• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Solskjaer keen to plot Cardiff's Premier League return

Sun May 4, 2014 8:33am BST

r

Cardiff City's manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks on during their English Premier League soccer match at Cardiff City Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, April 19, 2014. REUTERS/Rebecca Naden

(Reuters) - Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said he "definitely" wants to stay on at the relegated Welsh club to plot an immediate return to the Premier League next season.

Cardiff, who were only promoted last season, were resigned to a return back to the second-tier Championship after they lost 3-0 at Newcastle United on Saturday, a defeat that confirmed their spot in the bottom three of the 20-team league.

"I am the manager of Cardiff City football club and I am not going to lay down and feel sorry for myself," Norwegian Solskjaer, who replaced Malky Mackay as manager in January, told Sky Sports.

"We will go into the next game showing professional pride and put a good effort in, a good performance and then we will plan for next season.

Cardiff will play their final league match at home against Chelsea next Sunday and Solskjaer admitted it will be difficult to motivate the players for that match.

"My players are obviously very disappointed," Solskjaer said. "With the effort they put in against Newcastle, they did not deserve to lose. They are a fantastic bunch who have given everything for the cause, but it was not enough.

"It will not be easy to lift them for the final day. We wanted something to play for in the last game apart from our professional pride to give our supporters a good send off for the summer.

"But this is not the time to reflect on the season. We want to go and do ourselves proud against Chelsea next week."

A win against struggling Newcastle would have been Cardiff's only realistic chance of avoiding the drop but they failed to convert the numerous chances they created and two late home goals sealed their fate.

"It's never nice to be relegated but you just got to show you can bounce back up," the manager added.

"Before this season we have been four seasons at the top of the Championship so it's a club that's very used to challenging at the top, challenging for promotion. So now we've got to use that experience to our advantage.

"Then we have got to use this season as a learning experience of course."

(Writing by Sudipto Ganguly; Editing by John O'Brien)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poyet: Miracles can happen

Sunderland "miraculous" great escape is almost complete after they clinched their first win at Manchester United for almost half a century.

Sunderland%20manager%20Gustavo%20Poyet.jpg

Sunday 4th May 2014

Sebastian Larsson converted Connor Wickham's cross on the half-hour to seal a 1-0 victory at Old Trafford which puts the Black Cats within touching distance of safety.

If Norwich lose at Chelsea on Sunday, Sunderland need only one point from home matches against West Brom or Swansea to send the Canaries down and ensure their own top-flight survival.

Even if Sunderland lose their final two games, there needs to be a huge swing of goals in Norwich's favour to keep the Norfolk club up should they fail to pick anything up at Stamford Bridge.

Less than three weeks ago, Sunderland were seven points from safety with games to come against Chelsea, United and Manchester City.

So there is little wonder that Gus Poyet believes a little divine intervention has helped his team take 10 points from a possible 12.

"This is close to a miracle," the Sunderland manager said.

"A miracle was the word I used a few weeks ago and apparently every now and again it happens.

"We thought we would have to win four matches after losing to Everton (on April 12).

"We won three and if we win one (more) we are over the line. Chelsea could help us tomorrow. I don't know if I will be able to watch.

"What we have done in the last four games is unique.

"It is special, incredible...

"We were getting no breaks. Normally that sends you down, and then you need something very special."

After victories over Chelsea and Cardiff, as well as a point that could have so easily been a win at Manchester City, Sunderland now have the scalp of United in the bag.

This win was no fluke. After beating Norwich on a nostalgic afternoon last weekend, the stage was set for Ryan Giggs to coast to his second successive win as interim boss.

But Sunderland are made of far sterner stuff than the Canaries.

The Black Cats dominated United's midfield, they kept the hosts' club-record signing Juan Mata quiet, and they showed their clinical side when Larsson swept home Wickham's cross following some shoddy marking by Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher.

Had Emanuele Giaccherini and Fabio Borini found the net instead of the woodwork, the boos that rang out from the home fans at the final whistle would have been even louder.

Poyet has led Sunderland to almost certain safety and a League Cup final since he took over from Paolo Di Canio in October 2013, but he insists the players should take the credit for dragging the team out of the relegation zone.

"We have done it because of the players," the former Brighton manager said.

"They came together, they believed, and they defended for their lives.

"We have 10 players out of contract (in the summer).

"It would have been easy for them to give up and think about next year, the next challenge, the next club.

"But they are here, they are fighting for the club and the fans. They don't want to go down. They are not going to accept it. That makes me feel very proud."

Giggs would be forgiven for having no pride in his players after this defeat.

United lacked tempo, their passing was poor and they could not find a way through a defence that has shipped 57 goals this season.

The feel-good bubble that surrounded Old Trafford following the interim appointment of Giggs and his fellow Class of '92 graduates has now burst.

"I feel flat, the players were a bit flat, and I don't know why," the Welshman said.

"We controlled possession but we just lacked that quality in the final third, and concentration."

United have now lost seven times at Old Trafford this year. Stoke, West Brom and Norwich have better home records.

For a man who is used to winning game after game at Old Trafford, Giggs admits such a poor record is hard to take.

"We have shown good form away from home but at Old Trafford seems to have been a problem," the 40-year-old said.

"In past seasons there would be waves and waves of shots and saves and you could always sense a goal was coming but this season it doesn't seem to have happened."

Giggs, who is out of contract in the summer, has yet to decide whether he will play in Tuesday's match against Hull.

With Louis van Gaal set to be appointed as David Moyes' successor, there is no guarantee that Giggs will be around next year.

Wayne Rooney may take to the field on Tuesday after he was left out against Sunderland due to a groin problem, though.

"We will keep monitoring him and see how he is for Tuesday," Giggs said.

"Hopefully he will be back."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger refuses to change Gunners style

Manager Arsene Wenger maintains he will continue to be faithful to Arsenal's style of play rather than adjusting tactics as a means to an end.

Arsenal%20manager%20Arsene%20Wenger%20reacts%20on%20the%20touchline.jpg.jpg

Sunday 4th May 2014

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has seen the set-up of his team come in for scrutiny this season, with the methods deployed to produce impressive wins at Barclays Premier League title rivals Manchester City and then last weekend Liverpool hardly catching on the eye, if effective come full-time.

Wenger, though, has never been one to "park the bus" and is not about to start.

"The system of the team is to adapt to the quality of the players because we have so many offensive players. We just play to our strengths and it doesn't always work unfortunately," said Wenger, whose side cemented their place in the top four ahead of Sunday's clash with West Brom after Everton suffered a 3-2 defeat to Manchester City on Saturday.

"You have to go for a style and sometimes punctually you can change your style.

"The regret is that defensively we have not been strong enough in these games (against the top three)."

Wenger continued: "A style is a long-term plan.

"On the short term you can always change of course because it is all dictated by the confidence of the team and the confidence of the team is dictated by the results.

"You cannot swim against the stream, and sometimes the team needs to be reassured by being a bit less ambitious, a bit less offensive then you have to go for it because it is part of a reassurance process."

It has been suggested that with one eye on the FA Cup final, Arsenal could rest several key men with fourth place already secure ahead of the final Premier League match at Norwich, who are fighting relegation.

Wenger, though, insisted that is not on the agenda.

"Our target is to make maximum points until the rest of the season. I will absolutely try to achieve that," he said.

"As well as Arsenal Football Club we have a responsibility to be fair - even if it goes well on Sunday."

Wenger will be on the market for some offensive cover in the summer to provide back-up for Olivier Giroud, the France international having to lead the Arsenal attack single handed for most of the season.

"To bring one more offensive player in, yes, who can play in different offensive positions," he said.

"We have to see, because what you want is not to buy just to buy.

"It is one who can play with Giroud as well because (Mesut) Ozil was out, (Lukas) Podolski was out.

"But at the moment I cannot answer that question because I don't really know who will be on the market."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger would be fired in Spain, says Mel

West Brom's Spanish boss Pepe Mel believes Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger would have been sacked had he experienced a similar trophy drought in La Liga.

451562775.jpg

Sunday 4th May 2014

Wenger's barren spell with the Gunners stretches back nine years, yet the north London club have kept faith with their French manager.

Mel has the utmost respect for his opposite number ahead of their Barclays Premier League clash at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday, but the former Real Betis boss admits such a poor recent record would not be acceptable at a top Spanish side.

"I don't think Arsene would have survived in Spain," he said. "Carlo Ancelotti at Real Madrid is a good example. Three months ago he was under real pressure and now they are in the Champions League final.

"In Spain, England and Germany it is always the same, the head coach lives for the results.

"But I'm not surprised Arsene is still in a job as I agree with Arsenal. He has a good philosophy."

Mel believes his side need one more point to effectively secure their top flight safety.

The Spaniard endured a difficult start to life at The Hawthorns after replacing Steve Clarke in January, with victories hard to come by and off-field problems - such as the sale of Shane Long to Hull and the Nicolas Anelka 'Quenelle' saga - exacerbating the situation.

However, victory against West Ham put them on the verge of survival and Mel admits his job is more enjoyable at the moment.

"I enjoy my job and being at West Brom, and the fans," he said. "But January and February were very, very difficult for me, with Long leaving and the Anelka situation and more.

"The most important thing is at the end, though.

"If West Brom stay in the Premier League it is good work. But I want more than safety.

"I'm ambitious and want more. It's not enough. The next season in 17th is not enough. I want more. We want next season to be even better."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho expects strong reaction after UCL exit

Jose Mourinho expects a reaction from Chelsea's Champions League elimination on Sunday against a Norwich side fighting for their Premier League status.

Mourinho.jpg

Sunday 4th May 2014

The Blues boss is determined his side respond from successive home defeats to Sunderland and Atletico Madrid in the final Stamford Bridge game of the season as the Canaries seek to end their dismal campaign on a high by avoiding the drop.

"The day I'm happy a couple of days after a defeat is because there is something wrong with me, and there is nothing wrong with me," Mourinho said.

"I'm not happy two days after a defeat. I consider myself a strong personality. I consider myself somebody with a great capacity to react to the negative moments and the negative feeling and in this moment I only think about the next match, the next couple of matches and the next season."

Norwich are "playing the game of their lives", Mourinho says.

"I expect they are going to play a final," he added.

"They have two games to decide where they are next season. Are they in the Championship? Are they in the Premier League?

"Are they playing against Chelsea, against Arsenal, against Manchester United?

"Are they playing at Anfield? Are they playing at the Emirates? Are they playing midweek matches in the Championship?

"It's going to be very, very, very difficult."

Chelsea, who must hope Manchester City and Liverpool have late collapses to have any hope of the title, need one point from the Norwich encounter and trip to Cardiff on the final day to confirm third place.

Mourinho also insists Chelsea have a "responsibility" to the other sides battling relegation to perform.

He added: "I have to motivate my players with the responsibility of finishing in the top three, which is very important for us to give us a better pre-season. If you play a play-off your pre-season is completely different; it changes a lot.

"I have to motivate my players with the fact that the fans deserve us to win at home.

"I also want to motivate them with the fact we must feel responsibility to be fair and to be correct with every other team that is also playing for relegation.

"I don't think Cardiff, Fulham, Sunderland, the teams that are also there, I can imagine they are not waiting for Chelsea to have a bad performance and to lose the game against Norwich.

"For many, many factors we must play a very serious game but respect professionals that are playing for their future."

Mourinho plans just a short summer hiatus before resuming preparations for the 2014/15 campaign in earnest.

He added: "In a few weeks the players are going to the national team, the ones that are not going to the national team will start enjoying their period of holidays.

"I will start working again hard in everything related to my team and to my work, pre-season preparation and opinions about players and lots of things related to my work.

"I was thinking about just a couple of weeks of holidays because I don't need more.

"But I cannot have even two weeks because my son and my daughter are occupied with academic life.

"So I'm going to stay in London till July 1 and be back on the eighth to start training.

"That's what I'm going to do after the season: work, think, think of the next season."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pulis: Reds lucky with investment, games

Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis insists he is not surprised by Liverpool's title challenge given the amount of money spent and the number of games they had to play.

Steven%20Gerrard%20of%20Liverpool%20celebrates%20scoring%20the%20second%20goal%20with%20his%20team-mates.jpg.jpg

Sunday 4th May 2014

Palace have achieved their objective of Barclays Premier League survival already but can derail Liverpool's title bid by avoiding defeat at Selhurst Park on Monday.

Brendan Rodgers' side are currently top of the table, three points ahead of Manchester City, who have a superior goal difference and have played a game less.

Liverpool's primary aim at the start of the season was to qualify for the Champions League but Pulis says the Reds' impressive title bid has come as no surprise.

"It's not a surprise - not with [Daniel] Sturridge and [Luis] Suarez and the quality they have there," Pulis said.

"There's been a lot investment in Liverpool, I think people forget that.

"Kenny Dalglish spent good money bringing in the likes of Suarez and Jordan Henderson who have obviously really blossomed.

"And then Brendan has come in and spent decent money as well.

"The biggest bonus for Liverpool is not having any cup competitions or Europe to worry about so they can focus on the league week to week, that helps as well."

The Reds recorded 11 consecutive league victories from February to April before a 2-0 defeat at home to Chelsea last Sunday.

Suarez and Sturridge have spearheaded Liverpool's title bid with 53 goals between them but Pulis believes Steven Gerrard has been at the heart of the club's success.

"Gerrard has been absolutely outstanding," Pulis said.

"He's led by example, he's been a wonderful, wonderful player for England and for Liverpool.

"And the forward line is exceptional, you only have to look at the two centre forwards and the number of goals they've scored between them to know they'll be a threat."

Pulis added: "The two of them have formed a great partnership so it will be tough on Monday but it will great for the supporters to see top, top players like that as well."

Before taking over at Palace in November, Pulis spent seven years at Stoke where his teams were renowned for their commitment and defensive resilience.

Pulis was quick to praise Rodgers for the job he has done at Anfield but says he has been particularly impressed with the way the former Swansea boss has imposed his own identity on the club.

"He's done a smashing job, a wonderful job," Pulis said.

"He's put his identity on the football club which I always enjoy - I always like it when a manager goes in somewhere and you can see their identity.

"Brendan served his apprenticeship at the lower levels which is nice to see and he's a British manager as well which is a bonus."

Palace's surge up the Premier League table since Pulis took over has been based on teamwork and a mean defence that has kept 12 clean sheets under his stewardship.

Rodgers made reference to the Eagles' tactics at Anfield last weekend, suggesting Chelsea's defensive display would be ideal preparation for Palace's "long balls forward" and "long throw-ins".

Pulis believes his team's attacking threat has been undervalued and insists he will be making no changes to his side's style of play for the match on Monday.

"We'll the play the way we play and do what we've always done - it's been very successful with the group we've got," he said.

"We're very, very pleased the way the players have been playing over the past three or four months and I don't see any reason to change it."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerrard to get new Anfield deal until 2016 - Rodgers

Sat May 3, 2014 8:36am BST

r

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard (R) is greeted by manager Brendan Rodgers as he leaves the pitch following their English Premier League soccer match against Chelsea at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England April 27, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Liverpool will offer captain Steven Gerrard a new contract at the end of the season to keep him at Anfield until at least 2016, according to manager Brendan Rodgers.

The 33-year-old midfielder, whose current contract expires at the end of next season, has played a major role in the club's drive towards a first English League title since 1990.

"Steven will be one we look to get a contract to in the summer," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo.

"With a year to go, it's something we will address. I believe Steven will play beyond 2015. He is a player who has really shown his qualities this season.

"Come the summer, he will still only be 34. Looking towards the future, I still think he's going to be a key part of our squad."

Liverpool has been Gerrard's only professional club and for most of his 16-season career, he has been its best player with his ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck with a surging run into the box or a thunderbolt strike from range.

This season, however, Rodgers has used him in a deeper role, allowing him to mastermind play from in front of the defence and help unleash Liverpool's pacey and potent strikeforce.

"He has dropped into a new position and played it seamlessly. His intelligence in the game is second to none. He is improving all the time," Rodgers added.

"It's one where he has been brilliant for me as a captain and as a player this season and I would like that to continue.

COSTLY ERROR

"Most clubs, especially bigger clubs, recognise now that once a player gets over a certain age you have to look at a contract's duration.

"But for me Steven still has so much to offer and I really want him beside me here working on the field."

Rodgers said everyone at the club had felt empathy for Gerrard after his slip in the crunch match against Chelsea last weekend helped the Londoners to a 2-0 win that blew open the title race.

Liverpool will be looking to keep their title hopes alive in their penultimate match of the season against Crystal Palace on Monday and Rodgers expects Gerrard to put last week's costly error behind him.

"There is no blame attached to him because he has been instrumental in where we are to this day and he will continue to be in the coming years," Rodgers said.

"Steven has been brilliant on the training field this week. He has narrowed his focus like the team has and now we're looking forward to playing Crystal Palace."

Liverpool (80) lead Chelsea (78) in the standings by two points with two matches remaining and Manchester City (77) lie a further point adrift but have a game in hand as well as a superior goal difference to both sides above them.

(Reporting by Nick Mulvenney; Editing by John O'Brien)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea challenge all but over, Norwich need 'miracle'

By Mike Collett
LONDON Sun May 4, 2014 11:33pm BST

r

Chelsea's Eden Hazard (top) is challenged by Norwich City's Ryan Bennett during their English Premier League soccer match at the Stamford Bridge in London May 4, 2014. REUTERS-Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - Chelsea's slim hopes of winning the Premier League all but evaporated in the Stamford Bridge sunshine on Sunday as Norwich City ground out a 0-0 draw that left them hanging on to top- flight status by their fingernails.

Jose Mourinho's side needed a win to keep Manchester City and Liverpool on their toes but were frustrated by a wall of yellow and missed the chance to return to the top of the table.

With one game left Chelsea's only chance of winning the title is to beat relegated Cardiff City and hope that neither City or Liverpool take more than one point from their remaining two fixtures.

Manchester City lead the standings on goal difference from Liverpool with both on 80 points from 36 matches. Chelsea have 79 points from 37.

Defeat would have relegated Norwich along with Cardiff and Fulham but a draw means they now must beat Arsenal on the final day of the season and hope Sunderland lose their remaining two fixtures, both of which are at home.

Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho was desperate to avoid a third successive home defeat after his 77-match unbeaten league record at Stamford Bridge ended with defeat by Sunderland last month and Atletico Madrid won 3-1 to knock them out of the Champions League.

He said he was surprised by Norwich's defensive tactics, however, believing they would attack more as they had to win to have retain a realistic chance of avoiding the drop.

"We were waiting for a kind of crazy game, especially in the second half when we thought they would gamble everything for the chance to survive but they defended much more," Mourinho, whose side beat Liverpool last weekend, told Sky Sports.

"That is not my problem. All I have to say is that in the first half we were not good enough."

