• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona v Valencia: Leaders primed for stiff La Liga test

16 April 2015

829000header.jpg

Barcelona face a potentially stern test of their La Liga title credentials when they host Valencia on Saturday.

Luis Enrique's league leaders left the door ajar at the summit when they threw away a two-goal advantage to draw 2-2 at Sevilla, meaning Real Madrid now sit just two points behind in second.

Barca were back to their irresistible best in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday as Luis Suarez netted a brilliant brace in an impressive 3-1 win at Paris Saint-Germain.

Their return to domestic action could be a testing one, with Valencia currently in possession of the fourth Champions League qualifying spot.

In the corresponding fixture last season, the visitors prevailed 3-2 thanks to goals from Dani Parejo, Pablo Piatti and Francisco Alcacer, with Alexis Sanchez and Lionel Messi on target for Barca, who had Jordi Alba sent off.

The Catalan giants ultimately missed out on the title by three points and will be keen for Valencia not to have such an influential say on proceedings this time around.

Defender Gerard Pique made his 300th appearance for Barca in Paris and has urged his team-mates to remain focused as a campaign where they could also claim the Copa del Rey moves towards its potentially glorious conclusion.

"We are very confident on the back of the results we have been earning this season," he said.

"We are aware of how difficult it is to have a chance in three different competitions. But we can't have a rest this Saturday against Valencia. It is so hard to keep going, but it is a challenge we can face.

"We have all learned a little bit. We had a lead against Sevilla and then they pulled one back and we let the game slip away."

Despite fifth-placed Sevilla's heroics last weekend, Valencia were able to edge three points clear of them in fourth thanks to a 3-0 win over Levante.

Alcacer opened the scoring before second-half strikes from Sofiane Feghouli and Alvaro Negredo moved Nuno Santo's team to within a point of champions Atletico Madrid in third.

Barca midfielder Andres Iniesta is a major doubt for the match having left the field on a stretcher in midweek. The club's official website confirmed that the Spain star had "suffered heavy bruising in the pelvic region".

Valencia duo Enzo Perez (thigh) and Piatti (hamstring) remain doubtful, while full-back Jose Luis Gaya has returned to full training following a hamstring problem.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Malaga: Torres braced for challenging Bernabeu return

16 April 2015

828847header.jpg

Malaga full-back Miguel Torres makes the trip to former club Real Madrid this weekend and the Spaniard knows his side will be up against it at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The 29-year-old began his career at Real, spending three years in the first team and he will return with a Malaga side comfortably in the top half of La Liga.

Real return to domestic action following a gruelling 0-0 draw with rivals Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Champions League, with Carlo Ancelotti's men looking to keep the pressure on Barcelona at the summit.

Victory over Eibar last time out helped put Real within two points of the top.

However, following the midweek stalemate at the Vicente Calderon, Sergio Ramos suggested Real may feel the effects, telling reporters: "In the second half, the physical aspect weighed on us a bit more. With the dry pitch, it did not help our game."

Malaga, winless in four Liga outings, retain a slim hope of ensuring a European qualification place, but Torres is under no illusions as to the size of the task they face on Saturday.

"We need to be smart, as there will be times when we'll struggle, so we must remain organised and strong," he said.

"This type of team has players - starting players and substitutes - that could form part of any line-up in any team in the world.

"They've had a very physical match this week but being in the situation they're in, competing for the League title, they'll give 100 per cent on Saturday against us.

"We don't think they'll be focusing on the Champions League return leg at all on Saturday.

"We have a brave coach who works extremely hard in each match and we're a humble team at work, so I hope we can stand up to Madrid to make the fans and the club proud of us."

Malaga caused a major upset in February with a 1-0 victory over Barcelona, but Torres foresees a different approach this time around.

"The match against Barcelona was difficult and we worked well in order to stake our claim," he added.

"We won't have the same approach on Saturday as we did in the match against Barcelona, as they are different rivals.

