• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2013-14 ║

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Andrea Pirlo reveals the secret behind his free kick brilliance

389292_heroa.jpg

Apr 17, 2014 7:20:00 AM

This extract from Andrea Pirlo's autobiography, 'I think therefore I play', explains the legendary midfielder's recipe for success when it comes to dead-ball situations

Andrea Pirlo is regarded by many as the world's best free-kick taker and one of the greatest of all time. Below he reveals the secret behind his success. I THINK THEREFORE I PLAY by Andrea Pirlo is out now in paperback and ebook.

BOOK EXTRACT
By Andrea Pirlo

I'm Italian, but I'm also part-Brazilian. Pirlinho, if you like. When I take my free-kicks, I think in Portuguese and at most I'll do the celebrating in my native tongue.

I strike those dead balls alla Pirlo. Each shot bears my name and they're all my children. They look like one another without being twins, even if they do boast the same South American roots. More precisely, they share a source of inspiration: Antonio Augusto Ribeiro Reis Junior, a midfielder who's gone down in history as Juninho Pernambucano.

During his time at Lyon, that man made the ball do some quite extraordinary things. He'd lay it on the ground, twist his body into a few strange shapes, take his run-up and score. He never got it wrong. Never. I checked out his stats and realised it couldn't just be chance. He was like an orchestra conductor who'd been assembled upside down, with the baton held by his feet instead of his hands. He'd give you the thumbs up by raising his big toe – somebody at Ikea was having a good laugh the day they put him together.

I studied him intently, collecting DVDs, even old photographs of games he'd played. And eventually I understood. It wasn't an immediate discovery; it took patience and perseverance. From the start, I could tell he struck the ball in an unusual way. I could see the "what" but not the "how". And so I went out onto the training pitch and tried to copy him, initially without much success. In the early days, the ball sailed a couple of metres over the crossbar, or three metres above the sky to borrow from the Italian film of the same name.

Much of the time it went right over the fence at Milanello and I'd end up lying to the fans gathered outside, pretending I'd done it deliberately. "Boys, I want to give you a present," I'd say, glossing over the fact that the session was behind closed doors and they shouldn't have been anywhere near it. As I was speaking to outlaws, I told myself that what I said was neither a sin nor a crime.

The misses went on for several days and by that time the bloke in charge of the kit store was getting somewhat peeved. For him, it was a case of too many lost balls becoming a ball ache as I persisted with my experiments. Days soon turned into weeks.

379619_heroa.jpg

'The Architect' | Pirlo has scored an incredible 43 free kick goals in his career

My own Eureka moment arrived when I was sat on the toilet. Hardly romantic, but there you go. The search for Juninho's secret had become an obsession for me, to the extent that it occupied my every waking thought. It was at the point of maximum exertion that the dam burst, in every sense of the term. The magic formula was all about how the ball was struck, not where: only three of Juninho's toes came into contact with the leather, not his whole foot as you might expect.

The next day I left the house really early, even electing to skip my usual classic PlayStation battle with [Alessandro] Nesta as I rushed to the training paddock. All I had on my feet was a pair of loafers – I didn't need proper boots to demonstrate what I was now convinced was the right theory.

The kit-store guy had already turned up for duty.

"Can you pass me a ball, please?" I asked.

"Get to f***," he said under his breath, almost hissing at me.

"What was that?" I replied.

"I said I saw a duck."

"Right you are. Go on, you fool, throw me over a ball."

Reluctantly, he chucked one across. Mentally, he was already preparing himself for a trip to the woods to recover it. Instead I stuck it right in the top corner, just where the post meets the crossbar.

A geometric gem. I placed the shot so perfectly that it would have gone in even with a keeper. Luckily for our goalies, none of them were around.

"Why don't you try doing that again, Andrea," came a provocative voice from behind. This was now a battle of two against one. Me on one side, the kit store guy and the ghost of Juninho Pernambucano firmly on the other.

"Okay then, spoilsport. Just you watch," I said.

The ball needs to be struck from underneath using your first three toes. Keep your foot straight and then relax it in one fell swoop"

Up I stepped and unleashed a carbon copy of the previous free kick. It was a thing of absolute beauty, stylistically impeccable. I lined up another five strikes and it was the same story every time. By now it was official: I'd cracked it. The secret was no more.

In essence, the ball needs to be struck from underneath using your first three toes. You have to keep your foot as straight as possible and then relax it in one fell swoop. That way, the ball doesn't spin in the air, but does drop rapidly towards the goal. That's when it starts to rotate. And that, in a nutshell, is my maledetta.

When it comes off exactly as I want, there's no way of keeping it out. It's specifically designed to head over the wall before taking a direction that nobody can predict. For me, the best feeling in life is watching the ball fly into the net after it whizzes a couple of centimetres over the heads of the defenders. They can almost reach it, but not quite. They can read the maker's name, but they can't stop it going in. Sometimes a pinch of sadism is the ingredient that makes victory taste that little bit sweeter.

