• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║ La Liga Season 2012-13 ║║

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Real Madrid v Real Valladolid

3 May 2013

319175header.jpg

Real Madrid will look to bounce back from their Champions League exit in midweek with when they take on Real Valladolid on Saturday.

Madrid bowed out of the UEFA Champions League against Borussia Dortmund and, with Barcelona all but certain to win La Liga, their only remaining chance of silverware is the Copa del Rey.

Iker Casillas has spoken recently about the need for his teammates to be in good form when they face Atletico Madrid in the final and Jose Mourinho’s men will look to take all three points against a Valladolid side who have won just once in their last eight games.

On the other hand, Madrid have won their last seven games at Santiago Bernabeu but will be without a number of key players.

Sergio Ramos could miss out with a hamstring problem picked up against Dortmund in midweek and Cristiano Ronaldo is also a doubt.

Alvaro Arbeloa, Marcelo and Raul Albiol will also miss out on the tie while Valladolid have a fully fit squad to choose from as they look to get their first win over Madrid since May 2000.

Valladolid are all but safe in La Liga, six places and ten points above Celta Vigo who occupy the last relegation place, and come into the game after a 1-1 draw with fellow mid-table outfit Sevilla.

Boss Miroslav Dukic is likely to name a similar side to the one that took to the field at the Estadio Nuevo José Zorrilla last time out.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Barcelona v Real Betis

4 May 2013

319215header.jpg

Barcelona will look to recover from their UEFA Champions League mauling at home to Betis on Sunday, a game that could see them win La Liga.

Tito Vilanva's side could wrap up the league title if they overcome Betis and reigning champions Real Madrid lose to Real Valladolid on Saturday.

Betis had a fine first half of the season, which saw the Seville-based club sitting fourth in the Liga standings on January 26, but they have only claimed three victories in their past 13 games to fall to seventh.

With five rounds remaining this season, Betis need to overcome the nine-point gap between them and fourth-placed Real Sociedad if they are to snag Spain's berth in the qualifying stages of next season's Champions League.

Betis head coach Pepe Mel will urge his players to try and hit Barcelona hard from the start on Sunday after the Liga leaders' capitulations to Bayern Munich over the past fortnight.

Barca were thumped 3-0 by Bayern on Wednesday to lose their Champions League semi-final 7-0 on aggregate, while the Catalan club have not won in three matches in all competitions following their 2-2 draw with Athletic Bilbao last week.

Ruben Castro will be the key to Betis' hopes against Barcelona as the 31-year-old striker has 16 goals and six assists in La Liga this season.

In Betis' past four matches, Castro has hit the back of the net three times and set up another trio of goals.

For Barcelona, the clash with Betis will be an opportunity to put a horror couple of weeks behind them after being found out by Bayern over two legs.

While arguably premature, there have been claims that the Champions League semi-final is an end of an era for Barcelona and that could be bad news for Betis as Vilanova's team will be keen to prove their excellence at Camp Nou.

In another bad sign for Betis, Barcelona have not lost at home in La Liga this season and have won their past 12.

But in a boost for Mel and his players, Lionel Messi is expected to be rested after he was left on the bench against Bayern due to a hamstring injury.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid & Barcelona failures prompt La Liga reschedule

By Sam Goold
May 2, 2013 9:42:00 PM

170972hp2.jpg

Following the elimination of the big two in Spain, the LFP has decided to bring the league's penultimate round of fixtures forward to the weekend of the Wembley showdown

Barcelona and Real Madrid’s failure to progress to the Champions League final has prompted a reshuffle to the penultimate games in the Liga calendar, the Spanish league have confirmed.

Barca were dismissed from Europe’s elite club competition after they succumbed to a 7-0 aggregate defeat to Bayern Munich in the semi-finals, while Real Madrid bowed out at the same stage following their 4-3 overall loss to Borussia Dortmund.

Without a Spanish representative in the showpiece event at Wembley on May 25, the Liga de futbol profesional (LFP) have rescheduled domestic fixtures for that weekend.

"In line with a prevision made in the calendar... that if no Spanish team qualified for the Champions League final, the 37th round of matches, scheduled for Wednesday May 29, will be brought forward to Sunday, May 26," the LFP said in a statement.

Week 37 sees Barcelona take on fierce local rivals Espanyol while Madrid are the visitors of Real Sociedad.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho's agent: 80% chance Jose will manage Chelsea next season

May 3, 2013 10:16:00 PM

276562hp2.jpg

The Portuguese boss is on the way out of the Spanish capital, with the 50-year-old's agent revealing there is a high probability his next destination will be Stamford Bridge

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has an “80 per cent” of managing Chelsea next season, according to the Portuguese trainer's agent Jorge Mendes.

Goal exclusively revealed on Friday that the Santiago Bernabeu is set for a clear out this summer with Mourinho amongst a Mendes-represented group of individuals leaving the Spanish capital, with Stamford Bridge to be the 50-year-old's next destination.

Speaking to Italian outlet Radio Mana Mana Sport, the high-profile coach's representative all but confirmed the news:

“After the match versus Borussia Dortmund, he spoke with journalists and was fairly clear in saying that he wants to leave and there's about an 80% probability that Chelsea will be his next club.

“Chelsea fans adore Mou, they love him.”

The super-agent was also quizzed on other possible posts his client would consider in the coming years, and Mendes feels Mourinho could even go on to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford someday.

“Manchester United is a possibility in the future. It's well known that Ferguson and Mourinho like each other a lot.”

Madrid's next match sees them take on Valladolid in La Liga, where a failure to win at the Bernabeu could result in Barcelona winning the title depending on the outcome of the Blaugrana's own clash with Betis.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho exit will not affect Madrid - Valdano

By Frank Tigani
May 3, 2013 9:07:00 PM

219230hp2.jpg

The former Blancos director believes the Spanish club will not suffer if the Portuguese boss opts to leave this summer, while he had a word of praise for German football

Former Real Madrid director Jorge Valdano is convinced his old club will go unscathed if coach Jose Mourinho leaves at the season's end.

Mourinho's future in the Spanish capital has been well documented since Tuesday night's elimination at the hands of Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League semi-finals.

Valdano, who worked along side Mourinho for a period before a public spat between the two saw him leave the club, is certain things will carry on as usual at Madrid even if the Portuguese coach does move on.

"Real Madrid are still an extraordinary side. From this point of view, it will not matter if there is a change in coach," Valdano told Cadena Ser.

"Real Madrid are a very big and complex club, there are thousands of people behind the scenes."

Asked what coaches he thought could replace Mourinho, he said: "[Carlo] Ancelotti is a great man, he is diligent, calm and has the capacity to create something special. He haas the ability to work naturally even under controversial conditions.

"But, I admire [Jurgen] Klopp a lot. He has the optimism that can bring his team joy.

"German football and Bayern Munich know where they want to go. They are doing so with a great style of football."

Valdano also touched on how los Blancos almost overturned the deficit against the Germans in Tuesday's night game.

"Coming back is part of Real Madrid's fabric," he added.

"It's part of its image and it's very impressive. Barcelona are different, they have great faith in their philosophy, but they do not have a history of coming back in the big ties."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: My record speaks for itself

By Will Jones
May 3, 2013 4:07:00 PM

273440hp2.jpg

The Portuguese says he doesn't need to defend himself because he has won so much, causing an unfair amount of expectation to be thrust upon him

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho says he should be judged by his achievements and not by his failure to win the Champions League with the club.

The Portuguese has won league titles in four different countries and is one of only three coaches to win the Champions League with two different clubs. He also holds the record for the most points and goals scored in a Liga season.

But Mourinho has not yet been able to lift European football's greatest prize in his time at the Santiago Bernabeu and he hit out at critics for failing to note his impressive list of achievements.

"I am always hoping there is some 'smart guy' who will ask me a question which requires a piece of paper," the 50-year-old told reporters at a press conference.

"The record league title is mine; I have played in three Champions League semi-finals, which doesn't personally leave me satisfied. [But] it can't be easy because 18 coaches in 21 years [have only reached] five Champions League semi-finals at Real Madrid. The bad guy is Mourinho, with three in three seasons.

