• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City better 'armed' to win title, insists Hazard

Eden-Hazard-in-action-for-008.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Feb 10, 2014 12:10:00 PM

The Belgian shone as the Blues beat Manuel Pellegrini's men and Newcastle to climb to the top of the table but remains adamant they are not the favourites to finish first

Eden Hazard believes Manchester City are still better equipped to win the Premier League title than Chelsea.

The Belgium international sparkled in Saturday's 3-0 triumph over Newcastle, scoring a hat-trick as Jose Mourinho's men moved to the summit of the standings just five days after an equally impressive performance from the 23-year-old in a hugely significant 1-0 victory at the Etihad.

But while Hazard is hopeful the club can retain top spot, he feels Manuel Pellegrini's team remain favourites in a tight race.

Speaking to Chelsea's official website, the winger said: "At the moment we are playing well and picking up plenty of points. We are first in the table now and we hope we can stay there until the end of the season.

"I think we are less well-armed than [Manchester] City even though when we played there we won. Arsenal lost heavily at Liverpool but they are a great side too so we will see.

"There isn't a lot of difference between the teams so it will be in the [small] details. The best [team] will come out on top."

Hazard is also hoping to continue his own purple patch in order to help Chelsea collect trophies this season.

"I'm going through a good period at the moment," he added. "I try to enjoy myself every match with my team-mates. It's all going well.

"I've played a lot of very good games in my Chelsea career. The last against Man City was very good as well and it was a great performance on my part against Newcastle, but the whole team did well from the first to the last minute.

"I'm happy in life, I'm happy with my football and I'm happy at this club. I am in good form now, lots of nice things are happening and I hope to continue like this."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea title bid stumbles in draw at West Brom

By Toby Davis
LONDON Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:37pm GMT

r

Chelsea's Gary Cahill (L) and Petr Cech (C) challenge West Bromwich Albion's Thievy Bifouma during their Premier League match at the Hawthorns in West Bromwich, central England, February 11, 2014. REUTERS-Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Premier League leaders Chelsea were hit by an 87th-minute sucker punch as they were held to a 1-1 draw by lowly West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday, handing the title race initiative back to Arsenal and Manchester City.

It looked like Jose Mourinho's side would move four points clear after defender Branislav Ivanovic, who got the winner in Chelsea's 1-0 triumph at Manchester City last week, smashed the ball home in first-half injury time to put the visitors ahead.

However, Victor Anichebe grabbed a precious point for the hosts when he headed in Saido Berahino's cross, leaving Chelsea in pole position in the table but possibly for only 24 hours.

Chelsea now have 57 points from 26 matches, two ahead of Arsenal, who host Manchester United on Wednesday, and three in front of City, who are at home to Sunderland.

At the other end of the table, West Ham United again showed they can win without suspended striker Andy Carroll as they beat Norwich City 2-0 to ease their relegation fears with a third successive victory and fourth straight clean sheet.

Second-bottom Cardiff City missed the chance to move out of the drop zone when they were held 0-0 at home to Aston Villa while Southampton jumped to eighth with a 1-0 win at Hull City.

Chelsea have found The Hawthorns an unappealing prospect in recent seasons, having lost on their previous two visits.

With Mourinho's side having scooped 26 points from the last 30 on offer and West Brom winless in four matches under new manager Pepe Mel, few predicted anything other than a win that would see Chelsea's title challenge marching on relentlessly.

Chelsea had kept six clean sheets in their last eight games, so the writing appeared to be on the wall for the hosts when visiting Serbian defender Ivanovic blasted home from a corner.

But with the clock ticking down, Chelsea's defence was disrupted by an injury to Gary Cahill, who left the pitch with a calf problem, only to return seconds before Anichebe rose to flick his header into the net off the foot of the post.

TOO COMFORTABLE

The point moved West Brom out of the relegation zone above Sunderland on goal difference and left Mourinho trying to put a positive spin on a result that could have a decisive impact on the title race.

"We were comfortable in the game, maybe too comfortable. We didn't kill the game when we had the chance," Mourinho was quoted as saying by the BBC.

"In this moment we have one more point than before. If Arsenal and City win tomorrow they go above us but that is their job. Every game is difficult and every team needs points."

West Ham and Norwich had identical records coming into their clash but the momentum of recent results was with the Hammers.

Their third straight win came courtesy of two late goals, with James Collins giving them the lead after 84 minutes when he beat Norwich keeper John Ruddy to a Mohamed Diame cross and flicked a header home.

Diame made the game safe in added time, latching on to a clearance, running the length of the pitch and dispatching the ball into the net with the help of a deflection.

West Ham, whose defence was the butt of jokes following some heavy defeats in January, have now kept four clean sheets in the league for the first time since 1985.

"I had the chairman ringing me up to say we had not won under lights this season or last and that was in my mind," manager Sam Allardyce said.

"Our goalkeeper kept us in the game and we scored late, when it is hard for anybody to come back into it. It's a great end to an important run of fixtures."

Jose Fonte scored the only goal as Southampton improved their prospects of securing European football by winning a tight encounter against Hull at the KC Stadium.

