• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Villa suspend Agbonlahor over shisha pipe controversy

1 April 2016 10:54

1045477header.jpg

Aston Villa have suspended Gabriel Agbonlahor while they carry out an internal investigation into his conduct.

Pictures of the forward appearing to hold a shisha pipe while on holiday in Dubai during the recent international break surfaced in the media this week.

The club have confirmed he will play no part in Saturday's game against Premier League champions Chelsea while they look into the matter.

Team news: An internal investigation is currently underway. While this is being conducted, Gabby Agbonlahor will not feature. #AVFC

— Aston Villa FC (@AVFCOfficial) April 1, 2016

Villa are 12 points adrift of safety at the bottom of the Premier League and parted company with manager Remi Garde on Tuesday.

A club statement posted on Twitter read: "Gabby Agbonlahor will not be involved in Saturday’s early afternoon clash with @ChelseaFC.

"An internal investigation is currently underway. While this is being conducted, Gabby Agbonlahor will not feature."

Reflecting on the decision at Friday's pre-match news conference, Villa caretaker manager Eric Black said: "I didn't want it to become a Gabby Agbonlahor circus."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp: Liverpool looking everywhere for signings, not just Germany

1 April 2016 01:49

1045364header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insists his focus is on more than just the Bundesliga when he considers off-season signings.

The German is expected to overhaul his squad at the end of the campaign, with his team sitting ninth in the Premier League but still alive in the Europa League

Players from Klopp's former club, Borussia Dortmund, and the Bundesliga as a whole have been heavily linked with moves to Anfield.

But the 48-year-old said he would be looking everywhere for signings, not just in his homeland.

"We will not not sign a player because he is German. That would be nonsense," Klopp told Sport1.

"We look not only in the Bundesliga.

"We are really global at the start, but it is much more important not where the player comes from, but that it is the right player for us."

Klopp's men are seven points off fourth spot in the Premier League ahead of Saturday's clash against Tottenham.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

The pressure is all on Tottenham, says Klopp

1 April 2016 14:53

1045577header.jpg

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has warned Tottenham they cannot afford to drop points when they visit Anfield in the Premier League on Saturday.

Spurs are five points behind Leicester City at the top of the table with seven matches remaining and face a crucial pair of matches against the Reds and Manchester United in their next two outings.

Ninth-placed Liverpool are not involved in the title race - something Klopp wants to change in the seasons ahead - but he thinks that could benefit his team for this particular encounter.

"For Spurs it is something like a final, it makes sense for us to think about it," he said at his pre-match media conference.

"We have to be ready. Now everyone knows how strong Tottenham is. It's an important game for both sides, but they have to win to put pressure on Leicester.

"This is a decisive time for Tottenham. This is good opportunity for them to be champions. They have had good situation with injuries.

"I like stories like this but I like the Leicester story too. I know things like this are possible. I don't want to make pressure on Tottenham but this is a pretty good year to become champion.

"We will see who handles the pressure better. It's only a few games, but each point and each game is much more important now.

“It's a big pressure, positive pressure. They are in the race and always fight to the last minute. If Arsenal have enough points in the end then they will deserve it as well.

"Both Spurs and Leicester have handled it well. Hopefully in future we can be more of a part in the title race than we are this season.

"If I wasn't the manager of Liverpool maybe I could enjoy a bit more! This is a pretty good year to become champion – I don't know what will happen next year."

Klopp's first game in charge of LIverpool was a 0-0 draw at Tottenham in October and the ex-Borussia Dortmund boss feels he has learned so much since then.

"It's a massive difference," he added. "I know much more about everything – we have had an intensive time since but that game was very exciting.

"Liverpool v Tottenham. It's not usually a birthday party. It will be a hard fight.

"I watch football and I see the brilliant progress of Tottenham, the fantastic development of players. It's not only Harry Kane, it's exceptional how strong they are."

ArseneWenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal and Chelsea deny doping allegations

doping_tjsvks4evrc01xtth4fg93tx5.jpg

Apr 3, 2016 08:00:00

A report in the Sunday Times alleged both clubs were among other English teams to have been involved in the use of performance enhancing drugs, which they have since slammed

Arsenal and Chelsea have denied claims they were involved in the use of performance enhancing drugs, following a report in the Sunday Times.

The clubs were named among other English sides amid claims from Dr Mark Bonar that he had aided a series of athletes, including Premier League footballers.

However, both Arsenal and Chelsea have since released statements slamming the reports, which also alleged Leicester and Birmingham were on Dr Bonar's list of former clients.

Arsenal said: “Arsenal Football Club is extremely disappointed by the publication of these false claims which are without foundation. The Sunday Times knows that these allegations are baseless but has preferred to publish regardless. The club takes its responsibilities in this area very seriously and our players are well aware of what is expected. We strictly adhere to all guidelines set by the World Anti-Doping Agency.”

Chelsea said: “The claims the Sunday Times put to us are false and entirely without foundation. Chelsea Football Club has never used the services of Dr Bonar and has no knowledge or record of any of our players having been treated by him or using his services.

“We take the issue of performance enhancing drugs in sport extremely seriously and comply fully with all anti-doping rules and regulations. Chelsea FC players are regularly and rigorously tested by the relevant authorities.”

The Sunday Times' report added: “Despite Bonar's claims, The Sunday Times has no independent evidence Bonar treated the players.”

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

FA welcomes doping investigation

dopinggeneric-cropped_8mj1i1kc86f31aeb58wgqjwap.jpg

By Stephen Crawford
Apr 3, 2016 10:38:00

The governing body welcomes an inquiry into allegations that English teams have been involved in the use of performance enhancing drugs following a Sunday Times report

The FA has issued a statement welcoming an investigation into English clubs implicated in the use of performance enhancing drugs.

The Sunday Times published a report on Dr Mark Bonar which claims 150 elite sportsmen, including Premier League footballers, were given illegal substances by the doctor.

Arsenal and Chelsea were two of the Premier League clubs to be named in the allegations and both clubs have denied their involvement, while Leicester City and Birmingham were also included.

The UK Anti-Doping Agency (UKAD) investigated the doctor in 2014 following a conversation with one athlete, but revealed that "there was nothing to indicate that Dr Bonar was governed by a sport".

The British government has ordered an immediate inquiry into UKAD for its handling of the alleged activities, and English football's governing body has pledged its full support to any investigation into the situation.

"These are very serious allegations," a statement from the FA read. "As such, The FA welcomes UK Anti-Doping’s decision to immediately launch an independent review into the matters raised by the Sunday Times.

"The FA is fully committed to maintaining the integrity of English football and will work with UKAD and other relevant agencies in seeking to do so.

"The FA urges anyone with information that may be relevant to come forward as soon as possible."

Meanwhile, Leicester have voiced their disapproval at the publication of the story due to inadequate proof.

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia: Injuries to blame for United woes

3 April 2016

1046593header.jpg

Antonio Valencia said mounting injuries have derailed Manchester United this season but the veteran is still targeting a spot in the Premier League's top four.

Manager Louis van Gaal has found himself under increased pressure as United's Champions League qualification hopes hang in the balance, with the team sixth and four points adrift of Manchester City after 30 matches, though Valencia insisted injuries are to blame this term.

Valencia, Luke Shaw, Bastian Schweinsteiger and captain Wayne Rooney are among a host of United players to be hampered by injuries in 2015-16.

And as United prepare to host Everton at Old Trafford on Sunday, Ecuador international Valencia - who only just returned from a foot injury that had sidelined him since October - leapt to the defence of Van Gaal and said the Dutchman has been left helpless.

"It has affected the way the manager has had to work," the 30-year-old utility told Sky Sports News.

"Your hands are tied. If you have a squad of 20 players, and ten are injured, then you are having to work with half a squad.

"It is not just short term injuries either. You look at Luke Shaw, myself, Wayne Rooney, we have been out for a long period.

"The bad form that we have had in that time has to be down to the amount of injuries that we have had.

