• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Courtois played key role in Chelsea's Champions League exit

397950_heroa.jpg

By Tom J Doyle
Apr 30, 2014 11:36:00 PM

The Belgian - who is on loan from the Blues - made a fine stop to deny John Terry before Diego Costa's penalty, which the Portuguese coach says decided the tie

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho praised the performance of Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois after watching his side dumped out of the Champions League in a 3-1 semi-final defeat on Wednesday evening.

Fernando Torres opened the scoring for the Blues at Stamford Bridge but goals from Adrian Lopez, Diego Costa and Arda Turan secured victory for Diego Simeone's side and sets up a final against neighbours Real Madrid in Lisbon.

Courtois - currently on loan at Atletico from Chelsea - made a fine stop to deny John Terry moments before Costa's decisive penalty kick, and Mourinho believes that crucial minute decided the tie.

"The game until a certain minute was very, very, very equal," he told Sky Sports.

"The first half was more ours than them but finished with a 1-1 which is a completely open result. And in the second half one minute decide everything.

"A minute where Atletico goalkeeper makes an impossible save for John Terry's header. And in the second minute it's a penalty that kills the game. I don't know if it's a penalty; I'm too far [away].

"That was the crucial minute. After that, 2-1 against Atletico is almost impossible. And after that there was only one team - a team with high morale knowing that with half an hour to go they have the game and the result."

There was speculation before the semi-final games that Courtois would be unable to play against his parent club due to a clause regarding a potential fee agreed between the sides, but Uefa announced on 11 April that any such clause in the Belgian’s contract with Chelsea was "null, void and unenforceable" during a Champions League fixture.

Atletico now have the opportunity to complete a Champions League and La Liga double, and will face city rivals Real in the final after Carlo Ancelotti's men demolished Bayern Munich 5-0 on aggregate on Tuesday.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I want to thank their mothers for giving them big balls' - Simeone lauds Atletico heroes

398018_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 1, 2014 12:54:08 AM

The Argentine was delighted with the character and spirit his side showed in beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, paying particular credit to young stars Koke and Thibaut Courtois

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has thanked his players' mothers "for giving birth to them with balls that big", after his side reached the Champions League final.

The Liga leaders beat Chelsea 3-1 at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday to set up a tournament decider against city rivals Real Madrid in Lisbon next month thanks to goals from Adrian Lopez, Diego Costa and Arda Turan.

Simeone could not hide his delight with the Rojiblancos' remarkable response to falling behind to Fernando Torres' opener and admitted he was thrilled to have given their travelling support something special to savour.

"It was a beautiful, important moment, but what makes me happier is to reach the final for the people who paid a lot of money to come here," the Argentine coach told Canal Plus. "The reaction of the team will remain in the memories of the fans.

"I want to thank the mothers of these players for giving birth to them with balls that big. It's not only about running, but being good tactically.

"Our first goal was important and the start of the second half was very good. I don't think it's an advantage or disadvantage [to face Real]. We know them from the league, they are a powerful club and are accustomed to these situations."

Koke put in a masterful display in midfield and Thibaut Courtois pulled off a sensational save from John Terry's header in the second half, and Simeone stressed his eagerness to see both players prolong their careers at the Vicente Calderon.

"Koke has improved enormously. He's ours, he wants to be at the club and has a great future ahead of him," he said, before adding: "The directors understand it's for the best for Courtois to stay."

Jose Mourinho was seen paying tribute to Simeone's efforts in the closing minutes at Stamford Bridge, and the former midfield admitted he was proud to receive words of praise from the former Madrid boss.

"I'm grateful for his words; he's a hardworking man who has coached the best teams. Now we have to think about Levante [in La Liga this weekend]," he warned.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho laments 'so many problems' for Chelsea

394231_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
May 1, 2014 8:14:00 AM

The Blues manager believes his team "can go home sad but with a clean face" after battling through injuries to put up a fight against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho lamented his side's injuries and tiredness after their loss to Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.

The Blues suffered a come-from-behind 3-1 loss at Stamford Bridge, which saw them bow out of the Champions League semi-finals by the same score on aggregate.

