• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal dreaming of maiden derby victory

10 April 2015

825522header.jpg

Louis van Gaal is dreaming of a first derby victory when Manchester United take on Manchester City in the Premier League on Sunday, but insists defeat would not be his side's biggest failure this season.

United suffered a 1-0 defeat at the Etihad Stadium in November, but have since climbed above their neighbours into third following a poor run of form for Manuel Pellegrini's men.

City have lost their last three away matches and Van Gaal is hopeful of inflicting more misery on the champions in the chase for UEFA Champions League qualification.

"I dream of it," he said. "Every player shall dream of victory.

"I've had to think with my staff and players a lot a of days how we have to beat Manchester City.

"You are sitting in that process to win against your next opponent and of course you want to win because it is a big step in the table.

"Third place is then reachable and, a month ago, nobody was thinking about that besides me.

"Third is also good because you are certain to qualify for the Champions League and we are doing better than the goals we set in pre-season."

However, Van Gaal believes two defeats to Swansea City this season will always rank as a bigger disappointment than potentially losing twice to United's local rivals.

"As Manchester United you cannot lose two times to Swansea City," he added. "I think that is a bigger failure than when we lose against Manchester City two times."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Advocaat: Forget about derby win

10 April 2015

825542header.jpg

Sunderland manager Dick Advocaat has urged his players to forget about their 1-0 derby victory over Newcastle United last weekend and concentrate on the fight for Premier League survival.

That victory at the Stadium of Light - Advocaat's first since assuming the reins from Gus Poyet - lifted Sunderland three points clear of the relegation zone.

However, the Wearsiders end their season with trips to Arsenal and Chelsea, so Advocaat is keen to do all he can in the meantime to secure his new club's position in the top flight.

"We cannot think any more of Newcastle, I have told them that," he said. "We have in principle five games in which we have to do it [survive].

"We still have a chance in the last two away games, but in principle, we have to do it in the first five games, so the most important game is now tomorrow."

Sunderland host Crystal Palace - managed by former Newcastle boss Alan Pardew - on Saturday.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sturridge hopeful of Sterling Anfield stay

10 April 2015

825586header.jpg

Daniel Sturridge hopes fellow England and Liverpool forward Raheem Sterling remains at Anfield.

Sterling has been at the centre of protracted contract negotiations to improve his terms with the Merseyside club and caused anger among some supporters when he conducted an interview with the BBC, during which he dismissed accusations that he was a "money grabber".

There was further evidence of continued ill-feeling when Sterling was heckled by Liverpool fans as he launched Liverpool’s 2015/16 kit alongside Sturridge, Simon Mignolet and Martin Skrtel on Friday.

Nevertheless, Sturridge is hopeful the situation can be resolved and stated the importance of the 20-year-old Sterling playing regular football at this stage of his career.

"I don't know what Raheem wants to do but it's just important to be able to play regularly,” he said.

"As long as he's playing regularly then he'll be happy. I don't think it's anything to do with anything other than that and I hope that he'll stay at the club.

"I think it's important, regardless of who you are, that you're able to show what you can do, not just for Raheem, but for any young player.

"It's important to play games and gain experience, so whatever decision he makes, I'm behind him 100 per cent."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger thrilled to avoid ´nightmare´ post-season tour

11 April 2015

825777header.jpg

Premier League clubs may love the financial benefits and foreign supporters may relish a rare chance to see their heroes in the flesh, but Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger considers lengthy post-season tours a "nightmare".

Arsenal have two matches organised outside Europe following the 2014-15 Pseason, as part of the Singapore-based Barclays Asia Trophy from July 15-18.

But, compared to the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City, Arsenal's foreign commitments will be minor, which suits Wenger.

"A post-season tour is a nightmare," the Frenchman said.

"In pre-season, you have the players under pressure with the focus of starting the season well. A post-season tour, I always feel people come along to watch but the players are half on their holidays.

"It is a relaxed atmosphere with none of the intensity of a pre-season game.

"Maybe it is a holiday tour and good to have a relaxed atmosphere together but from a purely football point of view, there is not much meaning – let's be honest."

Wenger hopes Arsenal's decision - seemingly prioritising football over financial concerns - will pay dividends on the pitch next term.

"I am quite pleased with that because pre-season is always a difficult time to prepare well," he said.

"The commercial pressures are difficult but you want to find a compromise. We cannot ignore anymore the worldwide reputation and I would say it [a tour] is more PR than finances.

"I hope we can benefit from keeping our tour short."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho pragmatic on title run-in

11 April 2015

825794header.jpg

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is taking nothing for granted in the Premier League title race, despite boasting a seven-point cushion over nearest rivals Arsenal and having a game in hand.

Mourinho's men are well on course to be crowned champions of England for the fifth time in the club's history and first since 2009-10.

But Mourinho is wary of getting carried away as Chelsea prepare to travel to relegation-threatened QPR on Sunday for the first of their remaining eight league matches.

When asked who are his side's biggest threat in the title run-in, he replied: "All of them.

"Mathematically it is open. Every team with less than 21 points distance to us mathematically is in the race.

"Being objective, a team with seven, eight, nine points difference is obviously still in the race."

QPR, who are third bottom, have picked up four points from their last two games as they scrap for top-flight survival.

Mourinho added: "We need points, we need victories and we cannot choose matches. It doesn’t make any sense to think about some matches and not others.

"Obviously it's very important for both teams. Nobody is expecting an easy match.

"Last weekend we played against a team that is very stable in the middle of the table [a 2-1 win over Stoke City] and they were fantastic in their approach, their commitment, trying to win the match or not losing it.

"Everybody knows they [QPR] need points in the remaining six fixtures they have, so we know it will be a difficult game for us.

"It's a three-point match and we have to play with our maximum to try to get them."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kane wouldn't get in my Aston Villa team - Sherwood

harry-kane-tottenham_1mgi1tmxbc26f1lk89kmsr2u4b.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Apr 11, 2015 09:14:00

The England international has scored 29 goals in all competitions this season but the former Spurs boss says he would rather have Christian Benteke and Gabriel Agbonlahor

Tim Sherwood says that in-form Tottenham striker Harry Kane would struggle to get in his Aston Villa side ahead of Christian Benteke and Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Kane has hit 29 goals in all competitions this season, while Benteke and Agbonlahor have scored 17 between them in 2014-15.

Sherwood, though, maintains that he would not be able to fit Kane into his starting XI as he prepares to return to White Hart Lane for the first time this weekend.

Having played a key role in Kane’s development during his time in north London, Sherwood joked: “I will be looking to buy him in the summer!

“But at the moment with Christian banging the goals in like he is and Gabby playing like he is, I don’t think I have room for Harry.

“Harry is a good player and we have to show him respect but I have also seen him have off days and we have to hope he has an off day on Saturday.

“I have communicated with him just to wish him well and congratulate him on his international call-ups.”

Villa lie three points clear of the relegation zone in 16th ahead of their trip to Spurs, while Mauricio Pochettino’s men are seven points adrift of the top-four.

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kompany a doubt for Manchester derby, confirms Pellegrini

1196622_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Apr 10, 2015 20:37:00

The Belgian sustained a hamstring injury during the club's 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace and the Chilean says he may miss the clash with rivals United

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany may miss this weekend's derby clash with Manchester United because of a hamstring injury, manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed.

City head into Sunday's meeting at Old Trafford having fallen behind United, while they sit nine points adrift of Premier League leaders Chelsea following a 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace on Monday.

And the Premier League champions could be without their skipper when they head to Old Trafford, though Pellegrini maintains his side will be able to cope if the Belgian is ruled out of the fixture.

"Kompany could finish the game the other day but he couldn't work the normal way all week," he told reporters, while also ruling out Wilfried Bony, and casting doubt on Dedryck Boyata and Stevan Jovetic's fitness.

"We'll see on Saturday if he can play or not. I always say the same, it's always better with Kompany but, if he can't play, we have a squad and we will replace him."

Pellegrini also insists he is not surprised by United's recent fine form, while he claims that his players must be at their best if they are to emerge victorious against Louis van Gaal's side.

"I'm not impressed because Louis van Gaal's teams are offensive teams who try to win titles," he added. "United bought a lot of very good players in the summer - Angel Di Maria, Ander Herrera, Radamel Falcao, Juan Mata the season before, and Daley Blind.

"They bought a lot of very good players - the strange thing was why they weren't doing it before but it's no surprise they are doing well now.

