• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Evans and Rafael out of Real Sociedad clash, confirms Moyes

336836_heroa.jpg

By Sam Williams8
Nov 4, 2013 6:50:00 PM

The Manchester United boss says that the pair, who were among several injuries during the Red Devils' 3-1 win over Fulham, have not travelled for their Champions League test

Jonny Evans and Rafael have been ruled out of Manchester United's Champions League trip to Real Sociedad on Tuesday.

The defenders picked up back and ankle injuries, respectively, in the first half of the Red Devils' 3-1 Premier League victory at Fulham on Saturday, while midfielder Tom Cleverley also had to be withdrawn at the break with double vision.

However, while the Englishman has recovered to make the trip to the Basque Country, manager David Moyes confirmed on Monday that Evans and Rafael have been left behind in Manchester.

"We haven't had a lot of injuries - I think it's the best Manchester United have been in that respect for a while," the Scot told reporters, "but we did pick up three on Saturday, which is very rare - especially by half-time.

"Two of them haven't travelled, Jonny Evans and Rafael, so they're not with us."

United sit top of Group A with seven points from their three games and beat Sociedad 1-0 in October's reverse fixture at Old Trafford.

The Premier League title holders are also on a seven-match unbeaten run in all competitions - a streak which Moyes is keen to extend at Anoeta.

Sociedad prop up the pool having lost all three of their matches so far, although the United boss is taking nothing for granted ahead of Tuesday's clash as he seeks to reach the 10-point mark widely regarded as the threshold needed to ensure qualification.

"I feel we're playing better and getting some good results to go with it," he added. "Long may that continue.

"I have a lot of respect for Sociedad. We have to play well if we’re going to get those 10 points, which will get us over the line. We've got ourselves into a good position in the group and we have to try to maintain that."

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte turns up heat on referees

336725_heroa.jpg

By Chris Kvesa88
Nov 4, 2013 3:39:00 PM

The Juventus boss was unhappy with officiating in their Champions League encounter with Real Madrid and expects the standard of refereeing to improve on matchday four

Juventus coach Antonio Conte is turning up the heat on referees as he says despite the controversial encounter with Real Madrid he is willing to keep his faith in officials.

The Bianconeri boss was left bemused on Champions League matchday three when Real Madrid received a penalty and defender Giorgio Chiellini was later dismissed in the 2-1 defeat to Madrid.

Manuel Grafe, the referee at the Santiago Bernabeu in that game, has reportedly since been dropped from officiating in matches of this significance, and Conte hopes for an improvement in refereeing when the sides meet at Juventus Stadium on Tuesday.

"Refereeing decisions affected the game in the first tie. But referees make mistakes like everyone does," the 44-year-old told a press conference.

"We need to think about playing football and maintaining our confidence in the referees that we're assigned."

English official Howard Webb will be in charge of the match that is of crucial importance to Juve's Champions League ambitions.

The Serie A champions have taken two points from their opening three games in Group B and know another loss to Madrid on Tuesday could jeopardise their chances of making it through to the last 16.

"There's great fascination surrounding this fixture, Juve against Real is a historic tie in European football," Conte continued.

"It's a great tie that's important for our progress in the Champions League. We need to be proud that we're involved in a game like this.

"We can also change things as the game progresses. What counts more, however, is the desire we show on the night.

"We approach the game following three league wins and need to show that we deserve to go through to the knockout stages."

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

FCK's Solbakken expects close Galatasaray match

Published: Monday 4 November 2013, 18.46CET

Ståle Solbakken predicts a "tight affair with few chances" as FC København host a Galatasaray AŞ side deprived of Wesley Sneijder and goalkeeper Fernando Muslera.

by Pelle Rasmussen
from Copenhagen

St%C3%A5le-Solbakken.jpg

FC København coach Ståle Solbakken is anticipating a game decided by slender margins when his team host Galatasaray AŞ in UEFA Champions League Group B.

The Danish title holders – bottom of the section with one point – were overwhelmed 3-1 in Istanbul on matchday three and must stay on their guard to avoid a similar fate according to Solbakken. His counterpart Roberto Mancini, meanwhile, declared that "anything is possible" with his injury-depleted side two points clear of Juventus in the race for second.

• FCK will exit the competition with a defeat.

København
Ståle Solbakken, coach

I am certain the game will be a tight affair with few chances for either side. I will be extremely disappointed if there is a significant gulf in class between the two teams as there was in Istanbul. Galatasaray's first-half performance was the best I've seen them play this season. In Istanbul, the first 20 to 25 minutes killed us. We surrendered possession in dangerous areas. That is now in the past, however, and we need to get back to what we do best.

A few players may be asked to play in different positions tomorrow. The formation is something I will sleep on. Maybe a player will score in my dreams and therefore start, or I'll have a nightmare and he will be on the bench. Losing [Wesley] Sneijder is a big blow for them, but I watched their last match and they did very well after he went off. We need to concentrate on our own game and be disciplined in defence.

Weekend result

Saturday: København 4-0 FC Nordsjælland (Vetokele 52 56, Jørgensen 67p 72)
Wiland, Jacobsen, Sigurdsson, Mellberg, Bengtsson, Delaney, Claudemir, Gislason (Bolaños 73), Braaten (Toutouh 73), Vetokele (Santin 79), Jørgensen.

• Solbakken's charges strolled to a commanding win to climb into fourth in Denmark's Super League yet remain seven points shy of leaders FC Midtjylland.

Team news
Coach Solbakken has a full complement of players at his disposal.

Galatasaray
Roberto Mancini, coach

Tomorrow's match will be very difficult for us. København have a good coach in Solbakken. We were in a difficult position following the 6-1 defeat against Real Madrid [on matchday one] but now we are alive. This is a tough group but anything is possible. Eray İşcan is a young goalkeeper but I trust him, as I do all my players.

It will be a different game from the one in Istanbul because København are strong at home. I have been here for five weeks and it's impossible to change everything in such a short period of time. I am very happy with my players, who are working hard and improving all the time. Juventus and Real Madrid are favourites to progress but I believe we can go through.

Weekend result
Friday: Galatasaray 2-1 Konyaspor (Drogba 45, Burak 67; Recep 16)
Muslera; Sabri, Chedjou, Semih, Eboué; Burak, Melo, Selçuk, Sneijder (Emre 8) (Ceyhun 88); Drogba, Umut (Aydın 62).

• Burak Yılmaz scored his 99th Super League goal for Cimbom as they gained their first Friday win of the season. Coach Mancini has fielded a different defensive quartet in every match since taking charge.

Team news
Goalkeeper Fernando Muslera (broken toe) and midfielder Sneijder (thigh) both sustained injuries on Friday and will play no part in Copenhagen. Eray, who underwent a knee operation last September, will deputise for Muslera. Aurélien Chedjou will undergo a late fitness test, but Hakan Balta (knee), Gökhan Zan (thigh) and Ufuk Ceylan (groin) remain on the treatment table.

Match fact
• FCK are unbeaten at home in the group stage, recording four wins and three draws to date. However, Galatasaray are returning to the stadium where they beat Arsenal FC on penalties to win the 2000 UEFA Cup.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Olympiacos staying grounded for Benfica visit

Published: Monday 4 November 2013, 19.52CET

Olympiacos FC coach Míchel warned his side against the dangers of complacency as they seek to consolidate second spot in Group C at home to closest pursuers SL Benfica.

by Paris Ayiomamitis
from Athens

2004255_w2.jpg

Míchel urged his Olympiacos players to remain grounded

The Greek title holders drew 1-1 in the corresponding fixture to remain above third-placed Benfica by virtue of a superior goal difference, and their Spanish coach would be content with a similar performance. By contrast, Benfica boss Jorge Jesus is striving for improvement from the visitors after putting in the hard yards in training.

Olympiacos
Míchel, coach

We must avoid being over-confident. All we have to do is follow the same path as we did in Lisbon and [get a] win. We are only thinking about the present, though, and not the future. We start from scratch tomorrow and will do all we can to come away with three points. We want to show some passion after recording a decent result in Lisbon.

We are up against a club with a great history and must not think ourselves as favourites. We have worked a lot on set pieces and can't afford to switch off. We must be completely focused and play as a team. [Kostas] Mitroglou is a very important player for us and we are relying on him.

Weekend result

Saturday: Panathinaikos 0-1 Olympiacos (Mitroglou 90)
Roberto; Salino, Manolas, Siovas, Holebas; Maniatis, Samaris; Campbell (Yatabaré 61), Saviola (Weiss 66), Fuster (N'Dinga 90+2); Mitroglou.

• In-form Mitroglou was the derby hero and now has 13 goals in nine league matches. It stretched Olympiacos's unbeaten run away from home in the league to 27 games, two off their own Greek record of 29 set between 1972 and 1974.

Team news
Michael Olaitan picked up a hamstring injury on Wednesday and is expected to return after the upcoming international break. On the other hand, Gaëtan Bong (right foot and left hamstring), Paulo Machado (knee) and Alejandro Domínguez (thigh) all came through training on Sunday.

Benfica
Jorge Jesus, coach

There are no favourites as both teams have similar strengths. It's not the first time we'll be playing in front of a passionate crowd – we do it regularly in Portugal. Each match is different but we'll play to win tomorrow. We'll reinforce our midfield like we've been doing recently.

To win, we'll have to play better than we did in Lisbon and apply what we've been working hard on in training. We dream of playing in the Champions League final especially given that it's in Lisbon. Perhaps there are teams whose dreams have more credibility than ours, though.

Weekend result
Friday: A. Académica de Coimbra 0-3 Benfica (Cardozo 34, Marcelo Goiano og 36, Marković 86)
Artur; Pereira, Luisão, Garay, Cortez; Matić, Cavaleiro (Marković 64), Pérez, Gaitán; Lima (Amorim 74), Cardozo (Rodrigo 90).

• Benfica kept a second straight clean sheet in the league for the first time this season at a venue where they have not lost since December 1973.

Team news

• Guillherme Siqueira missed the match against Académica due to a problem with his left thigh but should be OK to face Olympiacos.

Match fact
• Javier Saviola spent three seasons with Benfica from 2009 to 2012, winning the Portuguese title in 2009/10 and the League Cup three times. In 122 matches he scored 39 goals.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vrba acknowledges gulf in class as Bayern visit

Published: Monday 4 November 2013, 20.08CET

Pavel Vrba admitted that even a vastly improved FC Viktoria Plzeň performance might not be enough to halt an FC Bayern München side eyeing early qualificiation.

by Ondřej Zlámal
from Plzen

2018679_w2.jpg

Dante and Franck Ribéry training with Bayern on the eve of the game

FC Viktoria Plzeň coach Pavel Vrba said he would like to "change just about everything" about his side's 5-0 defeat at FC Bayern München when the teams meet again on Tuesday night. However, he acknowledged that even that might not be enough against one of the "best teams in the world". As for holders and Group D leaders Bayern, their coach Josep Guardiola is still striving for more. "I can see a chance for us to qualify for the knockout stage," he said.

• Bayern are through with a win if PFC CSKA Moskva do not beat Manchester City FC. A draw is enough for Bayern if City win. Plzeň are out if they draw and City win, or if they lose and City do not.

Plzeň
Pavel Vrba, coach

We have shown the players the video from our game against Bayern twice. First I talked about the match itself, then the second time I wanted them to watch their performances and see what is needed to improve. I have seen six or seven Bayern games, not only the one against Hoffenheim. They have been playing fantastic football, and they won even when they were behind against strong opponents. They've proved that they belong among the best teams in the world.

We would like to change virtually everything about our performance in Munich, but the question is whether or not we have the quality to do it. Just remember the score Bayern recorded last season against Barcelona. We are going to try to do as much as possible to make it harder for them. We might change our tactical lineup, and make it a bit more of an attacking formation as we are going to play at home and be more active on the ball, but of course the question is whether it will be enough.

To play against Bayern or Manchester City is a holiday for us, and also for our fans, the whole city and Czech football. It is a reward for our victories in the qualifying rounds. But now we run into clubs that are of a much higher quality. It is prestigious for us and we are fully aware of the possibilities of our club [compared with] the biggest clubs in the world.

