• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pastore: Juventus and AC Milan wanted me

Aug 13, 2014 15:12:00

Javier-Pastore.jpg

The midfielder says he snubbed the chance to return to Serie A in favour of continuing his career with the French champions

Javier Pastore claims Juventus, AC Milan and Lazio were interested in his signature but that he is happy with life with Paris Saint-Germain.

Pastore, 25, has been linked with a move away from the Ligue 1 champions throughout the close-season after struggling for consistent form and playing time last term.

The Argentine attacking midfielder, who was at Palermo before his move to PSG, said there had been interest from Serie A sides but stressed he feels confident at Parc des Princes.

"Juventus, Lazio and Milan? I can confirm there was something with these teams but I am happy at PSG and the club believes in me," Pastore told Sky Sport Italia.

"Having said that, I was very happy when I was in Italy."

Pastore was the 2010 Serie A Young Footballer of the Year and enjoyed two good seasons at Palermo in 2009-10 and 2010-11.

PSG take on Bastia in their first home game of the 2014-15 Ligue 1 season on Saturday.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FIGC must sanction Tavecchio for 'disastrous' comments - Tommasi

142390_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Aug 14, 2014 11:14:00

Damiano Tomassi wants the 71-year-old punished for claiming African players were "eating bananas" before being signed by Serie A clubs

The Italian footballers’ union has called for the FIGC to punish its new president Carlo Tavecchio over racist and sexist remarks he made before being elected.

Tavecchio became president after winning 63.63 per cent of the vote in Monday’s election despite courting much controversy in previous weeks.

First, he referred to foreign players as “banana eaters” who steal Italian players’ jobs, then it emerged he’d made derogatory remarks about female footballers in a 2009 TV interview.

In response, Damiano Tomassi, the president of the AIC, Italy’s professional footballers’ association, has demanded that Tavecchio face retribution.

“It will be impossible to start any anti-racism campaign in Italy in the future if there are no sanctions for this president,” said Tommasi in a statement released by the AIC.

“[Juventus defender] Giorgio Chiellini was the first player to react. Ten minutes after he had read the news he called me and told me that we had to do something, because he knows what the significance will be if the Italian national team has to travel around the world with this man as their president.

"Before the vote, everybody thought it would be impossible for him to be elected after the comments he had made ...

"For the players, it is very difficult to feel represented by Carlo Tavecchio".

439453_heroa.jpg

Tavecchio | Tommasi says his comments are a "disaster for Italy"

With four representatives on the new FIGC board, the AIC is hoping to use its position to raise the matter with the remaining members at the first board meeting next Monday.

"We have to reflect on his remarks about foreign players. We need more than the simple rectification he has made. They are not a joke. We have to think what is the correct sanction," Tomassi added.

"In Italy, we still have people in the stadiums who think that there are no black Italians. I think this year we should not be surprised when we see banners inside the stadium displaying 'Tavecchio one of us'.

"If we do not sanction Tavecchio's remarks, we cannot sanction supporters or players making racist remarks either.

"If you want to launch any campaign against racism in the future, you have to attack Tavecchio's remarks with force."

Tavecchio has promised to set up a committee to fight racism, but Tommasi insists there are more important matters for the 71-year-old to address first.

"He wants some players in this committee. I said that the first job of this committee is to discuss a sanction for the president, for his remarks about foreign players. I don't know if he still wants us on that committee.

"We are protecting all the players and foreign players in Italy. And we also have a lot of Italian players outside Italy. What do you think about Italy's image? This is a disaster for everyone in Italy."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A - Blanc: Liverpool target Lavezzi can go

PSG Coach Laurent Blanc says Juventus target Ezequiel Lavezzi is free to leave the club, provided he wants to.

14 August 2014 17:57 FootballItalia

1289680-27786408-2560-1440.jpg

Ezequiel Lavezzi (Reuters)

The Argentine international, who played for Napoli for five years before moving to France, is reported to have turned down a contract extension with the Ligue 1 club and has also been linked with Milan and Inter this summer.