The further away from goal I am, the better. As the distance increases, so does the effect I can impart. The greater the space between me and the keeper, the quicker the ball tends to drop as it hones in on its target.

I can obviously mix things up a bit, throw in a few little tricks to make every free kick unique, but the underlying concept never changes. Scoring from a dead-ball brings me massive satisfaction. It sets me up as an example for other players to follow, copy and perhaps even emulate over the course of time. For them, I'm a Juninho Pernambucano 2.0, a Brazilian with a Brescia accent.

I've never told anyone, but my ambition is to become the leading all-time scorer of free kicks in Serie A.

390972.jpg

'I think therefore I play', by Andrea Pirlo, is available to buy now in English in paperback and ebook.

For more information, visit www.backpagepress.co.uk

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia not conceding Serie A to Juventus

392256_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Apr 18, 2014 4:24:00 PM

The Frenchman said that Roma will not settle for second place yet, while he won't discuss his contract until the end of the current campaign

Roma coach Rudi Garcia has insisted his side are not ready to accept second place in Serie A ahead of Saturday's meeting with Fiorentina.

The Giallorossi have won each of their last seven league games and have closed the gap to league leaders Juventus to eight points with just five games to go.

As the capital club look to maintain their title challenge, they cannot afford to slip up, particularly at the weekend, when they travel to play Fiorentina after Juve's meeting with fourth-bottom side Bologna.

And Garcia insists his team will go all out to beat Vincenzo Montella's side before praising the Viola for their attractive playing style.

"Is the Scudetto gone? We need to always be careful - often things happen in football when you least expect it," he told the press.

"Tomorrow there will be two teams that play good football going for a win. Let's hope we see a great show. I like the way Fiorentina play - they're a side that’s built to do well domestically and in Europe.

"All I know is that we'll go to Florence to win. It's a tough place to get a result, but we want to extend our winning run.

"We saw a wonderful match in the previous meeting, and let's hope tomorrow's game is equally so for us and the fans."

The former Lille coach went on to discuss Roma's campaign overall and insisted he is happy with the way the season has gone.

"Do I have regrets over certain matches? No, none. I'd have taken second place at the start of the campain but the season is not over.

"I've not spoken to the club about Europe. We'll chat at the end of the season. Renewals? I don't want to think about it.

"I've always said I'd like to see the same squad next season, strengthened by a few new signings. But we need to talk about that with [Walter] Sabatini and the president.”

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Seedorf: We must keep pushing for a Europa League spot

392328_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Apr 18, 2014 5:32:00 PM

The Dutch coach says he will keep working under the assumption that he will be coach next season until he is told differently and hopes his side can secure European football

AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf has urged his players to remain concentrated on continuing to challenge for a Europa League place rather than his future with the club.

Seedorf took his first job in management at San Siro in January and has overseen a relatively stable period after a woeful first half to the campaign under Massimiliano Allegri.

Milan have won their last four matches in Serie A and retain slim hopes of securing European football for next term.

However, Seedorf's future has been the subject of much discussion in the Italian press and the former Netherlands international has warned Milan's players not to be distracted.

"Until I get a call from president [Silvio] Berlusconi, I'll continue to work with the security of knowing I'm the Milan coach. The team have to be focused on the match, not my situation," he said.

"The results are important and the good work done by the team has brought us out of a negative period. Now we want to extend our winning streak.

"We didn't play well against Catania and these are things that can happen. The team played with the right spirit though and Catania are a better team than their league position suggests.

"We're pushing for a place in the Europa League but as sportsmen we always want to go further."

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli had kind words for Seedorf recently, suggesting the Dutchman could prove an ideal role model for striker Mario Balotelli.

Seedorf said he was pleased with Prandelli's remarks during a World Cup training camp and said the experience benefitted the Milan players who attended.

"The important thing is to stay compact. I'm happy with what Prandelli has said about me," he added.

"Balotelli has scored 13 so far and is still scoring. I'm happy with how he's been playing lately.

"I spoke with all the players who came back from the camp and they're all motivated, especially [Stephan] El Shaarawy."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan announce losses

16 April 2014

440199header.jpg

Milan have announced a loss of €15.7million for the 2013 calendar year.

The consolidated loss is set to be covered by a €22m investment from Fininvest - a financial holding company owned by the Berlusconi family that holds the controlling stake in the Serie A club.

The club also revealed earnings had dipped from €275.9m to €274m.

A statement on Milan's website on Wednesday read: "The figures relate to all three companies within the Milan Group: AC Milan, Milan Entertainment and Milan Real Estate.

"Accountancy firm Ernst & Young have confirmed that the balance sheet accurately reflects the club's situation.

"The positive tendency as far as wage pressure goes is continuing. The total amount has been reduced from €176.4 million to €144 million while general costs have been reduced by €4 million.

"Earnings have dropped from €275.9 million to €274 million."

Club vice-president Adriano Galliani commented: "The year that this balance sheet refers to is 2013 when we came third in the league and got through the group stages of the Champions League and that was a good year.

"The club is respecting the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules."

Milan have endured a difficult 2013-14 on the pitch - Clarence Seedorf's men are eighth in Serie A - and a failure to qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League will have financial implications.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Roma face huge test, Juve host Bologna

17 April 2014

440401header.jpg

Roma's chances of keeping the pressure on Serie A leaders Juventus faces a major test when they visit Fiorentina on Saturday.

Rudi Garcia's side are eight points adrift of the two-time defending champions with five league matches remaining.

Overhauling Antonio Conte's team would take something special, and extending their seven-match winning streak is a must for Roma.

Juve are at home to Bologna earlier on Saturday, meaning the gap could be 11 points before Roma's kick-off.

Roma attacking midfielder Adem Ljajic takes on his former club, but his future may lay elsewhere as he looks for regular opportunities.

The talented Serbia international has been linked with several clubs, and a move looks set to happen in the off-season.

With Mattia Destro, Gervinho and Francesco Totti in form, it has been tough for Ljajic to break in for a regular start.

Fiorentina sit fourth and still have slim hopes of finishing third and sealing a place in the qualifiers for the UEFA Champions League.

Napoli, who occupy third place, travel to Udinese on Saturday and would need a late-season form slump to give up the spot they sit nine points clear in.

Inter cling onto the final UEFA Europa League place ahead of a crucial clash at Parma.

Walter Mazzarri's men are two points clear of Parma, who will be desperately chasing all three points to move into fifth.

At the other end of the table, Livorno, Sassuolo and Catania continue their bids to move out of the relegation zone.

Livorno, three points adrift of 17th-placed Bologna, are unlikely to make ground as they travel to an in-form Milan side.

Sassuolo have a chance to draw level on points with Bologna as they face fellow strugglers Chievo.

Catania, who would need a miracle to avoid the drop, host Sampdoria, and a win would bring them to within five points of safety.

Elsewhere, lower-table sides Genoa and Cagliari do battle, Atalanta host Verona and Lazio welcome Torino to the Stadio Olimpico.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Parma v Inter

17 April 2014

440441header.jpg

Inter can take a huge step to securing UEFA Europa League football for next season by taking three points from Saturday's trip to Parma.

With neither side boasting particularly impressive records in Serie A of late, they go into the fixture at the Stadio Ennio Tardini separated by just two points.

The hosts are on course to secure European football through a sixth-place finish, thanks to Napoli and Fiorentina contesting the Coppa Italia final.

However, while they may look to reel in Inter, Roberto Donadoni will also be wary of a trio of teams beneath Parma who all have 48 points and could sneak into Europe at the expense of his side.

If Inter can build on their 4-0 victory at Sampdoria last time out, they could move five points clear of sixth place going into the final four games of the season and, with further investment in the squad expected over the close-season, European football could prove a useful bargaining tool for owner Erick Thohir.

Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic has already agreed to move at the end of the season with a host of further big names also linked but Inter's current crop will likely have their work cut out - even against an out-of-form Parma side.

Despite taking just four points from their last possible 15, much of Parma's successful season has been built on their home form.

Just two of their eight league defeats this season have come on home turf - against leaders Juventus and second-placed Roma - with having failed to win on their last four trips to Parma.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored twice in their last win at the Tardini in 2008 but defender Andrea Ranocchia believes last weekend's dominant win over Sampdoria can give them added impetus to end that run.

"It's crucial that Inter qualify for the Europa League," he said this week.

"(The) win in Genoa was very important. We played a match in a difficult stadium and things immediately went in our favour. We did well to take home the three points."

After a strong start to 2014 which saw them go 11 Serie A games unbeaten, Parma's form has dipped of late and needed a late Raffaele Palladino goal to secure a point against Bologna last time out.

Donadoni feels the fact his team are in contention for a European spot represents progression following their 10th-place finish last term.

"I don't think at the beginning of the season we could think of this," he told the club's official website.

"Inter have a different expectation from ours and a potential which is not comparable to Parma.

"This means that our players have done something extraordinary. We will play as we have always done."

Inter will be without the suspended Ranocchia but neither side have fresh injury concerns following last weekend's action.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Milan v Livorno

17 April 2014

440439header.jpg

Milan go in search of registering five Serie A wins in a row for the first time since 2011 when they host relegation-threatened Livorno.

The San Siro outfit have finally hit form ahead of Saturday's clash and, despite a tumultuous season to date, can still qualify for European football after four successive triumphs.

For a club of Milan's stature – seven-time UEFA Champions League winners – a spot in Europe's second-tier competition is nothing to brag about but it would at least salvage a difficult campaign.

Successes over Fiorentina, Chievo, Genoa and Catania have taken Milan, who sit eighth, to within five points of the fifth-placed Inter, who occupy the last guaranteed UEFA Europa League spot.

Sixth place could still provide a berth in the competition with Coppa Italia finalists Napoli and Fiorentina likely to qualify for Europe through their league position.

They beat Catania 1-0 thanks to a long-range goal from captain Riccardo Montolivo last weekend and will be buoyant as another side mired in the bottom three, Livorno, visit Milan.

Defender Daniele Bonera told the club's official website ahead of the game: "As a team we're succeeding in a run of games that makes us all focus very hard.

"We have to look to win all matches from here to the derby (against Inter on May 4) but if we don't beat Livorno all of this could count for nothing.

"We're defending well and we know that sooner or later we're going to score."

Milan – who announced a "consolidated loss of €15.7 million" during the week - have conceded just one goal in their winning streak, which has seen six different players score.

That will please coach Clarence Seedorf, with Milan's avenues to goal rather limited this season – just two players, Mario Balotelli and Kaka, have netted more than four times in the league.

Stephan El Shaarawy's comeback from a foot injury continues, with the forward fit enough to feature in Italy's 42-man training camp in Coverciano ahead of the FIFA World Cup.

Team-mates Montolivo, Balotelli, Ignazio Abate, Mattia De Sciglio and Andrea Poli were also involved.

El Shaarawy could feature off the bench for his first Milan appearance since December, while De Sciglio may shrug off an ankle complaint to feature.

The involvement of Keisuke Honda (ankle) and Michael Essien (thigh) is unlikely, while Sulley Muntari (calf) is set to return to training this week.

Livorno lie 18th in the table after a five-match winless run and could be set for an immediate return to Serie B.

That is partly down to their woeful defence, with no side in the Serie A having conceded as many as their 64 goals.

They have not kept a clean sheet since November, a run that stretches 22 games, and Milan will be confident of extending that record.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Juventus v Bologna

17 April 2014

440437header.jpg

Bologna will have to overcome a poor away record in order to dent Juventus' Serie A title bid and simultaneously boost their survival hopes.

Bologna - who are 17th with 28 points, just three above the relegation zone - have only won twice away from the Stadio Renato Dall'Ara this season.

Those away-day woes look unlikely to change at the Juventus Stadium on Saturday, with Antonio Conte's side having won all 16 of their league fixtures on home turf this term.

Indeed, Juve have lost just twice in Serie A all campaign and - after passing a potentially tricky encounter 2-0 at Udinese on Monday - they could move to within two victories of collecting a third consecutive league title.

Juve are eight points clear at the top with five games remaining, and Conte will be keen for his charges to wrap up the title before visiting second-placed Roma on May 9.

One potential distraction could be Thursday's UEFA Europa League semi-final first-leg tie at Benfica, with the final set to be held at the Juventus Stadium.

However, goalkeeper and captain Gianluigi Buffon is confident of challenging on both fronts.

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, he said: "Our objectives? We want the Scudetto and the Europa League, to return to being among the best in Europe.

"The Europa League is not a requirement but it is definitely a goal that could be within our reach, or is within our reach."

Centre-back Leonardo Bonucci and versatile right-sided player Stephan Lichtsteiner are both suspended for Juve, while Conte must decide whether to return top scorer Carlos Tevez (thigh) and midfielder Arturo Vidal (knee) to the starting line-up after the duo were only deemed fit enough for the bench at Udinese.

In contrast to Juve's title ambitions, Bologna have hit a lean patch at the wrong time and will be desperate to complete one of the biggest upsets of the season.

Davide Ballardini's side have picked up just seven points from the last 30 available to them, dragging them into the dogfight at the bottom.

The visitors' problems have largely been in attack this season, only bottom side Catania have registered fewer than Bologna's paltry league return of 27 goals this term.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Higuain set to miss Udinese clash

17 April 2014

440583header.jpg

Napoli look set to be without Gonzalo Higuain when they face Udinese in Serie A on Saturday.

The Argentina striker suffered a bruised leg in training on Thursday and is not expected to play any part at Stadio Friuli.

Higuain scored a hat-trick in a 4-2 win over Lazio last weekend, but the Naples outfit revealed on their official website that he is not likely to be fully fit for "a few days".

The expected absence of the former Real Madrid man could open the door for Duvan Zapata to start against Francesco Guidolin's side.

Napoli coach Rafael Benitez will also be unable to call upon Dries Mertens due to suspension, while Juan Camilo Zuniga, Rafael and Christian Maggio are also unavailable.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Raiola: Italian football is up s*** creek

122580_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Apr 18, 2014 6:22:00 PM

The agent has slammed top-level Italian clubs for failing to invest in the infrastructure of the game, while he has also taken aim at Bundesliga chiefs, too

Mino Raiola has criticised Italian football for its lack of investment in stadia and youth systems, while he has blasted German football for its "amateur" sporting directors.

In a lengthy interview with German publication 11Freunde, the well-known football agent, who represents the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba, Mario Balotelli and Henrikh Mkhitaryan, said Italian football is going nowhere at the moment, while German football continues to progress

"Football has an incredible force," Raiola said. "It can move so much. Look at Italy. They are up s*** creek. Why doesn't anybody invest in the infrastructure or the stadiums? In youth academies?

"That's what impresses me about Germans, this perfect organisation, this masterplan, which was implemented with the 2006 World Cup. Now, almost 10 years later, we see where the consequent work with young talent has led Germany.

"It was a perfectly implemented vision. And football needs visions. I've spent half a lifetime in football. What gives me most pleasure is to see if a dream comes true. If I see the development and progress Mkhitaryan has made it gives me pleasure."

Despite his praise, Raiola pointed out weaknesses in German football, particularly what he feels to be the incompetence of sporting directors at some Bundesliga clubs.

"The Bundesliga is perfectly organised, like everything in Germany. It's the league of the moment, but it has two big shortcomings: the foreign marketing and - I am always stunned about this - the lack of professionalism among the sporting directors.

"They have real bunglers there, you just have to say that. You already see that when some managers ask: "Mino who?" if I'm calling. With all respect, a sporting director who doesn't know Mino Raiola should better look for a different job.

"I would even say there are nowhere near as many amateurs in high positions at other leages as there are in the Bundesliga. There are only a few exceptions. [Hans-Joachim] Watzke at Borussia Dortmund, [Karl-Heinz] Rummenigge at Bayern and [Oliver] Kreuzer at Hamburg are highly professional, they have expertise and integrity.

"But most of the German sporting directors have just no clue of the matter they deal with. That's why they work with club-owned agents who negotiate in their place. If you are not ready to communicate about this middleman you cannot make any deal with them. That already happened to me at Schalke."

He then went on to shed some light on how he negotiates deals for his players, revealing that he can earn over €25 million in a single transfer in some cases.

"I am doing a lot of transfers for free. I see this as some kind of investment in my player. If his value goes up, I get the revenue in the future.

"I have done transfers for free and for some I received 50 per cent. For example, if a player directly belongs to me and a club offers €50m, of which I get half, but the player only earns €100,000 salary, then another club pays only €10m, but pays a salary of €500,000 I decide to earn €5m from that deal.

"Most of the agents are in a conflict of interest in this case. I'm not, I always choose the better option for my player."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 things to know about Serie A: Questions swirl over Conte and Seedorf; Roma still holds hope

Andrew Dampf The Associated Press
April 17, 2014 03:23 AM

xac110-413-2014-195415-high-jpg.jpg

AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf, of the Netherlands, gestures during the Serie A soccer match between AC Milan and Catania at the San Siro stadium in Milan, Italy, Sunday, April 13, 2014. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

ROME - While Juventus is striding toward its third consecutive title with an eight-point lead atop Serie A, questions are arising over the future of coach Antonio Conte.

Will he stay or will he go?

In the meantime, Juventus should have little trouble Saturday against relegation-threatened Bologna. And second-place Roma faces a tough test at fourth-place Fiorentina.

Also, Inter Milan visits Parma in a matchup of the fifth- and sixth-place clubs, and AC Milan hosts Livorno.

All of this weekend's matches will be played Saturday due to the Easter holiday.

Here are five things to know about the Italian league:

___

CONTE'S FUTURE: Conte's current contract is due to expire after next season and while Juventus wants to sign him to a longer deal, there is a feeling that the coach would like to keep his options open for an eventual move abroad.

"We have spoken and by mutual agreement decided to postpone everything until after we've won something big, which could be the Serie A title or the Europa League," Juventus CEO Giuseppe Marotta said Wednesday.

Conte has not hid his desire to coach elsewhere in Europe, such as in the English Premier League.

Italian media are already speculating on possible replacements, with Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone leading the list ahead of recently fired Zenit St. Petersburg coach Luciano Spalletti and former AC Milan manager Massimiliano Allegri.

___

SEEDORF'S FUTURE: Even with four consecutive wins, speculation continues to swirl around new AC Milan coach Clarence Seedorf.

The latest reports indicate that the club's Italian players are upset with his choices, with fullback Ignazio Abate in danger of missing out on Italy's World Cup squad due to limited playing time.

While Seedorf signed a 2 1/2-year contract when he replaced Allegri in January, Milan youth coach Filippo Inzaghi could be a replacement option for next season.

___

MONTELLA VS. ROMA: As a coach, Vincenzo Montella is winless in five matches against the squad he starred for in his playing days.

Perhaps Montella can change that statistic when he manages Fiorentina against Roma this weekend.