"I think that United have a lot of respect for our team as we dominated not only the derby in the last few years but also the Premier League.

"I understand we are not having the away results we want - 2015 is not a good year for us for this but the motivation is to win, always."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

1218312_thumb.jpg

Burnley 0 - 1 Arsenal: Ramsey on target as Wenger's men march on
Aaron Ramsey's first-half goal gave Arsenal a 1-0 win over Burnley at Turf Moor that moves them to within four points of leaders Chelsea.

1217952_thumb.jpg

West Ham 1-1 Stoke City: Late Arnautovic leveller denies Hammers
Sam Allardyce's side took an early lead through the left-back's sublime free-kick but the Austria international found an equaliser deep in injury time

1217352_thumb.jpg

Tottenham 0-1 Aston Villa: Benteke hands Sherwood winning White Hart Lane return
The Belgian continued his impressive form under the former Spurs boss with a fine first-half header as Mauricio Pochettino & Co. lost at home for the first time since November

1218042_thumb.jpg

West Brom 2-3 Leicester City: Vardy stunner completes miraculous Foxes comeback
The Premier League's bottom club fought back three times to stun the Hawthorns and cut the gap between themselves and safety to just three points with just their second win of 2015

1217852_thumb.jpg

Sunderland 1-4 Crystal Palace: Bolasie hat-trick piles on the misery on Black Cats
The Eagles winger scored three as Alan Pardew's side ran rampant in the second-half, scoring four goals in 14 minutes, to further increase the pressure on the hosts

1217802_thumb.jpg

Southampton 2-0 Hull City: Pelle ends drought to keep Saints in Europa League hunt
The hosts comfortably defeated the Tigers after two goals, one from the Italian and a penalty from youngster James Ward Prowse, to maintain their European hopes

1216822_thumb.jpg

Swansea City 1-1 Everton: Shelvey penalty denies Martinez a fourth straight league win
The Toffees last-season revival was hampered as Seamus Coleman handled inside his area, cancelling out Aaron Lennon's second goal since joining on loan from Tottenham

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Sensational' Ibe back in Liverpool squad

jordonibecropped_teuz11qedc0g1o4hm3egr37rn.jpg

By Russell Greaves
Apr 11, 2015 13:38:00

The 19-year-old has been sidelined with a knee injury since February's Europa League exit away to Besiktas but has returned at his best in training

Jordon Ibe will return to Liverpool's squad for Monday's Premier League match against Newcastle.

Manager Brendan Rodgers says the winger has been "absolutely sensational" since returning to training following the knee injury he sustained in February's trip to Besiktas in the Europa League.

The 19-year-old, who spent time on loan at Championship side Derby County, will hope to make just his eighth league appearance for the club.

Rodgers told the club's official website: "Jordon Ibe will come back in. I have got to say, he has looked absolutely sensational in training.

"He has been out for a while, but he has been out on the field for a couple of weeks now, doing his preparation work and he has joined in training.

"He has looked absolutely outstanding - he has got real natural fitness. He'll come into the squad for Monday. Some of the others that have been out are still out."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pochettino demands cutting edge from Spurs

11 April 2015

826063header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino urged Tottenham to be more clinical in front of goal after seeing his side beaten 1-0 by Aston Villa on Saturday.

Pochettino's predecessor Tim Sherwood watched as his Villa side claimed maximum points, with Christian Benteke heading home the only goal of the game 10 minutes before half-time.

However, the hosts struggled to create attacking openings - their best coming through a Harry Kane strike that clipped the roof of the net.

Even the late dismissal of Carlos Sanchez failed to allow Spurs back in, with Pochettino frustrated by a lack of poise up front.

Asked by BBC Sport whether his side deserved anything from the game, he responded: "Maybe, when you analyse the 90 minutes, maybe yes.

"We had chances, possession of the ball, managed the game but the first chance they had, they scored.

"Then it was difficult for us. I'm disappointed with the result, disappointed for the players, it was not a good game.

"We need to increase our performance if we want to take the points, we need to be more clinical in offensive situations.

"I think maybe we deserved more in this game but the feeling wasn't good today and we need to improve."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allardyce fumes at late draw

11 April 2015

826078header.jpg

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce bemoaned his side's costly habit of conceding late goals after a 95th-minute Marko Arnautovic leveller forced them to share the spoils with Stoke City at Upton Park.

The home side moved in front as early at the seventh minute on Saturday, when Aaron Cresswell's magnificent free-kick left Asmir Begovic clutching at thin air in the Stoke goal.

But the Potters took advantage of some nervy home defending to snatch a point right at the death and leave Allardyce exasperated.

"It's bewildering at the moment," he said.

"Since [conceding a late goal to] Manchester United [in February], we have thrown seven points away in the final seconds of the game. That's against Spurs, Leicester [City] and Stoke today.

"You tally those up, that's 50 points [that West Ham would have, which would have been our greatest points total ever in this league and it looks like a really good season.

"So throwing this one away is bitterly disappointing. The lads showed a lot of nerves and brought a little bit of panic into what we were trying to do and while I have to say that it was a very good goal from Stoke, we should have dealt with it well before it went in.

"We failed miserably to do what we needed to do in the last few seconds. We should have kept possession much better in the moments before that goal and we have to be more capable of seeing the game out."

The two sides began and ended the day locked on the same number of points in mid-table and there was little to choose between them in a hard-fought clash that contained enough goalmouth action to keep a crowd of nearly 35,000 entertained.

Unfotunately for West Ham, however, Enner Valencia was forced to limp from the fray in the second half having returned from a month-long absence with a toe injury, while fellow frontman Diafra Sakho also went off injured.

The pair have contributed 14 league goals between them this season and Allardyce was understandably dismayed at the prospect of both men missing next weekend's trip to Manchester City.

"Goals are going to be harder to come by because we lost those two strikers," he said.

"Sakho has a thigh injury and Valencia hobbled off after a kick. He wasn't going to play the whole game anyway because he's only just back from injury.

"And we've got Andy [Carroll] out until next season, which means we've got to be even more resilient because we're going to score even fewer goals if those players are missing.

"If it's more than a grade one tear with Sakho, we'll be lucky to see him again this season. It's a blow because he's our top scorer, but we'll just have to deal with it."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pulis bemoans sloppy defending

11 April 2015

826076header.jpg

Tony Pulis claims his West Brom players took two first-half leads for granted as fellow strugglers Leicester City came from behind to condemn them to a 3-2 Premier League loss at The Hawthorns.

Jamie Vardy's late strike ensured that Nigel Pearson's side secured back-to-back wins and sent West Brom - six points above the bottom three - slumping to a third successive defeat.

"In the second half in particular, there were two or three incidents where we've given the ball away or picked the wrong pass and given Leicester the impetus," Pulis said.

"We played really well in the first half, but conceded three really disappointing goals.

"The first goal, it is lower-league stuff, a ball pumped forward and they win the first header, get on the second and score.

"But we came back well and we were the better team up until half-time."

Darren Fletcher gave Albion the lead early on, only for David Nugent to equalise soon after.

Craig Gardner's venomous volley put the hosts back in front before the interval, and although West Brom twice went close through Jonas Olsson, it was Leicester who drew level through Pulis' former Stoke player Robert Huth. Vardy then snatched the victory late on.

"You can't take anything for granted at this level," added Pulis.

"We missed a lot of chances by giving possession over – one of those was with Saido [Berahino], he had a great chance to pass to [Craig] Gardner in the box, but instead decided to shot from 25 yards – if he plays Gardner in it could've been 3-1.

"We were never out of the relegation battle, as I've said all along you need the points, and that's the main thing."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leicester must show belief in relegation scrap - Pearson

11 April 2015

826085header.jpg

Nigel Pearson insists that Leicester City still have a lot more work to do if they are to survive in the Premier League after closing the gap on their relegation rivals.

Jamie Vardy's last-gasp strike secured a 3-2 victory at West Brom on Saturday as Pearson's men came from behind to make it seven points from their last four games.

But Pearson, who believes that the second-half display was reflective of Leicester's recent form, affirmed that the players must maintain their belief if they are to stand a chance of avoiding the drop.

"We've still got an awful lot to do, although it makes preparation for the next game more positive, we've got to go out and perform again," he said.

"At no point this season have the players doubted their belief, probably the first half [against West Brom] was the first time that's happened, so we need to keep that up.

"We've had some occasions recently, particularly away, where we don't think things went our way, so it's nice for things to go our way."

