• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR confirm injured Vargas out for rest of the season

chilenos-por-el-mundo_1pu82koptmdtl1kv0t8h2ku72n.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 6, 2015 16:27:00

Chris Ramsey's side will be without the Chile international for the run-in but are hoping to have Richard Dunne and Leroy Fer available as they close in on first-team returns

QPR have confirmed that Eduardo Vargas has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury that is expected to keep him out for between 10-12 weeks.

The 25-year-old opened the scoring in Saturday's 4-1 win over West Brom but picked up the injury after falling awkwardly and had to be replaced in the first half.

The result gave Chris Ramsey's side a boost in their fight to avoid relegation but they will have to make do without the Chile international for their remaining seven games.

"Scans have since revealed Vargas sustained a grade two medial collateral ligament injury, which is likely to keep him sidelined for between 10-12 weeks," read a statement on the club's website.

"Vargas is the third QPR player to sustain an MCL injury since the turn of the year, following recent injuries to Richard Dunne and Leroy Fer.

"However, both Dunne and Fer are now closing in on a first team return, with the pair potentially in line to be in contention for the visit of West Ham United to Loftus Road at the end of the month."

Vargas has scored three goals for QPR this season after signing on loan from Napoli in August.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

City can bounce back at Man United - Kompany

vincentkompany-cropped_d4uxgwni3q701bvq8x011z6rt.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Apr 7, 2015 16:55:00

Manuel Pellegrini's side were beaten by Crystal Palace on Monday but their captain is still confident ahead of facing their city rivals

Vincent Kompany says that Manchester City's dreadful form might somehow work in their favour in Sunday's Manchester derby.

Goals either side of the break from Glenn Murray and Jason Puncheon condemned City to a 2-1 defeat at Crystal Palace on Monday, leaving the defending champions fourth in the Premier League.

After a fourth consecutive away defeat in all competitions, Manuel Pellegrini's side face a fight to secure an automatic Champions League berth and trail third-placed rivals Manchester United by a point going into the derby.

As captain Kompany prepares to end the season without silverware, the Belgian has urged his team-mates to finish with a flourish regardless.

"For me, my only concern is we get back to our best form," he told The Guardian.

"I've learnt from the past seasons as well that finishing a season strongly can have an impact on your next season as well.

"We have United on Sunday and a derby is a derby. It doesn't matter what place you are in the league, it's a derby.

"If anything, it's a good moment to go into a derby. I guess the momentum is a little bit with our neighbours at the moment but it's the perfect place for us to go and try to rectify what we've had on Monday."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: Liverpool not threatening enough

brendanrodgers-cropped_ujxizkfmywdu1rjhc3fioplf1.jpg

By Harry West
Apr 7, 2015 09:45:00

The Reds have scored only three goals in their last four games, which the manager pins on his own side's failure to create better chances and take them

Liverpool need to rediscover their creativity after scoring just three goals in their last four games, says manager Brendan Rodgers.

A 13-match unbeaten run saw the Reds reignite their Champions League qualification hopes but subsequent back-to-back defeats by Manchester United and Arsenal have put them seven points behind the top four.

Ahead of Wednesday's FA Cup quarter-final replay at Blackburn Rovers, Rodgers refuted suggestions from the press that opposition sides have worked out how to combat his team.

"No, I don't think it's about working out," he argued. "I think, if you look at it, we created possibilities in the game against Arsenal early on. We didn't start well and it doesn't matter what system you're playing.

"The last four games that we played - with all due respect, we haven't created as much and that's more on ourselves. Of course, you give the opponent credit but every team will go into a game to defend well and work hard against you.

"Probably the Blackburn game, when we drew 0-0 and the games following that, we probably haven't created as much and that's something we want to really reinforce is the creativity of chances and hopefully taking those chances.