When he coached Catania, Montella drew twice with Roma. With Fiorentina, Montella has lost all three meetings with the Giallorossi

Then there's this: Roma is the only team of the 27 he has coached against in Serie A that he has not beaten.

Montella scored 83 goals for Roma and helped the squad to the 2001 title.

___

RUDI'S HOPE: Lately, it seems that every time Roma wins, Juventus responds with a victory of its own.

And with Juventus hosting Bologna shortly before Roma plays at Fiorentina, it's difficult to see the title race getting any closer this weekend.

"We're playing a match at Florence that seems difficult, and it is, while Juventus' game seems easy," Roma coach Rudi Garcia said. "But you never know. When you finish a round and the gap remains the same it's tough, but right when it seems nothing more can happen maybe a surprise will come. As long as there's life, there's hope."

Roma hosts Juventus in the penultimate round.

___

SEEKING A STRIKER: Inter Milan's new Indonesian owner Erick Thohir is hoping the squad maintains its fifth-place position to qualify for the Europa League.

He's also looking ahead to next season.

"We will definitely take a forward in the market," he said. "I know that the names of (Edin) Dzeko, (Alvaro) Morata and (Fernando) Torres have been tossed around, and if one of them joins us it would be good. We'll try to take Italian players but considering the history and philosophy of the club we're not obligated to."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Wrap: Roma best Fiorentina but Juve remain clear at the top

19 April 2014

paul-pogba_1506getty_630.jpg

Juventus' narrow win over Bologna means time is fast running out for Roma to overhaul the champions at the top of Serie A.

Antonio Conte's side were largely frustrated in Saturday's encounter with struggling at Juventus Stadium, but Paul Pogba struck the decisive blow with a fierce 25-yard drive just after the hour.

That victory put Juve temporarily 11 points clear at the summit, but second-placed Roma reduced that gap back down to eight points by picking up their eighth straight league win with a 1-0 victory at Fiorentina later on Saturday.

Radja Nainggolan scored midway through the first half at Stadio Artemio Franchi to leave Rudi Garcia's charges with a small chance of picking up their first Scudetto since 2001.

In the race for the UEFA Europa League, Inter took a huge step towards ensuring their place in Europe's secondary competition with a 2-0 win at Parma.

Samir Handanovic played a huge part in that success, keeping out a first-penalty from Antonio Cassano, while Parma were further frustrated when Gabriel Paletta was sent off for a second bookable offence shortly after the restart.

Rolando headed home the opener from the resulting free-kick, while Fredy Guarin wrapped up the points in the 89th minute.

With Coppa Italia finalists Fiorentina and Napoli both set to secure European football, sixth place would also yield a Europa League spot.

And Milan are now level with sixth-placed Parma after racking up a fifth straight Serie A win in a 3-0 triumph over strugglers Livorno at San Siro.

Mario Balotelli - making his 50th Milan appearance - broke the deadlock with his 30th goal for the club shortly before half-time, and goals in the second half from Adel Taarabt and Giampaolo Pazzini secured the win.

Defeat for Livorno means they are now three points adrift of safety in 19th, and the loss saw head coach Domenico Di Carlo dismissed from his position.

Fellow European hopefuls Lazio and Torino played out a 3-3 thriller at Stadio Olimpico.

After twice taking the lead, the hosts were behind for the first time in the 89th minute thanks to Ciro Immobile's strike, yet Antonio Candreva scored his second of the game in the 94th minute to ensure the spoils would be shared.

In the battle to avoid relegation, rock-bottom Catania ended a nine-match winless run - including six straight losses - with a 2-1 victory over Sampdoria, Gonzalo Bergessio scoring the winner in the 63rd minute.

Fellow strugglers Sassuolo also earned a crucial three points in a 1-0 triumph at Chievo, Domenico Berardi's goal five minutes before the break settling the encounter.

Sassuolo are now level on points with 17th-placed Bologna, while Chievo are just two points above the relegation zone.

In other matches, Cagliari and Verona were both 2-1 victors on their respective visits to Genoa and Atalanta, while third-placed Napoli were held to a 1-1 draw at Udinese.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Livorno dismiss Di Carlo, re-hire Nicola

19 April 2014

441621header.jpg

Beleaguered Livorno have parted company with head coach Domenico Di Carlo, with former boss Davide Nicola returning in his place.

Nicola was sacked by Livorno in January, with Di Carlo appointed with the club lying 19th in Serie A at the time.

However, results failed to improve under Di Carlo, with a 3-0 defeat at Milan on Saturday meaning Livorno remain second-bottom having taken just one point from their last six top-flight outings.

Livorno have subsequently decided to cut ties with the 50-year-old, and have entrusted Nicola - who oversaw their promotion from the second tier last term - with the unenviable task of trying to ensure Livorno's stay in Serie A is longer than one season.

"AS Livorno officially announce that Domenico Di Carlo has been dismissed as the first-team coach," read a statement on the club's official website.

"Livorno thanks Mr Di Carlo for his dedication and professionalism.

"The post of coach Livorno's first team has been entrusted to Davide Nicola."

Livorno are three points adrift of safety with just four matches remaining.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Montella rejects talk of Fiorentina exit

20 April 2014

441703header.jpg

Vincenzo Montella intends to stay at Fiorentina beyond the 2013-14 Serie A season despite reports linking him with a move away from the club.

Reports have suggested rivals AC Milan were preparing to make an offer for the Fiorentina coach, who has a €7million buy-out clause, with Clarence Seedorf facing an uncertain future at the San Siro.

But Montella has no desire to leave the Stadio Artemio Franchi, having arrived from Catania in 2012.

"I will talk to the club about strategy for next year after the Coppa Italia final," Montella told Sky Sport Italia.

"As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no chance I won't be the Fiorentina coach next season, unless the club decides to kick me out."

Fiorentina are poised for another top-four finish, despite going down to high-flying Roma on Saturday.

Radja Nainggolan struck midway through the first half as Roma ran out 1-0 winners, but Fiorentina remain two points ahead of fifth-placed Inter Milan.

It was Fiorentina's first defeat in three league game, though Montella was still relatively pleased with his team's performance.

"We had three or four good chances to score and we played our game, especially in the first half," he said.

"It was open and exciting before the break, then we started the second half well, but both sides got tired and the tempo was slowed down."

Montella added: "I believe the table reflects the real value of the teams. Roma are having a great campaign and, all things considered, so are Fiorentina.

"We suffered a few too many defeats, but this is football."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Seedorf coy on Milan future

19 April 2014

441465header.jpg

Clarence Seedorf has no interest in discussing his Milan future, insisting only the club's hierarchy can decide his fate.

The Dutchman witnessed his side win five straight league games for the first time since 2011 in a 3-0 victory over Serie A strugglers Livorno on Saturday.

Mario Balotelli marked his 50th Milan appearance with his 30th goal for the club thanks to a glancing header shortly before half-time, while Adel Taarabt's composed finish doubled the lead shortly after the break.

Substitute Giampaolo Pazzini wrapped up the points in the closing stages by coolly slotting past Francesco Bardi in the Livorno goal.

Milan's hopes of securing a spot in the UEFA Europa League have been boosted by their recent fruitful run, but that has failed to quell rumours that Seedorf will depart San Siro at the end of the season, despite only replacing Massimiliano Allegri in January.

But Seedort insists he is not the person to ask regarding his future.

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, he said: "I don't know (if I will be replaced), you'd have to talk to the club. I can't speak for others.

"I am focused on bringing home as many points as possible, that is what was asked of me, and try to prepare for next season."

Seedorf, meanwhile, was delighted with Balotelli's impact as he played a part in all three goals and believes the Italy international is improving the mental side of his game.

He added: "Balotelli is maturing psychologically and this allows him to do better both on and off the field.

"I hope he continues along this path."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pogba coy over future

20 April 2014

441779header.jpg

Paul Pogba has thanked Juventus fans for their support but refused to commit his long-term future to the club.

The France midfielder has enhanced his reputation since joining Juve from Manchester United in 2012.

Pogba's impressive form has led to talk of another move, with the likes of Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid linked with a bid for the 21-year-old.

With Pogba under contract until 2016, he is in no rush to sign a new deal and, despite being grateful for the backing shown to him by Juve fans, the former United man is offering no assurances that he will remain in Turin.

He told Sky Sport Italia: "It makes me happy that the fans sing, 'Don't sell Pogba',"

"It gives me so much of a buzz when I go on to the field.

"It gives me an even greater desire to improve myself, so I'm grateful to the fans for their songs. I'm very content to make them happy.

"At the moment, though, my only concern is the present and what's happening now.

"I've not spoken with anyone, neither about my future or my contract.

"Sure, it pleases me to know that other clubs want me, but I repeat - I'm only thinking about what happens on the pitch and winning the Scudetto."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamsik is not for sale, declares De Laurentiis

392620_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Apr 19, 2014 1:44:00 PM

The outspoken president says the the Slovakia international is the most Neapolitan player in the squad and insists he won't let him leave this summer

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis insists that Solvakian midfielder Marek Hamsik is not for sale.

Amid reports the 26-year-old could be allowed to leave the Stadio San Paolo at the end of the season, the outspoken president insisted that is not the case.

Premier League duo Chelsea and Manchester United have been linked with Hamsik, who has seen high-profile team-mates such as Ezequiel Lavezzi and Edinson Cavani leave in recent seasons, both to Paris Saint-Germain.

De Laurentiis told Radio Kiss Kiss. "It's only journalists who put him on the market.

"Marek has to come and tell me if he wants to go, but there is no more Neapolitan player than him. He has become Neapolitan and for me he is absolutely not for sale.