[PSG WANT €20M FOR LAVEZZI]

“If someone wants to leave, we will not stop them,” Blanc told reporters. “I have a strong and talented team.

“We have signed the players we wanted to get and we have strengthened the positions we wanted.

“If the team remains how it is I would be very happy, but the window is still open and anything could happen until the end.

“If a player wants to go we won’t stop them and maybe we would sign someone else to replace them.”

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A - Buffon ready to sign new deal at Juve

Gigi Buffon says there are no problems with Juventus over contract negotiations, nor issues to see between Max Allegri and Andrea Pirlo.

15 August 2014 FootballItalia

1265788-27307379-2560-1440.jpg

Gianluigi Buffon (Italia)

The goalkeeper’s current deal with the Old Lady expires in June 2015, but it is believed that he is in continued negotiations over an extension.

Talking to Tuttosport on the matter, the 36-year-old admitted that a year-by-year renewal is up for consideration.

“Sure. It is a form of respect for the club but also for me,” Buffon has responded in a lengthy interview released today.

“There will be no problems. Contracts for life have already been signed in the past. I am 36. And when one looks back on a career like mine, they should have sensitivity and respect for its history.

“I have already had 14 seasons at Juve. So it would be doubly nice to continue to move forward together, truly if the club will agree.

“Between us we have created such a relationship of mutual trust that no problems will come from it.

“The problems, if any, will arise when I no longer reach a certain level of performance.”

In a spectacular Euro Papers, the transfer of the summer has been revealed as Reus heads to Spain, while PSG return for Di Maria and Arsenal target Lavezzi.

Buffon was asked if he has considered moving into management once he retires from playing.

“Now it is stupid and foolish to talk of this. The first thing I will do when I quit playing is dedicate time to myself.

“That is to further my studies - for my training and for future work. Sometimes I cannot wait to retire, so great is the urgency I feel inside. An urgency of life.

“Of course, for now I am happy to defer this question, because I have a more important mission to fulfil. That is to honour my career and my commitment to Juve…”

Juve and Italy’s captain, who also considered Antonio Conte’s appointment as Italy Coach and Massimiliano Allegri’s adaptation with the Bianconeri, was asked about the latter’s relationship with Andrea Pirlo.

“They are always laughing and joking? And how. We see it all. They are always in great harmony. It’s true, they are often joking. Without hesitation, without malice.

“They are two very smart people. Maybe at a certain point in their careers they had different ideas. Some differences.

“And that may be so. But then things go on. They understand situations. There is no problem, in short.”

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vidal returns to training but again fails to confirm Juventus future

445030_heroa.jpg

By Tony Mahoney
Aug 15, 2014 16:14:00

The Chilean was back working with his team-mates for the first time in a month and a half but was curt when asked by a fan whether he will definitely stay

Arturo Vidal returned to training with Juventus on Friday but once again failed to commit his future to the club when asked by a supporter.

The Chilean has been following a special rehabilitation programme in pre-season having rushed back from a knee operation to play at the World Cup for Chile.

Vidal successfully trained for the first time with the ball in a month and a half at National Stadium in Singapore - where Juve are currently enjoying the final leg of their Asia-Pacific tour - but once again raised concerns over a potential exit.

After signing autographs, he was asked by a supporter what his future was - to which Vidal smirked: "My future is to train well."

The ex-Bayer Leverkusen man has been constantly linked with a transfer to Manchester United this summer. The English side have yet to table a bid and Juventus CEO Giuseppe Marotta had already set an unofficial deadline of Friday after which Vidal would not be allowed to leave.

Juventus have publicly stated throughout the saga that their star man is not for sale unless he underlines a desire to depart.

But the 27-year-old's refusal once more to commit his future to the Bianconeri will raise question marks as the Juventus squad prepares to return to Italy after their final tour match against a Singapore select XI on Saturday.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fiorentina to fight Arsenal for Khedira

Fiorentina will use Saturday's Real Madrid friendly to discuss Sami Khedira, also a target for Arsenal.

16 August 2014 13:45 FootballItalia

1287334-27739424-2560-1440.jpg

Germany's midfielder Sami Khedira poses with the trophy after winning the 2014 FIFA World Cup

The Viola face the reigning European Champions in Warsaw this evening at 19.45 UK time (18.45 GMT).