Fonte's effort in the 69th minute was adjudged to have crossed the line by goalline technology and left Hull three points above the relegation zone.

(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ken Ferris)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

United's luck will change, says beleaguered Moyes

MANCHESTER, England Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:04pm GMT

r

Manchester United manager David Moyes walks back to the dressing rooms after their English Premier League soccer match against Fulham at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England, February 9, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Under-fire manager David Moyes is looking for Manchester United's luck to start changing in Wednesday's high-profile Premier League clash with Arsenal at The Emirates.

The champions conceded a last-minute goal on Sunday when they were held to a surprise 2-2 home draw by bottom club Fulham and in their previous game slumped to a 2-1 defeat at Stoke City.

"You just continue doing the right things, we're doing the right things," said Moyes on Tuesday while also dismissing a media report that former England defender Rio Ferdinand would be quitting football at the end of the season.

"We just need to keep going because our luck will change, there's no doubt about that," the manager told the club website (www.manutd.com).

United, who trail leaders Chelsea by 15 points, are languishing in seventh position but did record a 1-0 victory over Arsenal on home soil in November thanks to a goal from former Gunners favourite Robin van Persie.

"We got a good result against them at Old Trafford and we'll try to do the same again," said Moyes who took over when Alex Ferguson retired at the end of last season.

"We are a top side and hopefully we'll go and show that tomorrow."

According to The Sun newspaper, Ferdinand was going to be left out of United's warm-weather training camp in Dubai later this week and that the centre half would be retiring at the end of the season.

"I can only tell you that what was written today was a load of rubbish, complete nonsense," said Moyes.

United are again expected to be without midfielder Marouane Fellaini and defenders Jonny Evans and Phil Jones against Arsenal who are second in the table, one point behind leaders Chelsea.

(Reporting by Mark Pangallo; editing by Tony Jimenez)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mental strength not mind games will win title - Pellegrini

By Toby Davis
Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:54pm GMT

r

Manchester City's manager Manuel Pellegrini watches the start of their FA Cup third round match against the Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park in Blackburn, northwest England January 4, 2014. REUTERS/Phil Noble

(Reuters) - Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini said mental strength will decide who wins the Premier League and not mind games between managers as he declined to continue a verbal spat with Chelsea's Jose Mourinho.

The Chilean coach is looking to steer his third-placed side back to winning ways at home to Sunderland on Wednesday after their title chase stumbled with a home defeat by Chelsea, who now top the table, and a draw at lowly Norwich City last week.

Not surprisingly, Mourinho, who often provokes and antagonises other managers and memorably said last week that "everything I say or do is mind games", has looked to increase the pressure on the big-spending 2012 champions.

After each manager labelled the other team as being title favourites by virtue of how much they had spent in the transfer market, Mourinho hinted City were not operating within the same UEFA Financial Fair Play guidelines.

He then turned his attentions to City's Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure, who aimed an off-the-ball kick at Norwich striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel in Saturday's 0-0 stalemate at Carrow Road but escaped any FA punishment.

Pellegrini, who Mourinho replaced as manager of Real Madrid in 2010, sought on Tuesday to draw a line in the sand under their latest dispute.

"I answered just once to Mourinho because if you remain in silence always, people may agree with those things," he told reporters.

"He started talking about referees and Financial Fair Play, I don't think it is the way to go about things. I will not continue every week talking about things that for me are not important.

"These are not mind games because I don't think managers can be affected by those kind of things, but I will not answer any more on Mourinho."

RECENT BLIP

City, who are two points behind Chelsea and one behind Arsenal, are looking to rediscover their scoring touch after drawing a blank in their last two games, having blasted 68 goals in their opening 23 league fixtures.

Despite having a bulging squad, Pellegrini feels their recent blip has been down to injuries to key players.

"Our recent displays are partly down to injury problems - we also have had (strikers) Alvaro Negredo and Edin Dzeko playing while not fully fit," he said.

"I am not concerned that we haven't scored in the past two games. I have no doubt we will begin scoring goals again soon...

"It's going to be very hard but the team with the strongest mentality is the one that will win the title.

"I maintain the race for the Premier League will go to the last game or two - nobody knows what will happen but that's my opinion."

On the injury front, Pellegrini said playmaker Samir Nasri and midfielder Javi Garcia had returned to training, but defender Matija Nastasic is out with a slight knee problem.

Midfielder Fernandinho and top scorer Sergio Aguero will not return to training for another week.

(Writing by Toby Davis in London; editing by Ken Ferris)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Loss-making Man City to break even this season - Soriano

By Matt Smith
DUBAI Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:02pm GMT

r

Manchester City Football Club CEO Ferran Soriano speaks at a news conference to announce the partnership between Manchester City Football Club and the New York Yankees to form a Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion club, New York City FC, in New York, May 22, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Segar

(Reuters) - Manchester City will break even this season, their chief executive said on Tuesday as he refuted the idea their losses of 150 million pounds ($245.99 million) in the last two campaigns breached Financial Fair Play rules.

Since being bought by Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan in 2008, the club have been transformed from a mid-table English Premier League outfit to one of Europe's richest.

City won the top-flight title in 2012, their first for more than 40 years, to emerge from the shadows of their illustrious neighbours Manchester United.

It came at a high cost though with the club spending 610 million pounds on transfers from 2008-13, according to their latest financial results, while the payroll rose 16 percent last season to 233.1 million pounds.

"We are working towards breaking even this season," chief executive Ferran Soriano told reporters at a conference in Dubai, adding that they aimed to be profitable within two campaigns.

City made a loss of 51.6 million pounds ($84.62 million) last season, down from a deficit of 98.7 million pounds in 2011-12.

New Financial Fair Play rules brought in by European soccer's governing body UEFA cap headline losses at 45 million euros ($61.41 million) in the two seasons between 2011 and 2013, the first monitoring period.

Soriano said City's deficits were within those limits. Clubs that do not comply could be excluded from the Champions League.

"There are a lot of reliefs that can be taken for investment in youth football and old investments," explained Soriano.

REVENUE UP

He said revenue would top 400 million euros (331.9 million pounds) this season - turnover in 2012-13 was 271 million pounds - predicting it would make the club the fifth biggest behind Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and United.

Much of City's new-found income has come from increased commercial revenue that rose by a third last season to 143 million pounds, and have risen almost 10-fold since 2008-09.

Four of the five headline sponsors listed on their website are Abu Dhabi-based institutions - telecom operator Etisalat, investment firm Aabar, Abu Dhabi itself and stadium sponsor Etihad Airways.

City owner Sheikh Mansour is the chairman of International Petroleum Investment Company, a firm that owns a majority stake in Aabar.

His half-brother Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan is Etihad's chairman.

Third-placed City, who trail leaders Chelsea by two points, entertain fourth from bottom Sunderland in the league on Wednesday.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham v Liverpool on after strike suspended

By Josh Reich
LONDON Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:42pm GMT

r

An underground train pulls into Leicester Square station in central London February 11, 2014. REUTERS/Neil Hall

(Reuters) - Fulham's Premier League match at home to Liverpool on Wednesday will go ahead as planned after a strike by London Underground workers was suspended, the London club said on Tuesday.

"Fulham Football Club can confirm, that due to the resolution of the proposed London Underground strike action, its game versus Liverpool on Wednesday night will go ahead as planned," they said in a statement.

The league's bottom club had been considering a postponement because they were unsure about getting enough staff to Craven Cottage in order to comply with safety regulations.

However, the Underground unions involved reached an agreement with Transport for London on Tuesday and the strike was called off.

Fulham, fresh off a morale boosting draw with Manchester United, have the unenviable task of trying to stop a Liverpool side that crushed Arsenal 5-1 and knocked them off the top of the standings on Saturday.

Darren Bent's injury time goal against holders United secured bottom club Fulham a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford and their first point in five matches, a run of form that has left them four points off the relative safety of 17th position.

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen acknowledged the scale of the task facing his side on Wednesday against an attack that in Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge has the league's top two scorers with a combined 38 goals.

"How do you stop them? They've had an incredible season," the Dutchman told a news conference on Tuesday.

"With the pace and the penetration, the variety and the unpredictability, they can all score goals so it has to be all hands on deck for us to make sure we defend in a good compact manner.

"We keep communicating with each other, we don't leave gaps for them to get through and play through, but like I said, the defensive performance from Sunday was definitely a massive improvement and hopefully we can build on that.

"They're six points off the top so they might be a dark horse (for the title). That depends if big teams stumble where you don't expect them to stumble and they can create a momentum carrying them into April, then you never know. But they've had an excellent season."

Fulham earned a share of the points at Old Trafford despite United dominating territory and possession, and Meulensteen remained hopeful they could play in a more attacking style as they aim to keep their Premier League status, having been in the top flight since 2001.

"We defended really well but obviously what we do know now is that we need to be more positive when we have the ball. We've had that in previous games, but we haven't defended as well, so we need to gradually grow to get the right balance."

Meulensteen said club record signing Kostas Mitroglou will not be available for the match since he was still coming up to speed following his arrival from Greek champions Olympiakos Piraeus, while defender Fernando Amorebieta will return to training this week.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez/Rex Gowar)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

BKNEBTK.jpg

s5NtzhN.jpg

Blown away! Man City vs Sunderland and Everton vs Palace games POSTPONED

By Ian Ladyman and Dominic King
PUBLISHED: 18:36 GMT, 12 February 2014 | UPDATED: 00:42 GMT, 13 February 2014

Manchester City face the possibility of a late-season fixture pile-up after the postponement of last night’s Barclays Premier League clash with Sunderland.

With City still pushing for trophies in all four competitions, Manuel Pellegrini and his players will struggle to squeeze in the rearranged fixture any time soon.