"But we will have the same level of sacrifice, commitment and excitement to show the fans we're fighting until the end."

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deportivo La Coruna v Atletico Madrid: Simeone´s men continue battle for third

16 April 2015

828844header.jpg

Atletico Madrid travel to Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday knowing that a slip-up could see them lose their grip on third place in La Liga.

Diego Simeone's side remain in contention for a place in the last four of the UEFA Champions League following Tuesday's goalless stalemate with rivals Real Madrid in the first leg of their quarter-final.

However, attentions revert to domestic matters this weekend, which for Atleti means cementing their grip on an automatic spot in next season's Champions League.

Valencia closed to within two points of Atletico with a 3-0 victory over Levante on Monday but, ahead of Sunday's trip to the Riazor, Antoine Griezmann said his team-mates are prepared for their return to action.

The in-form Frenchman backed Simeone to get the most out of his squad during the season's run-in.

"He's a leader. His team talks are impressive. He spurs you on and makes you want to give your all. That's his strength," Griezmann told Champions Matchday magazine.

"He tries to motivate you for him and for the team. I learn from him every day.

"It's about there not being just one or 14 players; it's an entire squad who live together and give everything in training."

Saturday's clash will be the second in charge for Depor coach Victor Sanchez del Amo, after he oversaw a 2-2 draw against Real Sociedad in his first game.

Toche's late equaliser leaves Depor as one of three clubs on 28 points - above Almeria and Levante in 16th on goal difference.

Despite their precarious position, on-loan winger Lucas Perez maintains the club will not return to the second tier.

"The only one that will not be among the bottom three is Deportivo. I said from day one, we will not go down," he told reporters this week.

"The intensity and the team's attitude has always been there. Right now you cannot draw many conclusions from what has been against Real Sociedad, the coach had only two days.

"Give him time. We are very happy with him, you have to be helped to integrate as soon as possible, then we can learn what he wants on the pitch."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Iniesta back in training despite bruising

16 April 2015

828925header.jpg

Andres Iniesta returned to light training on Thursday after tests showed heavy bruising in the pelvic region following Barcelona's 3-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain.

The midfielder was substituted after 53 minutes in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final on Wednesday following a challenge with Javier Pastore in the French capital.

Iniesta left the field on a stretcher, but tests revealed he only suffered bruising and Barca confirmed he was able to take part in light exercises on Thursday.

The Catalan giants went on to score two more goals after Iniesta's substitution, taking a commanding lead in the tie ahead of next week's second leg.

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique is always in charge, Bartomeu warns Neymar

josep-maria-bartomeu-luis-enrique_1mg01unvex8lr19avky425ialv.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Apr 16, 2015 10:37:21

The Brazilian reacted angrily to being substituted against Sevilla last weekend, with the president issuing a thinly-veiled warning

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has warned Neymar he must obey the decisions of Luis Enrique following his touchline outburst last weekend.

The Brazilian reacted angrily to being substituted during the 2-2 draw with Sevilla after scoring a fine free-kick earlier in the game and could be seen throwing his boots to the floor in disgust in the dug-out.

However, he responded by scoring the opener in Wednesday's 3-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain as the Catalans took control of their Champions League quarter-final ahead of next week's second leg.

Bartomeu insisted that he is happy his players are always keen to complete the full 90 minutes but says the coach's authority must not be compromised.

"I understand everyone wants to play and contribute and that's a good thing," he told AS.

"There are issues that remain in the locker room but we have a coach who solves things. The coach is always in charge in the locker room.

"We are in the midst of a great season: we're top of La Liga, in the Copa del Rey final and close to the Champions League semi-finals.

"Everyone wants to contribute to it."

Bartomeu added his delight with the team's performance in the French capital but says their path to the last four is not yet secure.

"I haven't been to the locker room. I have congratulated Luis Enrique on the great game and result; we're leaving with a big smile on our face.

"We have played very well at a high level. Every time we play we're in better form and we're playing with intelligence and intensity.

"We have to be careful because this is the Champions League but we have a good result and three goals.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atleti a different beast under Simeone, says Forlan

17 April 2015

829257header.jpg

Atletico Madrid's defensive performance in the UEFA Champions League against Real Madrid proves that they have become a different beast under Diego Simeone, according to Diego Forlan.

Simeone's men were second best for much of a cagey quarter-final first leg with their city rivals at Estadio Vicente Calderon on Tuesday.

Yet they were able to stand firm for a goalless draw thanks in part to a fine goalkeeping performance from Jan Oblak, setting the stage for a tense second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu next Wednesday.

"Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid is a different beast to the team I played for," former Atletico striker Forlan wrote in his column for The National.

"The first thing he did when he arrived, soon after I'd left the club in 2011, was fix the defence. He said he wanted to see an "aggressive, strong, combative and determined team", and his impact was immediate, with six clean sheets in his first six games.

"They had not managed one in the nine games before he took over.

"When I played for Atletico, the team had an attacking mentality. Myself and Sergio Aguero, with support from Jose Reyes and Simao, were all expected to get goals, and we did.

"I got 35 in 2009 and 28 a year later. Aguero scored over 20 both years, too. In one game we had scored four past Barcelona, but conceded three.

"Simeone changed that. Defence is vital to his teams as we saw against Real Madrid in the Champions League on Tuesday.

"The teams have met seven times this season and Madrid [Real] haven't won once. They were so dominant in the first half of the Champions League game on Tuesday, but the ball would not go in.

"Atletico defend with such confidence, even against a team like Madrid. It wasn't a surprise.

"It will be hard for Atletico on the bigger Bernabeu pitch, and I’d expect them to defend again. But I wouldn't be surprised if they counter-attacked, scored and went through. But then let's not get carried away."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Levante 2 Espanyol 2: Late Victor strike earns struggling hosts a point

17 April 2015

0.jpg

La Liga strugglers Levante failed to give their survival hopes a major boost as they required a late Victor Casadesus equaliser to salvage a 2-2 draw with Espanyol.

The Valencia-based outfit went into the match level on points with 18th-placed Almeria, aiming to put daylight between themselves and the relegation zone.

However, the hosts rarely looked capable of stealing all three points, as Espanyol forced them to come from behind twice in front of their own fans.

Lucas Vazquez, who has impressed on loan from Real Madrid this term, opened the scoring in the 18th minute for the away side, finding the bottom-right corner after creating space for himself inside the area.

Levante hit back through Simao Mate three minutes later, the Mozambique internaional nodding in from a corner, only for in-form Felipe Caicedo to restore Espanyol's lead just before the break, holding off Juanfran to find the net against his former team.

Espanyol could not hold on, though, as Victor latched on to Kalu Uche's flick-on and slammed home from 14 yards three minutes from time to earn Levante a point, and dent the visitors already-slim chances of UEFA Europa League qualification.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona 2 Valencia 0: Suarez and Messi on target as leaders battle to win

18 April 2015

829958header.jpg

Leaders Barcelona returned to winning way in La Liga with a hard fought 2-0 victory over Valencia.

Luis Enrique's team had their lead at the summit cut to two points last weekend when they let a two-goal lead slip in a draw 2-2 at Sevilla.

Barca rediscovered their devastating best form with an emphatic 3-1 UEFA Champions League triumph at Paris Saint-Germain in midweek – Luis Suarez starring with a dazzling brace.

And Suarez picked up where they left off at Camp Nou on Saturday by firing Barca ahead after 55 seconds.

But the anticipated dominant display did not follow as Valencia spurned numerous chances to equalise, most notable when captain Dani Parejo had a penalty saved and Andre Gomes struck the post.

Barca recovered their poise after half-time and Lionel Messi netted his 400th goal for the club in stoppage time, putting pressure on nearest rivals Real Madrid, who host Malaga later on Saturday.

Sergio Busquets was selected in a more advanced position than his customary holding midfield role, with Andres Iniesta an injury absence for Barcelona, and he revelled in this freedom by playing a key role in the opening goal.

Busquets threaded an inch-perfect pass for Messi to race towards a backpedalling Valencia defence and play in Suarez for a clinical low finish.

Valencia forward Rodrigo skipped past Gerard Pique to curl a shot narrowly wide and he drew a foul from the ailing Spain centre-back to win a 10th-minute penalty.

Barcelona goalkeeper Claudio Bravo spared his team-mate's blushes by saving and holding Parejo's tamely struck effort.

The early setbacks did not dent Valencia's confidence – Nicolas Otamendi heading just wide at the far post before Paco Alcacer turned wide from close range and Javier Mascherano produced a vital 22nd-minute block to thwart the same player.

Gomes engineered space on the edge of the area to strike the base of the post after 33 minutes, while Alcacer failed to punish the creaking Barca defence by curling over from 20 yards.

Messi blasted wide at the far post on the end of a move he started five minutes before the break, failing to hand the hosts a second goal they scarcely deserved.

Luis Enrique introduced Ivan Rakitic in place of Adriano at half-time, meaning Mascherano dropped in at centre-back and Jeremy Mathieu moved to left-back against his former club.

Barca played with far greater control after the restart, although Neymar and Messi were unable to make acrobatic efforts count.

Messi curled a sumptuous 64th-minute free-kick against the crossbar having been felled by Parejo before Suarez was replaced by Pedro to a standing ovation.

The Camp Nou's other hero of the afternoon, Bravo, displayed excellent reactions to deny Rodrigo following a 75th-minute penalty box scramble.

Pedro rippled the side netting late on but Messi had the final word - striding forward unchallenged on the break to beat Diego Alves at the second attempt and rack up another phenomenal career landmark.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lopetegui dismisses Real link

18 April 2015

829754header.jpg

Julen Lopetegui said he has no interest in becoming coach of Real Madrid, with the Porto boss "very happy" in Portugal.

Former Spain U-21 coach Lopetegui, 48, is reportedly in consideration to replace Carlo Ancelotti at the end of the season, with Real adrift of arch-rivals Barcelona in La Liga.

Lopetegui has spent less than a year in charge of the Primeira Liga giants but his stock has increased dramatically since leaving Spain's youth team to take the reins at Porto, who stunned Bayern Munich 3-1 in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie midweek.

"This news does not interest me. I am very happy to be the coach of Porto," said Lopetegui.

"[I am] very happy for the three-year project that I have here. Tomorrow [Saturday] we have a very important match."

Porto welcome Academica to Estadio do Dragao on Saturday, looking to close the gap on rivals Benfica, who top the standings by three points after 28 rounds.

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: No calls from Manchester City

17 April 2015

829278header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has quelled talk he will leave the Santiago Bernabeu at the end of the season.

The Italian has seen his future become the subject of discussion in recent weeks with his contract due to expire at the end of the next season.

Premier League champions Manchester City have been credited with an interest in the former Milan boss and Ancelotti says that while his future remains somewhat unclear, he is planning for next season at Real.

"I have another year to run and that’s enough time to see whether I will renew my contract or not," he told esRadio.

"I'm not in any hurry; if the club hasn't called me yet, they might call me to discuss it in September or maybe not call at all.

"Nobody has called me from Manchester City, in fact the talk is about [Jurgen] Klopp going there.

"I am not going to request a contract extension. Coaches depend on the results they attain and anything could happen. I am already planning the pre-season."

Real remain in the running for a treble this season but must negotiate the second leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final with Atletico after Tuesday's first leg ended goalless.

"I've watched a video of the game. I was happy because the team played well, especially in the first half," he added.

"It's difficult to play at a complicated ground like the Calderon but we weren't happy with the result.

"This time we'll be at home and that's what counts."

Ancelotti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti has no plans to sign new goalkeeper

18 April 2015

829737header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti backed goalkeeper Iker Casillas amid talk of David de Gea's imminent arrival, while the Italian boss reiterated his desire to remain at The Santiago Bernabeu next season.

Manchester United keeper De Gea is tipped to replace countryman Casillas as Real's number one in 2015-16 in a big-money deal, with the latter often made a scapegoat by the club's supporters in recent seasons.

But Ancelotti, who himself faces an uncertain future in the Spanish capital with Real adrift of La Liga leaders Barcelona, said he has total faith in the 33-year-old international keeper.

"I see myself here at Real Madrid next season, with Casillas and with all of the others who are doing a good job," Ancelotti told reporters on Friday.

"It's not an important question at this point in time. We are focused on what we need to do."

When asked who might be a better keeper than Casillas, Ancelotti said: "It's not for me to list a ranking of goalkeepers; I have three very good goalkeepers who I am happy with.

"The best goalkeepers in the world are the ones I have in my squad. I've never spoken about signing another goalkeeper."

Real - two points behind Barca with seven matches remaining - host Malaga on Saturday.

Simeone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Magnificent Messi brings up 400 Barca goals

18 April 2015

829999header.jpg

Lionel Messi reached another landmark in his phenomenal Barcelona career on Saturday by notching his 400th competitive goal for the Liga giants.

Argentina superstar Messi sealed a 2-0 victory over Valencia for Luis Enrique's league leaders during stoppage time at Camp Nou, reaching the quadruple century in his 471st appearance.

Messi, who surpassed Paulino Alcantara as Barca's all-time leading scorer last season, has broken a host of records this term.

In November, he struck a hat-trick against Sevilla to overhaul Telmo Zarra's previous best La Liga goals mark of 251.

Messi's La Liga numbers now come in at 278 goals in 309 matches.

During the same month he replaced Real Madrid great Raul as the UEFA Champions League's all-time top goalscorer, although he now lies level with great rival Cristiano Ronaldo on 75.

When Messi took home the matchball against Rayo Vallecano in March it was his 32nd hat-trick - passing another of former Athletic Bilbao striker Zarra's Spanish records.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Penalty hero Bravo plays down role in Barca win

18 April 2015

830027header.jpg

Barcelona goalkeeper Claudio Bravo dismissed his penalty heroics in the 2-0 win over Valencia as being part of his job.

Luis Enrique's league leaders surged ahead after 55 seconds through in-form striker Luis Suarez on Saturday, but their opponents proceeded to push them back for much of the opening period.

Bravo was on hand to crucially keep out a 10th-minute penalty from Dani Parejo, while Andre Gomes hit the post for Nuno Santo's men.

It was left to Camp Nou hero Lionel Messi to complete the win and score his 400th goal for Barcelona in stoppage time, but Bravo refused to accept his share of the plaudits.

"There are specific moments when goalkeepers must intervene and save the situation," he told GolT after the game.

"When you have a penalty, before it a lot is going through your head, but the first thing that comes to mind is to stop it."

Barcelona touched their brilliant best during Wednesday's 3-1 UEFA Champions League quarter-final first-leg win against Paris Saint-Germain and Bravo believed those efforts might have taken their toll on his team-mates.

"[Valencia] were a very good team in every department and made life difficult for us on several occasions," he added. "We came [into this match] on the back of a big effort in Paris.

"Sometimes you all have to pull together when the game isn't going your way, especially when you arrive on the back of a game like Wednesday's.

"Now what we have to do is think of ourselves, go step by step and maintain at [this] level. This victory leaves us all very happy."

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Deportivo La Coruna 1 Atletico Madrid 2: Griezmann brace does the damage

18 April 2015

830030header.jpg

Atletico Madrid went four points clear of Valencia in third place after a 2-1 win over La Liga strugglers Deportivo La Coruna at Estadio Riazor, with Antoine Griezmann netting a first-half brace.

The French winger was moved into a more central role with striker Mario Mandzukic rested for Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against Real Madrid.

And Griezmann proved his versatility with just five minutes played, slamming an overhead kick past Deportivo goalkeeper Fabricio from 12 yards out.

That was never likely to be the end of the scoring for Griezmann, who tortured the Deportivo defence throughout with his outstanding pace, and so it proved.

Griezmann's second, a much simpler but equally effective finish on the half-volley, felt like a game killer even if there was still 70 minutes left to play.

From that point on, Atletico allowed Deportivo control of the ball but not of the game, as the visitors posed the only real threat with occasional breakaway attacks.

Oriol Riera did set up a grandstand finish with a powerful header at the near post in Deportivo's only really presentable opening, but they could not find the leveller they so craved.

Atletico pressed Deportivo back from the kick-off and were rewarded with just five minutes played when Griezmann sent a brilliant overhead kick into the roof of the net having been given the freedom of the penalty area.

Although the Frenchman appeared to be offside when the ball was flicked back into the area by Jose Gimenez, replays showed Riera's delayed run out of defence was playing him on.

Deportivo battled to get a foothold in the game, but after 21 minutes Griezmann doubled the visitors' advantage, driving a low half-volley back across goal after a throw-in from the left found its way to him at the far post.

Despite their dominance, Atletico showed a familiar devilment in their play, with Diego Godin booked for leading into a challenge with his elbow and Raul Garcia shown a yellow card soon after for dissent.

Deportivo dominated the ball for the remainder of the half, but could not force mid-week hero Jan Oblak into a single save of note as Atletico easily soaked up the pressure.

The theme continued in the second half, with Atletico surrendering possession without conceding chances, while Griezmann chased his hat-trick with a couple of threatening runs into the area.

With his thoughts firmly on the Champions League, Atletico coach Diego Simeone brought off Arda Turan and Griezmann for Raul Jimenez and Fernando Torres respectively.

The duo were involved in an extraordinary miss soon after coming on, although it would be unfair not to mention Deportivo goalkeeper Fabricio, who made a great triple save.

Saving Jiminez's initial shot when one-on-one, Fabricio then kept out efforts from Raul Garcia before Alberto Lopo cleared off the line from Torres.

And Atletico were given a nervous finale when Riera powered home a header at the near post after Sidnei's outstanding cross from the left with 12 minutes remaining.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale limps off for Real Madrid with apparent calf injury

18 April 2015

830056header.jpg

Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale limped out of his team's Saturday La Liga meeting with Malaga, making him a major doubt for next week's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.

Wales international Bale pulled up during the opening moments of the match at the Santiago Bernabeu and he went to the turf clutching his left calf.

It soon became apparent that Bale would be unable to continue and he was replaced by striker Javier Hernandez in the fifth minute.

Bale was reported to be struggling with muscle fatigue heading into the Malaga match, while Real coach Carlo Ancelotti could not name France frontman Karim Benzema in his squad due to a knee injury.

The injury continues a difficult second season for the former Tottenham star in the Spanish capital.

Bale's performances have been regularly questioned by the local media and he was confronted by angry supporters at Real's training ground after missing an opportunity to open the scoring during Tuesday's goalless first leg with Atletico

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone lauds first-half display

18 April 2015

830119header.jpg

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone paid tribute to a blistering first-half display from his players that led to Saturday's 2-1 win at Deportivo La Coruna.

Antoine Griezmann struck twice inside the opening 22 minutes at the Riazor, before Oriol Riera pulled one back for the hosts 12 minutes from time.

Simeone, who was sent from the touchline for protesting to the officials, watched on as his side took the victory to remain third, four points clear of Valencia, who lost 2-0 at Barcelona.

"We played a great first half, where the team came out strong and won the game," Simeone said.

"Obviously, the 2-1 result is close and the other team had the enthusiasm but there was no sense of danger.

"The goals helped us manage the game better, especially in the first half. In the second half, we wanted to have more scoring chances than we had.

"[Deportivo coach Victor Sanchez] came out with a very offensive team with enormous courage to find the result.

"He played a game with players of great class, and unfortunately for them our quick goals prevented them from sticking to the plan they had."

Victory cements Atletico's position in the third and final UEFA Champions League qualification spot, but Simeone insists their work is far from done.

"It is not a definitive step because it is very tight," he said. "There are many nerves, much anxiety, much responsibility for reaching the goals that clubs want and need to be in the Champions League.

"We have a lot of responsibility and will have to sustain the effort and competition because there are many games left."

Atletico's next test comes at city rivals Real in the Champions League quarter-final second leg on Wednesday, with the tie finely balanced after a goalless draw at Vicente Calderon earlier this week.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid 3 Malaga 1: Ramos, Rodriguez and Ronaldo do the business for Real

18 April 2015

830124header.jpg

Real Madrid kept up the chase in La Liga's title race with a 3-1 win over Malaga at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The hosts lost Gareth Bale to an early injury but broke the deadlock when captain Sergio Ramos converted James Rodriguez's free-kick.

Colombia playmaker Rodriguez impressed throughout and netted a spectacular second in the 69th minute, shortly after winning a penalty that Cristiano Ronaldo uncharacteristically blasted against the post.

Juanmi, who scored the winner for Malaga when they stunned Barcelona at the Camp Nou in February, reduced the deficit in the 71st minute but Ronaldo atoned for his earlier miss in stoppage time.

Carlo Ancelotti's team close to within two points of Barca at the summit after their rivals beat Valencia 2-0 on Saturday, although the injury to Bale and a later knock for Luka Modric leaves the coach with plenty to ponder ahead of Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.

Real headed into the match with their forward line depleted due to Karim Benzema's knee injury and there were further problems in attack for Ancelotti during the opening moments.

Under-fire Wales international Bale went to ground clutching his calf and limped off to be replaced by Javier Hernandez in the fifth minute.

On-loan Manchester United striker Hernandez celebrated a rare start by scoring in last weekend's 3-0 win over Eibar and he almost found the net once more as Carlos Kameni brilliantly tipped the Mexican's header from Rodriguez's free-kick over the crossbar.

A set-piece proved to be Malaga’s undoing in the 24th minute, as Rodriguez fired in another excellent delivery for Ramos to volley home from point-blank range – Malaga's offside appeals falling on deaf ears.

Rodriguez continued his fine start to the match with a venomous 18-yard strike, from which Kameni saved superbly.

Ramos and Rodriguez had the ball in the net twice in quick succession, only to fall foul of Malaga's risky offside trap, but the visitors should have been level eight minutes before half-time.

Marcelo failed to deal with Arthur Boka's cross but Sergi Darder lashed his shot wastefully over from 10 yards.

Ancelotti looked on anxiously as another key man, Modric, sustained a blow to his right knee in a challenge with Malaga midfielder Recio and soon made way for Asier Illarramendi.

Real's Toni Kroos made a vital block from Boka's attempt on the end of a cleverly worked corner before Ronaldo failed to secure a two-goal cushion in the 67th minute.

Rodriguez drew a trip from Samu Castillejo but, as Kameni guessed correctly, Ronaldo steered his spot-kick against the base of the upright.

The 2-0 scoreline duly arrived two minutes later – Ronaldo teeing up Rodriguez to complete a flowing move with an emphatic strike into the top corner from the edge of the area – but Malaga found a swift response.

Once more they found joy down the Madrid left and Juanmi was given ample room to head Roberto Rosales' cross past Iker Casillas.

A frantic finish ensued but Madrid's greater attacking firepower ultimately told as Ronaldo tucked home a cutback from the tireless Hernandez to seal victory.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale and Modric injuries sour Real win

18 April 2015

0.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti was left to count the cost of his team's hard-fought 3-1 La Liga win over Malaga.

Captain Sergio Ramos broke the deadlock in the 24th minute and the excellent James Rodriguez and Cristiano Ronaldo added goals either side of a header from visiting forward Juanmi.

Ronaldo's 50th goal of the season – the fifth consecutive campaign in which the Portuguese superstar has reached this milestone – arrived in stoppage time after he struck the post with an earlier penalty.

But a Real attack already missing Karim Benzema due to a knee problem was shorn of Gareth Bale inside the first five minutes after the Wales international went the turf clutching his left calf.

In the second half, midfielder Luka Modric suffered a painful blow to his right knee in a challenge with Recio before being substituted, leaving Ancelotti sweating on the fitness of the duo ahead of Wednesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second-leg showdown with Atletico Madrid.

"Modric has a knee problem and Bale calf but we cannot say more for now, we have to assess them in the coming days," the Real coach explained.

"They are not completely excluded [from the Atletico game]. We must conduct examinations and assess all this."

Ancelotti did sound a note of optimism over Benzema's prospects of being involved next week, when Real will look to edge out their neighbours at the Santiago Bernabeu having shared a goalless first leg.

"He will be there, his condition is improving," the Italian said of Benzema.

"We have four days ahead and the possibility that he recovers well."

Real remain two points behind La Liga leaders Barcelona after their bitter rivals claimed a 2-0 win over Valencia earlier on Saturday and Ancelotti hopes the tussle for the title goes right down to the wire.

"I hope the title isn't decided before the last day," he added. "We're still in the title race and both teams have tough games because there's lots at stake for everyone.

"Barca have the advantage, but we'll try to do well in all our remaining matches."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Athletic Bilbao 4 Getafe 0: Hosts end winless run

18 April 2015

830240header.jpg

Athletic Bilbao maintained their hopes of qualifying for Europe after a 4-0 thrashing of Getafe in La Liga on Saturday.

A brace from Aritz Aduriz and late goals from Ibai Gomez and Markel Susaeta saw Ernesto Valverde's men end a three-game winless run.

The win lifted Bilbao into eighth in the table, eight points adrift of Villarreal – who are sixth and occupy the final European place.

Getafe, who sit 13th and eight points clear of the bottom three, were reduced to 10 men in the 44th minute when Emiliano Velazquez saw red, and it proved costly.

Velazquez denied Bilbao an obvious goalscoring opportunity just before the break, and Aduriz sent Vicente Guaita the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Aduriz doubled Bilbao's advantage early in the second half with a good finish after being played through by Andoni Iraola.

The hosts needed until late on to seal the win, with Ibai heading in a Susaeta cross before the latter tapped in the fourth.

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Illarramendi eager for Real stay

19 April 2015

830359header.jpg

Asier Illarramendi spoke of his desire to stay at Real Madrid after playing his part in Saturday's 3-1 La Liga win over Malaga.

The midfielder has started only 11 games for the European champions this season, but replaced Luka Modric on the hour-mark at the Santiago Bernabeu after the Croatia international's participation was cut short due to injury.

Illarramendi has endured a frustrating time since making the move from Real Sociedad, but the 25-year-old is not looking to move on at the end of the season.

He said: "I have a contract here and I am very happy. I had a bit of difficulty adapting last year. However, now I am very happy here in the city and with my team-mates. Of course, I would like to stay here."

Gareth Bale also sustained an injury during a victory which ensured Real remain two points behind leaders Barcelona in the battle for the title.

Carlo Ancelotti's side face Atletico Madrid in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final on Wednesday and Illarramendi is ready to take his chance if called upon.

He added: "They [Bale and Modric] didn't look good but we don't know what is wrong, we have to wait for the tests.

"They are two crucial players for us and we hope that there is nothing wrong with them.

"I am available and if they need me I will be there. I train as hard as I can every day for that chance."