"It's my job to always find the solutions. That's what I've tried to do in the games when we didn't look like scoring - finding a way to win."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mental weakness threatening Man City's title hopes - Neville

manuel-pellegrini-premier-league-burnley-v-manchester-city-140315_14zrc9xry7fwp1f3s3syn2xjma.jpg

By George Ankers
Apr 7, 2015 11:29:00

The England coach slammed the reigning Premier League champions' inability to mount a serious defence of their title after Monday's 2-1 defeat by mid-table Crystal Palace

Manchester City's lack of mental strength is to blame for the poor run of form which has seen their title hopes all but obliterated, claims Gary Neville.

The reigning Premier League champions fell to fourth in the table with a 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace on Monday, their seventh in 13 matches.

Manuel Pellegrini's side are nine points off top spot, having played a game more than leaders Chelsea, and the former Manchester United star does not expect them to roar back.

"They have got a mentality problem, there is no doubt about that," Neville told Sky Sports. "This team cannot sustain success and I think that is a terrible thing to have levelled at you.

"When you win championships, you have got to be able to come back again with hunger and they do not. They drop off it. They get to the top of the mountain and drop off it.

"Ultimately they couldn't break a resolute, resilient defence down against Crystal Palace. Chelsea had that problem last season many times - it cost them the league. It has cost City on Monday. They just did not have enough to break them down.

"I do not think they have enough quality when they get it to wide positions. I do not think Jesus Navas is doing it for them. Edin Dzeko and Sergio Aguero up front as a partnership, is it a partnership? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't."

The former defender pointed out that they are performing well below expectations in every competition they feature in.

"This is a talented squad, along with Chelsea, the best squad in the league. They should be pushing them all the way in the league.

"They are falling well short of where they should be. Make no mistake about that.

"We said three, four months ago, 'it is now or never for this team'. They cannot progress beyond the last 16 of the Champions League, they cannot sustain success by winning back-to-back championships, they are getting older and their average age is the highest in the league.

"Unfortunately some of those lads are not going to be there next season. That Manchester City team, with the ambition and quality they have, should be doing better than that."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: Manchester City played well in Crystal Palace defeat

manuelpellegrini-cropped_13388l1ub0e2p1rmec1i2v0ube.jpg

By Harry West
Apr 6, 2015 23:49:00

The Chilean insisted that the reigning Premier League champions deserved more from a game that has all but ended their hopes of retaining their title

Manuel Pellegrini believes Manchester City played well against Crystal Palace on Monday - despite watching his side fall to a 2-1 defeat at Selhurst Park.

The reigning Premier League champions dominated the opening exchanges at Selhurst Park, but were dealt a sucker punch in the 34th minute when Glenn Murray tapped home from close range.

City felt the goal should not have stood, claiming that both Murray and Scott Dann were offside in the build-up, with replays showing the two decisions to be marginal.

But the effort was allowed to stand, and Jason Puncheon's free-kick early in the second half rubbed salt into City's wounds, with Yaya Toure's fine strike with 12 minutes to go counting for little.

"We played a good game from beginning to end, had a lot of chances, and we lost the game because they scored an offside goal and a beautiful free-kick," Pellegrini told Sky Sports.

"I don't want to have this discussion about the referee, it's not a good duty of the manager to analyse the referee.

"You asked me why we lost and I repeat, because of an offside goal and a beautiful free-kick."

When quizzed about City's faint hopes of retaining their title, Pellegrini insisted his team will continue to play game-by-game.

"I'm not talking about the title, I'm just trying to win our games and we will see at the end of the season," he added.

"Every time you drop points it is a big blow but we must try to play in the way we did today because normally we win the game.

"We're just thinking about what we can do in trying to win our games and see at the end of the season which position we are in."

City are now nine points behind league leaders Chelsea, having played a game more.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: I'm not worried about losing my job

0,,%7E13627136,00.jpeg

By George Ankers
Apr 7, 2015 08:33:00

Despite Monday's 2-1 defeat and being nine points behind Chelsea, the Chilean does not believe he will be sacked

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists that he is "not concerned" about the possibility of losing his job despite his team's ongoing struggles.

