• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gomis out for four weeks

16 April 2015

828651header.jpg

Swansea City striker Bafetimbi Gomis has been ruled out for around four weeks with a hamstring injury sustained during last weekend's 1-1 draw with Everton.

The French forward picked up the problem as he turned to shoot in the 15th minute of the Premier League clash at the Liberty Stadium.

Without a recognised striker on the bench, manager Garry Monk turned to Marvin Emnes to fill the void on the day.

Gomis' absence leaves Nelson Oliveira, on loan from Benfica, as the only out-and-out frontman in the Swansea squad.

The Portugal international has made little impact since arriving in January, though, failing to find the net in eight appearances and making just one start.

Swansea visit bottom club Leicester City in the Premier League on Saturday.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martinez coy on Cleverley link

16 April 2015

828669header.jpg

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has refused to rule out a move for Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley.

Cleverley, who previously played under Martinez on loan at Wigan Athletic, is currently embroiled in a fight for Premier League survival as he nears the end of a temporary spell at Aston Villa.

Arsenal and Tottenham have both been linked with the 25-year-old, whose Old Trafford contract expires at the end of the season, but Martinez could be tempted to make his move when the clamour for the player begins.

"We know the situation with Tom," he said. "He's a player that I know well and have worked with him.

"At the moment he's fighting for something very important and is trying to achieve the aim for his club.

"Obviously that deserves respect. I wouldn't expect anybody to speak about my players and I would never do that [to anyone else]."

Martinez rubbished reports linking him with a move for Barcelona's Sergi Roberto, while no decision has yet been made regarding the futures of defenders Sylvain Distin and Antolin Alcaraz - both out of contract at the end of the season.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oscar not seeking Chelsea exit

16 April 2015

828793header.jpg

Oscar has no intention of leaving Chelsea amid reports that Jose Mourinho is prepared to offload him at the end of the season.

Mourinho has substituted Oscar in 18 of the 24 Premier League matches he has started in the current campaign and is said to be unimpressed with the midfielder's work-rate.

Juventus and Liverpool have been linked with a move for the Brazil international, but the 23-year-old is eager to remain at Stamford Bridge.

He told Perform: "I'm very happy here. I get along with everyone here and the club shows its praise to me.

"Chelsea is one of the best clubs in the world so I can't see why I would think of leaving the club."

Former Internacional man Oscar is pleased with the impact he has made for the Premier League leaders this season, but stressed that there is still room for improvement.

He added: "I'm very happy with Chelsea's season so far. I'm happy with my own performances as well but reckon that I could have contributed more to the team.

"There are different tactics depending on the opponent we face and we respect the manager choices. Sometime I ended up not playing the entire match but I'm doing my best to fulfil my role.

"So yes, I'm happy with my performances."

Chelsea are seven points clear at the top of the table ahead of Saturday's clash with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oscar: Hazard the best in the Premier League

16 April 2015

828703header.jpg

Chelsea midfielder Oscar believes clubmate Eden Hazard deserves to be seen as "the best player in England".

Hazard is tipped by many to sweep this season's player of the year awards, as Chelsea close in on a first Premier League title since 2010.

And Oscar says such accolades would be entirely justified for a player who has chipped in with 12 goals and eight assists in the league this term.

"In my opinion he is the best player of Premier League at this moment," the Brazilian told Perform. "It's very hard pointing out who's the best here or there, especially here with so many good players.

"But Hazard has been so consistent and he deserves to be considered as the best player in England.

"Obviously we have other good players like Willian, he is only 25, or Diego Costa.

"We still have room for improvement, [but] if we keep this winning mentality I can't see why not other stars can't rise here."

Chelsea sit seven points clear of Arsenal at the top of the Premier League and host third-placed Manchester United on Saturday.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Koeman: Clyne right to have Champions League ambition

16 April 2015

828792header.jpg

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman feels Nathaniel Clyne's desire to play in the UEFA Champions League is only natural and claims he has no problem with the defender speaking publicly about his ambition.