Mourinho praised his players for trying their best to be fit for the match but feels that there were too many problems for Chelsea to overcome.

"I said [on Tuesday] my players were ready and they wanted to be ready because they wanted to play, they wanted to help, because they know the situation where we were so close to the final but at the same time with so many problems," he told reporters after the game.

"So every one of my players tried the maximum and [Samuel] Eto'o was here almost without a training session. Oscar was on the bench and he was injured.

"We had so many problems but the players gave everything and I am happy with them. They can go home sad but with a clean face.

"They did their work, they lost the game but they lost against a very good team."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I never doubted Atletico, insists Cerezo

397998_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
May 1, 2014 9:15:07 AM

The club's president says he always remained confident Diego Simeone's men would turn things around at Stamford Bridge

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has insisted that he never had any doubts that his side would reach the Champions League final at the expense of Chelsea.

Diego Simeone's men fell 1-0 behind after 36 minutes of play when Fernando Torres found the net against his former team, but Adrian, Diego Costa and Arda Turan eventually helped Atleti to a 3-1 win at Stamford Bridge after drawing the first leg 0-0.

"It's been 40 years since this last happened and on May 24 we're going to be there, ready and raring to go," Cerezo was quoted as saying by Marca.

"I did not worry when Chelsea scored the first goal, because I was certain we were going to go through.

"I knew we were going to turn it around and that we would qualify."

Atletico resume La Liga action on Sunday when they take on Levante as they continue their quest for their first domestic title since 1995-96.

They currently hold a four-point lead over second-placed Barcelona with three games to go, while arch-rivals Real Madrid sit third on six points with a game in hand.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: Champions League final will be tight

398165_heroa.jpg

Peter Hanson
May 1, 2014 10:16:41 AM

The Madrid coach believes Diego Simeone's men were simply too strong for the Blues and expects the final later this month to be a close affair

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti says Atletico Madrid deservedly beat Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals and is anticipating a closely-fought encounter against their city rivals in the final at the end of the month.

Madrid secured their spot in the final with a 5-0 aggregate victory over holders Bayern Munich, while La Liga leaders Atleti duly followed suit by defeating Chelsea 3-1 over two legs and Ancelotti expects a tight encounter on May 24.

"Everyone in Madrid is happy and there are no favourites for the final," he told Sky Italia.

"Atletico deserve to be there, they were simply better [than Chelsea].

"Anyone who has been to a final knows there are no favourites. It will be a close game."

Ancelotti also insisted that he is relishing the prospect of a derby encounter, and is looking forward to the challenge of ending Madrid's long wait for Champions League success.

"I'm excited. I live in a world where you get to enjoy these positive moments. It's a great success getting to the Champions League final with Madrid after 12 years.

"I feel good. It's important because it allows you to see things in the right way. I don't have personal ambitions. I'm working at a club that's perhaps the biggest in the world."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hazard: Chelsea are not made to play football

397949_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
May 1, 2014 12:12:00 AM

The Belgian admitted chasing the game with the Rojiblancos defending in numbers was never likely to suit the Blues, raising fresh questions about his long-term future

Eden Hazard admitted Chelsea are "not made to play football" following Wednesday's exit from the Champions League at the hands of Atletico Madrid.

Jose Mourinho's men took the lead through Fernando Torres but goals from Adrian Lopez, Diego Costa and Arda Turan saw the Rojiblancos set up an all-Madrid final in Lisbon next month.

And after the match, Hazard suggested that chasing the game with Diego Simeone's men defending in numbers was never going to suit his side.

"I don't know what we lacked," the winger told beIN Sport. "After scoring, we had the game in our hands. Maybe they wanted it more than we did... It was an intense game. Beautiful to watch with opportunities.

"I'm sad but logic has been respected bacause they deserveed to qualify.

"Chelea is not made to play football. We're good on the counter, a little bit like Real against Bayern.

"We did it well tonight since we scored. But their goal hurt us before the break. We failed to make the difference in the second half.

"Often, I'm asked to do it all by myself and it's not easy. It was a complicated game. It will be a lesson for us regarding next year."
The comment is likely to raise further questions about the Belgian's long-term future at Stamford Bridge, with reigning Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain avowed admirers of his talents.

Hazard stoked the fire of speculation by donning a PSG shirt for an interview with Canal+ after Chelsea's 3-1 defeat to Laurent Blanc's men at the Parc des Princes earlier this month.

The 23-year-old also admitted in an episode of French documentary series Interieur Sport that he would have to consider a move to the French capital if his wife insisted on it.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Xabi Alonso will become the 22nd player to miss a Champions League final because of suspension... so who are the other 21 ( and Willian and David Luiz could yet join list)?

By Craig Hope
Published: 11:01 GMT, 30 April 2014 | Updated: 13:43 GMT, 30 April 2014

Head slumped, his frozen expression a betrayal of his regret and realisation, Real Madrid’s Xabi Alonso knew that he had sinned against himself.

A sliding tackle – both mistimed and needless – had sent Bayern Munich’s Bastian Schweinsteiger tumbling to the turf and, with it, went crashing Alonso’s own hopes of a third Champions League final appearance.

A third yellow card of the campaign automatically ruled him out of next month’s final against the victors of Wednesday night’s semi-final between Chelsea and Atletico Madrid; he will be the 22nd player in the history of the competition to suffer such heartache.

article-2616685-1D74FE5D00000578-239_634x413.jpg

Blow: Xabi Alonso will become the 22nd player to miss a Champions League final following his foul on Bayern Munich's Bastian Schweinsteiger (below) in the Allianz Arena

article-2616259-1D74A76C00000578-431_634x356.jpg

article-2616259-1D74A7E500000578-915_634x356.jpg

Devastated: Alonso (bottom) realises he will miss Real's first Champions League final since 2002

John Terry, Ramires and Branislav Ivanovic were all banned for the 2012 final when Chelsea’s penalty-shootout victory over Bayern Munich saw them claim their first Champions League trophy.

Here, Sportsmail runs you through the 22 players to have missed Champions League finals because of suspension…

1994 - AC Milan 4-0 Barcelona

Alessandro Costacurta and Franco Baresi (Milan)

1996 - Juventus 1-1 Ajax (Juventus win on penalties)

Michael Reiziger (Ajax)

1999 - Manchester United 2-1 Bayern Munich

Roy Keane and Paul Scholes (Man Utd)

article-2616685-0145747400000578-955_634x402.jpg

Suited: Paul Scholes and Roy Keane join Manchester United for their 1999 Champions League celebrations

2000 - Real Madrid 3-0 Valencia

Amedeo Carboni (Valencia)

2002 - Real Madrid 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen

Ze Roberto (Leverkusen)

2003 - AC Milan 0-0 Juventus (Milan win on penalties)

Pavel Nedved (Juventus)

article-2616685-00643AA800000258-768_634x499.jpg

Czech out: Pavel Nedved, pictured with Real Madrid's Zinedine Zidane, was suspended for Juventus' 2003 Champions League final shootout defeat by AC Milan

2009 - Barcelona 2-0 Manchester United

Eric Abidal and Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Darren Fletcher (Man Utd)

2010 - Inter 2-0 Bayern Munich

Thiago Motta (Inter), Franck Ribery (Bayern)

2011 - Barcelona 3-1 Manchester United

Jose Pinto (Barcelona)

2012 - Chelsea 1-1 Bayern Munich (Chelsea win on penalties)

Branislav Ivanovic, John Terry, Ramires and Raul Meireles (Chelsea), David Alaba, Holger Badstuber and Luis Gustavo (Bayern)

article-2616685-19CD0EE7000005DC-82_306x423.jpg
article-2616685-13307712000005DC-372_306x423.jpg

Quick change: John Terry ditched his suit to join Chelsea's celebrations after the victory over Bayern in 2012

2014 - Real Madrid v Chelsea/Atletico Madrid

Xabi Alonso (Real)

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Can Mourinho ever deliver the Chelsea that Abramovich wants?

395639_heroa.jpg

May 1, 2014 11:00:00 AM

The Blues were knocked out of the Champions League at the semi-final stage on Wednesday night following a 3-1 second-leg defeat to Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge

COMMENT
By Greg Stobart at Stamford Bridge

As Roman Abramovich watched on from his luxury private box in the west stand, he was presented with the kind of vibrant attacking football he has always craved at Stamford Bridge.

Unfortunately, it was the team in red and white stripes playing with the speed, authority and skill that would have reminded the Russian billionaire why he once dreamed of appointing Pep Guardiola as the Chelsea manager.

In the second half, Chelsea surrendered meekly. Jose Mourinho has so often conquered rivals in big matches away from home, but Atletico Madrid beat him at his own game to book a place in the Champions League final on May 24, where they will face Real Madrid.

Mourinho claimed the game turned on an “impossible save” from Thibaut Courtois to deny John Terry, followed moments later by a clumsy foul from Samuel Eto’o which allowed Diego Costa to put the visitors ahead from the penalty spot.

Such moments may come to define some games, but Atletico’s win here was founded on more than a slice of luck.

The intensity of their play was startling, the cohesion of their attacking movement too much for the Blues to handle. They played with a passion that mirrored that of their coach, Diego Simeone, on the touchline.

Mourinho could find no answer, not this time.

Not so special anymore? This was Mourinho’s fourth Champions League semi-final defeat in a row, his sixth overall in 10 attempts to reach the final of Europe’s most prestigious competition.

The Portuguese had tried to repeat the formula that worked so well in Sunday’s win at Anfield, starting with six recognised defenders in his side, looking to keep the game tight and exploit any chink in Atletico’s armour.

Eyebrows were raised but the game was going perfectly to Mourinho’s gameplan when Fernando Torres fired Chelsea ahead via a deflection in the 36th minute.

But the Liga leaders hit back. Adrian equalised just before half time and Simeone’s men took control after the break. Diego Costa put the visitors ahead from the penalty spot and then Arda Turan sealed the win.

Atletico are the perfect example of a team that is coached to become far more than the sum of its parts.

Mourinho, a year in to the four-year deal he signed to return to Chelsea last year, is still working on uniting the group of individuals assembled for him by Abramovich at great expense.

Having already conceded the Premier League title (publicly, at least) Mourinho’s attention almost immediately turned towards next season.

"Next season will be better than this season - that's our objective - the objective of everybody," he said in his post-match interview.

In ‘everybody’, he includes Abramovich.

Mourinho believes a top class striker will solve most of his problems. Having particularly struggled when asked to break down weaker teams this season, the Portuguese has lamented the lack of attacking firepower in the Blues squad.

Torres, Eto’o and Demba Ba are not good enough for this elite level. The anticipated arrival of Costa - what a shame it would be to see him leave the Spanish capital - would provide the quality Chelsea have needed in the final third.

Tottenham midfielder Paulinho has also been strongly linked with a move to the Blues recently, a typical Mourinho all-action midfielder.

But are these the acquisitions to deliver both the winning results and beautiful football that Abramovich wants?

Probably not. And he sacked Roberto Di Matteo for Chelsea’s defensive-minded style of play just months after the Italian delivered him the Champions League in 2012.

Mourinho has said this season that he accepts the owner’s wishes and understands the style of football Abramovich wants to see having signed small, quick and technical players such as Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian.

Just as Atletico play in Simeone’s image, so do Chelsea with Mourinho. They are organised defensively, know their tactical roles to the last detail and work hard on set-pieces and counter-attacks.

Yet Mourinho is unlikely to ever change his ways, to risk results for aesthetics.

Too often, he relies on a moment of individual quality. "Often, I'm asked to do it all by myself and it's not easy,” reflected Hazard after Wednesday’s defeat.

With the Belgian struggling for fitness, Oscar out of form and no top class striker; Chelsea have come unstuck in recent weeks against teams towards the lower end of the table that set out to frustrate them.

He would never admit it, but Mourinho may reflect he should have kept Juan Mata in January rather than sell the Spaniard to Manchester United.

Abramovich sacked Mourinho the first time around because he was not happy with the defensive style of football and there have been few signs that it will be any different in the 51-year-old’s second spell.

