• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eager Dortmund anticipating Arsenal showdown

Published: Tuesday 5 November 2013, 20.06CET

Jürgen Klopp says Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal FC hold no surprises for each other while Arsène Wenger is expecting a "symphony" in their pivotal Group F fixture.

by Steffen Potter
from Dortmund

2012885_w2.jpg

Dortmund coach Jürgen Klopp

Borussia Dortmund's victory at Arsenal FC two weeks ago has left the top three teams in UEFA Champions League Group F locked together on six points, although Jürgen Klopp acknowledges that match might easily have gone the other way. While the home coach wants the German club to "bring our qualities", Arsène Wenger is asking the visitors to show a "different level" from the last fixture.

Dortmund
Jürgen Klopp, coach

I don't think it's possible to surprise anyone at this level any more. If we find our game, that could also suit the way Arsenal play. But in the match in London there were also moments where they [Arsenal] did manage to find that tiny gap and where small things could have made a difference. Just think about the moment Santi Cazorla hit the bar. I am sure we will not be surprised by Arsenal's quality and I don't believe they will be surprised by us.

I don't have the impression that Arsenal are more dangerous away from home than at their own stadium – they are strong home and away. I saw their match at Bayern München last season, it was tightly contested right to the finish. We spoke about this game in our dressing room, as it showed you have to stay focused all the time. How we cope with them depends on us. If they prove stronger away than they were at home then it will also have been down to us. When we bring our qualities on the pitch, it is certainly not easy to play us here.

Weekend result
Friday: Dortmund 6-1 VfB Stuttgart (Sokratis 19, Reus 22, Lewandowski 54 56 72, Aubameyang 81; Haggui 13)
Weidenfeller; Grosskreutz, Papastathopoulos, Hummels, Schmelzer (Durm 71); Bender, Şahin; Błaszczykowski, Mkhitaryan (Schieber 76), Reus (Aubameyang 59); Lewandowski.

• Robert Lewandowski struck his fourth hat-trick for Dortmund. Sokratis Papastathopoulos was also on target with his first goal for the club, cancelling out the visitors' opener in what was Roman Weidenfeller's 300th Bundesliga game

Team news
Sebastian Kehl has been unavailable since sustaining an ankle ligament injury in practice on 15 September, but is back in training. Łukasz Piszczek, out till at least the end of November, had hip and groin surgery during the summer. İlkay Gündoğan has been sidelined since mid-August due to compression of the spine. "There is a 97.5% chance that Mats Hummels will not be available due to hamstring problems," said Klopp. "It looks a lot better for Marcel Schmelzer, he should be fit."

Arsenal
Arsène Wenger, manager

Dortmund are a very good football team and so are Arsenal – so we should see a good symphony. We play to win everywhere. We have a positive attitude in our approach to the game.

Dortmund are a very positive side, we are a very positive side, so at least you have the guarantee that two teams will try to win the game. I don't know if this will be a decisive match – it also depends what happens between Marseille and Napoli – but it is a very important match for us now, because we lost at home and now have to win the away games.

We try to win every away game, which gives us strength and motivation. We had a few problems at home, but I hope those are over given we won the Liverpool match. [Robert] Lewandowski is quite dangerous at home, but it is down to us to control the ball, that's the best way to keep them quiet. We try to control the game and have the ball.

We want to do well in all competitions. The fact that we have five points' edge in the Premier League does not mean we don't want to be successful in the Champions League as well.

We maybe lost the first game because we wanted to absolutely win it at all costs and we exposed ourselves. It was a midfield battle and we got caught on the counterattack because we were all up front and were not happy with the draw. It will strengthen the resolve of my team to come out and show a different level.

Weekend result
Saturday: Arsenal 2-0 Liverpool FC (Cazorla 19, Ramsey 59)
Szczęsny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs (Vermaelen 78); Rosický (Monreal 72), Arteta; Ramsey, Cazorla (Jenkinson 84), Özil; Giroud.

• Arsenal established a five-point lead at the Premier League summit with victory over their nearest challengers.

Team news
Theo Walcott has not played since having an operation on his abdomen on 25 September. Abou Diaby has been laid off since March with a knee injury; Lukas Podolski (hamstring) and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee) are also absent. Jack Wilshere misses out as he rolled his left ankle in training on Thursday.

Match fact
• This is the second time in three seasons the sides have been in the same UEFA Champions League group. They met on opening night in 2011/12, when Robin van Persie pointed the Gunners towards victory in Germany before Ivan Perišić volleyed a superb late equaliser.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

In-form Napoli wary of wounded Marseille

Published: Tuesday 5 November 2013, 19.50CET

While Rafael Benítez warns SSC Napoli against complacency as they seek a third Group F win, Olympique de Marseille are ready to go down fighting according to Élie Baup.

by William Anselmo
from Naples

2018919_w2.jpg

Rafael Benítez talks to his players during training on the eve of the game

Rafael Benítez has called on his SSC Napoli players to adopt "the right mindset" when they welcome Group F strugglers Olympique de Marseille on Wednesday. Benítez's side go into the game level on six points with Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal FC, who meet in Germany. Marseille, meanwhile, are yet to get off the mark but coach Élie Baup says the UEFA Champions League is always worth fighting for.

Napoli
Rafael Benítez, coach

We need to focus on this game against Marseille without thinking of the permutations. Of course I would have preferred an easier group in the Champions League, but we cannot change teams. There are no poor sides in the Champions League. It's important that the fans fill the stadium.

Finding the right balance takes time, and we still have to improve the cohesion of the group. I will not ask my players to focus on goal difference because the important thing is to play to win. Goal difference does not matter that much because it is our duty to win.

What is more difficult – the Italian league or the Champions League? Both competitions are tough; the championship is very long while the Champions League is full of dangerous teams.

This Marseille team has plenty of quality and is physically strong. Perhaps they are lacking a little in confidence, but we still have to play with the right mindset. We are favourites to win but we must not think about this because Marseille have a few players who can make a difference.