Koeman recently cast doubt on Clyne's future by stating that Southampton face a battle to keep the England international amid reported interest from Chelsea and Manchester United.

Clyne subsequently conducted an interview with Sky Sports earlier this week where he spoke of his interest of playing in Europe's premier competition.

However, Koeman says that it should be the goal for any professional footballer to play on the biggest stage.

"It's up to the press how they take that kind of comments. I would like to play in the Champions League as well, it's the aspiration for every player, it's a normal aspiration," he said.

"If you don't mention that there's something wrong. We're discussing with his agent to keep Clyney at the club. We know it's difficult because I read in the press that there's interest."

Southampton are not out of the race for the Champions League themselves and sit sixth, just five points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester City.

Asked if qualifying for the tournament would convince Clyne to stay, Koeman added: "Maybe that can be an influence in his final decision.

"I think always players need to have aspirations. We hope one day we'll compare to the big ones."

Champions City have lost three of their past four league matches, but Koeman believes Manuel Pellegrini's men remain favourites for fourth.

"The door is always a little bit open. It's difficult because even if Man City have been struggling in recent weeks with results they have now two home games and they have enough quality to be in the top four," the Dutchman said.

"If we win all of [our games] it's a big chance to finish fourth in the league, but to win all the last six games is difficult."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oscar wary of United and insists title race is not over

16 April 2015

828887header.jpg

As Chelsea prepare to host Manchester United this weekend, midfielder Oscar is wary that Louis van Gaal's in-form visitors could derail his team's charge to Premier League title.

Jose Mourinho's men are seemingly destined to lift their first title in five years next month, enjoying a seven-point lead over Arsenal having played a game fewer than their London rivals.

But third-placed United visit Stamford Bridge on Saturday on the back of six successive league victories, and Oscar is well aware of the threat posed by Van Gaal's men.

"They were struggling in the beginning but they've shown a lot of improvements," the Brazilian told Perform.

"They are playing very well at the moment. One can see that Man United found their ideal starting XI and we will face a tough opponent this coming weekend."

Although Chelsea look well placed to seal a third league crown under Mourinho, Oscar insists the race is not over yet.

"I wouldn't go that far. It seems easy but it's definitely not," he added. "We will face Man United and then Arsenal. Those will be like two finals for us.

"After that we will have a clear idea on how close we are from the title. We will certainly fight until the end of the season. But we hope we can be the champions as soon as possible."

The form of Marouane Fellaini and ex-Chelsea man Juan Mata have been two bright sparks in United's recent run, but Oscar says their rivals have dangerous players all over the pitch.

"It's not only Fellaini but Mata as well. [Ander] Herrera, [Daley] Blind, [Wayne] Rooney, Ashley Young, so many players," said the 23-year-old.

"They certainly improved their performances at this point of the season and we must be careful with all of them. But they must be careful with us as well so big derbies like this one are always great matches."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monk flattered by West Ham link

16 April 2015

828790header.jpg

Swansea City manager Garry Monk says he takes reports linking him with the West Ham job as a compliment.

According to one British newspaper, Monk is being eyed by the Upton Park outfit as a potential successor to Sam Allardyce, following a promising first full season at the helm in Wales.

Swansea stand on the verge of surpassing their record Premier League points total of 47, having equalled the mark with a 1-1 draw at home to Everton last weekend.

"I look at situations, I read the article," said Monk. "Firstly, West Ham have a fantastic manager in place.

"They've already got a manager who's had a fantastic season and progressed again.

"But it's speculation which you can see as a compliment to myself and the team, which shows how we're progressing.

"It's nothing to do with me what they do, it's about us finishing the season strongly and that's where our focus is."