Chelsea's only consolation was that they are now guaranteed to finish third and will not have to play a Champions League qualifier at the start of next season.

Norwich, who had lost their last eight successive away league matches, now "need a miracle" to survive, according to their defender Michael Turner.

"Of course, it's a good point but we needed three ideally," Turner said. "We need Sunderland to lose in midweek and at the weekend and then we need to win. We'll work hard and fingers crossed. We need a miracle now."

They have 33 points, two behind Sunderland (35) who are one place above the relegation zone after Saturday's 1-0 victory at Manchester United.

GOAL DIFFERENCE

Sunderland also have a much better goal difference than Norwich and face matches against West Bromwich Albion and Swansea City, both of whom have nothing much to play for.

Earlier, Arsenal strolled to a 1-0 win over West Brom whose place in the Premier League next season is now certain following Norwich's failure to win.

Albion can only go down now if they lose to Stoke next week and Norwich beat Arsenal by more than 20 goals.

Chelsea had the better chances to win a tense match, hitting the woodwork twice through Andre Schuerrle and substitute David Luiz and both teams had strong penalty appeals.

Norwich attacker Martin Olsson was felled by John Terry in the first half while Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard, who annoyed Mourinho with his "lack of commitment" against Atletico, and came on at halftime, was brought down in the second half but neither resulted in a spot-kick.

"I felt we had a stone-wall penalty in the first half and if we'd had got that we would have had two more points," Norwich manager Neil Adams said.

"I was tempted to put two strikers on but what you don't want to do is give the ball away because if we'd lost we would have been relegated."

Olivier Giroud's first-half header gave Arsenal victory over West Brom in a tame end-of-season match at the Emirates.

Arsenal, who have 76 points, will now finish fourth, ensuring them of a 17th successive tilt at the Champions League next season.

Norwich's failure to win at Chelsea meant that while West Brom are effectively safe, Aston Villa and Hull City cannot be relegated.

(Editing by Martyn Herman)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Evra condemns "nightmare" season

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra has delivered a damning assessment of the "nightmare" season which he cannot wait to forget.

FOXBPL_281013evra.jpg

Monday 5th May 2014

The feelgood factor that surrounded the club following the interim appointment of Ryan Giggs disappeared on Saturday when Sunderland inflicted a seventh home defeat of the season on United.

The faces in the dugout may have changed, but the same problems persist for United on the field. The hosts were wasteful in possession, their build-up play was slow, and they lacked a clinical touch up front.

Evra could not hide his frustrations after the defeat, which kept United in seventh place in the Barclays Premier League.

"This year has been a disaster," the United left-back said.

"This year we have been really poor. We deserve all the criticism. We have not played well enough. We have lost some stupid games.

"When we are on the pitch we try to win every game but it's been so painful this season, it's been a nightmare.

"When I look at the table I just feel a big frustration.

"This year is a season I want to forget really quickly."

A lot of the United players have shied away from publicly stating why they think the team has performed so badly this term.

Former manager David Moyes too was often at a loss to explain his side's failings in press conferences.

But Evra was not so reticent. The Frenchman said he believes the confidence within the United squad plummeted as soon as Moyes took over following the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I think there has been a lack of confidence," the 32-year-old said.

"Sir Alex Ferguson was the heart of Manchester United. He is a legend. You cannot replace him so quickly.

"We knew it would be difficult but not this difficult. We can do much better than we have done - maybe not win the league but at least qualify for the Champions League with the players we have."

Evra concedes the playing staff, whom Moyes did not mention in the thank you statement that followed his dismissal, are culpable for the dismal season too.

"Every player has to take responsibility," the defender said.

"You always feel responsible even when David Moyes was in charge. I will not point the finger at anyone else.

"This year everyone failed."

At the start of the year not even the most pessimistic fan could have predicted that United would go into their final home game of the season 20 points off the top of the table.

Evra is sure the club will bounce back next term, when Louis van Gaal is expected to be at the helm.

"I really think (this year) is an accident," said Evra, who has won the Premier League five times during his eight-and-a-half-year spell at Old Trafford.

"I know Manchester United will never die. And also Manchester will come back next year.

"When we lost the league on goal difference to Manchester City (in 2012) I said Manchester United will win the league by 13 points, and we nearly did. In the end we won it by 11 points.

"That is my mentality - never give up."

Whether Evra gives up his place in the United squad will be decided following Sunday's final game of the season at Southampton.

Evra is out of contract this summer and it has been suggested that he wants to move to France or Italy, where Inter Milan are keen on his signature.

"I will decide in two weeks about what I am going to do," said Evra, who joined United from Monaco in January 2006.

"There have been a lot of rumours, but I have not decided anything yet.

"My agent will have a meeting with Manchester and we will see."

When pressed on the matter, Evra responded with a cryptic answer: "Look, everyone knows how much I love this club," he said.

"It's difficult...

"The reason is an important reason. And you will see. I will tell if I am staying or leaving this club at the end of the season."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Safety secured, Villa owner to reveal future plans

Mon May 5, 2014 3:51am BST

r

Aston Villa's owner Randy Lerner (C) gestures to photographers during a news conference for new signing John Carew and Ashley Young at Villa Park in Birmingham, central England, January 25, 2007. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner will release a statement on his future after the club's final game of the season next week amid increasing speculation both he and manager Paul Lambert will depart after another narrow escape from relegation.

A 3-1 home win over FA Cup finalists Hull City on Saturday ensured the former European Champions will remain in the English Premier League for another year after a second difficult season under Lambert, who has worked under a much smaller budget than his predecessors.

The ever shrinking investment from Lerner, who bought a 60 percent stake in the club at the start of the 2006/07 season, has led to the speculation the American will sell up after the final league matches at Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur this week.

New owners often mean new managers but former Borussia Dortmund midfielder Lambert was hopeful he could be allowed a third season at the helm.

"I hope so, that is what I want to do," Lambert was quoted as saying by British media on Monday.

"But you'll know when the chairman says what he is going to do. You would love to do it, it is a fantastic club, albeit the last couple of years has been tough.

"I think the chairman has said himself I have had to work within the parameters he has set between me and him. You either take the challenge on or bottle it."

Having recorded a 1-0 win over title chasing Chelsea in March, Villa plummeted down the table with only one point from six matches to join the relegation battle.

With tough fixtures at City and Spurs to finish, Saturday's clash at home to Hull came with huge pressure but Ashley Westwood put them ahead inside a minute and Andreas Weimann scored twice to claim a priceless three points.

The win moved them up to 14th on 38 points, five clear of 18th-placed Norwich City who only have one match left at home to Arsenal, and Lambert did not hide his sense of relief.

"That's an understatement," the Scot said. "I have been involved in massive games but that is too close for comfort."

After Villa held Southampton to a 0-0 draw at home last month, Lerner released a statement urging fans to get behind the team and gave praise to Lambert.

The 52-year-old, who used to own the NFL's Cleveland Browns franchise, also acknowledged the rumours of his departure but failed to quash them and said all would be revealed at the end of the season.

With matters on the field finalised and another season in the lucrative league assured, attentions switch back to the American with Lambert left pondering a possible exit.

"I respect the chairman's statement and what he is going to say," he said. "It will bring clarity and it will not be a problem, whatever way he wants to play it himself.

"I will respect his decision, no problem with that whatsoever. Randy is a really top guy and I've said before, it is his club."

(Writing by Patrick Johnston, editing by Nick Mulvenney)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mel future uncertain as West Brom look to rebuild

By Sam Holden
LONDON Sun May 4, 2014 9:07pm BST

r

West Bromwich Albion's manager Pepe Mel gestures during their English Premier League soccer match against Tottenham Hotspur at the Hawthorns in West Bromwich, central England , April 12, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - West Bromwich Albion manager Pepe Mel says the club will have to build a new team next season, but the Spanish coach is unsure whether he will be there to oversee the transition.

Following his relegation-threatened side’s 1-0 Premier League defeat at fourth-placed Arsenal on Sunday, Mel indicated that his managerial role at the Hawthorns remains in the balance, with talks about his job to be held after their final game next weekend.

The 51-year-old former Real Betis coach only took charge of West Brom in January, but warned just days after signing an 18-month contract that he could leave the club at the end of the season if he was not allowed to bring in his own backroom staff.

"There are 13 players who are going to be out of contract (at the end of the season) so it’s pretty much like building a new team and West Brom have a lot to do," Mel told reporters.

"After the Stoke City game (next Sunday) we have a meeting and then we’ll decide whether or not I’m going to be at West Brom next season.

"The really important thing is that the club know what I feel and what I believe. I have a meeting with the chairman and I’ll express what I want in order for me to continue."

West Brom sacked manager Steve Clarke in December with the team 14th in the table after winning only once in 10 games but they have continued to struggle since Mel’s appointment.

It took until last Saturday for Mel to win his first home game, a 1-0 victory over fellow strugglers West Ham.

West Brom, 16th in the table on 36 points, effectively guaranteed their Premier League safety when 18th-placed Norwich City, in the final relegation spot and three points adrift, drew 0-0 at Chelsea on Sunday.

West Brom travel to 17th-place Sunderland on Wednesday before hosting Stoke City next Sunday in their final game of the season. Norwich have only one game remaining and a significantly inferior goal difference.

"Right now we still need one more point to ensure that we’re safe (from relegation)," Mel said.

"After we’ve seen what Sunderland have done in the last month absolutely anything is possible.

"What I really want to do is keep West Brom in the Premier League and I can tell you now that I would be extremely happy to be at West Brom next season."

(Editing by Toby Davis)

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Title race tough on Toure's family

Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure admits family loyalties are being stretched to the limit after the title race took another potentially decisive turn.

Yaya%20Toure%20of%20Manchester%20City%20celebrates%20scoring%20his%20hat%20trick%20with%20Aleksandar%20Kolarov%20of%20Manchester%20City%20.jpg.jpg

Monday 5th May 2014

City's 3-2 win at Everton put them in control of their own destiny and meant Toure's brother Kolo and his Liverpool side - favourites for the championship before last weekend - are unlikely to win it without help from other teams.

The Reds play their penultimate match of the season at Crystal Palace on Monday night and, while victory there would take them three points clear at the top of the table, City have two games still to play and a superior goal difference.

"Oh yes, it's been really difficult. You can't imagine how difficult," Yaya Toure said of the fight within the family.

"Your family have to try to be balanced - they are divided. Sport is unbelievable in that it can break hearts.

"If it is my brother who wins it I would still be happy for him. It would be amazing for him.

"But whatever I'm doing I always try to win - I've always been the same. I will only lose if someone is better than us.

"But it's still so tight - Liverpool still have a chance and so do Chelsea - they beat us twice, don't forget. It's going to be exciting.

"The family don't want to choose a side. We don't know how it will end.

"They just say 'the best team will win it'. They know that both teams have the quality to do it so let's wait and see."

City have been here before, of course - famously winning the title on goal difference with virtually the final kick of the 2011-12 season.

That experience will stand Manuel Pellegrini's side in good stead as they seek the two wins at home to Aston Villa and West Ham which should clinch a second title in three years.

Asked whether City would be happy to win it by a similarly tight margin again, Toure added: "Of course we would. We know at this club how important goal difference is.

"But I don't want to live through something like that again. We had QPR at home when it was almost too much for my heart. Going right to the last minute - it was unbelievable.

"I think the supporters would say like me that we don't want to live through that again. I hope this time, in these two games, we can make a difference earlier and get the wins early.

"Aston Villa and West Ham are coming. We need to be sharp. We need to be ready.

"We need to be well prepared for these games and not make it so close as last time.

"But we cannot just think we will finish on top. Premier League games are always tight, always difficult.

"Even if teams are defending they can go on the counter-attack and score goals.

"We are aware of that but with the players we have and the experience we have of 2012 we can keep on going - we are just two games away."

Last weekend Toure missed out on the Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award after it went to Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, who has 30 league goals this season.

The Ivory Coast international, who has scored 19 league goals from midfield, claimed in the lead-up to the ceremony African players were undervalued and if he was South American he would have received far more recognition.

So was he disappointed not to have won the PFA award?

"To be honest I was, because I'm a competitor," he said.

"But as well, Suarez had an excellent season. He was also very good. It was well deserved from him.

"The most important thing is trophies for the team. We always remind each other of that. It's not only me - we have a few players."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Blues to wait on trio's future

Jose Mourinho insisted Chelsea are in no rush to clarify the futures of captain John Terry, record goalscorer Frank Lampard and England left-back Ashley Cole after what could be the final Stamford Bridge match of the vaunted trio's distinguished Blues careers.

Frank%20Lampard%20of%20Chelsea%20%28L%29%20celebrates%20with%20John%20Terry%20as%20he%20scores%20their%20first%20goal%20during%20the%20Barclays%20Premier%20League%20match%20between%20Chelsea%20and%20Everton.jpg

Monday 5th May 2014

A blunt performance in a goalless draw with relegation-threatened Norwich saw Chelsea denied the win required to restore them to the top of the standings entering the concluding week of the season.

The players undertook a lap of appreciation afterwards, with tears flowing in what could be Terry, Lampard and Cole's farewell, with their current contracts expiring after next week's match at Cardiff.

"They are with the club on their future," added Mourinho, who says he wants all three to stay.

"Now it's time to wait a little bit. The summer is a long summer for us.

"For the players involved in the World Cup it's a different story, but for us, as a club, it's a long time to be calm and to sit and to discuss and to analyse options and the market and possibilities."

Mourinho preferred to laugh rather than cry after watching his side's slim Premier League title hopes fade further on Sunday as the point saw them concede further ground to Manchester City and Liverpool.

He lamented referee Neil Swarbrick's decision not to award Eden Hazard a penalty when Ryan Bennett swiped wildly at the Belgium forward.

Mourinho rushed to his office in the Stamford Bridge tunnel to confirm his initial suspicions that a spot-kick should have been awarded.

Mourinho said: "I saw (it) in the game, but to confirm I had a quick run to my office and I arrived in time to watch (the replay) and then go back to the dug-out laughing."

Why the laughter? "Because I can't cry."

With his assistant Rui Faria serving a six-match stadium ban following his dismissal against Sunderland and Mourinho facing Football Association disciplinary proceedings of his own, the Portuguese then kept his counsel.

He declined to assess the challenge on Andre Schurrle by Alex Tettey which might also have resulted in a spot-kick or discuss the moment when Norwich were denied by the officials when John Terry clattered Martin Olsson.

Mourinho added: "My assistant is in jail."

In assessing the first season of his second spell, Mourinho made a cryptic reference to the controversial losses to Aston Villa and Sunderland.

"Without festivals it would have been a better season," added Mourinho, who admitted the midweek Champions League exit may have sapped his side's energy levels.

Mourinho was critical of Norwich for not seeking the win they needed to boost their survival prospects as now their relegation could all but be confirmed on Wednesday, but his side's display again demonstrated their lack of cutting edge.

"They needed to win to try to have a chance to survive, and they didn't try," Mourinho said.

"We needed one point to finish third and we risked everything. We wanted to finish winning at home.

"In the second half we deserved that, but we didn't score.

"Our strikers are good strikers, but are players with some specific qualities.

"They are not the kind of players who in five square metres, with three or four players around, who can get the ball, dribble on, see the space and shoot.

"So when the team is in a difficult situation they are not able to, normally, resolve the situation for us."

Hazard collected the Blues supporters' player of the year award on the pitch before kick-off but was only a substitute.

The Belgium forward, who has been continually linked with Paris St Germain, was criticised by Mourinho in the wake of the Blues' loss to Atletico Madrid.

Mourinho admitted Chelsea were improved after Hazard's introduction.

"The team was much better in the second half," Mourinho added.

"Was Eden playing in the second half? Yes. Had he responsibilities in the second half? Yes."

Norwich's relegation could be completed on Wednesday.

A draw between Sunderland and West Brom - two and three points above Norwich, respectively - would all but seal their fate as they have such an inferior goal difference that a win at home to Arsenal next Sunday would be immaterial.

Canaries boss Neil Adams said: "Now we keep our fingers crossed and hope for a few results.

"If we go into the last game of the season, Arsenal at Carrow Road, needing to win the game, that's all we can hope for.

"We didn't want to lose the game. If we'd lost, we were down.

"We had a stonewall penalty denied us in the first half.

"It's pretty clear. Martin gets a touch to take it away from Ashley Cole, and John Terry's momentum takes him out. Probably (a red card, too).

"Had we got that we might have been leaving Stamford Bridge with three points instead of the one."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No points penalty for Sunderland over Ji

Sunderland will not face a points deduction from the Premier League in the continuing row over fielding Ji Dong-won with incomplete registration.

460776975.jpg

Monday 5th May 2014

Press Association Sport understands the Premier League is confident any issues regarding Sunderland striker Ji's incomplete registration were resolved as soon as they were uncovered.

Fulham and Norwich are understood to have contacted the Premier League for clarification on the fine handed to Sunderland over fielding Ji for four games without full registration.

Gaps in the 22-year-old Black Cats star's paperwork were highlighted following a routine drugs test, and the Premier League and Sunderland resolved the issues as a result.

The Premier League remains comfortable with the punishment handed out to Sunderland, and is not thought to believe any legal challenge can be mounted against the decision.

Sunderland forward Ji was correctly registered on arrival at the club in 2011, but issues arose after a loan spell with German club Augsburg.

Despite always being correctly registered with the Premier League and the Football Association, Ji's name was missed off a list of Sunderland players sent to world governing body FIFA for doping purposes.

Sunderland are thought to have reported this issue to the Premier League as soon as it was brought to their attention.

Press Association Sport understands the Premier League's investigation found that an online form had not been properly submitted to FIFA.

Sunderland are thought to have told the Premier League they submitted the form, but that a technical fault caused it never to reach FIFA correctly.

The Premier League board is understood to have determined that the technical nature of the oversight merited the fine meted out.

The Press Association understands no further action will be taken, despite two of Sunderland's relegation rivals making enquiries into the Premier League's disciplinary process.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pulis relishing test against Liverpool attack

Crystal Palace boss Tony Pulis is urging his players to show no fear when they face up to Liverpool's world-class forward line on Monday.

Daniel%20Sturridge.jpg

Monday 5th May 2014

The Reds can return to the top of the Barclays Premier League for 48 hours at least with a win at Palace, who have already guaranteed their top-flight status for another season.

The Eagles will need to contain Liverpool's ferocious duo Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge, who have scored 50 league goals between them this campaign, and Pulis wants his players to relish the challenge.

"There's not many occasions where you play against such great players and when you do I think it's more of a challenge and something to look forward to and enjoy - not something to be afraid of," Pulis said.

"Without a shadow of a doubt Suarez is one of the best forwards in the world.

"He's unbelievable, he's got unbelievable balance - people always talk about what he can do technically but great players have great balance.

"They can move themselves off angles at full pace and he can do that.

"He's got that awareness and everything that goes towards being a great player."

Suarez excelled from the moment he arrived in England in 2011 but Sturridge took longer to find his feet in the Premier League.

Manchester City and Chelsea both struggled to get the best out of the England speed merchant before Liverpool made their move in January 2013.

Sturridge has netted 25 goals in all competitions this season already and Pulis believes Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers deserves credit for the 24-year-old's success.

"Sturridge has been outstanding this year," Pulis said.

"He's obviously travelled and been around a few clubs - it didn't fall for him at Chelsea but Brendan has got the best out of him.

"A lot of people thought his best position was coming off the line out wide and I think at Liverpool he has done that as well and done really well.

"You have to give credit to Brendan for going and getting him and backing him to be a success which he has been."

Palace's resurgence since Pulis took over in November has been built on a mean defence that has kept 12 clean sheets during his tenure.

The Eagles have also shown speed on the counter-attack and penetration out wide but Pulis admits his own team's attacking flair is often overlooked.

"It doesn't worry me what anyone says," Pulis said.

"My view is you play to what you've got and the strengths you've got and do the best you can with what you've got.

"Yannick Bolasie has been outstanding for us, Jason Puncheon has been oustanding, Cameron Jerome and Marouane Chamakh have been very, very good.

"If there is a criticism of the team it's that we haven't taken as many of the chances we've created that we should have.

"That would be a fair criticism but those attackers have worked hard without the ball as well. We attack as a team and we defend as a team."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Devastated' Liverpool will learn from Palace capitulation, says Rodgers

400567_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
May 6, 2014 10:52:00 AM

The Reds threw away a three-goal lead at Selhurst Park on Monday to virtually end their hopes of pipping Manchester City to the Premier League title

Brendan Rodgers admits his players were “devastated” after Monday's 3-3 draw at Crystal Palace but backs Liverpool to recover from their shock capitulation.

Liverpool, who were aiming to put a significant dent in Manchester City's superior goal difference, held a 3-0 lead heading into the final 12 minutes at Selhurst Park on Monday evening.

However, a Damien Delaney strike and a Dwight Gayle double sealed a stunning comeback to virtually end Liverpool's hopes of winning their first league title since 1990.

"It was hugely disappointing," Rodgers told reporters. "For 78 minutes, we were outstanding and did everything that we would want to do.We looked solid defensively, didn't have many scares, controlled the ball, ended up getting three goals and looked like we could get one or two more.

"But I think we got carried away; thought we could maybe get one or two more and lost the defensive structure to our game. To concede the three goals at the end was hugely disappointing, having worked so hard to get 3-0 up.

"Tonight was about winning the game, so when we stabilised that at half-time and got the structure back into our game, we came out in the second half and got two quick goals - which put us in total control with half an hour to go.

"We created other chances and looked like we could score, but we just didn't manage the game then. At 3-0, we gave them a little sniff when they were not in the game at all. Obviously, they have got some good players that can punish you.

"It's something that we'll improve on for next season; last season we needed to get better and we've got better this year.”

Liverpool have conceded 49 goals in the Premier League this season - the most out of any team in the top five - and Rodgers concedes that his side's defensive fragility needs to be addressed.

"It feels like a loss when you're 3-0 up and concede goals like that. As you can imagine, [the dressing room] is very quiet and the players are devastated really because, for 78 minutes, we were outstanding; some of our football and, importantly, our defending, was good," said the Liverpool manager.

"But in those last 12 minutes, we just didn't defend with any sort of cohesion and ended up conceding really poor goals.

"The first goal, they played it short - the guy has got a shot in far too easy, it takes a deflection but we should still do better.

"The second goal comes from a corner; we break away and play a square pass on the edge of the box. That's just decision-making. All of a sudden they skip away, they have quick players - Gayle and Yannick Bolasie break forward, young Thomas Ince is on.

"They got the second goal and for the third, they have momentum then. We were about to make a change and put another defender on and they got the third. It was that crazy spell that we will need to be better in for the future.

"It's an area that we know we need to be better at. We've improved a lot in many aspects of our game and that will be an area I'm sure we'll look at - and nobody more so than myself."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Huth jokes Suarez should be banned for crying as Nasri 'loves' Crystal Palace

400571_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
May 6, 2014 10:41:00 AM

The Liverpool striker broke down following his side's 3-3 draw with the Eagles at Selhurst Park and the Stoke defender was quick to stick the boot in on Twitter

Stoke City defender Robert Huth joked that Luis Suarez should be banned for three matches for crying as Twitter reacted to Liverpool's 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace.

The Reds, looking to put a significant dent in Manchester City's goal difference, went on the offensive against the Eagles and led 3-0 heading into the final 12 minutes.

However, a Damien Delaney strike and a Dwight Gayle brace sealed a remarkable comeback for Tony Pulis' side and prompted Suarez to break down as the Reds' title hopes slipped away.

And Huth later stuck the boot in on Twitter, by jokingly calling on the FA to reprimand the Uruguay international.

The German centre-back wrote: "Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban."

Palace's comeback means Manchester City will be crowned champions if they win their remaining Premier League games against Aston Villa and West Ham, and midfielder Samir Nasri declared his love for the Eagles at the final whistle.

He tweeted: "What a game, what a league, I love Crystal Palace so much now our turn to do the job."

Meanwhile, Glen Johnson hit out at pundits who criticised Liverpool following their capitulation at Selhurst Park, claiming that there are "so many sofa pundits in this game."

He added: "Absolutely no idea about football whatsoever! #Jokers."

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Title meltdown at Selhurst: Liverpool simply have no defence

400574_heroa.jpg

May 6, 2014 8:15:00 AM

The Merseysiders' title hopes are left in tatters after a calamitous passage of defending at Crystal Palace ruined another outstanding attacking display

By Wayne Veysey at Selhurst Park

One of the most remarkable Premier League matches of all ended with an inconsolable double-winning player of the year hiding his face from the world only 15 minutes after he was trying to extend Liverpool’s advantage to four goals.

Liverpool’s meltdown was so sudden, and Palace’s comeback so extraordinary, that all the emotions football can offer seemed to be squeezed into one bite-sized segment.

At the final whistle, the visiting players slumped to their knees en masse. A distraught Steven Gerrard, with tears gently rolling down his face, ushered the television cameras away, while Luis Suarez was bawling his eyes out so uncontrollably that he covered his face with his shirt and was led to the dressing room by unused substitute Kolo Toure.