"My work is never valued in absolute terms but in terms of what I have achieved and that's my fault because I have won so much that the expectations are always much higher than what I am able to achieve later on.

"You journalists will want to wipe me off the list but you won't be able to - only when there is a team which wins 101 points [in La Liga]. Twenty years without winning the Copa - and we won it. The records of (100 points, 121 goals) is mine, it can't be deleted and it doesn't feed my ego."

Mourinho has been strongly-linked with a return to Chelsea this summer and could well call time on his stay in Madrid at the end of the season.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I regret not signing Lopez earlier, says Mourinho

May 3, 2013 7:39:00 PM

276562hp2.jpg

The Portuguese has taken a swipe at Iker Casillas by suggesting that he should have been replaced at an earlier stage and also took the time to praise Barcelona

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has confessed that he wishes he had signed goalkeeper Diego Lopez earlier during his stay at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The 31-year-old joined Madrid from Sevilla in the January transfer window to replace the injured Iker Casillas and has since made the spot between the sticks his own.

Mourinho has now made it clear that head had already set his sights on Lopez before, but eventually decided not to bring him in, a decision the Portuguese now regrets.

"Would I do anything differently if I had the chance to do the past three years over again? I should have brought in Diego Lopez after my first year. We didn't do enough to sign him. It's a real shame," Mourinho said at a press conference.

The Madrid coach then went on to discuss his future at Madrid and insisted that he has not made a final decision yet.

"I can only confirm that I will sit down with the president and Jose Angel Sanchez at the end of the season.

"You look around you and it seems that everybody is moving. There's Carlo [Ancelotti] at PSG, Bayern are changing coaches, Manchester City, Chelsea, there's speculation everywhere. Some changes will happen and others are just rumours..."

Mourinho also had his say on Barcelona's performances in recent years and labelled them the best team of the past 20-30 years.

"It's an honour to have broken the dominance of Barcelona at national level. On international level, I did it with Inter. They're still a fantastic team, probably the best of the last 20 - 30 years.

"Now they've had a couple of bad, surprising results and have become a bad team in the eyes of many..."

The coach was also questioned about Cristiano Ronaldo's future at the club and insisted that he hopes his compatriot will stay put for many more years to come.

"I hope that Cristiano and Madrid stay together for a long time. He has to think about himself and the club. He was not happy earlier this season, but he is now. He is 100 per cent focused on Madrid."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Levante accused of match-fixing

By Will Jones
May 3, 2013 3:02:00 PM

article_d7b642e2967b6b3b_1367575132_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Granotes are being questioned over suspected irregularities in one of this season's Liga matches and have appealed for everyone associated with the club to defend its reputation

Levante have been accused of match-fixing in their 4-0 home defeat to Deportivo La Coruna on April 13.

The loss back in April gave Depor's survival hopes a boost by playing a part in lifting them out of the relegation zone, as they now sit one point above the drop.

The Spanish club are under investigation for the alleged offence and have agreed to co-operate in full with any inquisition and have pleaded for the club to stick together after releasing the following statement.

"Following recent reports in the media about alleged irregularities in the league match of round 31, Levante-Deportivo La Coruna, the board of directors has decided the club will make itself available to all institutions that will be looking into these reports (Liga de Futbol Profesional and Asociacion de Futbolistas Espanoles) and also to the Real Federacion Espanola de Futbol and, of course, the ordinary courts, to help and assist in the collaboration with any investigation that is occurring.

"Levante UD is an institution that ensures fair play and is fighting for full transparency in the competition. The board believes in the professionalism and integrity of all the players of the first team, who have been involved in major sporting achievements of our history.

"The club appeals to its fans and all levantinismo to stick together, support the team and the organisation to strengthen its image and, above all, achieve the objective of staying in the Primera Division.

"The board of directors, in seeing out its responsibility, will take every appropriate action to defend the prestige of Levante UD."

Levante finished sixth in La Liga last season and currently sit in 13th place in the division. They take on Mallora on May 5.

RadamelFalcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Wrap: Barcelona on brink of title after Betis win

6 May 2013

319446header.jpg

Barcelona need one point from their final four fixtures to clinch the Liga title after a 4-2 victory over Real Betis on Sunday.

Dorlan Pabon gave the visitors a shock lead inside two minutes at Camp Nou but Alexis Sanchez headed in an almost immediate equaliser.

Ruben Perez restored the advantage for Pepe Mel’s side ahead of half-time with a sensational 30-yard goal before David Villa finally found the net after missing a string of first-half chances.

Villa had to make way for Lionel Messi moments after netting and the Argentine turned the match around with two goals of the highest quality, scoring for the 21st league game in a row to claim victory.

Elsewhere, Real Zaragoza registered consecutive wins for the first time this season to move out of the relegation zone.

Apono opened the scoring against Rayo Vallecano with a penalty, after Jordi Figueras handled in the area, before Rodri doubled their advantage from close-range five minutes into the second half.

The three points were wrapped up in the last minute of action when Apono fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Real Mallorca remained rooted to the bottom of the table after they were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Levante.

The hosts went ahead in the seventh minute through Tomer Hemed but Robert Acquafresca headed in the equaliser just before half-time.

Meanwhile, Sevilla eased to a 3-0 victory against Espanyol, with Joan Capdevila’s 11th-minute own-goal getting them off the mark.

Coke and Alvaro Negredo both scored before the midway point in the first half to keep Sevilla in with a chance of a top-six finish.

Sunday's only fixture saw Getafe entertain high-flying Real Sociedad and the hosts sprung a surprise as they came from a goal down to secure a victory.

Carlos Vela opened the scoring for Sociedad in the fourth minute but goals from on-loan Real Madrid midfielder Pedro Leon and Abdel Barrada won the game for Getafe.

RadamelFalcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

262867_thumb.jpg

Mourinho wants what is best for the team, insists Zanetti
The Argentine has defended his former coach from recent criticism, insisting he does what is necessary to achieve success

272267_thumb.jpg

Tello: I'm not at Henry's level yet
The young attacker has played down comparisons with the Frenchman and went on to hail the importance of Lionel Messi to the Blaugrana first team

254829_thumb.jpg

Florentino Perez urges Real Madrid unity
The club's president has urged the side to stick together on the back of a difficult week at the Santiago Bernabeu

256037_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: Bayern defeat still hurts
The Spain international says Barcelona's fans and players are still shocked by the 7-0 aggregate loss to the Bavarians in the Champions League

249308_thumb.jpg

Casillas has had a tough time - Ramos
The Spain centre-back has called for unity within the Real Madrid camp and admitted that his captain has suffered due to his time on the bench

264608_thumb.jpg

Messi motivates Barcelona, says Alexis
The Chilean is hoping to wrap up the Liga title soon but admits that the Argentine star provides his whole team with a boost when he plays

270716_thumb.jpg

Iniesta bemused by Casillas situation
The Barcelona midfielder has voiced his surprise at the Spain skipper's shift in status at the Santiago Bernabeu, where he has lost his place in the first team to Diego Lopez

252200_thumb.jpg

Messi is still the best, says Pique
The defender feels the Argentine ace will continue to stand at the top of football's pantheon for many years to come, and reacted to Tito Vilanova's comments on his future

277715_thumb.jpg

Iniesta: Barcelona should not go crazy with changes
The Spain international feels the Liga leaders do not require a significant squad overhaul this summer and paid tribute to team-mate Lionel Messi

275288_thumb.jpg

Judge my Barcelona reign next season, pleads Vilanova
The Blaugrana boss admits that he may have been guilty of making mistakes during his first season in charge, but is ready to "do things differently" next term

276373_thumb.jpg

Chelsea should target Mourinho over Pellegrini, says Kenyon
The ex-Blues chief believes the Portuguese would improve any team but indicated his differences with Roman Abramovich could make a return difficult

175683_thumb.jpg

Butragueno: Kaka & Ronaldo are great professionals
The Blancos legend singled out the duo for praise following their goalscoring heroics in Saturday's 4-3 Liga victory over Valladolid

277297_thumb.jpg

'The entire defence is to blame' - Kaka criticises Madrid's goal leakage
The Brazilian was pleased with his side's comeback win over Valladolid on Saturday despite being unhappy with conceding three goals at home

258813_thumb.jpg

Jeered Mourinho moves closer to Madrid exit but Ronaldo remains Real deal
The 50-year old coach was booed by fans ahead of his side's 4-3 win over Valladolid on Saturday, when his compatriot headed two goals to move closer to 200 strikes for the club

275739_thumb.jpg

Cruyff rubbishes talk that Barcelona's era has ended
The Blaugrana legend believes the Camp Nou outfit are still a force to be reckoned with, while Pep Guardiola spoke of the thin line between success and failure

241962_thumb.jpg

Boo Mourinho if you want, concedes Karanka
The Spaniard dismissed the significance of the Portuguese's remarks, after the coach revealed he wished he had signed Diego Lopez sooner

270473_thumb.jpg

Pepe slams Mourinho over Casillas comments
The defender launched a thinly-veiled attack on his compatriot, in another incident that suggests the 50-year-old has lost the support of the dressing room

220991_thumb.jpg

Guardiola hails Messi's 'false nine' mastery
The incoming Bayern Munich coach has spoken about the positional switch that has now become synonymous with the Argentina international

276071_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti denies Real Madrid meeting
The Paris Saint-Germain boss denies reports he has met with Blancos general manager Jose Angel Sanchez, while insisting he side must remain motivated for the final few games

274238_thumb.jpg

Messi: I've not spoken to Guardiola since he left
The Barcelona star revealed he has not been in contact with his former coach since he departed Camp Nou and explained he would be unlikely to coach the Argentina side

275562_thumb.jpg

Benzema leaving Madrid out of the question, says agent
The Frenchman has seemingly caught the attention of Juventus, but his representative has made it clear that a transfer is not an option

223874_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo's future is at Real Madrid, says Raul
The former Spain international has voiced his admiration for the prolific attacker and thinks he will not leave the Bernabeu any time soon

186403_thumb.jpg

Barcelona were wrong to appoint Vilanova, claims Laporta
The former Blaugrana supremo believes the former assistant coach was not ready to take Pep Guardiola's place at the start of the season

RadamelFalcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea players still speak with Mourinho, reveals Terry

By Husmukh Kerai
May 7, 2013 11:49:00 AM

278154hp2.jpg

The Blues captain claims himself and Frank Lampard regularly exchange messages with the Real Madrid boss, who is nearing a return to Stamford Bridge

John Terry has explained that he and other Chelsea team-mates regularly keep in contact with former boss Jose Mourinho.

Earlier this month, Goal revealed the Real Madrid coach has agreed a deal to return to Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, where he twice lifted the Premier League title.

Terry has now revealed he and Frank Lampard are among those who still speak with the 50-year-old, often exchanging messages of good luck prior to their respective matches.

"Mourinho has a great relationship with our fans because we won the Premier League and several other titles with him," Terry told Marca.

"Real Madrid must be respected, as he is under contract. The fans have clearly shown that he is the man they want after everything he won. He's still 'The Special One'.

"We send each other text messages and often wish each other good luck. He's interested in our results and everything that happens at the club.

"He's not only in contact with me but also with [Frank] Lampard and other players.

"He's been winning titles at Real for three years and he has the chance to win the Copa del Rey this season. All I can say is that he's a top manager who I really enjoyed working under.

"He always thought about the squad, not just the starting XI. He explained things to you, also when you weren't playing and demanded everything from you.

"We worked hard and we could also talk to him about personal problems. He was a friend. We were all sad when he left."

RadamelFalcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Pepe has a problem

By Stefan Coerts
May 7, 2013 12:32:00 PM

273438hp2.jpg

The under-fire coach has hit back at the Portugal international following the latter's recent comments and has explained his decision to field Diego Lopez ahead of Iker Casillas

Jose Mourinho has taken a swipe at Pepe in the wake of the defender's comments on the Real Madrid coach's treatment of Iker Casillas.

The centre-back claimed his coach should show Casillas more respect after los Blancos hard-fought 4-3 win over Valladolid at the weekend, but Mourinho has issued a riposte by suggesting that Pepe is simply trying to distract attention from is own struggle to secure first-team football.

"Pepe's comments? It is very easy to analyse what he says. Pepe has a problem and his name is Raphael Varane," the Madrid coach stated at a press conference.

"A 31-year-old has lost his place to a 19-year-old. It’s the law of life. But who had the courage to field Varane? I did."

Mourinho then went on to explain his decision to drop Casillas in favour of Diego Lopez, stressing that it has nothing to do with any personal animosity between the pair.

"Let's see if you understand it once and for all, I am a soccer coach," he continued.

"They hired me to be a soccer coach and a soccer coach has certain responsibilities, one of which is to pick the team.

"I don't do it by flipping a coin. I do it after discussion and lengthy analysis of my decisions.

"I like Diego Lopez more than Iker Casillas as a goalkeeper. This is not a personal decision, there is nothing bad between Iker and me.

"I like shot-stoppers who play well with their feet and who come off their line to collect crosses. Iker makes great saves between the posts, but I prefer a different type of goalkeeper."

Madrid are currently preparing for Wednesday's Liga match at home against Malaga.

RadamelFalcao

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho tells Iniesta: No Messi, no glory

By John-Paul Tooth
May 7, 2013 3:09:00 PM

278202hp2.jpg

The Blancos coach has hit back at the Spaniard's comments about Iker Casillas by suggesting the Catalan giants are vulnerable without the Argentina international

Jose Mourinho believes Barcelona's humbling Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich is evidence of them being a diminished force without Lionel Messi.

The Real Madrid coach hit back at comments made by Andres Iniesta, in which the Spain international said he was surprised by Mourinho's treatment of Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

But the 50-year-old told reporters: "[Iniesta] can think what he likes, but I would say to him that without Messi his team is so different and that is why they did what they did in the semi-finals of the Champions League."

The former Chelsea and Inter boss took responsibility for his team's failure to meet their objectives this term.

"We want to finish the league in second place - but second place is not enough," said the two-time Champions League-winning coach.

"I haven’t been strong enough or persuasive enough as a coach to reach our objectives."

Mourinho was keen to add that his career at Madrid may not definitely be over, however, despite strong speculation linking him with a summer exit.

"If I think, and the boys think, that I can go on giving something more, I will continue [at the club]," he added.

Chewbacca

'I can prove Levante-Deportivo game was fixed' - Tebas

Javier Barkero is believed to have accused his Granotes team-mates of deliberately manipulating the outcome of the game in a dishonest fashion

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Real Madrid 6 Malaga 2

9 May 2013

319740header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 200th goal for Real Madrid as Jose Mourinho’s men destroyed nine-man Malaga at the Bernabeu.

A dramatic first-half saw six goals as Ronaldo, Raul Albiol, Mesut Ozil and Karim Benzema scored one apiece for the hosts. Malaga scored twice themselves through Roque Santa Cruz and Vitorino Antunes, but had Sergio Sanchez sent off.

Ronaldo also missed a penalty for Madrid. Malaga were reduced to nine men in the second-half as Martin Demichelis was also dismissed, with Luka Modric and Angel di Maria adding to an emphatic scoreline.

Mourinho kept faith with goalkeeper Diego Lopez while Albiol started in central defence due to the unavailability of defenders Sergio Ramos and Pepe. Julio Baptista and Santa Cruz formed a centre forward partnership for sixth-placed Malaga.

Following poor Malaga man-marking, Madrid opened the scoring inside two minutes with the first meaningful attack of the game. Albiol rose to powerfully head home a Modric corner.

Malaga - coached by former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini - tried to find their rhythm after that early setback and Paraguay striker Santa Cruz duly obliged by scoring a 14th-minute equaliser, heading home from a corner.

