• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi cannot accept squad rotation - Belletti

791362_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jan 10, 2015 11:56:00

The former Barcelona full-back says the attacker has never liked being left among the substitutes - but claims he has earned the right to "privileges" at the club

Lionel Messi has never been able to accept the need for squad rotation, according to former Barcelona full-back Juliano Belletti.

Fresh speculation has emerged this week about the attacker's future after he started on the bench for the 1-0 defeat to Real Sociedad last weekend.

The Argentina star has grown frustrated with life under Luis Enrique and president Josep Maria Bartomeu, who has brought forward club elections to this year, is reportedly prepared to wield the axe in order to placate the forward.

Belletti, who scored the winning goal in the 2006 Champions League final, says Messi has never accepted being left out of the starting line-up - even though it is a vital part of managing a squad in modern football.

"Messi doesn't like being on the bench," he said as a pundit on Arena SporTV. "He doesn't accept rotation, which, in the long term, is important.

"When I was at Barcelona, I saw him have discussions with the coaching staff because he didn't want to miss a game."

Belletti does feel, however, that Messi has earned the right to certain "privileges" at the club given the enormous success he has helped to bring to Camp Nou.

"The Barcelona of today is Messi. If they've won so many titles, it was because of the high standards Messi offered. It seems normal to me that he'd have certain privileges," he added.

"If he wants to play, to keep a calm atmosphere, you should let him play."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique threatens to quit Barcelona

793742_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jan 10, 2015 16:45:00

Following reports the club are ready to bring his time in charge to an abrupt end, the Spaniard has issued a firm response

Luis Enrique has threatened to quit Barcelona if he doesn't have the 100% backing of the club's players, following reports of a meeting between president Josep Bartomeu and Lionel Messi.

The pair met following the 5-0 victory over Elche on Thursday night, with a Spanish television station claiming the Barca chief had promised to axe the coach following Sunday's clash with Atletico Madrid.

Luis Enrique has now reacted to the latest round of rumours by revealing he will walk away if all of his players are not in support of his leadership.

"I work everyday 100 per cent but I assure you that I'll quit if my players don't follow me," he said.

"That hasn't happened during my career as coach. The players and technical team, we are not involved in these aspects.

A tumultuous week off the pitch at Barcelona saw sporting director Andoni Zubizaretta sacked, his assistant and club legend Carles Puyol quit and presidential elections brought forward a year in the aftermath.

This latest episode followed on from the news the Catalans' appeal against an 18-month transfer ban had been rejected, but Luis Enrique attempted to put a positive spin on recent events.

"We are just focused on the things we can improve, and we avoid everything that is not positive.

"I know this is not against me, it is against everything that surrounds Barcelona.

"This situations have happened in past seasons, and will happen again."

The former Roma boss was booed by supporters at Camp Nou despite Thursday's thumping win, while Frank Rijkaard, who gave Messi his debut back in 2004, has been tipped as a possible replacement.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo fans kick 61 balls at Platini's house

661601_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jan 10, 2015 14:27:00

Angered by the Frenchman's comments over who should win the Ballon d'Or, supporters of the Portuguese have responded in bizarre fashion

Fans of Cristiano Ronaldo have kicked 61 balls at Uefa president Michel Platini's house in Paris in protest at his recent comments backing Manuel Neuer to win the Ballon d'Or.

Ronaldo, 29, faces a three-way battle with Barcelona's Lionel Messi and the Bayern Munich goalkeeper to win the prize handed to the player voted the best footballer in the world over the past 12 months.

The Real Madrid star is the favourite to land the award for a third time on January 12, but Platini recently stated in an interview that he would be rooting for Neuer over the Portuguese.

Those comments haven't gone down well with Ronaldo's most ardent fans, who, orchestrated by a Portuguese ad agency, launched a campaign entitled 'Lets Kick Platini Out!'

The show of support involved several people, all of which appeared to be men dressed head to toe in black attire, arriving at Platini's house before booting 61 balls against his property.

The number of balls kicked is significant in that it represents the tally of goals amassed by Ronaldo over the course of the last 12 months.

There were claims the pair's relationship was a frosty one after video footage appeared to show the former Manchester United star avoiding a handshake with the Frenchman at the Club World Cup, though the reports were later denied by both parties.

Just a year ago, Ronaldo was embroiled in a public dispute with Fifa president Sepp Blatter prior to him being named World Player of the Year after the Swiss claimed he spent more time at the hairdressers than playing football.

Platini is yet to comment on the latest incident.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mascherano hits out at media ´fabrications´

12 January 2015

770783header.jpg

Javier Mascherano has branded reports questioning the relationship between Barcelona players and Luis Enrique as "complete fabrication".

Following last Sunday's defeat to Real Sociedad, in which Lionel Messi and Neymar were benched, claims were made in Spanish press that there had been a fall-out between the coach and his players.

Since then Barca have hammered Elche 5-0 to all but ensure their Copa del Rey progression before seeing off La Liga champions Atletico Madrid 3-1 on Sunday.

After a victory that put second-placed Barca three points clear of the defending champions, Mascherano hit out at the suggestions in the press and stressed the importance of the win.

"I think we played a great game against a strong rival that makes you compete to the maximum," the Argentina international told Barca's official website.

"I don't know what people out there are saying about us, but these are three very important points.

"Beating Atletico Madrid is great but next week we have to win again or these three points are meaningless.

"Everything that was in the media this week was a complete fabrication, all falsehoods."

Barca play the second leg of their last-16 clash with Elche on Wednesday and, with a sizeable advantage in hand, Luis Enrique may opt to rest some of his senior players.

However, Mascherano warned his team-mates will take the game seriously regardless of who is selected.

"I think it's important to keep winning, whoever has to play so we can win games," he added.

"We're the ones out there defending the shield so we have to look out for ourselves."

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Valencia extend Nuno contract

12 January 2015

770827header.jpg

Valencia have extended the deal of manager Nuno Espirito Santo, keeping the Portuguese under contract until June 2018.

The former Rio Ave boss was appointed as Juan Antonio Pizzi's successor at the Mestalla in July, with his initial agreement set to expire at the end of the current campaign.

However, with Valencia performing well in La Liga - sitting fifth after Saturday's 1-1 draw with Celta Vigo - the club have agreed a three-year extension.

"Valencia CF and first team manager Nuno Espirito Santo have reached for an extension to his current contract, taking his tenure at the club to 30 June 2018," read a statement on the club's official website.

This season has been the first full campaign with Peter Lim as owner and the club been able to bolster their squad in recent months.

As well as close-season arrivals such as Bruno Zuculini and Shkodran Mustafi, Valencia brought in Enzo Perez recently to help keep their European push on course.

Valencia have taken 11 points from their last five league games and meet Espanyol in the second leg of their Copa del Rey tie on Tuesday, having won the home leg 2-1.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo wins third Ballon d´Or

12 January 2015

cristiano-ronaldo-ballon-2014.jpg

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has been awarded his third Ballon d'Or after a stunning 2014 at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Portugal captain Ronaldo has been honoured following a year in which he broke the record for UEFA Champions League goals in a single season, scoring 17 in the 2013-14 edition as Real finally captured La Decima.

The former Manchester United man also shared the European Golden Shoe with Luis Suarez for his 31 La Liga goals last term despite being often hampered by injuries.

Although Ronaldo could not help Portugal beyond the group stage of the World Cup, his 61 goals for club and country in 2014 served as a clear demonstration of why he is worthy of football's biggest individual prize for a second successive year.

He said when accepting the trophy: "It's been an unforgettable year, to win this trophy of this kind is something unique.

"And what I can say is that I want to continue as I have, trying to go on to more titles.

"I should like to say to the Portuguese, I never thought I would win this trophy on three occasions, of course it's something that is always with me.