The reigning Premier League champions have seen their challenge to retain their title fall away with Crystal Palace beating them 2-1 at Selhurst Park on Monday - their seventh defeat in 13 games and a fourth consecutive away loss.

While Pellegrini is by no means seen as a permanent figure by higher-ups at the Etihad Stadium, City could retain the Chilean into the final year of his contract despite his malaise in 2015.

"I'm not concerned about my job. That is one thing I am never concerned with," Pellegrini told reporters.

"I never have fear about it, I do my work, I'm very happy. The team maybe have a difficult season but never worry about me.

"We are not thinking about Chelsea, or about the title. We are just trying to win our games."

City are now fourth in the Premier League, two and one points behind Arsenal and Manchester United respectively, and face the former in their next game. Chelsea, meanwhile, have the luxury of a nine-point lead and a game in hand over Pellegrini's men.

"We're not talking about the title," Pellegrini said to Sky Sports. "We just want to win our games. It's a blow - every time you drop points it's a big blow. At the end of the season, every point that you lose is costly.

"The next seven games are very important. Normally the champions' place is just one or two above the next team so we must continue to win as many points as we can. There are 21 to play for.

"We are only thinking about what we can do and that is to try and win our games and at the end of the season we will see where we are in the table."

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

One year after being sacked by Manchester United - no one is laughing at Moyes now

1197422_heroa.jpg

Apr 7, 2015 09:50:00

Having been undermined, criticised, and ridiculed at Old Trafford, the Scot changed the narrative by overseeing a revival at Real Sociedad and making himself popular

By Liam Twomey

When David Moyes takes on Diego Simeone and his team of Atletico Madrid champions at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday, there will be no grand prize on offer. Relegation and European qualification are equally beyond Real Sociedad with nine La Liga games to go; the best-case scenario is the kind of top-half finish typical of more than a decade of understated achievement at Everton.

More significantly, no one will be laughing. That in itself is a credit to Moyes and his work in San Sebastian, less than a year removed from a 10-month ordeal and brutal professional trauma that threatened to become a permanent blight on an admirable – if over-promoted – managerial career.

Memories of Moyes, wide-eyed, attempting to explain yet another inept Manchester United performance but more often lurching unwittingly from one press conference faux pas to another, already feel like fragments of an ancient past. This is partly because Louis van Gaal’s sheer force of personality inevitably cows any recollection of what came before at Old Trafford, but it is also due to the fact that, more than 1600km away on the Bay of Biscay, Moyes’ rehabilitation progresses at a healthy pace.

Taking over La Real was a left-field choice and yet also a no-brainer. Having been undermined, criticised, ridiculed and finally sacked in the most cruel way possible, Moyes needed to escape – and not just on holiday to Miami, where paparazzi cameras still found ways to harass him. He needed to change the narrative, and the easiest way to start was a complete change of environment.

His new club had dire needs of its own. Less than 18 months after a thrilling Champions League qualification, the first 11 matches of the 2014-15 La Liga campaign had yielded just two victories. Despite selling the likes of Asier Illarramendi, Claudio Bravo and Antoine Griezmann, a squad that languished in 19th was better than previous coach Jagoba Arrasate had shown. Above all, La Real lacked organisation and toughness. They lacked Moyes.

He has done exactly what he was appointed to do. Having lost seven of 15 games prior to his arrival, La Real have tasted defeat just five times in 22 since. Two La Liga wins this season have become nine, including a famous triumph over Barcelona at the start of January, and the upturn has transformed an unforeseen relegation battle into mid-table serenity.

"Our immediate aim has been achieved," sporting director Loren told Marca after a 3-1 swatting of Cordoba secured a third straight victory to end March. "I think the first thing that David [Moyes] did when he arrived was to try to give the team more solidity and consistency, and you can see that he has achieved that. The team is improving."

No longer second-guessing himself on matters of style, Moyes has reverted to proven type. La Real are a disciplined, physical side that defends with a plan and attacks with haste. Four of their seven victories since mid-November have been achieved with a 1-0 scoreline, while there have been nine clean sheets in all.