[Arjen] Robben is not here, but I would have been happier if [Franck] Ribéry had not turned up. He was so fantastic in the first game, his performance three weeks ago was simply unbelievable, he was unstoppable.

Weekend result
Saturday: Plzeň 6-1 FK Jablonec (Horváth 16pen 68, Tecl 23pen 45, Kolář 55, Wágner 86; Piták 11)
Kozáčik; Rajtoral, Čišovský, Procházka, Řezník; Hubník; Horváth (Pospíšil 87), Hořava; Petržela, Ďuriš, Kolář (Bakoš 80); Tecl (Wágner 74).

• After two straight league draws and 226 minutes without a goal, Plzeň returned to winning ways in emphatic fashion to move up to second, seven points behind AC Sparta Praha.

Team news
David Limberský, who has recovered from a thigh injury, was out with a sore throat on Saturday and is a doubt. "The chance of Limberský starting the match tomorrow is about 2%," said Vrba.

Bayern
Josep Guardiola, coach

Every game in the Champions League is dangerous because every opponent you come up against in this competition has experience. Plzeň won 6-1 in the league at the weekend and are on good form, but I can see a chance for us to qualify for the knockout stage.

There is always something to improve on, even in the games that we win, and we still want to get better. We have been at the very top and won everything, but that means we have to work even harder to maintain our position.

Bastian Schweinsteiger has helped the team a lot recently because he is in excellent shape. In the last game, against Hoffenheim, he played really well − I was very satisfied with him. He is improving a lot but has problems with his ankle.

It is always a challenge if you can break a record and you always make the effort to. We know about it [the chance to equal the competition's longest winning sequence], but we will put this to one side when we go on to the pitch. It is a bit more motivation for us − it is in my mind a bit − but we have to concentrate on the game itself. We hope to win it.

Weekend result
Saturday: TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Bayern (Süle 34; Mandžukić 39, Müller 75)
Neuer; Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Alaba; Javi Martínez, Götze (Rafinha 80), Schweinsteiger, Müller, Ribéry; Mandžukić (Kroos 64).

• Ribéry set up both goals for Bayern's third straight comeback league win. They have equalled Hamburger SV's 31-year-old record of 36 unbeaten Bundesliga games in a row. Ribéry himself is undefeated in 40 straight league fixtures (a record) and 51 competitive matches.

Team news
Robben is out with a groin injury. Jérôme Boateng is back after suspension while Javi Martínez is available after returning to action at Hoffenheim.

Match fact
• Bayern have won their last eight UEFA Champions League games and need one more victory to equal FC Barcelona's competition record of nine set in 2002/03.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ajax no worse than Celtic - De Boer

331118_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu2
Nov 5, 2013 3:47:00 PM

The Dutch giants lost to the Bhoys a fortnight ago but their coach is certain that they will give a better account of themselves on home soil on Wednesday

Ajax coach Frank de Boer believes his side proved that they are not a worse team than Celtic during their 2-1 loss in Glasgow a fortnight ago.

The Dutch champions are on a poor run of form and currently sit bottom of Champions League Group H, with just one point from their opening three games.

However, the former Netherlands international believes they have a good chance of victory in their return clash with Celtic at the Amsterdam ArenA on Wednesday.

"I think we showed last time that we aren't a worse side than them," De Boer said at a press conference.

"This time we have our fans supporting us and we do have a good chance of winning, but maybe it will be even closer than at Celtic.

"We aren't taking enough points at the moment - Ajax and the fans are used to taking three points, so of course people are disappointed.

"Many good things are happening at Ajax, but ultimately it is all about results, and they can be improved. I think we're heading in the right direction but we need to get more points."

Scotland boss Gordon Strachan claimed that Ajax were like a team of "rookies" in the wake of the Parkhead but De Boer refused to wade into an argument.

"It's a nice expression from him. But it's said in a certain context and now everybody takes it seriously," he mused.

"Celtic can have a lot of confidence, because they had some good results in the past years, even against Barcelona."

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dortmund must take their chances against Arsenal, insists Reus

297715_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman6
Nov 5, 2013 3:31:00 PM

The 24-year-old attacker is expecting goal-scoring opportunities to be at a premium at Signal Iduna Park, while Die Schwarzgelben have been boosted by the return of Sebastian Kehl

Borussia Dortmund striker Marco Reus routed Stuttgart last Friday but he does not expect his team to have as many chances against Arsenal in their Group F clash in the Champions League on Wednesday night.

Therefore, the Germany international, who played his side’s 2-1 win over the Gunners at the Emirates in the reverse fixture two weeks ago, has urged his team-mates to take whatever openings they create at Signal Iduna Park.

“It will be extremely difficult and I don’t expect we’ll get as many opportunities as we did against Stuttgart,” Reus is quoted as saying by Ruhr Nachrichten.

Group F is very tight, with Napoli, Arsenal and Dortmund all on six points after the first three matches. A win on Wednesday would put breathing space between Die Schwarzgelben and Arsenal.

In addition, the Germans, who currently sit second in the Bundesliga, have also been given a boost ahead of the match after it was revealed that defender Sebastian Kehl has recovered from injury.

“I am ready to be in the squad again,” the 33-year-old announced on the eve of the game in Dortmund.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Raul: Madrid will have to be at their best to beat Juventus

226572_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman18
Nov 5, 2013 2:42:00 PM

The former Blancos captain believes the Liga giants could be in for a surprise if they don't play with 'great character' against the Bianconeri in Turin

Raul says Real Madrid must play as they did during "the last half hour against Barcelona" if they are to defeat Juventus in the Champions League on Tuesday night.

The legendary Blancos forward, who is currently plying his trade in Qatar with Al Sadd, believes that the Bianconeri have more than enough talent to upset his former side.

"[Madrid] will have to play like they did in the last half hour at Camp Nou against Barcelona [10 days ago],” Raul told Tuttosport.

“At that point, they showed great character and they made it difficult for our rivals in the league [before losing 2-1].”

Juventus knocked Madrid out at the quarter-final stage of the 1995-96 Champions League, but the Liga side got their revenge when they beat the Serie A outfit in the final two years later.

