• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bruce: Van Gaal must find role for Giggs at Manchester United

399182_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
May 6, 2014 9:31:00 AM

The Hull City manager believes the 40-year-old will still be at Old Trafford next season even if Louis van Gaal makes wholesale changes to the club's backroom staff

Hull City manager Steve Bruce believes Ryan Giggs will be given a role at Manchester United regardless of Louis van Gaal’s arrival.

As Goal reported in April, Van Gaal has agreed a deal to take charge at Old Trafford following Netherlands’ World Cup campaign, and an official announcement is expected before the end of the month.

Giggs, who organised a special get-together for players and staff at Carrington on Sunday, has admitted his future at Old Trafford is unclear but Bruce feels the 40-year-old will still be at the club in some capacity next season.

“There’s always going to be a place for Ryan at United because he has been a great there,” said Bruce.

“But it’s a difficult one to call because if it is Van Gaal, he will have his own opinions on it. But I’m sure they will find a space for Ryan somewhere.

“He’ll do something and I don’t think he’ll leave. He will be treated properly, I’m convinced of that, and he will have some role to play.

“Ryan may still have a role as a player. If Ryan feels up to it, why wouldn’t you keep him on?

“I saw him play a few weeks ago, and he still looks a very good player to me.

"If he was to be available on a free this summer, I’d take him. He can come and see out his days at the KC in the Europa League!”

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Baldini expecting to keep Tottenham job ahead of summer rebuild

400716_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2014 9:46:00 AM

The technical director oversaw an extravagant spending spree but is set to be retained at the club despite the struggles of the likes of Roberto Soldado and Nacer Chadli

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

Franco Baldini expects to be retained as Tottenham's technical director for the coming Premier League season, Goal can reveal.

Appointed last June after an extended courtship, the Italian has borne much of the criticism for the club's failure either to qualify for the Champions League or to win silverware following a €122 million summer spending spree.

While Baldini accepts that none of the seven senior players signed during his first White Hart Lane transfer window have excelled in their debut Premier League seasons - and is prepared to accept ultimate responsibility for their failings if his employer requires it - he argues that their recruitment should not be considered a waste of Tottenham's resources.

Forced to sell the division's most decisive footballer to Real Madrid when Gareth Bale insisted on moving to Spain, and despite going through a mid-season change of coach, Tottenham are poised to finish this campaign just one Premier League position and a maximum of six points short of last season's total. A single point at home to Aston Villa will secure a place ahead of deposed champions Manchester United.

For Baldini that is an indicator that the overall quality of Tottenham's squad has been improved by the summer reinvestment in Roberto Soldado, Erik Lamela, Paulinho, Christian Eriksen, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches and Nacer Chadli.

As all seven signings arrived from overseas leagues and all have struggled in one way or another, Baldini believes the club is certain to receive a better return from the spend as the players benefit from a year's adaptation to the English game.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been unnerved by a campaign that was expected to deliver not only lucrative Champions League qualification but also a direct challenge for the title.

Levy felt he was forced into the mid-December dismissal of Andre Villas-Boas, with whom his working relationship was extremely poor. He has also been disappointed by some of Tim Sherwood's actions since succeeding the Portuguese.

Baldini has counselled patience, advising that Levy wait until the end of the season to review Sherwood's performance and make a final judgement on whether to allow the abrasive Englishman to continue as coach. He also proposed a strategy of avoiding talking to candidates to replace Sherwood until that decision to sack or back was taken.

It is understood that the approach for Ajax coach Frank de Boer, made public last week, actually dates back to November when Tottenham were sounding out candidates as an insurance policy should they deem it necessary to replace Villas-Boas.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vidic set for Old Trafford farewell

Nemanja Vidic, the man described as Manchester United's "rock" for the last eight and a half years, will wave goodbye to Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

Danny%20Welbeck,%20Robin%20van%20Persie%20and%20Nemanja%20Vidic%20of%20Manchester%20United.jpg

Tuesday 6th May 2014

With so much attention being placed on the expected appointment of Holland coach Louis van Gaal this week, the fact that Tuesday's game against Hull will be Vidic's last at Old Trafford seems to have passed most people by.

Vidic confirmed in March that he would leave United to join Inter Milan at the end of the season.

The Serb has been a fans' favourite at the club since he moved to England from Spartak Moscow for £7million on Christmas Day, 2005.

Vidic will take five Premier League winner's medals with him to Italy, as well as the one he gained for helping United lift the Champions League in 2008.

Although Vidic has not been the same player since rupturing cruciate ligaments during United's Champions League defeat to Basle in December 2011, he is still highly-regarded by fans, players and the coaching staff at Old Trafford.

"When you see a player like Nemanja Vidic is leaving this club you feel really sad," United left-back Patrice Evra said.

