• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lukaku ready for Everton return

14 April 2015

827494header.jpg

Roberto Martinez expects striker Romelu Lukaku to make his Everton return against Burnley this weekend after a hamstring injury.

The Belgium international is Everton's top scorer in the Premier League with eight goals, but has missed their last two games after limping off against QPR on March 22.

Lukaku had made good progress last week but was not risked by Martinez in the 1-1 draw with Swansea City on Saturday, however he should feature at Goodison Park this weekend.

"Rom is training with the group and I would expect him to be fully fit for Saturday," he told the club's official website.

"Last Saturday he wanted to be involved but it was a real risk in terms of where the injury was.

"But he's been working really well with the medical department and probably now we've got the green light to allow him to join the group.

"If he trains and doesn't get any reaction over the next few days then clearly he will be fully fit and available for the next six games, which is exactly what we want."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Jong set to feature in Newcastle run-in

14 April 2015

827435header.jpg

Newcastle United supporters have had little to cheer in recent weeks, but the news that Siem de Jong could return before the end of the season will be a welcome relief to the St James' Park faithful.

John Carver's side slipped to a fifth consecutive Premier League defeat in Monday's 2-0 loss at Liverpool, as Newcastle's season continues to peter out.

However, De Jong may play a part in Newcastle's run-in to provide a much needed spark after spending much of his debut campaign on the sidelines due to a thigh injury and then a collapsed lung suffered in February.

The Netherlands international is now set to play in an Under-21s game alongside winger Rolando Aarons, who has missed the past five months with hamstring and thigh problems.

Carver, though, stated that neither is likely to play a part against Tottenham on Sunday.

"We've got a reserve game tomorrow night, and Siem de Jong will definitely play in that," Carver said.

"I'm going to check on Rolando and see how he's feeling.

"If he's up for it, we'll give him some part of the game, but if not we'll leave him alone for now.

"I can't see, to be quite honest, either of them being available for Sunday."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coutinho one of world´s best, says Rodgers

14 April 2015

827456header.jpg

Brendan Rodgers hailed Philippe Coutinho as one of the best players in the world after his starring role in Liverpool's 2-0 win over Newcastle United in the Premier League.

Coutinho shone in a comfortable win for Rodgers' side having been deployed as a 'false nine' in Liverpool's three-pronged attack, linking play superbly with deft flicks and touches.

Goals from Raheem Sterling and Joe Allen ensured Liverpool moved within four points of Manchester City in the final UEFA Champions League spot, but it was Coutinho who earned high praise from his manager.

"I thought he was incredible," said the Liverpool boss. "I thought he showed that he's really up there with the very, very best in the most competitive league in the world, which is the Barclays Premier League.

"I played him in that role just in front of the centre-halves, thinking that we could exploit the space in between their midfield and the centre-halves and create space for players to make runs in behind. I thought he was sensational.

"He was a kid that always had the ability, but he's become stronger, become more tactically aware and I think you see him now really orchestrating the game for us.

"It was an outstanding performance, he looked very fit and strong, and he’s had a wonderful season."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Valencia in contention for City trip

15 April 2015

828295header.jpg

West Ham have been handed a boost ahead of this weekend's clash with Manchester City after Enner Valencia returned to training.

The Ecuador international was taken off 12 minutes from the end of last Saturday's 1-1 draw with Stoke City after picking up a foot injury.

Valencia had only just returned following a lengthy lay-off but fears have been eased after he completed an individual training session on Wednesday.

Head of medical and sports science, Stijn Vandenbroucke, told West Ham's official website: "We are firstly pleased to confirm that Enner Valencia completed an individual training session on Wednesday morning, after suffering a foot injury in Saturday's draw with Stoke City.

"Enner has a good chance of being available for selection for the trip to Manchester City on Sunday.

