• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Maria suggests separate award for Ronaldo and Messi

9 February 2015

786337header.jpg

Angel di Maria believes FIFA should create a separate award for Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

Having played with both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, Angel di Maria believes the pair deserve to have their own award to fight over.

Di Maria spent four years at Real Madrid with Ronaldo before his move to Old Trafford at the start of this season, while Messi is a long-time team-mate with Argentina.

The goalscoring exploits of Ronaldo and Messi continue to amaze all onlookers, as the duo underline their status as the greatest two players on the planet.

Since the inception of the FIFA Ballon d'Or in 2010, the pair have picked up the award on every occasion, Messi clinching the title in its first three years before Ronaldo laid claim to it in 2013 and 2014.

Ronaldo also won the FIFA World Player of the Year gong in 2008, with Messi taking the honours 12 months later.

The pair have constantly been compared - something which Di Maria insists is a futile task - and the Manchester United man believes their dominance merits a special prize.

"I always say the same thing: that they're two completely different players," he told FIFA.com.

"Leo features in every game, making short bursts and nonchalantly dribbling past one, two or three players with great ball control in tight spaces.

"Cristiano is more about power, long range shots… they're different.

"If I were FIFA, I'd have two Ballon d'Or prizes, one for that pair to fight over, and another for everyone else."

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes keen for Sociedad to sign Ings

9 February 2015

786455header.jpg

Burnley striker Danny Ings is a transfer target for Real Sociedad, head coach David Moyes has confirmed.

Real Sociedad head coach David Moyes has declared an interest in signing Danny Ings, but is unsure whether he will be able to lure the Burnley striker to the Anoeta Stadium.

Ings - who netted 25 times in all competitions last term as the Lancashire club clinched promotion to the Premier League - is a free agent in the close-season as he enters the final few months of the four-year deal he agreed in August 2011.

A return of eight goals in 21 Premier League appearances in 2014-15 has prompted calls for the 22-year-old to be handed a first England call-up and sparked reported interest from the likes of Sociedad, Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle United.

Moyes has publicly spoken of his admiration for the youngster, and suggested more British players should follow in his footsteps by attempting to make a name for themselves overseas.

"Danny Ings is somebody who I think has done really well and is somebody who anybody would like to have," the former Manchester United boss told BBC Radio 5 live.

"Will we be able to attract him here? I don't know, but the British market I know because that's where I've come from and I think there's players there who it would help them, it would help their profile, it'd be great for many of them to go to Spain and try it."

At Sociedad, Moyes is trying to rebuild his reputation following his ill-fated 10-month spell in charge at Old Trafford.

The Scot masterminded a famous victory over Barcelona last month, but has struggled to find any consistency.

While Moyes is relishing life in La Liga, he readily concedes that the language barrier has posed issues.

He added: "It's something that I'm desperately keen to improve, my Spanish. I've got two Spanish lessons a week at the moment and I'm enjoying them.

"But it is difficult to communicate at times. I've got interpreters, but look at Mauricio Pochettino, it took him a while at Southampton to get his English correct. And there's been other managers were it has taken a little longer as well."

On his first three months in charge at Sociedad, Moyes said: "I'm really enjoying it. It's been a change, something I've always wanted to do.

"I always thought it was important that British managers try and go abroad instead of us always importing foreign managers on to our shores. This job came up and it seemed a good fit for me."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid fans angered by Ronaldo party after derby thrashing

928142_heroa.jpg

Feb 9, 2015 19:46:10

A banner was held up by a group of supporters outside the training complex in Valdebebas reading "Your laughter, our shame"

Real Madrid supporters have made their disgust clear after Cristiano Ronaldo went ahead with his birthday celebrations despite his side's thrashing by Atletico Madrid.

The Liga leaders were humiliated by their city rivals on Saturday afternoon, suffering a 4-0 hammering at the Vicente Calderon, which cut the gap between the sides to four points.

Ronaldo, who turned 30 last week, opted to continue with his pre-planned birthday celebrations in the capital on the night after the derby, causing some consternation within the squad.

Supporters have also been less than impressed with leaked images of Madrid's players enjoying themselves at the party.

Two fans were pictured outside the Valdebebas training complex on Monday holding a banner which read, "Your laughter, our shame".

Ronaldo's representative, Jorge Mendes, has stated that the Portugal star was right to go ahead with his celebrations but admitted that his client was disappointed that pictures from the party were leaked on social media sites.

"He is very upset about the images from his birthday that have come out. It was meant to be a private celebration," the agent told Cadena Ser.

"He could not postpone his birthday party because all his family and friends had already come to Madrid, even if he was very disappointed by the defeat against Atletico Madrid.

"The people should support and help him. He is the best professional in the world, an example to follow and he will set this right."

Madrid, who still lead La Liga by a point from Barcelona, will be hoping to get back to winning ways when they host Deportivo at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona sack B-team coach Eusebio Sacristan

926942_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Feb 9, 2015 14:07:13

The club have confirmed Under-19 boss Jordi Vinyals will take over, with the side currently in 17th place in the league standings

Barcelona have confirmed they have terminated the contract of B-team coach Eusebio Sacristan and his assistant Carlos Hugo.

Barca B currently lie in 17th place in the Seguna Division, just six points off the bottom, and were thrashed 4-0 on Saturday by Real Zaragoza in Eusebio's 150th match in charge.

The club has now made the decision to relieve both Eusebio and assistant Hugo of their duties and promote Under-19 boss Jordi Vinyals and coach Pep Munoz to the B-team posts.

"The club wishes to thank him for everything he has done for the club as reserve team coach, where he has very much made his mark, as he did before that as a player," a statement released via Barca's official website reads.

"FC Barcelona wishes them both all the very best in their future careers."

B9Z8d0nIAAEfHbR.jpg

Eusebio, who made more than 200 appearances as a player for the club and was assistant coach to Frank Rijkaard at Camp Nou, took charge of Barca B in 2011 and equalled their best-ever finish in the Segunda A when they came third in 2013-14.

Barcelona have handed the likes of Munir El Haddadi, Rafinha and Adama Traore a number of first-team opportunities this season, with their transfer ban placing increasing importance on the youth system.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Elche 2 Rayo Vallecano 0: Suarez stunner helps Elche off bottom

9 February 2015

786466header.jpg

Damian Suarez's wonder goal helped Elche climb out of La Liga's relegation zone with a 2-0 win over 10-man Rayo Vallecano.

Elche moved off the foot of La Liga and out of the drop zone as Damian Suarez's stunning strike earned a 2-0 success over 10-man Rayo Vallecano on Monday.

The strugglers came into the game two points from safety at the bottom of the table, but lifted themselves to 17th with just their fifth win of the season.

Suarez's goal arrived in the 21st minute and would have graced any stage.

After Rayo partially cleared a free-kick, the ball ran loose to the defender, who smashed an effort into the top right-hand corner from 30 yards.

Rayo then saw Raul Baena dismissed 14 minutes from time after picking up a second caution and six minutes later, substitute Garry Rodrigues exchanged passes with Faycal Fajr and slotted low into the net to seal all three points.

Barcelona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Koeman will see out Southampton deal despite Barca talk

10 February 2015

786839header.jpg

Ronald Koeman refused to rule out a return to Barcelona, but insists he will fulfil his contract as Southampton boss.

Ronald Koeman has insisted he will see out his contract at Southampton despite talk of a potential reunion with Barcelona.

Koeman was quoted on Tuesday as saying that he had previously been "very close" to the Barca dugout while also revealing the presence of exit clause in his contract.

Speaking at his press conference ahead of Wednesday's meeting with West Ham, Koeman refused to rule out a future move to Barca - with whom he spent six years as a player and two as an assistant - but insisted he has no pressing desire to leave Southampton.

He said: "Always Ronald Koeman is linked to Barcelona, that was, that is and will be in the future. I can't do anything about that, I have to respect my contract, I like to respect my contract and I'm very happy in my job.

"What happens in the future? The future doesn't mean next season, the future maybe means about seven years, you never know.

"Of course because I had a great time over there [Barca], that's normal that I have that feeling with them, and they have that feeling with me. There's no reason to be afraid about that."

Asked if he will see out his Southampton contract, Koeman replied: "Yes of course."

Koeman also confirmed that forward Emmanuel Mayuka is out for the season with a groin problem, while defender Matty Targett is a doubt for the West Ham game with head and neck injuries.

But there is positive news on new signing Filip Djuricic, who is in the squad after the Serbian finally received his work permit.

"Filip Djuricic got his work permit yesterday [Monday], and he did a normal training session this morning.

"He's part of the squad for tomorrow. It's not normally good to have a player with one session in the last week but we miss eight, nine players. That means that's an exception to put Djuricic on the bench. If we need a quality player I can put Djuricic in."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Figo defends Ronaldo amid party furore

10 February 2015

786882header.jpg

Real Madrid and Portugal legend Luis Figo has backed compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo amid the fall-out surrounding his 30th birthday party.

Luis Figo has hit out at critics of Cristiano Ronaldo's partying following Real Madrid's comprehensive 4-0 derby defeat to Atletico on Saturday.

Ronaldo attended a pre-arranged gathering for his 30th birthday hours after playing in Real's humiliating loss at Vicente Calderon, with a number of the club's fans protesting against the party at training on Monday.

After a banner reading 'Your laughter, our shame' was held up by supporters, agent Jorge Mendes jumped to his client's defence before ex-Real and Portugal star Figo also weighed in to back his former international team-mate.

"Those who question @Cristiano 's passion for Real @realmadrid and his professionalism, completely ignore his history and his character," read a tweet from the FIFA presidential candidate.

Along with Ronaldo, Real players including Marcelo, James Rodriguez and Keylor Navas were all photographed at the party in Madrid.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti feels ´fighter´ Ibrahimovic is misunderstood

11 February 2015

787322header.jpg

Zlatan Ibrahimovic often courts criticism, but Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has backed his former striker, hailing him a "leader".

Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti has defended Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic by claiming he is a "great professional" who is misinterpreted.

Ancelotti was in charge of the Sweden international during his time at PSG, with the pair part of the successful 2012-13 Ligue 1-title winning team.

Ibrahimovic's conduct - both on and off the pitch - has created controversy throughout his career amid rumours of disputes with team-mates, coaches and opponents in the past.

Marseille full-back Rod Fanni earlier this month claimed he had previously wanted to "punch" Ibrahimovic, who also hit the headlines in the aftermath of PSG's 1-1 draw with Lyon on Sunday when he walked off midway through a post-match interview.

Ancelotti, though, thinks any criticism of him is unfair.

"He jokes and he is a very happy man, he's just kidding," Ancelotti told Sport Bild. "But the image that people have of him is all wrong.

"One time he asked me if I believe in God, so I replied yes, he then asked me, do you think it is me?

"He loves to joke and that is just the way he is but inside there is a great professional.

"He is a winning type, a fighter and a leader within the team.

"I can think of very few strikers like him who prefers to find a great pass than to score a goal."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I was shivering before facing Messi'

345656_heroa.jpg

By Olja Nikolic
Feb 11, 2015 15:45:25

EXCLUSIVE: Villarreal defender Antonio Rukavina who will do battle with the Argentine on Wednesday and has recalled his nerves ahead of their first meeting

Footballers aren't usually forthcoming in revealing their weaknesses before heading into battle, but Villarreal defender Antonio Rukavina says he was "shivering and sweating" before facing Lionel Messi for the first time.

The two players will come up against one another again on Wednesday evening when the Yellow Submarine travel to Camp to take on Barcelona in the first leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final, with the Serbian confident he has overcome his earlier nerves.

Rukavina told Goal: "Nervous? Only ahead of my first game against Messi and Real Madrid. I was so nervous my hands were sweating and my body was shivering. Since then, every other match is just another special challenge for me."

Villarreal head into the game as the underdogs against a Barcelona side enjoying a rich vein of form that continued with a 5-2 victory over Athletic Bilbao on Saturday which cut the gap between the club and La Liga leaders Real Madrid to just a point.

But Marcelino Toral's men have enjoyed a positive campaign of their own and sit sixth in the table, and Rukavina believes the fact he and his team-mates are already being written off could ultimately work in their favour.

"Betting, fans, media, experts... they all say Barca is going to win, everyone says that except us," the 31-year-old continued.

"We see our chance in second leg and today we could even lose by one goal. Last year Barcelona beat us twice, but not easily. Our style of play doesn't suit them! And I am not the only one with that opinion. Every time we played them, we were very close, today might be the day we get reward for all those previous matches.

"Of course you can't attack them, you saw what happened to Athletic on Sunday when they tried it. We just have to be patient. We have to defend great and punish them with contra-attacks. Barcelona are very dominant at Nou Camp and the field is as big as an aeroplane runway, but playing away they are not that dominant."

Espanyol and Athletic Bilbao contest the other semi-final, with the winners of the two last four ties facing one another in the final on May 30.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti hints at Bundesliga interest

395278_heroa.jpg

Alec Fenn
Feb 11, 2015 15:42:18

The Italian is under contract at Real Madrid until the summer of 2016 but revealed his admiration for the Bundesliga and said he would have no problem learning German

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has hinted he could be tempted by a move to the Bundesliga in the future.

The Italian is in just his second season in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu having won the Champions League and Copa del Rey in his maiden campaign in the Madrid dug-out.

Ancelotti came out on top over German opposition when Madrid took on Bayern Munich in the semi-finals of last season's Champions League, with the La Liga leaders running out 5-0 winners over two legs.

The 55-year-old signed a three-year contract upon taking charge at the Bernabeu in the summer of 2013 and the former Milan and Paris Saint-Germain boss has refused to rule out a move to Germany in the future.

In an interview with Bild, the 55-year-old was reminded that Xabi Alonso had sat in the very same seat before going on to sign for the club in August, with Ancelotti joking, "I am superstitious, Bayern is a very big team."

If he was to ever assume the Allianz Arena hotseat, the Italian would follow in the footsteps of one of his coaching compatriots, Giovanni Trapattoni, who enjoyed two spells with the Bavarians in 1994-95 and 1996-98.

When asked by one reporter whether the language barrier could prove problematic, he Ancelotti replied: "If Giovanni Trapattoni can manage in Germany and learn the language then so can I."

The strength of the Bundesliga has increased considerably in recent years as Bayern and Borussia Dortmund have both reached the latter stages of the Champions League on a regular basis, with the pair contesting the 2013 final at Wembley.

Ancelotti was asked for his thoughts on the standard of Germany's top flight, which has a particular relevance given his Madrid side take on Schalke in the last-16 of the competition.

"The Bundesliga has grown rapidly," he praised. "The level is the same as England and Spain and this is why Germany won the World Cup. The technology has improved, I like it, the whole set-up.

He added: "We will be without James Rodriguez, Sergio Ramos, Pepe and Luka Modric, while Schalke's style has changed into the style of an Italian coach, Roberto Di Matteo. Like all Italian coaches he has tried to give the side a sound defensive footing."

Given German football's renaissance, the plight of Dortmund - who were bottom of the Bundesliga prior to their 3-0 win over Freiburg on Saturday - has come as a shock and though he admitted being surprised by their struggles, Ancelotti said BVB boss Jurgen Klopp has been a source of inspiration for him.

"I watched their 1-0 defeat to Augsburg and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. However, I am convinced they will continue to do well in the Champions League and it will be a good tie between them and Juventus.

"Klopp has brought an immense amount to Dortmund. He is world-class and his training has inspired me. Their counter-attacks with fast players were one of the styles I studied the most last season."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Navas not leaving Real Madrid, insists father

698322_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Feb 11, 2015 07:58:22

The goalkeeper has been struggling to secure regular first-team action, but he is desperate to fight for his place and prove his worth

Keylor Navas' father has stressed that the Costa Rica international is not thinking about leaving Real Madrid just yet and is determined to fight for his place in the first-team.

The 28-year-old joined Madrid from Levante after an impressive 2013-14 campaign and World Cup, but has so far been unable to displace Iker Casillas as the club's No.1.

But despite his lack of playing time at the Santiago Bernabeu, Navas refuses to give up and will continue to give his utmost in order to convince head coach Carlo Ancelotti to play him.

"Keylor told me he is not leaving Real Madrid. He is very happy. He is a fighter who wants to work hard and triumph at the club," Freddy Navas told La Nacion.

"He knows that he has to fight for a place. It's a process that he's accepting very well. In the press, some people are claiming that he is not good enough, but he is very strong."

Meanwhile, his agent Kristhian Arguedas has stressed that Navas is keen to sit out his contract until 2020.

"He's happy living the dream at Real, on a six-year contract that he intends to see out here in Madrid."

The shot stopper has made seven appearances for Madrid in all competitions, keeping two clean sheets in the process.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid's plan to redevelop Bernabeu blocked by supreme court

440797_heroa.jpg

Feb 11, 2015 00:10:00

The Liga outfit unveiled their proposals for revamping their home ground in January of last year but the €400 million project is now in jeopardy

Real Madrid's plan to redevelop the Santiago Bernabeu has been dealt a major blow, with the city's Supreme Court of Justice ruling that the project be halted with immediate effect.

The Liga club unveiled their proposed changes in January of last year, with the renovation work intended to include a shopping centre complex and a hotel in an area to cover 12,250 metres adjacent to the ground, as well as further improvements to the current structure, such as a retractable roof.

However, the spectacular €400 million project is now in danger of being scuppered by legal issues.

"Madrid's Supreme Court of Justice has annulled the agreement of November 15, 2012 issued by the Governing Council of the Municipal Community of Madrid, which approved the modification of land-use plan related to the Santiago Bernabeu stadium," read a statement released by the European champions on Tuesday night.

"Following this ruling, Real Madrid will work with the City Council and the Community of Madrid in resolving those aspects that are necessary to make the redevelopment of the Santiago Bernabeu stadium viable."

The capital club's attempts to renovate the arena have been halted before, in August of last year, when the Spanish High Court called for a cessation to work on the project, after the European Commission opened an investigation into "alleged public help" from the Madrid government.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pepe returns to Madrid training following rib injury

12 February 2015

787858header.jpg

Good news and bad news at Real Madrid on Thursday as Pepe returns from injury, only for Fabio Coentrao to suffer a calf problem.

Pepe handed Real Madrid a boost on Thursday as he returned to first-team training after nearly a month out with a rib injury.

The Portugal international has not featured for Carlo Ancelotti's side since their 2-2 draw with Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey on January 15, but he is back in contention for this weekend.

Real host Deportivo La Coruna at Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday, looking to recover from their 4-0 drubbing at the hands of Atletico in the league.

Pepe's return could add a stronger option at the back after Raphael Varane and Nacho struggled in the derby, however they will be without Fabio Coentrao.

The full-back played the full 90 minutes at Vicente Calderon, but now looks set for a period on the sidelines having suffered a calf injury during training.

Coentrao will undergo further tests on the extent of his injury before a decision will be made on when he is ready to return to first-team action.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mathieu ready to shine at Barca

12 February 2015

787830header.jpg

After his initial struggles to adapt to life at Barcelona, Jeremy Mathieu is ready to repay the faith shown in him by Luis Enrique.

Jeremy Mathieu is finally beginning to feel at home at Barcelona after struggling to adapt to life at the Catalan giants following his July move.

The France international defender agreed a four-year deal at Camp Nou after leaving Valencia, but injuries hampered the early stages of his time at Barca.

Mathieu has since settled into Luis Enrique's side and impressed during their 3-1 victory over Villarreal in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg on Wednesday.

"From the beginning I felt very comfortable in the team," said the 31-year-old. "At some point I lost a little confidence, but in practice I try to give 100 per cent.