"That is bound to affect performances, but now we are getting people back, we need to focus and really fight for the place in the Champions League.

"It is also down to the Premier League, it is tough league. One week you can play very well, and then the next week you are up against a team you are expected to beat, one that is fighting relegation, and they turn it on."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

OFFICIAL: Antonio Conte confirmed as new Chelsea manager

1047272header.jpg

By Ewan Roberts
Apr 4, 2016 13:00:00

The 46-year-old coach is relishing the opportunity to work in the Premier League and return to club management, but insists his only focus is on Italy until after the Euros

Antonio Conte is the new manager of Chelsea, the club have confirmed, with the Italy boss ending months of speculation by finally penning terms in London on Monday.

The 46-year-old has put pen to paper on a three-year contract but will not take charge of the club until after the European Championship in France this summer, where he is looking to guide the Azzurri to only their second continental win.

Chelsea have been looking for a long-term successor to Jose Mourinho since the Portuguese was sacked in December, with popular interim boss Guus Hiddink unwilling to take on the job permanently.

"I am very excited about the prospect of working at Chelsea," Conte told the club's official website. "I am proud to be the coach of the national team of my country and only a role as attractive as manager of Chelsea could follow that.

"I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the club and the day-to-day challenge of competing in the Premier League.

"Chelsea and English football are watched wherever you go, the fans are passionate and my ambition is to have more success to follow the victories I enjoyed in Italy.

"I am happy we have made the announcement now so everything is clear and we can end the speculation. I will continue to focus on my job with the Italian national team and will reserve speaking about Chelsea again until after the Euros."

The Blues are unbeaten in the Premier League since Hiddink took over - their 15-game streak is the longest undefeated run in the division this season - and still have a slim chance of qualifying for Europe.

The lack of Champions League football has not put Conte off, however, with the Italian beating off competition from the likes of Copa America-winning coach Jorge Sampaoli to land the Stamford Bridge job.

Conte arrives in England with a hugely impressive CV, having won the Scudetto in three consecutive seasons with Juventus between 2011 and 2014 and helping lay the foundations for the Old Lady's recent dominance of Italian football.

He fared less well in the cup competitions, however, losing the Coppa Italia final to Napoli and failing to progress further than the quarter-finals of the Champions League - even crashing out at the group stage in his final season at the club.

After replacing Cesare Prandelli as Italy manager two years ago, Conte oversaw an unbeaten qualification campaign for Euro 2016, though he will step down to take charge of Chelsea after this summer's tournament.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cloud of corruption hangs over new Chelsea boss Conte

antonioconte-cropped_8t6t2f1z6ivb13sejfzynsg4j.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 4, 2016 14:00:00

The Italian coach is to go on trial in Cremona for sporting fraud, after being accused of failing to report an alleged attempt to fix a game during his time in charge of Siena

Former Perugia president Luciano Gaucci once infamously claimed, "Eighty per cent of the games in Italy are fixed." Rather depressingly, only the figure was questioned by the nation's disillusioned fans; nobody doubted that match-fixing was indeed widespread.

This, after all, is a nation in which Paolo Rossi had a three-year ban for his involvement in the Totonero betting scandal conveniently reduced by 12 months, thus allowing him to fire the Azzurri to World Cup glory in 1982.

The Calciopoli refereeing scandal of 2006, meanwhile, seemed to galvanise Italy's players ahead of their triumph at Germany 2006. And now, the coach of the national team, Antonio Conte, is set to stand trial for sporting fraud just over a month before leading his country into competition at Euro 2016.

It is important to note that Conte does not stand accused of match-fixing but rather knowing about attempts to do so and then failing to alert the authorities. In that sense, one could argue that much of the population could be on trial for sporting fraud given it is widely accepted that some matches - particularly towards the end of the season when mid-table sides no longer have anything left to play for - are fixed.

2931232.jpg

Indeed, Maurizio Montesi once asked: "And what is so new about all of this? That football is fake, corrupt? We knew that already, even if some people pretended that they didn't know, or didn't want to know because they have economic interests, or simply because they are fans."

The former Lazio midfielder posed those awkward questions after Totonero in 1980. 36 years on, they are as painfully relevant now as they were then - even more so following last weekend's shocking doping allegations involving Premier League footballers.

Carlo Gervasoni even explained in great detail last year that he found it quite easy to persuade fellow professionals to partake in the latest betting scandal to hit the Italian game.

"It’s complicated to give an exact number of the players I contacted for match-fixing because there’s still a trial ongoing, but I more or less managed to contact 60," the former Cremonese and Piacenza defender told Italia 1.

"Out of these 60, only two said no: one was Italian and one foreign. I realised it was more difficult to convince a foreign player to fix a game.

"The Italians made a problem out of it initially, but then once they had the cash in hand before the game, they found it easier."

Gervasoni is a key witness in the trial to which he is referring. It centres on a Cremona-based investigation into the 'Last Bet' scandal of 2011, which has 104 defendants, the most high-profile of whom is Conte. However, it is not Gervasoni who has implicated the Italy boss in this sordid affair but rather Filippo Carobbio.

Carobbio played under Conte during the former Juventus coach's time in charge of Siena. He alleged that plans were made to fix a game against Novara in April 2011 because Siena president Massimo Mezzaroma had placed a significant sum of money on a draw. The game finished 2-2.

Carobbio claims Conte was fully aware of the plot. "There was an agreement for the draw and, in fact, we speak about it during our technical meeting," he stated in 2012. "We were all aware of the agreed outcome, above all so that we could act accordingly during the game. The coach himself, Antonio Conte, told us that we could rest easy as we had reached an agreement with Novara."

The former Italy international was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing in relation to the Novara fixture. However, Carobbio also alleged that Conte knew of a second attempt to arrange a result, against AlbinoLeffe towards the tail end of the same season.

According to Carobbio, in January 2011, Siena assistant coach Cristian Stellini instructed him and team-mate Claudio Terzi to get in contact with players from AlbinoLeffe to "make arrangements for the return game, so that the points would go to the side with the greater need." At the time, Siena had already secured promotion to Serie A, while their opponents were battling relegation.

AlbinoLeffe prevailed 1-0, although Carobbio claimed that not everybody at Siena wanted to roll over. "Some wanted to win, hoping to finish first and get the maximum bonus [for doing so]," he said. "However, in the end, we all agreed, the team and the coach, to give the win to AlbinoLeffe."

Conte has always maintained that he knew of no such illegal activity. However, he did agree to a plea-bargain put forward by the prosecutor, Stefano Palazzi, that would have seen him accept a three-month touchline ban but without having to issue any kind of admission of guilt.

This proposal was rejected by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC), much to Conte's shock. "I agree with the judges on one thing: 90 days wasn’t a suitable punishment - the right one is zero. Even if today I had the certainty of a three-month ban, my answer would have been 'no'. I didn’t do anything illegal and I didn’t fail to report anything."

Consequently, Conte thus rejected the prosecutor's offer to try to negotiate a second plea-bargain that the FIGC's Disciplinary Committee would accept. Moreover, he claimed that he had been coerced into accepting the original deal with Palazzi.

2931222.jpg

"I consider a plea-bargain blackmail," he fumed. "I'm an innocent person yet I’m told by my lawyer to plea-bargain. It’s embarrassing. They have ruined my credibility in the changing room. Those people who know me know what type of person Antonio Conte is...

“Now I’m afraid to argue with one of my own players. If I send one of my players into the stands then this type of thing can happen. They believe the word of someone who has been selling games for three-and-a-half years!"

Carobbio's credibility has been repeatedly questioned, while it was also pointed out that not one other Siena player implicated Conte in the fix. It has simply been a case of one man's word against the other and, given Conte was tried in a process that considers a defendant guilty until proven innocent, it was perhaps unsurprising that he was not only banned for 10 months but that this ruling was upheld by the Italian Federal Court.

However, the sentence infuriated both Conte and his then employers Juventus, as the charge relating to the Novara game had been dropped by that point, after it had been disproven that he had made up an injury to striker Salvatore Mastronunzio in order to justify his exclusion from the starting line-up.

Conte thus appealed once more and his ban was eventually reduced to four months by the National Court for Sports Arbitration (TNAS). He was thus unable to sit on the bench for most of the first half of the 2012-13 season.

Conte remained indignant, continuing to protest his innocence, but the prosecutors argued that he could not have known that his assistant coach, Stellini - who was eventually suspended for two-and-a-half years - had agreed to fix the AlbinoLeffe encounter. Palazzi also defended Carobbio's motives for implicating his ex-boss: "He would have got the same penalty even if he had not mentioned Conte's name. So there was no element of personal animosity. Instead, we have shown that there is consistency in the player's statements."

It was for that reason that the suspicion of wrongdoing never truly went away and also why Conte is now facing a charge of sporting fraud.

The trial gets under way this week and is expected to be finished in mid-May, with the authorities having agreed to fast-track the process in order to allow Conte to learn his fate before the Euros. Furthermore, it is believed that even if Conte is found guilty, he will face nothing more than a fine, leaving him free to completely concentrate on Italy's preparations for France and then his new job at Chelsea.

One of Conte's lawyers, Leonardo Cammarata, has admitted that a guilty verdict would "seriously damage" his client's image. However, it certainly wouldn't affect his job prospects. Sadly, that is the only thing that has been proven beyond all doubt thus far.

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Reports: Prosecutor recommends suspended jail sentence for Conte

5 April 2016

1047823header.jpg

Prosecutors have recommended that Italy coach, and future Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte be given a six-month suspended jail sentence and an €8,000 fine as part of a match-fixing investigation, according to reports in Italy.

Italian national news agency ANSA reported on Tuesday that the prosecutor of Cremona made the recommendation as part of the ongoing 'Scommessopoli' case.

Conte is accused of sporting fraud for allegedly failing to report attempts to fix a match against AlbinoLeffe when he was in charge of Serie B side Siena in 2010-11. The Italy coach has denied any wrongdoing.

Sentencing in the case is expected in May, when Conte will be finalising preparations for Italy's Euro 2016 campaign.

The 46-year-old has reportedly applied for his case to be fast tracked, meaning he will not have to be present at the trial.

Chelsea confirmed the appointment of Conte on Monday and the Italian will head to Stamford Bridge after the European Championship to replace Jose Mourinho on a three-year deal.

While in charge of Juventus, Conte was banned from the touchline by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) for four months in 2012 as part of the Scommessopoli scandal, although he was later cleared of any wrongdoing in relation to a second game under the spotlight, between Siena and Novara in May 2011.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp cannot bring back the Anfield glory days - Barnes

5 April 2016

1047972header.jpg

Liverpool legend John Barnes feels no English club can replicate the Reds' dominance in the 1970s and 80s and instead has more modest targets for Jurgen Klopp's side.

The former England winger won two league titles, two FA Cups and one League Cup with Liverpool after his move from Watford in 1987, while the Anfield outfit claimed more than 20 major honours across the two decades.

But Barnes cannot see such a feat being repeated in the modern game and wants Klopp to be judged by different standards.

"He's not going to bring Liverpool back to the glory days in terms of winning the league every year and winning the European Cup. Because that's not going to happen anywhere, apart from if you're Barcelona," Barnes, speaking as brand ambassador for titanbet.co.uk, told Omnisport.

"In England you are going to see a change of maybe Leicester winning [the Premier League] this year or maybe even Tottenham.

"But I don't think you're going to have a one team dominating like Liverpool did in the 70s and 80s, and as Manchester United did in the 90s, or how Arsenal did for a while.

"You are going to have a change in who wins the league every year, which is good competition."

Liverpool look set to miss out on a top-four place in the Premier League, but face Klopp's former club Borussia Dortmund in the Europa League quarter-finals, with the first leg at Signal-Iduna Park taking place on Thursday.