According to Tuttosport and Sportmediaset, their directors will use the opportunity to make an offer for midfielder Khedira.

There are conflicting reports on how much Real Madrid are asking for, as Italian media suggest €10m (£8m) compared to Metro newspaper in England’s €25m (£20.6m).

Khedira does not seem to be in Carlo Ancelotti’s plans despite winning the World Cup with Germany this summer.

His wage demands are an issue for Fiorentina at €3.5m per season.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Juventus 'to offload Llorente and bring in Falcao'

Juventus and Liverpool reportedly asked AS Monaco for Radamel Falcao on loan, as Valencia want Fernando Llorente.

Aug 17, 2014 FootballItalia

1264671-27285036-2560-1440.jpg

Fernando Llorente, Juventus de Turin 2014

The Colombian international hitman only left Atletico Madrid for £50m last summer, but is widely believed to be unhappy at Monaco.

His first choice would be moving to Real Madrid, but they cannot make a bid this year due to Financial Fair Play rules, having already spent £90m for the likes of James Rodriguez, Toni Kroos and Keylor Navas.

According to the Gazzetta dello Sport, Monaco would be prepared to loan Falcao out for one season so that he can find his fitness after a lengthy injury lay-off.

That way he’d be able to bide his time and wait one year for Real Madrid to take him on, or agree a buy-out clause with this new club.

Juventus have approached Monaco to ask for his signature, but face competition from Liverpool, who are still seeking a replacement for Barcelona-bound Luis Suarez.

The Mail on Sunday claims Monaco are demanding a £12m loan fee, though it could well be negotiated down.

The Bianconeri would pay for this move – and his huge £10m per season wages – by accepting Valencia’s bid for Fernando Llorente.

The same newspaper claims Valencia have offered €10m (£8m) for Llorente, but that Juve want double that sum to release the Spaniard.

It would be a huge boost to their finances, as they picked up Llorente on a free from Athletic Bilbao a year ago.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona hint at Cuadrado bid

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has openly suggested that the club will make a move for Fiorentina’s Juan Cuadrado.

1294346-27879784-2560-1440.png

The Blaugrana and Manchester United are reportedly in a bidding war over the €30m-rated Colombian.

“I won’t talk about Cuadrado because he is not my player,” Luis Enrique told a reporter during a Press conference.

“Having said that, our market isn’t closed yet. At times it can happen that we like players, we negotiate for them and the other clubs aren’t always prepared to sell them.”

Fiorentina beat Real Madrid 2-1 in a friendly last night, but Cuadrado did not take part and Coach Vincenzo Montella explained why.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zanzi blasts Benatia rumours: Mehdi's a Roma player

445701_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 17, 2014 14:37:00

The Giallorossi have been upset by reports that they are set to lose the Morocco international, who is being courted by Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Chelsea

Roma CEO Italo Zanzi has rubbished rumours that Mehdi Benatia is on the verge of leaving the Stadio Olimpico.

The Morocco international has been linked with a move away from the Italian capital all summer long, with both Chelsea and Manchester United said to be keen on signing the centre-half before the close of the transfer window.

However, it is now being reported that representatives from Bayern Munich are now in Rome to wrap up a deal for the 27-year-old, having been forced to step up their pursuit for another defender due to the knee injury sustained by Javi Martinez in Wednesday's DFL-Supercup loss to Borussia Dortmund.

Zanzi, though, says there is no truth in the rumours that Benatia is bound for the exit door at the Olimpico.

"Mehdi is our player," the chief executive told Corriere dello Sport. "According to some media sources he had already been sold, but instead he is training with us in a very professional manner.

"It's a shame about all these rumours. He is a great person and is behaving in the best possible way.

"The transfer market is dynamic and until September 1 we will evaluate every opportunity and ensure we are ready [for the new season]."

Benatia joined Roma from Udinese last summer and was one of the key players in last season's surprise second-place finish in Serie A.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Palermo close to Santos starlet

Palermo are reportedly on the verge of signing Santos left-back Emerson.

