• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Valencia end Real´s winning run, Barca lose at Sociedad

4 January 2015

767140header.jpg

Valencia's 2-1 victory ended Real Madrid's 22-match winning run, while Barcelona also tasted defeat at Real Sociedad in La Liga on Sunday.

Leaders Real had embarked on a record-breaking sequence stretching back to September, but it came to a halt at Mestalla.

Things began well for the European champions as Cristiano Ronaldo struck his 26th league goal of the season from the penalty spot in the 14th minute.

However, Antonio Barragan netted his first Liga strike since March 2007 - via a wicked deflection off Pepe - to equalise shortly after half-time.

With 25 minutes remaining, Nicolas Otamendi rose highest to power a header into the net from Dani Parejo's corner as Valencia moved to within five points of the leaders.

That defeat for Real meant victory for Barca at Sociedad would have seen Luis Enrique's men climb to the summit, but Jordi Alba's own goal in the second minute extended their winless run at Anoeta Stadium to six matches in all competitions.

Lionel Messi and Neymar were both left on the bench from the start, but even the introduction of two of Barca's biggest stars could not inspire the visitors to find an equaliser.

Getafe's winless league run was extended to seven matches as they fell to a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Rayo Vallecano.

Alvaro Vazquez gave the home side an excellent start with a third-minute opener, but goals from Jozabed and Raul Baena turned the game in the visitors' favour.

Elsewhere, Eibar defeated Espanyol 2-1 thanks to goals from Manu del Moral and Federico Piovaccari, with Felipe Caicedo's effort 10 minutes from time nothing more than a consolation for the hosts.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Wins for Sevilla, Atletico

4 January 2015

766702header.jpg

Sevilla continued their good form as the La Liga resumed on Saturday, while Antoine Griezmann starred for Atletico Madrid.

Nicolas Pareja's first-half free-kick saw Sevilla edge Celta de Vigo 1-0, extending their unbeaten league run to four matches.

Unai Emery's side are into fourth – five points behind Barcelona and Atletico.

Carles Planas was sent off in the 21st minute for Celta, who were punished just after the half-hour mark.

Pareja curled a 25-yard free-kick past Sergio Alvarez but the goalkeeper should have done better after being beaten on the side his wall was not protecting.

Griezmann continued where he left off before the mid-season break by scoring twice in Atletico's 3-1 win over Levante.

The France international helped the champions sign off 2014 with a hat-trick in a 4-1 rout of Athletic Bilbao on December 21.

And the forward was once again instrumental on Saturday against Lucas Alcaraz's side in La Liga's opening match of the year at the Vicente Calderon.

Griezmann broke the deadlock in the 18th minute with a towering header from Guilherme Siqueira's cross and doubled the tally shortly after the restart by just nodding over the line after Diego Marino kept out Mario Mandzukic's initial effort.

Substitute Nabil El Zhar's first league goal of the season just after the hour handed Levante a lifeline but Diego Godin's header eight minutes from time ended hopes of an unlikely comeback.

Atleti's victory adds to the feel-good factor at the Calderon following the announcement earlier this week that Fernando Torres, who took a watching brief from the stands, is to re-join the club.

Diego Simeone's side move level on points with second-placed Barcelona and are now just one point adrift of leaders and city rivals Real Madrid, although Carlo Ancelotti's side have two games in hand.

Elsewhere, Deportivo La Coruna climbed three points clear of the relegation zone – beating Athletic Bilbao 1-0 thanks to Ivan Cavaleiro's first-half goal.

Struggling Elche came from behind to earn a 2-2 draw at home to Villarreal and Almeria upset Malaga 2-1.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tough to plot Barca´s downfall - Moyes

5 January 2015

767163header.jpg

Real Sociedad coach David Moyes conceded he could barely believe his team defeated Barcelona 1-0 in La Liga on Sunday.

Jordi Alba's own goal in just the second minute eventually gave Sociedad victory in San Sebastian as they held on against Barcelona.

Moyes compared the feeling in the lead-up to Sunday's clash to his time with Everton in the Premier League, claiming that it is difficult to spot weaknesses with Barcelona.

"The win feels similar to the early days at Everton," he said at his post-match media conference.