Swansea visit resurgent Leicester City on Saturday.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wijnaldum would welcome Van Gaal reunion

16 April 2015

828809header.jpg

Georginio Wijnaldum is not ruling out the possibility of joining up with his former Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal at Manchester United.

Van Gaal took Wijnaldum to last year's World Cup in Brazil, where Netherlands finished third.

The midfielder has been in impressive form for PSV this season, scoring 12 goals in 29 league appearances as Phillip Cocu's men stride towards the Eredivisie title.

"I am happy at PSV but I am a player with a lot of ambition," Wijnaldum told Sky Sports. "I want to play in a stronger league than the Eredivisie.

"With my quality I feel I can bring a lot to a team that I will join. I want to show it in the big leagues; England, Italy, Spain, Germany and France.

"Of course I would like to work with him [Van Gaal] again. He is a good trainer, and makes players better. I work really fine with him and he is a great man.

"He gave me a chance and opportunity to play in a World Cup after seven months out injured, and I am thankful for that. He helped me get my confidence back."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodriguez could play in Southampton´s final game

16 April 2015

828848header.jpg

Jay Rodriguez may return from a nightmare injury lay-off to feature in Southampton's last Premier League game of the season at Manchester City next month.

The England international is in line to play a part at the Etihad Stadium, where he suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament to his knee in Southampton's 4-1 defeat last April.

Rodriguez has not featured since, but is set to take part in training sessions with the rest of the squad next week as he steps up his recovery.

However, manager Ronald Koeman says there is no rush to bring the former Burnley man back into contention and is willing to wait until next season.

"I hope that he can be part in one of the games, maybe the last one," Koeman said. "It will be a tough one because it will be versus Manchester City and he got his injury against them.

"But the focus has to be on next season. If he is part of one or two games this season it will be great for him, great for his team-mates and great for the club.

"He's putting everything in to coming back, but we're not in a hurry, he has to be 100 per cent that's most important."

Despite being sidelined for a year, there have been rumours that Rodriguez could depart the St Mary's Stadium, with City tipped as a potential destination.

But Koeman expects him to stay, adding: "I expect we don't sell the player because the player didn't play in my first season as the manager.

"He's a good guy, a positive one, maybe he will be the best transfer for us next season."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ideye a concern for Palace clash

16 April 2015

828865header.jpg

West Brom have an injury concern over Brown Ideye ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash at head coach Tony Pulis' former club Crystal Palace.

The Nigeria striker suffered a knock in training, which may prevent him from taking his place in the starting line-up at Selhurst Park.

Pulis said: “Browny has got a little bit of a knock so we're not sure if he will be fit to start or not. We're hoping that he will be okay."

Ex-Palace boss Pulis was able to deliver better news of winger Callum McManaman, who played just over an hour of a Birmingham Senior Cup game against Nuneaton in midweek after recovering from a heel problem.

"Callum has come through a reserve game and has trained really well these last 10 games, so he gives us an option which will be great for us.” said the Welshman.

Albion will be out to avoid a fourth consecutive defeat at the expense of a Palace side full of confidence after winning four in a row.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke City v Southampton: Koeman focused on points not records

16 April 2015

828862header.jpg

Ronald Koeman will not allow Southampton to rest on their laurels against Stoke City as they continue to chase a European place.

Having equalled the club's record Premier League points tally of 56 from last season in the 2-0 victory over Hull City last weekend, Southampton now face a tough trip to the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.

Koeman, though, is not concerned about potentially setting a new milestone, instead calling for focus against an ever-improving Stoke as Southampton try to beat Liverpool and Tottenham for a top-five finish.

"It is a difficult game that we have experienced twice this season," he said. "We won both games [one in the League Cup fourth round] but they were difficult.

"We know their qualities. I think if you watch this season they brought in some good technical players, and they have good football players.

"If you only mention direct play it's not respectful because they like to play good football. They are a strong team, maybe the strongest in the league in terms of physicality, they like to press.

