• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Willian plays down injury concerns ahead of Germany clash

431663_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jul 7, 2014 8:15:00 AM

The Chelsea winger confirmed that a knock he sustained during training is not serious, while Fifa revealed the Selecao have lodged an appeal against Thiago Silva's suspension

Brazil midfielder Willian has played down fears that he could miss his team’s World Cup semi-final clash against Germany through injury.

The Chelsea winger took a knock in training on Saturday, which resulted in questions being asked over the 25-year-old’s availability for the crucial match in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday.

With the Selecao’s talisman, Neymar, ruled out of the rest of the competition after suffering a fractured vertebra in Brazil’s quarter-final win over Colombia last week, Willian is one of the players who could replace the Barcelona forward against Germany.

But despite the fears over his fitness, Willian has now revealed that his injury is not serious and he is training as normal.

"I am feeling great,” he said.

“I was hurt on my left side in training yesterday (Saturday) and it bothers me a bit but it is nothing significant and it won't stop me training today.”

Brazil midfielder Luiz Gustavo is set to return against Germany following his suspension in the win over Colombia, while Fifa have confirmed they have received an appeal from the Selecao against Thiago Silva’s one-match ban.

The Brazil captain was ruled out of his team’s semi-final game after picking up his second yellow card of the competition on Friday, but the governing body will now debate whether or not the suspension should be overruled.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi: Semi-finals were Argentina's 'first goal'

432360_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Jul 6, 2014 2:25:00 PM

Alejandro Sabella's side reached the last four with victory over Belgium on Saturday, but the 27-year-old is not done just yet

Argentina skipper Lionel Messi says that his side's first objective at the World Cup was to reach the semi-finals but now they are keen for more.

The 27-year-old has been one of the stars of the tournament, scoring four goals as Alejandro Sabella's side have claimed wins in all five of their games so far.

They face Netherlands in the last four on Wednesday and the Barcelona forward wants his side's campaign to keep going.

"We've reached our first goal, to be among the final four," he told reporters.

"Now we want more. We enjoyed what we experienced on Sunday but let's think about what's coming. We are prepared.

"We ran more than ever. We didn't create as much as other times, we didn't do as much as we did at other times.

"I played a different game and I had to run more than usual. When I came to the ball, I was a little tired but we are playing as a team."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Breitner calls for Ozil axe: 'He's been going for a walk'

432183_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Jul 6, 2014 4:02:00 PM

The former Germany full-back believes the Arsenal star has taken a lax attitude throughout the World Cup and should be dropped for the remainder of the tournament

Germany legend Paul Breitner has called upon Joachim Low to be bold and drop Mesut Ozil from his starting XI for the rest of the World Cup.

The Arsenal playmaker has started all of his side's games so far, scoring the deciding goal in the last-16 win over Algeria, but has been criticised for his performances.

Breitner believes the key to victory in the tournament is for every player to work hard and feels Ozil is yet to pull his weight.

"If [Low] is bold, he'll say: 'I will not play with only 10 people' and drop Mesut Ozil," he told TZ.

"That would be the next step for world titles and above all a big step for the good of the team. Nine men are torturing themselves for 90 minutes and he's going for a walk.

"That's not what you do at a World Cup."

Breitner also believes that the decision to deploy Philipp Lahm at full-back - with Jerome Boateng taking Per Mertesacker's play at the heart of defence - was the right one.

"He has seen what millions of fans have also seen - namely that we cannot continue with the defence from the previous games.

"We needed a solution and Philipp is not only world class in midfield, but also in defence. Jogi Low corrected his error of judgement."

Germany set up an enticing semi-final tie with Brazil by beating France in the last eight on Friday.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Stopping Messi? What about Robben?' - Kluivert

432561_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Jul 6, 2014 4:30:00 PM

The Netherlands assistant coach believes his side's semi-final with Argentina will be a fantastic match, with both teams possessing stars who can decide a match

Patrick Kluivert believes that Arjen Robben can do as much damage to Argentina as Lionel Messi can to his own Netherlands team.

The Bayern Munich winger has been one of the stars of the tournament, along with the Barcelona forward, and the two will meet in Wedensday's semi-final.

Kluivert, part of Louis van Gaal's coaching team, believes the last-four encounter will be evenly matched as both teams have star quality in their ranks.

"The quality of Argentina is awesome. It will be very hard for us and for them," he told AS.

"Argentina have major individual players. Both teams have players who can decide a game. Stopping Messi? How do Argentina stop Robben?"

Kluivert is also prepared for some fatigue to creep into his players after they were made to beat Costa Rica in the quarter-finals via a penalty shoot-out, but feels his players will be up to the task.

"There will be tiredness for sure, but the same goes for Argentina. We have time to get our fitness. We won't be too tired because we have four days to rest and four days is a lot."

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez bite referee will officiate Brazil v Germany

432803_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jul 7, 2014 9:39:00 AM

Fifa have confirmed that Mexico’s Marco Rodriguez will oversee the semi-final clash on Tuesday with Mark Geiger of the US acting as fourth official

The referee who failed to notice Luis Suarez bite Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup has been chosen to officiate Brazil’s semi-final clash against Germany on Tuesday.

Fifa have confirmed that Mexico’s Marco Rodriguez will referee the match in Belo Horizonte, which will be his first knock-out stage game at the tournament.

Rodriguez has so far been in charge of two matches in Brazil - including Uruguay’s narrow 1-0 group-stage win over Italy in Natal, which saw Oscar Tabarez’s men qualify for the last 16.

The victory was overshadowed by Uruguay star Suarez biting Italian defender Chiellini in the shoulder, which after going unseen and unpunished, resulted in Fifa handing the Liverpool striker a nine-match international ban and a four-month ban from all “football-related activity".

Earlier on in the game, Rodriguez had sent off Italy's Claudio Marchisio for a serious foul.

The governing body also confirmed that USA’s Mark Geiger – who was the fourth official for Uruguay’s win over Italy – will reprise the role for Brazil’s semi-final showdown against Germany.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fifa threatens sanctions over Nigeria FA row

432227_heroa.jpg

Jul 6, 2014 9:19:00 PM

The football governing body has given the African nation until Tuesday to reinstate the NFF board, after it was dismissed for alleged financial offences

Fifa has given the Nigerian government until Tuesday to reinstate the sacked Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) board, or it says it will impose sanctions on the country.

The NFF, led by Aminu Maigari, was sacked by a Nigerian court on Saturday after it was found guilty of misappropriating funds, manipulating its own regulations and handling the Super Eagles' bonus row in Brazil in an unacceptable way. Maigari has since been detained by the Nigerian authorities.

After the hearing, a statement - signed by NFF vice president Obinna Ogba - was released which confirmed the drastic actions and alleged that the previous administration had brought embarrassment to the nation.

"The extraordinary congress unanimously endorsed the dissolution of the Aminu Maigari-led NFF executive committee, and immediate termination of the employment of all management staff," the statement read.

"The congress also endorsed the dissolution of the boards of the Nigeria National League, Nigeria Women League ans the Nigeria Nationwide League.

"Congress bemoaned the unfortunate incident of the international embarrassment suffered by the Nigeria nation at the 2014 Fifa World Cup, by failure of the Aminu Maigari-led NFF to fully and firmly resolve issues of finance with the Super Eagles ahead of the championship.

"Congress accused the Maigari administration of abuse of NFF statues in its constitution of the NFF electoral committee, by altering the list of persons approved by the congress at the 2013 general assembly."

427114_heroa.jpg

Super Eagles? | Nigeria reached the World Cup last 16 but there were bonus protests behind the scenes

Fifa, however, has criticised the move, claiming it goes against the organisation's principle of country's football associations being independent bodies and expressing concern over the outside interference.

"Fifa has sent a letter to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) expressing its great concern over different actions taken by Nigerian public authorities that affect the NFF," its statement read.

"Fifa has learnt from various sources that the NFF has been served with court processes and that consequently an order restraining the President of the NFF, his executive committee members and the NFF congress from running the affairs of Nigerian football has been granted by a High Court of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

"Fifa has also taken note of the detention of NFF President Aminu Maigari, carried out by representatives of the department of the State Security Service. Furthermore, Fifa is also aware that the Minister of Sport has appointed an assistant director to take charge of the NFF.

"Fifa has reminded the NFF that all Fifa member associations have to manage their affairs independently and without influence of any third parties.

"The NFF has been asked to relay Fifa’s position to the relevant authorities and inform them that if the aforementioned NFF officials are not fully reinstated by Tuesday 8 July 2014 the case will be referred to the appropriate Fifa bodies for sanctions, including the potential suspension of the NFF.

"Fifa will not recognize any person or organ not elected in compliance with the NFF statutes... and therefore it will not consider the appointment made by the minister of sports. An elective congress has been duly convened by the NFF for 26 August 2014 and only decisions and persons elected then will be considered legitimate," Fifa concluded.

However, Nigeria's sports minister Tammy Danagogo has defended the government's actions.

"We will do our best to make Fifa know that there has been no government interference. We have no such intention," he said.

"And I can assure you that we will not interfere beyond doing what is legally required by Fifa rules, and that we will ensure that there is a peaceful atmosphere.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

180 minutes: All it takes for Messi to become Maradona II

July 6, 2014 Fabian Biastoch, germany

102607234.jpg

His goals have come at the right time for Argentina; his influence is never too far from the forefront of anything his country does in Brazil. Yet for many, Lionel Messi has achieved nothing yet.

However, over just three hours in the space of a few days, Messi could put himself on the same pedestal as Diego Maradona; legend, hero, World Cup winner.

That final category is all that now stands between Argentina’s footballing genius of the 21st century, and their greatest ever exponent of the previous Millennium.

Some would, and always will say, that Maradona was better, not in the skill stakes, but in what he contributed to the teams he played for.

Would Napoli have won Serie A without Maradona? No.

Would Barca have won La Liga minus Messi? Possibly.

And the same question will always be asked at international level, until Messi matches his hero by taking the World Cup back to Argentina.

In 1986, Maradona was Argentina’s inspiration and leader, a role Messi is currently fulfilling in Brazil. But nearly 30 years ago, Maradona delivered; indeed, he hand delivered one of the goals, to beat England in the quarter-final (while also netting one of the best World Cup goals ever), then added another double against Belgium in the semi-finals.

Messi didn’t manage to score in his country’s quarter-final tie against the Belgians on Saturday, having previously bagged four in four in this tournament.

That takes his overall tally at international level to 42 goals in 91 appearances, a better return for the same number of caps than Maradona, who managed 34. There are also similarities in what they’ve contributed to the cause at various World Cup tournaments. Maradona has 8 goals in 19 appearances; Messi has 5 goals in 13 games.

But, in this game of World Cup Top Trumps one fact beats all else; Maradona has a winners medal (and a runners up badge from 1990 as well), while Messi thus far has nothing.

Messi could change all of that with two winning performances; against Holland in midweek, and against either Germany or Brazil next Sunday.

Or, Lionel Messi may have to live for the next four years with the tag as the best players never to win the World Cup – or even the best Argentinian never to win it for a lifetime …

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zuniga escapes punishment for Neymar foul as Thiago Silva appeal rejected

432675_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jul 7, 2014 5:58:00 PM

There had been calls for the defender to be suspended for fracturing a verterbra in the forward's back but it has been confirmed that no retrospective action can be taken

Juan Camilo Zuniga has escaped punishment for his World Cup-ending challenge on Neymar during Colombia's World quarter-final loss to Brazil - but Thiago Silva's appeal against the yellow card he incurred in the same game has been rejected.

Fifa's disciplinary committee were called upon to investigate the incident that left Neymar with a fractured vertebra, while the Selecao also attempted to overturn the booking that has ruled team-mate Thiago Silva out of the last-four meeting with Germany in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday night.

However, it was confirmed on the eve of the semi-final that Zuniga will not face any sanction.

“In this specific case, no retrospective action can be taken by the Fifa Disciplinary Committee since the incident involving the Colombian player Juan Camilo Zuniga Mosquera did not escape the match officials’ attention," a statement read.

“First and foremost, though, the chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee wishes to state that he deeply regrets the incident and the serious consequences on Neymar's health.

“Finally, as a general remark, Fifa and the Fifa Disciplinary Committee regret any incidents occurring on the pitch that in particular have a negative impact on the health of players.

“We wish Neymar a prompt and complete recovery as we wish the same for all players who have sadly been ruled out of the World Cup through injury.”

Addressing the decision to uphold the yellow card issued to Thiago Silva for preventing Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina from clearing the ball upfield.