Weekend result

Saturday: Napoli 2-1 Calcio Catania (Callejón 15, Hamšík 20; Lucas Castro 25)
Reina; Mesto (Uvini 7), Fernández, Albiol, Armero; Dzemaili, Behrami; Callejón, Hamsik, Insigne (Mertens 90); Higuaín (Zapata 79).

• Marek Hamšík marked his 275th Napoli outing with a goal. He is now level with Bruno Gramaglia in sixth on the club's all-time appearances list.

Team news
Miguel Britos (dislocated collarbone) and Camilo Zúñiga (knee) are sidelined while Giandomenico Mesto has been ruled out until spring after suffering knee ligament damage at the weekend.

Marseille
Élie Baup, coach

We're playing for pride, to put our club in a favourable light. Today we have zero points in the group, but we hope to get at least a point tomorrow. This match is important. Some people say it is not worth fighting in this competition because we are on zero points, but participating in the Champions League is always something special and unique.

Even though we did not win [on Saturday], we worked well. The important things are concentration and tactics. Which team in the group has surprised me? The teams are all of high quality. In their respective leagues they are all top or near to it – and could win the title. It is hard to say who is the strongest. Napoli have so many quality players and it will not be easy to play against them.

Weekend result
Saturday: Stade Rennais FC 1-1 Marseille (Nélson Oliveira 9; J Ayew 16)
Mandanda; Abdallah, Nkoulou, Diawara, Morel; Romao, Imbula, Thauvin (Gignac 90+5), Valbuena (Cheyrou 84), Payet (Khalifa 71); J Ayew.

• Jordan Ayew scored his first Ligue 1 goal since 26 January and Steve Mandanda saved a 75th-minute Nélson Oliveira penalty as OM drew. It ended a run of five successive defeats, Marseille's worst sequence since enduring seven losses in a row in February/March 2012.

Team news
Defenders Lucas Mendes (ankle) and Rod Fanni (groin) are out with injuries.

Match fact
• Marseille took on FC Internazionale Milano in the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League round of 16, losing the away leg 2-1 but going through on away goals after a 1-0 win at home courtesy of an André Ayew effort in added time.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spalletti calls on big players to decide Porto duel

Published: Tuesday 5 November 2013, 18.13CET

While FC Zenit's Luciano Spalletti expects the Group G meeting with FC Porto to be decided by "key individuals", Paulo Fonseca has vowed to "do whatever we can to win".

1997038_w2.jpg

Luciano Spalletti's side won 1-0 in Portugal on matchday three

Luciano Spalletti expects FC Zenit's even-looking UEFA Champions League Group G encounter with FC Porto to be decided by "key individuals". Zenit and Porto appear to be vying for second spot in the section behind Club Atlético de Madrid, making Wednesday's meeting in Russia potentially pivotal. For Spalletti's Porto counterpart Paulo Fonseca, there is little option but to go for the jugular – lose and their chances of reaching the round of 16 will verge on the tenuous.

Zenit
Luciano Spalletti, coach

We will be in excellent condition tomorrow. For us it makes no difference how Porto play as we are thinking about how to win. I've seen all of Porto's recent games and I think they are a very strong team who continue to enjoy success every season despite the loss of some important players.

It doesn't matter how they have played recently, the only thing that is important is what happens on the pitch. They will come to get the three points and we need the same thing. Let's wait and see who gets what they want. For a strong team there is no obstacle – not even rain or snow should stop us playing our own game.

Skilful players can be decisive tomorrow. When both teams have a number of talented individuals, then it is not the tactical nuances that decide the outcome but how the key players perform. The result will also be determined by the mentality and the team spirit shown.

Weekend result

Saturday: Zenit 1-1 FC Amkar Perm (Danny 39; Phibel 26)
Lodygin; Smolnikov, Neto, Lombaerts, Criscito; Fayzulin (Shatov 62), Shirokov (Bystrov 85), Witsel; Arshavin (Kerzhakov 46), Hulk, Danny.

• Forward Danny has scored 12 goals in all competitions this season; he managed four in 2012/13.

Team news
Goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malafeev has not played a competitive game this season but is available again after recovering from a calf injury.

Porto
Paulo Fonseca, coach

Despite recent results, this will be a very important game that can fix everything for us, but both teams are very strong. The result tomorrow will show our strength at the moment – it does not matter what has happened in the past.

For Porto, every game is a game to win and Champions League matches are always special. We will do whatever we can to win because the situation in the group does not leave us with any other choice. Our team is aware of – and respects – Zenit's strengths, but the mentality of our team is strong.

These are two sides of roughly the same standard. I don't think Zenit will play it tight in defence – it will be an interesting game. We respect Zenit but Porto have always played in this style and with this ideology. Zenit's players are very strong and skilled, but teamwork is even more important.

Weekend result
Saturday: CF Os Belenenses 1-1 Porto (João Pedro 34; Mangala 30)
Helton; Danilo, Mangala, Otamendi, Alex Sandro; Fernando, Lucho (Carlos Eduardo 87), Herrera (Ghilas 79); Varela, Ricardo (Licá 61), Jackson.

• Porto's record nine matches into the 2013/14 Liga season is identical to the previous two campaigns: seven wins and two draws.

Team news
Porto's 18-man squad for the Stadion Petrovski trip includes midfielder Mikel Agu and central defender Diego Reyes, both yet to make their league debut for the Dragons. Juan Quintero – thigh – and the suspended Hector Herrera are unavailable.

Match fact
• Including victories against FC Nordsjælland and FC Paços de Ferreira in this season's qualifying rounds, Zenit have won five of their last seven home outings and have lost just one of the past 24 – 3-2 to AC Milan last term.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hoeness: Barcelona don't have a Plan B

334438_heroa.jpg

By Henry Jackson18
Nov 6, 2013 2:12:00 PM

The 61-year-old says that while the Blaugrana's 'Plan A' is "perfect", the Catalans have no back-up plan, as underlined by last season's Champions League semi-finals

Barcelona don't have a 'Plan B', according to Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness.

The reigning European champions qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League with a 1-0 victory away to Viktoria Plzen on Tuesday that came courtesy of a second-half header from substitute Mario Mandzukic.