1295991-27912681-2560-1440.jpg

Emerson of Santos

The 20-year-old has been in the first team since 2012 and even scored a goal in the Brazilian top flight.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Palermo have practically agreed terms to take Emerson on loan with option to buy at the end of the season.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NO8OZ4v2wnI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Two ways Juventus could replace Vidal

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Napoli sign De Guzman

446840_heroa.jpg

Aug 20, 2014 15:31:00

The Serie A side confirmed the signing of the Netherlands international, who spent the last two season on loan at Swansea

Napoli have announced the signing of Jonathan de Guzman from Villarreal.

The attacking midfielder has spent the past two seasons on loan at Premier League side Swansea City, becoming an integral part of their first-team squad.

However, it has now been confirmed that De Guzman has joined former Swansea team-mate Michu in making the move to Stadio San Paolo.

The Netherlands international, who signed for Villarreal in 2011, was brought to Swansea by then-manager Michael Laudrup during the 2012 close-season and made 37 league appearances during his first season in south Wales.

He made a further 34 outings last term, taking his total goal tally to nine in the English top flight, and was linked with a return to the Liberty Stadium for a third season earlier in the transfer window.

More recent speculation has seen De Guzman spoken about as a potential transfer target for QPR, but Napoli have now won the race for his signature.

His transfer comes on the same day that Napoli defender Federico Fernandez made the switch to Swansea.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

AC Milan to battle Fiorentina for Fernando

285583_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Aug 20, 2014 09:36:00

The Brazilian midfielder has been heavily linked with a move to Serie A this summer and the San Siro side are ready to rival the Viola for his signature

Shakhtar Donetsk coach Mircea Lucescu has revealed that Fiorentina and AC Milan have shown an interest in signing Brazil international Fernando Lucas Martins.

Fiorentina were believed to be sitting in pole position to lure the 22-year-old to Serie A, but Lucescu has now made it clear that they face competition from Filippo Inzaghi's side for the holding midfielder's signature and suggests the player himself could prefer to move to San Siro.

Fernando joined Shakhtar from Gremio in the summer of 2013, yet could be on the move again after a difficult first season at the Ukrainian giants.

"Fiorentina are strongly interested in signing Fernando. We are in concrete talks with the Viola," Lucescu told Sky Sport.

"But Milan are also looking to sign him, a club the player really likes."

Fernando, meanwhile, has admitted that he could continue his career at Fiorentina.

"Yes, there is a possibility that I will go to Italy to play with Fiorentina. We'll see what happens."

The midfielder has a contract with Shakhtar until the summer of 2018.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uefa investigate Italy FA president Carlo Tavecchio over alleged racism

• Tavecchio caused outrage with alleged racist comment
• 71-year-old issued apology over ‘eating bananas’ line

Press Association
The Guardian Wednesday 20 August 2014 12.44 BST

Carlo-Tavecchio-011.jpg

Carlo Tavecchio Uefa have launched an inquiry into comments made by Italy's new FA president Carlo Tavecchio. Photograph: Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty Images

Uefa have launched an inquiry into alleged racist comments made by the Italian football federation’s newly-elected president, Carlo Tavecchio.

The 71-year-old beat the former AC Milan player Demetrio Albertini after three rounds of voting in Rome, despite having drawn heavy criticism last month by making an allegedly racist comment about “eating bananas” during an address to a summer assembly of Italy’s amateur leagues.

A Uefa statement on Wednesday read: “Following a request of information made by Uefa on 28 July 2014, Mr Carlo Tavecchio, president of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), has today been personally informed by Uefa about the decision of its chief ethics and disciplinary inspector to open a disciplinary investigation on alleged racist comments made by him during his FIGC presidential election campaign.

“Once the report has been completed, the Uefa chief ethics and disciplinary inspector will submit its conclusions to the control, ethics and disciplinary body to render a decision about this matter.”

A campaign against Tavecchio’s candidacy began when he made the comment while using a fictional example to try to assess the number of foreign players in the Italian leagues.

