• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger refuses to blame Cech after costly errors

1759102_heroa.jpg

By Greg Stobart at the Emirates Stadium
Aug 9, 2015 16:30:00

Arsenal's new signing was at fault for both goals as the Gunners slipped to a 2-0 defeat to West Ham in their season opener - but the manager insisted he would not apportion blame

Arsene Wenger refused to blame Petr Cech for two errors that led to West Ham seeing off Arsenal in their opening Premier League clash of the season.

Cech was at fault for both goals as he missed a punch to allow Cheikhou Kouyate to head into an empty net before Mauro Zarate beat him at his near post from long-range in the second half.

"It was a collective lapse," Wenger said of Kouyate's opener. "There are many things to say about that.

"I knew that if the delivery was good, we were in trouble before the free-kick was taken. The concentration and organisation was not there from the set-piece -too far from our goal, too much distance to run into, we killed ourselves.

"I haven’t spoken to him [Cech] yet. I can’t see many individual convincing performances today so it’s difficult to single one out.

"Our passing was not incisive enough. Today we have to look at ourselves. We were not good enough."

Arsenal kicked off their 2015-16 campaign as many people's favourites for the title following their capture of Cech from rivals Chelsea - a signing many thought would help bring experience and quality to the Gunners' backline.

Indeed, upon his arrival, Wenger was quoted in July saying: "He has an intimidating presence, that's for sure. He makes the goals look small. That's the kind of charisma he has."

However, Cech - relegated to second choice at Chelsea throughout last season - looked ill-at-ease as West Ham put the hosts to the sword.

Wenger, though, insisted there would be no panic - and again refused to be drawn on reports of an imminent move for Real Madrid frontman Karim Benzema.

"I can only repeat what I’ve said. If an exceptional solution turns up, we will do it. But we must not the mistake of looking outside for solutions because of this result," he added.

"It’s difficult but it’s part of our job. A successful team is down to how you respond to difficult moments. It’s never a clear motorway and we have a difficult start to the season."

Pardew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City launch £45m De Bruyne bid

1759122_heroa.jpg

Aug 9, 2015 15:00:00

Manuel Pellegrini's side are determined to get their man and have put the ball in Wolfsburg's court with a tempting offer that includes £40m up front and £5m of guaranteed add-ons

GOAL By Paul ClennamManchester City have tabled a £45 million offer for Wolfsburg winger Kevin De Bruyne, Goal understands.

The offer comprises of £40m up front, with £5m of guaranteed add-ons, as Manuel Pellegrini's side look to finally seal a deal for the Belgian international, whom they have tracked for the majority of the summer.

Goal understands City are keen to push through the deal in the coming days and have thus arranged for a flight to England to be on stand-by for the former Chelsea star, who was named Bundesliga player of the year for last season.

Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs insisted on August 1 that De Bruyne was "99.9%" certain to stay put but conceded that the club would listen to the offer should City make their move.

And Pellegrini's side now look likely to get their man, with Goal reporting on Wednesday that De Bruyne's camp met with the German club to express the player's desire to leave for the Etihad Stadium.

De Bruyne, who has excelled with Wolfsburg following his £18m move from Chelsea in 2014, started and scored for Dieter Hecking's side in Saturday's German Cup clash against Stuttgarter Kickers.

That could be his final appearance in a Wolfsburg shirt, however, with City desperate to get the deal over the line as they look to add to the summer arrivals of Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph, Enes Unal, and Patrick Roberts.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City launch £45m De Bruyne bid

leightonbaines-cropped_wgoq4rz5jnxf13hob1ae0v7k0.jpg

Aug 9, 2015 15:00:00

Manuel Pellegrini's side are determined to get their man and have put the ball in Wolfsburg's court with a tempting offer that includes £40m up front and £5m of guaranteed add-ons

GOAL By Paul ClennamManchester City have tabled a £45 million offer for Wolfsburg winger Kevin De Bruyne, Goal understands.

The offer comprises of £40m up front, with £5m of guaranteed add-ons, as Manuel Pellegrini's side look to finally seal a deal for the Belgian international, whom they have tracked for the majority of the summer.