Hoeness believes that the change of system implemented by coach Pep Guardiola during the game proved decisive, and also served to underline that the Bavarians are more versatile and adaptable than Barca, whom they routed 7-0 on aggregate in last season's tournament.

"Last night showed the big difference between our game compared to Barcelona's," the 61-year-old told TZ.

"They [Barcelona] have a Plan A, which is perfect, but they have no Plan B, as they showed in their two games against us [in the Champions League] last season.

"Pep introduced Mandzukic to the game and he made a big difference. He played with no striker, saw it wasn't working and realised Mario could change things."

Hoeness also wanted to play down all the excitement surrounding Bayern's 36-game undefeated run.

"All this talk of the unbeaten run is too hyped for me," the former West Germany international confessed. "The whole 36 games will mean nothing if we lose at home to Augsburg in the derby on Saturday."

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes backs Van Persie after penalty miss

337351_heroa.jpg

By Ian Capasso58
Nov 5, 2013 11:35:00 PM

The Dutchman and Chicharito were both guilty of profligacy against Real Sociedad as the visitors missed the chance to take control of their Champions League group

David Moyes has backed Robin van Persie to bounce back from his penalty miss against Real Sociedad.

The Dutchman came off the bench to replace Wayne Rooney with the match goalless, only to hit the woodwork from 12 yards before again being denied by the upright late on.

But Moyes is certain Van Persie will not be deterred, despite failing to add to his solitary goal so far in Europe this season.

"The goals will come for Robin, he's scoring already so hopefully more will come," he told Sky Sports.

Chicharito was also guilty of profligacy, and United's disappointment was compounded in the closing minutes of the match when Marouane Fellaini was sent off, though remains confident of qualification for the knockout stage.

"I think it bobbles to be fair to [Chicharito], it just bobbles off the ground and he got underneath it," he added.

"It shouldn't have been a draw, it should've been a victory. We played well enough to win the game.

"We had a lot of chances and missed a penalty as well. It was [concerning] because when you get opportunities you want to take them. They would have ensured that we went well clear at the top of this group.

"I thought it was a difficult night for all our players, the referee didn't give us much.

"We're in a good position but we should have got the three points tonight. We've got two more games to come and hopefully we get the points to qualify."

The Scot also leapt to the defence of Fellaini, insisting that the Belgium international was unlucky to be shown a second yellow card for a late challenge.

"I think there were some strange decisions, and that was one of them," the United boss added.

"I think it was just a case of totting up [the challenges] at the end of the day that got him the sending off. It was harsh, as he played well."

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Pathetic' Young caught up in fresh dive storm

330260_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin97
Nov 6, 2013 9:39:00 AM

The Manchester United winger won a controversial penalty in the 0-0 draw with Real Sociedad but David Moyes has refused to condemn the 28-year-old for going to ground

Former Manchester United players Ray Wilkins and Roy Keane have hit out at Ashley Young after the midfielder appeared to dive to win a penalty in his side's 0-0 draw with Real Sociedad.

The 28-year-old winger went down easily under a challenge from Markel Bergara after having been introduced as a second-half substitute, with Robin van Persie smashing the resulting spot-kick against the post.

It is not the first time Young has been embroiled in a diving controversy, with the former Aston Villa star reprimanded by manager David Moyes after he earned a penalty in the 2-0 win over Crystal Palace back in September.

And Wilkins and Keane were unimpressed with Young's latest decision to fall to the floor, insisting that the out-of-favour midfielder is damaging his reputation as a result. Wilkins told Sky Sports: "This [dive] is pathetic.

"This is as bad for me as all these over-the-top tackles we're getting at the moment because that is a conning of the referee. I just wish Ashley would cut this out because he's a good player but he's getting a bad name."

Keane added to ITV: "He's obviously played for it. If you are a Man United player and you see a player getting tugged back, you want him to go down. Ashley Young's obviously gone down too much over the last few months.

"He's been heavily criticised in England but we are in a foreign country and it's more accepted. But he's almost conned the referee there. If he scores the penalty, as a United player you would be delighted, but he's conned the referee there."

Moyes refused to single out his player for criticism but did concede that it was a "strange" decision by Italian referee Nicola Rizzoli to award a penalty.

"I thought there were some strange decisions all night and that was another one of them," the United boss said.

"I have seen it again. The boy tugs him in the box. The referee is two yards away from it and decides to give it. He's got a penalty kick for a decision tonight. I don't know about his reputation but the referee is there and he gave it.

"The referee made decisions all night. He's the one who saw fit to award a penalty and send a player off. I thought the referee made the decision and that was the referee's choice."

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk 0 Bayer Leverkusen 0

6 November 2013

385248header.jpg

Goalkeeper Bernd Leno was Bayer Leverkusen's hero as they claimed a gutsy 0-0 UEFA Champions League draw at Shakhtar Donetsk.

Leno made a string of terrific saves throughout the Group A clash at the Donbass Arena on Tuesday, as the visitors consolidated their position in second.

Shakhtar thoroughly dominated the first half, having 10 attempts on goal, with the influential Darijo Srna going closest when his cross-cum-shot drifted into the post.

Leno denied Facundo Ferreyra twice in the early stages, while Bernard and Yaroslav Rakitskiy were also frustrated by the in-form keeper in the first half.

Leverkusen improved after the break and threatened on the counter, with Sidney Sam and Heung-Min Son having their best chances, but Shakhtar almost claimed victory when substitute Ilsinho sent a fizzing effort just wide with 13 minutes left.

Leno's brilliance was enough to give Leverkusen a hard-fought draw, though, as they remain two points ahead of the third-placed Shakhtar.

Both sides made wholesale changes after disappointing away defeats, with Leverkusen head coach Sami Hyypia making six to the side that lost at rock-bottom Eintracht Braunschweig, recalling Sam, Son and striker Stefan Kiessling.

Shakhtar – who made seven alterations of their own – created the game's first chance when Srna's cut-back was fired at goal by Ferreyra in the seventh minute, but Leno gathered at the second attempt.

Leno again denied Ferreyra, this time making a superb reaction save to deny the forward from close range, while Gonzalo Castro and Sam both had half-chances at the other end on the break.

Shakhtar dominated a first half played at a frantic pace, though, and Srna's cross – which floated towards goal and had Leno well beaten, only to hit the post – began a period of dominance for the hosts.

Bernard forced Leno into a terrific diving save in the 32nd minute before Srna thrashed the rebound over, while Rakitskiy had a powerful effort tipped over by the busy goalkeeper at the near post.

Leno moved well to keep out Srna's dipping free-kick in the first minute of the second half before the visitors enjoyed a strong spell, with Sam and Son forcing Shakhtar goalkeeper Andriy Pyatov into action.

Leverkusen had success exploiting the space Shakhtar gave them, but the hosts stepped up a gear just after the hour mark, with Ferreyra and Douglas Costa firing over, before Rakitskiy saw a close-range shot diverted wide.

Sam wasted a good chance for Leverkusen when he shot straight at Pyatov on the turn in the 72nd minute, while Shakhtar substitute Ilsinho saw a long-range effort go agonisingly wide.

Luiz Adriano headed straight at Leno in stoppage time, but Shakhtar could find no way past the keeper as the Bundesliga side claimed a valuable point.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Real Sociedad 0 Manchester United 0
6 November 2013

385247header.jpg

Manchester United were left to rue a succession of individual errors after being held 0-0 by Real Sociedad on Tuesday.

Robin van Persie missed a penalty and Marourane Fellaini was sent off as United saw their four-game winless run away from home in the UEFA Champions League continue.

The point was Real Sociedad's first of this season's competition and keeps their slim hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages alive given Bayer Leverkusen and Shakhtar Donetsk also drew.

United remain top of Group A with eight points, but will feel they should have taken all three with Javier Hernandez also guilty of missing an open goal.

The hosts made four changes from their 5-0 victory over Osasuna on Saturday as Markel Bergara, Alberto de la Bella, Mikel Gonzalez and Imanol Agirretxe all started having been on the bench at the weekend.

David Moyes opted to field Hernandez up front with Wayne Rooney as opposed to Van Persie, the Dutchman named among the substitutes. Hernandez was one of six changes for United from their victory over Fulham in the Premier League.

The visitors started confidently and pressed Sociedad high up the pitch, creating the first chance of the match in the 10th minute.

Shinji Kagawa released Patrice Evra down the left-hand side, the Frenchman found Rooney inside the penalty area and he flicked the ball back to the Japan international to fire a deflected shot wide.

It took the best part of half an hour for Sociedad to create an opening that came after David Zurutuza broke down the right.

The midfielder pulled his cross back to Agirretxe on the penalty spot, but he skewed his effort well wide of David de Gea’s goal.

United should have taken the lead early in the second half, but Hernandez was guilty of missing an open goal in the 50th minute.

Kagawa shifted the ball past Carlos Martinez and delivered a low cross into the unmarked Mexican, but he ballooned his effort over the bar from six yards.

The visitors’ frustration continued just after the hour as Van Persie – introduced in place of Rooney – struck the post with his first touch after an excellent cross from fellow substitute Ashley Young.

The Netherlands international striker was given another opportunity to score four minutes later after Bergara was adjudged to have pulled back Young inside the penalty area.

Van Persie’s spot-kick beat Claudio Bravo but struck the post and was cleared to safety by the Sociedad defence.

Fellaini spoiled United's night with his late dismissal after a second yellow card following a challenge on Zurutuza.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Juventus 2 Real Madrid 2
6 November 2013

385246header.jpg

Real Madrid put one foot in the UEFA Champions League round of 16 as a 2-2 draw at Juventus dented the Turin club’s qualification hopes.

Carlo Ancelotti’s side were on the back foot for the majority of the first half with Iker Casillas making a string of fine saves in the Group B encounter at Juventus Stadium.

Despite the efforts of Casillas, Real did fall behind shortly before half-time thanks to Arturo Vidal’s penalty.

However, the Spanish side responded well after the break and grabbed a deserved equaliser through Cristiano Ronaldo’s calm finish before stealing ahead when Gareth Bale slotted home.

Juventus refused to lie down and earned a share of the spoils thanks to Fernando Llorente’s low header.

The result means Real will qualify for the knockout stages barring a freak set of results, as third-placed Copenhagen are six points behind with a vastly inferior goal difference. Juventus are now bottom of the group, but only one point behind Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

Giorgio Chiellini was suspended for the hosts after being sent off in the return fixture, so Leonardo Bonucci deputised.

Real named a now familiar front three of Karim Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale, while Raphael Varane partnered Pepe in the centre of defence.

The visitors made the brighter start, but Juventus grew into the game and were twice thwarted by Casillas.

First he made a superb reflex save to beat away Marcelo’s inadvertent deflection in the 17th minute, before denying Llorente at point-blank range with his right foot.

However, there was nothing the goalkeeper could do to prevent the opener three minutes before the break as Madrid conceded their fifth penalty in three matches.

Varane was penalised for catching Paul Pogba's trailing leg and the resulting spot-kick was dispatched high into the goal by Vidal.

Real pressed much higher up the pitch in the second half and were rewarded with the equaliser in the 52nd minute.

Martin Caceres' slack backpass was deflected into the path of Benzema and his throughball was collected by Ronaldo, who applied a cool finish beyond Gianluigi Buffon.

Real nearly punished Juventus further four minutes later when Xabi Alonso's thunderous half-volley cannoned back off the crossbar.

After surviving that scare, the hosts nearly retook the lead when Claudio Marchisio was twice denied, first by Casillas and then by Pepe's goal-line block.

Marchisio's misfortune appeared more significant as Real moved in front on the hour mark, Ronaldo collecting Marcelo’s pass with a sublime touch and finding Bale, who drove at the Juve defence and found the bottom-right corner with a drilled left-footed shot.

Yet Juventus were back level six minutes later, Caceres atoning for his earlier error with a teasing cross that Llorente stooped low to head home.

The home fans almost had the chance to celebrate a winner, but were once again frustrated by Casillas as he kept out Tevez’s long-distance effort.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Viktoria Plzen 0 Bayern Munich 1

6 November 2013

385245header.jpg

Defending champions Bayern Munich limped into the UEFA Champions League round of 16 with a scrappy 1-0 win at Viktoria Plzen on Tuesday.

Pep Guardiola went into the game lamenting his side's recent struggles to dominate teams, and they once again failed to blow away the Czech champions, despite enjoying 72 per cent possession and raining 14 shots at goal.

Plzen goalkeeper Matus Kozacik was in supreme form, while Bayern's own patience in front of goal was often their own downfall.

Second-half substitute Mario Mandzukic netted just six minutes after coming on to secure the points, heading Philipp Lahm's cross past Kozacik.

As well as securing a place in the next phase, Bayern also matched Real Madrid's Champions League record of nine consecutive wins with the triumph at the Doosan Arena.

The hosts were unchanged from their 6-1 crushing of Jablonec last weekend, but Guardiola shuffled his pack after Saturday's struggle to beat Hoffenheim, making four changes and including Diego Contento, a left-back by trade, in the heart of defence.

The 23-year-old immediately looked shaky in his converted position as he appeared to haul Stanislav Tecl down in the penalty area, but referee Antonio Mateu‎ was unmoved.

Bayern quickly asserted their dominance as Plzen goalkeeper Kozacik was twice called into action from distance by David Alaba, while Bastian Schweinsteiger rattled the post from Mario Gotze's cut-back.

Guardiola's side poured forward, but were not creating clear-cut chances as the Czechs stood resolute at the back and almost grabbed a shock lead. Milan Petrzela squirmed clear, but his left-footed shot sailed over the crossbar as Bayern's first-half frustrations went on until the half-time whistle

Bayern came out for the second half with renewed vigour and Lahm was denied his first Champions League goal just four minutes after the break as he prodded past Kozacik, but Marian Cisovsky slid across to deny the Bavarians' captain.

Daniel Van Buyten flicked a header wide from a corner, with Thomas Muller just missing out on a tap-in at the far post and Franck Ribery was denied one-on-one by the inspired Kozacik as Bayern turned the screw.

With Bayern still unable to break the deadlock, Guardiola introduced Mandzukic and Javi Martinez for Muller and Schweinsteiger, and the changes had the desired effect within six minutes of being made.

Lahm pulled out to the right and swung a deep cross to the back post that Mandzukic planted across goal and past the despairing dive of Kozacik.

Tecl brought Manuel Neuer into action with a low drive before missing Petrzela's cross by inches as Plzen hit back in the hunt for an equaliser.

Bayern should have settled the game late on as Gotze rounded Kozacik, but he took the ball too far and Mandzukic could not convert his cross, but it mattered for little as the holders sealed their progression from Group D.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Manchester City 5 CSKA Moscow 2
6 November 2013

385244header.jpg

Alvaro Negredo scored a hat-trick as Manchester City beat CSKA Moscow 5-2 to reach the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

Argentina striker Sergio Aguero scored twice in the first half to become City’s leading scorer of all time in European football and put them on course to qualify from Group D.

Aguero took his tally to nine goals in his last six games in the process and he then set up Negredo for a third goal before Seydou Doumbia pulled one back just before the break.

Spain striker Negredo added a fourth goal early in the second half before Doumbia added his second of the night from the penalty spot.

Negredo then completed his hat-trick in stoppage time as City qualified for the knockout stages, courtesy of their head-to-head record against the Russians.

City thrashed Norwich 7-0 in the Premier League on Saturday, so it was no surprise that Manuel Pellegrini named an unchanged side – the first time he has done so as City boss - with Costel Pantilimon again preferred to under-fire England goalkeeper Joe Hart.

CSKA headed into the match having won their last three domestic games following their defeat to City last month and they were also unchanged.

The pre-match talk was dominated by the alleged racial abuse suffered by City midfielder Yaya Toure in the first meeting between the sides last month that resulted in UEFA deciding to close part of CSKA's Arena Khimki for their clash with Bayern Munich.

But City were focused on the task of qualifying and they were in front after just three minutes, when Zoran Tosic upended David Silva and Aguero's spot-kick evaded the outstretched arm of goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev diving to his left.

Aguero then doubled City's lead when he sublimely turned his marker inside the area before dispatching a measured right-foot strike into the bottom-left corner of Akinfeev's goal after just 21 minutes.

The lively Argentinian then turned provider on the half-hour mark when he took a pass from Negredo in his stride and then picked out the Spain striker at the back post for a simple tap-in.

But it was CSKA who had the final say in the first half when Pontus Wernbloom slipped the ball through for Doumbia and the striker rounded Pantilimon before pulling a goal back in stoppage time.

Any hopes of a CSKA comeback were dashed six minutes into the second half, though, when Toure picked out Samir Nasri with an incisive pass and the midfielder set up Negredo for another simple finish.

Doumba was a real handful and he scored his second of the night from the spot after Gael Clichy was adjudged to have fouled him to make it eight goals in his last 10 games.

But Negredo had the final say as he headed home at the back post to cap a memorable night for City.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Copenhagen 1 Galatasaray 0
6 November 2013

385250header.jpg

Copenhagen hauled themselves back into contention for UEFA Champions League qualification with a 1-0 home win over Galatasaray.

Daniel Braaten scored the only goal of the game, his first in the competition since December 2005, with an improvised finish from Rurik Gislason's right-wing cross in the sixth minute.

Both sides hit the woodwork in a frantic first half before a more cagey second period in which there was little goalmouth action, as Copenhagen maintained their record of never having lost at home in the group stages.

The win leaves Group B wide open, with Stale Solbakken's side now level with their opponents on four points, with Juventus a point behind them at the foot of the table with two matches remaining.

Solbakken made one change from the weekend as Igor Vetokele was replaced by Youssef Toutouh, despite scoring twice in the 4-0 win over Nordsjaelland on Saturday, while the visitors made four changes from their last outing, with Wesley Sneijder (thigh) and goalkeeper Fernando Muslera (toe) among those missing out.