"Diafra Sakho, Andy Carroll, James Tomkins and Doneil Henry are all continuing with their rehabilitation as planned and are progressing as we would expect at this stage."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA creates panel to seek advice on head injuries

15 April 2015

828239header.jpg

Experts have been enlisted by the Football Association (FA) to help the governing body decide how to deal with head injuries and concussion.

The FA has asked leading professionals in the field to form an independent panel, which will "review guidelines...to ensure football remains as safe as possible for those participating in it."

The panel, led by neurosurgeon Peter Hamlyn, will meet for the first time next month, with the issue having come into sharp focus following the case of former West Brom and England forward Jeff Astle.

"We have seen an improvement in guidance and communication in this area of sports medicine, but we are conscious there is potentially much more to do across what is the nation's largest and most popular team sport," said Dave Reddin, head of performance services at the FA.

"The group will also be asked to help advise on how football's world governing body should examine and research any long-term effects on the brain through head injury or repeated concussion episodes.

"We have taken a few more weeks to institute the group than anticipated, due to a new structure forming at St. George's Park, and the willingness and desire to ensure the work is thoughtful and thorough.

"I genuinely believe we now have the right people on-board to be able to provide the right level of insight for such an important issue."

Discussion of head injuries in football has become more prevalent recently, with West Brom fans mounting a lengthy campaign to raise awareness after the death of former striker Astle.

Astle passed away in 2002, with the coroner's report finding the cause to be multiple minor traumas to the brain brought about by repeated heading of a football.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Labadie banned for six months for biting

15 April 2015

828296header.jpg

Dagenham and Redbridge midfielder Joss Labadie has been banned for six months by the Football Association (FA) after being found guilty of biting for a second time.

The 24-year-old was charged by the FA after claims that he bit Stevenage defender Ronnie Henry in a League Two encounter last month.

Labadie was banned for 10 games after an independent regulatory commission found him guilty of violent conduct, with two Chesterfield players - Armand Gnanduillet and Ollie Banks - claiming he had bitten them while playing for Torquay United last season.

Dagenham and Redbridge revealed on Wednesday that Labadie has been found guilty of biting again and is now facing another lengthy absence from the game.

A statement on the club's official website said: "Dagenham & Redbridge midfielder Joss Labadie appeared before a Football Association disciplinary hearing this afternoon.

"Joss pleaded not guilty to the charge of violent conduct.

"Unfortunately, the case was found against him and the subsequent punishment issued by the FA is that he is banned from playing football games for six months commencing today.

"Both the player and the Club are awaiting the written report from the FA hearing before deciding their next steps."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shaw: If I was writing a school report, I´d give myself a C-

14 April 2015

827675header.jpg

England defender Luke Shaw would grade himself a C- for his first season at Manchester United and says he is "one of the luckiest 19-year-olds to be alive".

Shaw's debut campaign at Old Trafford has been interrupted by persistent injury problems, making 13 Premier League appearances since joining from Southampton for a reported £28million.

"It's been a frustrating one because of the injuries I've picked up but I’m loving it [at United]," he told Match of the Day magazine.

"If I was to write a school report on my first season here I'd give myself a C-.

"You don't realise just how big Man United is until you're actually here – it’s frightening. It is the biggest club around.

"I’m playing with the likes of Wayne Rooney, [Angel] Di Maria, [Radamel] Falcao and it's weird because my friends always talk about them, saying how good they are and I'm just thinking "Wow, I play with them".

"I'm probably one of the luckiest 19-year-olds to be alive."

United visit leaders Chelsea on Saturday, but Shaw is a doubt with a hamstring problem.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Blind calls for focus

15 April 2015

827906header.jpg

Manchester United utility Daley Blind warned his team-mates not to look too far ahead, with the third and final automatic UEFA Champions League qualifying spot still up for grabs.

United have already emerged as a favourite to win the Premier League title next season, while they are an outside chance of overhauling Chelsea this term, after crushing rivals Manchester City 4-2 in the Manchester derby on Sunday.