"I wanted to become one of the greatest players of all time, this requires a lot of effort I would like to thank all of you."

Ronaldo claimed the gong with 37.66 per cent of the votes, with Barcelona's Lionel Messi taking second place ahead of Bayern Munich and Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.

Messi misses out after enduring a trophy-less campaign in 2014 as Barca lost La Liga on the final day of the season to Atletico Madrid and also fell short in the Champions League and Copa del Rey.

The Argentina skipper was named the best player at the World Cup after scoring four goals as they lost the final to Neuer and Germany. And, despite breaking Raul's all-time Champions League goalscoring record and becoming the top La Liga goalscorer in history, his personal achievements were not enough to overhaul Ronaldo.

Meanwhile, Neuer was unable to complete a clean sweep of Player and Coach of the Year awards for Germany, and was left to settle for third with 15.72 per cent of the votes.

Neuer would have become only the second goalkeeper to win the award had he been successful, behind Lev Yashin.

The Bayern Munich shot-stopper's compatriot Nadine Kessler won Women's Player of the Year, while Germany boss Joachim Low and Ralf Kellerman of Wolfsburg's women's team were successful in the Coach of the Year categories.

James Rodriguez's wonder-strike for Colombia against Uruguay in the last 16 of the World Cup was selected for the Puskas award for goal of the year.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ballon d´Or: Winners in full

12 January 2015

rtx17cw3.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or for the second straight year on Monday, here are the full winners from a glitzy ceremony in Zurich.

Ballon d'Or: 1st: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal), 2nd: Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina), 3rd: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich/Germany)

Women's World Player of the Year: 1st: Nadine Kessler (Wolfsburg/Germany), 2nd: Marta (Rosengard/Brazil), 3rd: Abby Wambach (Western New York Flash/United States)

Men's Coach of the Year: 1st: Joachim Low (Germany), 2nd: Carlo Ancelotti (Real Madrid), 3rd: Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid)

Women's Coach of the Year: 1st: Ralf Kellermann (Wolfsburg), 2nd: Maren Meinert (Germany Under-20s), 3rd: Norio Sasaki (Japan)

Puskas Award:1st: James Rodriguez (Real Madrid/Colombia), 2nd: Stephanie Roche (Peamount United), 3rd: Robin van Persie (Manchester United/Netherlands)

Fair Play Award: FIFA volunteers at all FIFA tournaments

Presidential Award: Hiroshi Kagawa - A veteran Japanese journalist who covered his 10th World Cup at Brazil 2014

FIFPro World XI: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich/Germany); Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid/Spain), David Luiz (Paris Saint-Germain/Brazil), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain/Brazil), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich/Germany); Andres Iniesta (Barcelona/Spain), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid/Germany), Angel di Maria (Manchester United/Argentina); Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich/Netherlands), Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portgual).

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo urges Real fans to back Bale

13 January 2015

771275header.jpg

Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo has asked Real Madrid's fans to show more support for team-mate Gareth Bale.

Bale came under criticism for going for goal instead of passing to an unmarked Ronaldo during Real's 3-0 win over Espanyol on Saturday.

The Welshman was subsequently jeered by fans inside the Santiago Bernabeu, despite having scored a superb free-kick earlier in the game.

Ronaldo, who picked up his third Ballon d'Or award on Monday, winning the vote ahead of Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, has called on the Real fans to give Bale their backing.

"Madrid fans are always the same, they are very intense, they show what they feel, they aren't liars," he told reporters.

"But I think the things with Gaz are normal because they know that Gaz is a very important player for us, a key player.

"What happened on Saturday is in the past, sometimes I make mistakes too so it's part of the business, part of football.

"I think the people will be nice with him and they should be nice with him."

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi will finish his career at Barca, says Abidal

14 January 2015

771831header.jpg

Eric Abidal feels Lionel Messi will end his career at Barcelona following the Argentinian's remarks over his future at the club.

