• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2015 NDP Rehearsal - Terrex breaks down

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The only plus of it was that it could really swim, but if ST had reverse engineered this water propulsion system, they sure as hell did not put it into their following vehicles.

ST didn't reserve engineered the water propulsion system into the bionix that for sure. Instead ST boffins came out with the idiotic system that had the bionix under the waterline with only a few pieces of steel pipe and a piece of waterproof canvas to keep the water from getting in. The bionix is even slower than the M113 in water ops. while the M113 also use metal pipe and canvas to keep water out, at least the M113 is floating in the first place, the M113 canvas is just additional protection against strong wave.

But the bionix floatation kit didn't make the vehicle float totally as the vehicle is UNDER the waterline. The vehicle commander has to climb out of the turret and stand on jury rigged platform at the front of the vehicle to look over the floatation kit to guide the driver. This expose the VC to enemy small arms fire. In fact a couple shots onto any of the four main pipes that holding up the canvas would let water pour into the bionix. At 3km/h in water, the bionix is sitting duck to even 5.56 fire. so it become a catch 22 situation to the crews, sit inside the trooper compartment and be trap inside in event the floatation collapse or stand on top of the vehicle top deck and expose to enemy fire. I experienced night river crossing in the bionix during reservist at one of the reservoirs near sarimbum and I never felt more scare in my live while donning No.4 as the bionix nearly overturn in the water as the comms fail so driver didn't hear the VC direction. I tell myself that I rather risk heavy enemy fire to cross a bridge than deploy that joke of a floatation device. even the vehicle evacation drill in the bionix is way more dangerous than in the M113. if given a choice, I bet most of us who trained in the Ultra during active will still prefer the upgraded M113.

I sure would like to know which ST boffin "invented" the bionix amphibious float kit. I will want him/her to take a ride in it while crossing from Singapore to pulau ubin and can still tell me in a straight face that his "invention" is a good idea in peacetime never mind water assault in wartime.:oIo:

m2bradleyswim.jpg

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
As far as one recalls, afew sank in the river. Got to chop chop recover:o

........... I experienced night river crossing in the bionix during reservist at one of the reservoirs near sarimbum and I never felt more scare in my live while donning No.4 as the bionix nearly overturn in the water ..........

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
ST didn't reserve engineered the water propulsion system into the bionix that for sure. Instead ST boffins came out with the idiotic system that had the bionix under the waterline with only a few pieces of steel pipe and a piece of waterproof canvas to keep the water from getting in. The bionix is even slower than the M113 in water ops. while the M113 also use metal pipe and canvas to keep water out, at least the M113 is floating in the first place, the M113 canvas is just additional protection against strong wave.

But the bionix floatation kit didn't make the vehicle float totally as the vehicle is UNDER the waterline. The vehicle commander has to climb out of the turret and stand on jury rigged platform at the front of the vehicle to look over the floatation kit to guide the driver. This expose the VC to enemy small arms fire. In fact a couple shots onto any of the four main pipes that holding up the canvas would let water pour into the bionix. At 3km/h in water, the bionix is sitting duck to even 5.56 fire. so it become a catch 22 situation to the crews, sit inside the trooper compartment and be trap inside in event the floatation collapse or stand on top of the vehicle top deck and expose to enemy fire. I experienced night river crossing in the bionix during reservist at one of the reservoirs near sarimbum and I never felt more scare in my live while donning No.4 as the bionix nearly overturn in the water as the comms fail so driver didn't hear the VC direction. I tell myself that I rather risk heavy enemy fire to cross a bridge than deploy that joke of a floatation device. even the vehicle evacation drill in the bionix is way more dangerous than in the M113. if given a choice, I bet most of us who trained in the Ultra during active will still prefer the upgraded M113.

I sure would like to know which ST boffin "invented" the bionix amphibious float kit. I will want him/her to take a ride in it while crossing from Singapore to pulau ubin and can still tell me in a straight face that his "invention" is a good idea in peacetime never mind water assault in wartime.:oIo:

View attachment 22467

The floatation screen device does not work, and it never has. The idiots at ST are even stupid to try it. The first use of the floatation device to my knowledge was during the Normandy landings when Dual Drive (DD) Sherman tanks used the screen. It could not be used in rough waters, because the screen would get swamped and collapse. Even the wave of a boat passing by could collapse the screen. Under fire, it was much worse as you pointed out. Many Allied DD crews drowned in their tanks. Mostly during the Cold War, armies on both sides use snorkel devices for their tanks to cross rivers. But now, we have the Bionix which is fully amphibious. Our Lepoard 2 uses a snorkel system. But I don't think we bought it.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As far as one recalls, afew sank in the river. Got to chop chop recover:o

Yeah... Water crossing training always get postpone because other battalion bx sunk. That why that orange buoy very important as one of the trooper suppose to deploy it before abandon ship, sorry bionix.

The bx is not, I repeat, is not amphibious as it a death trap in water.

Last edited:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
alamak this type of design oso got?? WTF
no wonder cannot sell this shit!! the pple responsible have already got their multiple promotions & along with it, multiple orgasms!!!!!!!!!1 Huat Ah

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The floatation screen device does not work, and it never has. The idiots at ST are even stupid to try it. The first use of the floatation device to my knowledge was during the Normandy landings when Dual Drive (DD) Sherman tanks used the screen.

the sherman dd tank was also called the "donald duck" or sometimes more pessimistically "dead duck".

image.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yeah... Water crossing training always get postpone because other battalion bx sunk. That why that orange buoy very important as one of the trooper suppose to deploy it before abandon ship, sorry bionix.

The bx is not, I repeat, is not amphibious as it a death trap in water.

I wonder how many NSmen drowned or got injured in Bionix and never reported by the media?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time during war games, they said the M113 cannot cross water sources, however shallow.

And that was computer war games.