Goal understands City are keen to push through the deal in the coming days and have thus arranged for a flight to England to be on stand-by for the former Chelsea star, who was named Bundesliga player of the year for last season.

Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs insisted on August 1 that De Bruyne was "99.9%" certain to stay put but conceded that the club would listen to the offer should City make their move.

And Pellegrini's side now look likely to get their man, with Goal reporting on Wednesday that De Bruyne's camp met with the German club to express the player's desire to leave for the Etihad Stadium.

De Bruyne, who has excelled with Wolfsburg following his £18m move from Chelsea in 2014, started and scored for Dieter Hecking's side in Saturday's German Cup clash against Stuttgarter Kickers.

That could be his final appearance in a Wolfsburg shirt, however, with City desperate to get the deal over the line as they look to add to the summer arrivals of Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph, Enes Unal, and Patrick Roberts.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger rules out panic buys

10 August 2015

890977header.jpg

Arsene Wenger has ruled out rushing into the transfer market after Arsenal's shock defeat to West Ham unless he can bring in an "exceptional" new signing.

Petr Cech is the only new face to arrive at the Emirates Stadium during the transfer window and the goalkeeper endured a miserable Premier League debut on Sunday for his new club following his switch from Chelsea.

Cech flapped at a Dimitri Payet free-kick just before half-time to allow West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate to nip in front of him and head into an empty net.

The Czech Republic goalkeeper was then beaten too easily at his near post by a long-range Mauro Zarate strike in the second half, as West Ham ended an eight-year wait for a win over Arsenal by securing a surprise 2-0 victory.

Arsenal have been linked with a big-money move for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema, while Chelsea goalkeeper coach Christophe Lollichon is also reportedly a target.

Wenger, however, is not planning a knee-jerk reaction to such a disappointing start to the Premier League campaign.

He said: "I would like to think that we are responsible to buy the players and the coaches, not the media. When you're a pro footballer, you have to face your responsibilities and not always look at something else.

"We have to look at ourselves and think we were not good enough [against West Ham] and not to think that these kinds of things are solutions for us.

"We were not good enough, we were not convincing. And that's basically it. West Ham played well. Congratulations to them and hopefully we can bounce back quickly.

"Again, I can only repeat what I already said. If an exceptional solution turns up, we'll do it. But after a defeat like that, it's important not always to think we take a solution from outside."

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis: I´ll take the blame for City defeat

tonypulis-cropped_t9fq6s1uyf3r1o718035aacz5.jpg

Tony Pulis took full responsibility for West Brom's 3-0 Premier League defeat at home to Manchester City.

Two goals from Yaya Toure and a third from Vincent Kompany gave City a deserved season-opening victory at The Hawthorns, with the hosts rarely threatening to trouble their visitors' dominance.

And Pulis, who started with Saido Berahino and debutant Rickie Lambert up front, admitted he got his tactics wrong, leaving his side susceptible to City's considerable attacking prowess.

"I take responsibility for the way we set up," he told Sky Sports.

"The fact we had Saido and Rickie, who played really well together, pulled us away from what we should do. I said to them afterwards I'd take responsibility for that one.

"If I had my time again, I'd probably do it differently, but that's management.

"There are certain things we have to stick by and certain principles we have to work alongside to get results at this level and I've gone away from that a little bit tonight.

"I was really pleased with the way they worked, they worked really hard

"We created quite a few chances as well but we were far too loose as a team.

"You have to give credit to City. They were the better team tonight."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ideye, Anichebe may leave West Brom

891416header.jpg

West Brom duo Brown Ideye and Victor Anichebe could leave the club after Jose Salomon Rondon's arrival.

Rondon, a club-record £12million signing from Zenit, was ineligible for Monday's 3-0 Premier League loss to Manchester City.

But the signing of the 25-year-old is likely to lead to departures, with one of – or both – of Ideye and Anichebe potentially leaving.

West Brom manager Tony Pulis said he was unsure whether it would speed up the transfers.

"Obviously Victor and Browny - people will look at them and think they have to now move on, but I think they've wanted to play more regular football anyway," he said after the loss.

"The fact we're bringing Salomon in - does it hasten their move from the football club? We'll have to wait and see."

Pulis took responsibility for West Brom's loss as a Yaya Toure brace and Vincent Kompany goal saw City to a comfortable win.

The 57-year-old said he had erred in starting both Saido Berahino and Rickie Lambert.

"Sometimes as a manager, you hold your hand up," Pulis said.

"I wanted to play Saido and Rickie tonight, but it had gone against everything I've ever done against the bigger teams.

"We've always filled the midfield and been strong, what we did really in truth was allow [David] Silva too much room in the first half and he completely dominated the game, he controlled the game and I take responsibility.

"It's not the players, it's me on that one."

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Koeman welcomes Rodriguez return

10 August 2015

891149header.jpg

Southampton assistant manager Erwin Koeman praised the performance of Jay Rodriguez after he made his long-awaited return from a serious knee injury against Newcastle United on Sunday.

England international Rodriguez had not played in a competitive fixture for 16 months after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in a Premier League fixture against Manchester City in April 2014.

The forward featured regularly throughout pre-season, though, and managed 65 minutes in the 2-2 draw at St James' Park before being replaced by Shane Long - who scored a 79th-minute equaliser.

Koeman, who was standing in for brother and manager Ronald after he underwent Achilles surgery last week, was delighted to see Rodriguez back in action.

"I think for him it was a big victory to start. He trained already for six weeks with us and he makes some minutes so he was ready for it," Koeman said.

"After that long period, maybe 15 or 16 months without a game, I have to say he did very well."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea appeal Courtois red card

10 August 2015

891250header.jpg

Chelsea have appealed the red card shown to goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Swansea City, Omnisport understands.

Courtois was dismissed for bringing down Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis in the 52nd minute at Stamford Bridge - the Frenchman duly dusting himself down to hit the visitors' second equaliser of the match.

Asmir Begovic took over goalkeeping duties from the Belgium keeper, and made two impressive saves from Jefferson Montero to preserve Chelsea's point.

But with a trip to title rivals Manchester City looming next weekend, Jose Mourinho is clearly keen to have his first choice back between the posts.

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Transfer window ´unfair´ - Martinez

891434header.jpg

Everton manager Roberto Martinez described the transfer window as "very unfair" as Chelsea's interest in John Stones persists.

Stones, 21, has been heavily linked to the Premier League champions throughout the close-season, but a £30million offer will reportedly be rejected.

Martinez is unhappy that the window is still open when the season has started, with transfers possible for English clubs until September 1.

"The window, when it is open and we have to prepare for official games, is very, very unfair. I don't think it is right," he told Sky Sports.

"I think we should have a period where we assemble our squad, and then once the first league game starts everyone is focused.

"I think we forget that footballers have a human side and it can really affect. Players like Stones and [Ross] Barkley have an incredible future and will attract interest from the outside."

The impressive Barkley scored during Everton's 2-2 draw with Watford on Saturday, and has also been linked with a move away.

Martinez talked up the England international and believes Barkley will become one of the best players in the Premier League.

"Ross is a phenomenal footballer, if you want to analyse him from a physical point of view, he's someone quite unique," the Spaniard said.

"When you bring in the technicality he has, the low balance, the symmetry he has, it's quite impressive.

"He’s taken a real learning curve from the last campaign, he's got a very important role, and he's someone that is a joy to work with.

"That personality and that maturity will make him one of the best players in the league, down to his personality."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schweinsteiger plans United Oktoberfest trip

10 August 2015 13:22

891075header.jpg

Bastian Schweinsteiger is keen to show his new Manchester United team-mates a good time in Munich, courtesy of a visit to Oktoberfest.

The renowned German beer festival is held annually in Munich and attracts visitors from around the world.

Schweinsteiger, signed from Bayern Munich last month, has proposed a team trip for United - but is unsure whether it will get the go-ahead from manager Louis van Gaal.

"I once said to Wayne [Rooney, United's captain], if we have the time, I want to invite the team to Oktoberfest," Schweinsteiger told Sky Deutschland.