"I call him the rock. I am lucky to have played alongside him, for me he was a great centre-back."

Evra joined United in the same transfer window as Vidic.

Together the pair have shared many experiences both on the pitch and off it.

Evra who yet could join Vidic at Inter this summer, still regards the 32-year-old as one of the best centre-backs in the game.

But it has not all been plain sailing for the Serb, according to Evra.

"I remember our first game when we were in the reserves," the Frenchman said.

"It was so hard and we were so poor. (Reserve team coach) Rene (Meulensteen) was the manager and he substituted us both.

"We were talking together in the dressing room after and saying: 'Oh my god, why have we come to Manchester United?! We should go quickly back to our clubs!'. It was a difficult moment, but we stuck together.

"We've trained together and we've won the same trophies so losing Vida is painful."

The Hull game could be Evra's last at Old Trafford as well as he is yet to decide whether he will sign a contract extension.

It could also be Rio Ferdinand's final time on the Old Trafford turf as a Manchester United player.

Interim manager Ryan Giggs may be tempted to swap his suit for a red shirt given that he has not been assured he has a future at the club next year under Van Gaal - either as a coach or a player.

Van Gaal will meet the Eredivisie-based members of his Holland squad on Wednesday afternoon at a warm-up camp in Hoenderloo, about an hour's drive from Amsterdam.

That gives him sufficient time to fly over the North Sea and take in the United game on Tuesday, although there has not been any confirmation that will happen.

Giggs, meanwhile, confirmed star striker Wayne Rooney looks set to miss the Hull game because he is still struggling with the groin injury which kept him out of the loss to Sunderland.

The Welshman said: "Wayne is probably struggling for the game. He's not quite recovered. We'll continue to monitor him."

Rafael has overcome a thigh injury and could start his first game in a month, but Jonny Evans is out for the rest of the season with an unspecified injury Giggs added.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers focused on next BPL season

Brendan Rodgers believes the BPL title is beyond Liverpool after their loss to Crystal Palace, but is determined to put up another strong fight next season.

488322061.jpg

Tuesday 6th May 2014

Having eased into a 3-0 lead at Selhurst Park, Liverpool were caught trying to better their goal difference, inferior to that of title rivals Manchester City, and the hosts staged a miraculous comeback to earn a share of the spoils.

Joe Allen's header had given Liverpool a half-time lead and when prolific duo Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez grabbed a goal apiece, the points appeared to be heading to Anfield.

But, with just 12 minutes remaining, the Reds' defending once again proved their Achilles heel as Damien Delaney pulled one back before substitute Dwight Gayle tucked away two neat finishes.

The point still means Liverpool lead the way but the title remains in City's hands, just one point behind with a game in hand.

Rodgers, though, remained upbeat about a positive season for his side.

"We go top with 81 points with a week to go in the season, and we sit here devastated," he said after the game.

"We're ahead of schedule. We've made great strides.

"While I'm here, I'm here to fight to win titles. I'll be relentless in my quest for that. That's why I came.

"I've seen a lot this season that has given us great hope going forward. We're building something sustainable.

"We haven't thrown a bucket-load of money at it. We're trying to build. We keep working and we'll try and make more strides forward next season.

"When we reflect on it at the end of the season, we'll see it as an outstanding season."

With the title potentially decided on goal difference alone, Rodgers refuted suggestions his side had been sent out with orders to score as many as possible and rein in City's advantage in that area.

"We said at half-time the most important thing was to win the game," he added.

"We started well, then lost our shape a bit in the first half because of that: we thought we could play 'Roy of the Rovers' football and make the goal difference up.

"When we had the structure and discipline to our game, we scored goals and created chances.

"Our decision-making in that period of pressure has to be better. We ended up getting a point when we should have got three."

Crystal Palace boss Tony Pulis said: "I said the game would open up in the second half, and we'd have a chance.

"Then they get the two and, at 3-0, you're staring down the barrel. When we got the first goal, I thought we'd have a squeak.

"Then everything took off, it was amazing. When the second goal went in, it was just a matter of time until we got the third."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

City still wrangling with UEFA over FFP breach

Manchester City are still a long way off agreeing a settlement with UEFA over sanctions for breaking financial fair play rules, it can be disclosed.

185193852.jpg

Tuesday 6th May 2014

The club have until the end of the week to agree to the sanctions or face the case being handed to a panel for a non-negotiable decision.

City are one of nine European clubs, also including Paris St Germain who are being dealt with for rule breaches, and it is understood they are one of those furthest away from reaching an agreement.

The initial settlement offer made to City included financial restrictions on their Champions League squad for next season, and possibly a cut in the size of the squad, as well as a heavy fine.

Neither City nor UEFA would comment but it is understood the Manchester club have been negotiating forcefully for a significant reduction in that sanction but have been struggling to make progress.

The risk, however, is that if they are unable to agree a deal with UEFA then they could face even stiffer sanctions from UEFA's club financial control board's adjudicatory panel.

No club is expected to be excluded from the Champions League for breaching the spending limits, the maximum possible sanction.

Both Manchester City and Paris St Germain are believed to have fallen foul of the FFP rules with sponsorship deals related to each clubs' owners.

Abu Dhabi-owned City have a £40million a year deal with Etihad airways, while Qatar-owned PSG have a back-dated deal with the Qatar Tourist Authority which is worth up to 200 million euros (£165million) a year.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said last week UEFA needs to show it means business over FFP.

Wenger said: "There are rules to apply for the financial fair play. If you don't respect them, you have to apply the rules.

"One of the rules is that normally you should be banned for the excess of the financial amount that is not justified, that is if you are £100million overboard, you should be punished for £100million of your wages bill in the Champions League."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney to miss final home kick-off

Wayne Rooney will miss Manchester United's final home game of the season as he is still struggling to overcome a groin injury.

Wayne%20Rooney%20and%20Phil%20Jones%20of%20Manchester%20United%20applaud%20the%20fans%20.jpg.jpg

Tuesday 6th May 2014

Rooney sat out the 1-0 defeat to Sunderland last weekend due to a combination of the injury and a stomach bug.

Interim player-manager Ryan Giggs revealed on the eve of United's home game against Hull that the 28-year-old has still not recovered from the injury.

"Wayne is probably struggling for the game. He's not quite recovered. We'll continue to monitor him," Giggs told MUTV.

Sources close to Rooney insisted last week that the groin complaint would not affect the striker's chances of being fit for the World Cup.

But just a week ahead of his squad announcement, England manager Roy Hodgson will be anxious, no doubt, that his star striker is missing matches.

Rooney's absence for the Hull game means the door is open for Giggs to hand Robin van Persie his first start in seven weeks as he has now fully recovered from a knee injury.

Tuesday will be the final home match of Giggs' temporary reign, with Holland coach Louis van Gaal expected to be appointed as David Moyes' successor in the coming days.

Van Gaal has been urged to include Giggs and his coaches Phil Neville, Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes among his staff by former United skipper Bryan Robson.

"I think it would be very disappointing for those lads not to be kept on, in whatever role, as they are part of Manchester United," Robson said.

"The fans would be very disappointed if they don't have a future in the club.

"I have read that Van Gaal wants to bring in a goalkeeper coach, a fitness coach, and (Patrick) Kluivert as his assistant.

"If you are talking about bringing all these people in you have to make sure that you are making the right decision and you are not allowing them too much rope.

"It is up to the board to step in and say, 'You can have leeway with this, but there are definitely restrictions on this part of the club'.

"That has to come from the club rather than the new coach. Sometimes I think when you go into a new club, why not give the staff a chance?"

United have always maintained the fact that Van Gaal will not be able to take over fully until after the World Cup is not a problem.

Holland's World Cup preparations begin on Wednesday when the Eredivisie-based players in Van Gaal's squad meet for their first training camp in Hoenderloo, which is 50 miles to the south-east of Amsterdam.

The cameras will focus on the Holland manager, but he has chosen not to hold his press conference until May 13, when he will announce his provisional 30-man squad for the finals in Brazil.

The fact that the squad does not meet up until Wednesday afternoon leaves open the possibility of Van Gaal attending United's game versus Hull.

The shock defeat to Sunderland was United's seventh league loss on their own patch in what has been a dismal year.

Juan Mata feels the players owe the supporters a much better performance against Hull.

"I was unhappy with the result, but the good thing is that on Tuesday we play again in Old Trafford," United's club-record signing wrote on his blog.

"It's our last game at home this season and we want to have a decent farewell in front of our fans, with a good game and a victory.

"They have given us remarkable support throughout the last year and that shows the greatness of the club and the loyalty of our fans in the good and, in particular, the bad moments."

The Hull game will be a significant one for a number of reasons.

Nemanja Vidic will play his final game at Old Trafford. For Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra - both of whom are out of contract this summer - it could be their last home game too.

And it may well be the last time United fans get a glimpse of Giggs for a while as he has not been assured that he will figure in Van Gaal's plans - either as a player or coach.

The interim boss did not rule out naming himself in the matchday squad when quizzed on the matter at the weekend.

Giggs said: "Of course, the perfect scenario is me coming on and scoring a goal, the winning goal, and hopefully everyone will be happy but it doesn't always work like that. We'll have to wait and see what happens on the night."

Giggs added that defender Rafael could feature against Hull, but defender Jonny Evans is out for the rest of the season with an unspecified injury.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spurs sorry for social media fiasco

Tottenham have apologised and begun an investigation after their social media accounts were hacked and a video was posted poking fun at Liverpool's collapse.

79966203.jpg

Tuesday 6th May 2014

Shortly after Brendan Rodgers' side threw away a 3-0 lead to draw 3-3 with Crystal Palace, all but surrendering the title to Manchester City, a post mocking them appeared on Tottenham's official Twitter feed.

It read: "Brutal but very funny. The biggest capitulation since Newcastle in the 90s." That referred to the 1995-96 Premier League season, when Newcastle let a 12-point lead slip away and finished second to Manchester United.

The tweet was accompanied by a Vine video which segued from Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard leading an inspirational team huddle after victory over City to his slip to gift fellow title contenders Chelsea the opening goal in their recent 2-0 win at Anfield.

That was followed by footage of Dwight Gayle's equaliser for Palace, a close-up of the 3-3 scoreline from Sky's coverage and an unrelated clip of Palace boss Tony Pulis laughing in a BBC interview.

Spurs removed the offending post and subsequently tweeted: "We are currently looking into a security issue where our official Vine account has been compromised.

"We apologise to anyone offended by a recent tweet, which was immediately deleted. This post was not tweeted by anyone affiliated to THFC."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney still a doubt for Hull clash - Giggs

388323_heroa.jpg

By Peter Thompson
May 5, 2014 9:35:00 PM

The centre forward is dealing with illness as well as a hamstring injury and the interim manager says he is unlikely to feature in their last home game of the season

Wayne Rooney could miss Manchester United's final home game of the season against Hull City as he is suffering from illness and an injury.

The England striker sat out Saturday's 1-0 defeat against Sunderland as he has been hampered by a bug as well as a hamstring problem.

Interim manager Ryan Giggs revealed on the eve of Tuesday's Premier League clash with Steve Bruce's side that his leading scorer may have played his last game of the campaign at Old Trafford.

"Wayne is probably struggling for the game," the former Wales international told MUTV

"He's not quite recovered. We'll continue to monitor him."

Giggs, who is considering selecting himself to play against Hull, also revealed that Jonny Evans is not expected to feature in the final two games of the season due to a calf injury.

There is more positive news of fellow defender Rafael, who is set to be back in contention to face the FA Cup finalists and Southampton on the final day.

"Rafa has trained in the last few days and looks good," Giggs enthused. "He could be involved in the remaining two games."

United could still climb into sixth place - and Europa League qualification - if they win both games and Tottenham lose to Aston Villa on Sunday.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kluivert will not be part of Manchester United backroom team

359017_heroa.jpg

By By Wayne Veysey | UK Correspondent
May 6, 2014 4:54:00 PM

The former Netherlands striker is not expected to link up with Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford, paving the way for Ryan Giggs to have a senior coaching role under the new regime

Netherlands assistant coach Patrick Kluivert will not be part of Louis van Gaal's backroom team at Manchester United.

The former Oranje striker, who has been Van Gaal's assistant since August 2012, had reportedly been set to link up with the 62-year-old at United.

But Goal has learned that Kluivert will not be going to Old Trafford, which paves the way for Ryan Giggs to be offered the role of assistant manager to Van Gaal.

The Dutchman is expected to be named the next United manager this week after agreeing a deal to replace David Moyes 10 days ago during a meeting with a United delegation at his villa in the Algarve.

Giggs, who will take charge of United against Hull City on Tuesday night in the third of his four matches in interim charge, has spoken of how his own future remains unclear.

However, the obstacles to him being given a senior role on the coaching staff now appear to be less prominent than thought.

Danny Blind, Van Gaal's No.2 with the Netherlands, will also not be joining his fellow Dutchman at Old Trafford.

The delay in confirming Van Gaal's appointment is believed to have been partly due to extended negotiations over the make-up of the backroom team who will work under the former Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Ajax manager.

United senior officials are keen to keep Giggs and the 'Class of 92' on board, well aware of not only the need to plan for the future but also of their political importance to the club and its supporters.

Van Gaal, who turns 63 in August, represents a relatively short-term fix and a considerable departure from the long-term planning trumpeted by United in the wake of David Moyes's appointment 12 months ago.

Moyes's disastrous tenure came to an abrupt end when he was sacked a fortnight ago, and United chiefs swiftly put their faith in an experienced manager with a proven track record of success.

Van Gaal had three meetings with Tottenham but, as interest from Old Trafford grew, told the Spurs hierarchy that he was not interested in taking over at White Hart Lane.

He was also approached by Arsenal due to uncertainty over the future of Arsene Wenger, but has decided to take on the challenge of restoring United to pre-eminence.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aguero to miss Manchester City's clash with Aston Villa

399396_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
May 6, 2014 3:38:00 PM

The Argentina international was forced off after 28 minutes against Everton on Sunday due to a groin problem and is also a doubt for the final game of the season

Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed Sergio Aguero will miss Manchester City's fixture against Aston Villa on Wednesday having failed to recover from a groin injury.

The Argentina international netted the equaliser in City’s 3-2 win over Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday but was forced off after 28 minutes.

Aguero, whose campaign has already been disrupted by calf and hamstring issues, had initially played down the extent of his latest injury but the striker will play no part in City’s penultimate game of the season and is now a doubt for Sunday’s home fixture against West Ham.

"Injuries are just Sergio Aguero. He couldn’t recover 100 per cent from his groin problem, so he’s not in the squad list," Pellegrini said.

"Maybe [Aguero] can have a chance for Sunday. We’ll see how he improves during the week to see if he can play on Sunday."

After Liverpool’s 3-3 draw at Crystal Palace on Monday evening, City will move back to the top of the Premier League if they secure at least a draw against Villa.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vidic to receive Old Trafford farewell

366695_heroa.jpg

By Josh Wright
May 6, 2014 12:45:00 PM

The Serbian defender will make an emotional final home appearance against the Tigers on Tuesday evening and has "no regrets" over his decision to leave the club

Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic will take his final bow at Old Trafford when Ryan Giggs' side entertain Hull City in their last home game of the season on Tuesday evening.

Vidic, 32, has developed into one of the Premier League's greatest defenders since signing for United in 2006, but the Serbian will join Italian side Inter in the summer after opting against renewing his contract with the club.

The central defender has made almost 300 appearances during his eight-year Old Trafford stay, winning five Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

But despite the prospect of a fresh start under anticipated new manager Louis Van Gaal, who Goal revealed back in April has agreed to take over at Old Trafford, Vidic insists he has "no regrets" over his decision to leave.

"I have no regrets," he told Sky Sports. "I've given this club 100 per cent and my time at this club will always rank as the best part of my career.

"It has been a great eight years - or a great seven years because at the moment we are not doing so well.

"I never considered staying in England as the only club I ever wanted to play in this country is United and I have been lucky enough to be part of this club for so many years. I've got so many great memories. I never could have imagined winning 15 trophies, including five Premer League titles and the Champions League.

"I've played for the greatest manager [Sir Alex Ferguson] and I have learned a lot, not just on the pitch but off the pitch as well."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fulham's Magath apologises to fans for Stoke capitulation

LONDON Tue May 6, 2014 1:39pm BST

r

Fulham manager Felix Magath reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Stoke City at the Britannia stadium in Stoke, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - Fulham manager Felix Magath has apologised to fans after Saturday's lacklustre 4-1 defeat by Stoke City ended their 13-year stay in the Premier League, and says he will look to the club's youth team to help them return to the top flight.

The west Londoners needed three points for any realistic hope of avoiding relegation but never gave themselves a chance with a half-hearted performance at the Britannia Stadium that meant Sunday's match against Crystal Palace has nothing but pride riding on it.

"We as a team, and I include myself and management, would like to apologise for our bad performance on Saturday," the 60-year-old said on the club website (www.fulhamfc.com).

"It certainly was not what you as fans were expecting and should rightfully demand of us, but we were unable to perform on the day, resulting in our downfall.

"The support that you have given us has been exceptional and is much appreciated. I do realise that you have been through difficult times this season, but you have continued to be our ever-faithful 12th man and I cannot praise and thank you enough."

German Magath is the club's third manager this season after Martin Jol and Rene Meulensteen were both sacked.

He arrived with the reputation as a hard task-master and having never suffered relegation as a manager but was unable to inspire enough of an upturn in form, leading them to three wins in his 11 league matches in charge.

Magath was appointed on an 18-month contract by owner Shahid Khan, the American businessman who brought the club from Mohamed Al Fayed, and the former Bayern Munich manager said he was committed to ensuring a swift return to the top flight.

"The reality is that we have been relegated, but my commitment and desire to Fulham remains," Magath said.

"In the short space of time that I have spent here, I have been very impressed with so many aspects of our football club, and with this in mind my one priority is to give Premier League football back to you.

"During the summer months there most certainly will be many changes within the club. We obviously need to improve and redefine our playing staff. We have in our academy team, talented, young and hungry players.

"I have experienced on many occasions, through working and developing youth team players, that they have the possibility to become top professionals, I name for example Philipp Lahm from Bayern Munich. Bearing this in mind and making additions to our squad, I feel very optimistic for the future."

Fulham suffered a last-gasp 7-6 aggregate defeat to local rivals Chelsea in Monday's FA Youth Cup final.