City have the first leg of their Champions League tie against Barcelona next week, and the second leg a fortnight after.

article-2557894-1B6F5EB500000578-875_634x391.jpg

Game off: Manchester City's Joe Hart (left) chats with Sunderland's Adam Johnson (centre) and Vito Mannone

article-0-1B6E7BE600000578-236_634x379.jpg

Blustery: A programme booth was blown over earlier in the evening at Manchester City

article-2557894-1B6E5A7100000578-637_634x396.jpg

Windy: A corner flag at the Etihad Stadium blows over before the match was called off

Euston, we have a problem!

Manchester United and Liverpool fans were left stranded at London Euston for hours after the weather stopped outbound services.

United supporters - fresh from watching the 0-0 draw with Arsenal - and delighted Kopites after the last-gasp win over Fulham were initially told no services would be running, but instead faced a two to three hour wait to return north.

There is a ‘free’ week from February 23 to Sunday March 2, but that is also a Champions League week for the other half of the last-16 draw, and UEFA may oppose a game being played in another competition during the same week.

The week after contains international friendlies. So City may have to wait until April to fit this game in, and even then there could be a clash with Champions League fixtures if Pellegrini’s team remain in the competition.

In the short term, the postponement - on a night which also saw Everton’s game against Crystal Palace called off - denied City the chance to go above rivals Arsenal, who were held to a goalless draw by Manchester United last night, and Chelsea, who could only draw at West Brom on Tuesday.

City captain Vincent Kompany had no complaints about the decision, given the 100mph winds buffeting Manchester before kick-off. He tweeted: ‘Game’s called off! Make sure you get yourself home and be safe. Weather is terrible!’

The club revealed that a wall on a nearby road had been knocked down by the wind, and a programme booth had been toppled.

article-2557894-1B6F880A00000578-365_634x411.jpg

Homeward bound: Sunderland players had a wasted journey after their match at the Etihad was cancelled

article-2557894-1B6E950800000578-912_634x379.jpg

In vain: Match officials test the Hawkeye system in the wind and rain before the match was called off

article-2557894-1B6E957000000578-705_634x369.jpg

Heading home: Fans will be forced to return home after City's match with Sunderland was called off

Crystal Palace chairman, Steve Parish, took to Twitter to air his views...

He wrote: 'Asked to delay kick off, to get fans coaches there, told there were no problems and no need to be delayed, 20 mins later games called off!'

'What an absolute shambles, just got home 7 hours in the car longer for the fans on the coaches!!'

There were also reports that trees had blown down, causing tailbacks on roads leading to the stadium.

Some City and Sunderland fans asked why the game was postponed at 6.45pm, an hour before kick-off.

There had been a red weather warning in place in Manchester for some time yesterday, but City officials explained that it was only when the wind grew stronger in the two hours before kick-off that problems began to arise.

Everton and Crystal Palace fans were even more furious, as their game was called off just 35 minutes before it was scheduled to start.

Everton’s chief executive Robert Elstone defended the club’s decision. Everton immediately decided to postpone when a chimney was blown off the roof of the Winslow Pub, which is adjacent to the stadium on Goodison Road.

article-2557894-1B6F007300000578-27_634x420.jpg

Late call: Everton's match against Crystal Palace was also called off due to the weather

Elstone said: ‘At 6.30pm I had a meeting with our head of safety, the police and the referee and it was decided we should go ahead. But 10 to 15 minutes later things started dropping off roofs.

'There was no other decision we could take. Fans’ safety always has to come first.’ Everton manager Roberto Martinez had no complaints.

‘The last thing we want is for any of the fans to be put in a dangerous position,’ he told Everton TV.

‘It is disappointing because we were ready to warm up and it’s an anti-climax. But the police have called the game off and rightly so.’

The weather was also causing problems for Manchester United and Liverpool fans attempting to make their way back north from London last night.

With sections of the M6 motorway closed in both directions and severe delays to northbound train services leaving Euston station, a large number of supporters were facing the prospect of being stranded in the capital overnight.

article-2557894-1B6EDA4B00000578-455_634x423.jpg

Disappointment: The match had to be postponed after a chimney had blown down off the roof of a nearby pub

article-2557894-1B6ED8FE00000578-625_634x414.jpg

Had to be done: Everton stewards speak with supporters after the game was called off late on

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal announce pre-tax losses of €2.7 million

369385_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Feb 14, 2014 6:53:00 PM

Despite improved fortunes on the pitch the Gunners' finances have taken a hit as profit from player sales reduced dramatically, but chairman Chips Keswick is not worried

Arsenal have announced an overall loss before tax of €2.7 million in the six months to the end of November.

Arsene Wenger's side are mounting a concerted Premier League title push this season, but off the field the club have suffered a €24.4m decline in pre-tax profits compared to the same period in 2012.

Turnover from football rose from €129.5m to €166m thanks to increases in match-day income and broadcasting revenues, but significant reductions elsewhere resulted in the overall loss.

Profits on player sales were reduced by €44.8m compared to 2012, while revenue related to property owned by the club also fell by €38m.

Despite the results, chairman Chips Keswick remains positive about the future of the club both on and off the pitch.

"When I was appointed chairman last summer, there was good reason to believe that the hard work which has been put in, by many people across the club, over recent years had created the momentum for a successful season in every aspect of our activities," he said in a statement on the club's official website.

"Thus far that optimism has been well-founded. We believe we are in a strong position to take the club forward both in the short-term and beyond and to deliver future on-field success."

Arsenal have no concerns regarding Uefas Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations and expect to meet the requirements for both the Premier League and the European governing body.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsene Wenger Meets With Robin Van Persie’s Agent About Shock Arsenal Return

by Steven Green February 14th, 2014

Robin-Van-Persie-Man-United.jpg

Man United striker could be heading for the exit.

Manchester United star Robin Van Persie could be in line for an amazing return to former club Arsenal in the summer as reports suggest that he met with the players agent to discuss a potential move, according to the Metro.

The Dutch international forced through a move to Old Trafford in the summer of 2012 and enjoyed a fine debut campaign with the club as he went on to help them lift the Premier League trophy.

However, he has no reportedly become disillusioned with life at the club as they struggle to adapt to life under David Moyes and he is said to be keen on making a return to his former north London stomping ground.

Wenger supposedly met Van Persie’s representative in London late last month where it was made clear that Van Persie wants to leave United – and go back to the Gunners.

And now the Gunners boss is said to be considering his next move as United may make the player available as part of the projected squad overhaul at the end of the season.

Wenger kept his cards close to his chest when asked about the possibility of bringing the 20-year-old back to the club this week, but he is believed to have consulted his playing staff to find out whether he would be welcomed back.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Wenger is a specialist in failure

368422_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Feb 14, 2014 2:22:00 PM

Responding to the Arsenal manager's claim that managers who downplay their title chances have a "fear to fail", the Chelsea boss highlighted his rival's trophy drought

Jose Mourinho has further ignited his war of words with Arsene Wenger by labelling the Arsenal boss "a specialist in failure".

Mourinho, unbeaten in 10 games against Wenger, was responding to comments from the Frenchman that the Premier League title was now Chelsea's to lose after they went top of the table in midweek.

After Mourinho's repeated assertion that his side are not favourites for the title this season, Wenger suggested that managers who play down their team's chances have a "fear to fail".

But when presented with the latest comments from the Gunners boss, the Portuguese replied: "He's a specialist in failure. I'm not.

"The reality is he's a specialist because eight years without a piece of silverware, that is failure."

Chelsea currently lead the Premier League by a point from Arsenal after 26 matches, with Manchester City and Liverpool two and three further points back respectively.

But Mourinho has been at pains to stress that his side should not be considered the front-runners in this season's title race, labelling them a "little horse" and City a "Jaguar".

Arsenal, meanwhile, are mounting their most concerted challenge in years as Wenger bids to end a trophy drought which stretches back to 2005.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham sack Meulensteen & name Magath first team manager

369258_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Feb 14, 2014 6:58:00 PM

In a statement which makes no mention of the Dutchman, the Cottagers revealed they have hired the experienced German as his replacement on an 18-month contract
Fulham have confirmed they have appointed Felix Magath first team manager on an 18-month contract, while Rene Meulensteen has revealed he has been sacked.

In a statement which made no mention of the Dutchman, the Cottagers revealed they have added the experienced German to their unique management structure.

Shortly afterwards Meulensteen confirmed he had been sacked, telling BBC Radio 5live: "I knew the owners were freaking out a bit that Fulham could be relegated. They've hit the panic button."

“I am very happy to welcome Felix Magath to Fulham Football Club," owner Shahid Khan told the club's official website.

"Felix is an accomplished manager with multiple honours in the Bundesliga and a hunger to replicate his success with Fulham in the Barclays Premier League.

"I’m especially impressed with the reputation Felix has for coming into clubs at difficult times, often late in the season, and lifting them to their potential and beyond.

"Felix knows that is precisely the task awaiting him at Fulham, and he made it abundantly clear that he wants and is ready for the opportunity.

"Our club has shown promise in recent matches, but the fact is we have not won a league match since January 1. Given our form, we can no longer merely hope that our fortunes will finally turn.

"And with 12 matches remaining and at least four points separating us from safety, we certainly can no longer post empty results. Action was required.

"Alistair Mackintosh did a wonderful job during the January transfer window to improve our club.

"This week, Alistair recommended Felix, with his history of producing results for Clubs with similar challenges as ours, as the new manager of Fulham.

"Alistair’s recommendation received my complete approval and Felix has my unequivocal support."

Fulham CEO Mackintosh added: "The opportunity to bring in a manager with the experience of Felix Magath would typically be unlikely at this point in the season.

"However, Felix relishes this challenge. He is very impressed with our squad and commitment by Mr. Khan, and his confidence is precisely what we need over these final three months of the season.

"I thank Mr. Khan for his support and we are all looking forward to welcoming Felix to Fulham."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England legend Sir Tom Finney dies aged 91

50825_heroa.jpg

Feb 14, 2014 10:30:00 PM

The winger made over 400 appearances for Preston North End between 1946 and 1960, earning 70 England caps and scoring 30 goals for his country

Sir Tom Finney, a legendary figure in English football, has died at the age of 91.

Preston North End confirmed the passing of the "greatest player to ever play" for the club on Friday night.

"Preston North End have been informed of the extremely sad news of the passing of Sir Tom Finney," a statement on the club's official website reads.

"Sir Tom was the greatest player to ever play for Preston North End and one of the all time greats for England.

"The thoughts of everyone at the Club, and those connected with it, are with his family at this time."

Finney made over 400 appearances for Preston and earned 76 caps for England, scoring 30 goals and sitting joint-sixth on the all-time leading goalscorer's list.

The winger represented England at two World Cups, in 1954 and 1958.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham look to Magath's eccentric methods for salvation

By Brian Homewood
Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:04pm GMT

felix-magath-wolfsburg_3083905.jpg

(Reuters) - The nickname Quaelix, a combination of the German verb for torture and the name Felix, tells Fulham's players all they need to know about the type of training sessions they can expect under their new manager.

Anecdotes abound about how former West Germany forward Felix Magath, named as English Premier League bottom club Fulham's third coach of the season on Friday, forces players to run up mountains or wear led-weighted jackets in training.

During a stint at VfB Stuttgart, one of seven Bundesliga clubs he has coached, Magath subjected his squad to three training sessions three times a day, including a cross-country run at dawn.

When he took VfL Wolfsburg on a summer training camp to Switzerland, he promised his players that they would spend the afternoon on a trip up a nearby mountain, with cake and coffee at the cafe near the summit.

The only catch: on arriving at the cable car station, the players were told they would have to run to the top.

Magath's most recent coaching job, also at Wolfsburg, ended in 2012 shortly after he made them go on a long run through the woods and threw away their drinking water.

"Training must push athletes to their limits," Magath once said. "Any player who is willing to improve themselves should enjoy training."

That does not seem to be the case with some of his former players.

Defender Rafinha, now at Bayern Munich, said after playing under Magath that he felt qualified for a spell in the Brazilian army.

Schalke 04 forward Jefferson Farfan had a love-hate relationship with Magath at Schalke 04 and said following his departure: "All the coaches who Schalke have had in the last few years gave something to the club, the only coach who didn't leave anything positive behind was Magath."

CHESS PLAYER

Needless to say, discipline has also been high on Magath's list of priorities.

When Brazilian playmaker Diego fell foul of Magath at Wolfsburg, storming off home after being left on the substitute's bench for a key match, Magath banished him and loaned him to Atletico Madrid for the following season.

For much of his career, Magath's eccentricities have brought success.

The 60-year-old, a keen chess player, is regarded as tactically astute and a master at getting the most out of the players at his disposal, and likes to point out his tactics that brought titles rather than his players' fitness.

He won the Bundesliga and German Cup double for two seasons in a row with Bayern Munich and led Wolfsburg to their only Bundesliga title in 2009.

He then moved on to Schalke 04 and led them to a second place Bundesliga finish in 2010 before taking them into the Champions League quarter-finals the following season.

Yet, shortly after that, he was sacked with Schalke chairman Clemens Toennies saying it was time "to draw a line now as the club is on fire".

Magath had amassed an unusual amount of power by German standards, where most clubs have a sporting director in addition to the coach, and signed 40 players in 18 months.

Within days he was back at Wolfsburg, who were by now threatened with relegation, and managed to pull them to safety in the nick of time.

Magath quit early in the 2012/13 season after another spending spree failed to produce the expected results.

By this time, there was a general feeling in the Bundesliga that his training methods were becoming outdated and players could not be exposed to them for more than one or two seasons.

Magath has been named by Fulham to replace sacked Dutchman Rene Meulensteen, former assistant to Manchester United's now-retired manager Alex Ferguson, with a salvage job on his hands.

He is the sort of coach who could save the west London club from relegation but it will be fascinating to see whether his methods work in the long run, or even whether he changes them.

(Writing by Brian Homewood; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City stadium plans approved

369425_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Feb 15, 2014 12:45:00 AM

The Etihad Stadium side have been given permission to expand from a 48,000 capacity ground to over 62,000 - second only to rivals Manchester United in the Premier League

Manchester City have received planning permission to increase the capacity of the Etihad Stadium to over 60,000.

The proposed expansion will make the Etihad the second largest ground in England's top flight, with only Old Trafford - home of City's fierce rivals Manchester United - holding more.

City intend to initially redevelop the South Stand, by adding an initial 6,250 seats, while permission has been granted to do the same to the North Stand and to add a further 2,000 at pitch-side.

The plans will bump the Etihad's capacity from 48,000 to approximately 62,000.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Manchester City Football Club has today [Friday] received formal notification of the granting of planning permission to expand the Etihad Stadium.

"It is the club's current intention to first proceed with the development of the South Stand.

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho silly and disrespectful, says Wenger

By Toby Davis
LONDON Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:02pm GMT

r

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger gestures during their English Premier League soccer match against Crystal Palace at the Emirates stadium in London, February 2, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger continued the war of words with Jose Mourinho on Sunday, calling the Chelsea coach's criticism of him 48 hours earlier "silly disrespectful remarks".