"How was I ever going to get a result against the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United at that time?"

The Scot added: "We've talked about Barcelona at my past clubs, at Everton and at Manchester United. I've watched them with admiration and we used to wonder how to possibly get a result against them.

"Tonight I had the opportunity. It was a long night, we scored early and I would like to have given them a harder game. We did make it very difficult for them, though.

"I would like to be competing against Barca, Real Madrid, Atletico, Valencia and Sevilla at the top of the league. To do that we have to make the squad stronger."

Barcelona had 69 per cent possession at the Estadio Municipal de Anoeta, while the visitors took 12 shots to Sociedad's five, prompting Moyes to praise his defenders.

"We worked hard defensively and defending is a big part of football," he said.

"You don't win games if you don't defend well. The way that we played at the back gave us the chance to win this game."

The victory saw Sociedad move up three positions to 13th in La Liga with 18 points, while Barca missed the chance to overhaul Real Madrid - who lost 2-1 at Valencia - at the top of the table.

That missed opportunity prompted criticism of Barcelona coach Luis Enrique, who chose to start Lionel Messi and Neymar on the bench, but Moyes backed the decision of his counterpart from the Catalan capital.

"I expected Neymar and Messi to maybe be on the bench," Moyes said.

"I've managed a very big club, you have a big squad and a lot of games. The big games come later for these teams - April time - and you have to give the big players rest to keep them fresh for then.

"I thought Luis Enrique made the right decision and the players that played tonight are really good players. He knows his squad the best and in his position I would probably have done the same thing."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan confirm Cerci loan

4 January 2015

766753header.jpg

Milan confirmed the arrival of Alessio Cerci on Saturday with the former Torino striker joining on loan from Atletico Madrid.

Cerci completed a full training session with Milan for the first time on Saturday after passing his medical on Friday, and the 27-year-old admitted he was relieved to get the deal finalised as he looks to rebuild his career.

The winger barely played in six months with Atletico, coming off the bench six times in La Liga, and wants to return to the type of form that saw him score 13 goals in 37 Serie A matches for Torino.

Cerci has joined Milan as part of the deal that has seen Fernando Torres head to the Vicente Calderon until the end of next season.

"It's taken a little longer but I'm now happy," Cerci told Milan's website.

The Italy international's first chance to make his Milan debut will be against Sassuolo at San Siro on Tuesday.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique has no regrets over resting Messi and Neymar

4 January 2015

767155header.jpg

Luis Enrique insisted he had no regrets over his decision to rest Lionel Messi and Neymar during Barcelona's 1-0 defeat to Real Sociedad.

Having been afforded an extended Christmas break, the pair returned to the club two days later than the rest of the squad.

Both men were subsequently left on the bench for the start of Barca's La Liga trip to the Anoeta Stadium, and watched on from the touchline as Jordi Alba put the ball in his own net in the second minute.

That unfortunate error from the defender proved to be the decisive moment as, despite enjoying more of the ball for the remainder of the match, Barca failed to find an equaliser.

Messi was introduced at half-time, with Neymar brought on shortly before the hour mark, but neither man was able to conjure up a leveller for their team as Sociedad completed a hat-trick of home league wins over Real Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona this season.

Defeat ended Barca's 11-match unbeaten run in all competitions, and also meant they missed out on the chance to climb to the top of the table above Real, who had lost 2-1 at Valencia earlier in the day.

When asked about resting Messi and Neymar, the coach replied: "This isn't the time to regret those decisions.

"I look at the season as a whole and I do what's best for the team. I thought that it was best not to risk [them].

"[The own goal was] Real Sociedad's only dangerous chance. We controlled the match, especially in the second half when we got closer to their net.

"We deserved more than that. We were a bit unlucky not to have scored the tying goal. Real Sociedad played a complete match."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Coritiba mock Madrid over end of winning streak

782812_heroa.jpg

Jan 4, 2015 21:22:00

The Brazilian club took to Twitter to express their delight and relief at seeing the Blancos fall two games short of equalling their world record for consecutive victories

Coritiba have thanked Valencia for ending Real Madrid's winning streak with a 2-1 victory at Mestalla on Sunday night.