After David Nugent had cancelled out Darren Fletcher's early opener for Albion, Tony Pulis' side retook the lead before the break through Craig Gardner's powerful volley.

Robert Huth restored parity as the second half drew to a close before, in the dying moments, Vardy fired in the winner.

And despite being pleased with the second-half showing, Pearson admitted that his side's first-half performance left a lot to be desired.

"We weren't very pleased with the first half, because with the situation we're in at the moment we don't want to have regrets about how we approached the game or applied ourselves," he continued.

"With the second half we took our fate into our own hands and we want to keep it there.

"We had to take a few chances, we had plenty of attacking players on the pitch in the second half and plenty of craft there.

"Vardy and Nugent are difficult for defenders to deal with because of their energy levels and pace, so we have to play to their strengths."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moses looks set to be sidelined with hamstring injury

11 April 2015

826110header.jpg

Stoke City's Victor Moses may be out for several weeks with a hamstring injury, according to manager Mark Hughes.

The Chelsea loanee, who has netted four times in all competitions, limped off during Stoke's 1-1 Premier League draw at West Ham on Saturday after pulling up when attempting a shot.

"It looks like Victor has pulled his hamstring," said Welshman Hughes.

"It looks like it is in a strange position as it seems to be right behind his knee, which isn't the normal position you usually get hamstring injuries.

"We will get it checked, it may be something that isn't to do with the hamstring so it could be that we get good news but we can't be sure yet.

"If it is a hamstring, then it could be that we lose him for a few weeks."

Stoke also lost defender Marc Wilson at half-time, with the Irishman failing to overcome a knock to the hip.

"Marc got a bang right on his hip, fair play to him he tried to go out for the second half and see if he could make it work," added Hughes.

"Sadly he couldn't loosen it off and had to be forced off unfortunately."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No complaints from Advocaat after Palace rout

11 April 2015

826107header.jpg

Dick Advocaat offered a stark appraisal of Sunderland's performance in Saturday's 4-1 home defeat at the hands of Crystal Palace but insisted his side can bounce back and secure Premier League status.

Palace scored four goals in 17 second-half minutes at the Stadium of Light - including Glenn Murray's goal and a Yannick Bolasie hat-trick - before Connor Wickham's late consolation effort for the hosts.

After last week's 1-0 victory over fierce rivals Newcastle United, Advocaat was left to rue poor defending after a damaging result.

"We had a good performance last week against Newcastle, but today, we weren't in the game," explained the Dutchman.

"I'm not angry with the players, because they tried to do their best.

"I won't criticise players individually but our defending today was not of the highest level. We have to improve as a team and it doesn't help if I start shouting at everybody.

"Some of the players are playing to their limits, there's no doubt about that. But they showed against Newcastle that if everybody knows what they are supposed to do in the game, we can get results and

"Now we have to do that in our next game against Stoke."

Advocaat also took time to praise Palace’s attacking threats including Bolasie, who scored his first Premier League treble.

"Even in the first half, Palace were a little bit the better side with their pace up front and the individual skills of their players," the former Netherlands coach added.

"We were still in the game at 0-0 at half-time and I thought that if we could stay compact, we could create something.

"But then we gave the game away by conceding three goals in seven minutes.

"Newcastle was an excellent result and we looked good and were sharp in that game but you could see today that we couldn't handle Palace's pace."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dyche rues lack of cutting edge as Burnley slip to loss

11 April 2015

826154header.jpg

Burnley manager Sean Dyche bemoaned familiar failings in front of goal as his team slipped to a 1-0 Premier League loss against Arsenal.

Aaron Ramsey's 12th-minute strike settled a tightly contested match at Turf Moor as the hosts struggled to create clear-cut chances.

Ashley Barnes and George Boyd failed to capitalise when Burnley's best second-half openings came their way, meaning Dyche's men lie two points from safety in 19th position with six games of the season remaining.

Boyd's winner against Manchester City last month stands as the club's only goal in their past six matches.

"There were moments but you've got to take the moments and that's something that we've failed at all season," Dyche said at his post-match press conference.

"[In the] second half we got right on the front foot and went after them much better than we did in the first half.

"You've got to take the chances you create - we created certainly two good ones but you've got to take them at this level, particularly against sides like Arsenal because they don't give you many."

He added: "We've shown this season that we can score goals. We've got to bring that on thick and fast, we know that. There's six big games coming."