"Of course if he came to me and asked to leave, then we'd have to discuss it."

De Laurentiis also confirmed he was considering a follow-up move for Lyon midfielder Maxime Gonalons, after seeing a €17million bid in January fail.

"We will have time to think about it," he said. "I found an immediate agreement with Gonalons, but it was [Lyon president Jean-Michel] Aulas who dug his heels in and pushed things beyond every level.

"Now I don't want to take revenge on Lyon, as that is not part of my nature. Everyone thinks they have gems and ask for outlandish prices."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

CONI president Malago blasts 'below-par' Serie A

389312_heroa.jpg

Apr 21, 2014 11:49:00 PM

The 55-year-old, who did praise both Juventus and Roma, also lashed out at club owners for their "scandalous" decision to invest in players rather than stadia for years

CONI president Giovanni Malago has described this season's Serie A championship as "below par", claiming that something has to be done to restore the Italian game to its former glory.

Roma have pushed Juventus all the way in this season's title race but the Bianconeri are still poised to claim their third consecutive Scudetto as they sit eight points clear of Rudi Garcia's resurgent Giallorossi with just four rounds remaining.

Malago has been impressed by the pair's consistency but he feels that the rest of the league are lagging far too far behind.

"What is coming to an end has not been a great championship, even if Juventus have been monstrous and Roma fantastic,” he told Radio Anch’io Lo Sport.

“For too many months the positions in the League have been locked in a season which has been below par, as has also been shown by the Italian clubs’ path in Europe.

“This year clubs do not need 40 points to avoid relegation, they can achieve survival with a lot less.

“There have been so many games that haven’t been pretty, topped with a spectacle in front of quiet stadia.

“Certainly compliments should be made to Juve and I wish them luck to win the Europa League. Roma have been great, but with those numbers they had to win a championship. We must do something."

Indeed, Malago, whose CONI organisation is charged with the development and running of sport in Italy, feels that it is high time that there was proper investment in Italian football stadia.

“You have to wonder why a few years ago the league was the best in the world and now we have slipped back," he stated.

“We do not have the money of the sheikhs who have bought big clubs abroad, so we need to find alternatives, with an intelligent policy.

“If I think back to years ago, when our football was at the top, instead of squandering nefarious amounts on signings, Presidents could have invested a few million in stadiums. It was a scandalous choice.”

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barbara Berlusconi: Profits as important as results for AC Milan

388166_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
Apr 22, 2014 7:28:00 PM

The 29-year-old daughter of club owner Silvio views the game as a business and says that there are many ways in which the Rossoneri can increase their revenue

AC Milan vice-president Barbara Berlusconi says that football is not only about winning, but also making money.

The daughter of Rossoneri owner Silvio sees the sport as a business and believes there are many ways in which a club can increase its revenue in order to be more financially competitive.

“It is not only important to win titles but also generate profits,” Berlusconi said in an interview with Vanity Fair Spain.

"Football is a booming business in which there is still much to do. Our business is football, but there are countless side activities that can generate a lot of profits, such as the sale of the shirts and sponsorships."

Milan have had a difficult time since being forced to sell star duo Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva to Paris Saint-Germain in the summer of 2012 to balance the books.

Indeed, they are set to finish trophy-less for the second successive term, although a late rally has, at least, put them in contention to secure Europa League football for next season.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Handanovic would cost €80m, says Pagliuca

390333_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
Apr 22, 2014 5:30:00 PM

The Slovenia international has been linked with a move to Manchester City, but only a world record bid for a keeper will prize him away according to one former San Siro star

Former Inter goalkeeper Gianluca Pagliuca says the club's current No.1 Samir Handanovic is worth €70-€80 million.

The 29-year-old has kept 14 clean sheets in 33 Serie A appearances this term and subsequently been linked with a move to Premier League side Manchester City.

However, Pagliuca believes it would take a world record bid for a keeper for the Nerazzurri to even consider parting with the Slovenia international.

"He is a player that makes the difference, of course,” Pagliuca told TuttoSport. “If a team were to offer 70 or 80 million euros then maybe they could take him, otherwise they will have to look elsewhere and find someone else.

"Handanovic’s year didn’t start so well but he recovered and is having a super season finale.

“Yes, he has made a couple of mistakes against Atalanta and Parma for example, but, no discussion is needed, his performances have been good.

“Handanovic did well last year, but also had the ghost of Julio Cesar to get rid of. After [Gianluigi] Buffon, he is the best goalkeeper in the Serie A.”

Pagliuca also added that Inter made the right decision to send 22-year-old goalkeeper Francesco Bardi out on loan.

"He has an assured future, is a great prospect and has had a good season. But he is still young and needs to play with continuity.

“I would send him out on loan again next season and would make a decision in the summer of 2015. Right now, Inter must stick with Handanovic.”