Carlo Ancelotti's men had won their previous 22 games in all competitions and took an early lead against Los Che courtesy of a 14th-minute penalty from Cristiano Ronaldo.

However, Valencia hit back with second-half goals from Antonio Barragan and Nicolas Otamendi to consign the reigning European champions to a first loss since a 2-1 Liga reversal at home to Atletico Madrid on September 13.

The loss also ended Los Blancos' bid to break Coritiba's world record for consecutive victories in official games, with the Brazilians having racked up 24 wins between February 3 and May 5 in 2011.

Consequently, the Brasileiro Serie A side were only too happy to see Madrid beaten, jumping on Twitter shortly after the full-time whistle at Mestalla to write:

"Coritiba, the most victorious team in the world, thanks Valencia for their win against Real Madrid!"

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Getafe turn to Sanchez Flores

5 January 2015

767383header.jpg

Quique Sanchez Flores returned for a second spell as Getafe coach on Monday as successor to Cosmin Contra.

The 49-year-old's first senior coaching role came with the Madrid club and he is back at the helm of the Liga club 10 years after leaving Coliseum Alfonso Perez.

Sanchez Flores has been out of work since being sacked by United Arab Emirates outfit Al Ain in March last year, but resumes his coaching career in his home city.

The former Valencia coach takes over from Contra, who left Getafe to take charge of Chinese club Guangzhou R and F.

Romanian Contra revealed last month that Getafe had agreed a compensation package with Guangzhou that would give them much-needed funds and his final game in charge ended in a 2-1 defeat to Rayo Vallecano on Sunday.

Sanchez Flores took his first training session on Monday and later spoke of his delight to be back at Getafe.

"It's a wonderful experience, I am very happy to go home," he said. "I found a club that has grown but still with the same people who continue with the same humility.

"Getafe is always my home, and why show me so happy."

When asked if he considered it a risk to take the role, he replied: "Risky? There is always risk at these levels, I was eager to return to the Spanish league and that is best done in Getafe .

"My priority is to be in Getafe , and so I thought very little when I was told, I soon decided anything."

Getafe are 14th in La Liga, just four points better off than third-bottom Grenada, who have a game in hand.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Puyol leaves Barcelona role

5 January 2015

767457header.jpg

Carles Puyol has announced he will leave his role as assistant sports director at Barcelona with immediate effect.

The former Barca captain follows director of football Andoni Zubizarreta out of the door at Camp Nou – the latter sacked on Monday after four years in the position.

Puyol was appointed in May 2014 after calling time on his playing career due to persistent knee problems hampering his time on the pitch.

And he has now ended his 20-year association with the 22-time La Liga champions, though the 36-year-old did hint a return to the club he joined two decades ago.

"I want to announce that I have decided to terminate my employment relationship with the Football Club Barcelona," he said in a statement released on his official Facebook page.

"These three and a half months have given me the opportunity to see the other side of the club. I have learned so much, I am very grateful, and now, I would like to experience other things from a different perspective and from other places.

"I want to grow both personally and professionally so that, in the future, I wish to return to this club and give back everything that you have given me during these unforgettable years.

"I am enormously grateful to employees, managers, president for the trust and helping me in this transition that was not easy to me.

"And above all, to the fans, [to whom], since my retirement, I feel close, much more still.

"I would have liked to be able to leave with my boots on, but life is not always as one wants."

Puyol won six La Liga titles during his long Barca playing career and also won the UEFA Champions League three times.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wigan striker Riera set for loan switch

6 January 2015

767690header.jpg

Wigan striker Oriol Riera is in Spain to discuss a six-month loan move to La Liga side Deportivo la Coruna.

The 28-year-old was signed by Wigan in June but has struggled to make an impact in the Championship, with a solitary goal to his name from 13 appearances.

However, Deportivo are offering the former Barcelona B and Celta Vigo forward a lifeline with Wigan confirming Riera's desire to move via a statement on their website.

"Wigan Athletic can confirm that 28-year-old Spanish striker Oriol Riera has travelled to Spain to undergo a medical with a view to joining Real Club Deportivo de La Coruna on loan until the end of the season," the statement read.