The hosts made a dream start as Braaten put them ahead inside six minutes, getting across Emmanuel Eboue in the six-yard box to backheel Gislason's low cross into the net.

And that advantage was almost doubled two minutes later as Nicolai Jorgensen, who also netted a brace at the weekend, headed Pierre Bengtsson's right-wing free-kick against the upright after Albert Riera had brought down Lars Jacobsen.

After a breathless start, Galatasaray eventually got a foothold in the game, Bruma having his close-range effort disallowed for offside after Johan Wiland had brilliantly denied Burak Yilmaz's downward header in the 21st minute.

Felipe Melo then went close to an equaliser for Roberto Mancini's side 10 minutes before the break, thumping a header against the post from Riera's corner before nodding the rebound over the crossbar.

As the half drew to a close, both sides missed golden opportunities to score within a minute of each other.

First, Bengtsson released Braaten, who charged half the length of the field only to be denied by Eray Iscan, before Didier Drogba volleyed Aydin Yilmaz's delivery over the crossbar from eight yards out when totally unmarked.

After a quiet start to the second period, Drogba stung the palms of Wiland with a fierce drive in the 69th minute, before the goalkeeper made a more straightforward save from the Ivorian five minutes later.

The visitors continued to push hard for an equaliser in the final stages, but Copenhagen stood firm to claim their first win of the campaign and put themselves back into contention for qualification.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Zenit St Petersburg 1 Porto 1
7 November 2013

385350header.jpg

Zenit St Petersburg were left to rue Hulk's missed second-half penalty as they were held 1-1 by Porto at the Petrovsky Stadium on Wednesday.

While the Russian side maintained their unbeaten record at home this season, the former Porto striker's saved penalty ensured the spoils were shared in the UEFA Champions League Group G encounter.

Lucho Gonzalez put the home side ahead after 23 minutes, heading home Danilo's delivery from the right, with Hulk on hand to remind Porto of his quality three minutes short of the half hour, when he stole in to latch onto a loose ball, which Nicolas Otamendi, Eliaquim Mangala and goalkeeper Helton all failed to deal with.

The Brazilian was quickly onto Roman Shirokov's aimless pass before coolly dispatching his equaliser, although he spurned the chance to secure Zenit the points early in the second when his 52nd-minute penalty was saved.

Steven Defour replaced the suspended Hector Herrera for Porto, with the midfielder sent off in the sides' last Champions League meeting, while Silvestre Varela was preferred ahead of Lica in the forward line.

For Zenit, Domenico Criscito replacing Neto was one change from the side that won in Portugal, with Hulk starting against his former club. Alexander Kerzhakov had to be content with a place on the bench, despite grabbing an 85th-minute winner in the reverse fixture.

The visitors had the first opportunity of the match, with Josue curling a long-range effort just past Yuri Lodygin's left-hand post after six minutes, while Axel Witsel side-footed Hulk's lay-off over the bar in an even opening.

Porto edged the opening 20 minutes and went ahead shortly after courtesy of Gonzalez.

The Argentina international expertly guided a header from a lofted Danilo cross into the far corner of the net, to secure his second goal of this season’s competition.

However, the lead last just five minutes when Hulk returned to haunt his former employers.

He nipped in to take advantage of confusion between Helton and his defenders, rounding the goalkeeper and slotting home to draw the hosts level.

Victor Fayzulin forced Helton into a good save while Lodygin captured a firm header from Jackson Martinez at the second attempt a minute before the break.

Oleg Shatov's effort rippled the side netting three minute into the second half, although Hulk wasted a glorious opportunity to put the home side in front, when he missed his penalty soon after.

Otamendi was penalised for blocking Shatov's cross with his hand, but Helton got down to his right and easily saved Hulk's tame effort.

Martinez's swerving effort almost caught out Lodygin eight minutes after the hour, but his strike was tipped wide, before Otamendi headed narrowly over from the resulting corner.

Both sides pressed for a winner in the late stages of the game, Hulk seeing a penalty appeal waved away as Zenit and Porto remain second and third respectively.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Borussia Dortmund 0 Arsenal 1

7 November 2013

385362header.jpg

Aaron Ramsey gave Arsenal’s chances of UEFA Champions League progression a huge boost, scoring to secure a 1-0 win at Borussia Dortmund.

The Welshman headed home in the 62nd minute of the Group F clash with the Premier League club’s first attempt of the match, Arsenal having soaked up Dortmund pressure for much of the encounter.

Victory leaves Arsenal top of the group on nine points, while Dortmund - playing their 100th tie in the European Cup - slip out of the top two as a result of Napoli's win over basement club Marseille.

Jurgen Klopp made one enforced change from the side that stormed to a 6-1 Bundesliga victory over Stuttgart on Friday, with Mats Hummels (thigh) making way for Neven Subotic.

Arsenal, meanwhile, were unchanged from a 2-0 victory over Liverpool that sent them five points clear at the top of the Premier League.

It was Subotic who had Dortmund’s first meaningful shot at goal, capitalising on a poor Aaron Ramsey clearance from a Marco Reus free-kick to hook narrowly wide of Wojciech Szczesny’s right-hand post.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan spurned the best chance of the first half eight minutes from the interval as he guided the ball wide of the left-hand post from the edge of the penalty area after receiving the ball from Jakub Blaszczykowski.

Szczesny was called into action early in the second half as Reus got on the end of a cross from the right and forced the goalkeeper into a diving save amid some questionable marking.

Reus had the ball in the back of the net a couple of minutes later as the hosts began to find holes in the Arsenal defence. Szczesny made a superb save from Blaszczykowski, before Reus pounced on the rebound only to be deemed offside by the assistant referee.

Klopp compared Arsenal's style of play to a symphony orchestra in the build-up to this match, while stating a preference for his own brand of heavy-metal football, but Dortmund were left singing the blues as Ramsey put the London club ahead with their first chance of the match.

Mesut Ozil chipped a wonderful ball into the penalty area and Olivier Giroud got his head to it before Ramsey provided the decisive touch, nodding beyond Roman Weidenfeller.

