• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari: My future will be decided after the World Cup

433583_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Jul 9, 2014 20:22:00

The World Cup hosts' hopes of winning the tournament on home soil ended with a 7-1 defeat and the 65-year-old says he will discuss his future after the third-place play-off

Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari insists he will wait until after the World Cup before deciding his future.

The World Cup hosts were humiliated 7-1 at the hands of Germany on Tuesday evening in Belo Horizonte, conceding five goals by half-time before Andre Schurrle struck twice to book their place in the final.

Brazil now face either Netherlands or Argentina in the third-place play-off on Saturday, and Scolari says he will discuss his future with the Brazilian Football Confederation after the tournament, as originally planned.

"After the World Cup we will make a presentation to the CBF, where we will talk about the good and the bad that we have done, and it will depend on the board."

The Selecao had been favourites to lift the World Cup for a sixth time after their Confederations Cup triumph a year earlier, and Scolari believes there were positives to take from his side's ultimately fruitless campaign.

"The tournament was not all bad," he continued. "We had a bad defeat. We have a deal with the CBF until the game on Saturday and after that, probably, we will have a conversation to sort some things out.

"With all the difficulty, we reached the semi-finals. We are a hard-working team, we win together and lose together.

"There is a group which will achieve good things in two or three years. It's a long-term job but it is already being done."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari is arrogant, repulsive and conceited - Neymar's agent

433440_heroa.jpg

Jul 9, 2014 19:45:00

The Brazil star's representative has launched a scathing attack on the Selecao boss following his side's 7-1 destruction at the hands of Germany on Tuesday

Neymar’s agent, Wagner Ribeiro, has launched a scathing attack on Luiz Felipe Scolari, brandishing the Brazil coach "repulsive and conceited."

The World Cup hosts were dumped out of the competition on Tuesday, suffering a humiliating 7-1 thrashing at the hands of Germany in Belo Horizonte – Brazil’s biggest defeat since a 6-0 loss to Uruguay in 1920.

And as the fall-out from what the Brazilian media described as the most shameful result in the country’s football history, Riberio took to Twitter to launch a six-point personal attack on Felipao with an ironic list of requirements to be Brazil coach.

"One – being Portugal coach and winning nothing," he tweeted.

"Two – going to Chelsea and being sacked the following day.

"Three – going to coach in Uzbekistan. Four – returning to Brazil, taking over a big team [Palmeiras] and getting them relegated to the second division.

"Five – leaving the club 56 days before the end of the Brasileirao [season] to 'escape' the relegation.

"Six – being an old jerk, arrogant, repulsive, conceited and ridiculous," he finished in brutal fashion.

Scolari has faced heavy criticism for Brazil’s World Cup exit and is expected to leave his role at the end of tournament.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: I would have thrown Krul on again

432807_heroa.jpg

Jul 10, 2014 01:19:00

The incoming Manchester United boss revealed he would have turned to the Newcastle goalkeeper again if he had a substitution left prior to the penalty shoot-out against Argentina

By Kris Voakes at Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal admitted he would have replaced goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen with Tim Krul again prior to the penalty shoot-out against Argentina if he had not already made three substitutions.

Krul came off the bench in the final minute of extra-time in the quarter-final spot-kick victory over Costa Rica and promptly made two saves as Oranje squeezed through.

But Van Gaal had already made his full allocation of changes in the 120 minutes and Cillessen was unable to replicate Krul’s heroics as Argentina advanced to a final meeting with Germany 4-2 on penalties after a dire game had finished goalless after extra-time.

"If I could have substituted Jasper I would have done, but I’d already used three substitutes so couldn’t do that," Van Gaal said.

"I subbed [Daryl] Janmaat for [Bruno Martins] Indi because he had a yellow card already and was often too late and wasn’t executing well.

"I didn’t want to take a risk on Nigel De Jong being injured, and he was the free man in midfield and [Jordy] Clasie can play going forward better than Nigel. I subbed [Robin] van Persie because he was exhausted."