A six-match winning streak has rocketed Louis van Gaal's United up to third in the standings with six fixtures remaining, four points above City and eight points adrift of leaders Chelsea heading into Saturday's trip to Stamford Bridge.

However, Blind is solely focused on helping United secure Champions League football after a season out of Europe's premier competition.

"I think Manchester United is always a club that is fighting for the title," said the Netherlands international.

"We have to watch ourselves this season, our own games, focus on that and then we will see where it ends. But we don't have to watch Chelsea. We have to watch for our own games.

"We have to look at ourselves because every game is a final and we have to believe in ourselves. We have improved a lot and are still improving and we really are one team."

Blind also revealed a pre-match team talk from United captain Wayne Rooney inspired the 13-time Premier League champions to their first win over City since 2012.

"It was a thing what was always in our minds. It was going through the team. Everyone knew how important this game was, not only because it's a rat race in the last games, but also because of the history of the last four game," Blind said.

"Wayne Rooney mentioned that in the dressing room before the game to all the players and it is something that you have in mind when you go on to the pitch. You saw how everyone was fighting for each other.

"Maybe after the first five minutes we were a bit like, 'What is happening here?' but after that we picked it up again and we did very well. And with the crowd behind us, it was amazing."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal a ´joy to watch´, says injured Wilshere

15 April 2015

828018header.jpg

Jack Wilshere says Arsenal's recent performances have been a "joy to watch" as he sits on the sidelines recovering from injury.

The England international has been absent since November with an ankle injury meaning he has missed a run of eight consecutive Premier League victories.

Arsene Wenger's men have subsequently closed the gap on Premier League leaders Chelsea, who have a game in hand, to seven points with the rivals set to meet at the Emirates Stadium on April 26.

Wilshere, who has been stepping up his rehabilitation in recent weeks and played in an Under-21s game on Tuesday, has enjoyed what he has witnessed.

"Not just over the last season, I think it's over the last few years [that we have made progress]," he told Arsenal's official website.

"We lost a lot of players from when I started in the first team, a lot of people said Arsenal would never come back but we didn't listen to them.

"We kept going, added real quality, world-class players to the squad and the main thing here is the team ethic.

"You can see that we have a great atmosphere around, everyone wants to work for one another and we go into every game knowing we can create chances if we stay strong defensively.

"I remember when I got my first injury and it was the year when Cesc [Fabregas] left. We struggled that year at the start and it was tough to watch.

"It has been totally different this year - they have been playing great football and it has been a joy to watch."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Room for Schneiderlin and Coquelin at Arsenal, says McLintock

15 April 2015

828052header.jpg

Morgan Schneiderlin would be a "terrific addition" to Arsenal's squad, but only if it does not hinder the rapid progress of Francis Coquelin, says club great Frank McLintock.

Arsenal have enjoyed a fine recent run, winning eight straight Premier League matches to close the gap on leaders Chelsea to seven points.

Part of the reason for their form has been Arsene Wenger's decision to draft Coquelin in from the wilderness, with the Frenchman putting in a series of impressive performances in the heart of Arsenal's midfield.

Despite Coquelin excelling in the defensive midfield role, Southampton's Schneiderlin has once again been linked a move to the Emirates Stadium in the close-season, after the Frenchman was a rumoured target before the start of the campaign.

McLintock - who made 403 appearances for Arsenal between 1964 and 1973 - believes there could be a spot for both men at Arsenal.

"[Coquelin has been] very good," he told Perform. "They've been linked with Schneiderlin at Southampton and that would be a terrific addition.

"He's got height, something Arsenal have been lacking because they've been a small team for a long time.

"So someone of that calibre would be a good thing.