"The Dortmund tie for Liverpool is the worst draw for them and for Dortmund as well," Barnes added.

"Because, of course, with Jurgen Klopp going back there, they wouldn't want him to come back and win.

"So it's a game that two teams probably wouldn't have wanted, but it's there so there's not a lot either of them can do about it."

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

UKAD appoints retired senior police officer to lead independent review

doping_tjsvks4evrc01xtth4fg93tx5.jpg

By Jack Davies
Apr 5, 2016 17:19:08

Former senior police officer Andy Ward is to lead a review process after claims emerged that athletes, including footballers, were being treated with banned substances

UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) has appointed a retired assistant police chief constable to lead an independent review into the body's handling of intelligence in relation to Dr Mark Bonar.

The Sunday Times claimed at the weekend that London-based Bonar was secretly filmed by an undercover athlete stating that footballers, cyclists and tennis players were among sportspeople he had treated with banned substances.

The newspaper acknowledged it had no independent evidence of the medic providing such treatment.

Bonar is said to have stressed he administered treatment to the athletes for medical reasons and not to enhance performance, while it has not been suggested the substances were illegal.

Posts on a Twitter page purported to be Bonar's personal account accused the Sunday Times piece of being "false" and "very misleading".

The British government called for an urgent inquiry into the actions of UKAD, who commenced an investigation into the doctor in 2014 but found "there was nothing to indicate that Dr Bonar was governed by a sport", and Andy Ward - a former senior figure at Merseyside Police - has been approved by secretary of state for culture, media and sport John Whittingdale as the man to lead the review.

"Andy Ward is a strong choice to carry out the review into UK Anti-Doping’s handling of intelligence in relation to Dr Mark Bonar," said UKAD chair David Kenworthy. "He is independent of sport so will bring a fresh and uninfluenced perspective, whilst his extensive experience of intelligence handling will be critical to the review.

"Andy’s role will be to examine how the information supplied by the sportsperson was handled and whether proper procedures were followed. Andy will also be asked to make any recommendations to improve processes in the future.

"As a publicly funded body, it is correct that UKAD be held to account for any actions it takes and the team is very supportive of, and will fully cooperate with, the review process."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis in no hurry to sign new contract at West Brom

tonypulis-cropped_1bf036xuvs2a9zafenzt1nnd4.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Apr 8, 2016 20:54:10

Although his deal at The Hawthorns expires at the end of next season, the Baggies boss Tony Pulis is considering his future and would like to take talks slowly

Tony Pulis says he is in no hurry to sign a new contract at West Brom.

Pulis has all but ensured West Brom's Premier League status for another year, the Midlands club are 13 points clear of the relegation zone in 11th.

The 58-year-old's contract at The Hawthorns expires at the end of the 2016-17 season, but the former Crystal Palace boss is keen to finish the season impressively before discussing his future with club chairman Jeremy Peace.

"Let me speak to Jeremy," Pulis said. "I think the most important thing is we try to finish the season as well and as strong as we possibly can and then I'll sit down with Jeremy.

"I've still got a year left so there's no rush.

"I prefer to sit with Jeremy and have a nice glass of wine and a bite to eat, whether it's on the south coast or where Jeremy is in London, or in Jersey.

"At the end of the season I'll sit down with Jeremy and we'll talk.

"We'll talk about the season and we'll talk about the future, that's what I've done for years now.

"There's been no discussions about contracts or anything [yet]."

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henderson’s season is over as he sweats on Euro 2016 spot

2973112_heroa.jpg

By Melissa Reddy
Apr 8, 2016 17:00:00

The 25-year-old is under threat of missing the final England cut for the tournament in France after a scan revealed damage to his lateral collateral ligament

Jordan Henderson will not kick a ball competitively again for Liverpool this season and is sweating on his chances of making the European Championship as he faces a minimum of six to eight weeks out of action.

A scan revealed damage to the midfielder’s lateral collateral ligament, and with England manager Roy Hodgson due to select his final squad for the tournament on May 12, the Reds captain could be overlooked as he works on his rehabilitation.