As a couple of viral press conference clips have highlighted, the Spanish speaking is progressing somewhat more slowly than the on-field results. But Moyes is showing desire, attending classes two nights a week and undertaking tests on his iPhone daily, though he jokes he will never get his head around Basque.

Limited language skills have been no barrier to his bonding with supporters – or clashing with officials. In mid-January, during a hard-fought Copa Del Rey clash with Villarreal, Moyes was sent to the stands for making a 'you need glasses' gesture at referee Carlos Velasco Carballo. No sooner had he seated himself among the home fans than a friendly arm snaked towards him bearing an open packet of crisps. He good-naturedly dipped his hand in and munched as he watched.

Moyes is popular and, more importantly, seemingly happy within himself again. His contract with La Real runs just one more season beyond this one and he and his wife are still living in a local hotel, but he insists he loves San Sebastian and is looking for an apartment. The signs are that if an opportunity arose to extend his stay at Anoeta beyond 2017, he would be very open to taking it.

Before then, there will surely be clubs willing to offer Moyes a return to the Premier League – not least because the year since his departure has only served to accentuate his successes and mitigate his failings.

Roberto Martinez’s disastrous second season at Everton is rooted in a loss of the defensive cohesion his predecessor cultivated so well. Elsewhere in the north west, it has taken United eight months and more than €200 million of summer spending under Van Gaal to finally stumble across the beginnings of a post-Ferguson identity, with Moyes recruits Marouane Fellaini and Juan Mata both playing significant roles in the revival.

But such thoughts will not assail the Scot as he pits his wits against Simeone at the Calderon for the first time. On his mind will be three points, and the chance to take another step away from the humiliation that already feels a long time ago.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm lucky to be at United - Herrera

ander-herrera-premier-league-manchester-united-v-aston-villa-040415_1jm2euvkcw5ps1tlzuup9s8w5e.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Apr 7, 2015 14:41:00

The 25-year-old midfielder, who scored twice in the 3-1 win over Aston Villa, has adapted quickly to life in England and is dreaming of a long stay at the club

In-form Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera has admitted he is very lucky to be at Old Trafford and says he never once questioned his future during a spell on the bench earlier this season.

The 25-year-old has emerged as one of United's standout performers in the second half of the season and has started the last eight games for Louis van Gaal's side, scoring four goals in the process.

After initially struggling to force his way into the first-team picture at the club, Herrera insists he was always settled in England and that he feels fortunate to be playing for the Red Devils.

The ex-Athletic Bilbao star told United Review: "I'm very happy. Even when I was not playing, I was also happy. I am at Manchester United. I feel really lucky to be here.

"The manager has to decide who is playing or not but we have to respect always the decision he makes. The manager wants the best for the team, the best for us and we have to follow him always.

"When I signed for Manchester United, I was thinking of players like Michael Carrick, Wayne Rooney, Antonio Valencia, Rafael da Silva and, although he is not here now, Darren Fletcher. These are people who have been playing for a long time for United.

"It's my dream to be here for a long time because I am in the right team, in the right league and in the right country. I feel very happy and I want to stay at the club for many years to come.

"I feel I quickly adapted to this league and this country because I am so comfortable here. I think [we at] Manchester United are always helping each other to adapt and to feel like we're at home. I feel really good at United and I hope to stay here for a long time."

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mulumbu: I didn't deliberately elbow Barton

youssoufmulumbu-cropped_1demf76dwc8fm1h0rsm2403mxg.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Apr 6, 2015 21:39:00

The West Brom midfielder was given his marching orders by referee Lee Probert after appearing to catch the QPR man with a flailing arm at the Hawthorns

West Brom midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu will discuss the possibility of appealing his red card in Saturday's Premier League defeat to QPR with head coach Tony Pulis.

Mulumbu lasted just 12 minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute in a disappointing 4-1 loss, receiving his marching orders after catching Joey Barton with his elbow.

The 28-year-old has protested his innocence, though, insisting that the decision of referee Lee Probert was harsh.

