experienced local finance veteran be out of job for 6 months while a foreigner would easily find a job in sinapo in one month?

The bitch must be looking for high end finance jobs. You think she will apply to those sai kang jobs?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I don't understand this woman, It seems that she is not married and is single. Lives with the parents and siblings. In other words, her overhead is very small. No rent to pay, no mortgage to pay. Exactly what did she do with her $300K-$400k per annum? Spend it all? Even if she saved only $200K a year, that is a lot of money that could have tide her over in these situations. usually, this kind of salary is based on sales. She has a fixed portion and then bonus and commissions. If she is in the sales part, as a asset manager or portfolio manager, she will never be short of a job. One of my friends worked as a portfolio manager, and was very good at it. when he left, he took his whole book of accounts with him. He simply told his new employer that he had a book of accounts numbering 300 high net worth individuals with combined xxx in funds under management. He told his new employers that he will call as many clients as possible from his old book of accounts and try to bring them over to the new employer. he never had any problems getting employment.

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal

this line tells you all "36 year old single". What do you expect. Even my neighbour's daughter who is fat and ugly got hitched at age 30.

Alfrescian
Loyal

36 years old and earning $300k to $400k per year.....assuming she has been at this for at least 3 years, she should have built up good enough savings to tough it out.

if the family is supporting her now means she is one of those that has overspent her earnings and has virtually ziltch savings....too bad...

still single? looks like going to be left on the shelf unless picked up by some Ang moh at age 40+......

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal

fact the interviewee expressed hope/expectation the white scum should do this do that confirmed this is a daft, silent 70% that dun have the idea that the voting slip is the best hope, best voice.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Alot of these sinkies when up there will yaya papaya, pawn other sinkies, favour angmos. Later they got replaced themselves then they say unfair!

Females are big supporters of the PAP.
Maybe in the past they were given preferential treatment but I think they are losing out to the foreigners.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

A person who earns $300k a year for a couple of years need not worry about money for decades if he or she is not a spendthrift. What sort of high life style was she living? Not everyone is as wealthy as John Tan, you know.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Top Notched University?

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal

she could work as NEA enforcement for littering,smoking,mozzie wipeout related work for $300~400 a week...

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal

Top Notched University?

She said "top notched business school". Maybe she was referring to Stansfield Business School @ Serangoon Central.

Perhaps "top-notch" would be more correct.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

this story is totally fake construct of gilbert goh,previously earn $300,000 and approach CDC for help?why dont she just sell one of her piles of gucci or prada or dom perignon lieing around?can u imagine a persone previously earning $300,000 going to CDC to ask for a $200 handout assistance?what is she a malay single mother with three kids?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just another fabricated article by the Opposition. Par for the course. :rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't understand this woman, It seems that she is not married and is single. Lives with the parents and siblings. In other words, her overhead is very small. No rent to pay, no mortgage to pay. Exactly what did she do with her $300K-$400k per annum? Spend it all? Even if she saved only $200K a year, that is a lot of money that could have tide her over in these situations. usually, this kind of salary is based on sales. She has a fixed portion and then bonus and commissions. If she is in the sales part, as a asset manager or portfolio manager, she will never be short of a job. One of my friends worked as a portfolio manager, and was very good at it. when he left, he took his whole book of accounts with him. He simply told his new employer that he had a book of accounts numbering 300 high net worth individuals with combined xxx in funds under management. He told his new employers that he will call as many clients as possible from his old book of accounts and try to bring them over to the new employer. he never had any problems getting employment.

Yes I knew a few chaps in insurance. They were actually poached by rival companies with joining incentives....upfront cash quarter million up.....some getting as much as half a mill.....those taking their staff along get even more.
Some time ago GE even sued one of their ah neh sales directors of theirs when he quit and wanted to pass on his clients to his son.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Earning 300to400k per annum still need to work now :confused: