• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wednesday August 5 2015

De Gea to be benched by Man Utd?

By Football Espana staff

de-gea-everton490epa_2.jpg

Reports from England suggest David De Gea will be dropped by Manchester United for their opening Premier League game.

United begin the domestic season at home to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday and De Gea has been the subject of a long-running link to Real Madrid.

Louis Van Gaal has suggested De Gea wants to move to Santiago Bernabeu while it’s also claimed in the Press that the manager isn’t happy with De Gea’s summer performances.

Sergio Romero has been signed on a free transfer and he could take the gloves - ahead of Victor Valdes, with whom Van Gaal has had a falling out.

Van Gaal has not yet made up his mind, it’s said, and has previously insisted De Gea would start the season at Old Trafford.

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham boss Pochettino wants new striker

mauricio-pochettino-southampton-tottenham-premier-league-25052015_ayj1eugcc02b1kewn17vp6t0e.jpg

By Peter Thompson
Aug 5, 2015 09:18:00

The Spurs boss admits he may need to bring another forward to White Hart Lane to ease the pressure on Harry Kane following the youngster's outstanding breakthrough 2014-15 season

Mauricio Pochettino is looking to add some firepower to his Tottenham side just a few days before the start of the new Premier League season.

The North London club were reliant on Harry Kane last season as the England international scored 21 Premier League goals in an outstanding breakthrough campaign.

However, Roberto Soldado and Emmanuel Adebayor have both been linked with moves away from White Hart Lane ahead of the new season after disappointing seasons.

Spurs face a trip to big-spending Manchester United on Saturday, and head coach Pochettino is aware that he is short of options in attack.

"It is true we have Harry and maybe we need to bring another striker in," the Argentine is quoted as telling the Daily Mirror.

The Argentine also stressed that he has no concerns over the fitness of Kane, who has again been linked with United, after the 22-year-old featured for his country in the European Under-21 Championship.

"I am not worried about Harry," he added. "He came back after the Euros late in his preparations but I am not worried.

"He is ready to compete on Saturday against Manchester United."

Gareth Bale was on target against his former club on Tuesday as Real Madrid consigned Tottenham to a 2-0 defeat at the Allianz Arena to reach the Audi Cup final.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke City dealt Shawcross injury blow

ryanshawcross-cropped_8i76fndbw362173ylo80oqb2c.jpg

By Jack Davies
Aug 6, 2015 16:31:35

Mark Hughes must plan without the defender, who must undergo surgery in order to correct a back injury

Stoke City are set to be without Ryan Shawcross for the beginning of the Premier League season after it was confirmed that the defender requires back surgery.

The Potters captain is due to go under the knife next week, having suffered a recurrence of an issue that hampered him last season, and is expected to be out of action for two months.

It had been hoped that surgery would not be required, but Shawcross has been unable to shake off the problem during the close-season break.

Stoke kick off their Premier League season at home to Liverpool on Sunday.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham boss Pochettino coy on Berahino link

mauricio-pochettino-southampton-tottenham-premier-league-25052015_ayj1eugcc02b1kewn17vp6t0e.jpg

By Ryan Kelly
Aug 7, 2015 14:43:29

The Spurs manager did not comment on the West Brom attacker, but conceded that the Londoners are in the market for a "private" target

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has refused to be drawn on reports linking Saido Berahino with a move to White Hart Lane.

Speaking ahead of his side's Premier League opener against Manchester United, Pochettino remained coy on suggestions that he was close to securing the services of the West Bromwich Albion attacker.

However, while refusing to comment on Berahino, the Argentine did admit that the club had a "private" target and that they would like to wrap up a deal soon.

"I never speak about rumours. If you check the last few weeks, a lot of names are linked with us," Pochettino told reporters.

"But this is private, our target, and I hope it can happen quick."

Meanwhile, Andros Townsend faces a late fitness test ahead of Saturday's clash against Manchester United on Saturday.

The winger has not featured throughout pre-season due to a shoulder injury, but has moved closer to full fitness in recent weeks.

Tottenham travel to Old Trafford for the first match of the 2015-16 campaign and Pochettino says he will give the 24-year-old as much time as possible to make his squad.

Townsend is not the only injury concern for Pochettino, but there was more positive news on the likes of Hugo Lloris and Ryan Mason.

"We have a good feeling for Hugo and Ryan, maybe not to compete for 90 minutes, but to be in the squad," he said.

"We need to assess them in the last training session today."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal keen to strengthen squad after Di Maria exit

1749682_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Aug 7, 2015 14:20:00

Following the completion of the winger's move to Paris Saint-Germain on Thursday, the club continue to be linked to a number of attack-minded players

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says Angel Di Maria's move to Paris Saint-Germain represents a "big loss" for the club, and hinted that he may be in the market for a replacement.

The Argentina international made the switch to France, having missed United's pre-season tour of the USA, bringing an end to a disappointing one-season spell at Old Trafford.

Barcelona forward Pedro is reportedly United's top target, and van Gaal admits that while the "problem" of selling Di Maria has been solved, his exit has left a void in his squad.

"Di Maria, we have solved that problem but it is for us a big loss," he said.

"When I say I want more attackers with speed and creativity, Di Maria is one of those players so we have to look for those kinds of players."

Di Maria managed just three goals in 27 Premier League appearances last term, and Van Gaal believes that his exit was the best for all parties.

"He started very well," he added. "That is not the problem.

"He had a very good start. He knows the answer better than I know but it happens and then there is only one solution, what he has done.

"Of course they [players from abroad] have to have the talent to cope with the English rhythm and that is difficult to find.

"That is mostly also why players are not having success in this competition because of the rhythm of the game.

"The English culture is another culture from the Latin culture. You never know. As a manager you never know."

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depay handed Manchester United No.7 shirt

1681942_heroa.jpg

Aug 7, 2015 13:00:00

The summer signing from PSV Eindhoven will don the jersey previously worn by the likes of Robson, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo at Old Trafford

Memphis Depay has been handed Manchester United's iconic No. 7 shirt following the departure of Angel Di Maria to Paris Saint-Germain, the club confirmed on Friday.

The Dutchman, who arrived from PSV in a deal worth around £22.3 million this summer, takes on the number previously worn by club legends including Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Bastian Schweinsteiger will wear the same number 31 he used at Bayern Munich, with Marouane Fellaini taking on the No.27 shirt to allow the Germany captain his favoured shirt.

Meanwhile, fellow new additions Morgan Schneiderlin and Matteo Darmian will wear No.28 and No.36 respectively, the same shirts they were handed during United's pre-season tour of the USA.

There are notable changes elsewhere, with Luke Shaw taking up his preferred number 23 shirt, which he wore both as a Southampton player and at the 2014 World Cup with England. Meanwhile, striker James Wilson has swapped number 49 for 19.

David de Gea retains the No.1 shirt, despite his manager revealing on Friday that he will not start Saturday's clash with Tottenham at Old Trafford, with Sergio Romero - his possible replacement - being handed the No.20 shirt.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal axes De Gea: Real Madrid target not in the right frame of mind

1746132_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Aug 7, 2015 10:33:00

The Manchester United boss has added fuel to the transfer speculation surrounding the goalkeeper as he has confirmed he will not feature in their opening Premier League clash

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed that goalkeeper David de Gea will not face Tottenham at Old Trafford on Saturday.

The goalkeeper has been long linked to a move to Real Madrid and the speculation surrounding his future has only intensified as the summer transfer window has worn on.

Van Gaal has already suggested that the De Gea wants to leave Old Trafford, and the coach has now admitted the goalkeeper is not in the right frame of mind heading into the new campaign and will miss his side's Premier League opener against Mauricio Pochettino's men.

"De Gea shall not play, so I don't have any concerns," he told reporters.

"You know that we have problems with De Gea. The Dutch journalists can confirm that I think a human being is more than only a player and he cannot manage that."

The development will add further fuel to the rumours surrounding the Spain international as the transfer saga continues, while it is expected that new signing Sergio Romero will play in goal against Spurs.

While the Dutchman says his side have no injury worries approaching their first league game, he has revealed that new signing Bastian Schweinsteiger and defender Marcos Rojo are not fit enough to feature on Saturday.

"Schweinsteiger also came at the last moment so I don't think he's fit enough. We have to build his fitness.

"It is not possible for Rojo to be match fit either as he was the last player to come back from holiday."

Despite the key absences, Van Gaal feels the Red Devils are in much better shape this year.

"I think that we are far better now than last year when we started, so I have a lot of confidence.

"When we play in the same style and at the same level as the last six months of last season, then we can make a good year."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini keen to move on from Pep talk

manuelpellegrini-cropped_9zhu7kwog7z1ld7ua2oikptu.jpg

By Ryan Kelly
Aug 7, 2015 14:40:15

Having signed a new contract at Manchester City, Manuel Pellegrini is eager to move on from talk that Pep Guardiola could take his job

Manuel Pellegrini says he grew accustomed to rumours linking Pep Guardiola with Manchester City but insists that his full focus is on the new season after signing a contract with the club.

The Chilean put pen to paper on a new two-year contract on Friday after fresh reports surfaced suggesting Guardiola - whose Bayern Munich deal expires in 2016 - would swap the Bundesliga for the Premier League next year.

With his future tied up, Pellegrini says that it is important for him to deliver this season.

"I was used to the speculation but now it is important to focus on the season," said Pellegrini. "I am happy here at Manchester City. I know in this profession you need results. It is important to have a good season.

"For me the first season was more difficult than last. We had to replace a manager [Roberto Mancini] that the fans loved who had won titles.

"Last season was strange what happened after January [when City fell away in the title race].

"I hope this year we return to being a successful winning team."

Meanwhile, David Silva and Samir Nasri are set to be available for City's opening Premier League game against West Bromwich Albion.

Doubts hung over the fitness of the duo, but they will be in Pellegrini's squad for the game, which takes place at the Hawthorns on Monday. Sergio Aguero is also expected to be available for selection, while Pablo Zabaleta, Martin Demichelis and Fernandinho have been passed fit.

However, Gael Clichy and new signing Fabian Delph remain sidelined, as they recover from ankle and hamstring injuries respectively.

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

McClaren calls for statement of intent against Southampton

stevemcclaren-cropped_nq9hs53nnacx1ccsozxucoxhd.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Aug 7, 2015 14:45:00

The former England head coach - who was dismissed by Derby County in May - is under no illusions about the size of the task he faces at St. James' Park this season

Newcastle United manager Steve McClaren has called for his side to issue a statement of intent against Southampton in Sunday's Premier League opener.

The game will be McClaren's first competitive fixture at St James' Park, and could see him call on close-season signings Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba and Georginio Wijnaldum.

Having flirted with relegation under John Carver last season, McClaren wants to usher in a new era on Tyneside with a positive showing.

"I think every season is like that," he said. "You feel it around the city and you feel it around the players and the training ground.

"We want it to be different and it needs to be. The messages from the club over the past few weeks have been very clear, a statement of intent, following up from the owner’s words, with three very good signings and maybe more on the way.

"We've got to make that statement on the field now. It’s going to be different, a different style, different football and everybody has got to be able to adapt.

"Every season is a fresh start but for Newcastle United it’s a welcome one. The pressure is on me from the outset, without a shadow of a doubt."

Mitrovic and Mbemba may miss out this weekend due to a lack of match fitness, while Southampton have an unusual injury concern over manager Ronald Koeman.

The Dutchman injured his achilles in training earlier this week and, while he was present for their Uefa Europa League progression at Vitesse on Thursday, brother and assistant manager Erwin was on post-match media duties.

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Brendan Rodgers explains decision to make James Milner vice-captain

1673972_heroa.jpg

By Ryan Grant
Aug 7, 2015 15:32:00

The versatile winger joined the club from Manchester City earlier this summer, and was named as Jordan Henderson's understudy during a press conference on Friday

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has explained his decision to appoint James Milner as the club's vice-captain.