"They were our nemesis," Raul said of the rivalry between the two European giants. "We won the first leg of the 1995-96 quarter-final, but lost in the return.

“We were sad, but we managed to beat them (1-0) at the end of the 1997-98 season and lift the trophy.”

Raul believes that although the Old Lady don’t have attacking players of the calibre of Pavel Nedved or Alessandro Del Piero any more, they could still cause a shock as they have “great players like Carlos Tevez”.

The former Madrid captain, who made over 500 appearances for the club, concluded by stating his plans for the future.

“I’ll stay in football," the 36-year-old declared. "I have two options: return to work at Real Madrid or stay here (in Qatar), to help prepare for the 2022 World Cup.”

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Basel v Steaua Bucharest

4 November 2013

385123header.jpg

Basel and Steaua Bucharest will hope to take their league form into Wednesday's UEFA Champions League clash in Switzerland.

Both sides top their respective leagues after making superb starts to the season, with Murat Yakin's Basel having lost just one of their last 16 matches in all competitions.

That defeat came in the Champions League as Julian Draxler's second-half strike helped Schalke to a 1-0 win last month.

Basel sit third in Group E with four points from three matches, a 2-1 win at UEFA Europa League champions Chelsea in September providing the highlight of their campaign.

The hosts will enter the match on the back of a 1-1 draw at struggling Aarau on Saturday, with Marco Streller scoring a 93rd-minute equaliser for the Swiss outfit.

The result extended their unbeaten record on the road to 14 matches and the signs are looking good for Basel, who lead second-placed Grasshopper by two points.

Aiming for their fifth successive Swiss Super League title, the goals of Streller have been important.

The 32-year-old has netted seven in 11 league matches, while he also scored in the win over Chelsea.

Basel will have to reverse history if they are to be victorious in this encounter, having failed to win any of their four previous matches on matchday four of the Champions League group stage.

They have won two of their home matches against Romanian sides in the Champions League and claimed a 1-1 draw at Steaua last month.

Steaua needed a Leandro Tatu strike with just two minutes to play to give them a point and Basel will be determined to grab revenge.

Midfielder Valentin Stocker (groin) is a doubt after missing Saturday's draw, while defender Behrang Safari (thigh) will definitely miss.

Steaua, who sit bottom of Group E with just one point from their three matches, are three points clear in the Romanian top flight.

With nine victories and two draws, they are yet to taste defeat and Italian striker Federico Piovaccari has been in terrific form, scoring five times in seven league matches.

Piovaccari also netted in their 2-0 win over Poli Timisoara last week, a result that saw them qualify for the quarter-finals of the Romanian Cup.

While Steaua look well placed for a 25th Romanian title, they have little Champions League experience, with only midfielder Ionut Neagu and forward Pantelis Kapetanos having played in the competition before this season.

They have not won in four matches in Switzerland and are likely to be without midfielder Mihai Pintilii (muscle strain).

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Chelsea v Schalke

4 November 2013

385120header.jpg

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will seek an immediate response from his side when Schalke visit Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

The UEFA Champions League Group E clash gives Chelsea – the 2011-12 champions – a chance to bounce back from a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Newcastle United on Saturday.

Mourinho was furious with the effort from his players after the Premier League match, branding their performance 'too soft' as late goals from Yoan Gouffran and Loic Remy saw Newcastle triumph.

The Portuguese has promised to make changes for the visit of Schalke as Chelsea go in search of their 100th win in UEFA competition.

"I will make changes. Not 11 changes because that would be too much, but changes for sure," Mourinho told Chelsea's official website.

"I don't know my best team because we have this kind of performance (against Newcastle)."

Chelsea top Group E with six points from three matches, having bounced back well from a shock 2-1 home defeat to FC Basel in September.

That result represented Chelsea's first loss in 30 home group-stage fixtures, but the club have since recorded two comfortable victories on the road, including a 3-0 win at Schalke last month.

Fernando Torres scored twice in Gelsenkirchen before Eden Hazard added polish to the scoreline with a late goal.

Marco van Ginkel (knee) is the only injury absentee for Chelsea, who sit second in the Premier League - five points behind table-toppers Arsenal.

Schalke enter the match on the back of a 2-0 win at Hertha Berlin on Saturday, a result that lifted them to sixth in the Bundesliga table.

Adam Szalai and young star Julian Draxler scored the goals for Schalke, who are now unbeaten in their last seven away matches, with six of those finishing in wins.

Schalke enjoyed success on their previous visit to the English capital, defeating Arsenal 2-0 in October last year.

They sit second in Group E, behind Chelsea on goal difference alone, and will be eager to atone for events in the reverse fixture, which saw the club suffer their worst home loss in the Champions League.

Schalke fans are excited about the development of Max Meyer, who became the youngest player in Bundesliga history to score in three successive games last month aged 18 years and 38 days.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will be missing, however, after suffering a recurrence of his knee injury in training last month.

The Netherlands forward scored four goals in last season's Champions League, but will not play again this year.

Jefferson Farfan (groin), Marco Hoger (knee) and Chinedu Obasi (tibia) will also miss the trip to Chelsea, while Greek defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos (knee) is a doubt.

Papadopoulos played 90 minutes for Schalke's reserves on Saturday but the 21-year-old has not played a first-team game this season.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Borussia Dortmund v Arsenal
4 November 2013

385124header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund will aim for their eighth home UEFA Champions League win in a row when they take on Arsenal on Wednesday.

The much-anticipated Group F clash pits two of Europe's in-form teams against each other, with Dortmund hoping to continue their excellent record at Signal Iduna Park.

That statistic is not limited to the Champions League, with Dortmund - who sit second in the pool behind their visitors on goal difference - having won all eight of their home fixtures in all competitions this season.

Dortmund sit second in the Bundesliga - just one point behind reigning champions Bayern Munich - and have won their last four matches, including a 2-1 triumph at Arsenal last month.

Manager Jurgen Klopp is looking forward to taking on Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger again - a man he greatly admires, despite the two having different ideas on how football should be played.

"He is really something. I love him. He is Sir Arsene Wenger," Klopp said.