"If we're not on our game, we're in for a difficult afternoon. Luckily, the weather will be good this weekend, it will be less windy than usual."

Both sides go into the game with a point to prove as Southampton strive to end a three-game winless away run and Stoke are without a victory in their last four outings, a last-gasp 1-1 draw at West Ham last weekend preventing a fourth successive defeat.

Injuries have hampered Stoke this season, with Victor Moses the most recent player to have been sidelined.

The on-loan Chelsea forward is likely to miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury sustained at Upton Park, but manager Mark Hughes is determined for his side to continue to progress despite another setback.

"From our point of view I think it's a good opportunity to show where we are," he told the club's official website. "They have had a good season and quite rightly so they've received a lot of plaudits.

"We've probably been somewhat under the radar in comparison but I think it's an opportunity for us to show how far we've come as well."

Moses joins Bojan Krkic and Peter Odemwingie out of action, placing further pressure on Stoke's remaining fit forwards – Peter Crouch, Jonathan Walters and Mame Biram Diouf.

Southampton have no new injury worries, with Florin Gardos back in contention, but Victor Wanyama is out as he begins a two-match suspension for amassing his 10th yellow card.

The corresponding fixture between Stoke and Southampton from last season was notable for goalkeeper Asmir Begovic netting after 13 seconds in a 1-1 draw.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea v Manchester United: Leaders attempt to go 10 points clear

16 April 2015

828861header.jpg

Jose Mourinho will again put his friendship with Louis van Gaal to one side on Saturday when Chelsea attempt to take another giant stride towards lifting the Premier League title.

Van Gaal takes his in-form Manchester United side to Stamford Bridge aiming to secure their first victory over the London club in eight matches.

Chelsea manager Mourinho worked under United boss Van Gaal at Barcelona and the duo remain good friends, as they demonstrated with embraces during and after a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in October.

That will go out of the window when they pit their wits against each other this weekend, with Chelsea knowing a victory will see them move 10 points clear at the top of the table with six games remaining.

Cesc Fabregas scored the only goal of the game two minutes from time last Sunday to ensure Chelsea edged the West London derby against QPR to remain on course for their first Premier League title for five years.

Mourinho's side are unbeaten in 13 games in all competitions and look set to win two trophies in the Portuguese's second season since returning to the club from Real Madrid, having already lifted the League Cup.

With second-placed Arsenal not in Premier League action this weekend due to their FA Cup semi-final against Reading, Chelsea can take an even stronger grip on top spot by seeing off United.

Van Gaal's side also head into the game in ominous form, though, having secured a derby victory last Sunday to extend their winning run to six top-flight games. They can go second with a win against the leaders.

United are on course to return to the UEFA Champions League next season after beating neighbours Manchester City 4-2 at Old Trafford to move four points ahead of their neighbours.

Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres were sent off when United last won at Stamford Bridge back in October 2012.

Juan Mata was an unused Chelsea substitute in their 3-1 home win over United last season and the Spain midfielder makes his first return to his former club this weekend.

Mata has played a key role in United's impressive form of late, scoring a match-winning double at Liverpool and also finding the back of the net against City last weekend to further endear himself to the Old Trafford faithful.

The ex-Valencia man will be out to prove a point to Mourinho and inspire United to a victory that would end Chelsea's unbeaten home record in the Premier League this season.

Robin van Persie scored a stoppage-time equaliser when the two sides met earlier in the season and the Netherlands striker could make his return from an ankle injury on Saturday, while Luke Shaw (hamstring) could also feature.

United have an injury concern over Michael Carrick (calf) after the England midfielder limped out of the derby.

Chelsea will again be without leading scorer Diego Costa (hamstring) and also have a doubt over fellow striker Loic Remy (calf).

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Crystal Palace v West Brom: Pulis not surprised by Palace form

16 April 2015

828866header.jpg

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis has not been surprised by the recent run of results former club Crystal Palace have enjoyed in the Premier League, as he prepares for his Selhurst Park return.

