• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie: Manchester United are lousy

368917_heroa.jpg

Feb 27, 2014 8:09:00 AM

The Netherlands international, who recently admitted he had been forced to adapt his game to suit his team-mates, has now ridiculed the Red Devils' showings this term

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has slammed the club's form this season after suffering yet another disappointing slip-up, this time against Olympiakos.

The Red Devils, who sit 11 points adrift of fourth place in the Premier League, lost 2-0 in Athens and had only one shot on target, while the Dutch frontman blazed over his only chance of the match.

And now Van Persie, who has already criticised his team-mates after the Champions League last-16 tie, has hit out at the club's “lousy” form and showed little sign of optimism that United could arrest their current slump.

“We are lousy — in a lousy position in the league, out of the cups and this (Champions League tie against Olympiakos) looks a difficult one also,” the 30-year-old is quoted as saying in The Sun.

“We are very disappointed. It’s a tough season.”

Van Persie has scored 14 goals in 22 matches for United this season, with his campaign disturbed by injuries, and recently admitted that his team-mates are making it “difficult” for him, forcing the Dutchman to adapt his game.

“Sometimes I try to find ways to do more but in the areas I wanted to play, my team-mates were often there. This makes it difficult for me,” Van Persie told NOS.

“Then I have to change my tactics to suit my team-mates, and play outside my zone. It's a pity.

“We played too slow and could therefore create little.

“I rushed that shot. That's a shame because I don't get a lot of chances so when you get one, you have to score.”

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Van Persie is not settled at Manchester United' - former Netherlands captain Ruud Krol

373115_heroa.jpg

Feb 27, 2014 5:02:00 PM

The 30-year-old striker has been disillusioned with life under David Moyes at Old Trafford and spoke of his frustration with his team-mates after Tuesday's 2-0 defeat to Olympiakos

EXCLUSIVE
By Dennis Mabuka

Former Netherlands captain Ruud Krol believes that it is obvious that Robin van Persie is unsettled at Manchester United.

Goal exclusively revealed on December 14 that Van Persie was considering his future with the Premier League champions as he continued to be disillusioned with life under manager David Moyes.

The Dutch striker has been criticised for his anonymous performance in the Champions League defeat to Olympiakos on Tuesday, where the 30-year-old missed a crucial chance to halve the deficit late on in Greece.

Van Persie's frustration at the first-leg loss boiled over into his post-match comments, with the Dutchman insisting that his team-mates make it difficult for him by taking up his space in games, while he also claimed that United have endured a "lousy" 2013-14 campaign.

And Krol, who appeared 83 times for his country, believes that the former Arsenal star is showing signs that he is not comfortable at Old Trafford.

He told Goal: "I watched him play against Olympiakos the other night in the Champions League and he failed to put away a chance that he would normally score blindfolded.

"Then his reaction later spoke volumes. He is not settled - actually the whole team is lacking self-belief.

"Nobody doubts the player's qualities or what he can do with the ball. Such crisis moments occur once in a while but Van Persie will definitely come good. Holland needs him for the World Cup."

Van Persie is contracted to United until 2016, having joined from Arsenal for £24 million back in 2012, and has scored 14 goals in all competitions for the Red Devils this season.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anelka handed five-game ban for 'quenelle' gesture

354532_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Feb 27, 2014 5:05:00 PM

The West Brom striker used the symbol as a goal celebration on December 28, causing controversy for its alleged anti-Semitic connotations, but is given the minimum punishment
West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka has been given a five-game ban by the Football Association for his 'quenelle' goal celebration.

The former France international has also been fined £80,000 for the gesture and has been ordered to complete a compulsory education course.

ANELKA STATEMENT IN FULL

"Nicolas Anelka is pleased that the FA regulatory commission has found him not to be an anti-Semite and that he did not intend to express or promote anti-Semitism by his use of the quenelle gesture.

"He is now waiting to receive the commission's full reasons for their decision before considering whether or not to appeal."

Anelka has seven days to notify the FA should he wish to appeal against the decision.

In a statement published on its official website, the FA summarised that Anelka "made a gesture (known as the 'quenelle') which was abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper, contrary to FA Rule E3(1); and [...] that the misconduct was an "aggravated breach", as defined by FA Rule E3(2), in that it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief".

"We did not find that Nicolas Anelka is an anti-Semite or that he intended to express or promote anti-Semitism by his use of the quenelle," the report stressed.

The incident occurred when the Baggies striker scored against West Ham in a 3-3 draw on December 28.

Anelka argued that the gesture, which is claimed to have anti-Semitic connotations in France, was made purely in support of a controversial comedian with whom he is friends.

A statement from the forward's camp declared him "pleased" to have been found not to be an anti-Semite but noted that he will wait for more details before deciding on an appeal.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ozil back in Arsenal squad for Stoke clash

370758_heroa.jpg

By Stephen Darwin
Feb 27, 2014 10:17:00 AM

The Germany international playmaker was left out of the Gunners' 4-1 win over Sunderland after a dismal display against Bayern Munich but is now in contention to start on Saturday

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed that Mesut Ozil will return to the squad for Saturday's trip to Stoke City.

The Germany international was left out of the 4-1 win over Sunderland following a below-par performance against Bayern Munich in the Champions League that saw the 25-year-old miss from the penalty spot.

Wenger responded to suggestions that Ozil had been dropped due to poor form by insisting the midfielder was recovering from a dead leg and has now confirmed that he will, along with Thomas Vermaelen, return for the meeting with Stoke.

The Gunners boss told reporters: "Vermaelen and Ozil are back in the squad, we have doubts over [Nacho] Monreal and [Kieran] Gibbs.

"Ozil had a difficult game [against Bayern] and sometimes it's good to refresh when you are under pressure."

Wenger also commented on Joel Campbell following the Olympiakos striker's impressive performance that saw him score his side's second goal in the 2-0 win over Manchester United on Tuesday.

He said: "Campbell was convincing going forward and he looks like he has adapted physically."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eto'o: I don't have to explain anything about my age

360927_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Feb 27, 2014 12:09:00 AM

The Cameroon striker has hit out at suggestions that he is older than 32 after a private conversation involving Jose Mourinho was recorded by a French television station

Chelsea striker Samuel Eto’o has hit out at allegations suggesting he is older than 32 years old.

Jose Mourinho was left fuming after a private conversation was recorded by Canal Plus and revealed the Blues boss saying: "The problem with Chelsea is we lack a scorer. I have one [Eto'o] but he's 32. Maybe 35, who knows?"

But when questioned about Mourinho’s comments after Chelsea’s 1-1 draw with Galatasaray on Wednesday, Eto’o told Mediaset: "I do not have to explain anything.

"I triumphed with all the teams I played for, I'm the player I am and I want to help Chelsea to win a cup this season."

At the Turk Telekom Arena on Wednesday, Fernando Torres’ early opener was cancelled out by Aurelien Chedjou’s strike after the break and Eto’o has urged Chelsea to take advantage of playing at home in the second leg.

"It’s a good result for us," said the striker. "In the return leg, however, we must be very careful and take advantage of the home advantage. We need a goal to qualify."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I'd return to Inter after Chelsea

329151_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Feb 27, 2014 12:33:00 AM

The 51-year-old stressed he is happy at Stamford Bridge but says he would be open to a move back to the club he won the treble with in 2010 if he ever left England again

Jose Mourinho admits he would consider a return to Inter if Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich no longer wanted him at Stamford Bridge.

The 51-year-old spent two seasons with the Italian club and left in 2010 having won Serie A, the Champions League and the Coppa Italia in his final campaign.

"Right now I'm fine at Chelsea, but in the future Abramovich could decide that my adventure here is over," Mourinho told Mediaset.

"That day I could go back to Italy and it's normal for me to think about Inter. But only Inter, not another Italian club."

Mourinho joined Real Madrid after his spell at San Siro, before returning to Stamford Bridge last summer to takeover from interim coach Rafa Benitez.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea team up with 'The Simpsons' for merchandise deal

373654_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Feb 27, 2014 2:53:00 PM

The animated sitcom - the longest-running scripted programme in American history - is set to lend the image of characters Homer and Bart to Blues-themed products

Chelsea have announced an unusual commercial deal which sees them team up with legendary American TV programme 'The Simpsons'.

The merchandising arrangement, struck with Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products, will see the creation of Blues-branded items featuring Homer and Bart Simpson in the club's colours.

The artists of the animated sitcom, which has been commissioned for a 26th season by Fox, have created life-sized cutouts of several key players - including the likes of John Terry and Frank Lampard - in characteristic yellow-skinned style to celebrate.

"It's great to see myself and the other players as Simpsons characters," Terry told the club's official website.

"'The Simpsons' was and still is my favourite show and is now my kids' too. I can't wait to see what Bart and Homer will look like as Chelsea players."

Fernando Torres was also responded positively to the link-up via his personal Twitter page:

The Simpsons . What do you think? #chelseasimpsons #cech #terry #lampard @hazardeden10 @Torres pic.twitter.com/0fcvPWDgrR
— Fernando Torres (@Torres) February 27, 2014 /

Chief executive Ron Gourlay also welcomed the news, declaring: "We are very pleased to announce such an exciting partnership. 'The Simpsons' is a hugely popular show and I hope Chelsea fans will enjoy seeing its main characters in our colours."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Solskjaer unfazed by Tan comments

28 February 2014

421158header.jpg

Cardiff City boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is unfazed by recent comments from chairman Vincent Tan, and focused solely on top-flight survival.

Talking to BBC Sport on Friday, Tan defended his record since taking over Cardiff in 2010 and criticised former manager Malky Mackay.

Tan also blamed the British press for the way he has been portrayed in public, but Solskjaer has played down the interview ahead of Cardiff's visit to Tottenham on Sunday, insisting the remarks will not affect his preparation for an important game.

"They change nothing for this game," he said.

"He's coming to the game, coming to see us.

"I manage the club within my resources. He is saying we have a plan. Everything is in a structure, there's no ifs and buts.

"He knows everything I've done. I deal with football matters. He is very willing to invest, but wants to know ins and outs.

"It has to be transparent, but football decisions are mine. I'm not a person who wants a safe life. I'm in a results business.

"The measure of a man is not in his comfort zone. It's in adversity to show your character. I have to prove I'm good enough."

Solskjaer went on to praise Tan for providing money to aid Cardiff's promotion push last season.

"I see him praising 95 per cent of our fans," said the Norwegian.

"My cup is half full. Of course there's always people who criticise. But we would not be in the Premier League without his investment."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke are not afraid of Arsenal, says Mark Hughes

368211_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Feb 28, 2014 10:30:00 PM

The Welshman feels his team's strong record at home this season will give his side confidence and expects the Potters to cause the visitors a lot of problems

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes says his team are not afraid of facing title-chasing Arsenal as he prepares to welcome the Gunners to the Britannia Stadium.

The Potters face Arsene Wenger’s men on Saturday with the north Londoners going into the game just a point behind leaders Chelsea.

Arsenal have rarely enjoyed their visits to the Britannia Stadium, winning just one of seven visits and Hughes feels his team will once again make it difficult for the Gunners.

“This game doesn’t hold any fears for us, because we have come up against other so called stronger teams in the league and performed really well, especially at home,” he told the club's official website.

“We are really looking forward to the game to be perfectly honest, and there is absolutely no apprehension in terms of our attitude to the game.

“It’s all about going out there, doing the right things and then hopefully being rewarded with all three points – that is the aim.”

Stoke have already recorded victories over Chelsea and Manchester United at home this season and Hughes says that will give them confidence going into the game.

“It’s a credit to the lads that they have been able to produce what they have done against the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City at the Britannia Stadium this season,” he added.

“Because of that we know that we can cause the stronger teams in the league a lot of problems, and Arsenal will know that themselves too.

“They won’t underestimate us one bit, just as nobody does when they come here to face us at our place.”

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho hits out at Premier League over Chelsea's fixture list

373450_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Feb 28, 2014 4:47:00 PM

The 51-year-old Portuguese feels teams returning from a midweek European match should be given more time to recuperate

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hit out at the Premier League fixture schedule and believes a lack of rest is making life "difficult" for his players.

The Blues are currently preparing to play their third game in the space of eight days, after returning from their midweek Champions League tie in Turkey to face Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday.

"We all prefer to play game after game after game - but we all want to play game after game after game with equal conditions for every team,” said Mourinho.

"Every team in the same country has the same privilege to be a little bit protected in relation to European matches.

"It makes the players' job difficult - not my job. I don't play. I could play a match every day and it's not problem for me or the people who make the fixtures."

After Chelsea’s 1-1 draw against Galatasaray in the Champions League, Frank Lampard called on the Premier League to address the schedule when teams are returning from midweek fixtures in Europe.

"Frank Lampard has a right to speak. He's played an unbelievable number of seasons with this club,” Mourinho added.

"He's played more than 100 matches with the England side. He's not a man that normally speaks a lot. He's not the kind of player who is trying to show an opinion.

"When a player like him, and a man like him, express his feelings like that I think this country should listen

"It's not a problem for my legs, it's not a problem for legs of people who make this decision, it's the players' legs."

"I am nobody and my legs are fresh after the last match. I didn't sleep a lot but my legs are fresh. For players, it's different."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EPL, League Cup: Five things to know

Friday 28 Feb 2014 8:05a.m.

vincent-kompany-1200.jpg

Vincent Kompany (Reuters)

By Jack Bezants

Manchester City can win the first trophy of the English season this weekend when it plays Sunderland at Wembley in the League Cup final.

City is three points away from the top of the league with a game in hand while Sunderland is in the relegation zone and faces a battle to secure its status as a Premier League club.

"A cup final is always special and this one is a chance for us to take a very positive step forward this season," said City manager Manuel Pellegrini, who is trying to win his first piece of silverware for the club.

The rest of the top four are all away from home in the league: Chelsea takes on London rival Fulham, Arsenal travels to Stoke and Liverpool plays Southampton.

Here are five things to know about the upcoming matches:

SHOCK?

Manchester City is the favorite going into the League Cup final on Sunday, but Sunderland has a history of springing an upset.

In the last four seasons, Sunderland has won 1-0 in every game between the two at the Stadium of Light. Its victory last November, when defender Phil Bardsley scored the goal to separate the two sides, will give hope that it can surprise City again.

"That game in particular gives us that belief that it is possible," Sunderland manager Gus Poyet said. "If you lose against a team all the time, it is very difficult to convince a player that this is going to be the right time to beat them."

Sergio Aguero could play for Manchester City after returning to training Tuesday following a hamstring injury.

ARSENAL'S REST

Stoke has beaten Chelsea and Manchester United at home this season, as well as drawing with Manchester City, and it will look to add another upset to its list against Arsenal on Saturday.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger gave his players two days off this week to rest, and he believes his players will be mentally fresher for it.

"We came out of a very heavy schedule. Sometimes it is not only physical, it is mental," Wenger said. "You are always under pressure to perform."

Wenger's team could be without left backs Nacho Monreal and Kieran Gibbs, so Thomas Vermaelen could play there. Wenger has also said that Mesut Ozil is back in the squad after being left out of the 4-1 win over Sunderland.

KEEP IT UP

Liverpool travels to ninth-place Southampton looking to keep up its own title challenge, but will hope for an improved display from last weekend's 4-3 win over Swansea.

The four goals it scored meant it overtook City to become top scorer in the league, but looked defensively vulnerable and twice surrendered the lead.

"If you want to be in the top four or win the league, you need to defend well," Liverpool defender Kolo Toure said. "We are scoring a lot of goals but for sure we need to get a better balance."

LONDON DERBY

Felix Magath's first home game as Fulham manager is against city rival Chelsea, as he looks to guide his team to Premier League safety. Chelsea knows a win keeps it at the top of the league and even a point for Fulham, in last place, would be considered a surprise.

But with Sunderland playing in the cup, it gives an opportunity for the teams at the bottom to put pressure on the finalists to pick up points when it returns to league play.

VILLA NEEDS WIN

Aston Villa has not scored in its last three league games and is only four points clear of the relegation zone. It faces Norwich, manager Paul Lambert's former club, knowing defeat could push it nearer to the wrong end of the league table.

With Norwich defeating Tottenham 1-0 last week, Villa's opponent will be full of confidence but captain Ron Vlaar believes his side will be safe at the end of the season.

"Obviously, we know the situation we are in," Vlaar said. "We have 11 games left and we need to get the results we need. We know we can do this."

AP

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League Previews – Fixtures, team news

By Sport Magazine | Thursday, February 27, 2014

sherwood-solksjaer.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur v Cardiff City - Sunday, March 2 White Hart Lane, 4.30pm

It hasn’t taken long for two of the Premier League’s least experienced managers to discover that life is more simple on the pitch than off it. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s seven league games in charge at Cardiff have thus far yielded one win, one draw and five defeats. For Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood, managerial life at least started well, with Spurs unbeaten in six league games before Manchester City decided enough was enough, winning 5-1 at White Hart Lane.

With last weekend’s defeat to Norwich leaving Spurs six points adrift of Liverpool in fourth, chairman Daniel Levy is already rumoured to be feeling the return of that infamous twitch to his trigger finger. After Sunday’s visit of Cardiff, Spurs play Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in March – a run of games that will reveal much about Sherwood’s managerial nous and whether his future lies at the Lane.

Solskjaer has been house-hunting in Cardiff, but his future remains equally murky. Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan made clear his dissatisfaction after the team’s 4-0 defeat to Hull last weekend, telling Solskjaer to cancel the warm-weather training camp planned for this week. “We need five wins from the last 11 (games),” said the Norwegian last weekend. With Cardiff having lost their last six games on the road though, he is more likely to be looking at next weekend’s home tie against Fulham than at Sunday’s game for the first one of those.

Everton v West Ham United - Saturday March 1 Goodison Park, 3pm

Romelu Lukaku doesn’t remember much of his Everton debut. The Belgian – who could return from an ankle injury against West Ham this weekend – scored a late winner for Everton against the Hammers last September. In doing so, he took a blow to the head that meant he knew nothing of his contribution until told by the Everton physio five minutes later. Hammers boss Sam Allardyce will hope he’s forgotten a few more things during his time out injured.

Fulham v Chelsea - Saturday March 1 Craven Cottage, 3pm

Jose Mourinho meets a new potential sparring partner in Felix Magath on Saturday. The Fulham manager started his career in English football with a 1-1 draw against West Brom last weekend, the only glimpse of his supposed ‘fearsome’ side coming when he yelled so hard during the game that his chewing gum was catapulted from his gob.

The Cottagers were denied their first league win since January 1 by an error from goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg against the Baggies, but Magath was unmoved. “It can happen,” he shrugged. Mourinho has been relatively reticent with the press of late, too. But after scraping a 1-0 victory over Everton last weekend he was clear on fears over his side’s lack of goals. Chelsea have put five past Fulham in their last two meetings though, so Saturday’s game could provide a timely reminder to Blues strikers of the job at hand.

Hull City v Newcastle United - Saturday March 1 KC Stadium, 3pm

Loic Remy scored Newcastle’s first goal in more than a month in their win over Aston Villa last weekend. The Frenchman’s 90th-minute winner gave the Magpies their first victory since Yohan Cabaye’s departure and left Alan Pardew beaming like a man given a Death Row reprieve. It was Remy who scored a brace when they took on Hull at St James’ Park earlier this season, although the Magpies went on to lose that game 3-2.

Steve Bruce’s side have improved since then, too. The former Sunderland boss racked up his 100th Premier League win as a manager at Cardiff last weekend, with a 4-0 victory that showcased the increasingly impressive strike partnership of January signings Shane Long and Nikica Jelavic. But the Tigers’ home form has not been as strong of late as it was earlier this season. They’re now without a win at the KC since December, giving Pardew hope of returning the home defeat favour.

Stoke City v Arsenal - Saturday March 1 Britannia Stadium, 3pm

Aaron Ramsey misses the game through injury, but the Arsenal man has played a prevalent role in the build-up after a Stoke fanzine devoted a page to promising him a hot reception the next time he plays at the Britannia. The Welshman scored in Arsenal’s 3-1 win over Stoke at the Emirates this term, but the Gunners have drawn their last two at the Britannia. With Stoke losing just one of their last six league games at home, another draw beckons.

Southampton v Liverpool - Saturday March 1 St Mary's, 5.30pm

The league’s highest scorers with 70, Liverpool go to St Mary’s with plenty to prove at the other end of the pitch. Only four teams have kept fewer clean sheets in the league this season. Southampton snuck a 1-0 win at Anfield in September, preventing Daniel Sturridge from scoring in a sixth straight game. This time, they’ll have Luis Suarez to handle, too. The Uruguayan hasn’t scored in his last five games but they’re definitely coming.

Aston Villa v Norwich City - Sunday March 2 Villa Park, 4.30pm

Paul Lambert felt aggrieved to leave Newcastle empty-handed last weekend, pointing to the loss of the influential Ashley Westwood with a dead leg after 60 minutes as a major blow. Villa have now lost three of their last four in the league – a draw against Cardiff providing a solitary point in the whole of February. Norwich were faring similarly until Sunday’s win over Tottenham, but haven’t won back-to-back league games since last May.

Swansea City v Crystal Palace - Sunday March 2 Liberty Stadium, 4.30pm

One of the league’s newest managers takes on one of its time-worn pros at the Liberty on Sunday. Swansea’s Garry Monk has endured something of a baptism of fire since stepping into Michael Laudrup’s shoes, juggling a Europa League campaign with trying to keep the Swans clear of relegation fears. He’ll face another tough task against Tony Pulis’ resolute Crystal Palace – a game that comes three days after Swansea’s trip to Naples.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson urges patience with Moyes

373116_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Mar 3, 2014 8:20:00 AM

The 72-year-old, who had a hand in hiring his successor, is confident that the former Everton manager will turn things around at Old Trafford if he's given enough time

Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson is adamant that his successor, David Moyes, will turn things around if given enough time.

The Red Devils have struggled in their first season without the 72-year-old at the helm, with the former Everton boss on course to miss out on qualification for next season's Champions League as well as being 2-0 down to Olympiakos in the quarter-finals of this year's competition.

And although the club's disappointing position has caused many fans to declare Moyes the wrong man for the job, Ferguson believes that a stumble in his first season is perfectly natural.

Speaking at a gathering in Los Angeles, he declared: "They will be all right. It's early days and there have been a lot of changes.

"[Moyes] needs time. I was there for 27 years so, with a new manager, it takes time but they'll be OK."

United are in seventh place in the Premier League, 12 points behind fourth-placed Manchester City having played one game more.

Ferguson cemented his place as the most successful British manager in history over his 27-year spell at Old Trafford, winning 13 Premier League titles and two Champions Leagues, among others.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Suarez, Terry & Anelka should have same bans'

373689_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Mar 3, 2014 6:32:00 PM

The network executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe, Piara Power, hit out at the FA for inconsistent suspensions in three similar cases

Anti-racism campaigner Piara Powar feels the Football Association has demonstrated inconsistency when dealing with discriminatory incidents.

West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka was handed a five-match ban and £80,000 fine last week for his controversial 'quenelle' celebration, almost two months to the day after the incident took place.

And Powar, network executive director of FARE (Football Against Racism in Europe) has questioned why suspensions of such varying lengths have been handed out in different cases over the past three seasons.

Powar made reference to the eight-match ban handed to Liverpool forward Luis Suarez in December 2011 for racially abusing Patrice Evra and a four-match suspension imposed on John Terry in September 2012 after Chelsea's captain was found to have abused Anton Ferdinand.

"I don't want to get involved in whether five games is enough [for Anelka], whether it should be seven or eight," Powar told Perform.

"What I would say on that is that this is the third case the FA have dealt with regarding a player, and all the sanctions have been very different, so there is an issue regarding consistency that the FA need to look at.

"Why does Luis Suarez get so many games, John Terry so few and Anelka is pitched in the middle?

"We look for the FA to be very clear about the sanctions that apply for certain actions in and around football. I think they need to be very clear about what those sanctions are and be very clear how they're going to take the action that they should take.

"One of the issues we have is the time that they take in coming to these judgments. This gesture took place at the end of December; the judgment came out at the end of February - that's too long.

"There's no reason why, however complicated a case like this is, that it can't be dealt with within two or three weeks.

"The FA are far more fit for purpose than they ever were, but there still remain gaps in the way in which we're dealing with this issue.

"It seems that we stumble from one issue to another, the lessons are learned and then when we face the next situation, we find the lessons haven't been learned."

Powar also criticised the governing body for determining that Anelka's gesture was not anti-Semitic.

"The FA have no right to be decreeing whether a particular gesture is anti-semitic or not," he insisted.

"That's for the Jewish community. That's for observers where it takes place quite a lot in France and Belgium. It's for those people to make those judgements, not for the FA."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool owner John W Henry admits Suarez did have €49 million clause

358508_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Mar 3, 2014 9:56:00 AM

The Reds chief confirms that a bid from Arsenal just slightly over the Uruguayan forward's release clause was rejected during last summer's tense transfer negotiations

Liverpool owner John W Henry has confirmed that Luis Suarez did have a €49 million release clause in his old contract but revealed that the club refused to sell the striker to Arsenal because "contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England".

Arsene Wenger's side submitted a €49m-plus-€1 bid in an attempt activate the Uruguay international's clause but the Reds claimed that the player only needed to be informed of offers over €49 and were not obliged to sell.

Liverpool maintained their no-sale stance regarding Suarez throughout the summer transfer window and the forward signed a new long-term deal with the club in December.

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

"He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals - this year we're tied for second - we're actually second because of goal difference - offered £40m plus £1.

"What we've found is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England - actually, in world football.

"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving.

"We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell - we were forced to. Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we're just not selling.

"It's been great for Luis, it's been great for us."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stoke City's Adam charged with violent conduct by FA after alleged Giroud stamp

358511_heroa.jpg

Mar 3, 2014 6:42:00 PM

TV cameras caught the Scot standing on the leg of the Frenchman after the ball had been played, while Stoke have confirmed they will appeal

Stoke City midfielder Charlie Adam has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association after appearing to stamp on Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud.

During the second half of the Gunners' 1-0 defeat at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday, television cameras showed the Scotland midfielder standing on the leg of the French striker after he had passed the ball.

An FA statement read: "The incident, which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video, occurred during the fixture between the two sides at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday March 1 2014.

"Adam has until 6pm on Tuesday 4 March 2014 to respond to the charge.

"Under a new pilot project in Premier League matches this season, if an incident has not been seen by the match officials, a three-man panel of former elite referees will be asked by The FA to review it and advise what, if any action, they believe the match referee should have taken had it been witnessed at the time.

"For an FA charge to follow, all three panel members must agree it is a sending-off offence.

"In this instance, the panel were of the unanimous decision that it was an act of violent conduct."

Stoke have revealed they are "surprised and disappointed" by the FA's judgement and confirmed they will appeal "vigorously" against the decision.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pardew charged by FA over Meyler headbutt

374196_heroa.jpg

Mar 3, 2014 4:51:00 PM

The 52-year-old has been charged with improper conduct following his confrontation with the Hull City midfielder during Newcastle's 4-1 win at the KC Stadium on Saturday

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has been charged by the Football Association for his headbutt on Hull City's David Meyler.

The 52-year-old was involved in confrontation with the midfielder during the second half of his side's 4-1 win at the KC Stadium on Saturday.

Pardew was also fined £100,000 and given an official warning by Newcastle but the club confirmed he will not be dismissed over the incident.

A statement from the FA read: "Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has been charged in relation to an incident in his side’s game against Hull City on 1 March 2014.

"It is alleged that in the 72nd minute of the fixture, Pardew was involved in an incident with a Hull City player that amounted to improper conduct.

"Due to the serious violent and/or aggressive nature of the reported behaviour this case has been designated as non-standard.