Messi has recently denied that he has fallen out with coach Luis Enrique but fuelled talk of an impending exit from Camp Nou with his comments prior to Monday's Ballon d'Or ceremony.

The Argentina forward stated "I don't know where I'll be next year", but clarified his words after coming second behind Cristiano Ronaldo in the Ballon d'Or.

Messi insisted that he is not thinking of leaving Barca, and former team-mate Abidal does not anticipate that stance to change.

"I know Leo well," Abidal told Cadena Cope.

"He is a well-educated guy, he's not here to screw the club and others. He has character, he respects people.

"As he put it, he's at Barca, but doesn't know what tomorrow brings. That's sport. But yes, I believe he will finish his career at Barcelona and I hope he stays.

"Barca's his home and he has already shown what he can do on the field."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Onana makes immediate Ajax switch

14 January 2015

771880header.jpg

Ajax have completed the signing of Barcelona goalkeeper Andre Onana on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

The 18-year-old had already agreed to join the Eredivisie side at the end of the season.

However, a deal has now been struck to allow the Cameroonian to immediately make the switch from Camp Nou to the Amsterdam Arena.

La Liga side Barca had previously hit out at Ajax for their handling of the initial deal for Onana, with since deposed director of football Andoni Zubizarreta slamming the Dutch club for "disrespectful" behaviour.

Despite that strain in relations, the transfer has been finalised, with Onana quick to express his delight.

"I am very glad I have made the move to Ajax," Onana told his new club's official website.

"There were quite a few clubs interested but I honestly did not have to think about it.

"When Ajax showed interest it was immediately clear to me that I wanted to go to this club."

Onana leaves Barca without making an appearance for the senior side.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti ´would love´ to coach Messi and Ronaldo at Madrid

14 January 2015

771984header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti would love to coach Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid, but cannot see that scenario occurring.

At one time it appeared unimaginable that Messi could leave La Liga giants Barcelona, but the future of the Argentina international has been a hot topic in recent weeks amid rumours he is unhappy with life under head coach Luis Enrique.

Messi added further fuel to the fire when he stated at the FIFA Ballon d'Or awards "I don't know where I'll be next year", having previously suggested he had no desire to leave Camp Nou.

Real are considered one of the few teams with the financial capability to meet Messi's release clause.

Head coach Ancelotti stated it would be great for him to have Messi and Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo together at The Santiago Bernabeu, although the Italian conceded the possibility is unlikely.

When asked if he could imagine both men in his team, he said: "I think so. But you have to remember that Cristiano is the standard bearer for Real Madrid, like Messi is for Barcelona.

"Both of them have their own team and their own history. Having both on the same side would be wonderful for us but it's difficult to see that ever happening."

Ancelotti also reiterated that there is no trouble regarding Ronaldo's relationship with team-mate Gareth Bale.

Ronaldo was visibly frustrated when the Welshman failed to tee him up for a goal in the second half of last Saturday's 3-0 victory over Espanyol, with supporters subsequently jeering Bale.

"They have a great relationship," Ancelotti added. "Yesterday, Cristiano asked to take a photo of all of us together including the staff to celebrate his Ballon d’Or. We celebrated together and that's that."

Ancelotti was speaking ahead of Real's Copa del Rey second-leg tie with rivals Atletico Madrid at the Bernabeu on Thursday.

Real trail 2-0 from last Wednesday's initial encounter and Ancelotti is well aware his team must play with a high intensity to turn around the deficit.

"We know Atletico well and we know how to play against them," he said. "We must put in an intense game but keep a cool head.

"You need intensity to your game when you play against Atletico because they have one of the most well-organised defences in Europe and it is always difficult to create openings against them."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: Barcelona will not contemplate Messi sale

14 January 2015

771996header.jpg

Luis Enrique insists Barcelona are not even contemplating life without Lionel Messi as he played down speculation over the forward's future.

