• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pearson: Relationship with chairman is positive

13 February 2015

788487header.jpg

Nigel Pearson insists his relationship with Leicester City's chairman remains a positive one despite a tumultuous week.

Despite a difficult few days at Leicester City, manager Nigel Pearson says his relationship with chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha remains a good one.

Pearson was involved in an altercation with Crystal Palace's James McArthur during Leicester's 1-0 Premier League defeat at the King Power Stadium on Saturday.

Both Pearson and McArthur claimed the incident had been blown out of proportion before, on Sunday, widespread reports emerged that Pearson had been sacked.

Leicester subsequently released a statement declaring that such suggestions were wide of the mark, and on Tuesday, Leicester lost 2-1 at Arsenal despite a spirited display.

Despite his job allegedly coming under threat last weekend, Pearson insists he and his chairman continue to get along well.

"My relationship is positive, both in terms of professionally and on a personal level," he said in a press conference ahead of the FA Cup fifth-round tie with Aston Villa this weekend.

"It remains the same, there has to be a level of a professional relationship.

"I'm just focusing on getting the players prepared for this next game.

"Relationships are always hard work, you have to work on them whether they're good, bad or indifferent.

"As I've said many times, what goes on in the confines of the four walls stays there.

"I don't have a great deal of control over what goes on outside of the club but I'll be working very hard to make sure we go into this game as prepared as we can be."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lukaku eyes move to ´top club´

13 February 2015

788339header.jpg

Following his return to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, Romelu Lukaku is eager to use his time at Everton to regain a place at a "top club".

Romelu Lukaku hopes he can find form at Everton and seal a return to one of the world's top clubs, having featured against former employers Chelsea on Wednesday.

Lukaku made his initial loan move permanent in July, with Everton snapping up the Belgium forward for a club-record fee.

While the 21-year-old has yet to rediscover the form he showed in his loan spell at Goodison Park, Lukaku is focused on securing a move to a "top club" in the future.

"They [Chelsea] know I'm a good player but that I want to develop so I can eventually get back to playing for a club like Chelsea," Lukaku told The Sun.

"I don't have a secret ambition to rejoin [Chelsea] - there are other clubs in the world.

"I just want to grow as a player and eventually arrive at a top club again."

Lukaku has 10 goals from 33 appearances in all competitions this term.

MeeSoupOzil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lukaku is not bad when he is on form but cannot match the real top strikers like Costa in strike rate and consistency so a person like Mourinho would surely want to offload him at a profit. He can do a good job in a decent team with a different manager.

Lukaku eyes move to ´top club´

Lukaku has 10 goals from 33 appearances in all competitions this term.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Robin van Persie stopped by police on way to Manchester United training session

Robin-van-Persie.jpg

Dutch striker was pictured being spoken to by an officer

SIMON RICE Saturday 14 February 2015

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie was pulled over by police earlier this week.

Pictures have emerged that show the Dutchman being pulled over on the M60 and then being spoken to by a female police officer. The 29-year-old, who was on his way to training, was let on his way without warning before driving off in his Range Rover.

The pictures were taken on Thursday morning, just hours after he scored from the penalty spot in Manchester United's 3-1 win over Burnley.

Van Persie is not the first Manchester United player to be involved in a driving related incident.

In 2009 Cristiano Ronaldo crashed his Ferrari sports car into a roadside barrier in a tunnel near Manchester airport whilst on his way to training. The car was badly damaged, however Ronaldo walked away unscathed.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

'I found it completely logical' - Wenger defends Van Gaal over 'long-ball United'

907412_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Feb 15, 2015 09:29:00

The Red Devils boss had reacted strongly to suggestions that he deployed an overly direct style against West Ham last Sunday, but the Frenchman says he did not have to respond

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he does not understand the furore over claims that Louis van Gaal has introduced a long-ball style at Manchester United.

Sam Allardyce, the West Ham manager who has long been associated with direct football, wryly suggested after the Hammers' 1-1 draw with the Red Devils a week ago that his men could not handle "long-ball United".

The suggestion rankled with Van Gaal, who was sufficiently irked to provide journalists with a four-page print-out of statistics, which showed that the Londoners played more long passes directly to their forwards, whereas United's were used to switch the play.