Overall, Dyche was pleased with another performance in keeping with the plaudits his players have earned throughout the campaign - meaning the defensive lapse that allowed Ramsey to pounce came as a bitter disappointment.

"The only disappointment of the game, in the bigger picture, was the goal," he said.

"There's an obvious desire from the team - it's well documented and you could see it today.

"There's a good belief in the side and moments of quality that we need to bring to win football matches.

"We've been very good lately at keeping the back door shut but now it's about finding that balance between the two.

"It was a really awful goal. Other than that I thought we defended very well and limited them to a couple of breakaway chances."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger lauds Burnley after prevailing at Turf Moor

11 April 2015

0.jpg

Arsene Wenger paid tribute to Burnley after his Arsenal side secured a hard-earned 1-0 Premier League win at Turf Moor.

Aaron Ramsey's 12th-minute strike made it eight successive wins for Wenger's men - the most prolific run by any team in the English top flight this season - but they were made to work for their victory.

The result leaves Burnley second bottom and two points from safety with six games remaining, but Wenger hopes they are able to beat the drop.

"I'm pleased with the performance because it was more a fighting performance than a fluent performance and many people question us on that side," he told his pre-match press conference.

"I must say that I'm surprised by the quality of Burnley.

"It would be a shame if they go down becuase they are fantastically well organised, they press very well, they have a great solidarity and they are very fit.

"I understand now why they took points from the big teams here.

"We had to fight; we had to be combative until the end - we couldn't score the second goal.

"Our defenders played well today and that got us the three points. Our defenders, keeper included, deserve credit."

Arsenal's stellar form and the collapse of reigning champions Manchester City over recent weeks has established Wenger's team as the closest challengers to league leaders Chelsea.

The Stamford Bridge outfit remain four points clear with two games in hand, however, and Wenger is understandably reserved over the prospect of a late Arsenal title charge.

"Nothing has changed," he added. "They are still too comfortable, Chelsea.

"We need a perfect run and we need a non-perfect run from them.

"So we cannot master that. We can only master our own attitude. I feel they are still in a comfortable position."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Financial Fair Play protects established powerhouses - Kompany

12 April 2015

826280header.jpg

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany hit out at UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules, which he claims are designed to restrict the Eastlands outfit's capacity.

Ahead of City's derby with Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, the Belgium international said the Financial Fair Play Regulations - brought in for the 2011-12 season - were designed to prolong their stands of established powerhouses such as United.

"That's how I look at it anyway," Kompany told the Sunday Telegraph.

"If you go into the business world you can't say to anyone they cannot invest. I understand the fans have to be protected, the clubs have to be protected but plans need to be accepted.

"You win things; you get more fans. You get more fans; you create more revenue. That's not a stupid way of thinking of investing in a business.

"I do understand there needs to be regulation but I just wonder what is going to change at the top?

"When I came to England it was just four clubs at the top. Four. The same top four all the time and that's changed now."

Kompany said the smaller clubs were not as protected by the regulations, as was the intention.

"What you do is actually protect the few who already have the things geared up to create enough revenue for them to invest more than anyone else," he added.

"I think there needs to be a format that people respect. When you get into a club you need to subscribe to be in there for a number of years, you need to maybe commit to a certain number of regulations but in this case who are you protecting?"

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Downing wants Allardyce to stay

12 April 2015

826300header.jpg

West Ham winger Stewart Downing has urged the club's hierarchy to stick with manager Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce's days at Upton Park appear numbered, with West Ham not expected to renew his contract at the end of the Premier League season.

The 60-year-old, who avoided the sack last term, has already conceded he does not know whether he will be in charge next season.

However, Downing wants to see Allardyce lead the team in 2015-16.

"We'd like him to stay. We don't know what the situation is," Downing said following West Ham's 1-1 draw with Stoke City on Saturday.

"It's going to be resolved at the end of the season as he said yesterday I think. The only thing we can do is win games.

"This puts him in a stronger position to keep his job. Obviously he is disappointed today because wins help. Losing games and drawing games probably won’t help him.

"Like I said, we are disappointed today. Whatever will be will be at the end of the season. I'm sure he’ll want to get it sorted as soon as he can."

West Ham are ninth in the standings, with 43 points from 32 matches.