"I've had a bad time but now I'm back to my level. I'm happy with my game against Villarreal."

Meanwhile, Mathieu says Barca must not start dreaming of the final just yet with a tough second leg at El Madrigal on the horizon on March 4.

"Villarreal have a good team and are very strong collectively," he added.

"Our team has incredible patience, though, and we will move to contain them."

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti hails Ronaldo professionalism

12 February 2015

787964header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has come out in defence of Cristiano Ronaldo and lauded the professionalism of the Real Madrid star.

Cristiano Ronaldo's professionalism has been praised by Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti amid the furore surrounding the forward's 30th birthday party,

Ronaldo attended a gathering to celebrate his birthday hours after playing in Real's 4-0 thrashing at fierce rivals Atletico Madrid on Saturday, and a number of the club's fans expressed their displeasure at training on Monday.

Jorge Mendes, Ronaldo's agent, jumped to his client's defence, as did ex-Real and Portugal captain Luis Figo.

And now Ancelotti has weighed in to the debate, challenging anyone to question the attitude of Ronaldo.

"I should write a book, or at least, a long chapter on him," he told A Bola. "Cristiano is a player with an efficiency that is unique in today's football.

"He has an extraordinary talent and he enjoys it with such a professionalism and seriousness that is difficult to find in a player of that level.

"In the changing room he is the leader. He speaks a lot to his team-mates, especially to the young ones.

"He is a very important figure, just like Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Iker Casillas or Marcelo.

"If he continues to feel the passion that he has for what he does, he can continue until who knows when, thanks to his great physique and unique genetics."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fuego: No Valencia contract talks

12 February 2015

788081header.jpg

Valencia midfielder Javi Fuego is more concerned about guiding the club into the UEFA Champions League than starting contract talks

Javi Fuego is hopeful of remaining at Valencia on a long-term basis despite not yet entering contract talks with the Liga club.

The midfielder arrived at the Mestalla from Rayo Vallecano two years ago and has established himself as a first-team regular.

Fuego will have one more year remaining on his contract at the end of the season and the 31-year-old has not yet been approached over a new deal.

For the time being, though, Fuego is more concerned about securing a UEFA Champions League place than discussing his future.

He told the club's official website: "So far I have not heard from the club about a contract renewal, but it is not something that worries me.

"I'm enjoying each day and whatever comes will be because I'm doing my job well and hopefully I can stay here for a long time."

Valencia beat Espanyol 2-1 last weekend and are sitting pretty in fourth place ahead of a home clash with Getafe on Sunday.

And Fuego knows Nuno Espirito Santo's side must maintain their high standard for the remainder of the campaign as they aim to secure a spot in Europe's premier club competition.

"The game the other day gave us added confidence,” Fuego added after a behind-closed-door friendly against Russian side Zenit.

"We must maintain our consistency at home and, if we are able to compete well away from Mestalla, then the team will be up there in La Liga.

"The goal is the Champions League, it always has been, from day one."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pique: Luis Enrique, Messi spat in the past

13 February 2015

788235header.jpg

Barcelona centre-back Gerard Pique said Luis Enrique and Lionel Messi have moved on from their bust-up last month.

Barcelona centre-back Gerard Pique stressed that coach Luis Enrique calls the shots at Camp Nou after he was involved in a spat with star Lionel Messi in January.

There have been widespread reports that Luis Enrique's relationship with Messi is beyond repair following a falling out between the two men last month.

Barca defender Jeremy Mathieu revealed details of the training ground bust-up at the time, though he played down the incident.

Pique has now done the same, while insisting Luis Enrique has full control of the dressing room in wake of rumours suggesting Messi is allowed to do whatever he wants in Barcelona.

"Luis Enrique calls the shots more than Messi, obviously," Pique told Spanish radio programme El Partido de las 12.

"He's the coach, the boss, though Leo has a lot of clout in the dressing room. There are disagreements in every squad.

"Luis Enrique and Messi had a spat, but it's a thing of the past."

Pique also spoke about his own future at Barca, revealing that he wants to retire at his boyhood club.