The trophies will no doubt come if Mourinho stays for the next three seasons on his £10 million per year contract. But can he ever deliver the Chelsea that Abramovich really wants?

Last edited:

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bring it on: Simeone eager to begin battle of Madrid

Atletico may be historical underdogs against Real, but recent results suggest outcome of Euro final is not as clear-cut as many think

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 01 May, 2014, 10:02pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 01 May, 2014, 10:04pm

Agence France-Presse in London

2ad57a26b698a274794afcfa07ecdec2.jpg

Atletico Madrid's Arda Turan finds the net against Chelsea in their Champions League semi-final second leg. Photo: Reuters

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is relishing the prospect of leading his side against city rivals Real Madrid in the Champions League final after eliminating Chelsea in the last four.

The two Madrid clubs will become the first teams from the same city to contest a European Cup final when they meet in Lisbon on May 24 after Atletico won 3-1 at Chelsea in the semi-finals on Wednesday.

Atletico have taken four points from Real in the league this season, having beaten them for the first time in 14 years in last year's Copa del Rey final.

Simeone, however, does not believe Atletico's intimate knowledge of their rivals will necessarily work in their favour.

"I don't see it as an advantage or a disadvantage," he said.

"The reality is that we know each other very well and have been playing each other for a really long time. We will be playing a powerful club who are used to the big European nights.

"It's been many years since we've been there, so it will be a new experience for us, but we'll be very eager and excited to play well in the final."

Atletico last appeared in a European Cup final in 1974, when they lost 4-0 to Bayern Munich in a replay at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels after a 1-1 draw in their first encounter.

Simeone has also taken the club to within two wins of a first La Liga crown since 1996, but the former Argentina midfielder played down suggestions that he is now the world's pre-eminent coach. "I don't think it's the right time to think about that or talk about that," said the 44-year-old, who had two spells at Atletico as a player.

"Right now I'm just focusing on our next game against Levante [on Sunday in La Liga]. I just want to congratulate the players and the staff at the club, because without their hard work we wouldn't be here."

Asked if it had been the best moment of his managerial career, Simeone replied: "Considering we were playing against such a big opponent at their own stadium, that always enhances the game.

"I'm very happy with the second-half reaction. We played very well in the second half and controlled the game against world-class opponents.

"That will be the lasting memory of this game, that we controlled the game against a great side and were able to reach the final."

26d8b5c8054da68a03efdd4035ba626f.jpg

Diego Costa celebrates with Atletico coach Diego Simeone after slotting home a penalty in their 3-1 win over Chelsea. Photo: Reuters

Another former Atletico player, Fernando Torres, tipped the balance of the tie in Chelsea's favour when he swept home a cross from Cesar Azpilicueta to put the hosts 1-0 up in the 36th minute of Wednesday's game.

Adrian Lopez equalised minutes later, however, putting the visitors ahead on away goals as the first leg had ended goalless, before a Diego Costa penalty and a 72nd-minute Arda Turan goal killed the tie.

Costa, a reported transfer target for Chelsea, had to go off in the 76th minute after sustaining a knock, but Simeone played down concerns about his fitness.

"He's fine, he's OK," he said. "He doesn't have any strange problems and I'm sure tomorrow the medical staff will be able to give a more precise diagnosis, but as far as we're concerned, he's OK."

Simeone concluded his post-match press conference with an unprompted remark that drew guffaws from the journalists present.

"I want to congratulate the mothers of these players, because they gave them big 'cojones' to play the way they did today," he said with a grin.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas should be Madrid No.1 for remainder of the season, says Valdano

398645_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 2, 2014 10:20:19 AM

The former Madrid director has voiced his concerns with the Spain goalkeeper's lack of gametime ahead of the Champions League final

Former Real Madrid general manager Jorge Valdano believes Iker Casillas should be los Blancos' No.1 for the remainder of the season in order to be ready for the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid.

Casillas has solely been used in cup competitions by head coach Carlo Ancelotti this campaign, with Diego Lopez starting every Madrid fixture in La Liga.