“With regard to CBF’s request for the cancellation of the caution shown to the player Thiago Emiliano da Silva during the match played against Colombia, the chairman came to the conclusion that the FIFA Disciplinary Committee cannot consider the matter given the fact that there is no legal basis entitling it to grant such request," the statement concluded.

Dodomeki

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Halilhodzic hits out at media after quitting Algeria post

427523_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jul 7, 2014 2:48:00 PM

The Bosnian made history by leading the north African nation into the last 16 of the World Cup but says his work was "stigmatised" in some sections of the press

Vahid Halilhodzic has lashed out at unspecified members of of Algeria's media after resigning as national team coach, saying he will "never forgive or forget" the treatment he received at the hands of a small group of journalists.

The Bosnian made history by leading a country that had never before survived the group stages into the last 16 of this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Halilhodzic has nonetheless decided to stand down, explaining that it had been a difficult decision to do so, while at the same time taking a parting shot at the press.

“I am proud of my record after serving out my contract with the FAF,” the Bosnian stated. "Having lived for three years in Algeria, my family obligations and the attraction of new sporting challenges weighed heavily on my decision.

“I want to thank, first of all, his excellency president Abdelaziz Bouteflika, whose warm words profoundly touched me. I also want to thank prime minister Abdelmalek Sellal for his encouragement and kind wishes, and the president of the FAF, Mohamed Raouraoua, with whom we have worked for three years to realise our objectives and who put at my disposal a squad with all the necessary means to achieve this difficult mission.

“I wish to pay tribute to the players and the technical, medical and administrative staff who gave me every assistance throughout this mission.

“The wonderful Algerian public wished me well since the day I first arrived and have remained loyal to me. I will always keep the fond memory of the extraordinary welcome they gave us on our return from the World Cup.

“The only sour note, which I want to confront, is the behaviour of certain - though thankfully not all - members of the press, who never ceased to stigmatise not only my work but also me and my family.

“I will never forget or forgive that.”

Halilhodzic has been linked with managerial position at Turkish Super Lig club Trabzonspor.

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cruyff praises ‘wonderful’ Kroos

432257_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jul 7, 2014 9:08:00 PM

The Dutch legend is impressed with Germany’s World Cup performance so far, and particularly, the form of the Bayern Munich midfielder

Johan Cruyff has praised Germany midfielder Toni Kroos for his performances at the World Cup, commending him for his "nearly perfect" passing and his vision.

Kroos has played in all five of Germany’s matches on their run to the semi-finals, and contributed two assists in Die Mannschaft’s opening Group G victory over Portugal before setting up Mats Hummels for the only goal of their quarter-final against France.

And Cruyff hailed Joachim Low's side ahead of their semi-final with Brazil, but singled out the 24-year-old for his excellent displays.

"Kroos is a wonderful player," he wrote in De Telegraaf. "He’s doing everything right, the pace in his passes is great and he sees everything. It’s nearly perfect.

"I’m impressed by Germany. Their passing, creating space and the way they use the goalkeeper.

"In footballing terms, they are outstanding."

Netherlands are also through to the semi-finals, where they face Lionel Messi’s Argentina, having beaten Costa Rica in a penalty shoot-out in their quarter-final.

The iconic playmaker praised Louis van Gaal for his decision to replace goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen with Tim Krul ahead of the shootout.

"There was only one reason why he brought on Krul,” Cruyff concluded, "I thought it was really fantastic, these are the things I really love."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil threaten doctors over Neymar

432266_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jul 8, 2014 8:15:00 AM

Reports emerged on Sunday that the 22-year-old could feature in the World Cup final, should the Selecao make it, but there have been furious reactions to those claims

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) has threatened to report doctors for recommending Neymar play in the World Cup final.

The forward fractured a vertebra in Brazil's 2-1 quarter-final win over Colombia on Friday when Juan Camilo Zuniga kneed the forward in the back in the second half.

The 22-year-old Brazil star was ruled out of the rest of the World Cup but within a couple of hours of the quarter-final in Fortaleza, reports emerged that Neymar could play in the tournament decider, if Brazil defeated Germany in their semi-final.

But CBF head doctor Jose Luiz Runco strenuously denied Neymar could be fit for the final, while the Brazilian governing body declared they would report any doctors that had recommended pain-killing injections for breaching medical ethics.