"Pardew has until 6pm on Thursday 6 March 2014 to respond to the charge."

After the match, Pardew apologised and indicated he was prepared to accept any punishment handed out in response to his actions.

"I’m not stupid enough to expect no punishment," he told reporters. "I’ll have to accept what comes my way.

"I shouldn’t be there. The incident is right on top of me. He’s pushed me away and I’ve tried to ease him away but obviously I’ve put my head in a forward motion and you just can’t do that.

"Sometimes when you’re on the sidelines you can get involved. It took the gloss off a great performance. I’ve kind of spoiled that."

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez keen to stay at Liverpool even without Champions League football

358508_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Mar 5, 2014 12:30:00 AM

The Uruguay international says he is "very happy at Anfield" and feels a top three Premier League finish would be an "incredible" achievement

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez says he is happy at Anfield and insists his future at the club is not dependent on the Reds finishing in the top four.

The Uruguay international has been in scintillating form this season and currently leads the Premier League scoring charts with 24 goals already this season.

Brendan Rodgers’ men currently sit in second place, four points behind leaders Chelsea, but Suarez says he could stay at the club even if they fail to secure Champions League football for next season.

When asked whether he would stay at Liverpool if they missed out on the top four, he told FourFourTwo: "I think so.

"I signed my new contract because I'm very happy here and I want to stay where I'm enjoying football and life. Playing in the Champions League isn't dependent on that.

"I'd actually prefer not to win this Golden Boot and for Liverpool to qualify for the Champions League this season.

"Any player would miss the Champions League. We've not been good enough since I've been here to qualify, but this could definitely be our year".

Suarez also revealed his excitement at the prospect of playing in Europe’s top competition with Liverpool and hopes to maintain his current form for the World Cup.

"It would be a frustration not to get fourth because we've done everything possible and given our maximum to qualify,” he added. “Everyone says Champions League nights at Anfield are amazing - memories you guard forever.

“It would be an unforgettable experience and it's been too long since that happened. I think to finish in the top three, which is still possible, would be incredible with the players we have in the squad.

"This is my best season yet. I feel in a very good place, physically and mentally. Every day, I feel better in this club. I hope to continue down this path because we want Champions League football for Liverpool and, personally speaking, I want to continue that mentality throughout the World Cup with Uruguay."

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool post £49.8m loss despite increased turnover

321200_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Mar 4, 2014 2:21:00 PM

The club's turnover rose by nine per cent to £206.1 million, with debt being decreased by 29%, while a cash injection from Fenway Sports Group saw the repayment of a stadium loan
Liverpool incurred a loss of £49.8 million in the financial year ending May 31, 2013, new accounts have shown.

Although the club's turnover rose by nine per cent to £206.1m in the 12-month period, with debt falling by 29% to just over £45m, their latest figures show they still suffered a significant post-tax loss.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Since Fenway Sports Group (FSG) completed its takeover of Liverpool FC in October 2010, revenue has steadily increased year on year and external debt has decreased overall by nearly £200m.

"Despite the club dropping three places to 12th in Deloitte's Football Money League, Liverpool remains the highest ranked club that is not in the Champions League.

"Its commercial revenue now accounts for 47 per cent of the total revenue, which is bettered by only the Money League's top six."

Managing director Ian Ayre said the figures are a sign of Liverpool's ongoing development, with the club currently second in the Premier League table and on course for a lucrative return to the Champions League following a four-season absence.

"These results demonstrate that the financial health of the club continues to make good progress as we continue our journey to transform the club on and off the pitch," he said.

"With a hugely supportive ownership group, we have taken a measured approach to bring back financial stability to this great club by ensuring it is properly structured on and off the pitch.

"During the period, we signed six new players including Daniel Sturridge, Philippe Coutinho and Joe Allen, and we extended seven players' contracts ... adding strength and depth to the squad while continuing to develop young talent.

"Given where Liverpool Football Club was only a few years ago, the progress that has been made since FSG acquired the club has brought back much-needed stability with an ambitious vision which everyone is focused on.

"I'd like to thank everyone involved in running the club - our owners, fans, partners, players and staff - for all the hard work and dedication."