However, Valdano, who left the Bernabeu in May 2011. believes the time has come to reinstate the 32-year-old as Madrid's first choice goalkeeper.

"Casillas not playing until the final is a problem," he told Cadena Ser.

"I would give him minutes. It's a long time without playing."

If Ancelotti persists with his current selection process, Casillas will not feature again until the showpiece in Lisbon on May 24 - some 25 days after Madrid's semi-final victory over Bayern Munich.

The Spain international has made 21 appearances for Madrid so far this term, keeping 14 clean sheets in the process.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A tempo not good enough - Benitez

398388_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 1, 2014 8:18:13 PM

As Italian teams continue to struggle in European competitions, the Napoli coach suggests Spanish, German and English leagues have superior match speed

Napoli boss Rafa Benitez believes that Serie A sides suffer in Europe because Italian football is not based around a fast tempo as other leagues are.

Only once in six seasons has an Italian team (Inter in 2009-10) reached the last four of the Champions League, while Juventus, AC Milan and Napoli all crashed out this season before the quarter-final stage.

Benitez, whose Partenopei were unlucky to be eliminated in the group stage behind Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal this term, believes the focus on speed of play rather than territorial dominance in England, Spain and Germany has left Serie A in the dust continentally.

"To be fair, I am a little bit disappointed," the Spaniard told Perform. "We got 12 points this year and we couldn't progress in the Champions League.

"Maybe the main difference is the tempo. When we talk about high tempo we talk about the Premier League, even La Liga and the Bundesliga. Physically in Germany they are strong and they play with high tempo.

"In Spain you can see the pace of the game. And here in Italy, it's more to control games and maybe after when you go to another level it is quite difficult."

With the Coppa Italia up for grabs this weekend, Benitez has been encouraged by Napoli's season and suggested his team have a lot of potential to succeed in future years.

"Italy is a difficult country in terms of football because everybody likes football, everybody has passion and the style of football is you have to control the games and it is not easy," the ex-Liverpool boss added.

"So to be where we are at the moment, with more points than in the history of Napoli, plus to be in the final of the cup ... I think it's really important because it is part of the promise of this club."

Napoli are third in Serie A and look destined to secure the Champions League play-off spot, needing just one win from their final three games to guarantee their place among Europe's elite.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nine clubs face punishment over financial losses

By Keith Weir
LONDON Fri May 2, 2014 7:40pm BST

r

Paris St Germain's coach Laurent Blanc attends the French Ligue 1 soccer match against Evian Thonon Gaillard at the Parc des Princes Stadium in Paris, April 23, 2014. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

(Reuters) - Nine European football clubs face punishment under new rules designed to force teams to rein in their financial losses, UEFA said on Friday, without naming any of the offenders.

Media reports this week said big-spending Manchester City and Paris St Germain have been given the chance to settle breaches of the Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules that will leave them free to play in next season's Champions League.

There had been speculation that details of those settlements would emerge as early as this week.

In a statement issued after a two-day meeting of its Club Financial Control Body (CFCB), UEFA said it had given a clean bill of health to 67 of the 76 clubs who had been asked earlier this year to supply additional information about their accounts.

The remaining nine clubs have exceeded the maximum permitted losses under the new regulatory system and sanctions are expected to be announced by the end of next week.

"Further information shall be provided once this process has been completed," UEFA said.

UEFA has the power to ban teams from European competition if their losses exceed its limits but is expected to shy away from imposing that punishment at this stage.

The likely sanctions range from a reprimand, to a fine or a cap on squad size for next season's European competition.

Rival clubs could seek to challenge the verdicts if they think they have been unduly lenient.

Having spent heavily to compete with the best teams in Europe in recent seasons, Manchester City and PSG appear most at risk of falling foul of the rules.

City, in the running for their second Premier League title in three years, have been bankrolled by cash from Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Mansour while PSG have been lavishly funded by their Qatari owners and now dominate French football.

Under FFP, the headline numbers limit club losses to 45 million euros (37 million pounds) over the past two seasons, but there are various exemptions for spending on youth development, stadium infrastructure and older contracts.

The aim of the rules is to bring greater financial stability to European football.