Palace have won their last four top-flight outings, including a victory over champions Manchester City and a 4-1 rout of struggling Sunderland.

It is in stark contrast to West Brom, with Pulis' men having suffered back-to-back home defeats against relegation candidates Leicester City and QPR.

Pulis left Palace in August following disagreements with the club's board, as Neil Warnock took charge for a brief spell before Alan Pardew's arrival in January.

"I had a wonderful time there, it was great and I really enjoyed it, a wonderful football club and the players were absolutely fantastic and the supporters were wonderful," said Pulis, who steered Palace away from relegation danger last season.

"I sat in the stand and watched them at Hull City and they had four points from 11 games and I knew it was going to be a massive, massive task.

"But what really mattered what them staying in the Premier League, it's a club with unbelievable potential.

"I was surprised they didn't get off to a good start [this season]. They've spent nearly £30 million this year on players to add to a squad that finished 11th last year.

"So, is it any surprise they are doing well now? No, not at all. If you look at the facts - a group of players were left behind and are still there. And both managers have added to it."

Pardew is on course to replicate the 11th-placed finish that saw Pulis named LMA Manager of the Year last term and the former Newcastle boss was also boosted by a new deal for versatile defender Joel Ward on Wednesday - with the 25-year-old effusive in his praise of his manager.

"The manager has changed the feel around the place," he told the Evening Standard.

"He has given us a sense of direction and we have bought into what he wants from us.

"Everyone is enjoying their football and once you get that momentum going, it is really hard to stop. We are on a real high at the moment and the club is improving year in, year out, so I really do think this is only the start of what is to come.

"[Pardew] has just come in and added to that with the organisation and direction, and we are creating an identity in the way we play."

Jordon Mutch (thigh) and Marouane Chamakh (hamstring) could miss out for Palace. Pulis is without the services of suspended midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu while Brown Ideye (knee) is also a doubt.

The two sides shared a 2-2 draw in October's meeting at The Hawthorns, when the hosts came from two goals behind.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton v Burnley: Dyche wants to play with freedom

16 April 2015

828875header.jpg

Burnley manager Sean Dyche wants his side to play without fear, despite their perilous position in the Premier League ahead of Saturday's visit to Everton.

Dyche's team come into the meeting at Goodison Park second from bottom in the table, two points adrift of safety.

The Lancashire club have won only one of their last 11 league matches - although that came against reigning champions Manchester City - and Dyche is attempting to foster a feeling of confidence around his squad.

"I want the players with freedom which means being open-minded and a relaxed focus," he said.

"Whether others have it or not, I'm not worried about that. I just look at what we're doing, and the players are playing with that freedom."

Burnley's top scorer this season is Danny Ings, who has nine Premier League goals to his name - including in the 3-1 defeat in the reverse fixture back in October. Dyche says the England Under-21 international can sometimes expect too much of his own performances.

"Danny puts a lot of demand on himself," Dyche said. "That can be a weakness as well as a strength.

"You can't get inside someone, it's down to them to play with that freedom. I want players to play that way. It has to be a balance and enjoy it. I've told him he's best when he plays with a smile on his face.

"There's not pressure from me. We went down this road early season then had a good patch. It's not just about strikers - it's about creating the better quality of chances. We look at it as a team."

In contrast to their visitors, Everton have little left to play for this season other than league position and pride.

Roberto Martinez's side, after a run of one league win in 12, have shown improvement in recent weeks with 10 points from their past four outings and the Spaniard is looking to continue that sequence throughout the remainder of the campaign.

"The next six games are very important to set things in place for next season and take advantage of the good moment of form we are in," he said.

"From Burnley's point of view, it's been a terrific season. Sean has done an incredible job. He's been very strong with his message and the way he wants his team to play.