The summer addition will provide back-up to Jordan Henderson, who was given the armband last month following the departure of Steven Gerrard to LA Galaxy.

Milner has impressed during pre-season, earning the admiration of both his team-mates and the Reds boss.

Rodgers told reporters: “He is someone I admired from the outside for a long time. He’s played at this level since he was 16 years of age and has played for some fantastic clubs.

“He went to Man City and did a great job and when the possibility he was going to be available, obviously you’re surprised but then you’re hoping you can get him to come to your club because he’s the type of player who gives everything.

“His actual football talent has probably gone under the radar because he’s played around some outstanding talents, but this is a guy who works tirelessly at his game.

"He’s in here at 7.45am in the morning making sure he’s prepared for his training, getting all of his food supplements and getting everything correct before training – he’s in two-and-a-half hours before he trains and then does his work, gives his maximum. He prepares himself like an elite player should.

“He’s also got big character and a big mentality, and I felt we needed that in the team to the extent where he will be the vice-captain this year.

“Jordan has been appointed the captain, but he’ll be a great ally for him because he leads by example. James is a wonderful, wonderful footballer and a big personality in the dressing room as well.

“His commitment, his qualities, how dynamic he is on the training field and how demanding he is of other players. That in terms of the captaincy and vice-captaincy can work really well for us.”

Liverpool lost 6-1 against Stoke on the final day of the 2014-15 campaign, a result Rodgers is keen to avenge on Sunday.

“We will certainly be better than where we were last year,” Rodgers added.

“That was a one off game. It was incredible how we were lacking in every aspect of football. A score like that should never happen, sometimes it does, but it was more the way it happened.

“I stood there and it wasn’t comfortable. The reaction over the course of the summer has been terrific. It gives us real motivation. I feel we couldn’t have had a better fixture. It is the perfect fixture to go away to Stoke.”

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: Gnabry joins West Brom on loan

444765_heroa.jpg

By Ryan Grant
Aug 7, 2015 15:35:00

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is keen to see German youth team player gain experience, following a long injury setback last season

Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry has completed a season-long loan move to West Brom.

Gnabry has now recovered from the serious knee injury which forced him to miss all of the 2014-15 campaign, and having not featured for the Gunners since March of last year.

The 20-year-old has made 18 appearances for Arsenal since joining from Stuttgart in 2011 and becomes Tony Pulis' fourth summer signing, following the additions of Rickie Lambert, James McClean and James Chester.

The German under-21 international will now hope to make his debut when the Baggies face Manchester City on Monday.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mirallas signs new Everton deal

kevinmirallas-cropped_8eargd4upx4dzf51wf8qh510.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Aug 7, 2015 16:40:00

The 27-year-old has followed James McCarthy in signing a new contract at Goodison Park ahead of the new Premier League season

Everton forward Kevin Mirallas has agreed a new three-year deal at the club, ending speculation regarding a move away from Goodison Park.

The Belgian international has been linked with Premier League rivals West Ham and Tottenham in recent months but is now under contract on Merseyside until 2018.

Mirallas' renewal comes a day after James McCarthy signed a new five-year deal, and the attacker has expressed his delight, ahead of the Toffees' Premier League opener against Watford on Saturday.

"I'm very happy to sign," he told the club's official website.

"I've signed at Everton to win a trophy. I'm at a good team and I can continue my performances here.

"Now I am very happy because I can concentrate on my team and our future, starting with the Premier League tomorrow."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Southampton boss Koeman undergoes successful surgery

1747752_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Aug 7, 2015 18:25:00

The Dutchman enjoyed a successful season in charge of the Saints in 2014-15 but will be sidelined for their Premier League opener as he recovers from work on his Achilles

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has provided fans with an update on his Achilles injury after having surgery on Friday.

The 52-year-old suffered the injury during training earlier in the week but took his place in the dugout - albeit with crutches - for Thursday's Europa League win against Vitesse.