Reports of increasing tensions between the Argentina star and the Barca coach have raised questions over whether Messi will be at Camp Nou next season.

Messi appeared to fuel the fire when he admitted "I don't know where I'll be next year" at Monday's FIFA Ballon d'Or awards.

But Luis Enrique rubbished the idea of Messi plying his trade elsewhere any time soon.

"We all think Leo is going to be at Barca for many years," he said. "That is what we all want as Barca fans. We are not thinking about him not being in the team next season.

"The thought of having a team without Messi is not even something we contemplate.

"We shy away from controversy, comments and rumours. We seek the best atmosphere in the dressing room."

Luis Enrique was also questioned on the improved performances of close-season signing Luis Suarez in recent weeks.

After finding the net just once in his first eight appearances, the Uruguay international has scored in four of his last six - including the second in Sunday's 3-1 win over La Liga champions Atletico Madrid.

And Luis Enrique believes the former Liverpool forward will only continue to get better.

"Physically he is in great shape," the 44-year-old added. "In footballing terms he is continuing to develop.

"As games go by we will see that development and I am sure he will offer great things to the team."

Barcelona travel to Elche for Thursday's Copa del Rey second-leg last-16 clash, a tie the Catalan side lead 5-0 from last week's first encounter.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes handed touchline ban after midweek sending off

16 January 2015

773273header.jpg

Real Sociedad boss David Moyes has been handed a two-match touchline ban after his sending-off in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.

David Moyes will not be on the touchline for Real Sociedad's La Liga clash with Rayo Vallecano on Saturday after being handed a two-match ban.

The Scot was sent to the stands during the second leg of Sociedad's Copa del Rey tie with Villarreal on Wednesday, as a 2-2 draw saw Moyes' men go down 3-2 on aggregate.

Moyes was ordered out of the dugout by referee Carlos Velasco with seven minutes remaining at Anoeta, after arguing with the officials over an offside decision.

The 51-year-old took his place in the stands alongside fans for the closing moments of the match, and was seen eating crisps with a section of the home support.

The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) handed their punishment down to Moyes on Friday, handing him a one-match ban for his dismissal and an additional suspension for scaling a pitch-side fence and climbing into the stands.

He will therefore be unable to take a place on the touchline for Sociedad's meetings with Vallecano and Eibar.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Malaga loan Cardiff striker Guerra

15 January 2015

772436header.jpg

Malaga have signed Cardiff City striker Javi Guerra on loan until the end of the season.

Cardiff City striker Javi Guerra has ended a frustrating seven-month spell at the club by signing a loan deal with Malaga until the end of the season.

The 32-year-old striker has endured a tough time in South Wales after arriving in May, following Cardiff's relegation from the Premier League, on a three-year deal.

Much was expected of Guerra after he scored 15 league goals for Real Valladolid last season, yet he struggled to break into the first team - making just three substitute appearances in the league.

Following the departure of manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in September, Guerra has not featured for the Championship side and a move home has now materialised.

The club confirmed the move on their official Twitter account, stating: "Cardiff City can confirm that striker Javi Guerra has today joined Malaga on an international loan deal until June 30 2015."

He joins a Malaga side challenging for a top-six place in La Liga.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Granada dismiss Caparros

16 January 2015

773063header.jpg

Beleaguered La Liga side Granada have relieved head coach Joaquin Caparros of his duties after a poor run of form.

Granada have dismissed head coach Joaquin Caparros following a dismal run of form that has left the club bottom of La Liga.

Caparros moved to Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes in May having failed to agree a new deal with former club Levante.

However, the former Mallorca boss has endured a miserable tenure with the club and has overseen just two victories in La Liga this season.

The last of those came in a 1-0 victory at Athletic Bilbao on September 20 and the club have subsequently opted to make a change.

"Granada Football Club reports that coach Joaquin Caparros has been relieved of his duties as coach of the first team," read a statement on the club's official website.

"From the club, we wish you success Joaquin Caparros."

