• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1st round: Malaysia 2 Vietnam 0

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe indonesia and malaysia cannot see epl (bpl):confused::rolleyes:

thats why indo and m-league attendance better than 219.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/how-europe-killing-singaporean-football-045489 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How Europe is killing Singaporean football
The beautiful game is having a torrid time in football-crazy Singapore, and here's why
By John Davidson 20 October, 2010

The future of local football isn't looking too bright right now.

Empty stadiums, sponsor indifference, brawling players, poor facilities and staid matches. Singapore’s professional football competition, the S-League, is in a tough spot.

Fifteen years after its inception, with the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) pulling the country out of the Malaysian Cup to start its own competition, the S-League is enduring its most difficult season to date.

According to sources inside the FAS, attendances have slumped to an average of 2,100 this year.

Few sponsors signing up and a brawl breaking out on the field have followed dwindling crowds in 2010.

Two teams -- the Young Lions and Beijing Guoan -- did their best interpretation of a Bruce Lee film mixed with WWE wresting, in a recent match that had to be abandoned. The ugly scenes were beamed around the world and it was not a good look.

At the same time, the Singaporean national team failed to qualify for the World Cup (again), missed out on qualifying for the Asian Cup (again) and have just returned from a trip to Serbia amid accusations of unprofessional behavior.

In a football-mad country like Singapore it’s fair to ask, where did it all go wrong?
Singapore football: In need of a boost.
Is the BPL to blame?

Part of the problem is the success of the Barclays Premier League (BPL), the Champions League and other European football competitions. Increasingly, Singaporeans would rather watch Ronaldo, Drogba or Messi strut their stuff on TV then head to a local ground to watch the S-League.

ESPN STAR Sports football journalist Kelvin Leong says this is a problem not just for Singapore but also for most Southeast Asian nations.

“The only reason leagues like the Indonesian and Malaysian leagues don’t get affected as much as the S-League is simply down to the country’s population,” says Leong.

“The BPL, Spanish La Liga and Italian Serie A have huge followings in this part of the world and their players have god-like status amongst fans.”

“Especially in a country where the population is around four million, the amount of fans willing to forgo Wayne Rooney to catch the S-League players in action is slim.”
Foreign factors are not helping

Leong believes it’s unfair to judge the S-League just on the recent Young Lion-Beijing Guoan brawl and says the introduction of French team Etoile FC, currently topping the table, has spiced up the competition.

But the inclusion of foreign clubs to the S-League is another thorny issue, and it means Singapore has had to withdraw its teams from the AFC Champions League, the top football club competition in Asia.

The AFC does not allow top leagues across Asia to include foreign teams in their domestic competitions, and it also requires an average attendance of 5,000 people per match, well above the S-League average.

Leong admits that this could have a huge impact on the local scene.

“Teams like Singapore Armed Forces FC have learnt a lot from playing in Asia’s premium tournament,” says Leong. “If they are deprived of that opportunity, it will compromise the growth of the game in Singapore.”
Fans, we need more of them.
Loyalty is another issue

Singapore’s fixation with the BPL was shown clearly in 2009 when Liverpool played the Singapore Lions at the National Stadium.

The stadium was filled with Reds fans, with little support for the Lions, and the biggest cheer of the night was when star Liverpool striker Fernando Torres walked out from the tunnel.

Unsurprisingly, the Lions players weren’t impressed with the support they received in their own stadium from their own fans.
Singapore is full of armchair football fans

Sponsorship expert Kenny Hau, regional business director of the marketing agency ESP, agrees that the rise of the BPL and economic prosperity have combined to hurt the S-League.

“The advent of the pay-TV business model, in conjunction with increased affluence and sophistication of Singaporeans, has contributed to a decline in interest in local football,” says Huang.

“Singaporeans now enjoy numerous lifestyle and entertainment choices that were not available even 15 to 20 years ago and any football fix they may have will be fully met in the air-conditioning of their living rooms or pubs by viewing the global superstars that are BPL players and their globally recognized club brands.”
Stem the outflow of talent

According to Huang, the drift of Singaporean stars to Indonesia’s Super League, such as Lions striker Noh Alam Shah, is another problem and there seems to be no end in sight.

At the moment there are seven Singaporean national team players plying their trade in Indonesia, such as Mustafic Fahrudin, Precious Emuejeraye, Khairul Amri, Shahril Ishak and Baihakki Khaizan.

