• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2015 NDP Rehearsal - Terrex breaks down

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
amx10 was a mistake, I think only 1-2 batch of 42 trained in them. suppose to be good in water crossing, right?

I don't consider it a mistake. Unless something was wrong with it that I am not aware of. It was fully amphibious, and in the SAF offensive policy at that time, I guess it was needed. But now there are so much bridging equipment in the SAF, i guess all armour is crossing dry instead of swimming for it. I think at one time, they consider it a replacement for the AMX-13. They bought one battalion to try but it was not a significant improvement on the AMX-13 and it had to be ordered new which cost more then the -13. I guess at that time, it was more cost effective to upgrade the AMX-13 to SM1 standard then it was to buy more -10s. The only mistake was there was a cheaper alternative at that time.

With the retirement of the -13 and -10, the problem is now there is no direct tank support for infantry battalions. The Bionix are used in the AI role, and Terrex are used for the Guards units. But non of them have tank guns anyway. But the normal SIRs are not going to get any direct large calibre fire support from a mobile armour vehicle. I think this is the mistake. The Leo 2 is too big to follow the infantry every where.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
So that is the whole story........... after Dr Richard Kwok got multiple promotion for armouring Bionix (actual done by IBD ie Diesenroth...). Does that mean to win you must wheel n deal??????????????????????

ST Engineering has been going downhill for a long time. The old SAE and Chartered Industries were more adaptable and innovative.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ST Engineering has been going downhill for a long time. The old SAE and Chartered Industries were more adaptable and innovative.

ST Eng almost every industry also want to "step a leg in" but cannot make it big without the help of ah gong's backing using tax payers $$$ as funding.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
ST Eng almost every industry also want to "step a leg in" but cannot make it big without the help of ah gong's backing using tax payers $$$ as funding.

Their plan has always been to do overseas exports of military equipment to offset the cost, like the Israeli do with their defense industry. But since they have mostly failed in this (except by accidentally winning the UK Bronco order), the taxpayer ends up bearing the cost of the R & D, and production startup.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
fire works!!!! hope the debris land at the right spot and we can have a new garbent the next day

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg's amx-10pac with 90mm gun.

image.jpg

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah lao eh,why our 3G state of the art 13 billion dollar a year SAF armor regiment dont have this tiong woon emergency breakdown and recovery rescue vehicle?

T0VIeTZ.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah lao eh,why our 3G state of the art 13 billion dollar a year SAF armor regiment dont have this tiong woon emergency breakdown and recovery rescue vehicle?

don't worry. they have the m728 combat engineer vehicle (cev), the bionix armored recovery vehicle (arv), and the new leo2 combat engineer cum recovery vehicle.

the bionix arv....art arf arf barf!!!

image.jpg

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think its that much better, in fact, you don't have to go that far to look for a better vehicle. Timoney makes a 8 X 8 wheeled IFV called the CM-32 Clouded Leopard with the Taiwanese. This is a far more versatile vehicle. Its about the same size and weight as the Terrex, but it can mount a 105mm tank gun as well as as a 120mm mortar. the ROC army has already ordered 600 vehicles. Way more than the Terrex the SAF has bought.

I am very impressed with your detailed knowledge about the Armour Formation, as well as the various tanks and AI motor vehicles, although it appears that you have ROD a long time ago.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't consider it a mistake. Unless something was wrong with it that I am not aware of.

purchase was deliberate. they buy a batch of this and a batch of that for "transfer of technology" in order to do reverse engineering and copy from them. it's the fastest way for ste to "jump" the learning and knowledge curve. :wink:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
purchase was deliberate. they buy a batch of this and a batch of that for "transfer of technology" in order to do reverse engineering and copy from them. it's the fastest way for ste to "jump" the learning and knowledge curve. :wink:

Not much to learn from. The vehicle was not popularly sold throughout the world. The armour was aluminum similar to the M113 we already used. The level of protection was similar to the AMX-13. Its HS engine was in my opinion inferior to the Detroit Diesels used in the M113. And the vehicle was high, much higher then the AMX-13. The 90mm main gun was not significantly superior to the 75mm of the AMX-13. The only advantage I can see was that at the time of the purchase, the PAC-90 could fire a APFSDS round. The AMX acquired this capability a few years later. There are cheaper ways to develop an APFSDS round then buying a whole battalion. The only plus of it was that it could really swim, but if ST had reverse engineered this water propulsion system, they sure as hell did not put it into their following vehicles.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quite a few observers rate the Terrex quite highly. This is one of them:

[video=youtube;rab56TVH7Z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rab56TVH7Z8[/video]

Here's another:

[video=youtube;W6GlqKzhvG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GlqKzhvG0[/video]

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Quite a few observers rate the Terrex quite highly. This is one of them:

[video=youtube;rab56TVH7Z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rab56TVH7Z8[/video]

Here's another:

[video=youtube;W6GlqKzhvG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GlqKzhvG0[/video]

Most of these are not APC. I am sure the person making the video does not know what an APC is. I see alot of ICV and some AFVs.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;C9ivytpUD64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ivytpUD64[/video]

Maybe this video is more towards APC.
Seems like everybody copy, cut and paste from each other. :smile: