• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cologne mascot Hennes projected onto Hoover Dam

8 May 2015 18:31

841206header.jpg

Cologne's club crest, complete with club mascot Hennes the goat, has been projected onto the Hoover Dam in the United States, with the club claiming a record for "the biggest Hennes ever".

The image, which stretched over an area of 39,000 square metres, was used during testing ahead of a promotional film to launch the world's first self-driven truck, with organisers - the Cologne-based PR agency Oliver Schrott Kommunikation (OSK) - setting a record for the most powerful projection.

Schrott and a number of his colleagues are fans of the Bundesliga outfit, prompting the decision to beam their beloved goat onto the iconic structure, which sits on the Colorado River on the border between Arizona and Nevada.

"The fantastic photos of the FC logo on the Hoover Dam are an honour for us and we are naturally very pleased," said Cologne managing director Alexander Wehrle.

"It is great that FC fans are working on such extravagant projects and ensuring that 1. FC Koln has a presence on one of the most famous structures of mankind.

"That is really just different."

Hennes VIII, as he is officially known, hit the headlines earlier this season when he was offered an apology by Anthony Ujah after the striker tugged on his horns in celebration during a 4-2 win over Eintracht Frankfurt.

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gotze issues apology after Barcelona defeat

marc-andre-ter-stegen-mario-gotze-barcelona-bayern-munich-champions-league-06052015_rdjl2cin1hba1137qa92ph7m0.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 8, 2015 09:44:26

Germany's 2014 World Cup hero has said sorry for his behaviour after the final whistle and has stressed he was as disappointed as the fans

Bayern Munich forward Mario Gotze has issued an apology for his reaction after the Bavarians' 3-0 Champions League defeat at the hands of Barcelona at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

The Germany international was seen sharing a joke with Barca goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen after the final whistle in the first leg of the semi-final tie, causing uproar among Bayern fans, who felt the former Borussia Dortmund man did not care about the defeat.

However, Gotze has insisted that he was equally downhearted after the loss at Camp Nou and has apologised for giving a wrong impression.

"There have been reports in the press that I was joking around and having fun with my friend Marc-Andre ter Stegen after the game," a statement on Gotze's official website reads.

"People who think I do not care about the defeat are completely wrong. I was at least as disappointed as my team-mates and the fans.

"If things looked different, I would like to apologise for that.

"I would like to make it clear that I always give my all for the team. I want to achieve success with the club and I always behave respectful toward fans, Bayern and opponents."

Gotze has been heavily criticised in recent weeks following his underwhelming performances this campaign, with Bayern icon Franz Beckenbauer accusing him of behaving like a youth player earlier this week .

Sahin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamburg 1 Freiburg 1: Kacar late show ensures stalemate

8 May 2015

841343header.jpg

Freiburg were denied a potentially priceless victory at the Imtech Arena as Gojko Kacar was again the hero for Hamburg in their 1-1 draw.

The Bundesliga strugglers remain separated by just a point as Kacar punished Freiburg with a 90th-minute leveller.

Admir Mehmedi opened the scoring after 25 minutes when he latched onto Karim Guede's flicked header and fired across Rene Adler in the hosts' goal.

The likes of Felix Klaus and Nils Petersen had the best efforts to seal the points for Freiburg, who were on course to inflict a first defeat of Bruno Labbadia's latest reign.

However, having seen an earlier effort blocked inside the area, Kacar's persistence paid off.

The Serbia international - who scored the late winner in last week's 2-1 victory at Mainz - nodded home inside the area to ensure a point that edges Hamburg closer to safety.

Christian Streich's men move out of the bottom three on goal difference from Paderborn.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Borussia Dortmund 2 Hertha Berlin 0: Klopp´s men up to seventh

9 May 2015

841679header.jpg

Erik Durm scored his first Borussia Dortmund goal as Jurgen Klopp's side dispatched Hertha Berlin 2-0 at Signal Iduna Park on Saturday to rise to seventh in the Bundesliga.

Neven Subotic's second league goal of the campaign put the hosts ahead inside 10 minutes, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan squandering the chance for a second soon afterwards.

Hertha – just three points clear of the relegation play-off position at kick-off – enjoyed the majority of possession as the first half wore on, but were unable to threaten Dortmund, who extended their lead through Durm's strike two minutes after the interval.

Though the visitors pressed late on, they were unable to trouble Dortmund, who held firm to avenge their 1-0 loss to Pal Dardai's side earlier in the season.

Hertha, without a win in five, remain in 13th, while Dortmund sit just two points behind sixth-placed Schalke as their hunt for UEFA Europa League qualification continues.

Dortmund made an ideal start when Subotic put them in front in the ninth minute – slack marking from Hertha allowing the defender to head home unchallenged from Mkhitaryan's corner.

Mkhitaryan should have grabbed a second, the in-form playmaker shrugging off John Brooks on the edge of the box before firing a low effort just wide of the left-hand upright.

The Armenian almost turned provider again prior to the half-hour mark as he played in top-scorer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, but the striker was unable to better Hertha goalkeeper Thomas Kraft.

Hertha finally managed a foray into Dortmund territory with six minutes of the first half remaining – Nico Schulz surging into the box before feeding Valentin Stocker – but the Switzerland international blazed high over the crossbar.

Dortmund began the second half in blistering fashion, going further ahead in the 47th minute when Mkhitaryan worked it wide to Durm on the edge of the area.

The full-back cut inside onto his left, curling an effort towards goal that Kraft could only parry into the bottom-left corner.

Dortmund's domination continued, and they would have been out of sight had Aubameyang managed to capitalise on Kraft's sloppy pass, but the keeper recovered well to block the Gabon striker's low shot.

Kevin Kampl, replacing the injured Jakub Blaszczykowski, was the next to test Hertha's flagging back-line, carving through the midfield before finding Mkhitaryan, whose effort was blocked by Marvin Plattenhardt.

Kraft had to be alert to twice keep out Dortmund from grabbing a third in the closing stages, denying Shinji Kagawa before preventing Kampl tucking away the rebound.

And though Stocker almost snatched a consolation as stoppage time approached, Dortmund kept their cool to extend their unbeaten Bundesliga run to four matches.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern Munich 0 Augsburg 1: Bobadilla punishes 10-man champions

9 May 2015

841677header.jpg

Bayern Munich goalkeeper Pepe Reina was sent off as Bayern Munich's torrid week continued with a 1-0 defeat at home to Augsburg on Saturday.

Raul Bobadilla grabbed the winner for Augsburg to condemn Bayern to their first consecutive Bundesliga defeats in over a year.

Reina, making just his third league start for Bayern, made a mockery of coach Pep Guardiola's decision to rest players ahead of the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona on Tuesday by getting sent off after just 12 minutes at the Allianz Arena.

The rested Manuel Neuer was hauled off the bench and had a busy afternoon as Augsburg, who missed the penalty that followed Reina's dismissal, battled their way to a rare result against the Bundesliga champions that keeps them on course for UEFA Europa League qualification.

Guardiola also rested Rafinha, Mehdi Benatia and Xabi Alonso following his side's 3-0 Champions League capitulation in midweek, with Mitchell Weiser, Dante, and Mario Gotze taking their places.

Bayern's difficulties began after two minutes, when Dante fouled Bobadilla and he took the free-kick himself, firing a thunderbolt from 20 yards that required a good save from Reina at full stretch to push it out to safety.

The hosts looked startled by Augsburg's high tempo start to the game, but Bayern were soon creating chances of their own.

Gotze should have done better after he jinked down the left wing, only to fluff his shot from close range.

He almost made amends with a raking shot from the edge of the box that clipped the post as it went wide with Augsburg goalkeeper Marwin Hitz well beaten.

Disaster struck for Bayern after 12 minutes, when a long ball put Bobadilla through one-on-one with Reina, and the Spaniard clumsily bundled him over inside the box, giving the referee no choice but to send him off.

Neuer's rest from first-team action had been brief, but his first task after coming on for Philipp Lahm was made easier when Paul Verhaegh slammed Augsburg's spot-kick onto the post.

Bobadilla continued to cause problems for Dante in the Bayern defence, and the striker had a claim for a second penalty waved away by referee Sascha Stegemann when the Brazilian struggled to contain him.

A slip from Dante allowed Halil Altintop a clear chance, but he scuffed it wide with the whole goal to aim at.

Bayern spurned a golden chance to take the lead on the brink of half-time, but Robert Lewandowski – still sporting a face mask after fracturing his nose and jaw against former club Borussia Dortmund - fired over the crossbar when sent clean through by Jerome Boateng.

An almost identical chance fell to Lewandowski just after the break, but Hitz was alert to the danger and cleared his lines.

Augsburg had the ball in the net on the hour mark when Hong Jeong-ho scored from a corner, only to see Stegemann rule it out for an infringement on Neuer by substitute Tobias Werner.

Hitz then made a brilliant save to keep the scores level as Lewandowski teed up Weiser for a stinging shot at the other end.

The frailties in Bayern's depleted rearguard were finally exploited after 70 minutes, when substitute Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg broke down the left and played a wonderfully simple pass to Bobadilla, who made no mistake in tucking away his 10th league goal of the season.

The goal prompted Guardiola to send on Rafinha and Claudio Pizarro to try and salvage something from the game, but Augsburg held on for a famous win.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Bayern beaten again as Stuttgart boost survival hopes

9 May 2015

841814header.jpg

Bayern Munich suffered their fourth straight defeat with a 1-0 home loss to Augsburg on Saturday on a day when Stuttgart considerably boosted their Bundesliga survival hopes.

After suffering a 3-0 UEFA Champions League semi-final loss to Barcelona on Wednesday, a much-changed Bayern side made a dreadful start to proceedings when goalkeeper Pepe Reina saw red after 12 minutes.

Reina bundled Raul Bobadilla over in the box and, although Paul Verhaegh hit the post with the subsequent spot-kick, Augsburg claimed all three points. Bobadilla tucked home a 71st-minute winner from Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg's pass.

At the other end of the table, bottom club Stuttgart are now just a point shy of safety following a 2-0 win over Mainz.

Daniel Didavi put Stuttgart ahead as Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius spilled his long-range drive in the 66th minute, with Filip Kostic then making sure of the points 12 minutes later.

Hannover were held to a 1-1 draw with Werder Bremen that moves them out of the bottom two.

Michael Frontzeck's Hannover looked set to go two points clear of the relegation play-off spot when Lars Stindl put them ahead after 21 minutes, only for Zlatko Junuzovic to level 12 minutes from time.

Goals from Max Kruse, Patrick Herrmann and Ibrahima Traore sent Borussia Monchengladbach second with a 3-0 win over Bayer Leverkusen.

Borussia Dortmund stretched their unbeaten run to five games in all competitions with a 2-0 success against Hertha Berlin, Neven Subotic and Erik Durm on target for Jurgen Klopp's men, who now sit just two points outside the top six.

Elsewhere, Eintracht Frankfurt beat Hoffenheim 3-1.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

´Every game is a final´ - Klopp

9 May 2015

841735header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp is confident that Borussia Dortmund can secure a top-six Bundesliga finish after their 2-0 victory over struggling Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

Goals early in each half from defensive duo Neven Subotic and Erik Durm – his first senior strike – moved Dortmund up into seventh, just two points behind sixth-placed Schalke with two games remaining.

And while the DFB-Pokal final against Wolfsburg represents Dortmund's most likely chance of securing UEFA Europa League qualification, Klopp insisted that he has not given up hope of a loftier league finish.

"Seventh place feels like the place in the sun at the moment, after the start to the season," said Klopp, who has never failed to reach the top six in his tenure at Dortmund.

"Going forward now, we do not have prospects, we are starting fresh because every game is a final now, we just have to keep winning, which is a cool starting position.

"We have three finals left, two in the league and then the cup final as well.

"I am satisfied with the result in particular and with the game to a large extent.

"We controlled the game and scored two great goals, but we could have had more and Hertha are no fools on the counter attack, so I am pleased."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola urges calm approach ahead of Barca clash

9 May 2015

841749header.jpg

Pep Guardiola has urged his Bayern Munich players to "stay calm" in their midweek clash with Barcelona after slumping to a fourth successive defeat for the first time since 1991.

The Bundesliga champions – who had goalkeeper Pepe Reina sent off early on – were beaten 1-0 by Augsburg at the Allianz Arena on Saturday, with Paraguay international Raul Bobadilla grabbing the winner.

Bayern now turn their attentions to the UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg against Barca on Tuesday, when Guardiola's men look to turnaround a 3-0 deficit from the first encounter at Camp Nou.

"On Tuesday we have to stay calm, check our game and see what happens," said Guardiola, who believes that fatigue from Wednesday's loss to Barca was the main reason for Bayern's lacklustre display against Augsburg.

"I don't think it was because we were outnumbered that we lost, I think that we were already stretched after the match with Barcelona.

"Because of injuries, we have no more players to play on the wing, so our full-backs must attack, but that also creates risks for the counter.

"At this moment, without players like [Arjen] Robben and [Franck] Ribery, then our full-backs have to do this, and Augsburg got the goal because of that."

Sahin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern lack depth and firepower - Beckenbauer

10 May 2015

842052header.jpg

Bayern Munich's honorary president Franz Beckenbauer believes the club do not have the depth or the firepower in the squad to compete with Barcelona.

Pep Guardiola's Bayern face Barca in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final on Tuesday having been beaten 3-0 in the first leg at Camp Nou and losing 1-0 to Augsburg on Saturday.

The Bundesliga champions have been ravaged by injuries and recent times and, without the likes of Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben, do not appear to have the creativity to trouble Barca.

And Beckenbauer said: "I think mistakes were made. I did not understand why they sold [Xherdan] Shaqiri [to Inter] and [Pierre] Hojbjerg [on loan to Augsburg].

"They were great substitutes and they were missing [in the second half of the season]. Of course you cannot expect to get as many injuries as we have. And some players were also out for a longer period of time than expected.

"Bayern were lucky that Thiago [Alcantara] and [Javi] Martinez returned. But we still did not have our full firepower, and you need it when you play in the Champions League semi-finals against Barcelona.

"In these games you need full firepower and it is not enough to play with just the players that are available at the moment. They were punished [for their transfers]. I am sure they will think about the future and the necessary steps to avoid this.

"I can imagine Bayern will buy new players. Some players are older than 30 years, how long can they still play? The games are getting more and more intense. That's why you have got to have a big squad.

"But if half of the squad is injured than you have bad luck. So, I can imagine the squad will be changing."

Sahin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wolfsburg confirm Kruse capture

10 May 2015

842239header.jpg

Wolfsburg have confirmed they will sign Borussia Monchengladbach forward Max Kruse at the end of the campaign.

Kruse has agreed a four-year-deal with Wolfsburg, who are set to compete in the UEFA Champions League next season after impressing in the Bundesliga this term.

The 11-cap Germany attacker has scored 13 goals in 2014-15 for a Gladbach team on the verge of securing Champions League football themselves.

"I am looking forward to be able to take the next step in my career with Wolfsburg," Kruse told Wolfsburg's official website.

"After very good talks with [sporting director] Klaus Allofs and [head coach] Dieter Hecking it was clear to me that I wanted to move to Wolfsburg because the style of play suits me and the squad has a great quality.