It may have been a disappointing exit for Netherlands but they exceeded expectations in reaching the last four and Van Gaal could not hide his pride in what they had achieved in Brazil.

"We had a fantastic tournament, as the Brazilian journalists have expressed," he said. "No one expected us to make it through the group, and after that we defeated Mexico, who are not easy to beat. Argentina are a top country with top players. Penalties are a matter of luck.

"It’s the most terrible scenario to lose on penalties. If anything, we were the better team, at least equal."

Next up for the Dutch is a trip to Brasilia on Saturday for the third-fourth play-off and a meeting with the host nation who are still reeling from their 7-1 battering by Germany.

It is a fixture Van Gaal sees little value in, adding: "I think this should never be played. I’ve said it for 10 years. But we will still play and we have one less day to prepare, which is not fair.

"The worst thing though is that you can lose twice in a row after a tournament in which you have done marvellously well.

"You go home as a loser having lost twice, which is not right. But I’ve said this for 10-15 years. You shouldn’t have players play a match for third and fourth because there is only one award and that is for the champion."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi dedicates win to journalist

433982_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jul 10, 2014 08:40:00

Argentina star said victory over the Netherlands was the perfect way to pay his respects to broadcaster who died in a car accident in Sao Paulo on Wednesday

Lionel Messi dedicated Argentina's World Cup semi-final victory over Netherlands to an Argentine journalist who was killed in a road traffic accident on the morning of the game.

Jorge 'Topo' Lopez - who was covering the tournament for La Red Radio - died when a stolen vehicle involved in a police chase collided into the taxi he was travelling back to his hotel in.

The 38-year-old previously worked in Barcelona for Sport newspaper, where he became one of Messi's favourite journalists, and the 27-year-old paid tribute to him after the penalty shoot-out victory sealed a place in the final.

The Barcelona star wrote on Facebook: "I'm sending a big, big hug to the whole of Argentina and a souvenir to Jorge 'Topo' Lopez, this victory is especially also for you, my friend. A big hug to the family and lots of encouragement."

A dull semi-final saw the game locked at 0-0 at the end of extra-time, with Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero emerging as the hero after saving penalties from Ron Vlaar and Wesley Sneijder.

Argentina will face Germany in the final on Sunday, and Messi struggled to contain his emotions after the game.

"I've had to do doping tests so I can't be in the locker room," he added.

"I feel proud to be part of this squad. What a phenomenon we are involved in, let's enjoy, we have one more step."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero: Germany have respect for Argentina

433864_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Jul 10, 2014 01:31:00

Kun was elated with his team's penalty shootout semi-final victory over the Netherlands, as was Javier Mascherano who said they now have a once in a lifetime opportunity

Argentina forward Kun Aguero says is already looking forward to meeting Germany in the World Cup final at the Maracana on Saturday, insisting Joachim Low’s side respect them.

The Manchester City striker missed his side’s victories over Switzerland and Belgium after limping out of their final group game against Nigeria with a muscle injury.

But Aguero returned as a late second-half substitute on Wednesday as Argentina beat Netherlands 4-2 on penalties to book a place this weekend’s showdown with Germany and the 26-year-old is ready to put his injury woes behind him for what he describes as a 'dream' World Cup final.

"The truth is incredible. I am so happy, we cannot believe it," he said.

"I suffered from a mini tear, but I have done everything possible to recover. Luckily we are in the final.

"Germany are always a tough team at the World Cup. But we will continue to play our game. Argentina is Argentina. Germany also have a bit of respect for us."

Javier Mascherano also spoke of his pride at making it to the final, labelling his team’s achievement "brilliant", insisting Sunday’s showdown is something they will likely never experience again.

"We played a brilliant game, without any fear of anything," said the Barcelona man.

"We came into the game of our lives. And now we will enjoy it because this is a once line a lifetime opportunity.

"Hopefully we will be crowned champions on Sunday but, regardless of the outcome, I have no words to express how proud I am… the goal was to be in the final."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hummels in race to make World Cup final

433839_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Jul 10, 2014 01:48:00

The Dortmund defender is suffering from a minor knee problem and may miss Germany's date in the showpiece final at the Maracana on Sunday

Germany defender Mats Hummels faces a race against time to be fit for the World Cup final clash with Argentina after suffering a knee injury.

The centre-back only played 45 minutes on Tuesday as Germany booked their place in the final with a stunning 7-1 victory over hosts Brazil, with the Dortmund man confirming after the match that the problem had been bothering him for a few days.

Coach Joachim Low opted to withdraw him at the break with Germany 5-0 ahead and cruising into Sunday's final, however, team manager Oliver Bierhoff still expects the defender to be involved and insisted Low had only substituted the 25-year-old as a precaution.

"Everyone's okay except for Mats Hummels and he's getting further treatment," Bierhoff told German TV station ARD.

"It's a precautionary measure. We assume he'll be able to play in the final."

Hummels revealed he had been nursing the problem prior to the semi-final.

"I've had problems with it for a few days," he said. "But for the first time it didn't go away after warm-ups. In the match it got worse and worse.

"I made the decision that it's perhaps better to take myself out so that I wouldn't break anything.

"We'll have to see exactly what it is. It's not something tiny but fortunately I don't think it's anything that would endanger Sunday."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maradona: Germany not mission impossible for Argentina

433960_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jul 10, 2014 15:48:00

The Albiceleste icon is hopeful the South Americans can win their third World Cup at the expense of Joachim Low's men and hailed the performance of Javier Mascherano

Diego Maradona is confident that Argentina have what it take to beat Germany in Sunday's World Cup final at the Maracana.

Joachim Low's men hugely impressed in the semi-finals with a 7-1 win over hosts Brazil, while Argentina needed penalties to see off Netherlands in their final-four encounter.

Nevertheless, Maradona believes the semi-final results could prove to be beneficial for Alejandro Sabella's side as he thinks Germany could get complacent.

"The match against Germany will not be a mission impossible. It is not impossible to beat them," Maradona said during his show on Telesur.

"The German egos will be enlarged by their 7-1 win over Brazil. Their overconfidence could be a good thing for Argentina."

The Argentina icon then went on to praise Javier Mascherano following his sublime performance against Holland on Wednesday - a showing he believes was vital given that Lionel Messi seemed "a bit tired".

"Argentina against Netherlands were Mascherano and 10 more players. He was like a pitbull out there on the pitch," Maradona added.

"Messi was not at the level we have come to expect from him against Holland. I think that he felt a bit tired."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We hope Brazilians will support Germany - Flick

170229_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jul 10, 2014 21:41:00

The Mannschaft assistant coach is optimistic that locals will back his side's attempt to win a fourth World Cup, despite their 7-1 thrashing of the Selecao in the semi-finals

Hansi Flick is hopeful that Brazilians will support Germany in Sunday's World Cup final against Argentina, despite the 7-1 defeat they inflicted on the host nation.

Die Nationalelf produced an exceptional result in their semi-final against Brazil, with Toni Kroos and Andre Schurrle scoring twice as Thomas Muller, Miroslav Klose and Sami Khedira also added to an astonishing scoreline.
However, despite dealing out such a humiliating defeat on the hosts, Flick wants local support in Rio de Janeiro as Germany chase a first World Cup crown since 1990, against the Selecao's bitter rivals Argentina.

"We're hoping for the support of the Brazilians," the 49-year-old told reporters.

"The reaction we have got from them since the game has been amazing. We're looking forward to the game against another South American team. I think the players are really fired up for it.

"Everyone has been able to train, whether on the bikes recovering or working on the pitch."
Miroslav Klose, who was part of the Germany team that lost the 2002 final to Brazil, also spoke of Sunday's clash, admitting he is desperate to lift the trophy.