"I do not know if we have that much time, and if it has the coach's approval."

Schweinsteiger made his competitive United debut as a second-half substitute in Saturday's 1-0 victory over Tottenham in their Premier League opener.

While Van Gaal's men were not at their best, Juan Mata reflected positively on the club's start to the season.

He wrote in his personal blog: "For now we have had a good start, which is always important.

"Last season we had a bad experience when we lost the first game at home against Swansea, and this time the team was really focused to have a different start. And so we did.

"As you could see, it was not a brilliant game but you can understand that, it being the first one, there's still a lack of rhythm.

"There were a few positive things apart from the score. Old Trafford saw the debut of many new players, and personally I think all of them had a good performance. It’s exciting to see how quickly they get settled and the warm welcome they got from our supporters."

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal 'doesn't trust' United target Cillessen - Schmeichel

vangaalcillessen-cropped_1gyixq2uk18s41s60hmzeh7dnv.jpg

By Harry West
Aug 11, 2015 15:42:16

The former Old Trafford favourite believes Louis van Gaal does not fully trust the Netherlands international and should instead target Hugo Lloris

Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel has called on the club to end their reported chase of Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen.

Speculation continues to mount that current number one David de Gea will move to Real Madrid, after Louis van Gaal left the Spaniard out of the squad for Saturday's Premier League opener against Tottenham.

Should De Gea depart, Cillessen is reported to be Van Gaal's top choice to replace him.

However, Schmeichel does not believe Van Gaal fully trusts his compatriot after replacing him with Tim Krul for Netherlands' penalty-shootout win against Costa Rica in the World Cup quarter-finals last year.

"Cillessen is a good goalkeeper, but [Van Gaal] took him off for the penalty shootout at the World Cup and that shows some kind of no trust," he told talkSPORT.

"I think he doesn't trust him 100 per cent and I wouldn't like a goalkeeper like that at Manchester United.

"If De Gea goes I would love [Tottenham keeper Hugo] Lloris to come to Manchester United. He has exactly the style of play and he is proven in the Premier League."

Schmeichel also expressed his disappointment that the saga over De Gea's potential move to Real has been allowed to go on into the new campaign.

He said: "If the player is not happy; his agent, himself and the club that want him should have sorted this a long time ago. It's sad that it's dragged into the season.

"I'd really like De Gea to stay. Two years running he's been player of the year. You don't let players like that go but if he wants to go, let him go and let Manchester United move on."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea's Courtois red card appeal unsuccessful

1762572_heroa.jpg

Aug 11, 2015 16:00:00

The 23-year-old was dismissed on the opening day of the new Premier League season and, after their appeal was rejected, will now serve a one-match ban

The Football Association have rejected Chelsea's appeal against the red card awarded to Thibaut Courtois during their 2-2 draw with Swansea City on Saturday.

The goalkeeper was given his marching orders by Michael Oliver having tripped Bafetimbi Gomis as he ran through on goal, and the Blues were hopeful the decision would be overturned.

But the FA felt there was not sufficient evidence to support their claim and the Belgium international will now miss Sunday's clash with Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.

A statement from the FA read: "A claim of wrongful dismissal submitted by Chelsea in relation to Thibaut Courtois has been unsuccessful following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing earlier today.

"The goalkeeper was dismissed for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity in the 52nd minute of Chelsea's game against Swansea City at Stamford Bridge on Saturday (8 August 2015).

"Therefore, the player's one-match suspension, which is the standard penalty for this offence, remains with immediate effect.

"For a club to be successful with a claim of wrongful dismissal, it must prove to an Independent Regulatory Commission via written and/or video evidence that the match referee made an obvious error."

Asmir Begovic, who signed for the club this summer from Stoke City, will be in line to make his first start for the Blues in Sunday's visit to the Etihad Stadium.

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea City re-sign Tremmel on two-year deal

gerhardtremmel-cropped_12n4pqwht4dpw1keddghyum8lv.jpg

By Harry West
Aug 11, 2015 19:00:38

The 36-year-old stated in May he would not renew his expiring contract and was subsequently released, but has now signed a deal until June 2017

Swansea City goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel has sealed a return to the Liberty Stadium by signing a new two-year deal, less than three months after being released.