It was raw and brutal. Liverpool supporters looked on from the away end in utter disbelief. Some were in tears, but most stood motionless and virtually expressionless, unable to take in what they had just seen.

By contrast, Palace’s raucous support celebrated with the unrestrained fervour that has been their trademark in a stunning turnaround under Tony Pulis’ wily leadership.

Selhurst Park bounced and rocked. Liverpool, who had penetrated, dominated and then crumbled, were in a state of shock.

The images provided a riveting footnote to what had been a loopy, bonkers and completely intoxicating chapter of play.

Cold analysis of this 3-3 classic will show that Liverpool’s dodgy defence let them down after their effervescent attack had laid the foundation for what should have been a convincing victory that kept the pressure on title favourites Manchester City.

"Man City will go on and win it now," declared Brendan Rodgers at full-time. "For 75 minutes we were outstanding," he explained in a typically logical post-match assessment. "We scored three goals, we created many chances, then we conceded with 12 minutes to go and we have to see the game out better than that. You cannot come here against a very good side, be the threat that we were and then defend as we did. It is criminal really."

The frailties of Liverpool’s back five, evident even when they were destroying teams during a remarkable 11-match winning run, were laid bare just when it seemed that they would once again be masked by more attacking brilliance.

Replays showed that the positioning and decision-making of the visitors for all three of Palace’s goals were calamitous. The consequences were horrific, with substitute Dwight Gayle writing himself into Palace folklore with his deadly pair of side-footed finishes within a few pulsating minutes of one another.

Glen Johnson, a buccaneering asset to the Liverpool attack as they romped into a three-goal lead, was made to look a novice as he showed a startling lack of awareness and resilience for each of the Palace goals. Martin Skrtel, who veers between the very good and the very bad with alarming regularity, and Mamadou Sakho looked like ham actors playing the fool in a 1920s silent movie.

Few could blame Gerrard, who had delivered a midfield masterclass for three-quarters of the match, or Suarez, who pilfered his 31st goal of the season, for their bitter disappointment. Both have expended so much emotional, as well as physical, energy in the bid to end Liverpool’s 24-year title drought.

Only hours earlier, Suarez had learned that he had added the Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year award to his PFA gong. The man he beat in second place in the journalists’ poll was his team-mate and club captain.

The individual accolades will be a source of great pride but provide scant consolation as the events of the last nine days sink in.

Liverpool, who are one short of a remarkable century of league goals, have used their attacking strengths to compensate for sloppy defending all season. It has been a delicate balancing act, but one they looked capable of winning. Yet, at the penultimate hurdle, they have fallen short.

"It is 99 goals we have scored, which is a phenomenal achievement by the team - but you have to defend," said Rodgers. "It is no good scoring all those goals if you defend as we did [last] night.

"There is no doubt. Manchester City will go on and win it. We needed to win to keep the pressure on going into the last game and we did not do that. You have to have that maturity to see it through and we did not do that. It was bitterly disappointing and I would expect Manchester City to go on and win their two home games."

In this rollercoaster season, a victory for Aston Villa at City on Wednesday night is certainly not out of the question. Paul Lambert’s youthful counter-attacking team are better on the road and have some big scalps to show for it.

Whether or not Liverpool get the kind of assistance Palace gave City to open up the title race again, a more solid base is required at Anfield next season, when Champions League commitments will test a squad that needs considerable beefing up.

Daniel Agger should be sold if Rodgers feels he is too static and leisurely to play a major role, and at least two centre-backs and a full-back recruited to challenge Skrtel, Sakho and Johnson for a regular starting place.

Liverpool’s army of recruitment specialists need to have a better window than last summer, and prove they are as good at spotting defensive talent as they are at finding under-valued strikers and attacking midfielders.

There is a great deal to admire about this Liverpool team. They have provided some wonderful entertainment this season. But every title-winning side needs to have a solid foundation.

EdenHazard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Giggs organises Manchester United get-together as Van Gaal announcement draws closer

399193_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2014 2:36:00 PM

The interim Old Trafford boss arranged a fun day for players, past and present, and their families on Sunday with the Netherlands coach all set to take over in the summer

EXCLUSIVE
By Paul Clennam

Interim Manchester United boss Ryan Giggs organised a special get-together at Carrington on Sunday as the club make preparations to announce Louis van Gaal as the club’s new permanent manager.

As Goal reported in April, Van Gaal has agreed a deal to take charge at Old Trafford after his World Cup commitments with Netherlands, with an official announcement expected within the next 10 days.

And with the season drawing to a close and the curtain coming down on his short tenure as David Moyes' successor, Giggs brought the entire squad, staff and loved ones together at the training ground in what appeared a symbolic end to the Sir Alex Ferguson era.

The Welshman, along with 'Class of 92' United stalwarts Nicky Butt, Phil Neville and Paul Scholes, are unsure over their future roles at the club despite acquiring positions of huge influence since Ferguson's retirement.

It is thought that Van Gaal is keen to bring in his own backroom staff upon his appointment, something that Giggs in particular is aware of, as referenced in his pre-match press conference last Friday.

"I'm here until the end of the season," he said. "I have a lot to think about."

The mood at Sunday's get-together, however, was more celebratory than mournful, with the relaxed atmosphere that has been in effect since Giggs took over in full swing.

The Welshman, who has been with the club for over 25 years, was temporarily installed as Moyes' successor back in April and Goal understands he has the full backing of the staff within Carrington to take the job on a permanent basis.

But with Van Gaal's appointment thought to be imminent, Sunday’s fun-day was seen by some as the last time this group of players and staff will be together informally before the summer, when the World Cup and holidays are likely to coincide with a wholesale change of personnel.

The event was, therefore, seen as a 'goodbye' to the Sir Alex Ferguson era - a time that saw United sweep aside all before them, winning 13 Premier League titles and two Champions League trophies during an unprecedented period of success.

Ferguson himself was not present at Carrington on Sunday although he did make an appearance at the club's training ground earlier in the week, where he has been absent ever since Moyes was initially trusted with the job at Old Trafford.

Manchester United face Hull City on Tuesday night in the last home game of the season, ahead of a final-day trip to Southampton.

It appears all but certain that United will end the season in seventh – outside of the European places and with their worst ever points tally in a Premier League season.