"I love this profession more and more each day and I'd like to keep on playing," said the 28-year-old.

"I can safely say that I plan to retire here at Barca, whether that's at the end of this season or six years from now. I won't play for another club."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benzema shrugs off ´lazy´ tag

13 February 2015

788264header.jpg

Karim Benzema has rejected suggestions that he is lazy in his forward play.

Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema has shrugged off criticism of his style of play, with the France international accused of laziness in the past.

Benzema has been in impressive form for Real this season, scoring 11 goals in 20 La Liga outings.

The striker also has five in as many games in the UEFA Champions League, but his displays for France have not always received such positive reviews.

However, in an interview for Surface Magazine, Benzema says he pays little heed to his detractors.

"To me, to be lazy is not a defect, the only thing that matters are the goals," he said.

"You could also reconsider the role of a striker, if you're lazy and don't run but make goals, there is nothing bad about that.

"I take criticism when it comes from someone who has played at a high level or who knows football.

"In these cases, I cannot say anything. But when they come from people who have never played level, I'm sorry but I don't listen to them."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti concedes Real ´dip´

13 February 2015

788345header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that Real Madrid have suffered a "dip" since their FIFA World Club Cup triumph in December.

Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti concedes his side have suffered a downturn in form since they lifted the FIFA World Club Cup at the end of 2014.

Their 2-0 victory over San Lorenzo in December represented Real's 22nd consecutive triumph in all competitions - a Spanish record.

A 4-2 friendly defeat at the hands of Milan followed, before La Liga and Copa del Rey reverses to Valencia and Atletico Madrid respectively at the start of 2015.

Real seemed to regain a measure of form with five straight league wins thereafter, but last weekend's 4-0 thrashing at Atletico drastically halted their momentum.

Some Real players attended Cristiano Ronaldo's 30th birthday party just hours after that heavy defeat, which drew the ire of supporters, and Ancelotti admits standards have perhaps not been as high as they were at the end of last year.

"We dipped in intensity and attitude since the Club World Cup," he said in a press conference on Friday. "That's all that has happened.

"I do not assess the privacy of players. The party does not affect the professionalism of the players.

"After the match versus Atletico, we were all frustrated. The critics we received were motivating and I saw that in training.

"I understand the frustration of the fans because it is the same as we have.

"[Club president] Florentino Perez spoke with us and showed he was worried. We'll try to find a solution for this problem.

"The dressing room is calm. The players give me confidence and I am sure that we will react."

Real sit top of the table, one point ahead of Barcelona, with Atletico three points further back in third.

With both title rivals not in action until Sunday, Ancelotti's men will have the chance to go four points clear when they host Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Premier League finances putting La Liga at risk of ´exodus´

13 February 2015

788355header.jpg

Premier League clubs are counting the money after a record-breaking TV deal, but it has struck fear into rival European leagues.

Spanish football chief Javier Tebas is concerned La Liga could suffer an "exodus" of talent to the Premier League in the wake of English football's money-spinning TV deal.

Premier League rights were auctioned off for an astonishing £5.136billion this week, averaging at £10million per game.

The Liga de Futbol Profesional is currently negotiating fresh terms on La Liga's new TV deal, though delays have frustrated its president Tebas.

And he is concerned that stellar names plying their trade in Spain could be drawn to the riches on offer in England.

"We've done all we have to do and we can only hope that the decision is for the good of football fans and Spanish sport," he told EFE.

"[The delays] could result in a very important loss, hundreds of millions of Euros, which would mean a very complicated future for Spanish football.

"There will be a new exodus of players. The current model stops us keeping our stars.

"Our game is going to be devalued."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger may be one of those looking to take advantage of further financial clout in the market, having recently signed La Liga stars Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez in big-money moves.

"It makes the clubs in a bigger, stronger financial position all over Europe," he said.

"It will contribute to get the best players all over the world to come to England. The movement of the players is always linked with the economical and financial power in the countries.

"When I was a coach in Monaco we bought the English players because we were the first to have the television money. Today the biggest financial power is in England and the best players come to England."