"I don't think there's fear of relegation [for Burnley] and that's the biggest difference. If you can play with no fear, that's a big advantage."

Martinez said on Thursday that Romelu Lukaku should be fit to play some part after missing the last two games with a hamstring injury, although Bryan Oviedo (hamstring), Darron Gibson (fractured metatarsal) and Tony Hibbert (knee) are out.

Burnley, meanwhile, have Steven Reid (calf) and Ross Wallace (knock) back available.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leicester City v Swansea City: Survival is realistic, says Pearson

16 April 2015

828874header.jpg

Back-to-back victories have given Leicester City a more realistic chance of Premier League survival and Nigel Pearson is keen to see his players maintain momentum at home to Swansea City on Saturday.

Basement club Leicester had gone eight league matches without a win prior to picking up maximum points against both West Ham and West Brom, with those results lifting the King Power Stadium outfit within three points of safety.

Indeed, a three-goal winning margin for Leicester on Saturday, coupled with Burnley failing to win at Everton, would see them climb out of the relegation zone, as fellow strugglers Hull City and QPR are not in action this weekend.

"We've given ourselves a more realistic chance, but we've got to keep producing," said Pearson. "Our home form must improve and we have to stay focused.

"We've got almost the entire first-team squad available, which is important going into the run-in.

"We've had some bad luck, but the belief of the group has kept us going. It takes courage to keep standards high.

"We've got to make sure our run-in is what we want it to be. Our performances must be what we expect of ourselves.

"Other results only matter if you do your own job. If we can apply pressure by improving our own chances, all well and good."

Swansea have a dismal record when it comes to matches played in Leicester and are without a win in 10 since their last victory at Filbert Street in 1950.

The Welsh club equalled their Premier League points record of 47 with a 1-1 draw at home to Everton last time out, but will need to avoid defeat at Leicester for the first time since 1980 if they have designs on surpassing that marker this weekend.

"Playing any team is hard in this league, but the intensity of a team fighting for their lives at the end of a season is even harder," said Swansea boss Garry Monk.

"To be honest, I'm surprised they are where they are. I've watched them this season and they have some great quality. They've been unlucky with some results.

"But they have got themselves into a better situation with their last two results, so it will be another three points for us to fight for.

"Getting level with the points total is great, but I want to beat it."

Nelson Oliveira or Marvin Emnes look set to get the nod up front for Swansea, with Bafetimbi Gomis sidelined for up to four weeks with a hamstring injury, while Neil Taylor's two-match suspension presents Monk with a defensive dilemma.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Rosicky & Arteta will stay at Arsenal

860792_heroa.jpg

Apr 16, 2015 15:24:00

The long-serving Gunners pair will see their contracts expire upon the conclusion of the current campaign but the Frenchman expects both to stay put

Arsene Wenger believes Mikel Arteta and Tomas Rosicky will remain at Arsenal beyond this season.

The long-serving duo see their contracts expire this summer and although they have been linked with moves away from the Emirates Stadium, Wenger says he expects both to stay.

Despite revealing he wanted to leave the Gunners in January, Rosicky has featured prominently in the second half of the season, prompting talk of a new deal that would see him complete 10 years at Arsenal.

And, asked whether he felt Rosicky and Arteta would remain at the club, Wenger told reporters: "I think yes. That'll be sorted out at the end of May."

Arteta sustained a serious ankle injury in November and has not played for the Gunners since the 2-0 Champions League group stage win over Borussia Dortmund.

And although the 33-year-old is back playing for the Arsenal Under-21s as he aims to regain full fitness, Wenger says he is not yet ready for first-team football.

"Arteta is out and Chamberlain is not available for selection. Everybody else is alright. Ox out for 2 weeks," he added.