But Wenger says the Dutchman need not have responded at all because his team's change in approach was merited.

"I didn’t understand what was the problem," he told reporters. "Manchester United went a bit 'longer' in the last 10 minutes: I found that completely logical. There’s no reason for him to defend himself.

"An intelligent team knows how to exploit its strong points.

"I don’t even think Van Gaal said to his team ‘go longer’. But when they saw [Marouane] Fellaini on the pitch the guys at the back say, ‘Ah, I’ll kick it to Fellaini and then Van Persie or Rooney can score the goal’. It’s normal."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Official: Tim Sherwood named Aston Villa manager

445844_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Feb 14, 2015 14:29:00

The former Tottenham boss, who was sacked by Daniel Levy back in May 2014, replaces Paul Lambert at Villa Park with the Midlands club struggling at the wrong end of the table

Aston Villa have confirmed that Tim Sherwood has been appointed as the club's new manager, replacing the departed Paul Lambert.

The former Tottenham boss has been without a job since May 2014 after he was sacked by Spurs and although he had been heavily linked with QPR, talks with the club broke down paving the way for Villa to move in.

"It is a great honour to manage one of the biggest clubs in English football," Sherwood told the club's official website after the announcement of his appointment.

"I can't wait to get started and I'm really looking forward to the challenge."

Villa chairman Randy Lerner added: "While being forever conscious of the frustrations that we all suffer, we feel that a change that offers a positive, fresh approach will be very good for the club.

"I know that Tom [Fox, Villa chief executive] and many others at Villa worked very hard to recruit Tim in the face of severely limited time constraints and pounding pressure.

"More importantly, I know further that internally we remain focused and committed to challenges we face, and I am deeply appreciative for that."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR name Ramsey boss until end of the season

13 February 2015

788613header.jpg

After QPR failed to land reported targets Tim Sherwood and Michael Laudrup, Chris Ramsey will manage the club until the end of the season.

Chris Ramsey is to remain as QPR manager for the rest of the season, the club confirmed on Friday.

QPR named Ramsey and Kevin Bond as caretaker bosses following Harry Redknapp's sudden resignation earlier this month.

And the 52-year-old, who earlier this week stated he would be interested in the role full time, has now been asked to lead the first team through to the end of the campaign.

"This is a great privilege and an honour for me. I am excited about leading the club between now and the end of the season," Ramsey told QPR's official website.

"I believe in this group of players, the staff, and everyone working at the club.

"I'd like to thank the QPR supporters for their support so far and with their backing, I am confident that we can build on Tuesday's win at Sunderland and start to climb the table.

"During this period, I will still be involved in the running of the Academy for the rest of this season and beyond. Continuity is very important when it comes to the development of young players, which is something I am very mindful of."

Chairman Tony Fernandes added: "In the wake of Harry Redknapp’s resignation, it was my desire to identify the right individual for the job and at this time, we believe Chris is the ideal candidate.

"He has impressed everyone here in his short time in charge and I firmly believe he is the right man - working closely with [director of football] Les [Ferdinand] - to lead us until the end of the season.

"Chris has an opportunity now to stamp his authority and class on the position. He is part of our long-term plans at QPR.

"A lot has been written and said about the position, including by myself, but the decision has been taken to defer the permanent appointment until the end of the season.

"We spoke to many individuals who were interested in the role, one of whom I was quoted on as being a dream, but none of them were right to take the club forward at this time for a variety of reasons, whereas we firmly believe Chris is."

Former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood was the favourite to take the reins at Loftus Road, but reports suggest that move broke down over personal terms.

Michael Laudrup was also linked with the post, but the ex-Swansea manager - now in charge of Qatar side Lekhwiya - ruled himself out of contention.

Under Ramsey, QPR have lost and won one Premier League game, the London side beat Sunderland 2-0 on Tuesday for their first away points of the season.

That result left QPR 17th, outside of the relegation zone on goal difference.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool chairman confident of Sterling deal

14 February 2015

788804header.jpg

Raheem Sterling is likely to commit his immediate future to Liverpool by agreeing a new contract, according to chairman Tom Werner.

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner is confident the club can agree a new long-term deal with forward Raheem Sterling.