"I like (Arsenal's philosophy). I love it but I cannot coach it because I am a different guy. It is not my sport.

"I don't linking winning 80 per cent (of possession). Sorry, that is not enough for me. Fighting football, not serenity football, that is what I like."

Klopp - who signed a two-year contract extension last week, keeping him at the club until 2018 - will return to the touchline for this match after completing a two-game ban.

He will hope striker Robert Lewandowski continues his streak of form, with the Pole netting a hat-trick - his fourth for the club - in a 6-1 home win over Stuttgart on Friday.

Lewandowski also scored a late winner in Dortmund's victory over Arsenal last month.

Dortmund have never lost at home to an English side in the Champions League, winning four of seven previous matches.

They will be without club captain Sebastian Kehl (ankle), despite the midfielder returning to training, while Lukasz Piszczek (groin) and Ilkay Gundogan (back) will also miss out.

Premier League table-toppers Arsenal will enter the match full of confidence after a 2-0 home win over Liverpool on Saturday.

Arsenal won thanks to strikes from Santi Cazorla and Aaron Ramsey, with the latter having already scored 10 goals in all competitions this season.

Arsene Wenger's side are unbeaten in their last 14 away matches, with 12 of them being wins, and they have not lost in their last four visits to Germany in the Champions League.

Arsenal are competing in their 16th successive Champions League campaign and will be well-placed to reach the round of 16 if they can beat Dortmund.

But they will be without Theo Walcott (abdomen), Lukas Podolski (hamstring), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Abou Diaby (both knee), while young winger Serge Gnabry is struggling with an ankle injury.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Napoli v Marseille

4 November 2013

385130header.jpg

Napoli will look to inflict further misery on Marseille when the two sides meet at Stadio San Paolo on Wednesday.

Rafael Benitez's side have won two of their three UEFA Champions League Group F encounters but sit third, behind leaders Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund on goal difference.

In a match that could prove crucial in their hopes of reaching the round of 16, Napoli are heavy favourites to beat struggling Marseille.

The French side have lost all three of their Champions League fixtures and have slid to fifth in Ligue 1 after a dreadful run of form that has seen them fail to win any of their last six matches in all competitions.

However, Benitez - who won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 - believes Marseille's plight will make the fixture even tougher for his side.

"We have a strong team with a lot of character," Benitez said.

"I am convinced that tomorrow (Wednesday) we will show that on the pitch. It will be important for both teams to win, and we will make sure the result goes our way.

"Marseille have lost three games in a row (in the Champions League) so it will be even more difficult for us. They will want to show they can win the game, but we will show our determination. We are in the 'group of death' as we call it."

Napoli have not lost any of their five previous home games in the Champions League, winning four, and defeated Marseille 2-1 in France last month thanks to goals from Jose Callejon and Daniel Zapata.

Callejon has now scored eight goals in 12 appearances in Europe's premier club competition, with seven of them coming for former club Real Madrid.

Napoli have not lost a Serie A match at home in 2013, winning 14 of 16 encounters, and they defeated Bologna 2-0 on Saturday.

Miguel Angel Britos (collarbone) and Camilo Zuniga (knee) are on the sidelines for Benitez's men, though.

Marseille ended a five-match losing streak at Rennes on Saturday but needed goalkeeper Steve Mandanda to save a late penalty to earn a 1-1 draw.

Jordan Ayew scored his first league goal since January in that clash, but the pressure on manager Elie Baup has not eased, with Marseille having won just twice since the start of September.

They have kept just two clean sheets in the last two months and will need a miracle if they are to become just the second team ever to qualify from the group stages after losing their first three matches.

The feat was achieved by Newcastle United in the 2002-03 season but, in a group that also contains Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund, a repeat is unlikely.

Marseille will be without Lucas Mendes (ankle), while defender Rod Fanni (adductor) is unlikely to feature.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Atletico Madrid v Austria Vienna
5 November 2013

385138header.jpg

Atletico Madrid can seal a place in the round of 16 with victory over Austria Vienna in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

The La Liga high-flyers top Group G after winning their opening three matches and will enter the home fixture against their struggling opponents as red-hot favourites.

Atletico have won 11 of their 12 league fixtures this season, helping them to second place in the table, just one point behind Barcelona.

They sit five points ahead of city rivals Real Madrid, largely thanks to the form of forwards Diego Costa and David Villa.

Costa has been outstanding for Diego Simeone's side, scoring 15 goals in as many appearances in all competitions.

His latest effort - which came in Sunday's 2-0 home success against Athletic Bilbao, when Villa also scored to take his tally to seven - led Simeone to lavish him with praise.

"Diego is huge in every way," Simeone said. "On top of the goal he scored, he is growing as a player – he is more of a team player and helps us win the ball back.

"All of that makes the whole team play better. We hope he continues to grow because he's got many years ahead of him to get even better."

Costa missed the first two matches of this year's group stage due to a suspension incurred in last season's Europa League, but he scored twice in Atletico's 3-0 win at Austria Vienna last month.

Atletico have never won four consecutive matches in the Champions League and are aiming to qualify for the knockout rounds of the competition for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign.

Austria Vienna sit on the bottom of Group G with just one point from their three matches and the visitors' league form suggests an upset is highly unlikely.

Although they beat Wiener Neustadt 3-0 on Sunday in the Austrian Bundesliga, they are fifth after a dreadful run.

Head coach Nenad Bjelica – who will serve a touchline ban for the fixture – saw his side win just one of 12 matches before Sunday's triumph.

Their goalless draw against Zenit last month was the first Champions League point won by an Austrian side since 2001 and their inexperience is highlighted by the fact that just two of their players – strikers Tomas Jun and Roman Kienast – have played in Europe's premier club competition before this season.

Bjelica will be without Alexander Grunwald and Alexander Gorgon (both knee) and Marko Stankovic (muscular problem).

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Ajax v Celtic
4 November 2013

385095header.jpg

Ajax will be aiming to make amends for their worst start to a UEFA Champions League campaign when Celtic visit on Wednesday.

The Dutch champions have amassed one point from their opening three group games, courtesy of a home draw with Milan at the start of last month.

