• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Muller-Wohlfahrt resigns Bayern role

16 April 2015

829017header.jpg

Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt stepped down from his role as Bayern Munich's club doctor on Thursday, citing a break in "the bond of trust".

Muller-Wohlfahrt, the doctor for the German national team, is renowned as a world leader in the treatment of sports injuries.

In explaining his decision to leave Bayern, he suggested his medical department had been blamed for the club's 3-1 UEFA Champions League loss to Porto on Wednesday, which came with a host of Pep Guardiola's star players absent through injury.

"After the Champions League match of Bayern Munich against Porto the medical department was for some inexplicable reason made primarily responsible," read a statement from Muller-Wohlfahrt.

"The bond of trust is damaged."

Bayern media director Markus Horwick is quoted as telling Sport 1 that the club had "not been informed about this step".

Muller-Wohlfahrt, who has been associated with Bayern for almost 40 years, previously resigned his position in 2008 following a row with then-coach Jurgen Klinsmann, only to return when the ex-Germany international departed the club.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hoffenheim v Bayern Munich: Leaders urged to wake up after Euro defeat

16 April 2015

828846header.jpg

Bayern Munich must bounce back against Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga if they are to make the most of another dominant season, according to sporting director Matthias Sammer.

The German champions produced a rare off-key performance at Porto in the UEFA Champions League - succumbing to a 3-1 defeat in the first leg of their quarter-final in Portugal.

As a result, Bayern's hopes of securing a treble have been hit, although victory at the Rhein-Neckar Arena would send Pep Guardiola's men 13 points clear at the summit of the Bundesliga ahead of Wolfsburg's clash with Schalke on Sunday.

"Errors like ours are punished at this level. It’s frustrating," Sammer told Bayern's official website.

"We have to shake ourselves awake. If you want to become a great team, you have to be able to put these things behind you."

Guardiola was more philosophical in his assessment, having seen his side fight back from conceding two early goals, only to then be hit by a Jackson Martinez sucker punch 25 minutes from time.

Bayern were missing the likes of Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mehdi Benatia due to injuries, and Guardiola said: "We recovered well from going 2-0 down and controlled the match.

"I'm not totally unhappy with my team. We tried everything we could, but it wasn't easy."

Hoffenheim remain in contention for a UEFA Europa League place despite Sunday's 3-2 defeat against struggling Cologne and were buoyed by coach Markus Gisdol signing a new contract on Thursday.

After keeping Hoffenheim in the top flight during the latter stages of the 2012-13 campaign, his first full season at the helm resulted in a ninth-place finish.

Gisdol is now in with a chance of securing a place in continental competition for the club.

The new deal keeps him tied down until 2018, but Gisdol's immediate task is to shore his side up defensively, with 10 goals having been conceded in their last three outings in all competitions.

Hoffenheim have also failed to win in over a month - bowing out of the DFB-Pokal to Borussia Dortmund in the process.

However, Gisdol told reporters: "We have made progress in the last two years with giant steps. What I see here is exciting potential for development.

"I have a lot of imagination about what can happen here and in the end it was an easy decision [to sign a new deal].

"If we can establish ourselves where we stand currently, that would be great for us."

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Borussia Dortmund v Paderborn: Klopp rubbishes talk of ´farewell tour´

16 April 2015

829039header.jpg

Following the confirmation of his departure at the end of the season, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp does not want the visit of Paderborn to be the start of a "farewell tour".

Dortmund confirmed on Wednesday they had agreed to an early termination of Klopp's contract at Signal Iduna Park after seven hugely successful years.

Two Bundesliga titles, a DFB-Pokal crown and a run to the UEFA Champions League final helped cement Klopp's position as a favourite at the club.

However, this season has not gone to plan for Klopp's men, who sit in the bottom half following back-to-back league defeats.

Dortmund remain on course for Pokal success but Klopp is eager not to take focus off the league campaign, with visitors Paderborn in need of points to ensure their survival in the Bundesliga.

"We have got eight important games to play. It would not be appropriate for me and my coaching team to celebrate because it is not the right time for that. I am not on a farewell tour," he told reporters.

"We have got eight games to go and we will say goodbye if the time is right. I do not expect anything [from the fans] and I also do not need anything.

"The fans just need to come to the stadium and cheer for their team from the first to the last minute.

"I have told the team. Because of the timetable there was no other time to tell them. But no one applauded. This is maybe the best message.

"I have to say that they are allowed to laugh on the pitch even if camera teams are there. Even if there is the possibility the media are writing 'Klopp is retiring and player X laughs in training'. It is not necessary."

Andre Breitenreiter's side will likely be buoyed by Dortmund's lengthy injury list, which includes Nuri Sahin, Oliver Kirch, Lukasz Piszczek, Sebastian Kehl and Neven Subotic.

Paderborn sit 16th in the table after a surprise victory over high-flyers Augsburg last time out moved them out of the automatic relegation places.

While Breitenreiter still has work to do to prevent his side making an immediate return to the second tier, the 41-year-old took time this week to pay tribute to Klopp and his work with Dortmund.

"Klopp's resignation has not been an issue with the team," he said.

"He has made his personal decision and I think you have to respect that.

"This is a human quality and all I can say is hats off to him.

"We were all surprised, for Jurgen Klopp has shaped his idea of football all these years in the game.

"Ideas like counter pressing and switching are primarily associated with his name."

Breitenreiter also has injury concerns over Alban Meha, Marvin Ducksch, Jens Wemmer and Thomas Bertels are also out of contention.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juergen Klopp's departure puts Dortmund players' future in doubt

Borussia Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp's surprise announcement he will be leaving at the end of the season after seven years in charge has raised questions about the future of some of the big name players at the club.

16 hours ago Reuters

1283058-27653824-2560-1440.jpg

Klopp, who led Dortmund to two league titles and a German Cup as well as reaching the 2013 Champions League final, was crucial in attracting players to the Ruhr valley club with success all but guaranteed in the past years.

But Wednesday's shock announcement leaves Dortmund without their biggest personality and the future of midfielder Ilkay Guendogan and captain Mats Hummels, among others, in doubt.

Klopp said Dortmund needed to change but it could now be a case of forced change.

Germany international Guendogan, who returned recently after more than a year out injured, has yet to renew his contract running to 2016, and Klopp's departure will certainly not boost the chances of him signing an extension.

Club bosses sounded confident in the past months he would sign but radio silence on this issue in recent weeks could suggest otherwise.

Hummels, long courted by Europe's biggest clubs, recently confirmed his interest in playing abroad at some point in his career. Barcelona and Manchester united are among the clubs reportedly interested in the player.

Hummels said only weeks ago he had discussed the outlook of the team with Dortmund bosses to get "an overall picture".

"But I have not yet taken a decision about my future," said the 26-year-old, adding he would let everyone know once he had decided.

"I am not a fan of those who in the foreground talk about staying and then secretly have already written the issue off."

Klopp's departure will no doubt strengthen the role of Hummels in the squad, giving him more leadership responsibilities, especially with veteran Sebastian Kehl retiring at the end of the season.

But it could equally be the trigger that sees the central defender leave for a bigger European outfit.

Former Mainz 05's Thomas Tuchel, linked to every major coaching position in the Bundesliga for months, is seen as a likely successor to Klopp.

But until an appointment is announced, speculation about the future of Dortmund players will remain.

With Dortmund failing to keep big names such as Mario Goetze and Robert Lewandowski in the past seasons when the team was winning trophies, it would not be a surprise if more club stalwarts are headed for the exit now that Klopp was leaving.

XabiAlonso

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mertesacker hopes Klopp takes foreign challenge

17 April 2015

829209header.jpg

Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker hopes Jurgen Klopp will test himself on foreign shores after leaving Borussia Dortmund.

Klopp, who has previously been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United, announced his Dortmund contract would be cancelled at the end of the season, sparking talk of another Premier League move - this time to Manchester City.

Retired Germany international Mertesacker, who racked up 104 caps, feels the Bundesliga's loss will be the gain for wherever the two-time German football manager of the year ends up.

Mertesacker also declared his hope more German tacticians move abroad, with only Felix Magath - Fulham's manager for 12 doomed top-flight matches in 2014 - previously flying the flag in the Premier League.

"It's obviously sad news for Borussia Dortmund - such a successful and passionate manager for them - he was the guy that turned it around at Dortmund," Mertesacker said.

"The whole situation there - he built the squad on young players, and they improved so much in the last seven years he was in charge, so it's a sad situation.

"In the summer it's a new situation for him.

"Maybe he's going to take a challenge and go abroad and see how it goes. I would love to see more German managers abroad, because it's obviously a challenge to learn the new culture, the new language, to adapt to a different system. Why not?

"But it's his decision and he worked really hard, and pushed really hard, so even if he says he's not tired, I think maybe taking a little break and a little breather, would help him to fuel his energy and his batteries.

"I am curious what will happen to him, because he was an outstanding figure in the Bundesliga in the last couple of years - always a title contender, they went to the Champions League final [in 2012-13].

"It'll be interesting to see what happens in the summer."

Kiessling

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Watzke hopes for swift Dortmund appointment

17 April 2015

829259header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke says they are hopeful of confirming a successor for Jurgen Klopp in the next week.

Klopp agreed an early termination of his contract with the Bundesliga club on Wednesday and will leave the club at the end of the season after seven years in charge.

A haul of two Bundesliga titles, a DFB-Pokal crown and a run to the UEFA Champions League final makes the task of replacing Klopp a somewhat daunting one.

However, Watzke said they hope to confirm their new boss in the next week and cooled speculation that former Mainz boss Thomas Tuchel was a shoo-in to take up the role.

"I do not know who the new coach will be and even if I did, I would not say it," he told reporters.

"A second division manager it will probably not be. I would also caution against thinking too one-dimensionally in the direction of Thomas Tuchel.

"We will not wait around forever for a solution. I think that we will arrive at a proper and reasonable solution next week."

Dortmund have endured a difficult campaign this term and look set to miss out on the UEFA Champions League - something Watzke feels cannot be a regular occurrence.

"If Dortmund do not play internationally then we must then just go to the vault," he added.

"But in the medium term we must return to the Champions League. It is crazy that in the latest [financial] tables Leicester City received €50 million more than Bayern Munich.

"Maybe it helps us continue to stay creative when it comes to player development. At this rate, England will never be world champions."

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern confirm Muller-Wohlfahrt resignation

17 April 2015

829292header.jpg

Bayern Munich have confirmed the resignation of club doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt following their 3-1 UEFA Champions League defeat to Porto.

Muller-Wohlfahrt revealed on Thursday that he had stepped down from his position, citing a break in "the bond of trust" after feeling his medical team were blamed for injury-ravaged Bayern's quarter-final first-leg reverse at Estadio do Dragao.

And a statement on Bayern's official website read: "FC Bayern Munich notes with regret the decision of chief medical officer Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt [72] to resign his medical duties at the club.

"Dr Muller-Wohlfahrt in particular, but also his team, have performed first-class work for the club and its players over the years. Our sincere thanks are due for this.

"FC Bayern will shortly announce new arrangements for the club's medical unit. Until then Dr Volker Braun, sports physician and consulting physician in trauma surgery and orthopaedics, will support the FC Bayern team at matches."

Muller-Wohlfahrt - renowned as a world leader in the treatment of sports injuries - is also the doctor for the German national team and has been associated with Bayern for nearly 40 years.

He previously resigned his position in 2008 following a row with then-coach Jurgen Klinsmann, only to return when the ex-Germany international departed the club.

In a press conference on Friday, Bayern's current coach, Pep Guardiola, played down suggestions of a fall-out between himself and Muller-Wohlfahrt.

Asked what had happened between the two, Guardiola replied: "Nothing. It was his decision to leave and I respect it."

Dante

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola insists he is going nowhere

17 April 2015

829645header.jpg

Pep Guardiola has reiterated that he expects to remain at Bayern Munich next season despite the resignation of the club doctor.

Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt announced his decision to step down on Thursday due to a break in the "bond of trust", having claimed his medical team were made responsible for Bayern's 3-1 UEFA Champions League quarter-final first-leg loss to Porto on Wednesday.

Muller-Wohlfahrt, who also serves as doctor for the Germany national team, previously stepped down in 2008 when Jurgen Klinsmann was coach, but returned after the ex-Germany international departed.

Asked about his future following Muller-Wohlfahrt's exit ahead of Saturday's Bundesliga game with Hoffenheim, Guardiola said: "Of course I will be staying here next season."

Guardiola was also quizzed on footage that appears to show him sarcastically clapping in Muller-Wohlfahrt's direction after Medhi Benatia picked up a hamstring injury at Bayer Leverkusen last week.

"It was my disappointment. Nothing to do with the doctor," Guardiola added. "Benatia has struggled with injuries for a long time and that's why I was frustrated. We need him."

Turning his attention to the progress of Bayern's high-profile absentees, Guardiola said: "[Philipp] Lahm won't play tomorrow. He's sick. [Franck] Ribery is also not fit.

"[Bastian] Schweinsteiger won't be in the squad, but it's looking better.

"These players are my heroes.

"Over the last few weeks and months, despite injuries, they've played every minute and are still here.

"We are strong with the team that we have, this is a strong fighting group."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini ´not hurt´ by Klopp speculation

17 April 2015

829386header.jpg

Under-fire Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is not concerned by the speculation linking Jurgen Klopp with his position next season.

The German announced he is to leave Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season after a successful seven-season spell at Signal Iduna Park.

Coupled with the pressure surrounding Pellegrini amid City's stuttering form, speculation has mounted regarding Klopp taking the top job at the Etihad Stadium.

"It doesn't hurt - it happens in every club if you don't have the results you deserve," the Chilean, whose side sit fourth in the Premier League, said.

"When you manage an important club if you don't have the results the club deserves everybody talks about changing the manager.

"It has been the worst period for results, but last year there was more pressure.

"Nobody is happy with the results when you are not in the fight for the title.

"It's logical that the thing is to sack the manager but I don't think that is the correct diagnostic.

"We are thinking about the next game, the game we must play against West Ham on Sunday."

City, who host West Ham on Sunday, are 12 points behind leaders Chelsea, with fifth-placed Liverpool only four points adrift of the champions.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eintracht Frankfurt 0 Borussia Monchengladbach 0: Favre´s men held in entertaining draw

17 April 2015

829629header.jpg

There were chances aplenty but no goals at the Commerzbank Arena as Borussia Monchengladbach spurned the opportunity to move five points clear in third, with Eintracht Frankfurt holding firm.

Lucien Favre's men were seeking a fifth Bundesliga win in a row, which would have given them breathing space in the final automatic qualification spot for the UEFA Champions League.

The hosts have European aspirations of their own, with the Europa League a realistic aim, but neither could seize on the openings they created.

Haris Seferovic failed to capitalise on an early opening, while Kevin Trapp made the first of many saves from Max Kruse's sixth-minute effort at the other end.

The Frankfurt goalkeeper thwarted Alvaro Dominguez and Thorgan Hazard late on as the visitors pushed for a late winner, but the sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Bayer Leverkusen may have been interested onlookers as they can draw level with Monchengladbach on 54 points with a win over Hannover on Saturday.

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Borussia Dortmund 3 Paderborn 0: Hosts respond to Klopp news with fine display

18 April 2015

829940header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund put aside the circus surrounding Jurgen Klopp's future to clinch a comfortable 3-0 Bundesliga win over struggling Paderborn and keep their late UEFA Europa League surge on track.

Klopp revealed on Wednesday that he will depart the club at the end of the season, bringing to an end a seven-year success-laden spell at Signal Iduna Park and his team responded with a professional display on Saturday.

The former Mainz coach's time at Dortmund has seen the club win two Bundesliga titles, a DFB-Pokal and reach the UEFA Champions League final, though for prolonged periods here his team typified the erratic nature of their play this term.

Despite dominating and producing some fine football, Dortmund saw a host of chances go begging in the first half, a familiar source of frustration this season for the side who began the weekend 10th.

But, almost like the flick of a switch, the home side found their range right at the start of the second half, Henrikh Mkhitaryan's opener followed swiftly by a delightful Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang finish.

Aubameyang and Shinji Kagawa both saw goals disallowed for offside, but the Japan international eventually added the third 10 minutes from time, as Dortmund's push for a top-six finish continues.

Dortmund showed no signs of being distracted by their coach's recent announcement during the early exchanges, beginning the contest full of purpose and attacking intent.

It took the hosts just five minutes to craft the game's first opportunity, as Matthias Ginter – back in the side after impressing for the second team last week – forced Lukas Kruse into a flying save with a shot from 30 yards.

The goalkeeper was rendered helpless for Dortmund's next chance in the 11th minute, but luckily for Paderborn, Sokratis Papastathopoulos' header went just wide of the top-right corner.

Ilkay Gundogan saw his low drive agonisingly miss the target a few moments later, and then Aubameyang went close twice in quick succession, blasting straight at the goalkeeper in the 33rd minute before Kruse wonderfully tipped away his audacious chip.

Mkhitaryan was similarly unsuccessful with 37 minutes on the clock, skewing wide from 12 yards after a clever Gundogan pass.

Dortmund's first-half profligacy soon evaporated from their system, however, as the opening attack of the second period brought a deserved lead.

Aubameyang raced on to Jakub Blaszczykowski's throughball on the right flank and the striker's pinpoint cross was nodded home emphatically by Mkhitaryan.

Aubameyang was integral again seven minutes later as Dortmund doubled their advantage, clipping an exquisite chip over Kruse as he dived at the Gabon forward's feet.

Any chance of a spectacular late collapse was vanquished in the 80th minute, as Kagawa collected Mkhitaryan's pass, burst past Rafa Lopez and slotted a composed left-footed effort past Kruse, capping off Dortmund's brilliant second-half display.

BorussiaDortmund

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hoffenheim 0 Bayern Munich 2: Champions end difficult week with hard-earned win

18 April 2015

829955header.jpg

Bayern Munich bounced back from UEFA Champions League and off-field woes to further strengthen their Bundesliga title bid with a hard-fought 2-0 win over Hoffenheim.

A tumultuous week for the German champions saw a 3-1 defeat to Porto leave their European hopes hanging in the balance, while the loss also saw long-serving team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller Wohlfahrt quit after being blamed for events in Portugal.

However, victory at the Rhein-Neckar Arena will go some way to lifting the mood for Pep Guardiola's men, who are now two wins away from securing a third straight domestic title.

The visitors took the lead through Sebastian Rode, who marked his return to the starting line-up with a cool curling effort after good work from Robert Lewandowski inside the area.

Home captain Andreas Beck scored a last-minute own goal to seal the result after Bayern had kept pressure on the Hoffenheim goal with little reward.

An injury to Juan Bernat was the biggest blight on an ultimately successful afternoon for Bayern, who now host Porto in midweek hoping to rescue their continental campaign.

Again missing the attacking flair of Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery, Bayern struggled initially and saw Anthony Modeste go close twice for Hoffenheim, looping a header over before Manuel Neuer stood firm to deny the Frenchman one-on-one after sloppy play from Dante.

Finally forced into life by that scare, Bayern went ahead.

Lewandowski kept play alive after Muller had been denied and fed Rode, who shifted the ball onto his right foot and beat Baumann from 15 yards.

Rode nearly turned from hero to villain just before the break, appearing to trip Eugen Polanski inside the area, only for referee Tobias Stieler to wave away the home side's penalty appeals.

Bayern were dealt another injury blow shortly after the break when Bernat limped off with an apparent ankle problem.

Lewandowski snapped a looping effort onto the top of the bar two minutes into the half, before a fine double save from Baumann denied first Thiago and then Muller from close range.

Kevin Volland fired a volley just wide from distance moments later, but the hosts rarely looked like threatening Bayern's lead, with Sebastian Rudy bending a free-kick just wide five minutes from time.

Bayern's win was sealed in the last minute of stoppage time as Muller raced down the right before producing a driven cross into the area that Beck could only turn into his own net.

An identical scoreline against Porto on Tuesday will see Bayern through to the Champions league semi-finals, but they will likely require a more incisive showing up front if they are to overcome the Portuguese side.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola focusing on Champions League

18 April 2015

830055header.jpg

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola says his side have already switched their focus to their upcoming UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg with FC Porto.

​The reigning Bundesliga champions put a turbulent week behind them to claim well-earned 2-0 win over Hoffenheim on Saturday.

A 3-1 defeat in Portugal has left ambitions of Champions League glory hanging in the balance for Bayern, with team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt quitting his post after being blamed for the defeat.

But the Bavarians managed to put their difficulties aside during a successful days work at the Rhein-Neckar Arena, taking the lead through Sebastian Rode just before half time, before sealing the win late on after Andreas Beck's own goal.

The win leaves Bayern 13 points clear at the top ahead of Wolfsburg's game with Hamburg on Sunday, with only two more wins required to seal a third consecutive Bundesliga title.

The leaders would seal a spot in the Champions League semi-finals if they can replicate Saturday's result, and Guardiola insists his players are already focused on the task at hand.

He told reporters: "We played very well in the first half, and controlled the game.

"The second half was very difficult, as our legs were tired.

"I am very proud of my players. Now next Tuesday we have the most important game in the Champions League.

"It will obviously be difficult, but it's our main goal. I have faith in the players."

Preparations for Tuesday's game looked to have been dealt another injury blow shortly after half time when Juan Bernat was substituted with an apparent ankle problem.

But Guardiola was quick to downplay any concerns, adding: "We didn't want to take any risks."

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp braced for ´brutally emotional´ farewell

18 April 2015

830076header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp refused to let the fans' reception get to him in Saturday's 3-0 defeat of Paderborn as he is expecting a "brutally emotional" farewell at the end of the season.

Klopp announced on Wednesday that he will be leaving his post come the end of the current campaign, bringing to an end seven successful years at Signal Iduna Park.

Dortmund produced a performance against Paderborn that, at times, typified their season so far, dominating but wasting a host of chances.

But, eventually they found the breakthrough just after the break, as goals from Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Shinji Kagawa proved decisive.

Unsurprisingly, the Dortmund supporters gave Klopp a rapturous ovation towards the end of the match and, while he was grateful, he refused to let it get to him, instead looking ahead to his Signal Iduna Park farewell against Werder Bremen on May 23.

He said: "I think it's really good that the crowd today was full. They [the fans] behaved properly [supporting the team as normal], because it today was not about me, but about the team having a good game.

"Of course it's nice when you are celebrated by the fans in the 88th minute, but we have some games left, so I try myself, as a person, not to embrace it, because I know that there will be a game at the end, where it will be brutally emotional.

"I will need a thick shield."

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Bayern win to close in on title, no Klopp distraction for Dortmund

18 April 2015

bayern-munich-rode-goal-cropped_ktlsg5cyxkoq1tthjfi0v1fcx.jpg

Bayern Munich need only two wins to secure another Bundesliga title after putting a difficult week behind them to win 2-0 at Hoffenheim.

The defending champions slumped to a 3-1 UEFA Champions League quarter-final defeat at Porto in midweek and have it all to do in the second leg on Tuesday.

That loss also resulted in long-serving team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller Wohlfahrt resigning after being blamed for events in Portugal, but normal service was resumed at the Rhein-Neckar Arena.

The visitors took the lead through Sebastian Rode, who marked his return to the starting line-up with a cool curling effort after good work from Robert Lewandowski.

Andreas Beck scored a last-minute own goal to end any hopes of a fightback for the home side, but there was another injury concern for the Bavarian giants when Juan Bernat picked up an ankle problem.

Borussia Dortmund got their late charge for a UEFA Europa League spot back on track by easing to 3-0 win over struggling Paderborn in their first game since Jurgen Klopp announced he is to leave the club.

Klopp revealed on Wednesday that he will move on at the end of the season, bringing to an end a seven-year spell at Signal Iduna Park and his team responded with a professional display on Saturday.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan opened the scoring followed swiftly by a fine Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang finish.

Aubameyang and Shinji Kagawa both had goals disallowed for offside, but the Japan international eventually added the third 10 minutes from time, as Dortmund moved into eighth place.

Ruthless Bayer Leverkusen moved up to third by hammering relegation-threatened Hannover 4-0 at the BayArena.

Omer Toprak started the rout and further goals from Julian Brandt, Kyriakos Papadopoulos and Stefan Kiessling made it a painful afternoon for Hannover, who sit just two points and one place above the relegation zone.

Stuttgart remain second-bottom after losing 2-1 at Augsburg, who are up to fifth, while Freiburg remain level on points with Hannover after Shinji Okazaki struck twice in a 3-2 away win for Mainz.

There were no goals in Saturday's clash between Hertha Berlin and Koln at the Olympiastadion.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bundesliga Review: Werder Bremen edge Nordderby, De Bruyne rescues Wolfsburg

19 April 2015

830678header.jpg

Hamburg's woes continued on Sunday as a 1-0 Nordderby defeat to Werder Bremen consigned the rock-bottom strugglers to a fifth successive loss, while Schalke left Wolfsburg with a commendable point.

Bruno Labbadia's appointment in midweek failed to provide a spark for Hamburg, who slipped to a club-record sixth successive game without scoring and are without a win since February 7.

There was little to get excited about from Hamburg's perspective at the Weserstadion, with opportunities something of a rarity throughout.

Franco Di Santo scored the game's only goal, converting a penalty kick six minutes from time after Valon Behrami was dismissed for hauling down Zlatko Junuzovic inside the area.

Hamburg failed to mount a response afterwards and ultimately tasted another defeat to leave them four points adrift of guaranteed safety.

In the day's late kick-off, Wolfsburg needed a late equaliser to salvage a 1-1 draw at home to Schalke, who were denied a first win in five.

After a goalless first half, 19-year-old Leroy Sane put Schalke ahead with his third goal of the season in the 53rd minute, making the most of a kind ricochet before slotting past Diego Benaglio.

Wolfsburg's pressure paid off eventually, however, and it came as little surprise to see Kevin De Bruyne involved, as the Belgian found the bottom corner from the edge of the area with 12 minutes to go.

The hosts could not find an elusive winner, though, and the result means Bayern Munich need only four points from their remaining five games to clinch a 25th Bundesliga title.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: I could rest for a year

jurgen-klopp-borussia-dortmund-04182015_wxg6gh3jmznn152a6f1gorzqw.jpg

Apr 18, 2015 20:26:00

The outgoing Dortmund coach originally said he has no intentions of taking a sabbatical but has admitted he would take some time away from the game next season

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp admits he could well sit out of management for a year when he leaves the club at the end of the season.

The 47-year-old revealed this week that he has agreed to step down at the end of the current campaign after seven years in which he led the club to two Bundesliga titles and a Champions League final.

Klopp insisted that he has no intention to take a sabbatical when he announced his departure, but after Dortmund’s 3-0 home win over Paderborn on Saturday, he conceded that he could well face a spell out of the game.

“I have absolutely no time to think about my future,” Kopp said.