Joseba Aguado has been placed in temporary charge while the club starts the process of finding a permanent successor.

His first task will be to prepare the team for a visit to Liga champions Atletico Madrid on Sunday.

Granada have also signed Roberto Ibanez on loan until the end of the season.

The 21-year-old penned a new contract until June 2018 with Valencia and has been allowed to gain first-team experience with Granada.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real to monitor Pepe fitness

16 January 2015

772880header.jpg

Real Madrid are to monitor Pepe's fitness after the centre-back bruised his ribs against Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey.

Real Madrid will monitor the severity of the injury to centre-back Pepe after he bruised his ribs in Thursday's Copa del Rey clash with rivals Atletico Madrid.

The Portugal International was withdrawn in the 59th minute at the Santiago Bernabeu as the defending champions drew 2-2 on the night and exited the competition 4-2 on aggregate at the last-16 stage.

Pepe subsequently went to hospital for scans and Real are to keep a close eye on him.

"Following tests carried out on Pepe by Real Madrid's medical services at the Hospital Sanitas La Moraleja, he has been diagnosed with bruised ribs," a statement on Madrid's website read.

"His progress will be monitored."

Pepe's centre-back partner Sergio Ramos, meanwhile, has expressed his disappointment that Real were unable to turn around the tie after last week's 2-0 defeat at the Vicente Calderon.

The Spain international has now urged the team to focus their energies on Real's assault on the Liga title and their defence of the UEFA Champions League.

"We are sad to have been eliminated and because we wanted to respond in the best way possible for the fans, who were with us from the moment we arrived," he said.

"In the end, it wasn't to be. It is never pleasing to be eliminated, but there is nothing we can do. Now we want to recover and focus on the remaining competitions.

"Both we and the coach are proud of having given everything. I think we deserved more in the first half, as we created a lot of chances.

"However, we can't take anything away from Atletico, they really know how to compete well as a team."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Real Madrid visit Getafe, Atletico host rock-bottom Granada

16 January 2015

773251header.jpg

Leaders Real Madrid travel to city neighbours Getafe in La Liga on Sunday, Barcelona visit Deportivo La Coruna.

Real Madrid make the short trip to Getafe this weekend looking to get back to winning ways after exiting the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.

Carlo Ancelotti's side were dumped out of the cup by city rivals Atletico earlier this week, but remain top of La Liga by a point from Barcelona.

With one less competition to worry about, Real's focus immediately switches back to the league as they look to secure a first domestic title since 2012, and a healthy record against Getafe will give them confidence of taking all three points.

Real have won 10 of the last 11 meetings between the sides, triumphing by at least a three-goal margin in the three most recent clashes.

Getafe also enter this weekend's encounter in poor form, with no league win in their last eight matches - a run that stretches back to late October.

Barcelona are in position to capitalise should Real drop any points this weekend, with Luis Enrique's side also on their travels as they visit Deportivo La Coruna.

After losing to Real Sociedad earlier this month, Barca beat Atletico to ensure they remain second, and a ninth game unbeaten against Deportivo would ensure Diego Simeone's men stay behind the Catalan club.

Buoyed by their triumph over Real, Atletico Madrid appear to have a presentable opportunity to put their league loss to Barcelona behind them when they face beleaguered Granada.

Third-placed Atletico will hope Fernando Torres reproduces the form that saw him score twice at The Santiago Bernabeu, and the striker is likely to fancy his chances against the division's bottom side.

Atletico can ill-afford to lose further ground on Real, who are already four points clear of their rivals with a game in hand.

Joseba Aguado will take temporary charge of Granada after coach Joaquin Caparros was dismissed on Friday following a run of two wins in 18 matches.

Fellow strugglers Elche and Levante go head-to-head this weekend, with three points likely to lift the winners out of the bottom three, especially as 17th-placed Almeria travel to Valencia.