"But it would be a shame if he were to replace Coquelin, he's come on a bundle in the last month or so. That's because he has the opportunity to play regularly and he's taken on the task very well."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool´s Teixeira breaks leg on loan at Brighton

15 April 2015

828079header.jpg

Liverpool midfielder Joao Teixeira has been ruled out for the rest of the season after breaking his leg on loan at Brighton and Hove Albion.

The 22-year-old has been a regular in the Brighton first team since arriving from Anfield at the beginning of the season, but was stretchered off late on in a goalless Championship draw with Huddersfield Town on Tuesday.

A subsequent X-ray taken at a local hospital showed a break just above the ankle.

"Our thoughts are with Joao - as this is a real blow to him after such a good season for the club - and we all wish him a speedy recovery and return to action," said Brighton manager Chris Hughton.

"He's been an important player for the club this season, both before and after I came to the club [in December], and I would like to thank him for his efforts during his time on loan here, and also Liverpool for allowing him to come."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ward signs new Palace deal

15 April 2015

828091header.jpg

Joel Ward has agreed a new three-and-a-half-year deal to remain at Crystal Palace until the end of the 2017-18 season.

Ward has been ever-present during his side's Premier League campaign, with Alan Pardew's men sitting 11th in the top flight.

"I'm really pleased," said Ward. "It's been something that has been talked about a little bit and I'm glad to now put that to the back and just concentrate with my football and I'm delighted to have signed the deal.

"The relationship with the gaffer and the club helped. I'm excited for what the next few years have in store.

"I love the passion of the club, the fans have been exceptional since I've come here and they've welcomed me with open arms.

"It's been a joy to play in front of them - especially at home - week in, week out. Even the travelling support's been incredible."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerrard could face United, Chelsea in pre-season tournament

15 April 2015

828221header.jpg

Steven Gerrard may not have to wait long to face old rivals Manchester United and Chelsea again as his future employers LA Galaxy could play against the Premier League giants in the International Champions Cup.

The pre-season tournament, which takes place across North America, is set to return for a third edition between July 11 and August 5 this year.

And, in an intriguing sub-plot, Gerrard - who will end his 26-year association with Liverpool to join the Galaxy in July - could go up against either United or Chelsea, or even both.

Fixtures for the tournament, which was won by United in 2014, have yet to confirmed, so it remains to be seen for sure if Gerrard will take on his old foes.

Gerrard faced United for the final time in his Liverpool career last month, but lasted just 38 seconds as a second-half substitute before being sent off for a stamp on Ander Herrera.

La Liga leaders Barcelona will also provide a star attraction at the Champions Cup, with Lionel Messi and co signed up to take part.

Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain, Porto and FIorentina are involved, as are MLS duo New York Red Bulls and San Jose Earthquakes, plus America of Liga MX.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle boss Carver sure of fan support

15 April 2015

828204header.jpg

Newcastle United head coach John Carver has no doubt that the fans in attendance at Sunday's encounter against Tottenham will fully back the team amid reports of a planned protest.

A section of Newcastle supporters are said to be planning a demonstration against the team's lack of movement in the transfer market, despite the club registering record profits during the last financial year.

The feeling of discontent around St James' Park has been exacerbated by a poor run of form that has seen Newcastle lose five straight matches - including a 1-0 defeat to fierce rivals Sunderland.

Carver will have no complaints if supporters do air their frustrations at St James' this weekend, but is confident any disruption will be minimal.

"They are entitled to do what they want to do," Carver said.

"At the start of the season they pay for the season ticket, and they are entitled to go to the game if they want to go and if they don't want to go that's their prerogative too.

"The fans have always been attached to this football club and the vast majority will be there on Sunday supporting the team, even those who don't have season tickets will go and watch it in the pubs and be behind the team.

"But I know everyone who comes through that turnstile at the weekend will be right behind the team because they want the team to win."

Carver's position as Newcastle boss is only assured until the end of the campaign, and with the club on a poor run it remains to be seen if he will continue next term.

But he insists he has given no thought to his future, adding: "To be honest, and I'd have said this even if we'd been on a winning run, I'm not looking that far ahead.