"Contrary to media reports, the transfer is still not completed at the time of going to press and the club can only confirm the news officially when signed paperwork has been received back from Real Club Deportivo de La Coruna and the transfer can be ratified formally by the relevant governing bodies."

Wigan paid a reported £2million for Riera over the summer but he has been deemed to be surplus to requirements by new boss Malky Mackay, who is willing to let the striker leave on a permanent basis at the end of the loan spell.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes looking to British market

6 January 2015

767720header.jpg

Real Sociedad manager David Moyes says he will look to the British market to add to his squad during the January transfer window.

Moyes was appointed as Sociedad boss in November after an ill-fated tenure at Manchester United.

From his six La Liga games in charge, the club have claimed two victories, three draws and a defeat - with their most recent outing resulting in an impressive 1-0 home success over Barcelona on Sunday.

Moyes has also overseen progression to the last 16 of the Copa del Rey, but with Sociedad still just four points above the drop zone in the league, Moyes is targeting some new acquisitions.

And with 16 years' worth of managerial experience at Preston North End, Everton and United, Moyes has suggested he will utilise the market he is most familiar with.

"If there's one market I know best at the moment then it's the British market," he told Sky Sports.

"That's not to say the only players we would look to bring in would be from the UK. We've got our own scouting network working in Spain and abroad.

"I'd like to add one or two to the squad, but on loan if it can be done. I've got one or two in mind and maybe some from back home who would like the opportunity to come and play in Spain.

"You never know. January is never a great time for transfers. It can be difficult. If they're the right ones to add I'd be keen to bring them in."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoichkov blasts Bartomeu

6 January 2015

767838header.jpg

Former Barcelona star Hristo Stoichkov has hit out at the club's president Josep Maria Bartomeu, claiming he knows little about football.

Bulgarian Stoichkov enjoyed seven years in two spells as a player at Camp Nou in the 1990s, winning five La Liga titles - including four in succession - as well as the European Cup in 1992.

The 48-year-old is less than impressed with Barca's current board, headed by Bartomeu, after a string of controversies.

Neymar's transfer from Santos led to allegations of fraud, with former president Sandro Rosell stepping down in the aftermath.

More recently, Barca have since been hit with a transfer embargo after irregularities were found in their dealings at youth level.

And Stoichkov is in no doubt as to who is to blame for the problems.

"Bartomeu isn't a president," he told Onda Cero. "He's an officer who arrived on the rebound because a wimp [Rosell] left.

"Bartomeu only understands basketball. Football is a little thing. The blame should be on everyone who voted.

"The football base is a total disaster. No one knows how it works, or who which people are responsible for making it work."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti backs Luis Enrique over resting stars

6 January 2015

767846header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has defended Barcelona counterpart Luis Enrique in his decision to rest Lionel Messi and Neymar on Sunday.

Both players were afforded an extra two days' break at Christmas and subsequently returned to the club later than the rest of the squad.

Messi and Neymar were left on the bench at the start of Barca's La Liga trip to Real Sociedad at the weekend, but were called into action in the second half as the visitors trailed 1-0.

Barca were unable to find an equaliser, however, which led to Luis Enrique being questioned about his decision to rest the pair.

But Ancelotti has backed the decision of his rival.

"I do not know the dressing room of Barcelona, I cannot comment," he said.

"Everyone faces decisions regarding the dressing room. Luis Enrique is best placed to make those decisions, it looked like a fair one.

"I'm not happy [about what is happening at Barca], because I have things to fix.

"I look at my own team, not what happens in Barcelona. Let's just say that teams have problems during the season."

Real next face city rivals Atletico Madrid in the last 16 of the Copa del Rey, with the first leg to come at the Vicente Calderon on Wednesday, and Ancelotti is aware of what to expect.

"We know them very well. We have played against them many times and often this season," he said.

"They are a tough team because they make things difficult for you and they are well organised.

"We have always tried our best to win. They are one of the best teams in Europe."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Laporta: I'm ready to stand in Barcelona elections

790812_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Jan 8, 2015 15:56:00

The former Camp Nou chief announced his desire to contest the 2015 presidency, but cryptically stated he is not yet certain he will put his name into the hat

Former Barcelona president Joan Laporta has announced he is "ready and willing" to stand in this year's elections, though he held back from publicly declaring he will certainly contest incumbent Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Goal exclusively revealed on Wednesday that Laporta, who won 12 titles during his previous seven-year tenure, wants the position back and would plan on bringing Pep Guardiola on board as the club's sporting director.