Seven sides are separated by just three points at the foot of the table, and Cordoba have the first chance to put distance between themselves and the bottom three on Friday when they host Eibar – the visitors looking for a third successive win.

Four teams keen to keep the relegation battle at arm's length meet in two mid-table battles, with David Moyes' improving Real Sociedad entertaining Rayo Vallecano, who are just a point ahead of them, and Celta Vigo travelling to Espanyol.

Sevilla will hope to strengthen their grip on a top-four place when they face Malaga at Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, while Villarreal meet Athletic Bilbao.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reus rumours piling pressure on Bale

801382_heroa.jpg

Jan 16, 2015 23:00:00

SPECIAL REPORT: Former Real Madrid winger Amavisca urges the Welshman to raise his game as the European champions prepare a summer move for the talented German forward

By Ben Hayward in Madrid

Gareth Bale is feeling the heat at Real Madrid. Booed by fans in the 3-0 win over Espanyol last weekend and still struggling to find the consistency he has sought since moving from Tottenham in the summer of 2013, the Welshman now faces a new threat in the shape of possible summer signing Marco Reus.

Madrid president Florentino Perez is keen to bring in an attacking player every summer and Reus is top of the list for 2015, ticking all the boxes as one of the few players in the world game likely to be available and that can conceivably improve this team.

Reports of a done deal are premature, but Reus is said to be ready for the next step in his career after a difficult third season at Borussia Dortmund as Jurgen Klopp's side struggle at the wrong end of the Bundesliga. The 25-year-old can take his pick from a number of interested clubs in the summer and Madrid are currently frontrunners for his signature.

If Reus arrived in Madrid, one of their more marketable players would surely be sold to fund the deal and create space in the team, like when Mesut Ozil made way for Bale in 2013 and Angel Di Maria departed following the signing of James Rodriguez last summer.

Bale's work-rate and fitness were brought into question by the Madrid media back in October, with the local press pushing for fan favourite Isco to start on a permanent basis.

An injury to Luka Modric in November means both are now starting in the same side, but one of the two will probably drop down to the bench when the Croat returns to action next month. The club will face a difficult decision next summer if Reus joins the fray too.

"Bale is not on form at the moment, but the whole team has started the year badly," former Madrid and Spain winger Jose Amavisca told Goal. "The season was planned in such a way that they peaked for the Club World Cup, but now they need to get going again - and so does Bale."

The Welsh winger was jeered by fans at the Bernabeu after he shot wide against Espanyol, having failed to release the ball for Ronaldo. That incident left the Portuguese clearly frustrated and came just a week after a similar action at Valencia when Bale went alone instead of passing to the unmarked Karim Benzema.

"Because it's Real Madrid, everything is exaggerated and everything is magnified," Amavisca added. "I still think Bale is uncomfortable playing on the right. We saw him on the left in the second half against Atletico (on Thursday) and he looked brighter, setting up the goal for Ronaldo. That's where he needs to be playing."

For that to happen, however, Ronaldo would need to operate in a more central role as he did at times last season and also this term. And for his part, the Portuguese poured cold water on talk of a fall-out as he praised his team-mate following the Ballon d'Or ceremony on Monday.

"He's a good player and an important player and Real Madrid are going to need him again this year," the 29-year-old said.

801362_heroa.jpg

SOMETHING AMISS | Ronaldo shows his frustration as Bale goes alone and shoots wide

Bale's camp told Goal in October that Madrid are happy with the winger and that he himself has no intention of quitting the Spanish side and president Perez echoed those sentiments at the Ballon d'Or ceremony on Monday.

"Bale has said he is delighted to be at Real Madrid," Florentino told reporters in the mixed zone. "And Real Madrid are delighted to have him."

One considerable factor in Bale's favour is that Perez was desperate to sign him in 2013 after missing out on Neymar when the Brazilian opted for Barcelona.

"It was a personal bet by Florentino," Amavisca added. "He pushed really hard for Bale and paid a world-record fee. I don't think Florentino would want him to leave.