But for all their attacking positivity, Malaga often looked vulnerable at the back and in an open, free-flowing game, Madrid proved a handful and were awarded a penalty after 20 minutes. Sergio Sanchez was sent off for hauling down Ronaldo in the area and the former Manchester United star took the spot-kick, but his weak penalty attempt straight down the middle was saved by Wilfredo Caballero.

Madrid were then awarded an in-direct free-kick following a backpass handled by Caballero and Ronaldo made amends for his disappointing penalty miss as he smashed the ball into the back of the net to notch his goal for the Spanish giants.

Ozil added a third after 34 minutes when a blistering counter attack found the German in acres of space to coolly slot home.

In danger of being on the receiving end of a rout, Antunes gave Malaga a lifeline two minutes later as he placed a quite brilliant shot in the top right-hand corner.

Following excellent build-up play and disarray in the Malaga defence, France striker Benzema made it 4-2 to the hosts on the stroke of half-time with a very cool finish.

Madrid threatened early on in the second-half with the game seemingly out of sight, squandering a few chances, but Modric made it 5-2 with a long-range effort thundering in off the post after 63 minutes.

Demichelis was dismissed for Malaga for a second bookable defence, reducing the visitors to nine men, after hauling down Ronaldo who had carried the ball unopposed deep into opposition territory.

Di Maria made it 6-2 to Madrid late on in stoppage time to put the seal on an impressive display from Mourinho’s side.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

272114_thumb.jpg

Nobody will remember Mourinho's words in a year's time, says Thiago
The Spain international has downplayed the significance of the Madrid coach's comments and believes his brother Rafinha has a bright future ahead of him

201160_thumb.jpg

Casillas' attitude has been impeccable, says Xabi Alonso
The midfielder has praised his compatriot's professionalism and has insisted that Real Madrid are desperate for Copa del Rey glory

273784_thumb.jpg

Fight almost over for lost La Liga title, says Thiago
The Barcelona midfielder does not believe that Atletico Madrid will be distracted on Sunday and insists that he is happy being a squad player at Camp Nou for now

259814_thumb.jpg

Ramos: Madrid must stop squabbling
The defender has asked for the Blancos team to to put their egos aside, work together and unite ahead of their cup finale this month

269612_thumb.jpg

Mourinho return to Chelsea 'would be great', says Lampard
The Real Madrid boss - who won two Premier League titles between 2004 and 2007 at Stamford Bridge - is widely thought to have agreed a comeback at the end of the season

224069_thumb.jpg

Thiago Silva could move to Barcelona, hints agent
The Brazilian defender's representative admits it would be difficult for Paris Saint-Germain to sell this summer, but claims the door is open for the Catalans to swoop

229569_thumb.jpg

Song: I'm lucky to play alongside Messi at Barcelona
The midfielder realises he is in a privileged position playing alongside the world's best and insists he will not be leaving the club anytime soon

59450_thumb.jpg

Karembeu backs Del Bosque for Real Madrid job
The Frenchman has admitted that he would love to see the Spain boss return to his former club and has urged Iker Casillas to remain patient

268835_thumb.jpg

Mascherano resumes Barcelona training
The versatile midfielder is on his way back after a five-week spell on the sidelines and could return to action before the end of the season

278639_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid ideal for Ronaldo, says Karanka
The assistant coach feels that los Blancos offer the prolific attacker the perfect conditions to flourish and has defended Jose Mourinho's decision to drop Pepe

277303_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo reaches 200 goals for Real Madrid with Malaga strike
The Portuguese missed a penalty in the Liga match at home to Malaga on Wednesday, but netted soon afterwards to bring up a double century of strikes at the Spanish side

278476_thumb.jpg

Busquets hits back at Mourinho jibe
The Barcelona midfielder says his side are ready to beat Atletico on Sunday to secure La Liga and has insisted that he has no intention of leaving the club

257109_thumb.jpg

Galliani: Puyol is too old for Milan
The Rossoneri vice-president has denied rumours that the 35-year-old could be on his way to San Siro, citing his side's preference for younger players

237909_thumb.jpg

Falcao: Give Ferguson a round of applause
The Atletico Madrid star praised the Scot for his "amazing career" after he announced he would leave his position as Manchester United coach this summer

278428_thumb.jpg

Barcelona stars pay tribute to 'legend' Ferguson
Gerard Pique, Daniel Alves, Sergio Busquets and Cristian Tello salute the retiring Manchester United boss' time at the top in the wake of the announcement he his retiring

255196_thumb.jpg

'Thanks for everything, Boss' - Cristiano Ronaldo pays tribute to Sir Alex
The Real Madrid star has joined the legions declaring their gratitude for the Manchester United manager's support, thanking the 71-year-old for his help

257118_thumb.jpg

Puyol dismisses AC Milan links
The defender has denied reports that he is set to leave Barcelona for the Serie A powerhouse in the summer transfer window

249811_thumb.jpg

Bebeto's son could snub Juventus for Real Madrid
The promising youngster appeared to be on his way to Turin come December 2013 but his father has confirmed the door to La Liga remains open

273758_thumb.jpg

Abidal disappointed with Barcelona, says agent
The experienced defender is running out of patience as question marks remain over his future at Camp Nou

160581_thumb.jpg

Casillas is the best goalkeeper in the world, says Michel
The former Madrid midfielder has voiced his dismay with Jose Mourinho's growing list of "controversies" and has nothing but praise for Geoffrey Kondogbia

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Barca on brink of another title

9 May 2013

319806header.jpg

Barcelona can confirm their second consecutive La Liga title in Madrid if they win at Atletico on Sunday.

The Catalan club are unbeaten in the league since their 2-1 defeat at Real Madrid in March and have built an eight-point lead over their rivals.

With Real having just three games remaining, compared to Barca's four, a victory at the Vincente Calderon will give them an unassailable lead, irrelevant of the result of Real's trip to Espanyol.

Lionel Messi, who has been struggling with a hamstring injury since the beginning of April and looked on from as a substitute as his side crashed out of the UEFA Champions League to Bayern Munich, came off the bench on Sunday to help secure all three points against Real Betis.

Trailing 2-1 at half time, David Villa scored an equaliser before being replaced by Messi for the last 34 minutes.

The Argentine forward went on to score twice, his 45th and 46th league goals of the season and the 21st straight La Liga match in which he has scored, to seal a 4-2 win for Tito Vilanova's side.

The title will be Vilanova's first at the helm after he took over from Pep Guardiola last summer.

Atletico secured third place and a spot in next season's Champions League with a 3-1 victory at Celta Vigo on Wednesday and still harbour slim hopes of overhauling Real Madrid in second, sitting eight points adrift with three to play.

Real Madrid make the opposite trip to Barcelona as they visit Espanyol on Sunday.

Real look certain to finish second in La Liga after hammering nine-man Malaga 6-2 on Wednesday, their sixth-straight league win.

That match saw Cristiano Ronaldo score his 200th goal for the club, as well as miss a penalty, and Jose Mourinho will be keen for his side to continue their impressive form ahead of the Copa del Rey final against city rivals Atletico next Friday.

Elsewhere, the battle for the fourth and final Champions League position will take another turn when Valencia, two points and one place behind fourth-placed Real Sociedad, travel to Rayo Vallecano on Sunday before Sociedad host Granada on Monday night.

And Malaga will be keen to bounce back from their heavy defeat in the capital on Wednesday and tighten their grip on sixth place when they face Sevilla at home Sunday, although Manuel Pellegrini's side will not be able to take their place in the UEFA Europa League next season following a ban for irregular finances.

At the foot of the table, just four points separate the bottom five clubs.

Bottom side Mallorca, on 29 points and four adrift of safety, travel to Athletic Bilbao on Saturday while the two other teams occupying the relegation zone are also on the road; Deportivo La Coruna visit mid-table Real Valladolid and Celta Vigo go to Real Betis, who are in prime position to profit from Malaga's inability to play in Europe next year.

Real Zaragoza and Osasuna both sit one point above the drop zone. Zaragoza can pile on the pressure to those teams below them when they get the weekend's matches started on Friday night at Levante and Osasuna welcome eighth-placed Getafe on Saturday.