Having confirmed the injury on Twitter earlier this week, Koeman has since provided a positive update, posting a picture of himself in a hospital bed with his thumbs up, declaring that the procedure had gone well.

While he recovers from the surgery, Koeman will miss his side's Premier League opener against Newcastle on Saturday. His assistant and brother, Erwin, will take charge at St James's Park.

The former Netherlands international led Southampton to a seventh-placed finish in his first season in England.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea City must not rely on Ayew - Monk

andreayew-cropped_1vl1eu6i12de71cwsonh763pmm.jpg

By Jack Davies
Aug 6, 2015 19:45:17

The Ghana international forward joined the Welsh club on a free transfer from Marseille earlier this summer but the manager warns against too much expectation on one man

Swansea City cannot pin their Premier League hopes on new signing Andre Ayew producing the goods, warns manager Garry Monk.

Ayew arrived in south Wales from Marseille in June following the expiry of his contract with the Ligue 1 club, scoring in a friendly against Nottingham Forest in July.

But Monk insists that Swansea must continue to perform as a team if they are to match last season's record-breaking achievement of finishing eighth with 56 points.

"[Ayew] has all the credentials, skill and ability to do well," the Swans boss told reporters. "He's a great calibre of signing but it's not down to one man to produce everything.

"He'll be working with the team and his quality and experience will help us.

"It helps the squad become competitive which we want in every position and it's probably the first season I can remember we've had that.

"There are some more offensive, some more defensive and some have a mixture... and we will select the players in how we want to approach the particular games."

Swansea kick off their season at champions Chelsea on Saturday.

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew not expecting more Crystal Palace additions

alanpardew-cropped_azrr2jlzq3yh1409m1cpokbch.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Aug 6, 2015 18:15:15

The former Newcastle United boss says that he is happy with his current squad and doubts that he will add to the panel

Alan Pardew is not expecting any more arrivals at Crystal Palace and says it is more likely that players will leave Selhurst Park.

Bakary Sako signed a three-year deal on Friday to become Palace's fifth signing of the transfer window, which closes on September 1, following Patrick Bamford, Yohan Cabaye, Alex McCarthy and Connor Wickham.

Speaking ahead of Saturday's Premier League opener against Norwich City, Pardew has no plans to enter the re-enter the market.

"I doubt it [that he'll make any more signings]," said the Palace boss. "I'm very happy with what I've got.

"We're going to be very, very strong off the bench this season. There will be temptation for me to change things, but it must be right."

Pardew also refused to rule out selling Dwight Gayle, who has been linked with a move to Championship side Middlesbrough, but insists that the striker will not leave cheaply.

"There may be some players moved out," Pardew added. "Dwight Gayle will not go anywhere unless his valuation is met."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Manchester United need two players... including a goalkeeper

david-de-gea-louis-van-gaal-manchester-united_1irypn8ktnvb61wnin5sd7d3uv.jpg

Aug 7, 2015 17:20:00

The 63-year-old revealed David de Gea will play no part against Tottenham on Saturday and hinted he may be forced to look elsewhere for a replacement

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal admits he may have to add two players to his squad before the end of the transfer window, including a goalkeeper.

The Dutchman confirmed on Friday that David de Gea - who is reportedly a target for Real Madrid - will not feature in Saturday's Premier League opener against Tottenham at Old Trafford.

And Van Gaal, who has already added five players to the United side this summer, says the current situation could see him in the market for a goalkeeper.

“I think Manchester United have to always be a challenger or champion," he told the club's official TV channel.

“Of course we have problems still with the goalkeeper, so we need maybe two more players.”

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Howson signs new four-year Norwich City contract

jonnyhowson-cropped_15xok2f04ul591th3t7upmtyi2.jpg

By Matthew Scott
Aug 6, 2015 21:45:28

The 27-year-old midfielder is excited about continuing his efforts with Alex Neil's side after their successful promotion campaign via the Championship play-offs last season

Jonny Howson has committed himself to Norwich City, signing a new four-year deal with the Premier League club.