The Welshman went close to doubling the visitors' lead four minutes later but was denied by an improvised Weidenfeller save, and Nuri Sahin was forced to clear off the line from the resulting corner.

As Arsenal suddenly stepped up a gear, Per Mertesacker was next to go close, cushioning a header narrowly over the Dortmund crossbar.

Robert Lewandowski headed over in the dying minutes, but Arsenal held on for maximum points.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Napoli 3 Marseille 2

7 November 2013

385365header.jpg

Gonzalo Higuain scored twice as Napoli claimed a 3-2 come-from-behind win over Marseille in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

Napoli moved a step closer to qualifying for the round of 16 with the win – their third from four Group F matches – at the Stadio San Paolo.

Andre Ayew headed Marseille into an early lead but they were pegged back by a stunning strike from Gokhan Inler.

Inler's left-footed volley from 20 yards was followed up by Higuain's first, a fierce strike from inside the area, and although Florian Thauvin levelled for the visitors, the Argentina international had the telling final say.

Higuain's tap-in with 15 minutes left saw Napoli move to second in their group, three points ahead of Dortmund, while the result dashed Marseille's unlikely hopes of reaching the next stage.

Benitez made four changes to his Napoli side, with the likes of Inler and Dries Mertens coming in as Marek Hamsik dropped to the bench, while Marseille introduced Andre Ayew and Benoit Cheyrou.

Marseille – who entered the match on the back of a six-match winless streak - were nearly behind after just six minutes as Mertens curled just wide when sent through by Jose Callejon, but it was the French side who would take the lead four minutes later.

Andre Ayew was the scorer, rising highest to nod Thauvin's corner past Pepe Reina, and with no player on the far post, Benitez was unhappy with his side's organisation.

The hosts responded strongly though, Mertens forcing Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda into a diving save, before Inler levelled in superb circumstances in the 22nd minute.

A corner – which initially saw Raul Albiol's header well saved – was not properly cleared and fell to Inler who controlled on his chest 20 yards out before lashing a left-footed volley into the bottom-right corner.

And Napoli took the lead just two minutes later when Higuain also thumped a volley past Mandanda.

Callejon crossed for Goran Pandev, his header across the face of goal was not dealt with by defender Souleymane Diawara and the ball fell kindly for the striker who scored with a powerful effort.

Jordan Ayew had a half-chance for Marseille before Higuain poked just wide with five minutes remaining as Napoli finished the first half well.

Marseille improved significantly after the break with Thauvin shooting wide twice, while Dimitri Payet did the same after a mazy run.

Thauvin drew them level in the 64th minute though, stealing in behind Pablo Armero to convert Payet's cross.

Parity lasted just 11 minutes as Higuain scored again, with Mertens' clever cross easily tapped in by the striker at the far post.

Napoli substitute Lorenzo Insigne hit the post with a curling strike but three goals were enough as they posted their fifth win in a row in all competitions.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Ajax 1 Celtic 0
7 November 2013

385367header.jpg

Lasse Schone kept Ajax's UEFA Champions League hopes alive as they gained revenge over Celtic 1-0 at the Amsterdam ArenA.

A fortnight ago Schone came off the bench to net a late consolation as the Scottish champions claimed a 2-1 Group H win at a raucous Celtic Park.

Another frustrating evening appeared to be in store for Frank de Boer's men after Celtic repelled wave after wave of first-half attacks, but Schone claimed the breakthrough with a wonderfully crafted 51st-minute goal.

A second is often necessary for Ajax but a first Champions League clean sheet in 11 attempts means they are now a point behind second-placed Milan with two games remaining.

De Boer dropped winger Viktor Fischer in favour of Davy Klaassen, while Celtic welcomed back key man Kris Commons from a hamstring injury.

Off colour both at home and abroad so far this season, the defending Dutch champions began what had been billed as a must-win assignment on the front foot, and Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster was forced to make a sharp save from Stefano Denswil's free-kick.

Forster then demonstrated again just why he is being spoken about as a potential first-choice for England with a magnificent reaction stop to claw away Siem de Jong’s 17th-minute header from Ricardo van Rhijn's cross.

Georgios Samaras neglected his defensive duties down the Celtic left on that occasion and the Greece forward was booked for a foul on Thulani Serero two minutes later, Forster holding on well as Denswil's resulting attempt zipped through the wall.

More stubborn defensive efforts from open play meant Ajax departed for half-time frustrated.

In the 50th minute, Beram Kayal spurned a rare Celtic opportunity, blazing wildly over at the end of a driving run, and he was soon rueing his profligacy.

Having previously failed to find an incisive pass, Ajax strung together a slick one-touch move to break the deadlock – Schone exchanging passes with De Jong and Serero before slotting the latter's backheel past Forster.

Anthony Stokes drew a first save of the night from Jasper Cillessen as Celtic sought a quick response but they were almost 2-0 down in the 56th minute when Forster misjudged Schone's inswinging corner and Emilio Izaguirre headed off the line.

James Forrest then failed to make the most of a two-on-one counter-attack situation in Celtic's favour before Serero forced another last-ditch block from Izaguirre inside the Celtic box.

Forster denied De Jong at the end of a bustling run and Ajax ended the strongest, with Denswil heading against the post.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Basel 1 Steaua Bucharest 1
7 November 2013

385366header.jpg

Giovanni Sio netted in injury time to keep Basel’s UEFA Champions League hopes alive with a 1-1 draw against Steaua Bucharest on Wednesday.

The 24-year-old, who had entered the field 21 minutes into the second half, dived onto a ball from Valentin Stocker in the dying stages to tap past Steaua goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu and rob the Romanians of three points.

Sio's goal came somewhat against the run of play with Steaua managing to pacify the hosts' threat for large periods after going ahead through Federico Piovaccari in the 17th minute.

The Italian notched his first goal in Group E after getting on the end of a fine ball from Lukasz Szukala to go one-on-one with Basel keeper Yann Sommer and fire home.

Murat Yakin made just the two changes from his Basel side's 1-1 league draw at Aarau last weekend, with Fabian Schar favoured over fellow youngster Arlind Ajeti while Stocker replaced Mohamed El Nenny.