The ex-Camp Nou chief would also hire Catalunya legend Johan Cruyff in an advisory role and ensure that the head coach is a former player from Guardiola's trophy-laden spell in charge of the Liga giants.

Laporta had already dropped a cryptic hint on social media about contending for the Barca chief position with reports of disharmony leaking into the media from within Camp Nou.

Following Bartomeu's confirmation that Barca will hold elections a year early, Laporta has made his most obvious comment yet that he wants the club's presidency back in his hands.

"I am ready, I want to stand for election, but I am yet to decide if I will," the lawyer and political figure was quoted as saying in a statement outside his law firm.

Laporta suggested on Wednesday that he does not want to distract from Barca recovering their form after losing their first game of 2014 1-0 at Real Sociedad, which led to the press learning how Luis Enrique and Lionel Messi's relationship has eroded completely.

"Regarding the elections, I'll announce my candidacy when the time is right; I always want to maintain stability at the club," he wrote on his official Twitter account.

"At the moment, everybody must get behind Luis Enrique's team more than ever for the good of Barca."

Barcelona will hope to turn attention back to football with a Copa del Rey victory over Elche in Thursday's last 16 first leg at Camp Nou.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Enrique confident amid Messi reports

7 January 2015

768347header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique says he feels supported by the club's hierarchy despite apparent tension between him and Lionel Messi.

Messi began Barca's 1-0 defeat to Real Sociedad on Sunday on the bench - heightening talk of a fall-out between player and manager.

Recent reports in the Spanish media have suggested Messi is unsettled at Camp Nou due to the row with Luis Enrique, with those rumours fuelled by his absence from training on Monday.

While Barca stated this was down to a bout of gastroenteritis, Luis Enrique was forced to field a raft of questions over the superstar forward in his news conference on Wednesday.

Despite the speculation and departure of director of football Andoni Zubizarreta on Monday, the Barca coach said he retains support in both the dressing room and board room.

"Things always depend on results, that's the first thing when you take over as manager. You need results but I feel supported by the club and the players," he said.

"I have no doubts in that respect. I have nothing to feel sorry about regarding my personal relationship with my players. Managers need to deal with their squad that's what I'm doing.

"We're judged on what happens at the end of the season and that's what we're working towards. I feel confident, I feel motivated thinking about the things we can improve and the things we can control."

The situation with Messi has led to reports of a move away for the four-time Ballon d'Or winner, but Luis Enrique refused to deal with further speculation.

"I think I've said it before, he's important. He's the greatest player in the world, generally that's agreed," the former Celta Vigo boss added.

"If he's best in world then he is also the best player in my squad. I've said it enough times, it doesn't make sense repeating myself.

"At the minute it's all so negative in a wide variety of forms. I shouldn't be asked to confirm or deny different rumours. That would stir up more problems that it would solve.

"I'm sailing the Barca ship, I try to keep away from rumours because there are such a wide variety. I can't confirm or deny these rumours that appear.

"I'm going to keep doing my job as well as I can for the benefit of the team. I'm here to serve the club. That's what I intend to do while I'm here."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atleti bring in Cani

7 January 2015

768559header.jpg

Spanish champions Atletico Madrid have signed experienced Villarreal midfielder Cani on loan for the remainder of the season.

Cani has spent the last eight and a half seasons at El Madrigal after moving from Real Zaragoza in 2006, featuring in over 300 games for Villarreal.

The 33-year-old has started only five La Liga matches this term, but will now get the opportunity to fight for a place in Diego Simeone's title-chasing side.

Atletico announced the arrival of Cani on their official website.

A statement from the club read: "Atletico de Madrid and Villarreal have reached an agreement for the loan of Ruben Gracia Calmache, Cani, until the end of the season.

"The Aragonese midfielder ... passed the corresponding medical examination and has signed with our organisation for the rest of the season."