(Reporting by Josh Reich, editing by Mitch Phillips)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wilson ushers in new United era with debut double

Wed May 7, 2014 1:12am BST

r

Manchester United's James Wilson (R) scores a second goal against Hull City during their Premier League match at Old Trafford in Manchester, northern England May 6, 2014. REUTERS-Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Manchester United's past and future collided as debutant James Wilson scored twice in a 3-1 win over Hull City on Tuesday that marked the end of stalwart Nemanja Vidic's Old Trafford career and set tongues wagging about Ryan Giggs.

Wilson, 18 years old and one of two debutants on show, scored in each half before Matty Fryatt pulled one back for Hull and Robin van Persie added a third for United in their final home game of a turbulent season.

Wilson stole the headlines, but an emotional finish to the night focussed on those at the other ends of their careers.

Club captain Vidic, who is leaving for Inter Milan in the close season, played his final home match, receiving a memento prior to kickoff from club great Bobby Charlton and a 'thank you' from Giggs who addressed the crowd in his role as interim manager at fulltime.

Giggs had swapped his club suit for a tracksuit and made a substitute appearance that many speculate could be his last.

With United set to appoint a new manager in the close season and Dutchman Louis van Gaal favourite to land the job, the future is uncertain for the 40-year-old Giggs after 963 club appearances and 25 major trophies.

"We know it has been tough this season and over they years we have been spoiled with all the success we have had," he said clutching a microphone on the Old Trafford pitch.

"But the support this year has been fantastic and I am sure over the coming years we will bring you more success.

"Keep supporting us, you have seen a glimpse of the future. We always give youth a chance and that's what this club is all about."

The address was in stark contrast to the celebratory tone of last season's message delivered by Alex Ferguson, who signed off his 27-year career with a 13th Premier League trophy and an appeal for United fans to stay loyal to his successor David Moyes.

Two weeks after Moyes's troubled 10-month spell in charge came to an end, United are seventh in table with 63 points, three behind sixth-place Tottenham Hotspur. Hull, who take on Arsenal in the FA Cup final on May 17, stay 15th.

DREAM IMPACT

Wilson was making his debut in senior football having impressed at youth level and made the sort of impact most young players can only dream of when he pounced on Marouane Fellaini's knock-down to rifle home on 31 minutes.

His predatory instincts were showcased again 16 minutes into the second half when he tucked in a rebound after a Fellaini shot was saved.

A stunning Fryatt effort from 25 yards to reduce the deficit and Van Persie's finish at the second attempt to re-establish United's two-goal lead completed the scoring on an occasion that had the feel of a testimonial.

Giggs was keeping his cards close to his chest at fulltime, but Vidic, after eight years marshalling United's back-four and five league titles to show for his efforts, was able to say a proper goodbye.

"It was hard in many ways, because it was my last game at Old Trafford, we did not have a great year as it was my first year not celebrating a trophy. It was a tough season," said Vidic, who started the match on the bench.

"This is maybe the best part of my life. I have three kids, won lots of trophies and have been loved by fans. The fans showed their class when we didn't do well this season.

"I was very emotional. I have to say my heart will always be at this club. I have spent so many years here and been part of such a good team and worked with so many great people."

One negative for United was the shoulder injury suffered by England's World Cup hopeful Phil Jones that brought about Vidic's early entrance to the fray.

The centre back was taken off after 22 minutes and then taken to hospital.

(Reporting by Toby Davis,; editing by Pritha Sarkar)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal were close to signing Hazard, reveals Wenger

354115_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
May 6, 2014 11:59:00 PM

The Frenchman says that he spent time with the Belgian winger's representatives at his home before the Gunners were blown out of the water by the Blues' offer two years ago

Arsene Wenger has revealed that Arsenal came close to signing Chelsea winger Eden Hazard two years ago.

The Belgian was the subject of a mass scramble for his signature in 2012 after deciding to leave Lille, as the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Arsenal all competed with the Blues for the 23-year-old.

Eventually Chelsea clinched the €40 million signing and the winger has gone on to become a key player for the west Londoners, winning the PFA Young Player of the Year award this season.

Wenger told BeIN Sports: "Yes, I wanted to take him. I had his agent at my home but again the barrier was financial and Chelsea made an effort that I couldn't make.

"He can be one of the players who grows into the [Lionel] Messi, [Cristiano] Ronaldo stature if he continues to develop well."

Wenger, who is expected to put pen to paper on a new contract at the Emirates Stadium, also considered his possibilities should he ever leave the Gunners.

"If I were to go somewhere then I think it would be in a different country because I am so much Arsenal that I would not like to coach anywhere else in England," he remarked.