"I just jumped higher than Joey Barton," Mulumbu told reporters. "I didn't even know what player it was.

"I just jumped higher than him and I didn't make any movement with my shoulder. I think it's harsh but that's how it is.

"I didn't make any movement to hurt anybody so we will speak with the coach and the club and see what is the best way to sort this out."

Barton, who scored QPR's fourth goal at The Hawthorns, also came out in defence of Mulumbu after the game, stating the offence did not warrant a straight red.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramsey rues ´schoolboy errors´

7 April 2015

824007header.jpg

QPR manager Chris Ramsey blamed" schoolboy errors" as Christian Benteke’s hat-trick denied his side a vital win at Aston Villa in the battle to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Ramsey's side looked set to move above Villa and out of the bottom three when Charlie Austin put them 3-2 up with 12 minutes to play at Villa Park on Tuesday.

But Benteke then curled home a brilliant free-kick to complete his treble and snatch a point for the hosts after a pulsating clash.

Matt Phillips opened the scoring early on at Villa Park, before Benteke struck twice to put the home team ahead at half-time.

Clint Hill's header levelled matters shortly after the break, and Austin put QPR in front with a typical poacher's finish before Benteke's superb intervention seven minutes from time.

A disappointed Ramsey told BBC Sport: "The goals we gave away were schoolboy errors.

"The point was better for them, we would have loved to have won the game and been above the line.

"Based on the performance in the second half we are disappointed we have not got three points."

Ramsey admitted Villa had the better of the first half but felt his team deserved more than a draw.

"In the first half we got overrun a bit, we caused our own problems our technique was poor, they had a lot chances and we rode our luck," he added.

"But we were fantastic in the second half and the travelling fans had something to cheer about."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wilshere: I´m ready to play

8 April 2015

824162header.jpg

Jack Wilshere is eager to play a role in Arsenal's run-in after the midfielder played 90 minutes for the club's Under-21s.

The England international has been hampered by a problem with his left ankle, for which he underwent a minor procedure in February.

He took a significant step on the road to recovery when he completed a full game in Tuesday's 4-1 win over Stoke City, when Abou Diaby also got some game time.

And now Wilshere, who has not played since the 2-1 loss to Manchester United in November, wants to get involved in Arsenal's bid for Premier League and FA Cup honours.

"You can train as much as you like, but you can't get that match fitness unless you play," he told the club's official website.

"In the Premier League you know how quick it is so you have to get back to that speed.

"I feel like I'm ready to play some part. When you're injured you look at your comeback date and the games around that time.

"The one that stands out is the FA Cup semi-final, but even before that we've got big games and we've got to go to Man United as well so there's a chance to play this season."

Arsenal sit second in the table after winning 10 of their last 11 league games, while they face Reading at Wembley in the last four of the FA Cup on April 18.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mata hails Herrera partnership

8 April 2015

824198header.jpg

Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata is enjoying the benefits of playing alongside fellow Spaniard Ander Herrera, suggesting the two have an almost telepathic understanding.

Both players are in fine form, with Mata having scored twice in the 2-1 win at Liverpool, while Herrera mirrored his team-mate's effort in Saturday's 3-1 triumph over Aston Villa.

With the two having assisted one another for a goal apiece in those matches, Mata explained that the duo were on the same wavelength after becoming friends off the field during their days in Spain's youth teams.

"I think it's because of the relationship we've had over the years and because we understand football and life in more or less the same way," the former Chelsea man told the club's official website.

"I think we play well together because we understand each other and sometimes without speaking or looking we know where we're going to pass or where we're going to move on the pitch.

"The first goal at Anfield is a good example of that - he controlled the ball, turned and knew where I was already running to and he put the ball there. Ander is a quality player and I'm very happy he's here and playing and performing well."

The pair will hope to link up again in Sunday's derby against Manchester City, when United look to take another step towards a UEFA Champions League return.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gomis happy to stay at Swansea

8 April 2015

824205header.jpg

In-form Swansea City striker Bafetimbi Gomis is content at Swansea City and intends to remain at the club next season.