Quoted by the newspaper La Repubblica, Tavecchio said: “England identifies the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play.

“Here, on the other hand, let’s say there’s [fictional player] Opti Poba, who has come here, who previously was eating bananas and now is a first-team player for Lazio. In England he has to demonstrate his CV and his pedigree.”

He subsequently apologised but Fifa has since asked the FIGC to conduct an investigation into the comments and to report its findings back to the world governing body.

Serie A clubs including Fiorentina and Sampdoria withdrew their backing in the weeks leading up to the elective assembly, but Tavecchio was nevertheless confirmed as Giancarlo Abete’s successor. He polled 63.33% of the third-round votes after the first two rounds proved inconclusive.

The delegation was comprised of 278 representatives from Serie A, Serie B, the Lega Pro, the amateur league, the players’ association, the coaches’ association and the referees’ association.

The Lega Pro, which represents 60 third and fourth division teams, had vowed the week before the voting that nearly all of its members would back Tavecchio, who had been vice-president of the FIGC since 2009.

Tavecchio accepted the news there will be an investigation and said he is keen to give his version of events. “I am calm and I respect Uefa’s decision.

“It’s something that had to be done, hence, we had foreseen it. I am certain that I will also be able to explain in Uefa’s headquarters my mistake as well as my true intentions.”

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lazio can reach European spots - Klose

421267_heroa.jpg

By Matt Jones
Aug 21, 2014 18:11:00

The striker is happy with the signings the Serie A side have made this summer and believes their lack of European football this term will help them reach the top six

Lazio’s Miroslav Klose has admitted that the club’s main goal for the season is to qualify for European competition again.

Lazio are without European football this season after their ninth-place finish in the Italian top flight last term.

However, following the arrival of the likes of Stefan de Vrij, Filip Djordjevic and Marco Parolo, Klose, who won the World Cup with Germany last month, feels the Rome club can challenge for the top six.

"We have two competitions, the League and the Coppa Italia. It will be important for us," Klose told reporters.

"We will play only on the Sunday, so during the week we will work hard. I am happy with new coach [Stefano Pioli], whilst many new players have arrived. Hopefully we will be good.

"I like this Lazio, now we have to continue to work together. It is important. When I arrived, the club bought six players and the squad moved forward well. Hopefully the same can happen this year."

The 36-year-old, who became the top goalscorer in World Cup history this summer, added that his personal objectives were only focused around helping the team.

"[My objectives] are the same as those of the team, we want to get into Europe," the German added. "Then we will see if we can fight for a higher position.

"I want to score more goals than last year, I had several injuries that did not allow me to perform as I wanted.

"We will consider everything that comes. But first we have to play as a team. Given that we will only be playing on weekends, we can win matches even in the final half-an-hour."

Klose announced his retirement from international football in August, but hinted that he wanted to see out his contract with Lazio before looking into coaching possibilities.

"I have a one-plus-one contract. Later I want to try and gain the licenses to become a coach. In football, you never know what can happen.

"I have been here for three years, it is important to work during the week and to do everything for Lazio.

"For me, this is a job, you must eat well and sleep much. We are professionals, it is normal to be like this."

Lazio start their Serie A campaign against AC Milan on August 31.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milan confirm talks with Liverpool over Balotelli sale

AC Milan have confirmed on their club TV channel that they are in talks to sell striker Mario Balotelli to Liverpool.

By Eurosport 21 August 2014

1298077-27954401-2560-1440.jpg

AC Milan's Mario Balotelli (R) and Philippe Mexes walk on the pitch before a Champions Cup match against Manchester City

On Wednesday it was reported by Italian news outlet Sport Mediaset that Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers had tabled a €22 million (£17.5m) offer for the controversial striker, who spent three years with Premier League outfit Manchester City.

Despite much speculation linking the striker with a move to Merseyside, AC Milan chief Adriano Galliani had stated that no official bid had been received, saying: "At the moment we have not received any offer from Liverpool for Balotelli. The transfer window is open until September 1."

However, Milan Channel - the Italian club's in-house TV channel - confirmed on Thursday morning that talks are now ongoing with Liverpool regarding the permanent transfer of the Italy international.