"Germany [is an option] because I am of German culture a little bit and it's a country where I have never worked and I am very close to it."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini: Manchester City must learn from Liverpool collapse against Crystal Palace

370878_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
May 7, 2014 7:39:00 AM

After the Reds' Premier League title bid was hit by a three-goal comeback from the Eagles on Monday, the Chilean is keen for his squad to realise that they can never switch off

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini warns that his side must take Liverpool's 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace as a lesson about complacency.

The Reds were winning 3-0 at Selhurst Park before three goals in quick succession brought the Eagles back for a point and swung the Premier League title race in City's favour.

Pellegrini says that he did not watch Monday's match as he was researching Wednesday's opponents, Aston Villa, before his side's game in hand but wants his men to learn from the shock result.

"I didn't watch it. Why? Because I was watching Aston Villa – we have to play against them," he told the press.

"It's a good lesson for everyone. No-one knows what will happen in football – that's why it's the most popular sport. It depends on a lot of things, not just what you can do.

"Liverpool were winning 3-0 but the score changed. It's not just a lesson for this moment – football is always the same. We don't know what can happen in any game.

"Against Sunderland it was strange because they drew against us here at home but, when you look at what Sunderland did after that – winning at Chelsea and Manchester United – maybe it wasn't such a bad result.

"Maybe, with that point, we are able to win the title. We are going to have a difficult game and I hope the whole squad is ready.

"Against Sunderland we played three days after the defeat against Liverpool – at the moment I think the trust of the squad is different but we are not just thinking that, just because we are playing at home, we are going to win."

As City look to close out a second Premier League triumph in three years, Pellegrini is keen to maintain the attacking approach that sees his side close to breaking the division's record of 103 goals scored in a season.

"We have experienced players and they were in a similar situation two years ago," the Chilean observed.

"We have the pressure to win but we've had it the whole year. From the beginning of the season I always said that this team wants to win the title. Now we will try to do it.

"We are just thinking about winning these games. After you win, you can maybe think about the record of goals.

"But it's important to continue with the style of football that we've played since the beginning of the season. We want to finish in the same way."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tearful Giggs stays quiet on Man Utd future

401052_heroa.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
May 6, 2014 10:45:00 PM

The Welshman has taken charge of the Red Devils' last three fixtures and brought himself on as a substitute in their 3-1 win over Hull City but did not hint at retirement

Ryan Giggs promised that the good times would return to Manchester United following what is expected to be his final Old Trafford appearance but gave no indication of where his immediate future lies.

Delivering a speech to the home faithful in the aftermath of their 3-1 win over Hull City, the 40-year-old paid tribute to Nemanja Vidic, who will leave the club to join Inter at the end of this season, before looking ahead after a difficult campaign.

The Welshman said: "I'd just like to say a big thank you from all the players and staff for your support this year.

"A special thanks to Nemanja, who's leaving us this year. He goes with all our best wishes and success in the coming years.

"We know it's been tough this season and over the years we've been spoilt with the success we've had, but your support has never changed.

"I'm sure in the coming years we'll bring you more success.

"I'd like to say keep supporting us. You've seen a glimpse of the future tonight [in 18-year-old James Wilson's two goals] and that's what this club's about.

"We'll always give youth a chance and play attacking football. Keep supporting us and the good times will come back soon."

Giggs brought both himself and Vidic on as his side saw off Steve Bruce's Tigers, with youngster Wilson netting twice on his debut alongside fellow first-timer Tom Lawrence. Matty Fryatt then hit a fine reply for the visitors before Robin van Persie got in on the action late on.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wayne Bridge announces retirement

400957_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
May 6, 2014 8:00:00 PM

The 33-year-old former England international, who won the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup with Chelsea, has decided to hang up his boots due to a knee injury

Former Chelsea and Manchester City left-back Wayne Bridge has announced his retirement from football.

The 33-year-old had spent the past season with Reading, making 10 appearances in the Championship as the club missed out on a play-off place on the final day of the campaign.

Bridge started his career at Southampton, coming through the ranks before making his England debut in a friendly against the Netherlands in 2003.

A big-money move to Chelsea soon followed where he competed with Ashley Cole for a starting left-back berth.

During a five-and-a-half-year stay at Stamford Bridge the full-back won the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup before joining City in 2009.

Bridge enjoyed a successful first two years with City, but the arrivals of Aleksandar Kolarov and Gael Clichy saw the player deemed surplus to requirements and subsequently went on loan to West Ham and Sunderland.

Bridge impressed for Brighton last year before joining for Reading on a permanent deal last summer following his release by City.

Overall, Bridge made 36 appearances, scoring once, for England - his last coming in 2009 - and over 300 in the Premier League.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Magath: My priority is to return Fulham to the Premier League

399314_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
May 6, 2014 5:49:00 PM

The German penned an 18-month contract when he replaced Rene Meulensteen in February, and told supporters in an open letter that he is intent on fulfilling the deal

Fulham manager Felix Magath has reiterated his commitment to the club after their relegation from the Premier League last weekend.