Typically, an LCL problem can lead to a spell out of up to three months, but Henderson’s assessment showed the impairment is isolated, which has afforded him the opportunity to make an earlier return should his treatment go according to plan.

The 25-year-old does not require surgery and if his recuperation is ahead of schedule, that will keep alive his hopes of lining up for the Three Lions in France.

Henderson suffered the knee injury during the 1-1 draw with Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of the Europa League quarter-final on Thursday night, and departed the Westfalenstadion in crutches looking severely dejected.

Manager Jurgen Klopp described the setback as “really bad” in his post-match briefing and the skipper underwent a scan at Spire Hospital upon Liverpool’s return home on Friday afternoon.

It is the fourth separate injury Henderson has endured this season, having only previously been on the treatment table twice in his professional career.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke captain Shawcross to return against Liverpool

8 April 2016

1049726header.jpg

Stoke City captain Ryan Shawcross is set to return to action for his team's Premier League game against Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

Manager Mark Hughes confirmed that the defender, who has only made one league appearance since January, has made progress which has been better than expected over the last week as he battles a persistent back injury.

The return of Shawcross will be a huge boost for Stoke as they sit in eighth position with six games to go and chase a European place.

"He has had a good week," Hughes said of his 28-year-old skipper. "It is about whether he can cope with the work that we give him and he has come through all of that this week.

"He is available for Sunday. I spoke earlier in the week about maybe needing to give him a reserve team game, but given how he has progressed I don't think there is a need for that. He is certainly in my thoughts for the game."

However, Hughes did reveal key forward Marko Arnautovic was unlikely to face Jurgen Klopp's men.

"He twisted his knee last weekend during the game," replied Hughes when asked about the Austria international.

"He played on, but afterwards there was a bit of discomfort which is still there. Maybe the game on Sunday will be too soon for him. We hope he is available but we will make a decision closer to kick-off with Marko."

Stoke have only lost one of their last seven league encounters and have seven points from their last three away contests.

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: I can almost guarantee I’ll be back this summer

2641322_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Apr 8, 2016 16:12:00

The Portuguese is confident he will be in a new job after the end of the season and says he is ready to go and give his all at a club where he is "truly wanted"

Jose Mourinho says he can “almost guarantee” he will be back in managerial action this summer and has "good offers on the table" as speculation surrounding his future continues.

The Portuguese has been out of work since leaving his second spell in charge of Chelsea back in December after a torrid start to the season with the Blues.

The 53-year-old has been heavily linked with replacing Louis van Gaal at Manchester United, although he has also been linked to Real Madrid should Zinedine Zidane fail to win the Champions League.

"I can almost guarantee you that I’ll be back working this summer," he told Portuguese newspaper O Jogo. "I’ve good offers on the table.

"It’s a matter of thinking, to come to a good decision and finalise it. In the summer, at the end of the season, everyone will know what my next club will be”.

While Mourinho did not reveal which offers he has received, he did confess that he is raring to go after months out of the game.

"One thing is certain, my future won’t be at Estoril or Pacos, because they’re both having great seasons and won’t change manager," he joked.

"I’ll take my ideas to where they wanted. I want to be at a place where I’m truly wanted.

"After a few months to recharge my batteries, I'll be ready to go with everything I have to give.

"I want to work at a club with responsibility, in a hard league, where there’re no easy objectives. That doesn’t leave many options."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez understands fan discontent at Everton

11 April 2016

1051236header.jpg

Roberto Martinez says he understands the frustrations shown by Everton supporters during a difficult season for the Merseyside club.

Everton fans unfurled two banners showing discontent with the Spaniard before their 1-1 draw at Watford on Saturday.

Martinez and Co. have won just nine out of 31 league games this season, including three straight defeats before their draw with Watford.

Only the top four have scored more than Everton this season but their frailties at the back have cost them, with the club sitting 14th in the Premier League standings.

Martinez said he could sympathise with the supporters but insists he is committed to his task with the club.