“And it's not really important right now. I want to bring my time here to an end. Everything is possible. My staff and I could rest for one year. But at this time nobody knows what will happen.”

The 47-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League, with Manchester City the front-runners for his signature, while PSG and Barcelona are also rumoured to be interested in the former Mainz boss.

Goals from Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Shinji Kagawa saw BVB return to winning ways after last week’s defeat to Borussia Monchengladbach.

“This game was all about our team putting on a good performance,” Klopp added.

“There was a great atmosphere in the stadium. It will be really emotional once I leave but until that day I have to control myself and my emotions.”

The victory left Dortmund eighth in the Bundesliga table, five points behind sixth-placed Schalke and Germany’s final Europa League slot.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tuchel to take over at Dortmund

mainz-coach-thomas-tuchel_1mhy2fyqn805812a9gy810a7z0.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 19, 2015 12:31:47

The former Mainz boss has agreed a three-year deal with BVB but neither he nor the club will speak about his appointment until the end of the season

Borussia Dortmund have announced that Thomas Tuchel will succeed Jurgen Klopp as coach in the summer.

Klopp surprisingly announced on Wednesday that he no longer felt that he was the right man for the job and had agreed an early termination of his contract, which still had three years left to run.

Tuchel was immediately installed as the favourite to succeed the 47-year-old at the helm and confirmation of his appointment arrived on Sunday.

Tuchel, who, like Klopp, previously worked at Mainz, has agreed a three-year contract with Dortmund and will be officially unveiled as the club's new coach at the end of the season.

BVB added that both parties had agreed not to speak about the appointment until then.

However, former Germany international Stefan Effenberg voiced his support for Tuchel even before the 41-year-old's move to Signal Iduna Park had been made official.

“It can only be Thomas Tuchel," the told Sky. "He has worked successfully in the Bundesliga and had a clear plan – also in Mainz."

Klopp is leaving Dortmund after seven years at the helm, during which time he won two Bundesliga titles and a DFB-Pokal, and also led the club to the final of the 2013 Champions League.

Kiessling

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Korkut sacked by relegation-threatened Hannover

20 April 2015 10:30

830965header.jpg

Tayfun Korkut has paid the price for Hannover's dismal form, with the Bundesliga club sacking the Turkish head coach on Monday.

Bundesliga strugglers Hannover have sacked head coach Tayfun Korkut following a run of 13 Bundesliga games without a win.

Korkut took over the reins in December 2013 and guided the club to a 10th-place finish at the end of last season.

However, in 2014-15, Hannover have struggled badly, winning just seven of their 29 league matches.

With five games to go, the club find themselves 15th in the table, just one place and two points above the relegation play-off spot.

During their run-in, Hannover face four sides currently inside the top eight, while their only fixture against a fellow struggler comes against 14th-placed Freiburg on the final day of the campaign.

Korkut, a Turkey international in his playing days, was handed the Hannover job as his first senior coaching role, but has paid the price for a poor run of results as the club look to rescue themselves from danger.

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bendtner dropped after arriving late for training

20 April 2015 14:37

831071header.jpg

Wolfsburg's sporting director has confirmed Nicklas Bendtner was dropped for Sunday's clash with Schalke due to being late for training.

The former Arsenal man has made 16 Bundesliga appearances for Dieter Hecking's side since his move from the Premier League - scoring just once in the German top flight.

However, the Denmark international was left out of the 1-1 draw at the Volkswagen Arena.

After suggestions Bendtner could have been injured, sporting director Klaus Allofs revealed the striker had instead been late for training on Friday.

"Nicklas was going to play from the beginning but our training session was clearly earlier than he thought," Allofs told Wolfsburger Allgemeine.

"There are a lot of ways of finding out when training is and it is not as if there is that much traffic in Wolfsburg."

Bendtner, who has often played second fiddle to the likes of Andre Schurrle and Bas Dost for Dieter Hecking's side took to Instagram following the game.

"Stay strong and look forward. Mistakes can be made, but you got to deal with it and keep progressing," he wrote.