However, critics of the system say it makes it harder for a new owner to come in and challenge the biggest clubs in European football.

(Writing by Keith Weir; editing by Toby Davis)

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rummenigge backs 'wonderful' Guardiola despite Champions League exit

397694_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 2, 2014 11:29:19 PM

The Bayern Munich CEO has hit out at crticism of the coach in the last few days and insists their thrashing by Real Madrid should not detract from their successes this season

Bayern Munich should consider themselves fortunate to have "wonderful" coach Pep Guardiola in charge, according to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

The former Barcelona boss has come in for criticism this week following the Bundesliga champions' 5-0 aggregate thashing by Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-finals.

However, Bayern CEO Rummenigge believes the reaction has been blown out of proportion and insists the Spaniard will be fully backed in his vision for the club.

"Not one piece of paper can fit between Pep Guardiola and the entirety of Bayern," he said at Friday's general meeting, which saw Karl Hopfner confirmed as the club's new president. "He is a very great, very successful coach, with a clear philosophy and vision, and also a wonderful man. We can all count ourselves fortunate he opted for Bayern.

"There has been a bucketload of malice in the last few days. We have been outstanding with this system and these players this season.

"A defeat in the Champions League does not make it all bad. There is no shame, and certainly no drama."

Bayern, who sealed the league title in record time this season, can still claim another trophy this term when they face Borussia Dortmund in the final of the DFB Pokal.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Matthaus attacks Guardiola: You cannot expect Bayern to play like Barcelona

399056_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 3, 2014 8:56:02 AM

The former Germany international also lashed out at the Catalan coach for rotating his squad too much and constantly switching Philipp Lahm between defence and midfield

Lothar Matthaus says that Tuesday night's "debacle" against Real Madrid was the result of Pep Guardiola's misguided attempt to get Bayern Munich to play like Barcelona.

The Catalan coach spent four years in charge of the Blaugrana between 2008 and 2012, during which time he revolutionised the game with a possession-orientated style of play which became known as 'tiki-taka'.

Matthaus, though, says Guardiola has erred in trying to get Bayern to embrace a footballing philosophy that is alien to many of his squad, citing the 4-0 Champions League loss at home to Madrid as a painful case in point.

"You cannot get them play Catalan here," the former Bayern ace told AC. "You cannot expect Bayern as Barca plays."

Matthaus also attacked Guardiola's decision to begin rotating players after Bayern had clinched the Bundesliga title at the end of March, arguing that the constant chopping and changing between domestic and European fixtures affected the Bavarians' "rhythm".

"There were too many changes," the ex-Germany international stated.

"The ship may not have begun to go off course had it not been for such dramatic rotation."

In addition, Matthaus queried Guardiola's propensity for constantly moving captain Philipp Lahm between full-back and midfield, arguing that it "contributed to the uncertainty in the team; to a historic result [a 5-0 aggregate] loss to Madrid, a debacle."

However, Matthaus felt that Guardiola had also been let down by his players, feeling that they had not taken sufficient responsibility for their Champions League capitulation.

"They were not self-critical enough," he fumed. "If Bayern now lose to Borussia Dortmund in the DFB Pokal final, there will be serious talks on Sabener Strasse [Bayern's headquarters]."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Madrid to appeal Alonso booking

399208_heroa.jpg

James Willoughby
May 3, 2014 3:36:12 PM

The midfielder will miss the Champions League final unless their bid to overturn his ban is successful, though Real have been boosted by the return to fitness of Sami Khedira

Real Madrid will appeal Xabi Alonso's suspension for this month's Champions League final, coach Carlo Ancelotti has revealed.

Alonso was booked in the first half of Real's 4-0 semi-final second leg win over Bayern Munich for a clumsy foul on Bastian Schweinsteiger.

The yellow card was the Spain international's third of the tournament, ruling him out of the final against city rivals Atletico Madrid in Lisbon on May 24.

Madrid were already 3-0 ahead – and 4-0 up on aggregate – when Alonso committed his foul, and he later claimed missing the final was a "shame" and that being banned for the final due to an accumulation of yellow cards was an "unfair rule".