"I know how bad it feels to lose a final," the 36-year-old Lazio striker said.

"We enjoyed the game against Brazil, but since the other semi-final our full concentration has been on the game against Argentina.

"The team spirit is fantastic, everyone has done very well in training, giving everything.

"I am full of confidence that we have a fantastic chance of winning."

Klose, who became the all-time leading World Cup goalscorer during the victory over Brazil, backed team-mate Thomas Muller - one goal short of current leader James Rodriguez - to win the Golden Boot for a second successive tournament.

“It would be great for Thomas to get the Golden Boot," he continued.

"But, like he said, he’s already got one."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar: Two centimetres lower and I could have been wheelchair-bound

434153_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jul 10, 2014 23:46:00

The Brazil striker has revealed that he was fortunate to escape permanent disability after suffering a fractured vertebra in his side's 2-1 quarter-final defeat to Colombia

Brazil star Neymar has spoken about the potential seriousness of his spinal injury, declaring that Juan Zuniga's challenge could have confined him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

The striker was kneed in the back by the Colombian during the World Cup hosts' 2-1 victory over Los Cafeteros in their quarter-final on July 4 and was immediately ruled out of the remainder of the tournament.

Though he is now expected to make a full and swift recovery, the forward has talked about the frightening consequences that could have come from the incident, describing how he might never have been able to walk again.

"Two centimetres lower and I could be in a wheelchair today," the Brazilian told a press conference as he struggled to hold back tears.

"I bear no grudge," he said, adding that Zuniga had rung him to apologise.

Neymar scored nine goals in 26 La Liga games for Barcelona last season as his debut campaign ended without a trophy.

The former Santos man had, however, been in contention for the World Cup golden boot after scoring four times before suffering his injury.

Brazil face Netherlands in Saturday's third-place play off in Brasilia, hoping to move on from their humbling 7-1 semi-final defeat to Germany.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Colombia offer Zuniga protection after death threats

433211_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jul 10, 2014 22:00:00

The Colombian Football Federation have said they will provide security measures for the defender in response to threats he received after injuring Brazil striker Neymar

Colombia's football federation have pledged to protect Juan Zuniga after he was subjected to a fierce backlash from Brazil fans for injuring Neymar.

The Napoli full-back fractured one of the Selecao star's vertebra during his side's 2-1 loss to the tournament hosts during their quarter-final on July 4 in Fortaleza.

Zuniga avoided further punishment, but his knee into Neymar's back has been heavily criticised and was labelled a "coward's tackle" by Brazil captain Thiago Silva.

Zuniga said it was a "normal" challenge and the Federacion Colombiana de Futbol (FCF) has now defended the 28-year-old.

"FCF rejects all threats and insults against the player Juan Camilo Zuniga and his family," the national body said in a statement on Wednesday.

"It [FCF] will continue taking all actions with the appropriate security and government organisations to give the necessary guarantees to the player, for both his time in Colombia and his permanent residency in Italy."

Napoli have also come out in support of Zuniga, who faced no sanction from Fifa as the referee had already ruled on the incident.

Brazil will face the Netherlands in the third-place play-off after the hosts were thrashed 7-1 by Germany in the semi-finals on Tuesday.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore gambling addiction ad gets lampooned on Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon

434001_heroa.jpg

NCPG Youtube Screengrab

Jul 10, 2014 15:40:00

After Singaporeans had their turn joking about the poorly conceived ad campaign, the late night talk show host tore into it and even aired his own modified version of the spot
By Bhas Kunju

The National Council for Problem Gambling's (NCPG) ad campaign for the 2014 World Cup, which features a young boy who dejectedly confesses to his father betting his life savings on Germany to win, has already been lampooned by many local netizens but it has now made its way to the USA as well.

The 30-second ad features a group of young boys talking about who the eventual World Cup winner will be.