The former Lyon man has scored four of his five Premier League goals in the last six outings, having become the focal point up front for Garry Monk since Wilfried Bony's departure to Manchester City.

A brace in Saturday's 3-1 win against Hull City continued the upturn in form for a player who was heavily linked with leaving the Liberty Stadium in January.

Asked whether he regretted departing Lyon for the Welsh club, Gomis told L'Equipe: "No, I do not regret it. In Swansea, there is a culture and a philosophy of play that I like, and for which I signed.

"I did not make a mistake. I see myself here next year, although in football you can not always plan past six months.

"One of those who helped me the most to adapt to my arrival in Swansea was Bony. We were neighbours and we became friends. I thought we would play together, side by side, in a system with two forwards.

"He has a very particular path, I wish him the best but frankly, there is a good mentality [at Swansea]. My team-mates helped me adjust and the coach makes sure that the atmosphere is good.

"He knows the club and the dressing room. When you do not play much, as was my case early in the season, you have to show the group that you are available, which is with good behaviour. That should not be overlooked."

France international Gomis has not played for his country since June 2013 and, despite his recent form, does not expect to hear from Didier Deschamps in the coming months.

"Les Bleus, right now, I do not think so. I'm not selectable," he added.

"I used to score 20 to 25 goals per season [for Lyon] but here I am on five in the Premier League. I must continue to score and impose myself as one of the best strikers in the Premier League, and then we'll see.

"If I try to be one of the best, then I can think of the possibility, it would be the icing on the cake."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keane denies road rage charge

8 April 2015

824230header.jpg

Republic of Ireland assistant manager Roy Keane will stand trial over an alleged road rage incident in June after pleading not guilty to a public order offence on Wednesday.

Former Manchester United and Ireland captain Keane is alleged to have been involved in an altercation with a taxi driver earlier this year.

However, the 43-year-old has entered a not-guilty plea and will stand trial on June 19 at Manchester Magistrates' Court.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

West Ham´s Tomkins prepared to miss rest of season

8 April 2015

824320header.jpg

James Tomkins would view a return to action this season as "a bonus" as the West Ham defender recovers from shoulder surgery.

The centre-back has not featured for the London club for just over a month after dislocating a shoulder in the gym.

Tomkins, who suffered the same injury during his time in West Ham's academy, is encouraged by the progress he is making with his rehabilitation, but knows he may have to wait until next season to make his comeback

He told the club's official website: "I was in the gym doing some exercises like I normally do, but just went a bit too far with one of them and unfortunately I dislocated my shoulder.

"I'd have been frustrated if I had done it on the pitch, so to do it in the gym made it even more frustrating.

"I had the operation about two weeks ago and it has settled down. I'm progressing with my rehab and getting more movement and hopefully I can get back as soon as I can.

"I am pleased the surgery went well. I went to see a top surgeon who has done a lot of operations on other Premier League footballers and it went well for myself, so hopefully this time it will stay in place for good. It#s even stronger than it was before now and fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

"I never thought about it when I was going out to play and I became more and more confident with every game I played after it happened before. I was always confident after training and I know when I come back this time I will be the same.

"Hopefully it will not set me back and I will be able to play a couple of games before the end of the season, you never know. It depends on how well it goes. I'm preparing myself mentally that I won’t play again this season, so if I come back earlier then it's a bonus."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie back in United training

8 April 2015

824337header.jpg

Manchester United have been boosted by Robin van Persie's return to training, with the striker having not featured for the club since February's 2-1 win over Swansea City.

The Netherlands international played the entirety of that victory, but left the Liberty Stadium in a protective boot and has missed every game since.

Manager Louis van Gaal suggested last week that his compatriot would not be fit for Sunday's derby against Manchester City, although his improved fitness will likely serve as a fillip regardless.

Van Persie tweeted on Wednesday: "Back to training with the group today. Was a great session. Happy to be fit and able to play again. Looking forward to my next game!"