He could still feature in the showpiece though, after Ancelotti told reporters on Saturday that they would appeal against the decision.

"Xabi Alonso's natural replacement is (Asier) Illarramendi (if required)," Ancelotti said.

"But we will appeal the yellow card."

Sami Khedira was tipped to replace Alonso by some, with the Germany international returning to training last month for the first time since injuring his knee in a November friendly against Italy.

And Ancelotti said he will play a part in his matchday squad for Sunday's home clash against Valencia.

"Khedira is available for tomorrow. He will start on the bench," he added.

"Khedira will come back slowly (though). We will organise a friendly in Valdebebas next week to help him improve."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kuipers to referee Champions League final

401199_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 7, 2014 10:12:00 AM

The 41-year-old Dutchman - who officiated the Confederations Cup final last year - will lead this month's showpiece between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon

Uefa has announced that Dutch referee Bjorn Kuipers will be in charge of the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in Lisbon on May 24.

The 41-year-old was in charge of the 2013 Confederations Cup final between Brazil and Spain and last season's Europa League final between Chelsea and Benfica.

"Bjorn Kuipers will take charge of the 2013-14 Champions League final, between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid at the Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica in Lisbon on Saturday 24 May," a statement on the Uefa website reads.

"The 41-year-old Dutchman Bjorn Kuipers, who was awarded his Fifa badge in 2006, has overseen 68 matches in Uefa competition, including four in this season's Champions League and three in the Europa League. He also oversaw the 2011 Uefa Super Cup, and Chelsea's win against Benfica in last season's Uefa Europa League final at the Amsterdam ArenA, and becomes the fourth Dutch official to take charge of a European Cup final after Leo Horn (1957, 1962), Charles Corver (1978) and Dick Jol (2001).

"In Lisbon, Kuipers will be assisted by fellow countrymen Sander van Roekel and Erwin Zeinstra. The fourth official will be Turkey's Cuneyt Cakir, and the two additional assistant referees, Pol van Boekel and Richard Liesveld, are also from the Netherlands. A Dutch reserve assistant referee – Angelo Boonman – completes the lineup of the refereeing team."

Kuipers refereed Madrid's match with CSKA Moscow in 2011-2012 prior to being named an official for the Euro 2012 tournament in Poland and Ukraine.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo sets sights on Champions League glory against 'fantastic' Altetico

402492_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright409
May 9, 2014 4:12:58 PM

The Real Madrid star is relishing a tough test against their city rivals in Lisbon and admits "nothing is impossible" for Portugal at the World Cup

Real Madrid attacker Cristiano Ronaldo is determined to extend his Champions League goal record in the final against Atletico Madrid - but insists the trophy itself is more important.

The 29-year-old broke Lionel Messi's tally of 14 strikes in a single tournament this season, with his double in the semi-final win over Bayern Munich taking him to 16 for the 2013-14 campaign.

And Ronaldo has his sights set on adding to his remarkable scoring record in the final in Lisbon later this month - although he admits he would be delighted to see a team-mate score the winning goal.

"We've won the Copa del Rey, La Liga is difficult - although not impossible - and we are in the final of the Champions League. At the start of the season, we would have taken that," he told reporters at a Samsung event when asked about Madrid's season so far.

"We will play against a great side [in the Champions League final]. Finals are always 50-50 although we know we're facing a great rival. We hope it'll be a great night and that we win.

"They're a fantastic team. They're first in La Liga and that says a lot about them. It's beautiful to have two Spanish teams in the final, and also Sevilla, who are in the Europa League final.

"The record is good, I beat it, and it's in the past. Now what I want is to win the Champions League and score in the final, although if a team-mate scores that's fine, the important thing is to win the trophy."

Ronaldo is set to captain Portugal in the World Cup finals this summer and, while he believes Brazil and Spain are the favourites for the trophy, he believes "nothing is impossible" for his own side.

"Spain and Brazil are the great favourites. Portugal have to take it game by game, because, in football, nothing is impossible," he added.

"I want to enjoy the World Cup in Brazil, it's a brotherly country for me, and they speak my language."