The German was let go by the club at the end of last season, but has now agreed terms on another contract despite interest from other Premier League and Bundesliga outfits.

Tremmel returns to provide competition to Lukasz Fabianski and Kristoffer Nordfeldt for the number one jersey.

"It's fantastic to be back at Swansea - this is where I want to be. This is a special club," he told the club's official website.

"I had other options from top-flights clubs in Germany and England, but Swansea is my environment with my people. I know what Swansea is all about, and it's great to be part of the club.

"I've experienced the biggest achievement of my career here in winning the cup, and seeing the club continue to progress is really pleasing for me to see.

"Now I can concentrate on the season ahead and hopefully we can all make this another fantastic campaign for everyone to remember."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Grealish and Gil not ready for Aston Villa return yet, says Sherwood

timsherwood-cropped_p6lcjp2leor61oypkry6nvknz.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Aug 11, 2015 18:41:02

The 46-year-old is eager for the return of the midfield duo, who are now back in training, but will not rush them into Friday's squad at Villa Park

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood does not expect to have Jack Grealish or Carles Gil available for Friday night's clash with Manchester United.

The creative duo both missed Villa's opening-day win over Bournemouth last weekend having missed the end of their pre-season fixtures, and are unlikely to feature against Louis van Gaal's team at Villa Park.

Grealish flourished in the latter part of last season under Sherwood but suffered a hamstring injury during pre-season while Gil, who picked up an ankle injury, is expected to have a greater role at the club this season.

"Jack and Carles are still out injured," Sherwood told Villa's official website. "Once we get everyone fit and fighting for places, it gives us a lot of options to play different ways, which will be crucial.

"Jack and Carles are training. They have had a few training sessions, but we don't want to push them back too early because they've had soft tissue injuries.

"We don't want them to reoccur."

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sakho arrested over alleged assault

12 August 2015 09:18

892065header.jpg

West Ham forward Diafra Sakho has been arrested on suspicion of assault.

Police are said to have arrived at Sakho's home in Hornchurch, Essex, on Thursday before taking the Senegal international to be questioned in Tower Hamlets, east London.

A Metropolitan Police statement read: "Officers from Tower Hamlets have arrested a man on suspicion of common assault, criminal damage and malicious communication.

"The 25-year-old was arrested on Thursday, 6 August at an address in Emerson Park, Hornchurch.

"He was taken to an east London police station and has been bailed to a date in late September."

Sakho was substituted in injury time during West Ham's season-opening 2-0 Premier League win at Arsenal on Sunday.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Brukner hits out at Mourinho´s ´appalling behavior´

12 August 2015 14:27

892161header.jpg

Leading sports scientist Peter Brukner has criticised Jose Mourinho for his treatment of Chelsea first-team doctor Eva Carneiro, describing his behaviour as "appalling".

Mourinho hit out at Carneiro following Sunday's 2-2 draw with Swansea City, accusing her and physio Jon Fearn of being "impulsive and naive" and "not understanding the game" for the way they handled an injury to Eden Hazard.

Hazard went down late in the game with Carneiro and Fearn entering the field to treat the Belgian, meaning he then had to come off, leaving the hosts with nine men for the closing seconds.

It has been reported Carneiro's role on matchdays has subsequently been reduced, prompting criticism from former Liverpool head of sports medicine and sports science Brukner.

He told talkSPORT: "I thought it was appalling behaviour by the manager.

"He has a player who has gone down, who has remained down and the referee obviously considered it serious enough to summon on the doctor and the physio.

"They went on as they must do when they are summoned on and the player is down, and as a result the player had to come off the ground.

"What do you expect the doctor to do? Just ignore the referee beckoning them on?"

Brukner, who is the doctor for the Australia cricket team in the ongoing Ashes series, believes Mourinho's ire should have been directed towards Hazard rather than Carneiro and Fearn.

He added: "Maybe he should be criticising his player for staying down, rather than the medical staff.

"The medical staff were only responding to the referee's instruction to come on and treat the player, who was on the ground.