Atleti sporting director, Jose Luiz Perez Caminero, said: "He [Cani] is an experienced player in our league and with a tremendous quality that will increase competitiveness within the group.

"He's used to handling great responsibility and we are very happy with his arrival because we believe he will contribute a lot to the team at this crucial point of the season."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Atletico Madrid prepare for Barcelona clash

8 January 2015

768710header.jpg

A massive clash looms in La Liga this matchday with Barcelona preparing to host Atletico Madrid at Camp Nou on Sunday.

An air of uncertainty has surrounded Barcelona recently with reports of backroom unrest compounding rumours that star player Lionel Messi wants to leave the Catalan club.

A loss to Real Sociedad in their last league outing has not helped matters, and Atletico will be full of confidence after seeing off city rivals Real Madrid 2-0 in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.

The two sides have played out five draws in their last six meetings, with Atletico's 1-0 win in the Champions League quarter-finals last term the only victory either side have enjoyed over the other in the last two seasons.

The clash could also see Fernando Torres make his first league appearance for Atletico since he left the club in 2007, with the 30-year-old playing 60 minutes in his side's cup fixture midweek.

Real Madrid will be hoping to arrest their current form slump when they take on Espanyol at The Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.

Carlo Ancelotti's side saw their 22-game unbeaten run snapped by Valencia in their last league outing before their loss to Atletico, but they will be confident against an Espanyol side who have also lost their last two games and have not tasted success against Real since 2007.

Also on Saturday, Malaga will be hoping to jump back into the European places when they are visited by sixth placed Villarreal, a side who have not lost a league game since early November.

Valencia will be confident of claiming all three points when they travel to Celta Vigo while surprise packets Eibar take on a Getafe outfit that have not tasted success in their last seven league outings.

Levante were last victorious in the league when they beat Valencia 2-1 in November, but will have a good chance to reverse their slide down the table when they host fellow strugglers Deportivo La Coruna on Friday.

Fifth-placed Sevilla travel to Almeria in Sunday's early kick-off as they attempt to shore up their grip on a Europa League spot.

Cellar-dwellers Elche face a tough trip to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, while Granada will be looking to end a five-game winless streak in all competitions when they host Real Sociedad, who followed up their victory over Barcelona with a Copa del Rey loss to Villarreal.

Lowly Cordoba close out the round when they travel to Rayo Vallecano on Monday, with a win likely to see them climb out of the relegation zone.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique unfazed by mixed reception

9 January 2015

769235header.jpg

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique played down the mixed reception he received during his team's 5-0 win over Elche on Thursday.

Neymar's brace, and goals from Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi and Jordi Alba, saw Barca to the convincing win in the first leg of their Copa del Rey round-of-16 tie.

Reports of unrest have surfaced at Barca, and Luis Enrique was cheered and booed by the team's fans.

But he said the fans' support of the players was of the utmost importance.

“I want to see the support they give to the players in a positive light," Luis Enrique told his media conference.

“It’s the players that need the fans because they are the protagonists. Support from the fans is a basic factor for winning trophies.”

Luis Enrique was delighted with the performance of his side, particularly the speed and movement with which they played.

"I think the team was fast and intense," he said.

"They switched position and were careful whenever they lost the ball. We didn’t give our opponents a chance. As far as behaviour and attitude go, they did what they have always been doing."

It has been an up-and-down campaign for Barca, who sit second and a point behind rivals Real Madrid in La Liga.

But Luis Enrique is confident the best is yet to come from his team.

"Our supporters have always been confident about us," he said.

"I can see that they have faith in the team because of the attitude they show … I am super-confident that we are ready for the rest of the season and I’m trying to get that confidence across to the team."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Casillas: Ancelotti is a better coach than Mourinho

9 January 2015

769301header.jpg

Iker Casillas insists he harbours no ill-feeling towards former Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho, but feels Carlo Ancelotti is a better coach.

Spain international Casillas has been with the European champions his entire club career, but the goalkeeper's future appeared in doubt in Mourinho's final season in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2012-13 when he was dropped to the bench in favour of Diego Lopez.

Initially, Ancelotti kept faith in Lopez and deployed him as his number one in La Liga matches last term, but he departed to join Milan in the close-season.