"I think that comes with the job," he said of the banners. "Since day one, my first season at Everton, I'm extremely proud and honoured to be the manager and I accept that the fans are not going to be happy with the team losing and I accept and understand.

"What's important is the fans always support the team, always support in whatever way they can and help us to win games – and that's the only thing that matters.

"They know I would give my life to achieve a winning team. Everything we do is to make them proud, so I've got no problem with their discontent at times and football is an emotional game.

"I wouldn't expect anyone to be happy with poor standards and losing three games in the league for me, in my eyes, is very poor standards.

"There were some banners but I understand that completely."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Schneiderlin questions United mentality

10 April 2016

1051228header.jpg

A poor six minutes in which Manchester United conceded three goals against Tottenham has raised questions about the team's mentality for Morgan Schneiderlin.

The French midfielder was left scratching his head by the lapse which saw Tottenham take a commanding 3-0 lead through Dele Alli, Toby Alderweireld and Erik Lamela.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah had been forced off with an injury in the 68th minute after being the standout man in United's defence, before Alli kicked off the Tottenham scoring spree.

But Schneiderlin suggested his team were mentally weak, such was the collapse after the first goal.

"After the first goal we lost a bit of shape, maybe it was a mental thing," he said.

"In the first half we had possession and caused a few problems but after the goal it happened so quickly, three goals so quick cannot happen.

"Everyone has their head down like you can imagine. No-one would have thought that after 60 minutes it would have been 3-0.

"But fair play to them they got us when we were a bit down. Like I say, it is us to blame."

The result leaves United four points off fourth-placed local rivals Manchester City with six games to play.

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Too early to label Van Gaal a failure - Cruyff

12 April 2016

1051940header.jpg

Louis van Gaal deserves more time to make his mark at Manchester United, according to Jordi Cruyff.

The jury remains out on Van Gaal's two-season Old Trafford tenure, with United battling to achieve a top-four finish in the Premier League – they sit four points adrift of rivals Manchester City with six games to play – and facing an FA Cup quarter-final replay at West Ham.

Rumours that former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho will replace the Dutchman ahead of the 2016-17 season persist, but Cruyff has sympathy for his compatriot.

"I think failure is a bit of a mean word so far," he told Omnisport on March 18. "There are still a lot of games left. If they do end up winning the FA Cup and finish second in the league then people will not see it as a failure. They well see it as a build-up.

"I think it's harsh and a bit too early, but it's obvious things have not gone the way they would've expected, especially after some huge investments have been made.

"I think one of the prime reasons is because they have a very young team. Young players are allowed to have ups and downs. That's part of the process.

"After 25 years of [Alex] Ferguson it's a big shock to the club when he leaves, there is a bit of a hole.

"There is a new generation. That always takes time. Maybe we didn't expect it would take so much time which is the case. Let's see, but it's obvious United are not at the stage everyone thought they would be."

Discussing Mourinho's credentials, Cruyff added: "Mourinho is an excellent manager and has had success in all the places he's worked. That's something that not a lot of people can say.

"Who the manager will be, I have no idea. At the moment [Louis] Van Gaal still has a contract and officially nothing has been said about him continuing.

"I think they are just waiting to see if they can still turn around the season and end up with a good smile."

United take on West Ham at Upton Park on Wednesday.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Johnson appeals six-year prison sentence

12 April 2016

1051999header.jpg

Adam Johnson has lodged an appeal against his six-year prison sentence.

The former Sunderland and England winger was sentenced last month having been found guilty by a jury of one charge of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl at Bradford Crown Court.

Johnson, who had already pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and one of grooming, has already begun an appeal against that conviction.

An official at Bradford Crown Court confirmed to Omnisport that the 28-year-old has now applied for a review of his six-year prison sentence.

On the Adam Johnson's Appeal Fight Facebook page, set up by his sister Faye, a post said: "Adam's appeal against his sentence has now been lodged! Thanks everyone for your support it means a lot!"

Johnson had his contract terminated by Sunderland after his guilty plea.