"My whole focus now is the last two competitive games with Borussia Monchengladbach then, after the summer break, I want to contribute to a successful future for Wolfsburg."

Wolfsburg had been tracking Kruse for some time, as they look to bolster a forward line that has been over-reliant on Bas Dost this term.

The Dutchman has scored 15 goals in as many Bundesliga starts, but Ivica Olic was sold in January after scoring five in 14 outings and former Arsenal forward Nicklas Bendtner has just one strike to his name this term.

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini unaware of Guardiola to City rumours

10 May 2015

842316header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini refused to be drawn on speculation that he is set to be replaced by Pep Guardiola and insists he is ready for the challenge of reclaiming the Premier League title.

Speculation has mounted in recent days that City have agreed a deal with Bayern boss Guardiola to replace the Chilean at the Etihad Stadium in the close-season.

However, Pellegrini stated that he was unaware of the rumours and that he has not discussed the stories with the club.

"I didn't read it and I haven't heard any reports. I repeat, I haven't heard or seen any reports," he said. "Nobody told me [about them]."

City may have lost their title to Chelsea this season, but they gave a reminder of their quality on Sunday as Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick in the 6-0 battering of now-relegated QPR.

And Pellegrini believes it is important for the team to continue playing with their same attacking philosophy if they are to improve next term.

"Not for me but for the club I think it's important not to change the philosophy of our football," he added. "I didn't win the title and I didn't win the cup this year because I have a conviction of my ideas and football.

"When we won the Premier League last year, we scored a lot of goals and I never commented on our style because you must have conviction with the way you play and when you don't win, that moment is now and we will continue playing this way."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Langerak: Dortmund must secure Europa League qualification

11 May 2015

842559header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Mitch Langerak has underlined the importance of European qualification for his club.

Dortmund maintained their bid for a spot in next season's UEFA Europa League over the weekend, with Langerak keeping a clean sheet as Jurgen Klopp's men defeated Hertha Berlin 2-0 on Saturday.

It was Dortmund's fourth game without a loss in the Bundesliga and took them into seventh in the standings with 43 points, ahead of eighth-placed Werder Bremen on goal difference and just two points adrift of rivals Schalke (45).

Schalke hold the Bundesliga's second Europe League spot in sixth, although seventh should be enough for Dortmund.

Klopp's side face Wolfsburg in the DFB Pokal final on May 30 and will qualify for the Europa League if they win.

But if they lose, that spot would be taken by the seventh-placed side in the Bundesliga, with second-placed Wolfsburg likely to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Despite that, Langerak has urged his team-mates to keep picking up wins and secure European qualification on their own.

"Of course it's important for the players and the whole team to be playing in Europe next season. I really hope we can do it," the Australian told Bundesliga.com.

"We've still got two games in the Bundesliga and the DFB Cup final in Berlin to make it happen. Now it's important to focus on our next game."

Saturday's game was Langerak's fourth start in a row in all competitions, with the 26-year-old gloveman only having conceded one goal in that time.

Langerak is enjoying his time on the pitch with regular number one Roman Weidenfeller injured since late April.

"It's great not to concede again," he said.

"I have to thank the lads, though, because I hardly had anything to do all game. In the first half I was only a spectator.

"In the second half Hertha had a couple of half-chances. They tried to get back into the game, but we managed to keep them out."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Draxler: Schalke´s worst performance in years

11 May 2015

842562header.jpg

Schalke star Julian Draxler labelled Sunday's defeat to Cologne as "one of our worst performances in recent years" as pressure mounts on coach Roberto Di Matteo.

The former Italy international led Schalke to five consecutive home wins in the league after replacing Jens Keller in October, and they sat well in the race for a UEFA Champions League spot at the mid-season break.

However, the Gelsenkirchen club have won just four times domestically since the campaign's resumption and are currently clinging onto a Europa League spot in sixth with Borussia Dortmund and Werder Bremen ready to pounce below.

Falling 2-0 at Cologne secured the hosts' top-flight safety in their first season back in the Bundesliga but left Schalke 13 points behind fourth-place Bayer Leverkusen.

Draxler said: "We played really badly. I don't know what was wrong with us. You're not going to win games in the Bundesliga like that.

"I'm pretty sure it was one of our worst performances in recent years.

"We're also aware of the anger of our fans. They have reason to be unhappy and vent their anger. Having said that, we have to get through what's been a poor season together."

Schalke captain Benedikt Howedes was at a loss to explain the Cologne capitulation and his side's generally woeful recent efforts.

"It's difficult for me to find explanations for poor performances like this week after week," he added.

"I make myself sound unbelievable if we then don't deliver on the pitch.

"We were missing everything that makes us Schalke. There was no passion, willingness to run or emotion.

"It's a mystery to me that we didn't stick to what we set out to do. Everyone has to ask themselves whether they really put everything into action. It's sad that we played that way."

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola quashes exit rumours

11 May 2015

842624header.jpg

Pep Guardiola has poured cold water on rumours linking him with the manager's job at Manchester City by reaffirming his commitment to seeing out his contract at Bayern Munich.

Recent reports have suggested that Guardiola has agreed a deal to take over from Manuel Pellegrini at the Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola has come in for criticism following the Bundesliga champions' 3-0 loss to Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg last week, with former Bayern midfielder Lothar Matthaus claiming the Spaniard is in danger of losing the dressing room.

But Guardiola told a pre-match press conference ahead of the second leg of that tie: "I've said 200 million times before, I have another year on my contract. I will be here next year. There's nothing more to say.

"The mentality is not a problem in this team. We can't forget that six, seven, eight of these guys have won the World Cup.

"I am not here to be the best head coach in the world. I'm here to help this team.

"I did my best at Barcelona. For some it was enough, for others it wasn't. It's the same here. I just want us to play well.

"I've won everything as manager, I've won so many things at Barcelona.

"So I've said, a thousand million times, here in Munich, I won everything, nearly everything, but it's done by the players so I am happy. I want to be a good manager for my players, if the people are happy with me than I'm happy."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Muller: I have a great relationship with Van Gaal

lionel-messi-thomas-muller-barcelona-bayern-munich-champions-league-06052015_lilw89i523j511teo31huinjt.jpg

May 11, 2015 11:03:35

The Germany international says the bond between the pair "goes beyond what is normal between a player and a coach"

Bayern Munich attacker Thomas Muller has revealed the strength of his relationship with Louis van Gaal but played down talk of joining him at Manchester United.

The Dutchman spent two years in charge at the Allianz Arena and handed the Germany international a starring role in his 2009-10 double-winning side.

Last summer there were rumours Van Gaal had made the 25-year-old one of his priority signings upon taking over at Old Trafford, but Muller says he will honour his contract with Bayern.

"It's a secret for nobody," he is quoted as saying by The Independent.

"Louis van Gaal and I have a relationship that goes beyond that which is normal between a player and a coach.

"However, I have a contract wtih Bayern until 2017."

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Adler confident Hamburg will beat drop

13 May 2015

843619header.jpg

Rene Adler is "convinced" Hamburg can avoid relegation as the Bundesliga season goes down to the wire.

Only four points separate the bottom six teams with two matches remaining and 14th-placed Hamburg are part of that scrap, and they are one point clear of the relegation play-off spot and drop zone.

It is the second consecutive season Hamburg's top-flight status has been on the line, after the club beat the drop via a play-off against Greuther Furth.

But 30-year-old Germany international Adler believes Hamburg will stay in the Bundesliga.

"We're all 100 per cent convinced that we can survive this season," Adler told Bundesliga.com. "We've worked incredibly hard in the past few weeks.

"We're producing much more unified performances now and have become a lot tighter as a group.

"[Coach] Bruno Labbadia has set the example for us when it comes to unity. No one is excluding themselves, Labbadia would support that statement."

Adler, whose Hamburg close out the campaign against Stuttgart and Schalke, added: "A few weeks ago following the 1-0 defeat to SV Werder Bremen almost everyone wrote us off. Now our fate is in our own hands.

"In our most recent encounters we've had to recover from several setbacks. Our opponents now know that they can't write us off. We've pulled together as a team and every player has taken on a little more responsibility.

"Despite being in a tense situation, we're having a lot of fun again in training. I believe that's incredibly important. The teams who are most able to stay focused and are able to enjoy playing will ultimately be the ones who stay up. I'm convinced of that. And right now it's a lot of fun for us in training."

Sahin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Low laments ´unfair´ criticism of Gotze

13 May 2015

843751header.jpg

Mario Gotze is "one of the best players on the planet" and recent criticism of him is unfair, according to Germany coach Joachim Low.

The Bayern Munich playmaker has been singled out in recent weeks, with club legend Franz Beckenbauer claiming the 22-year-old had to "grow up" after the Bundesliga champions' 5-3 aggregate defeat to Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League semi-finals.

A 3-2 victory at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday was not good enough to turn the tie around, with Gotze - scorer of the winning goal in the 2014 World Cup final - only introduced as an 87th-minute substitute.

But Low told the German Football Association's official website: "Not long ago people were saying he was in the form of his life and now people are saying that he's struggling.

"That's too simplistic and also pretty unfair in my opinion.

"It's unfair to judge him solely on the goal he scored in the World Cup final.

"Mario is a fantastic player. This was clear from day one. He's no longer a hot prospect, but we do have to remember that he is only 22 years old.

"We've given him responsibility and he's relished that – he works hard and is always looking to improve.

"He's a good character to have around the place as well. Mario has a big future with us and for Bayern. He's one of the best players on the planet."

Low also commented on Germany goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, who has featured in all 12 of Barca's Champions League ties this term, recording clean sheets in half of them.

"It's clear that Marc has improved since going to Spain," the goalkeeper's national boss added

"He is calm and the players around him have plenty of faith in him. He performed incredibly and made some stunning saves, especially from Thomas Muller and Robert Lewandowski.

"He ensured that Barca progressed. I hope that he gets to start in the final."

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Bruyne cannot guarantee Wolfsburg future

13 May 2015

843778header.jpg

Kevin De Bruyne says he cannot guarantee his Wolfsburg future amid speculation of a move away from the Bundesliga club.

The Belgium forward has enjoyed a superb season for Dieter Hecking's men, with his 15 goals in all competitions helping Wolfsburg to secure qualification for the UEFA Champions League.

Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain have all been linked with De Bruyne, and his agent Patrick de Koster has since confirmed that he has had informal contact with those clubs.

And asked about his future by Eurosport, De Bruyne said: "What will happen in the summer I don't know.

"As a player it is so stupid to say that I will stay here and then some big club is coming in and offer Wolfsburg a lot of money that they want and they say you can go or something like that.

"I'm very happy here and I think I will play here next season but I can't give you a 100 per cent guarantee."

De Bruyne was also pressed on his January 2014 switch from Chelsea to Wolfsburg, which followed loan spells with Genk and Werder Bremen.

"[Chelsea manager Jose] Mourinho told me to come back and that's what I did," he added.

"After six months of not playing a lot I told the club that I wanted to leave and I didn't want to go on loan anymore because if you come back you will be always in the same situation.

"I think the decision that I made to come here was a great decision and at the end I think that I'm doing well right now so I'm very happy with all the decisions that I've made."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kagawa unhappy with personal output

14 May 2015

844101header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Shinji Kagawa said he is disappointed with his personal output in 2014-15.

The former Manchester United man has scored just five times in 30 appearances in all competitions for Dortmund, who have battled back to a position of relative strength after a shocking start to the Bundesliga season.