Never before have Ajax failed to win in their first three fixtures of the competition, although a victory at Amsterdam ArenA against Celtic will lift them above the Scottish club in Group H.

Frank de Boer's side do not head into the match in particularly impressive form, their only win in five outings coming against fourth-tier ASWH in the KNVB Beker.

Celtic defender Efe Ambrose anticipates a tough game in the Netherlands, but he believes all the pressure is on Ajax as the hosts look to move off the bottom of the group and avenge a 2-1 defeat when the two teams met in Glasgow a fortnight ago.

Ambrose said: "Going to Amsterdam is huge for us.

"It'll be a deciding game for us – every one we play from now on is crucial, a cup final, to make the last 16. We know what we're up against and we know we have to get everything right.

"It's important to believe we can do it and we're working hard to achieve our goals. We know we can't write Ajax off though. They played good football against us at home, but they didn't take their chances. We took ours.

"They're a good side but the most important thing is for us to keep our heads straight and stay focused because we know if we lose it's all over. We don't want to let that happen.

"We're comfortable going there now, even though it won't be easy. But they know they can't lose the game if they have any chance to qualify. The better team will win the game, but I believe we're the better team."

Neil Lennon's Celtic side have lost their last two European away matches, in the play-offs at Shakhter Karagandy and against Milan on matchday one, but the Scottish Premiership club did emerge 3-1 victors on their last visit to Amsterdam in 2001.

A 1-1 draw at home to Dundee United on Saturday saw Celtic extend their unbeaten start to the league season to 11 matches, their longest streak since 2003-04, while Ajax lost 1-0 to Vitesse Arnhem.

Lennon will be without the services of Adam Matthews (broken collarbone) and Steve Mouyokolo (Achilles), but Georgios Samaras, Kris Commons, Mikael Lustig, Teemu Pukki and Beram Kayal could all return to the starting line-up. Nir Biton is suspended following his red card against Ajax last month.

Bojan Krkic (hamstring), Niklas Moisander (knee) and Lerin Duarte (ankle) are expected to be unavailable for Ajax.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Barcelona v Milan

5 November 2013

385148header.jpg

Barcelona will aim to extend their 22-match unbeaten streak when they host Milan at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

The Catalan giants have made an excellent start to the season, topping La Liga with 11 wins from their 12 league fixtures while also leading the way in UEFA Champions League Group H with seven points from three games.

New head coach Gerardo Martino has not lost a match since taking over at Barcelona - the club's last defeat came to Bayern Munich in May - and they would move five points clear of Milan with a win on Wednesday.

Their recent form is in spite of a goal drought from Lionel Messi - who has scored just once, during the 1-1 draw at San Siro in last month’s reverse fixture with Milan, in his last five matches - but Martino is sure his star man will get back to his best soon.

"I continue to think the same about him," Martino said.

"It is difficult to do an individual analysis of a player in every single game, but Leo continues to be the most important player in a team replete with important figures.

"His manner of playing still offers us a huge amount and, if the team continues to win, you will see the best of our best players shortly."

Messi has still scored four goals in three UEFA Champions League fixtures this term, with the Argentinian netting a hat-trick on matchday one against Ajax.

That was his fourth Champions League treble - a feat no other player has achieved - and was his 24th hat-trick for Barcelona.

Barcelona have lost just one of their last 23 UEFA Champions League fixtures at home - that being the 3-0 reverse against Bayern in last season's semi-finals - while they have won 21 in a row at home in La Liga.

While Messi has not been among the goals in recent times, Chilean Alexis Sanchez has helped to fill the void, netting five in as many matches.

Jonathan Dos Santos suffered knee ligament damage last month and has been sidelined until next year, while Jordi Alba (hamstring), Ibrahim Afellay (thigh) and Isaac Cuenca (knee) are all long-term absentees.

Milan - who sit second in Group H with five points from three matches - have not won on their last five visits to Spain and suffered a 2-0 defeat to Fiorentina on Saturday, a result that saw them slide to 11th in the Serie A table.

Massimiliano Allegri's side are already 19 points behind table-toppers Roma and a repeat of last season's third-placed finish looks unlikely.

Milan have not won an away match this season, losing three and drawing four, and all signs point towards that trend continuing on Wednesday.

Defender Mattia De Sciglio (knee) made his first appearance since August last month, but attackers Stephan El Shaarawy (thigh) and Giampaolo Pazzini (knee) will be sidelined for some time.

Another defender, Daniele Bonera, is back in training following a knee injury, but is unlikely to feature in Spain.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League Preview: Zenit St Petersburg v Porto
5 November 2013

385139header.jpg

Zenit will hope to continue their unbeaten home record this season when they host Porto in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

Luciano Spalletti's side have not lost in all 10 of their home fixtures in all competitions, with seven of them ending in victories.

As a result, they sit three points clear at the top of the Russian Premier League, with the goals of Danny and Hulk crucial.

Midfielder Danny has netted 12 this season - already three times more than he scored last term - while ex-Porto forward Hulk has weighed in with nine, including two in the Champions League.

Zenit sit second in Group G and have already beaten one side from Portugal this season, toppling Pacos de Ferreira 8-3 on aggregate in the play-offs for Europe's premier club competition.

The result of this match will be vital in determining the outcome of the group, with Zenit and Porto set to battle it out for second place behind runaway leaders Atletico Madrid.

The Russian giants have never lost to a Portuguese side, winning four matches and drawing one, including a 3-1 win over Porto in the group stage of the 2011-12 competition.

Spalletti will demand more from his side than they have showed in their last two encounters though.

They were knocked out of the Russian Cup last week, defeated 2-0 at second-tier FC Tyumen in the round of 32, while they were held to a 1-1 league draw by Amkar Perm on Saturday.

They will take heart from their 1-0 win at Porto last month, though, with Aleksandr Kerzhakov's goal - which was scored with five minutes left - his 27th in Europe.

Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel will sit out the match through suspension, while Vyacheslav Malafeev has recovered from a calf injury but is unlikely to start.

Porto also top their league by three points, having posted seven wins and two draws from their first nine matches of the Primeira Liga season.

Paulo Fonseca's side were held to a 1-1 draw at Belenenses on Saturday, with Eliaquim Mangala's strike cancelled out by Joao Pedro.