"Reus is a good player, but he doesn't necessarily have to replace Bale. Florentino was convinced by Bale and I think that is still the case, although lots of things can change from one season to the next at Real Madrid."

Bale averages almost a goal every other game for Madrid and has scored in three major finals for the Blancos (the Copa del Rey, the Champions League and the Club World Cup). But - with Ronaldo untouchable, Benzema the only centre-forward at the club and a move for Reus on the cards - the Welshman will now need to prove himself all over again to ensure he is still at the Bernabeu in 2015-16.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cordoba 1 Eibar 1: Arruabarrena rescues point for visitors

16 January 2015

773340header.jpg

Mikel Arruabarrena scored with 17 minutes remaining to earn Eibar a 1-1 draw against Cordoba in La Liga on Friday.

Mikel Arruabarrena came off the bench to rescue a point for Eibar as they drew 1-1 with Cordoba in La Liga on Friday.

The striker headed home his fifth league goal of the season just three minutes after entering the field, earning his side a point and strengthening their grip on eighth place.

Arruabarrena's 73rd-minute leveller spared Eibar's blushes after they made a disastrous start to the match, allowing Cordoba to score after just 10 seconds.

Having taken the kick-off, the visitors promptly gave the ball away under pressure from Florin Andone and Federico Cartabia. The latter then played a pass into Andone, who fired low past Xabi Irureta.

In a half devoid of clear-cut chances thereafter, the best opening fell to Cartabia after 15 minutes, but he blazed a long-range effort over the crossbar.

Eibar struggled to make any headway in the first 45 minutes but began to come into the game after two dismissals in as many minutes just before the hour mark.

Cordoba's Edu Campabadal was first to go for a second bookable offence after 56 minutes, with Federico Piovaccari following him after a rash tackle on Andone.

The Romanian went close to doubling his tally after 71 minutes with an effort that was well saved by Irureta, and he was made to rue that miss as Arruabarrena swiftly levelled.

Some trickery from Saul Berjon opened up space to cross and Arruabarrena out-jumped his marker to power a header beyond Juan Carlos.

Both sides had chances to win the match, with Berjon blazing over for Eibar before Cordoba's Jose Angel Crespo wasted a glorious chance in stoppage time, the full-back unable to get any power in his header as he allowed Irureta to save.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Valencia, Villarreal claim key wins

17 January 2015

773920header.jpg

Alvaro Negredo was the hero for Valencia in La Liga, while Villarreal overcame Athletic Bilbao on Saturday.

Valencia's pursuit of a Champions League position gathered pace on Saturday as Alvaro Negredo struck late to secure a vital 3-2 victory against Almeria.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side looked like losing ground in the race for the top four until Negredo headed in the winner seven minutes from time against the struggling visitors.

The result extends Valencia's unbeaten run to five matches and sees them move into third place, at least until Atletico Madrid face Granada on Sunday.

It was just the Spaniard's second goal since joining the club on loan and followed a frantic first half during which Tomer Hemed twice equalised after goals from Dani Parejo and Rodrigo.

Valencia face fifth-placed Sevilla next weekend, after the Andalusian side take on Malaga on Sunday.

Villarreal's own efforts to qualify for Europe's elite club competition received a boost as they beat Athletic Bilbao 2-0 to climb within a point of Sevilla.

On-loan Real Madrid midfielder Denis Cheryshev's well-taken opener gave Marcelino's men the edge at half-time before Bruno sealed a seventh win in nine league games with a late penalty.

Former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes suffered his first defeat since taking charge of Real Sociedad as they were beaten 1-0 by Rayo Vallecano.

Moyes was on the touchline for the first time before beginning a two-match ban, but saw his side stretch their winless run to four after ex-Manchester United man Manucho headed in the only goal of the game from a corner inside the final 10 minutes.

Felipe Caicedo's 90th-minute winner saw Espanyol edge past Celta Vigo 1-0.