"I'm just looking at this weekend. This weekend is important and it's not about me. This is about the team, the club and getting the right results."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lehmann issues Ozil challenge

15 April 2015

828095header.jpg

Jens Lehmann wants Mesut Ozil to raise his game and inspire Arsenal to domestic and European success.

Ozil has impressed during the London club's run of eight consecutive victories, demonstrating why Arsene Wenger's spent big to lure the Germany midfielder from Real Madrid.

The 26-year-old has not been consistent during his time at the Emirates Stadium, though, and his performances for Wenger's side have divided opinion.

Former Arsenal goalkeeper Lehmann knows Ozil has the ability to be a match-winner and has challenged the playmaker to rise to the occasion when it matters most and show his class on a regular basis.

Lehmann told Perform: "Arsenal bought him to win championships nationally and internationally. That should be his goal.

"He can't do that on his own but he should be the one making the difference in big games. He's got the potential but has to show it."

Arsenal face Championship side Reading in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on Saturday and are favourites to win the competition for the second successive season.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hughes: Moses likely out for the season

victor-moses_gv842tjs0uoc1thqs4q7aim0q.jpg

By Peter Thompson
Apr 15, 2015 21:32:00

The Chelsea loanee suffered a hamstring injury during Saturday's draw with West Ham and may have played his last game for the Britannia Stadium outfit

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has revealed that on-loan winger Victor Moses is expected to be out for the rest of the season.

Moses, on loan from Chelsea, suffered a hamstring injury during Stoke's 1-1 Premier League draw at West Ham last weekend.

Hughes told the club's official website: "It may well be that Victor's season is over unfortunately because of the type of injury he has got. He might get back but at the moment we're probably thinking that he won't make it.

"It's a shame because Victor has done really well since he's been with us.

"He was our shining light in the early part of the season and then unfortunately he got a couple of quite serious injuries that held him back and in the end he hasn't been able to finish the season with us.

"He'll look back on his time with us and think he's made an impression and done well and we'd agree with that because he's been a really important figure for us this season."

While Moses may have featured for the final time this term, fellow Stoke forward Peter Odemwingie is hopeful of featuring again before the end of the campaign.

Odemwingie suffered a serious knee ligament injury in August's 1-0 victory at Manchester City but will resume full training on Thursday.

"I played a few small-sided games last week and I'll be back in the fold and hopefully I'll be ready as soon as possible," the 33-year-old told Stoke's official website.

"It has been tough but the medical staff have been brilliant and helped me enormously."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Benteke: Villa are fearless under Sherwood

christian-benteke-aston-villa_e6nfjuct8p5z1odeyv5c2luic.jpg

By Harry West
Apr 15, 2015 21:11:00

The Belgium international believes his own form is down to the belief the former Tottenham boss has given him and feels a place in the FA Cup final is reachable

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke says the team have become fearless under Tim Sherwood.

Former Tottenham boss Sherwood arrived at Villa Park in February, and has since led the club away from danger in the Premier League, as well as guiding them to the last four of the FA Cup.

Villa are now six points clear of the relegation zone, and are eagerly anticipating Sunday's semi final against Liverpool at Wembley.

"The first day he came he said we have to play without fear," Benteke told the FA's official website.

"You can see when he speaks he has a lot of charisma and confidence and it helps because we are a young squad.

"It's not only me, but it's all the squad. When he arrived he gave us a lot of confidence and feeling. He has given us a lot of freedom."

Benteke has been in good form in recent weeks, netting eight goals in his last six league outings.

"We strikers live by goals. A striker who doesn't score can't properly help the team because he has to score goals," he added.

"When you play in England you have pressure every week. You have to deal with it and for me it's okay.

"Before the gaffer came, I was sometimes playing good but didn't really get many chances, and I'd go back home frustrated. It was mixed feelings, I'd be frustrated because I didn't score and because I didn't have chances - now I have chances.