Porto are taking part in their 18th UEFA Champions League campaign - only Manchester United have played in the tournament more times - and boast victories in four of their five trips to Russia in the competition.

They are unbeaten in an incredible 52 league matches, with their last defeat - which came against Gil Vicente in January 2012 - their only loss in their last 108 Primeira Liga matches.

Colombian Jackson Martinez topped the scoring charts in Portugal with 26 goals last term and he is in good form for Porto - who will miss the suspended Hector Herrera - again this season with nine strikes so far.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lennon: Ajax can be equal of Barcelona and Milan

Published: Tuesday 5 November 2013, 21.43CET

Celtic FC boss Neil Lennon admits he would be thrilled to get anything out of the trip to an AFC Ajax side capable of causing as many problems as Group H's top two teams.

by Rico Candido
from Amsterdam

2018963_w2.jpg

Ajax coach Frank de Boer at the pre-match press conference

Celtic FC manager Neil Lennon admitted he would be thrilled to get anything from their trip to AFC Ajax, playing down hopes among the Scottish champions' fans of building on their 2-1 win a fortnight ago. On their day the Amsterdam outfit are, Lennon says, a match for Group H's top two FC Barcelona and AC Milan; Ajax's Frank de Boer didn't go that far but is confident his team will move from one UEFA Champions League point to four on Wednesday.

Ajax
Frank de Boer, coach

I think we showed last time that we aren't a worse side than Celtic. This time we have our fans behind us and we do have a good chance of winning – but maybe it will be even closer than at Celtic.

We aren't picking up enough points at the moment – Ajax and the supporters are used to taking three points, so of course people are disappointed. I saw good things [in Glasgow] so I'm confident we can get three points here. Maybe for them a draw is enough so they will hold back a bit more than they did in Glasgow. We have to go for it and create chances.

Many good things are happening at Ajax, but ultimately it is all about results and these can be improved. I think we're heading in the right direction but we need to pick up some points.

Weekend result
Saturday: Ajax 0-1 Vitesse (Kazaishvili 90)
Cillessen; Van Rhijn, Veltman, Denswil, Blind; De Jong; Poulsen (Boilesen 69), Serero; Andersen (Klaassen 77), Sigthórsson, Fischer (Schöne 83).

• A last-minute goal consigned Ajax to defeat, their first home reverse since February. The Amsterdam outfit have lost three Eredivisie games this term, one more than in the whole of 2012/13.

Team news
Ruben Ligeon, out with a toe injury since 9 October, started against ASWH in the Dutch Cup last Tuesday but his return was cut short by an ankle problem and he sat out the Vitesse fixture. Bojan Krkić has not played since tearing his hamstring on 28 September, while Niklas Moisander (knee) and Lerin Duarte (ankle) have not featured since sustaining knocks on matchday two.

Celtic
Neil Lennon, manager

It's a crucial game for us if we have any aspirations of progressing. We know how difficult it will be despite Ajax's recent form. Ajax are favourites because they are at home. We will have to play close to our best to get something out of the game. We are under no illusions as to how difficult this match will be. We're all looking forward to playing here in this tremendous stadium.

It's very rare we've had Kris [Commons] and James [Forrest] in the same team at this level. They are two big players for us and we missed Kris [on matchday three], his creativity and goals. James and [Giorgios] Samaras are very quick and to have those three fit is a big incentive for us.

We were the outsiders [in the group] but we've played very well in the first three games and I hope we stay strong tomorrow. We always knew the double-header against Ajax would be pivotal for us and it's proving so. Ajax are as good as Barcelona and Milan on their day. They cause us as many problems as those teams and it will be the same tomorrow. It's the most important game because it's the next one. If we can get something I will be thrilled.

Weekend result

Saturday: Celtic 1-1 Dundee United FC (Mulgrew 90+1; Armstrong 38)
Forster; Fisher (Lustig 46), Ambrose, Van Dijk, Izaguirre; Forrest, Brown, Ledley (Boerrigter 71), Mulgrew; Baldé (Pukki 60), Stokes.

• Charlie Mulgrew struck a 91st-minute equaliser as Celtic extended their unbeaten Premier League run to 11 games – the longest since 2003/04.

Team news
Adam Matthews (broken collarbone) and Steven Mouyokolo (Achilles) are expected to skip the rest of the group stage. Lennon is confident that Samaras (knee) and Commons (hamstring) will be fit, while former Ajax winger Derk Boerrigter made his comeback from an ankle injury at the weekend.

Match fact
• Celtic are hoping to avoid a third successive European away defeat this season after losses at FC Shakhter Karagandy in the play-offs and Milan on matchday one.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Basel and Steaua not settling for a point

Published: Tuesday 5 November 2013, 20.47CET

Third and fourth in Group E, the FC Basel 1893 and FC Steaua Bucureşti camps are united in their ambitions for Wednesday's meeting in Switzerland: only a win will do.

by Cathia Roth
from St. Jakob-Park

2019054_w2.jpg

Basel coach Murat Yakin

Three points separate FC Basel 1893 and FC Steaua Bucureşti in UEFA Champions League Group E, but the sides are united by the thought that Wednesday's meeting in Switzerland is a must-win game. They drew 1-1 a fortnight ago and both coaches see plenty of room for improvement, the visitors' Laurenţiu Reghecampf highlighting attacking intent and ball retention and Basel's Murat Yakin calling for more poise in front of goal.

Basel
Murat Yakin, coach

We need to do better and do what we failed to do in Bucharest – to score. We want to win. We played well in Bucharest until the hour but didn't find the net and we hope to do better this time. We have been informed that Steaua have changed their tactics and we are prepared.

A draw is no good for either team. We both want to keep our Champions League hopes alive and both clubs have the quality to continue. Both teams need a win. There has been a lot of criticism of Basel lately but we are still in the Champions League, and in the Swiss league we are first, so I can imagine worse situations. The critics are looking from the outside in.

When our opponents have more possession, we tend to be well organised and focused, and we make the most of our opportunities. When we have a lot of possession, especially at home, we play much more defensively and we make it difficult for ourselves. This is what we have to change in our game, we have to correct this.