Reports in the Brazilian media suggested the doctors of Santos - Neymar's former club - had told both the player and his family that he could recover quickly enough to play in the final at the Maracana.

But Runco dismissed those suggestions. "There is absolutely no chance that Neymar will play," Runco told ESPN.

"Right now, Neymar has a stable injury to his spinal column, which needs bone healing.

"If the injury received any further impact it could become unstable, which would cause problems both to Neymar the player and the human being."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil are not weaker without Neymar or Thiago Silva, says Low

432149_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Jul 7, 2014 9:00:00 PM

The Germany coach believes the World Cup hosts can cover for the loss of two key players and insists his side feel no fear heading into Tuesday's game

Germany coach Joachim Low has insisted World Cup semi-final opponents Brazil will not be weakened by the absences of Neymar and Thiago Silva.

Low's side face the tournament hosts in the last four on Tuesday, but they are without star player Neymar, who scored four and set up one in five games before a broken vertebra in the quarter-final win over Colombia saw him ruled out for the rest of the tournament.

Meanwhile, the five-time world champions had an appeal to have Silva's suspension overturned after he was booked in the quarter-final rejected.

However, Low is adamant that the absences will not hinder Luiz Felipe Scolari's side, but could motivate them.

"They are not less dangerous now," he told the DFB's official website. "Neymar is a very strong player indeed but it is going to deliver some extra power to the other players.

"Other teams have experienced the same in the past. The other players must take much more responsibility now. They appeal to the whole country to support them because Neymar will not play.

"Thiago Silva can be replaced easily by Dante. Nobody should think that especially Dante will play worse against Germany than Thiago Silva would do.

"Those two players are replaceable for Brazil."

The 54-year-old feels his side have enough quality to beat Brazil, insisting they have no fear as they look to improve on their third-place finishes in each of the last two World Cups.

Low continued: "I think we have ways and means and the quality to send them home.

"We are playing against 200 million Brazilians. We are playing against the whole country. We are playing against the hosts. You could not wish for anything better - maybe winning the final would be better. But it's unbelievably exciting to be in this semi-final.

"There is always pressure. We have been to a semi-final before. We lost those matches in 2006 and 2010. But I think our team has matured.

"The players know that they once again have the chance to win the title. We are looking forward to the match.

"Of course, it is a match in which luck, form and all those little thi

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Germany want strong ref against 'brutal' Brazil

432950_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward in Belo Horizonte
Jul 8, 2014 12:50:00 AM

Joachim Low's side are wary of a Selecao team that committed 31 fouls in their quarter-final win over Colombia and called for a clamp down from official Marco Rodriguez

Germany coach Joachim Low and defender Jerome Boateng have called for strong refereeing from Mexican official Marco Rodriguez in their side's World Cup semi-final clash with Brazil on Tuesday.

Brazil's players committed 31 fouls in their quarter-final win over Colombia on Friday and Low claims many of those were cynical actions which interrupted promising attacks.

"I saw the game between Brazil and Colombia and there were many fouls by both teams," he said at the pre-match press conference at the Estadio Mineirao on Monday.

"There were many fouls where a player jumped on another's back to stop his rival. The fouls I saw were not players chasing the ball and trying to win possession.

"There were brutal fouls. People blocking opponents however they could. It was really exaggerated. That's what we saw on the pitch, so I hope these really brutal and crude fouls are stopped, or we won't see players like Lionel Messi, Mesut Ozil or Neymar - we'll just see players who go out to destroy.

"This is a World Cup that's full of dynamism and physical force, but I have seen matches where the limits have been surpassed."

The Germany coach then called for a strong performance from referee Rodriguez as his side attempt to silence the host nation.

"I hope the referee, Mr Rodriguez from Mexico, will clamp down on things," Low added.

"That physical energy in the match against Colombia went beyond the limits in Europe. When I saw that match... in Europe, 22 players wouldn't have ended that match."

And Boateng said: "We saw a lot of tackles from behind in Colombia against Brazil and it went beyond what was acceptable."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Minor details will decide Brazil-Germany' - Low

430314_heroa.jpg

Jul 8, 2014 1:12:00 AM

The 54-year-old coach says the semi-finals are a contest between Europe and South America and is sure his side can get beyond the tournament hosts

Joachim Low is confident that Germany can put up a good fight against Brazil when the two sides meet in the World Cup semi-final and feels the match will be decided by a minor detail.