The Japan international, who suffered head and groin injuries this term, said it was a negative campaign.

"It was a very difficult season because I wasn't able to play well consistently, neither was the team," the 26-year-old said.

"I have struggled through the season but towards the end of the season we have been able to get some wins.

"So as a team, it's clear we are getting better. Personally, I can't be happy with my performance because I didn't score much."

After previously battling in the relegation zone in Germany, Dortmund are fighting for a spot in next season's UEFA Europa League - as they sit two points behind sixth-placed Schalke with two games to play.

Jurgen Klopp's men can also seal a European place by beating Wolfsburg in the DFB Pokal final on May 30, but a loss would render their current standing in seventh as a Europa League ticket.

First, Dortmund travel to Wolfsburg for a league fixture on Saturday.

"Playing against the same team twice in a short period will be difficult, despite the fact it's two different tournaments," Kagawa said.

"They are two very important matches.

"The boss has said they are different games and firstly we have to prepare well to get the three points on Saturday.

"We are thinking of that now rather than the DFB Pokal final."

On Klopp's imminent departure at season's end, Kagawa said he anticipated a turbulent period - as he suffered a goalless campaign in David Moyes' first season at Old Trafford in 2013-14.

"A new boss is coming, that means it is difficult for me like it was in Manchester," Kagawa said.

"But the most important thing is to trust each other and set the same goals, then go forward in the same direction and work together.

"We have to work hard before the season starts. That's the only thing we can do. We must have the same target and believe in him, I'll do my best."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wolfsburg v Borussia Dortmund: Durm calls for one last push

14 May 2015

844261header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund defender Erik Durm has urged his team-mates to maintain the momentum they have built up when their bid to qualify for the UEFA Europa League continues at Wolfsburg on Saturday.

Dortmund climbed to seventh with a 2-0 home win over Hertha Berlin last week, with rare goals from Neven Subotic and Durm giving them all three points.

The German giants sat bottom of the table at stages during the first half of the campaign, but a strong finish sees them in contention for a berth in Europe's second-tier competition next season.

Dortmund lie two points adrift of sixth-placed Schalke but face tough tests against second-placed Wolfsburg, and Werder Bremen, in eighth, to end the campaign.

Jurgen Klopp will finish his time in charge of Dortmund at the DFB-Pokal final in Berlin against the same opponents.

But this will be far from a dress rehearsal given what it is at stake for Dortmund, while Wolfsburg also have plenty to play for as they are just two points above Borussia Monchengladbach.

Durm told Dortmund's official website: "We need to keep this run going.

"We're in super form and haven't lost a single one of our last five matches. Let's not forget the [DFB-Pokal] semi-final win over Bayern.

"Now it's all in our own hands and that's very important for us. Next, we need to and want to win our last two Bundesliga matches.

"That's our objective, and then [hopefully] we can finish our season on a high note [in Berlin] and give the coach the farewell he deserves."

Dortmund are unbeaten in their last four Bundesliga matches but have won just four away matches this season.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is in good goalscoring form, with a late-season flourish seeing him take his tally to 14 for the season. Only four Bundesliga players - including Wolfsburg's Bas Dost with 16 - have netted more.

Wolfsburg won 3-1 at Paderborn last time out to end a three-match winless streak in the Bundesliga, with Dost helping himself to a double.

Dieter Hecking's side have enjoyed an excellent campaign with the likes of Dost, Kevin De Bruyne, Daniel Caligiuri and Ricardo Rodriguez key to their success.

This meeting earlier in the season saw Wolfsburg come from behind twice to snatch a 2-2 draw at Signal-Iduna Park. Defender Naldo netted an 85th-minute equaliser for the visitors.

Dortmund knocked Wolfsburg out of the DFB-Pokal in the semi-finals last season with a 2-0 victory.

But Wolfsburg do not have to look too far back for their last win over Dortmund, as Rodriguez and Ivica Olic scored in the second half of a 2-1 league success in November 2013.