Weekend result
Saturday: FC Aarau 1-1 Basel (Hallenius 50; Streller 90+3)
Sommer; Voser (Pak 82), Ajeti, Ivanov, Xhaka; Frei, Salah, Elneny (Diaz 68), Serey Dié; Delgado (D Degen 69); Streller.

• Marco Streller's sixth top-flight goal of the campaign salvaged a point for Basel as they extended their unbeaten Super League run to nine games.

Team news
Valentin Stocker has shaken off the groin problem that forced him to join suspended duo Fabian Schär and Giovanni Sio on the sidelines at the weekend. Behrang Safari suffered a thigh injury on matchday three which may keep him out of the remainder of the group stage.

Steaua
Laurenţiu Reghecampf, coach

It is a very important match – we would like to win and we need to to stay in the Champions League. We saw in Bucharest that these are very difficult opponents – Basel played very well, they are a very strong team. We don't want to make the same mistakes we made in Bucharest. We will try to be more compact and attack more.

In previous seasons Steaua have played very well in the matches that really mattered, but the Champions League is a different level to the Europa League. Here the level is higher and the opponents are stronger, better organised. If we want to stay in the Champions League we have to invest more.

For us the national title is – like it is with Basel – very important and we would also like to win the cup. The Champions League is a bonus and we would like to advance beyond the group stage.

The Basel goal [in Bucharest] came from a defensive mistake. There is nothing we can do about that, but we also had very little possession so we have to try to keep the ball tomorrow, especially with Basel playing at home. We haven't lost yet in domestic competition and that shows we have good potential.

Weekend result
Saturday: ASC Corona Braşov 1-1 Steaua (Szukała og 15; Stanciu 70pen)
Tătăruşanu; Varela, Szukała (Stanciu 46), Gardoş; Chipciu, Filip, Bourceanu, Pîrvulescu; Tatu, Kapetanos (Nikolić 67), Tănase (Cristea 46).

• Leaders Steaua failed to win for the first time in seven Romanian First Division matches.

Team news
Mihai Pintilii has not played since matchday three because of a knock and Reghecampf says he is unlikely to start. However, after three games in ten days, the coach says he is poised to make a few changes to his starting XI.

Match fact
• This is the fourth successive season that Basel have been paired with Romanian opponents.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Chelsea know Schalke's away strength

Published: Tuesday 5 November 2013, 20.34CET

José Mourinho warned "3-0 in Germany at this moment means nothing" as Chelsea FC aim to avoid the home reverse they inflicted on FC Schalke 04 a fortnight ago.

by Jamie Reid
from London

2018902_w2.jpg

José Mourinho oversees Chelsea training

Having won 3-0 at FC Schalke 04 a fortnight ago to reduce fears of a second straight UEFA Champions League group stage exit, Chelsea FC hope to avoid a home defeat in Wednesday's rematch.

The two teams are level at the Group E summit, two points above FC Basel 1893, although José Mourinho is mindful of Schalke's away form and physicality. Schalke coach Jens Keller, meanwhile, knows the task they face despite the absence of the star performer in Gelsenkirchen, Fernando Torres.

Chelsea
José Mourinho, manager

Sometimes when you win a lot of times, players forget why they win. Probably they forgot why they won against Schalke, Arsenal and Man City. When you win and win and win – three, four, five matches – sometimes they forget. Maybe they think they win because they are good, but there are many other ingredients that make you a consistent winner.

Not just in the Bundesliga but in European competitions [Schalke] have very good results away – which means they feel much more comfortable playing away than at home. So that's a point and a clear point with statistics. The other situation is that they are a very physical team, which is not our case.

I don't know what they want from the group phase – if they are going to try everything to finish first, or if they are going to try to finish second and progress in the Champions League. I don't know if they come here to win the game clearly or if they come here just to get a point and be very defensive and try to qualify with that point plus the other two matches they have. So we have to be ready for both things, but for sure they are a difficult opponent and the result, 3-0 in Germany, means nothing.

Weekend result
Saturday: Newcastle United FC 2-0 Chelsea (Gouffran 68, Rémy 89)
Čech; Ivanović, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Ramires, Lampard (Schürrle 70); Mata (Willian 62), Oscar, Hazard; Torres (Eto'o 62).

• The west Londoners' six-match winning run and sequence of nine games unbeaten ended on Tyneside. Chelsea's haul of five points from their opening five away fixtures in the Premier League this season is their worst return since 2000/01.

Team news
Torres has been ruled out for the next week at least with what Mourinho called a "muscular injury", while left-back Ryan Bertrand is also unavailable having suffered an unspecified problem in training.

Schalke
Jens Keller, coach

It's not only difficult for German teams, it's difficult for any team. The main thing is that we don't want to concede an early goal. We have to concentrate. Obviously if we concede an early goal Chelsea can sit back and wait for us to come – so that's what we've got to try and avoid.

Of course it's very important – we haven't won yet against the 'big boys' and we know we have a very important game ahead of us here. We're not here just to be visitors, we know we need to take something from the game.

Of course it helps us that Torres is not available for Chelsea as he is a great player – but Chelsea have a lot of great players and I'm sure they'll be able to find someone that can adequately replace him.

Weekend result
Saturday: Hertha BSC Berlin 0-2 Schalke (Szalai 26, Draxler 90+4)
Hildebrand; Uchida, Höwedes, Matip, Fuchs; Neustädter (Jones 80), Aogo, Boateng (Felipe Santana 87), Meyer (Clemens 78), Draxler; Szalai .

• Schalke are seven matches unbeaten away from home, winning six, in all competitions.

Team news
Ádám Szalai (ear) and Roman Neustädter (ankle) were both taken off injured at the weekend yet are available tomorrow. Kyriakos Papadopoulos has also travelled having been out for a year with a knee ligament injury; he played for the reserves last week. Jefferson Farfán (Achilles), Chinedu Obasi (shin), Marco Höger and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (both knee ligament) are sidelined

Match fact
• The teams met in the 2007/08 group stage, with Chelsea 2-0 victors in London via goals from Florent Malouda (4) and Didier Drogba (47).