The spot ends with a boy named Andy who sullenly tells his friends he was forcibly rooting for Germany as a result of his dad's implied gambling addiction.

Late Night Talk Show host Jimmy Fallon tore into the 30-second ad on his show on Wednesday night.

Fallon, played the ad during his opening monologue drawing huge laughter from his studio audience as the clip rolled to an end.

"Cheer up kid, your dad bet on Germany!" Fallon joked. "He's so rich you dont even need to go to college anymore!"

"Also, how much could be in the kid's savings, he's 8-years-old!" he added before jokingly claiming the amount was $17.25.

The 39-year-old talkshow host then introduced a 'new version of the commercial', which featured an edited ending with a smiling Andy acknowledging his new windfall. The ad's end credits which featured the NCPG tagline 'Kick The Habit. Stop Problem Gambling' was modified to read, 'Keep The Habit. Gamble.'

The original NCPG gambling ad has been a permanent fixture on all local media since the start of the World Cup and aired prominently during broadcast of matches.

Germany's 7-1 routing of Brazil in the semi-finals on Wednesday morning drew immediate response from creative fans who turned the ad's short-sightedness into memes which spread quickly.

Goal Singapore approached NCPG for comments on the commercial early last week but have yet to receive a reply.

The full ad:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oRValgHDvxE?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DkiryxVxoj4?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Germany 7 Brazil 1 - Singapore Anti Gambling Ad NEW ENDING

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: I will ask Netherlands players for a leaving present

433919_heroa.jpg

Jul 11, 2014 18:19:00

The Oranje coach wants his side to return from the World Cup undefeated as they prepare for Saturday's third-place play-off against hosts Brazil in Brasilia

By Greg Stobart in Brazil

Louis Van Gaal will ask his players to give him a leaving present on Saturday by becoming the first Netherlands side to return undefeated from a World Cup.

The Holland coach will step down to take over at Manchester United following the third-place play-off against hosts Brazil in Brasilia.

The Oranje lost to Argentina on penalties in their semi-final clash on Wednesday – but Van Gaal is eager to ensure that his team return from the World Cup able to boast that they were only beaten in a penalty shootout.

“It’s going to be part of my speech that it will be my last match and I hope the players want to give me a present in the form of a victory, so that we remain undefeated,” Van Gaal said in his pre-match press conference.

“Slowly but surely we are realising that we have to go for it. A Dutch team has never returned home unbeaten and that is now our aim.

“There is still something for us to do. We can still write history because the Netherlands lost matches in 1974 and 1978.”

Van Gaal was critical of the third-place match after the Argentina match and admits the Netherlands are still recovering from the blow of failing to reach a second World Cup final in a row.

"It was very, very sad and a dream has been broken. It’s not going to come back because it was all about being number one," Van Gaal added.

"Everything is disappointing. I’m disappointed because we came here with only one objective and we had the confidence that we could achieve it."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil won't lose like that again in 100 years - Thiago Silva

434466_heroa.jpg

Jul 12, 2014 01:09:00

The Selecao's skipper is set to return to the side after suspension and says the hosts are keen to beat Netherlands after defeat to the Dutch at the 2010 World Cup

Brazil captain Thiago Silva says his side's shock 7-1 loss at home to Germany on Tuesday is something that won't be repeated in the next 100 years.

The Paris Saint-Germain defender missed the semi-final match in Belo Horizonte through suspension, but says he feels partly responsible as captain of the Selecao and believes six minutes of madness - in which Germany scored four times - were to blame for the team's worst-ever defeat.

"I wasn't on the pitch, but I'm part of this team - I'm the captain," he said on Friday ahead of his side's third-place playoff against Netherlands. "It's something that won't happen again in the next 100 years. It was six minutes of darkness which led to a tragic ending for us."

Thiago Silva appeared alongside coach Luiz Felipe Scolari in Brasilia on Friday as Brazil prepare to restore some pride against Netherlands on Saturday in a game in which he is set to start.