On Friday, Mourinho dubbed the Frenchman "a specialist in failure" for going almost nine years without winning a trophy.

Wenger was then on solid ground to offer a withering response after Arsenal edged a rousing FA Cup fifth-round tie against Liverpool 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium.

"I don't want to get into those silly disrespectful remarks," Wenger told BT Sport television.

"I never spoke about him in my press conference and I will not start that. The only thing I know, it's more embarrassing for Chelsea than for me.

"I am embarrassed for him ... honestly."

Twenty-four hours after Mourinho's verbal attack on Wenger, his Chelsea side lost 2-0 at Manchester City in their fifth-round encounter.

"I am more disappointed for Chelsea than for me," added Wenger of the Portuguese's verbal attack. "I am not interested in the subject at all and that is really genuine.

"Honestly I cannot force my interest in things I am not interested in," he told reporters. "I love football and I am sorry to disappoint you but what is interesting for me is what happens on the pitch."

Mourinho's criticism was in response to Wenger who had said earlier on Friday that the Premier League title was Chelsea's to lose as they were top of the table.

FEAR OF FAILURE

He also hinted that the Portuguese had ruled his side out of the race because of a fear of failure.

In terms of matters on the pitch, Arsenal were not at their best against Liverpool but took a 2-0 lead with goals from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lukas Podolski.

Liverpool struck back with a Steven Gerrard penalty after a foul on Luis Suarez, missed several other good chances and were denied a second spot kick by 2010 World Cup referee Howard Webb.

Suarez, tripped by Podolski for the first penalty, was involved again when he was clattered by Oxlade-Chamberlain but this time his appeals were waved away.

"The second one was even clearer than the first," said Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers.

"Howard was in a great position. I am not sure if it was because it was so close to the other but we are bitterly disappointed.

"It looked a blatant penalty. It can be the defining moment once again."

The same referee also denied Liverpool a penalty when Suarez appeared to be fouled by Samuel Eto'o in their 2-1 league defeat at Chelsea in December.

Rodgers said he hoped Suarez's reputation for going to ground too easily did not cloud Webb's judgement.

"I think it's the type of player he is. We provoke a lot of challenges because of the aggression in our offensive game," the Liverpool manager explained.

"Luis is always in the box and quite a lot of the time he does not get what he deserves. The one at Chelsea was a clear penalty and if it is a penalty he should have had it independently of his reputation."

(Editing by Tony Jimenez)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City are bigger than United, says Pellegrini

349520_heroa.jpg

By Ed Huntley

Feb 17, 2014 3:27:00 PM

The Chilean, whose side are still fighting for honours in four competitions, believes his title-chasing squad have now usurped the Red Devils as the dominant force in the city

Manuel Pellegrini has claimed that Manchester City are now a bigger club than struggling rivals Manchester United.

The Chilean has engineered an assault on four competitions this season, with a Champions League last-16 tie against Barcelona the latest test standing between City and an unprecedented quadruple.

David Moyes' men, meanwhile, have struggled to defend the title they won last season, have been knocked out of both domestic cups and are fighting just to finish in the top four.

And while Pellegrini appreciates United's past glories, he is confident his side have altered the balance of power and are now a more dominant force than their city rivals.

When asked if City had overtaken the Red Devils, Pellegrini told reporters: “The biggest team is City now but we can't forget the last few years.”

He added: “If we only consider this season, there is just one club in Manchester and it's ours. But you cannot forget what United has done in the previous years.

“We are aiming to keep growing by winning many trophies - not just national but international trophies.

“We are fighting for four titles this year. We have to be patient because you cannot change the team from one day to another.

“We have to keep the philosophy of the style and for that you need time.”

Meanwhile, Pellegrini confirmed that Sergio Aguero will miss Tuesday night's clash with Barcelona, though Fernandinho could overcome a muscle problem to play.

“Fernandinho has a chance to play,” added the City boss. “He is in the squad and trained well without any problems today. Sergio is not in the squad.”

He added: “I'm sure our fans will enjoy this game. I think they have enjoyed the season and it is important we continue to play this way.”

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Swansea fired me for breach of contract, says Laudrup

By Mark Pangallo
LONDON Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45pm GMT

r

Swansea City's manager Michael Laudrup gestures before their Europa League Group A soccer match against St. Gallen in St. Gallen December 12, 2013. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

(Reuters) - Michael Laudrup said on Tuesday he was sacked as manager of Premier League Swansea City this month for a breach of contract.

The 49-year-old Dane, who won the League Cup with the Welsh team last season, held a news conference in London to explain the circumstances surrounding his abrupt dismissal.

Laudrup said he was asked by the Swansea hierarchy to change his backroom staff in January but refused their request.

Following two meetings with club officials, including chairman Huw Jenkins, Laudrup said he got an email which said due to a "breach of contract" his position had been terminated.

Laudrup did not go into specifics but said the reasons were given to him nine days after the original decision was made.

Swansea declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.

"I don't know what word to use, silly or incredible, but I can't go into details," said Laudrup when asked if he was satisfied with the criteria given by Swansea.