The midfielder's previous contract had two seasons to run but the Canaries have moved swiftly to tie down one of their longest-serving players.

Since moving to Carrow Road from Leeds United in 2012, Howson has made 110 appearances and the 27-year-old is eager to hit the ground running, having helped Norwich to play-off glory in the Championship last term.

He told the club's official website: "I'm really pleased, especially after last season going so well.

"Since the manager has come in, everyone knows how well we've done and I'm excited to remain a part of that.

"That's not to say it's going to be simple because you always have to keep working hard. If everyone does that then I'm sure we'll have a good season. We had the highs of last year but, as soon as we came in during pre-season, it was about getting underway again.

"We're all really looking forward to it, as I'm sure everyone associated with the club is. It's a very difficult league so we've got to all pull in the same direction and hopefully we can get off to a good start against Crystal Palace."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benteke hits back at Sherwood & Keane criticism: I can adapt at Liverpool

christianbenteke-cropped_ui5rierdbt5d1h2178bsejah2.jpg

By Michael Huguenin
Aug 7, 2015 08:53:02

The Aston Villa boss said the striker would not perform well "where they don't cross the ball" while the club's former assistant claimed a lack of commitment at training

Christian Benteke has dismissed criticism of his ability from two former coaches as he prepares to make his Premier League debut for Liverpool.

Benteke scored his first goal for the Reds on Sunday with a stunning volley in a 2-1 friendly win over Swindon Town, and the striker is confident he "can produce the goals" in the club's Champions League bid.

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood declared in May that Benteke should not go to a club "where they don't cross the ball" but the £32.5 million signing rejected the notion he is one-dimensional.

"I don't believe that what he said is true and I told him that," Benteke told the Liverpool Echo. "I spoke with him and I explained the situation. I said football has changed and is now more modern and I can adapt.

"It is not just about crossing, I can score normal goals too. I told him I am not afraid about it. If Liverpool bought me then they know how to use me. That's why I came here - I'll show I can play with my feet too."

Benteke scored at a ratio of a goal-per-game for his last 11 Premier League matches with Villa as he helped the outfit avoid relegation following Sherwood's appointment.

The 24-year-old left Villa Park with 42 league goals in 89 games but former Villa assistant coach Roy Keane has previously claimed Benteke will not make it at the top level due to a lack of commitment at training.

"He can say what he wants," Benteke responded. "I don't want to be arrogant but since I came to England I've proved I wasn't a bad player."

Benteke added that he understands there will be a different type of pressure with Liverpool compared to Villa - "here it's the pressure to be at the top" - but remains confident he can thrive.

"Of course I want to get into the Champions League. I can help Liverpool do that," he said.

Liverpool will open their Premier League campaign against Stoke City on Sunday.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Chelsea don't miss Cech!

petrcech-cropped_1leou8sj37ohm1govwqv6k3jn1.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Aug 10, 2015 07:26:55

The Blues will be forced to start Asmir Begovic after Thibaut Courtois was sent off against Swansea City, but the manager believes they will be fine without their former goalkeeper

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho insisted the Premier League champions do not miss former shot stopper Petr Cech as back-up goalkeeper Asmir Begovic prepares to make his full debut for the club.

Cech ended his 11-year association with Chelsea by joining London rivals Arsenal after being consigned to a bench role behind Thibaut Courtois at Stamford Bridge last season.

Begovic, who was recruited to fill the void left by Cech, is set to be thrust into action against Manchester City following Courtois' red card during Chelsea's 2-2 draw at home to Swansea City and Mourinho has complete faith in the Bosnian in the absence of Chelsea's regular number one.

"We don't miss Petr," Mourinho said. "We've got a good keeper, the problem with Petr is not that we miss him because we have two excellent keepers.

"The problem with Petr is that an opponent is better than before.

"Thibaut and Asmir are two fantastic keepers. My club did very well by getting a keeper on time and not on August 31.

"If my club gives me a keeper on August 31, then we have a problem not just for today but also for the next match. Unless the people understand that it's not a red card and they clear the suspension."