"We have the same motivation as always," he said. "We have to turn the page. Life goes on. We lost to Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup, so I wouldn't like to finish like that again."

The former AC Milan defender was also asked about Scolari's future, but said the players are behind their coach.

"This is not the time to crucify him," he said. "We are together. When the team gets it wrong, we all get it wrong."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari: We must honour the Brazil shirt against Netherlands

433583_heroa.jpg

Jul 11, 2014 21:52:00

The Selecao boss refused to look back after a record-breaking defeat to Germany and pledged to restore some pride in the third-place playoff on Saturday

Luiz Felipe Scolari has called on Brazil to forget their semi-final capitulation as they head into the World Cup third-place playoff.

The tournament hosts' dreams of a final appearance in front of their passionate supporters disappeared in 29 nightmare minutes in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday, as a rampant Germany raced into a 5-0 lead.

Brazil eventually succumbed to a humiliating 7-1 defeat, leaving the nation stunned at the manner of their team's exit.

Scolari's side now face Netherlands in Brasilia on Saturday and the coach views the game as an opportunity for Brazil to put the past behind them.

"I know my career will be marked by this defeat," said Scolari to reporters.

"But we have an obligation to move on and think about the next goal, which in this case is the match for third place on Saturday in Brasilia.

"We made the semi-finals, the top four teams in the world, and there were a lot of good teams that were knocked out before us.

"I know it's a much smaller dream that we all wanted, but we have to honour the shirt of the national team."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't judge me on 7-1 defeat - Scolari

434469_heroa.jpg

By Keeghann Sinanan
Jul 12, 2014 07:51:00

The Selecao trainer accepted that his future was up in the air, but insisted that his employers should looks past the Germany defeat when judging his tenure

Luiz Felipe Scolari thinks that he still has a lot to offer Brazil despite their 7-1 capitulation to Germany in the World Cup semi-finals.

Dubbed the ‘Mineirazo’ by local media, the heavy defeat denied Brazil a chance to capture a sixth World Cup crown on home soil, drawing parallels with the infamous ‘Maracanazo’ final of the 1950 tournament.

Scolari admitted that his future is far from certain, but was quick to point out the positives he had achieved in his time as Brazil boss, including winning World Cup 2002 and the 2013 Confederations Cup.

"After this [the World Cup] is over, the chairman Marco Polo Del Nero and [the Brazilian Football Confederation] will talk and we'll see what happens,” he said to reporters.

"I don't see my work as negative. Except for that one bit that was catastrophic, the 7-1. If we had lost 1-0 it wouldn't have been catastrophic, but we still wouldn't be at the final.

“What I know is that in a year and a half we had many good things. I can't see only one result that will change a lot if my job was good.

"Our image was scratched because of the result, that was awful. We had changes in the second half that could've helped make the defeat less terrible. But we lost, they were superior.

“I have to be ashamed of it, but we need to see the good side. It's something that's going to be marked on all of us, but so is the Confederations Cup title."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Guardiola or Mourinho should replace Scolari'

361647_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jul 12, 2014 10:50:00

Brazil appear likely to appoint a new coach after their horror World Cup semi-final exit at the hands of Germany, with two high profile names being tipped to take charge

Sao Paulo coach Muricy Ramalho has backed Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourihno as potential candidates to replace Luiz Felipe Scolari as Brazil boss.

The future of the current national team boss remains in doubt following the Selecao's humiliating 7-1 defeat against Germany in the World Cup semi-finals in Belo Horizonte last Tuesday.

Ahead of Brazil's third-place play off against the Netherlands, Ramalho, who himself has been touted as a possible replacement for Scolari by Zico, has picked several famous names he feels would be suitable for the job.

"Football is in the here and now," the 58-year-old told ESPN Brasil.

"Moments come and I think now is the turn of [former Corinthians boss] Tite. He has been a winner of titles. He must be on the list for selection.