"So then to criticise the medical staff publicly in the way that he did was absolutely appalling behaviour.

"The medical staff deserve a public apology and I'm very disappointed that the club hasn't come out and done something to support them – they were just doing their job.

"Our first priority as doctors and physios is the health and safety of the individual player, and that's what they were attending to.

"They were doing their job and they've been criticised very publicly for doing their job."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Swansea bring in former Arsenal goalkeeper Vickers

12 August 2015 15:48

892203header.jpg

Goalkeeper Josh Vickers has signed a two-year deal at Swansea City following a successful trial period with the Welsh club.

The 19-year-old spent the close-season on trial with Swansea after being released by Arsenal in June and impressed in first-team friendlies.

A strong showing against 1860 Munich caught the eye and Vickers has moved to the Premier League club just a day after fellow keeper Gerhard Tremmel returned.

Tremmel is back at the Liberty Stadium less than three months after being released, with the pair offering Garry Monk back-up for first-choice pair Lukasz Fabianski and Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

"I have been here five or six weeks now, taking part in some great matches and feel I have settled in well," Vickers told Swansea's official website.

"This club is going in the right direction. How the first team performed last year is breathing confidence though the whole team, it is a club on the up and it's great to be a part of.

"My aim here is to push on. I hope to be training with the first team most days and to feature for the Under-21s doing the best I can, and I think there is a chance for me to grow and develop here."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunderland hit by Johnson injury blow

12 August 2015 18:02

892290header.jpg

Sunderland winger Adam Johnson is set to miss at least eight weeks of action after suffering a shoulder injury during training.

The former England international featured in Sunderland's 4-2 defeat at Leicester City on Saturday but is set to undergo further tests on Wednesday.

Head coach Dick Advocaat - who this week bemoaned Sunderland's lack of activity in the transfer market - expects Johnson to spend around two months on the sidelines.

"We have Jordi Gomez and Adam Johnson injured and Danny Graham also has some minor problems," he told the club's official website.

"Adam will go to the hospital for a scan tonight and then we will know exactly what is wrong.

"It is a serious injury and it will be at least eight weeks."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rosicky sidelined by knee surgery

12 August 2015 19:53

892346header.jpg

Arsenal could be without midfielder Tomas Rosicky for two months after the Czech Republic man underwent knee surgery.

Rosicky has been beset by injuries in recent years and was limited to 15 appearances last season.

However, with Arsene Wenger keen to keep experience in his squad, Rosicky was handed a one-year contract extension in May.

But the 34-year-old will have limited chances to impart his wisdom on his colleagues over the next few weeks, with his agent Pavel Paska revealing he has been forced to go under the knife.

Paska told iDNES.cz: "Last Tuesday, Tomas underwent arthroscopic knee surgery, his recovery is estimated at four to eight weeks."

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Southampton without Clasie and Caulker

13 August 2015 15:51

892751header.jpg

Jordy Clasie has suffered another injury setback ahead of Southampton's Premier League clash with Everton on Saturday and fellow new signing Steven Caulker will also miss out.

Midfielder Clasie sat out the south-coast club's opening game of the season at Newcastle United on Sunday due to a hamstring problem and sustained an ankle injury playing for the under-21 side on Monday, which will keep him out for up to three weeks.

On-loan defender Caulker was an unused substitute at St James' Park and will play no part at St Mary's Stadium this weekend due to a sinus infection.

Southampton boss Ronald Koeman also revealed that left-back Ryan Bertrand (knee) is not yet ready to return, while Fraser Forster and Florin Gardos (both knee) are long-term absentees.

Koeman said: "We have some difficulties with injuries. Everybody knows the situation of Fraser everybody knows the situation of Florin.

"Jordy Clasie was back, he played last Monday and got an ankle injury and he will be out for the next two to three weeks.

"We have Steven Caulker, he has an infection in the sinus. He was in hospital for two days, he's not in the physical state to be involved at the weekend but we hope that he will be available next Thursday [against Midtjylland in the UEFA Europa League].

"Ryan Bertrand is still not available, maybe in two weeks he will be part of the training sessions."