The Gunners face Reading in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley this Saturday.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard, Costa and Alexis head Player of the Year shortlist

1073572_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Apr 16, 2015 18:59:00

The trio are joined by David De Gea, Harry Kane and Philippe Coutinho while Thibaut Courtois and Raheem Sterling make the Young Player of the Year list

The Professional Footballer's Association (PFA) have announced their shortlist for this season's Player of the Year award, with Chelsea duo Eden Hazard and Diego Costa heading the list.

The pair are joined by Manchester United's David De Gea, Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez, Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho and Tottenham's Harry Kane.

There is no place, however, for the likes of Nemanja Matic, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Aguero or Morgan Schneiderlin.

Hazard, De Gea, Coutinho and Kane are also nominated for the Young Player of the Year prize alongside Chelsea's Thibaut Courtois and Liverpool's Raheem Sterling.

The winners will be announced on April 26.

PFA Player of the Year shortlist: Diego Costa (Chelsea), Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool), David De Gea (Manchester United), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal).

PFA Young Player of the Year shortlist: Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea), Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool), David De Gea (Manchester United), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool).

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bradford City fire claims are 'nonsense', says inquiry judge

1242572_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Apr 16, 2015 13:29:00

A new book draws a link between then chairman Stafford Heginbotham and eight other blazes - but Sir Oliver Popplewell has dismissed the claim that the fire was "not an accident"

Fresh claims that the Bradford City fire was premeditated is "nonsense", according to the judge of the original inquiry.

Martin Fisher's book, titled 'Fifty-Six - The Story of the Bradford Fire', states that the worst stadium fire in British history was "not an accident", with the chairman of Bradford City linked to eight other fires.

Following an investigation, a high court judge deemed the Valley Parade blaze, which killed 56 people, to have been started by a cigarette, but West Yorkshire Police confirmed on Wednesday they would review new evidence.

Author Fisher, a survivor of the 1985 fire which took the lives of his brother, father, uncle and grandfather, claims then Bradford City chairman Stafford Heginbotham was in dire financial straits at the time of the fires.

However, speaking to BBC Radio Leeds, Sir Oliver Popplewell said: "I'm sorry to say what is obviously a very good story, I'm afraid is nonsense for many reasons.

"As far as I'm concerned, we conducted our inquiries perfectly properly."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Three signings will turn Manchester United into champions, insists Neville

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united_zpc1qbfgg2im15gdwsczab3fe.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Apr 16, 2015 09:47:00

Gary Neville believes Louis van Gaal's side need to prioritise the signings of a centre-back, central midfielder and winger but doesn't think they need to spend €209 million again

Gary Neville believes Manchester United are three signings away from challenging for the Premier League title.

Louis van Gaal's side currently occupy third place in the table after a solid second half of the season, with many tipping the Red Devils to mount a serious challenge for the league in the 2015-16 campaign.

Van Gaal revealed on Wednesday that United's summer transfer plans are well underway , with the likes of Mats Hummels and Memphis Depay on the club's radar, and Neville believes three signings would be enough to transform the club into title contenders.

He said, as quoted by the Daily Mirror : "If you asked me three months ago, I would have said [United] were a long way behind.

"Now, it's not as far. Two or three months ago, they would have been thinking Chelsea are a long way in front of us. Now the recruitment battle that will happen in the summer becomes critical.

"If they get that right, United will feel confident they can challenge Chelsea for the title next season.

"I don’t think this summer is a case of United rebuilding or total restructure of the squad. They need to continue to improve in two or three positions: a central defender, a midfielder and a winger.

"It is a case of trading well, rather than wholesale buying. I don’t expect another €209 million spend. I don’t think it is required."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Jurgen Klopp and Zlatan Ibrahimovic can light up Premier League

Soap opera narrative of Premier League will be greatly enhanced by charisma of pair whose chances of arriving on these shores are a step closer to reality

kloppzlat_3270353b.jpg

Two's company: Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Jurgen Klopp would be welcomed with open arms

By Jim White
7:24PM BST 16 Apr 2015

I am already looking forward to next season’s Premier League. Two things happened this week which suggested that the entertainment value of our national football competition could be about to be enriched, that its soap opera narrative may be poised to take a delightfully diverting turn.