"If not a Brazilian, it has to be the best. Guardiola would be my preference. Or Mourinho. We have to have a top boss, who has those trademarks. A good operator.

"Between the two, I'd say Guardiola. But it will be the CBF [Brazilian Football Confederation] that decides. This is my opinion and I'm giving it."
Ramalho had the opportunity to become Brazil boss in 2010 but ended up staying with Fluminense and claims he has no regrets or designs on making a move for the job again.

"I'm not an opportunist," he said.

"I'm sad as everyone is. I have my way of thinking in terms of football convictions. I know this Brazilian team is here and there is glamour and vanity taking office.

"I guess I'm not keen enough on that. I insisted on a few things and felt it would not work. I refused and I do not regret it. That was back then."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Muller: Argentina will be out for revenge

433580_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jul 12, 2014 10:23:00

The Germany striker is wary their World Cup final opponents will be looking to make amends for being knocked out by his side in 2006 and 2010

Thomas Muller has warned Germany that Argentina will be desperate to atone for back-to-back quarter-final defeats against his side by winning on Sunday.

Die Mannschaft secured a 4-0 victory over the South Americans in the last eight of the 2010 South Africa World Cup after attaining a 4-2 win on penalties over them at the same stage in the 2006 tournament in Germany.

Muller stressed that Argentina would be especially keen to avoid a third failure in as many World Cups against his team, adding that all Germany's previous wins would quickly be forgotten if they finished as runners up on Sunday.

"That makes the task more difficult," the 24-year-old told the Times of India when questioned on Germany's recent successes against la Albiceleste.

"They will be more eager to make it count in the most important match of the World Cup. And if they can win it, nobody will remember what we did in the previous two tournaments.

"In fact, the final is such a match where if you lose, people will not remember what we did in the previous match, too! It's always a nothing-but-win match and, again, we are preparing ourselves in the best way possible.

"Germany did not reach the final of a World Cup since 2002. Twelve years is quite long for Germany, not to be in another final. We reached the semi-finals of the last two editions but were eliminated there.

"So, we all were quite anxious to reach the summit this time. And we are glad we did it."

Muller is also looking to achieve a personal milestone and add to the Golden Boot he won in South Africa by becoming the top scorer in Brazil, currently sitting one goal behind James Rodriguez's tally of six.

"It is always satisfying to score goals and contribute to the team's cause," the Bayern Munich forward said.

"At the same time, it is not only about scoring goals, it's all about winning for the nation.

"Yes, it gives me immense pleasure whenever I score, especially in the World Cup. If anybody would have said that I would score five and receive the Golden Boot in South Africa, I would not have believed it."

Argentina and Germany face each other in the World Cup final at the Maracana on Sunday, the third time they have met at this stage of the competition.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Maria not ruled out of World Cup final yet - agent

432350_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Jul 11, 2014 19:12:00

The Real Madrid star remains a doubt for Sunday's showdown with Germany at the Maracana, but could still make a surprise return

Argentina midfielder Angel Di Maria is still in with a chance of being fit for Sunday's World Cup final against Germany, according his agent.

The Real Madrid winger, who scored the extra-time winner in a 1-0 victory over Switzerland in the second round, limped out of his country's quarter-final against Belgium with a thigh complaint.

Di Maria subsequently missed Wednesday's semi-final, with Enzo Perez starting in his place, and remains a doubt for the clash with Germany at the Maracana.

"Angel is at a stage of recovery and there cannot be a time frame put on it," his agent, Eugenio Lopez, told radio station FM Delta.

"He was subjected to treatment with stem cells to accelerate recovery.

"Angel wants to play, no matter what, and he will make every effort to get there.

"Whether Angel will play will depend on the decision taken by [coach Alejandro] Sabella."

Argentina booked their first World Cup final in 24 years with a penalty-shootout victory over Netherlands on Wednesday.