Just last month Rodgers said that the Reds would categorically not be signing the errant Italian, but he has now had a change of heart as Liverpool go in search for a much-needed striker following the departure of talisman Luis Suarez, with things moving on considerably on Wednesday night.

Bvi3jatCIAAUQNR.jpg

It appears Liverpool may have some stiff competition to sign Balotelli, with Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport claiming Arsenal and Chelsea should not be excluded in the battle to sign the 24-year-old.

The newspaper claims that Liverpool initially wanted to bring Balotelli in on loan, but the Serie A outfit will only let the striker leave on a permanent deal, which has put both the Gunners and the Blues on alert.

However, Liverpool could be at the front of the queue with reports they are meeting with Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola, for talks in London.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milan dealt blow in search for Balotelli replacement

22 August 2014

608463header.jpg

Mario Balotelli has arrived at Liverpool for his medical, though Milan have been dealt a blow in their attempts to replace the striker.

Italy international Balotelli is on the verge of an estimated £16million switch to the Premier League runners-up, and was photographed at the club's Melwood training ground on Friday evening, UK time.

He is expected to hold talks with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers and undergo a medical over the weekend.

Liverpool face Balotelli's former club Manchester City on Monday, though the 24-year-old will not be able to play, even if signed ahead of the clash.

Jackson Martinez is thought to be top of Milan's wishlist to replace Balotelli, having scored 61 goals in 93 games since moving to Portugal from Jaguares in 2012.

But Porto president Pinto da Costa is insistent the Colombia international will remain at the Estadio do Dragao.

Gazzetta dello Sport quote Da Costa as saying: "Jackson is incredible, we will not be selling the striker."

Balotelli's impending signing at Anfield will help fill the void left by Luis Suarez's departure to Barcelona, joining Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Lazar Markovic in boosting Rodgers' attacking ranks.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balotelli talks have lasted three months - agent

23 August 2014

609055header.jpg

Mario Balotelli's agent claims he has been in negotiations with Liverpool for three months as the striker edges closer to a move to Anfield.

The Italy international is set to return to the Premier League after the Merseyside club agreed a fee - reported to be £16million - with Milan and the 24-year-old is set to undergo a medical.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers had denied that he was ready to make a move for the former Manchester City man when asked on a pre-season tour of the United States earlier this month.

But Balotelli's representative, Mino Raiola, suggested that the move has been on the cards since the end of last season.

He told Corriere della Sera: "The negotiations have been going on for three months. It's not exactly a scoop.

"Liverpool have always been the only English club who negotiated for Mario. I never lied to the media. Three days ago there was talk of Liverpool, but no offer. The truth is I've been working on Mario for months: the time had come to divorce from Milan.

"There wasn't any row, incident or change. It's not true that the rapport broke down with Milan. I was always against bringing Mario back to Italy: the pressure, the expectation, the media... playing in Italy is much tougher for him than abroad.

"He insisted that he wanted to go from Manchester City to Milan and between client and agent, the client always decides."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Montella eager to land midfielder

23 August 2014

609099header.jpg

Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella hopes to sign another midfielder ahead of the new Serie A season.

Montella guided the Florence club to a fourth-placed finish last season and will be eager to improve on that in the 2014-15 campaign.

The former Italy striker has added Marko Marin, Octavio and Josh Brillante to his midfield options since the end of last season, but still has designs on strengthening further.

"I hope to get David Pizarro back against Roma, while Josh Brillante or Alberto Aquilani can also play in that deep midfield role." Montella said after a 2-0 friendly win over Lucchese on Friday.

"Hopefully someone else can arrive in midfield. It depends on what we are able to do, but the club is taking care of that."

Juan Cuadrado featured in the victory over Lucchese and Montella is satisfied that the sought-after Colombia winger is close to returning to full fitness.

He added: "Cuadrado looked much better than against Arezzo and he's suspended for the first Serie A round, so he has time to improve. After all, he returned late from the World Cup."

Fiorentina face Roma at Stadio Olimpico in their first game of the Serie A season next Saturday.