“Unless the S-league clubs are able to protect their core assets, the quality of the product will be seen to have been reduced and will affect what little spectator and sponsor confidence that exists,” says Huang.
The Sultan of Selangor Cup 2010. We need more competitions like these.
Is this fixable?

How can Singaporean football be fixed? Opinions vary, but the consensus on the one thing the S-League needs is more money. Improved stadiums, better pitches, higher quality players and increased marketing are also a must.

Many long-suffering local football fans pine for the days of the Malaysian Cup, where Singapore played in front of bumper, passionate crowds in local derbies and won many titles. But experts believe the creation of the S-League was the right move and all it needs is more support.

Md Noor Hadi, the owner of Singapore football website Kallang Roar, says the birth of the S-League is the “best thing to ever happen to Singapore football.”

“What FAS should do now is to revamp the S-League and make it the best football league in ASEAN,” says Hadi. “At the same time, FAS should continue to invest and focus on youth development.”

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
as usual when pap dog cannot answer a simple question, they will write long long granny naggy story.

just a simple question : indonesia and malaysia got show epl?

if have why their league can attract more than 219 on average?

charlatan dog making it easier and easier for me to whack. hee hee.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as usual when pap dog cannot answer a simple question, they will write long long granny naggy story.

just a simple question : indonesia and malaysia got show epl?

if have why their league can attract more than 219 on average?

charlatan dog making it easier and easier for me to whack. hee hee.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

U obviously didn't read the post. Here I'll take out the part your should be reading

ESPN STAR Sports football journalist Kelvin Leong says this is a problem not just for Singapore but also for most Southeast Asian nations.

“The only reason leagues like the Indonesian and Malaysian leagues don’t get affected as much as the S-League is simply down to the country’s population,” says Leong.

“The BPL, Spanish La Liga and Italian Serie A have huge followings in this part of the world and their players have god-like status amongst fans.”

“Especially in a country where the population is around four million, the amount of fans willing to forgo Wayne Rooney to catch the S-League players in action is slim.”
Foreign factors are not helping

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
U obviously didn't read the post. Here I'll take out the part your should be reading

dumbo,

everything u put it down to population, then whats there to say anymore?

how come then our population so small, car population so big? golf courses so many?

pls lah, people not interested in s-league becos of the junk soccer. dun anyhow blame population.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dumbo,

everything u put it down to population, then whats there to say anymore?

how come then our population so small, car population so big? golf courses so many?

pls lah, people not interested in s-league becos of the junk soccer. dun anyhow blame population.

I've already pointed out the standard of football of the M-league compared to the S-league if anything S-league is just as good if not better

I base this on results and participation in Asian Tournaments and not random bullshit about past M-League teams. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Number of teams in the AFC Champions League
SG 1
MY 0

SG 1
MY 0

Just in case U are wondering why M-League is missing. That's becoz participation is limited to the top 10 best leagues in Asia. Obviously the experts in AFC decided that S-League > M-League :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

AFC Cup(I will try to find out the scores for the Head to Head Clashes if any)
SG and MY both kicked out during group stages

SG and MY both kicked out during group stages

Home United 5 - 1 Kedah
Kedah 4 - 1 Home United

SAFFC 6 - 1 Perak
Perak 2 - 0 SAFFC
All 4 teams got kicked out during the rd of 8

Tampines 2 - 0 Pahang
Pahang 1 - 4 Tampines

Both MY teams(Pahang and Negri Sembilan) KO in group stage.
Tampines and SAFFC made it to the Rd of 8

Looking at results and progression in the AFC Cup, doesn't look like the M-league teams are superior to the S-league teams :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Since that fact is established, if your crazy logic stands then no one will be watching the M-league and the ISL either

D

Dodomeki

Aiyah mai chap siow lah. Indomie is favorite to win. :biggrin:

Asean_8.jpg

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've already pointed out the standard of football of the M-league compared to the S-league if anything S-league is just as good if not better

Since that fact is established, if your crazy logic stands then no one will be watching the M-league and the ISL either

u stupid logic says that if that country got show epl, then their domestic attendance would be 200. i already show that even countries like indo and malaysia got epl, their domestic attendance still way better than spore.

like a typical pap dog, u twisted your arugment to say becos spore population small.

KNNB, pap dog really cannot make it. lose argument liao talk cock. :biggrin:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u stupid logic says that if that country got show epl, then their domestic attendance would be 200.