United have won all but one game since Van Persie's injury, with Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata helping to provide the attacking threat in the Dutchman's absence.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

United my dream club - Allardyce

9 April 2015

824719header.jpg

Sam Allardyce has admitted that he holds a career-long ambition to manage Manchester United.

West Ham boss Allardyce, who is expected to leave Upton Park at the end of this season, has enjoyed a lengthy managerial career, taking charge of the likes of Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers before pitching up in east London in 2011.

But the 60-year-old said being the boss at Old Trafford represents his "dream".

In an interview with BT Sport, Allardyce revealed: "If I didn't say West Ham were the dream club to manage then I'd be in trouble with West Ham fans, but there has always been one dream club to manage for me - and that would be Man United.

"Playing at Old Trafford myself and then going back there as a manager - I think probably in this country, they are the one."

Allardyce went on to explain that his "biggest disappointment" remains losing out to Steve McClaren in the race to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager in 2006.

"I had done two interviews for the job and [then Football Association chairman] Brian Barwick called me to say it was between me and Steve. He said 'we will let you know'," Allardyce added.

"I never got a phone call."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wilshere not for sale - Wenger

9 April 2015

824860header.jpg

With Jack Wilshere preparing to make his Arsenal return, manager Arsene Wenger has quashed rumours over a potential bid for the midfielder from Manchester City.

Wilshere has not played for Arsenal since injuring his ankle against Manchester United in November, but could be back for Saturday's trip to Burnley along with Mathieu Debuchy, Abou Diaby and Mikel Arteta.

A run of seven Premier League wins in a row has seen Arsenal move within seven points of leaders Chelsea having played a game more, with Wenger eager to focus on the run-in rather than speculation over the likes of Wilshere.

Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri and Emmanuel Adebayor have all been prised away from the Emirates Stadium by City in recent seasons, but the Arsenal boss maintains the landscape has now shifted.

Pressed on the potential sale of Wilshere to the champions, Wenger said: "You can imagine my answer. We are not in a position anymore where we have to sell our best players.

"Everybody can have a really big impact over the rest of the season.

"Chelsea have a difficult schedule but so do we. All we can do is master our schedule.

"What we want is to go as high as we can until the end of the season. Give our best.

"We are in an important moment of the Premier League season. It's a period you show your quality by focusing on the next game."

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am getting better with age, says Chelsea boss Mourinho

9 April 2015

824803header.jpg

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho claims he is getting better with age and feels he could continue coaching for the next 20 years.

The Portuguese is one the most successful and revered coaches in world football having won league titles in his native Portugal, Italy, Spain and England.

Mourinho has also won the UEFA Champions League twice, once at Porto and again at Inter, and appears destined to add a third Premier League triumph to his list of achievements, as Chelsea sit seven points clear of second-placed Arsenal with a game in hand.

Now 52, Mourinho believes that all facets of his management style have improved and he has no intention of winding down any time soon.

"I think I have a problem, which is I'm getting better at everything related to my job since I started," Mourinho told The Telegraph.

"There has been evolution in many different areas - the way I read the game; the way I prepare the game; the way I train; the methodology.

"I feel better and better. But there is one point where I cannot change - when I face the media, I am never a hypocrite.

"You know, in football, I'm not so old. At 52 maybe I have 20 years in front of me to coach. But I feel myself as you might say an 'old fox'.

"Nothing scares me, nothing worries me too much. It looks like nothing new can happen for me. I am very, very stable in the control of these emotions, but I need my time to think. Not wake up in the middle of the night worrying about somebody's injury, or the tactic for this match.

"I need to reflect, I need to try to anticipate problems. I need my time."

Mourinho, who has already led Chelsea to the League Cup title this season, did concede that he is not the most important man at the club.

"The manager is not the most important person in the club - of course not," he added. "I keep saying, the most important person in the club is first the supporters, secondly the owner, third the players, and then I come.

"But it is the manager that everyone looks at. The players are watching you, analysing you. They want to see your reaction, they want to see your stability."