"The chairman's statement gives more questions than answers."

Asked how he felt he had been treated by the club Laudrup added: "Pick a feeling. Not that good."

In Swansea's February 4 statement announcing that Laudrup had been sacked, Jenkins said: "It is a decision we have taken reluctantly. But it's a decision made in the best interests of Swansea City Football Club and our supporters.

"It is the first time in nearly 10 years that the club has parted with a manager in this way, but we had to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club and Michael's long-term future with us."

NEW DEAL

The dispute is now in the hands of lawyers with Laudrup having signed a new deal in March 2013 to remain at the club until June 2015.

Laudrup told reporters on Tuesday that he was committed to staying at Swansea despite a rift that had reportedly formed between his agent Bayram Tutumlu and Jenkins.

"During the summer I saw a lot in the press, here and maybe more in Denmarkm about the problem with the chairman and my agent Bayram," he explained.

"At a certain point the connection between them stopped because of problems between the two of them.

"Of course, because you are caught in the middle you have to have an opinion, but I said it didn't change anything for me.

"My agent has been with me a long time and I trust him, but it doesn't change my relationship with the club.

"At the end of the season I gave my word to the players and fans that I would stay even though I knew from agents - I didn't speak to anyone - that a couple of big clubs were interested in me. I said it was important that I keep my word. I don't run from that, so I will stay."

Swansea fired Laudrup with the team in 12th place, only two points above the relegation zone after a run of six defeats in eight league games.

Despite the situation Laudrup said he still had fond memories of British football and would like to work in the Premier League once more.

"It wouldn't be fair to UK to say (the sacking) soured my relationship with British football. Of course I would like to work in the Premier League and win more trophies," he said.

The former Denmark forward has been replaced at the struggling Welsh team by club captain Garry Monk.

Swansea are currently 10th in the standings, four points clear of the relegation zone, with 12 matches remaining.

(Reporting by Mark Pangallo; editing by Tony Jimenez and Ken Ferris)

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham sack five, hire two in Magath shake up

By Mark Pangallo

LONDON Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:44pm GMT

r

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen reacts ahead of their English Premier League soccer match against Aston Villa at Craven Cottage in London, December 8, 2013. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

(Reuters) - Fulham have officially dismissed manager Rene Meulensteen, assistant coach Ray Wilkins and technical director Alan Curbishley only weeks after appointing them, the Premier League's basement side club said on Tuesday.

The west London club's revolving door continued to spin with first team coaches Mick Priest and Jonathan Hill joining the exodus of backroom staff following the appointment of new manager Felix Magath on Friday.

Fulham also announced immediate replacements with Tomas Oral named as first team coach and Werner Leuthard now responsible for conditioning.

"I'm very grateful to Rene, Alan and Ray, as well as Mick and Jonathan, for their commitment to Fulham," chairman Shahid Khan said in an official statement on www.fulhamfc.com.

"Their efforts were admirable and appreciated, and I wish them the best.

"Felix has come to Fulham with purpose and exceptional confidence, and I know he's extremely pleased to have Tomas Oral and Werner Leuthard join him for the mission ahead.

"From today forward, the focus is singularly on winning football matches and remaining in the Barclays Premier League. The work has begun."

The 60-year-old Magath was named manager despite Meulensteen only being given the job in December after Martin Jol's sacking, with the Dutchman initially having joined in mid-November to work alongside his compatriot.

Meulensteen, whose team had drawn at ex-club Manchester United and narrowly lost to Liverpool in their last two games, has described the appointment of former Bayern Munich coach Magath as a sign Fulham were hitting "the panic button".

German Magath has extensive coaching experience in the Bundesliga but has never worked abroad before.

Fulham, who have been ever-present in the top flight since 2001, are four points from the safety zone with 12 games to go.

The 2010 Europa League runners-up were taken over by Khan, the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL franchise, last July.

(Reporting by Mark Pangallo, additional reporting by Mark Meadows and Clare Lovell; editing by Ken Ferris)

Last edited:

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Collins: Fulham taking ´huge gamble´

18 February 2014

418963header.jpg

Former Fulham midfielder John Collins believes the club is taking a "huge gamble" by replacing head coach Rene Meulensteen with Felix Magath.

The Craven Cottage outfit - two points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League - announced the dramatic appointment of Magath as first-team manager on Friday, bringing an end to Meulensteen's tenure after just over two months.

Collins, who spent three seasons at Fulham between 2000 and 2003, has questioned whether recent developments are in the best interests of the club.

"There are very strange goings on at Fulham and I'm not liking what I'm seeing," he told talkSPORT.

"Rene Meulensteen signed five players (during the January transfer window), got rid of three big ones, but he had no time to work with his new players.

"Questions need to be asked and answered: Why have they done that? Why did they give the manager the go-ahead to bring in new players and then give him no time to work with them?

"It seems to me Fulham have made some rash decisions. We've not really heard from the owner in the last few months and he hasn't really answered any questions. Something has happened in the background but it would be nice to know why.

"They've taken a huge, huge gamble. It's in the lap of the Gods now."