Casillas has subsequently enjoyed a renaissance and has firmly re-established himself in the Real side.

The Real captain admits he endured a "love-hate relationship" with Mourinho, but, despite confessing his preference for Ancelotti's tenure, he is adamant that any future meeting with the now Chelsea manager would be amicable.

"Ancelotti is better than Mourinho," he told Cadena Cope. "With Mourinho I had a love-hate relationship.

"In his time here I did not speak of him when he was in my locker room, nor do I think that I have to talk now when he is already managing another team and I'm with my team. It would be a bit self-seeking and little cowardly on my part.

"[I hope] that things go very well for him. In the time that he was at Real Madrid, he won titles and you have to give him thanks.

"If I cross paths with him tomorrow I am going to extend my hand, then it will be up to him if he shakes it. I think he would shake."

Casillas, though, stated that his relationship with former team-mate Xabi Alonso has deteriorated

The duo are thought to have fallen out over Alonso's public backing for Mourinho in the past, while the now Bayern Munich midfielder endorsed Manuel Neuer to win the FIFA Ballon d'Or ahead of Real superstar Cristiano Ronaldo - causing some in Spain to accuse Alonso of a lack of respect.

"It does not interest me what he says. In the last years our relationship has not been adequate," Casillas added. "Obviously Cristiano Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or.

"Everyone has their opinion. If Xabi has that opinion, mine is different."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real to rest Ramos but Ronaldo fitness fears played down

9 January 2015

769372header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Sergio Ramos will be rested for Real Madrid's clash with Espanyol, but Cristiano Ronaldo is fit to play.

Centre-back Ramos has been struggling with a back injury and played through the pain barrier as Real lost 2-0 at rivals Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.

However, the Spain international will not be risked for Saturday's La Liga clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Head coach Ancelotti had better news regarding La Liga's top scorer Ronaldo, though, with the Italian insisting there is no truth in reports the Portugal star has a knee injury.

"Sergio Ramos will be rested against Espanyol," Ancelotti said.

"Ramos will be the only change, the rest of the team will be the same as normal."

On Ronaldo, he added: "Cristiano will play tomorrow.

"Cristiano's knee? There's absolutely nothing wrong with either of his knees."

Real head into the clash on the back of consecutive defeats to Valencia and Atleti, which followed a 22-match winning run.

Ancelotti rubbished talk of a crisis after a slow start to 2015, but wants to see his side play with more intensity.

"The most important thing is to get back to winning. We have a small advantage in the league and we want to preserve it," he added.

"I don't think we're lacking physically. Actually we need to be more intense in our play.

"Espanyol have changed from last season, they have a new style. They are well organised and played well against Valencia [in a 2-1 Copa defeat on Wednesday]."

Ancelotti also confirmed that no decision has yet been taken on whether Real will sign sought-after Stromsgodset teenager Martin Odegaard, who has been training with the European champions.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fabregas not trying to convince Messi to join Chelsea

9 January 2015

769302header.jpg

Cesc Fabregas has rejected suggestions he is trying to convince former Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi to join Chelsea.

The thought of Messi leaving Camp Nou has been inconceivable in the past with the Argentine the star turn in a team that has achieved sustained success over the past decade.

However, rumours have circulated that Messi has become increasingly unhappy with life under Barca head coach Luis Enrique.

Subsequently reports in the British media claimed that Chelsea are willing to meet Messi's release clause in an audacious bid to bring him to the Premier League and that Fabregas would be used as a tool to convince him to move to London.

Fabregas, though, stated that he is uncomfortable with that suggestion and does not believe that Messi will leave Barca.

"His situation has been made out to be worse than it really is. Messi is happy at Barcelona and the club's happy with him," Fabregas told Onda Cero.

"I get a bad feeling about it when people are saying that I am trying to convince Messi to join Chelsea. What makes people think I can discuss contracts? I am just a footballer.

"I don't really know Luis Enrique. I know Messi, though, and I really doubt that the things people say happened really did happen.

"Leo is a quiet guy and I have never seen anything like that during the three years we were team-mates.

"Leo will do whatever makes him happy. As his friend and former team-mate, it would be great if I get the chance to play with him again."