Because the chances of Jürgen Klopp and Zlatan Ibrahimovic seeking employment in this country have just increased hugely. With Klopp announcing his departure from Borussia Dortmund on the same day Ibrahimovic’s PSG were eviscerated in the Champions League, thus precipitating the Swede’s divorce from a footballing nation with which he has already publicly fallen out, both could be on their way to the big-money league. Hang on to your hats, things may be about to turn vibrant.

For sure, the pair may not be the most accomplished practitioners on the continent. If we were talking about improving the English game technically, of trying to redress the slip in Champions League performance of our clubs, then it would be far more profitable were Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi to come over here to work. Not to mention Diego Simeone and Cristiano Ronaldo.

klopppresser_3268243b.jpg

Jürgen Klopp announces his departure from Borussia Dortmund

But in terms of amusement and theatre there could be no better additions around than these two. So much would they add to the sum of things, the League’s chief executive, Richard Scudamore, should be lobbying his constituent members as we speak to ensure someone offers them a job here next season.

Because when it came to increasing the Premier League’s overseas television rights, there could be no better sell to foreign markets than a competition with this pair in it.

And there can be few fans in the country who would not value signing either of them at their club. Take Klopp. A footballing cavalier in an era of roundheads, he is a manager who believes in football’s romantic core, in building things rather than buying things, in the primacy of victory over possession stats.

A man of vibrant emotion, he behaves like a fan on the touchline, feeling every second of every game, occasionally erupting in volcanic spasms, as likely to kiss his players on the cheek as slap them around the face. He is the same away from the pitch, a vibrant, passionate, funny presence.

klopp_3270362b.jpg

Klopp has a tendency to act like a fan on the touchline

How Klopp would cheer up the Premier League, a competition woefully convinced of its own importance. How he would bring a lightness of touch, a sense of proportion, a little hint of humanity to the manager’s role.

There are not many of the current cohort of managers, after all, who have admitted weeping when obliged to sell their favourite player. Or been quite so jovially open about their recourse to personal cosmetic enhancement in the form of a splendid hair piece. He would be different. He would be fun.

More to the point he would help reconnect many a club with their supporters. What a coup it would be for Mike Ashley, for instance, to unveil him as the new manager at Newcastle, or for the porn magnates of West Ham to do the same ahead of the move to the Olympic Park.

dortmund_3270364b.jpg

Borussia Dortmund enjoyed unprecedented success under Klopp

As for Manchester City, he would certainly shake up a first-team squad grown complacent by success. Not to mention a management structure always keen to shift blame away from its own shortcomings.

But wherever he went, he would enliven every press conference. The Laughing German: how he would bust many a wearisome stereotype.

Then there is Zlatan. There is not a club in the league that would not be improved by his arrival. For sure he is high maintenance. For sure every dressing room in the land would have to be enlarged to accommodate his swollen ego. But, as his magnificent haul of goals for Sweden against England a couple of years ago attested, the rewards are significant.

zlatan1_3270366b.jpg

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has star quality on and off the pitch

What a transforming effect he could have at Liverpool, for one, replacing that most saccharine Zlatan-lite Mario Balotelli. Equally he could prove to be Louis van Gaal’s Eric Cantona, a player whose self-certainty infected his new colleagues with a contagion of belief.

True, his sense of his own significance may not allow him easily to settle at Arsenal, a club that once dared to suggest he might undergo a trial. But imagine the revenge he could wreak at Tottenham, linking up with Harry Kane and reminding Arsène Wenger on a weekly basis why precisely it is that Zlatan doesn’t do auditions.

And like Klopp, the Swede would provide such lively off-field copy it would be impossible to turn your back for a moment for fear of missing a gem. We can only hope it happens. Our game could do with such an injection of fun.