Magath's men saw their 13-year stay in the top flight brought to an end on Saturday with a 4-1 defeat at Stoke City after the German was only able to mastermind three wins during his time in charge.

The 60-year-old signed an 18-month contract with the London club and is determined to honour that deal despite Fulham's fall into the Championship.

"We as a team, and I include myself and management, would like to apologise for our bad performance on Saturday," Magath said in an open letter to fans released on the club's official website.

"It certainly was not what you as fans were expecting and should rightfully demand of us, but we were unable to perform on the day, resulting in our downfall.

"I was appointed by [Fulham owner] Mr Khan in February, and willingly signed a contract for 18 months, realising that there was a distinct possibility that we would not survive in the Premier League.

"Contrary to many opinions, I was not only brought in until the end of the season, with the primary target of keeping Fulham in the Premier League, but to build a team that can compete in the top flight.

"The reality is that we have been relegated, but my commitment and desire to Fulham remains.

"In the short space of time that I have spent here, I have been very impressed with so many aspects of our football club, and with this in mind, my one priority is to give Premier League football back to you.

"During the summer months, there most certainly will be many changes within the club, we obviously need to improve and redefine our playing staff. We have in our academy team, talented, young and hungry players.

"On Sunday we play our final game of this season against Crystal Palace, and we owe it to you to put on a good performance that is worthy of your fantastic support.

"I am looking forward to the task ahead and to a successful future for all of us."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger: Germany move an option if I leave Arsenal

400371_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
May 7, 2014 8:44:00 AM

The Frenchman is adamant his affection for the Gunners would prevent him ever working elsewhere in England, but refuses to rule out taking a job in the Bundesliga

Arsene Wenger insists he will never manage another English club but says he would consider taking a job in Germany if he were to leave Arsenal.

Wenger is out of contract at the Emirates Stadium this summer and has yet to sign a new deal, despite a two-year extension being agreed in principle back in October.

The Frenchman is prepared to quit the Gunners at the end of this season if the club fails to meet his targets of a top-four finish and victory in the FA Cup.

The former is already secure, while Arsenal will take on Hull City at Wembley on May 17 as they bid to prevent the club's well-documented trophy drought extending to nine years.

And while Wenger is adamant his attachment to the Gunners would prevent him working for another English club, he has not ruled out the possibility of working in the Bundesliga.

The 64-year-old was born and raised in the French-German border region of Alsace, and often went to watch football matches in Germany during his childhood.

"If I were to go somewhere then I think it would be in a different country because I am so much Arsenal that I would not like to coach anywhere else in England," Wenger told BeIN Sports.

"Germany [is an option] because I am of German culture a little bit and it's a country where I have never worked and I am very close to it."

Meanwhile Per Mertesacker, one of Wenger's German stars, warns Arsenal cannot afford to take Hull City lightly when they take the field for the FA Cup final at Wembley later this month.

"I think everyone is really up for the cup final and everyone really wants to win it," he told the club's official website. "That is the target and we've got one game to go and we want to take it very seriously.

"When you switch off, it's hard to switch on again so we want to keep the focus and intensity high in training. But as you know everyone is looking forward to the last game and even more to the FA Cup final."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United to announce Van Gaal appointment next week

395249_heroa.jpg

May 7, 2014 11:51:00 AM

The Dutchman agreed to succeed David Moyes as permanent boss at Old Trafford last month and will assume control after this summer's World Cup in Brazil

Manchester United will announce the appointment of Louis van Gaal as the club's new manager next week.

The Dutchman agreed to succeed David Moyes as permanent boss at Old Trafford last month and will assume control when his job as Netherlands coach ends after this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

But United have opted to wait until after the club's last Premier League fixture - away to Southampton on Sunday - before making the appointment official.

The Red Devils have endured a torrid season which saw Sir Alex Ferguson's successor David Moyes sacked after just 10 months in charge and Ryan Giggs handed the reins for the final four matches of the campaign.

Giggs remains unsure of his long-term role at the club beyond the summer, with the precise make-up of Van Gaal's backroom team at Old Trafford still to be revealed.

The 40-year-old brought himself on for the final 20 minutes of United's 3-1 home win over Hull City on Tuesday evening, in which 18-year-old debutant James Wilson scored twice.

Last month Ferguson told a fundraising dinner in Manchester that Giggs is the right man to lead the club in the wake of Moyes' departure, but club owners the Glazers have gone with the more experienced choice of Van Gaal.

The decorated Dutchman has won league titles in three different countries and a Champions League trophy, and regards United as the perfect final chapter in a glittering managerial career.