Die Mannschaft have been in impressive form so far this summer, topping Group G with seven points before disposing of Algeria and France to set up Tuesday's semi-final with Brazil.

Although Luiz Felipe Scolari's side have made it to the semi-final, their performances have failed to hit the heights expected. Low admitted the hosts are a strong team, but insists his side can match them.

"We all know how strong Brazil are," he told a press conference. "They were the big favourites right from the start and the players have mostly coped with this role outstandingly.

"They underlined at the Confederations Cup last year that the expectation levels lift them further and the pressure doesn't numb them.

"What they've done is good for the whole tournament; it's good when the hosts go so far, but we're self-confident and we've gelled more as the tournament has progressed.

"We'll devise a good plan and give Brazil a real fight. The chances are even and it's going to come down to something really minor, who reaches the final."

The 54-year-old said he is excited about the semi-finals, labelling it as a match between the two continents.

Low continued: "These two semi-finals are a battle of the continents. Europe against South America.

"We've been in at least the semi-finals of the last four World Cups and that just shows that we've been playing consistently at the very highest level.

"One thing is for sure - we desperately want to play in the Maracana in Rio again, on 13 July. We are not done yet."

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mascherano fearful of Robben and Van Persie threat

424621_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jul 7, 2014 12:55:00 PM

The Barcelona midfielder understands the danger posed by the Dutch forwards, and believes fate will decide if they reach the World Cup final

Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano has warned his team-mates about the threat of the Netherlands attack ahead of their World Cup semi-final.

The Dutch have been the tournament's outstanding attacking side, with the trio of Arjen Robben, Robin van Persie and Wesley Sneijder the Oranje's stand-out names.

Louis van Gaal's side reached the final of the 2010 World Cup, only to be beaten 1-0 by Spain, and Mascherano says that fact, along with their quality, makes them particularly dangerous.

“We know we're playing a team that is the best in countering with the speed of their forwards,” Mascherano said.

“We face a team that is experienced, that is very hungry after being the losing finalists in the last World Cup.

“We will not expect an easy game and it will be even harder than the Belgium match for the quality of its players and the experience.”

Argentina have not reached this stage of the World Cup since losing the 1990 final to Germany in Italy and Mascherano believes fate will decide whether or not they surpass the final hurdle this time around.

"We have to hold onto the dream because we can take Argentina to a place where we haven’t been before. And these opportunities are very rare and we have to take them,” he said.

"This match 24 years ago, which the Argentines played, we were lucky to be part of this milestone - but this increases the expectations of most people.

“Fate will take care of us as we go for the final.”

He added: "We have a unique and wonderful opportunity, and we will live with the dream of being able to reach the final.

"These instances are played with heart and soul, but you won’t reach [the final] if you're not smart enough on tactical issues.”

GuillermoOchoa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martins Indi: We must make sure Messi doesn’t get the ball

432360_heroa.jpg

By Ed Dove
Jul 7, 2014 9:45:00 PM

The Dutch defender has insisted that Argentina have weak points that Netherlands can exploit in their World Cup semi-final

Bruno Martins Indi insists that Netherlands can beat Argentina in their World Cup semi-final on Wednesday, stressing they must nullify the effect of Lionel Messi.

The four-time Ballon d’Or winner has been in great form so far this summer, scoring four goals in three group-stage games as well as playing a decisive role in both the Albiceleste’s second-round victory over Switzerland and their quarter-final triumph over Belgium.

Netherland beat Costa Rica in a penalty shootout to set up a semi-final meeting with Alejandro Sabella's side and Martins Indi believes keeping Messi quiet throughout the game is key.

"Argentina is still a very good team," the Dutch defender told NUSport. "But Belgium also got some chances against them. I’ve watched that match.

"Every team has strong and weak points. We have to make sure that Messi doesn't get the ball."

The Feyenoord player believes that the Oranje are improving defensively and the tournament has helped him develop.

"Look at the way we are positioned in defence,” he began, “I'm doing things differently then I used to do, and I try to read the game a lot more.

"When you play against the best players in the world, you'll only get better."