"Everyone is motivated to go to Wembley and try and do something good and get to the final.

"At the moment the confidence in the team is high. We can't just be happy to play in a semi-final - you want to go to the final. So we will fight like we have done the last few weeks."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wellington Silva free to play for Arsenal four years after arrival

wellington-silva-isco-almeria-real-madrid_10vk7jn9pkhf61cn27th0nksoa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Apr 15, 2015 18:47:00

The Brazilian winger has been on the Gunners' books since 2011 but has been unable to feature due to work permit issues

Wellington Silva is finally free to play for a competitive game for Arsenal four years after joining the club.

The 22-year-old moved to the club from Fluminese in 2011 but has been unable to play for the Gunners after failing to obtain a work permit.

As a result, he has been loaned out to Levante, Alcoyano, Ponferradina, Murcia and, most recently Almeria, whilst awaiting a Spanish passport.

However, the winger – who has made 27 appearances in all competitions for Almeria this season – confirmed on Thursday that he has been finally been granted Spanish nationality.

“The good thing is slow in coming, but arrives with the greatest satisfaction in the world. Spanish nationality!!” he posted on Twitter.

Silva will hope to link up with the Gunners for the club's pre-season campaign and could finally make his debut in English football next term.

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham to take on MLS All-Stars

mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-2-2-west-ham_umdwhv8y9w2y1v8z2v83zuz3t.jpg

By Jack Davies
Apr 15, 2015 17:34:00

Recent opponents for the representative outfit include Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Chelsea, and Mauricio Pochettino's men will challenge them on July 29

Tottenham will play a pre-season friendly against the MLS All-Stars this summer, it has been confirmed.

The fixture, which traditionally sees a selection of the north American competition's biggest stars take on a European club side, will be played on July 29 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, home of the Colorado Rapids.

Previous opponents have included the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Bayern Munich, and Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is eagerly anticipating the pre-season fixture.

"We'd like to thank Major League Soccer for the invitation to take part in the 2015 All-Star Game," he said.

"The fact that this will be our only fixture outside of Europe during pre-season says a lot about how we view this game.

"We enjoyed three tough matches last summer in North America and the quality of football in MLS continues to grow every year.

"Pre-season is an important time for us and we are looking forward to being a part of one of the biggest events on the US football calendar.

"We know the quality of the facilities will be top class and we see this fixture against the best players from MLS as good preparation."

Last year's fixture saw the All-Stars side defeat German champions Bayern 2-1, with Bradley Wright-Phillips and Landon Donovan cancelling out Robert Lewandowski's opener.

Former Tottenham star Clint Dempsey - now of the Seattle Sounders - and recent acquisition DeAndre Yedlin both featured in the fixture.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lambert: Klopp may snub Premier League

16 April 2015

828642header.jpg

Paul Lambert believes Jurgen Klopp may never work in England, but thinks the outgoing Borussia Dortmund head coach would be a success in the Premier League.

Klopp announced on Wednesday that he will leave Dortmund at the end of the season after seven years in charge of the Bundesliga club.

The charismatic German has been linked with a move to Manchester City, and Arsenal has been mentioned as a possible destination for him in the past.

Former Dortmund midfielder Lambert expects his good friend Klopp to be in demand, but would not raise eyebrows if he opts against plying his trade in England.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "I wouldn't expect it. It wouldn't surprise me if he never came.

"He's going to be in demand from a lot of countries and he will be a big name for a lot of teams."

Ex-Aston Villa manager Lambert, however, thinks Klopp would be suited to the Premier League if he does decide to go down that route.

He added: "If you ask me 'would he come to England?' I think he would because obviously he knows the language, he's a clever guy.

"I think he will be great for the Premier League, because of the way he is.

"He's got the mentality of a British coach - I also think he's very clever. I don't think he'd have any problem adapting to British football."