Steaua coach Laurentiu Reghecampf, in contrast, opted to switch things up drastically from their previous Liga 1 match with forward pair Adrian Popa and Piovaccari two of the six additions.

The home side enjoyed the better chances of the opening spell, and Matias Delgado had a fine chance to put them ahead after 11 minutes with a free-kick from just outside the box, but he curled over the crossbar.

And they were made to rue that missed opportunity just six minutes later when Szukala's fine ball up field picked out the unmarked Piovaccari perfectly for the 29-year-old to race through and easily beat keeper Sommer.

Basel tried to respond immediately, and only a good save from Tatarusanu denied them an equaliser after 25 minutes as Mohamed Salah raced down the wing before seeing his square pass cut out.

The half then came to an end with a golden chance for Steaua as Sommer parried a close-range effort directly towards Florin Gardos, but the 25-year-old defender lofted his shot over the crossbar.

The break appeared to serve the hosts well though, and they came very close to pulling the game back level in the 61st minute as Fabian Frei's powerful shot from range was tipped over by the keeper.

Basel then maintained the pressure on their opponents but the final ball continued to evade them, with newcomer Sio smashing straight into Tatarusanu, shortly before Stocker's cross into the box was also blocked.

The visitors threatened to double their advantage in the final minutes too, but there was relief as Cristian Tanase fired his shot directly into Sommer.

They were eventually rewarded for the pressure in the dying stages of injury time though as Sio got on to the end of a fine ball from Stocker to fire home and ensure his team earned a point from the encounter.

Basel will now hope to go one better when they continue their campaign against Chelsea on November 26, while Steaua's hopes of going through are now slim at best.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

BSkyB pays heavy price for Champions League loss

Reuters
November 12, 2013, 2:31 am
By Kate Holton and Keith Weir

image.jpg

Bayern Munich’s Arjen Robben is seen celebrating with the trophy after defeating Borussia Dortmund in their Champions League Final. For BSkyB, the loss raises the likelihood that it will have to pay more for future content deals, including the next Premier League auction which is expected to be held in 2015 for the three seasons from 2016. Photograph: Reuters/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - BSkyB saw more than 1.5 billion pounds wiped off its stock market value on Monday after Rupert Murdoch's pay-TV group was beaten at its own game with the loss of Champions League football rights.

Shares in the British group, which had previously seen off three major challengers to its dominance of the home movies and sports market, tumbled more than 10 percent after it suffered its first major rights auction loss to once-staid telecoms company BT .

The 168-year-old former state telecoms group agreed to pay 900 million pounds, or more than double the previous contract with BSkyB and ITV , to add mid-week ties featuring top European teams such as Barcelona, Manchester United and Bayern Munich to the English Premier League matches it already shows.

For BSkyB, the loss raises the likelihood it will have to pay more for future content deals, including the next Premier League auction which is expected to be held in 2015 for the three seasons from 2016.

It also leaves BSkyB suddenly looking vulnerable in a market it helped to build.

"It is hard to see how this does not signal a British crossing of the Rubicon and the end of peaceful co-existence in the UK telecom and TV worlds," analyst Robin Bienenstock at brokerage Bernstein said.

BT, which has spent years slashing costs and cutting staff after two profit warnings in 2008 and 2009, stunned the sporting world last year when it won the rights to show 38 live Premier League matches a season.

While the new entrant to the market remained a minnow in comparison to BSkyB and its 116 games, the move was an early indication of how BT was willing to spend big to protect its core broadband and fibre services by combining it with an offer of high-quality sports programming.

The move mirrored that of Murdoch's Sky, which built up its business to broadcast in more than 10 million homes by outbidding rivals such as ITV and the BBC for the best sports and movies.

Sky will keep hold of the rights to Formula 1, golf and the most important cricket competitions, including the Ashes, and is likely to increase its investment in original British drama and U.S. programming such as Dexter and Boardwalk Empire.

The group, which has posted a near 130 percent rise in earnings per share in the last four years, said Champions League football only made up 3 percent of its total viewing on Sky Sports and said it would rather invest in a different range of programming than overpay for football.

"We are no longer the Sky of 20 years ago," a source at the company said.

A more than 10 percent fall in BSkyB's share price puts the group on course for its biggest one-day fall in almost five years.

HEAVY PRICE

With annual revenue of more than 18 billion pounds and a market value of 29 billion pounds, BT is also in a completely different league to the three previous groups that had tried to challenge BSkyB - ITV Digital, Ireland's Setanta and ESPN.

Analysts downgraded their forecasts for BSkyB, fearing a hike in content costs and a slowdown in the rate of broadband subscribers Sky could sign up.

By offering its sports channels for free as part of a broadband package, BT was targeting those Sky TV customers who had been switching their broadband service to Sky in droves.

With BT's sports service only launched in August, it has already shown the early impact of its new strategy when it published first-half results in October showing consumer revenue up 4 percent, its best performance in 10 years.

It has signed up 2 million customers to its sports service which is available in another 2 million homes due to a wholesale deal with Virgin Media .

The news of the deal also hit shares in Britain's biggest free-to-air broadcaster ITV, which currently has the right to show one live Champions League match a week, while BT stock was up 0.3 percent.

The last time an English club reached the final of the Champions League, when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich on penalties in 2012, more than 10 million people tuned in to watch the end of the game on ITV1.

The deal could be bad news for armchair sports fans who will likely pay a higher price to watch teams like Manchester United and Arsenal, as BT is expected to charge subscribers for Champions League coverage. One option would be to set up a premium sports service to carry the matches.

It is however good news for football clubs which will benefit from the increased prize money passed down by the broadcaster, at a time when they are facing regulatory pressures to curb their losses or risk exclusion from European competition.

"One thing is for sure, unless you are happy to pay the extra for a BT channel on your Sky box, there will either be a wave of customers switching allegiance or thousands of UK football fans looking for a new hobby on Tuesday and Wednesday nights," said analysts at CMC Markets.

(Editing by David Holmes and Erica Billingham)