The 20-year-old England international is out of contract at the end of next season, with talks between the club and his representatives yet to be finalised.

However, Werner remains upbeat that an agreement will be reached to keep one of the club's most prized assets.

"All I can say is that I'm hopeful that we'll conclude a deal," Werner told the Liverpool Echo.

"Obviously it's important for us. He's an exceptional player.

"[Manager] Brendan [Rodgers] and [chief executive] Ian Ayre are quite involved and Brendan is talking to Raheem about this and I hope and expect a very positive outcome that is good for Raheem - and good for the club.

"I would say that I’m confident that we will reach an agreement that works for all parties."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fernandes: Ramsey in control of his long-term QPR destiny

14 February 2015

788854header.jpg

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes wants Chris Ramsey to prove he should remain as manager into next season and beyond

Chris Ramsey will be given every chance to stake a claim to stay on as QPR manager on a long-term basis, according to chairman Tony Fernandes.

It was confirmed on Friday that Ramsey will remain in charge until the end of the season after he and Kevin Bond took over temporarily following Harry Redknapp's sudden resignation earlier this month.

The managerial change had an immediate impact as QPR secured their first away win of 2014-15 with a crucial 2-0 victory at Sunderland on Tuesday to lift the side out of the Premier League relegation zone.

And Fernandes is open to the idea of the Ramsey remaining in the Loftus Road hotseat, providing he proves he can cut it in the top flight.

Fernandes posted on Twitter on Saturday: "We found a great guy to manage us form next season a dream manager but actually we had a dream candidate right in front of us Chris Ramsey.

"So we the board decided to give Chris a chance and he certainly has been a dream in such a short period. First away win. Happy players.

"He's modest, gets on with the job is organised, passionate and loyal.

"There are no guarantees in football. But Chris Ramsey has every chance to build a long term and huge managerial future at QPR. We are lucky."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis switching styles again

15 February 2015

789356header.jpg

Having used a range of styles at Stoke City and Crystal Palace, Tony Pulis once again has to find the survival formula at West Brom.

Tony Pulis is relishing showing his tactical flexibility at West Brom, as he looks to perform another Premier League fire-fighting job.

Pulis took Stoke City to the Premier League before keeping them competitive in the top-flight for five seasons with a rigid defence and direct approach.

After departing the Britannia Stadium, Pulis was drafted in by Crystal Palace last term - and a proficient counter-attacking approach took the London club to safety in stunning fashion, having picked up just four points under predecessor Ian Holloway.

Now he has arrived at The Hawthorns, where West Brom hope he can once again be a catalyst for survival after a spell of struggle with Alan Irvine.

Though often labelled as a proponent of a physical style of play, Pulis believes he has displayed an ability to switch up tactics previously - highlighting a partnership between strikers Brown Ideye and Saido Berahino as crucial to his hopes of striking the perfect balance at West Brom.

Pulis said: "This is a different team with different qualities to the one I worked with at Palace and at Stoke.

"At Palace, for example, we had pace down the sides but we don't have that here.

"We have other qualities such as trickery and we've got 'Bobby' [Ideye] and Berahino working as a partnership.

"But it is all about adapting to the strengths we have and we are still working on that."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fresh setback ´crippling´ for Carroll

15 February 2015

789340header.jpg

Andy Carroll has had another season curtailed by injury woe, and manager Sam Allardyce is concerned over the mental affects it could have.

Sam Allardyce is worried that a fresh long-term injury for Andy Carroll could be "crippling mentally" for the West Ham striker.

All three of Carroll's seasons at Upton Park have been heavily interrupted by fitness issues and he will play no further part in the current campaign due to a knee injury that requires surgery.

Carroll has already missed an estimated 14 months of action due to injuries in his time with the club.

A struggle to play regularly has affected the England international as he looks to rebuild a reputation damaged by a fruitless spell at Liverpool.

Allardyce said: "It's crippling mentally for Andy of course because it was such an innocuous situation when you saw it - he just ran into a defender.

"These things have been testing Andy for a number of years so we all feel for him and we all miss him and want him playing for us, because you saw what an impact he has made."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool a lesson for Souare - Pardew

15 February 2015

789335header.jpg

Alan Pardew believes Pape Souare can become a capable Premier League left-back, after making his Crystal Palace debut against Liverpool.

Crystal Palace newboy Pape Souare was given a chastening first lesson to becoming a full-back in the Premier League against Liverpool, but Alan Pardew has backed him to make it.

Souare was a signing from Lille late in the mid-season transfer window and made his Palace bow in Saturday's FA Cup fifth-round tie at Selhurst Park.

The Senegal left-back was perhaps lucky not to give away a first-half penalty after a clumsy tackle on Daniel Sturridge and Pardew - who worked with a glut on Frenchmen at Newcastle United - conceded his new man had not enjoyed a sparkling bow.

Pardew said: "He looked like a player that had come out of Ligue 1 French football because now he'll understand the intensity of a Premier League game.

"In France, you can attack - and then you can slowly drift back to a defending situation and the other team will attack at some point.

"In the Premier League that doesn't happen, the turnover happens all the time.

"When I've inherited French defenders - and [Mathieu] Debuchy was the same when he arrived [at Newcastle from Lille] - the intensity catches them out and it caught [Souare] out tonight.

"He needs to understand, his fitness needs to improve, he's got less time on the pass. He made some mistakes on the pass.

"He has all the told you need to be a modern full-back, but he's going to take time. He's not going to be the finished article by any stretch, probably this whole first season."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dyche: Ings too good for Real Sociedad

15 February 2015

789441header.jpg

As speculation mounts regarding Danny Ings' future, Burnley manager Sean Dyche has urged him to snub Real Sociedad and stay in England.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche is adamant Danny Ings is too good to play for Real Sociedad and should instead be targeting a move to a major Premier League club.

The England Under-21 international striker, who has netted five goals in his last six Premier League games, will become a free agent at the end of the season, sparking plenty of reported interest in him.

Sociedad head coach David Moyes rates Ings highly and has already hinted he will offer him the chance to relocate to Spain, but Dyche - who appears resigned to losing the striker - believes a switch to La Liga would be detrimental to his developing career.

"I think we all know his development needs to continue and that's in the Premier League," Dyche told Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday.

"The middle of La Liga is no use for a young player, I don't personally think so – albeit it is a great standard.

"I think he's better than that. I think he's top end of the Premier League.

"He would only move abroad for financial reasons. It's not for development. His development is top end of the Premier League. It's the most powerful league in the world.

"His aspirations, as they should be, are to play for his national side and he definitely wants to play for England. I think his journey is in the Premier League."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toure retires from international football

15 February 2015

789506header.jpg

Fresh from being part of Ivory Coast's Africa Cup of Nations-winning side, defender Kolo Toure has retired from international football.

Kolo Toure has called time on his international career a week after helping Ivory Coast win the Africa Cup of Nations.

The Liverpool defender, who turns 34 next month, converted a crucial penalty as Herve Renard's defeated Ghana 9-8 in a thrilling shootout in last Sunday's final.

Toure revealed in December that he planned to retire after the African showpiece and has now confirmed that he has played his last game for Ivory Coast, having amassed over 100 caps for his country.

"It is with great emotion that I inform you that it is time to say goodbye," Toure told TV channel RTI.

"My goal was to win the Africa Cup of Nations and I must admit that it was a very difficult decision to make.

"I do love my country and especially love football, but at some point, there comes a time to stop."

Toure made his international debut in 2000 and represented Ivory Coast at two World Cups

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man Utd stars praise Di Maria

Ashley Young and Michael Carrick are certain Manchester United did not make an expensive mistake in signing Angel Di Maria.

w638_h359_at__9716512.jpg

Sunday 15th February 2015

Di Maria joined United in August for 59.7m from Real Madrid, smashing the club's transfer record, and there were early signs it would prove to be money well spent.

But the Argentina international has struggled to live up to his fast start, with a hamstring injury at the end of 2014 not helping, but Young is convinced United made a clever move in bringing him to Old Trafford.

"Angel was a fantastic signing," Young told United Uncovered.

"Real Madrid have other top players in their team, like Gareth Bale andCristiano Ronaldo, but he was the one who stood out for me in that team lastseason.

"When you add quality to a squad that already has quality it can only helpus.

"We saw in the first couple of days in training just how good a player Angelis and what we can expect from him. He was definitely a great signing for us."

Carrick went a little further in his praise of Di Maria, likening some of his attributes to those club great Ryan Giggs produced over his 14 years as a United player.

He added: "There are players who have got tricks and can drop the shoulder to go past players, but he is so direct in his play.

"It is almost like Giggsy used to be in many ways. When he picks that ball uphe can carry it and change direction pretty quickly, so it is very tough todefend against especially if he is going through the middle of the park.

"There aren't many players who go through the middle. You get wide players whodo it, but you don't see many players dribble through the middle of thepitch."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood: We'll be fine

Tim Sherwood has assured Aston Villa fans he will have no problem keeping the club in the Premier League.

w638_h359_at__9716921.jpg

Sunday 15th February 2015

The former Tottenham manager was announced as the clubs new boss on Saturday, following Paul Lamberts sacking earlier this week, and is expected to take full charge in time for their home league game with Stoke on Saturday.

And after watching Saturday's win from the stands, he told Sky Sports News HQ: "I was very encouraged, and they did very well. It becomes a habit, winning. They did well today, a lot of desire, a lot of energy and Im very impressed.

"Well be fine, no problem. [My aim is] winning as many games as we can to stay in that division, thats it."

First-team coach Scott Marshall had earlier hailed Sherwood's surprise half-time pep talk after the first half finished goalless.

Sherwood had not been involved in team selection, but he was very animated while sat next to chief executive Tom Fox and went into the dressing room during the break.

Marshall said: "He came in and made a couple of points to the lads, a couple of bits and pieces for everyone. I thought the boys delivered that in the second half and were very good.

"He was there and there was good information to the group, there's a football knowledge there which comes with a lifetime in the game.

"He was in the dressing room before the game briefly, not a huge amount, but he introduced himself and wished the boys the best."

Villa went on to take the lead through Leandro Bacuna, before Scott Sinclair added a second in the 89th minute. Leicester briefly rallied when new signing Andrej Kramaric headed past Shay Given in the first minute of injury time.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Radwan Hamed: Player left brain damaged wins case against Tottenham Hotspur

pg-60-spurs-pitch-getty.jpg

Damages, which could reach £7m, are to be decided next week.

James Orr
Monday 16 February 2015

A High Court judge has ruled today that Tottenham Hotspur breached its duties to a 17-year-old player who suffered cardiac arrest in his first game for the club and was left brain damaged.

Radwan Hamed collapsed during the youth team game in Belgium in August 2006. Unlike Fabrice Muamba, who made a full recovery after suffering a heart attack on the White Hart Lane pitch in 2012, Hamed sustained catastrophic brain damage.

Mr Hamed's father, Raymon, claimed that his injuries resulted from the negligence of Dr Peter Mills, a cardiologist who screened his son, and of the club - through Dr Charlotte Cowie and Dr Mark Curtin, specialist sports physicians it employed.

Damages, which could reach £7m, are to be decided next week.

Mr Justice Hickinbottom ruled the club was 70% liable and Dr Peter Mills, the Football Association's regional cardiologist for South East England, was 30% liable.

A spokesman for Tottenham said: "The club wholeheartedly regrets that a former employee, as adjudged, was remiss in their duties to Radwan.

"This judgment will hopefully now secure the best possible treatment and care for him. The club has been supportive of Radwan and his family over the past 10 years and we wish them well for the future."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie will be back for Swansea clash, confirms Van Gaal

937702_heroa.jpg

Feb 17, 2015 11:38:00

The Netherlands striker missed Monday's FA Cup win over Preston and is likely to retain his place at the weekend after Radamel Falcao again struggled to make an impact

Louis van Gaal has confirmed Robin van Persie will return to the Manchester United squad for Saturday’s Premier League match against Swansea.

The Netherlands striker missed Monday’s FA Cup fifth round win over Preston with an unspecified injury but is likely to retain his place at the weekend after Radamel Falcao again struggled to make an impact.

"Yes, he shall be fit,” confirmed Van Gaal when asked about the availability of Van Persie ahead of the trip to the Liberty Stadium.

Falcao, meanwhile, has scored just four goals in 19 appearances since joining on loan from Monaco and cut a disconsolate figure when he was withdrawn on the hour mark against League One opposition with his side still trailing.

Van Persie himself has struggled for top form during a campaign which has regularly been interrupted by injury but is the only United player to have reached double figures in terms of goals so far this season.

Goals from Ander Herrera, Marouane Fellaini and Wayne Rooney eventually saw United overcome Preston at Deepdale and set-up a quarter-final clash against Arsenal at Old Trafford next month.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Man United would be in the relegation zone without De Gea'

722812_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Feb 16, 2015 10:40:00

One of the club's former coaches says Louis van Gaal's side would be fighting for survival without their goalkeeper

Tommy Docherty believes Manchester United would be in the relegation zone if it wasn't for the outstanding performances of goalkeeper David de Gea.

While United sit third in the Premier League table after just one defeat from their past 15 matches, the club have been unconvincing and were completely outplayed by relegation-threatened Burnley during last week's 2-1 victory at Old Trafford.

And Docherty - winner of the 1977 FA Cup and 1974-75 Second Division title during his five-year stint in charge of United - says their situation could be a whole lot worse without their Spain international.

He told the Daily Mirror: "If David de Gea, who has shown he's world-class, hadn't played the way he has this season, United would probably be in the relegation zone now. He's been absolutely brilliant."

The Old Trafford crowd have begun to show their discontent at recent displays and Docherty believes United boss Louis van Gaal must change his style and adhere to the club's attacking traditions.

"Once the crowd start to get on you if you don't give them what they want – and they're the ones who pay your salary – they'll start showing disillusionment with the way the team is playing," he continued.

"The fans at United have been brought up with great football – two wingers going down the touchline, raining crosses in to the strikers. That's not happening.

"You've got to give the supporters what they want, and you can't really see a lot of progress at the moment, with the money he's already spent, let alone the money he's set to spend this summer.

"With that, you have to guarantee success. They've still got a good chance of finishing in the top four and back into the Champions League, but the way they're playing there's no guarantee."

United face Preston North End in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Monday night, having been taken to a replay in the last round by League Two side Cambridge, before winning 3-0 at Old Trafford, and Docherty says it's imperative the club see off their League One opponents.

"If United get beat by Preston, their season's almost over. Then all they'd have to go for is the top four – and they've got to get into that.

"A bad season for United, with the money they've spent and the players they've got, would be finishing in the top-four. They've got to get into the top four every year – minimum."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

I turned down PSG job to return to Chelsea - Mourinho

944342_heroa.jpg

By Greg Lea
Feb 17, 2015 07:10:00

The Portuguese admits he rejected the chance to take over the French giants after meeting the club's owners, and says he is now focused on winning the double with the Blues

Jose Mourinho turned down the chance to manage Paris Saint-Germain and now has his eyes firmly set on Champions League glory with Chelsea.

The 52-year-old admitted he met the Ligue 1 champions' wealthy owners Nasser Al-Khelaifi and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani while he was in charge of Real Madrid and was even offered the job in 2011 and 2013, but opted to return to Stamford Bridge instead.

With Chelsea set to take on PSG in the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday night, Mourinho has no regrets over his decision.

“I know the PSG project well", he said. "I know it well because when they started this project with the owner, the president and Leonardo, I was to be the coach.

“I met them in Qatar. The project was to start *dominating in France, then Europe. The domination in France is there, they are champions, champions, champions.

“They know they are going to be champions. They know other teams will not resist and that they can even lose a few matches.

“But I didn’t go because I was at Real Madrid and it was a real ambition for me to be a champion in Spain, England and Italy. It was not the right moment for me to go".

Mourinho's focus is now firmly on Chelsea, and the Portuguese insists that the rigours of English football mean that winning the Premier League and Champions League with the Londoners would rank as a far greater achievement than doing the same elsewhere on the continent.

“Chelsea finished 25 points behind the *champions and stopped playing for the title around November or December, because a team that is playing in this country to win every game, to try to be champions and to be top of the league and competing top one, top two, minimum top three, is a completely different profile.

“It’s a big achievement for any English club to do that, not just for us. It’s a big achievement to win the Premier League for any club".