Please show me the actual quote where I declared that "if that country got show epl, then their domestic attendance would be 200" :oIo::oIo::oIo:

I am a SG supporter not a PAP supporter and unlike SG Bashers like U I don't hate everything about my own country :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what a dumbo,

this whole post of yours trying to explain how epl affected the attendance of s-league. now u asking me back :confused:

:oIo:fuck you:oIo::oIo::oIo:

attendance 200 is publish on the papers today. fuck you pap dog.:oIo:

btw, still need to do this :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I claimed that M-league attendance was affected by EPL I never claim the M-league attendance is 200 :oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

u stupid logic says that if that country got show epl, then their domestic attendance would be 200.

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
I claimed that M-league attendance was affected by EPL I never claim the M-league attendance is 200 :oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

dumb idiot,

m-league attendance by epl so? still way beyond the 200 s-league can offer ok:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's an obvious and proven solution if national glory is wanted in football. The Uruguay solution, which is the reverse of the Singapore non-solution. Singapore keeps buying players from abroad. Uruguay keeps sending their players abroad. Although admittedly, Uruguay has the advantage of two hugely populated and supported world class leagues as their neighbours, Brazil and Argentina.

The attendance problem, well there's no way around it whether 200 or 2,000. There's only 5 m. pop. in Singapore, almost half of it disinterested foreigners. No club can command any attendance on a scale to generate excitement and morale, except the national team. Instead of wasting time and money on S-League which would lead the national team to nowhere and itself nowhere, providing neither entertainment nor excitement for public, why not invest in grooming sec. sch. teams? They have natural support-base, their schoolmates. The outstanding ones can be incentivised with oversea football academy "scholarships" with a view to securing a big club contract.

This is also the American college football and basketball model of youth development. However of course, US is huge, self-contained and self-sufficient. The recent rise of Philippines in the SEA pecking is also mainly thanks to their players playing abroad.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's an obvious and proven solution if national glory is wanted in football. The Uruguay solution, which is the reverse of the Singapore non-solution. Singapore keeps buying players from abroad. Uruguay keeps sending their players abroad. Although admittedly, Uruguay has the advantage of two hugely populated and supported world class leagues as their neighbours, Brazil and Argentina.

The attendance problem, well there's no way around it whether 200 or 2,000. There's only 5 m. pop. in Singapore, almost half of it disinterested foreigners. No club can command any attendance on a scale to generate excitement and morale, except the national team. Instead of wasting time and money on S-League which would lead the national team to nowhere and itself nowhere, providing neither entertainment nor excitement for public, why not invest in grooming sec. sch. teams? They have natural support-base, their schoolmates. The outstanding ones can be incentivised with oversea football academy "scholarships" with a view to securing a big club contract.

This is also the American college football and basketball model of youth development. However of course, US is huge, self-contained and self-sufficient. The recent rise of Philippines in the SEA pecking is also mainly thanks to their players playing abroad.

Getting rid of the domestic league is not a solution. Where will all the players who your proposed youth teams go to after "graduation"? Not all of them will be able to get a move overseas. And there are many example of good players who play in their own domestic leagues or smaller leagues before moving onto the bigger clubs. Even in the example of Uruguay, a lot of the national team members had once played for or are still playing in their own domestic league. Not all of them are foreign based.

The other major problem is that we are surrounded by, well lets just say, countries of similar standards. We experienced a mass exodus of players to the ISL this year. Which also happened to be a league which AFC ranked even lower then the S-league. Not exactly working out.

Ultimately, the S-league cannot be rid of. Even during the M-league days we had our own domestic league and a number of the players in the National Team playing in the M-league actually came from those same clubs which later formed the basis of the S-league

I think the solution is to revamp the league, get rid of the foreign teams. Force freaking Singapore Pools to pump more money into it. Tie up with some foreign teams, e.g. teams in the K-league or J-league or even the Chinese teams and have players training with them for short spells. Who knows they may even get to play for those clubs one day, failing which, they will get a good experience of training at a higher level. The youth team side of things is already being taken care of by the sports school. I don't think we will know how effective that is until probably 4-5yrs down the road

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
Getting rid of the domestic league is not a solution.
Ultimately, the S-league cannot be rid of. Even during the M-league days we had our own domestic league and a number of the players in the National Team playing in the M-league actually came from those same clubs which later formed the basis of the S-league

i 100% agree on this. we need to think of the 200+ fans that brave the lonely and cold nights to watch sub-std and boring s-league matches. without s-league, where would the 200+ go and spend their evenings? call chicken at gayland or chop ppl with parang?:eek:

its nice to be able to agree once in a while. :biggrin:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: