• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger expects Ramsey to miss four weeks

11 March 2016 15:44

1023652header.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger expects midfielder Aaron Ramsey to return from a thigh problem in four weeks.

Ramsey lasted just 16 minutes of the 4-0 FA Cup victory over Hull City on Tuesday before he was forced to come off after pulling up injured.

Early reports speculated that the Wales international could face close to two months on the sidelines, placing his chances of returning to full fitness before Euro 2016 in doubt.

But while Wenger admits the injury is more severe than he initially feared, he hopes to see the 25-year-old back by the middle of April.

"No, I don't think he's out for the season," he told the media on Friday. "The clinical signs are quite positive.

"As a start I would say four weeks. It's a bit worse than I thought at the time. I thought it would be just a precaution and he would be available for Sunday."

Wenger hopes to have central-defensive duo Gabriel and Per Mertesacker available for the quarter-final clash with Watford after they suffered knocks against Hull.

"Gabriel and Mertesacker should be available," he said. "Laurent Koscielny is not far off. He has to train tomorrow, then we'll decide if he is fit to play."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino, Forster win February Premier League awards

11 March 2016

1023493header.jpg

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has been named Premier League Manager of the Month after guiding his side to four successive top-flight wins in February.

Victories over Watford, Swansea City, Norwich City and a hugely impressive 2-1 win away to Manchester City kept alive Spurs' hopes of a first top-flight title since 1961.

Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster picked up the Player of the Month prize after his exceptional form since returning from a serious knee injury.

Forster kept three clean sheets – including away to Arsenal – to set a new club record of 708 minutes without conceding.

"It's well deserved. He had great performances when he came back," manager Ronald Koeman told the club's official website. "We had a great month."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

McClaren: I would have kept Newcastle up

stevemcclaren-cropped_1ntu26dz5g1f615pi8xv2mr1pm.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Mar 11, 2016 18:01:42

The Magpies opted for Rafael Benitez to save their season, but his predecessor is sure he could have overseen a reverse in fortunes

Steve McClaren is confident he would have saved Newcastle United from Premier League relegation had he been given more time.

Newcastle ended days of intense speculation by sacking the former England manager on Friday just nine months after his arrival at St James' Park, with Rafael Benitez subsequently hired as his replacement.

McClaren oversaw just six victories from 28 league matches, leaving Newcastle in 19th and a point adrift of safety, with a shambolic 3-1 defeat at home to AFC Bournemouth on Saturday sealing his fate.

But the 54-year-old feels that Newcastle would have retained top-flight status under his stewardship.

"I am obviously very disappointed with the decision," McClaren said via a League Managers' Association statement. "I appreciate any frustrations relating to the team's results and the club subsequently finding itself in a battle to avoid relegation.

"I remain confident, however, that we would have stayed in the Premier League with a view to building for next season.

"Whilst there has been a lot of intense speculation surrounding my position over recent days, my sole priority has been to maintain my professionalism and carry on with my work to best prepare the team.

"I would like to place on record what a privilege it has been to manage Newcastle United. It is a great a club - the embodiment of the city, with incredible supporters.

"I'd also like to thank [owner] Mike Ashley and the board for giving me the opportunity to manage the club, and the staff and players for their loyalty and efforts.

"For every supporter of Newcastle United, I genuinely hope the club can produce the results I believe they are capable of, between now and the end of the season, to maintain their Premier League status.

"Newcastle United is a club that must build for the long term to deliver what the supporters deserve - success and silverware."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

How Man Utd could do with him now... Law collects CBE

2834932_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Mar 11, 2016 17:55:00

The former striker was honoured at Buckingham Palace for his services to football and charity, having scored 237 goals during his time at Old Trafford between 1962 and 1973

Manchester United legend Denis Law was awarded a CBE for his services to football and charity at Buckingham Palace on Friday.

The former Scotland international, who played as a centre-forward for United between 1962 and 1973, scored a total of 237 goals for the club, forming part of the 'Holy Trinity' alongside George Best and Bobby Charlton.

Law enjoyed a trophy-laden career, and helped Sir Matt Busby's team become the first English side to win the European Cup in 1968, but he insists he did not expect to be handed such an award.

"I just think this is the type of honour that goes to other people. You do not expect to get something like this. It's fantastic," he is quoted as saying by the BBC.

How United could use a striker like Law now...

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry edges closer to management after completing UEFA A license

11 March 2016

1023405header.jpg

Arsenal and Barcelona great Thierry Henry has moved a step closer to management having completed his UEFA A license.

Former France international Henry has been working as a television pundit since retiring after starring in the MLS with New York Red Bulls, but he looks set to take up management as he continues to add coaching qualifications to his remarkable CV as a player.

The 38-year-old Champions League winner showed his delight at completing the course on his Instagram account, posting a picture of him being presented with the award, writing: "Massive thank you to Osian Roberts #Osh, @welshfootballtrust and the Arsenal Academy for assisting me to pass my UEFA A Licence coaching badge. #proudday"

Henry completed the course under the Football Association of Wales, as he did for the UEFA B license last year.

To coach in any UEFA competition or England's top-flight, Henry must complete his UEFA pro license.

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Terry could return for Goodison Park cup tie, Costa a doubt

11 March 2016

1023651header.jpg

Guus Hiddink has confirmed John Terry will be in his Chelsea squad for the FA Cup quarter-final meeting with Everton on Saturday, but Diego Costa is a doubt.

Chelsea captain Terry has not featured since sustaining a hamstring injury in the 5-1 win over Newcastle United on February 13.

Having missed the last six matches, including both legs of the Champions League last-16 exit at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain, the 35-year-old centre-back could make his return in the trip to Goodison Park.

"He worked rather well the past days and he will be included in the list for travel," boss Hiddink said on Friday when he faced the media.

"Of course he has not practiced a lot in the recent weeks and days, but it was a little bit intensified in the last two days.

"Today I will see if he has a big reaction on yesterday's training."

However, Chelsea may be without Costa after he was withdrawn during Wednesday's 2-1 defeat at home to PSG.

Hiddink confirmed the Spain international is struggling with a hip issue alongside hamstring trouble.

"He went off and had a more problems. Yesterday [he had] rest, and treatment, this morning the same," the Dutchman said.

"I will see how he will be, I cannot say. It's in his hip as well [as his hamstring]."

Following elimination from Europe, Hiddink is seeking a positive reaction by progressing to the FA Cup semi-finals.

"I think we had a difficult loss and we don't have much time, just two days to recover physically, but also mentally," added Hiddink.

"It's always a blow when you're kicked out - by a good team, to be honest - but the players have to respond."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ranieri targeting Europa League for Leicester

2679342_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Mar 14, 2016 18:30:00

The former Chelsea boss claims that he is not yet eyeing the Premier League title and would be happy to secure a place in Europe for the Foxes next season

Claudio Ranieri insists he is only concentrating on making sure Leicester City qualify for the Europa League despite sitting top of the Premier League table.

Victory over Newcastle would move the Foxes five points ahead of second-placed Tottenham with eight matches to play following a remarkable campaign for the club.

But Ranieri is keen to temper expectations and claims his main target is to secure European football rather than eye the club's first title triumph.

"It's still a crazy season, but we want to fight because anything could happen," he wrote in his programme notes ahead of the Newcastle clash.

"If Leicester City could qualify for the Europa League, it would be amazing for this club and that now must be our next target.

"If we can achieve this, we can look for the next target. But we must keep fighting and stay focused on Leicester."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool CEO Ayre announces exit

14 March 2016

1025508header.jpg

Liverpool have confirmed that CEO Ian Ayre will be leaving the club at the end of his contract in May 2017.

The 52-year-old joined the club as commercial director in 2007 and took the chief executive role in 2011 following Fenway Sports Group's takeover at Anfield.

In a statement released by Liverpool, owner John W. Henry, chairman Tom Werner and president Mike Gordon said: "Ian advised us of his intention to step down as CEO a few months ago.

"We asked him on several occasions to take some time to reconsider his decision, but have been unable to convince him to remain as CEO beyond May 2017. We will at some point in the near future begin identifying and recruiting a worthy successor to continue to build on the outstanding foundations which have been laid by Ian.

"Under his leadership, we have seen Liverpool transform from a club that was on the brink of bankruptcy, to one which today enjoys strong financial and operational health.

"Stability is a commodity often under-valued in sporting organisations, but it has been a fundamental hallmark of Ian's time in charge. Liverpool will reap the benefits of his outstanding work for many years to come.

"We have always found Ian to be dedicated, honest, passionate and committed to doing the right thing for the long-term interests of the football club. These fit with our own values as owners and we owe him greatly for the personal sacrifices he has made for the club.

"It is typical of the person he is, once again, Ian is putting the club ahead of his own interest in wanting to announce his decision 15 months before he steps down. This now provides us with plenty of time and space to find a suitable successor."

Ayre added: "If becoming chief executive of Liverpool Football Club was the greatest honour of my professional life, then deciding to step down at the end of my current contract is by far the most difficult.

"Having the privilege to lead this great club comes with huge responsibility and challenge but one which I have relished and I feel proud of my achievements in the role. I believe the end of next season is the right time to pass the CEO baton on to a new person, who will take on the challenges and opportunities with a fresh enthusiasm and vigour. They will do so supported by what I believe to be the best ownership group in world sport and by a truly excellent team of staff throughout the football club.

"Having been brought up in the shadow of Anfield, I have found it the most profound privilege to serve the club I have supported all my life. The driving principle behind every decision I have taken during my time here has been to do the best for the long-term stability and health of this great football club."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Falcao reveals China snub as he targets run in Chelsea side

14 March 2016

1025346header.jpg

Radamel Falcao has revealed he turned down lucrative offers from China and is desperate to deliver for Chelsea during the final few weeks of the season.

Injury problems have restricted the Colombia international to just nine Premier League appearances for the champions, and he has not played a minute of action since the defeat to Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on October 31.

The 30-year-old has said he rejected the chance to move to Asia in the past year and now feels ready to prove his worth under Guus Hiddink after putting his latest fitness nightmare behind him - though he accepts his long-term future is up in the air.

"It's true that I had two different offers from Chinese football, but I stayed in England in order to give myself the opportunity," he told El Tiempo. "To go there would have been the easiest way, because it was a great offer. But I wanted to stay.

"People have the right to their opinions and I know that my career is public, just as I know that everything can change in football. It's true that you can't always win, you have to keep working and believe that the situation will be better in future.

"I'm thinking about what I can do at the club before May. I'm not looking beyond that. Staying depends on many things, not only me. So I try to give my best in training in order to get an opportunity, but things will be analysed when decisions have to be made."

Explaining his lack of football in the past four months, Falcao said: "I suffered an overload in my quad, on November 3. In December I returned to training and was ready to play the game against [Manchester] United on December 28, but the day before I had a recurrence of a muscle injury.

"It was decided that, in order to avoid any mistakes or put on any pressure, and to ensure a complete recovery, that we would take time and the necessary measures in order for the muscle to be 100 per cent recovered.

"I think so [I'm ready to play]. I'm sure they'll consider me this week. I feel good and on the level of the team. I have to go step by step, keep calm and be prudent."

Chelsea's next game is at home to West Ham United on Saturday.

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sampaoli: Conte only in Chelsea running because I cannot speak English

14 March 2016

1025365header.jpg

Jorge Sampaoli has claimed he was Chelsea's first choice to replace Jose Mourinho as manager, before his lack of English turned attention to Antonio Conte.

Reports in Italy have suggested Conte could be confirmed as Chelsea's next full-time manager in the coming days, with Guus Hiddink in charge until the end of the season after Mourinho paid the price for a woeful Premier League title defence.

Sampaoli was a nominee for the 2015 FIFA World Coach of the Year after leading Chile to Copa America glory last year, although he quit the national job in January after a disagreement with the country's football association.

And the Argentine has now revealed how close he came to taking over at Stamford Bridge.

"I had a meeting with Chelsea's owner [Roman Abramovich] and he told me that I was the first option," he told Argentine radio station Vorterix.

"I was about to be their new coach, but then Conte appeared and it became a competition between us. It was him or me.

"I needed some time in order to improve my English but this kind of club doesn't give you that time."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

No Van Gaal agenda, says Scholes

14 March 2016

1025303header.jpg

Paul Scholes has sternly denied that his regular criticism of Manchester United is borne out of a personal issue with manager Louis van Gaal.

Old Trafford legend Scholes has been scathing of the current crop of United players on several occasions in his role as a TV analyst.

Scholes blasted United's "shambolic" performance after last week's 2-0 defeat at Liverpool in the Europa League, with Van Gaal subsequently taking umbrage with reporters who asked the United manager's opinion on criticism from Scholes and another former Red, Rio Ferdinand.

When asked by United We Stand if he held an agenda against Van Gaal, Scholes responded: "What a load of b******s. What I've always done is nothing more than say what I think I've seen on a football pitch, whether that's been good or bad.

"The thing with Van Gaal is that everything he has read and everything I say that gets printed, is only the negative stuff.

"There are times when I have tried to be positive. The best example I can think of was PSV away when we got beaten and didn't play great but I felt that I could see something happening in the United way.

"By that I mean we had two wingers in - I think - Ashley Young and Memphis.

"But when only my negative comments are picked on, it looks worse than it actually is.

"It's not the regime I've had a go at, I've criticised the style of play."

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

City captain Kompany out for at least a month with fresh calf injury

vincentkompany-cropped_ap1lmjyojam410gqi1nowfx4u.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Mar 15, 2016 23:31:43

Manuel Pellegrini faces an anxious wait on the full extent of the defender's calf injury, with the Manchester City captain out for at least the next four weeks

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini confirmed Vincent Kompany will miss a minimum of a month of action after sustaining a fresh calf injury against Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Kompany appeared to be over the worst of the issue that has blighted his campaign after playing in City's past six matches.

However, the issue reared its ugly head again for the Belgium centre-back when he limped off early in City's 0-0 draw against Kiev - a result that secured their place in the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time thanks to a 3-1 aggregate win.

Pellegrini confirmed at his post-match news conference that Kompany will miss a "minimum of a month", meaning he is out for a crucial period of City's campaign.

Kompany is definitely out of Sunday's derby against Manchester United in what is surely a must-win game for City's Premier League title hopes, as well as next month's Champions League quarters.

He also sits out league matches against AFC Bournemouth and West Brom, while his availability against Chelsea on April 16 is in doubt.

Pellegrini added on BT Sport: "Unfortunately for Kompany he has again a calf problem. We'll see how bad it is tomorrow [Wednesday].

"It's difficult for him. He came back very well and played six games in a row, unfortunately he couldn't continue. We'll see how bad it is."

City's worries worsened midway through the first half at the Etihad Stadium against Kiev when Kompany's centre-back partner Nicolas Otamendi also hobbled off.

But Pellegrini is hopeful his injury is not too severe, adding: "Nicolas Otamendi has had a kick and hopefully can recover in the next couple of days."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ranieri aiming to retire at Leicester

16 March 2016

1026462header.jpg

Claudio Ranieri hopes to retire from coaching at the end of his time at Leicester City, but is open to signing a long-term deal at the King Power Stadium.

Veteran Italian Ranieri has led Leicester to a sensational Premier League title bid during his first season at the helm and the club sit top of the table with a five-point advantage over closest rivals Tottenham with eight games remaining.

Ranieri does not see himself managing another club when his time at Leicester comes to an end, but he is in no rush to call time on his career.

"I am fine in Leicester and do not think about moving. I think this will be my last club," Ranieri told Marca.

"I hope they give me a long contract, six or seven years, and then I can retire here.

"I've always had a lot of opportunities. I'm a lucky man to work in what I love most - for almost 30 years I have enjoyed my greatest passion."

Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante have been among Leicester's outstanding performers this season and have subsequently been linked with moves to the likes of Barcelona and Real Mardrid, while Jamie Vardy - the Premier League's joint-highest goalscorer this season with 19 goals - signed a new contract in February.

But Ranieri is confident of keeping hold of his prize assets, claiming they are "kings" at the club.

"I think so [we will be able to keep them]. Mahrez and Kante are just beginning; they are not over 25-years-old, have quality and must go slowly. And Vardy we already know [he will stay]" the coach added.

"We will have to see. Here in Leicester they are the kings. Everything goes well and everyone is happy, but when you go to a big club the pressure is enormous and you have to give everything."

Despite leading the way in the top-flight, Ranieri is adamant there is no pressure on his side to claim the trophy with their season objective of avoiding relegation already achieved.

"I have a tight, wonderful dressing room and the team works, but we know we have not done anything," he added.

"Everyone expects us to win the Premier League. It's amazing that in the era of money a small team is performing this feat.

"Leicester is a small club and you have to go slowly. We have achieved the most important goal, we have already won - we will play in the Premier League next season.

"Now, let's fight for the Europa League. And if we stay on top, we will try to enter the Champions League and then be champions, but we must go slowly."

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

United duo hand Van Gaal fitness boost

16 March 2016

1026448header.jpg

Ashley Young and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson have handed Manchester United a timely fitness boost after returning to training on Wednesday.

Young has not featured since United's Premier League win over Liverpool in January with a groin injury, while Borthwick-Jackson has been sidelined with a knock.

The 19-year-old defender - who has impressed since breaking into the first team at Old Trafford this season - has been unavailable for Louis van Gaal since the 3-0 FA Cup win over Shrewsbury Town on February 22.

It remains to be seen if the duo will be risked for Thursday's Europa League second-leg clash against Liverpool when United attempt to rescue a 2-0 deficit, as Van Gaal's men visit Manchester City in the Premier League for the derby on Sunday.

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal & Woodward begin planning for third season at Man Utd

2836562_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Mar 16, 2016 11:00:00

Despite the rumours linking Jose Mourinho with the top job at Old Trafford, the club's hierarchy are still behind the Dutchman and are already looking ahead to the next campaign

Louis van Gaal and Ed Woodward have started planning for Manchester United's summer 2016 transfer assault, despite rumours that the Dutchman is facing the sack following a troubled second season as manager at Old Trafford.

Van Gaal has spent much of the 2015-16 campaign staving off various claims relating to his United future, with widespread reports having linked former Chelsea and Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho with the 64-year-old's job.

However, Goal understands that executive vice-chairman Woodward has opened talks with Van Gaal over targets for the summer transfer window, underlining the club's previously-stated plan to stick with the former Ajax and Barcelona coach until his scheduled retirement in 2017.

United go into Thursday's Europa League round of 16 second-leg match against Liverpool with a 2-0 deficit to overturn, while their indifferent form in the Premier League has left them in sixth place with nine games to play. Added to their group-stage exit from the Champions League, there has been significant fuel for the constant speculation over a potential change of guard.

But Woodward's decision to entrust Van Gaal with transfer plans ahead of the 2016-17 season lends weight to United's insistence that there will be no panic changes at Old Trafford, as revealed by Goal last month. As such, Ryan Giggs remains the Dutchman's most likely successor at the end of the three-year contract Van Gaal signed in 2014, as per the club's succession plan.

Mourinho, who has been touted as a leading candidate to take over at Old Trafford at regular intervals since his dismissal from Chelsea in December 2015, admitted recently that he is unlikely to find a new job until the summer, despite his earlier claim through his management company that he was seeking an immediate return.

"I was lucky enough to have good options since I left Chelsea in December," he told BT Sport. "Yes I was lucky enough to have not just options but good options but I made a decision to wait calm in my corner, not disturbing, just waiting, reading a few lies, listen to a few lies.

"The reality is that I want to work and normally July, mid-July, new pre-season starts and somewhere I want to be there."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ranieri on revenge mission, says Desailly

ranieri-cropped_1abhlzi08vg901a5ptq8hvfoos.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Mar 17, 2016 08:30:00

The current Leicester boss was sacked by Chelsea in 2004, after the club finished second to the Arsenal 'Invincibles'

Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri is determined to prove a point to English football by winning the Premier League with Leicester City, according to Marcel Desailly.

Ranieri was sacked by Chelsea in 2004, as Jose Mourinho was lured to Stamford Bridge, despite finishing second to the Arsenal 'Invincibles', who went through the season undefeated.

The Italian is back in the Premier League and on the cusp of one the greatest achievements in football, with Leicester top of the table by five points after 30 rounds.

And as Leicester move nearer to a remarkable title, former Chelsea captain Desailly revealed Ranieri is driven by his London exit.

"Remember, Ranieri should have won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2004, but lost out to Arsenal's Invincibles," Desailly told BeIN Sport.

"That was actually Chelsea’s year, too, but because Arsenal went unbeaten he got sacked for *Mourinho. Now, he has got his revenge. Mourinho got sacked after losing to him 2-0 and he’s going to go on and win the league.

"I think Leicester will win the title. They have a few games left and it’s not just about them.

"It's also about Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester City. They don’t have that *consistency to put a run together to catch Leicester."

Desailly, who worked under Ranieri during the 64-year-old's entire four-year tenure at Chelsea, added: "He was not expecting this, but, luckily, the confidence is there and all the players understand the message he is trying to impart.

"No one expected Leicester to go this far. Other teams were hoping that one loss would suddenly put them into some difficulty, but Ranieri is an experienced coach.

"He is also a leader, sometimes too much, to the point where he scares players.

Martinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aston Villa CEO departs amid board shake-up

villapark-cropped_1pa63hyg5x0wr1qhxu5q55lv78.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Mar 17, 2016 18:03:04

Following the departure of Hendrik Almstadt and arrivals of David Bernstein and Brian Little, the club's restructuring of the board continues with another exit

Aston Villa chief executive officer Tom Fox has stepped down from his position at the Premier League club with immediate effect after 18 months in the job.

Villa have endured an abysmal campaign and sit bottom of the table, nine points from safety, with November's appointment of Remi Garde doing nothing to boost their survival hopes.

Fox becomes the second person to depart Villa Park in the space of a week, following sporting director Hendrik Almstadt's exit by mutual consent on Tuesday.

Chairman Steve Hollis will assume Fox's role until a successor is found.

"The owner [Randy Lerner] made it very clear last summer that he and I would seek to recruit a board that would put the club in a stronger position in the event that a sale didn't happen," Fox said in a statement.

"As the board has taken shape, however, it has become clear that my role also has changed.

"While I am supportive of where the board is trying to take the club, it is my feeling that given the changes they are making, it makes sense for me to seek another challenge."

Former Football Association chairman David Bernstein was appointed as a director at the Midlands club last week, joining ex-Villa manager Brian Little in a restructured board.

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buffon warns Chelsea: Conte is the boss!

17 March 2016

1026909header.jpg

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has warned Chelsea to stay in line or risk the wrath of Antonio Conte, should the Italian step into the managerial hot seat at Stamford Bridge.

Conte is tipped to join Chelsea for the 2016-17 Premier League season after confirming he will vacate his Italy post following Euro 2016 in July.

Buffon knows Conte better than most, having worked with the 46-year-old former Juve coach at club and country level.

And Buffon has told the Chelsea squad to brace themselves for Conte's hard-line stance.

"Conte is the boss of the dressing room," Buffon told the Mirror.

"He is a coach who believes in discipline and rules. There is a very strict code of conduct as to how players should behave on the field and off the field.

"Conte has very clear ideas about behaviour, respect, being on time for training, no phones during certain times.

"He doesn't do it to show he is the boss, he just wants everybody as focused as he is. He is a man who commands respect, but players want to respect him, they see how hard he works."

Buffon added: "When he is speaking he has the total focus of all the players. There is silence when he speaks. It is not just that players don't dare interrupt him, it's that they know there will always be sense in what he is saying.

"I would back him to succeed at any club in any country.

"He is obsessed with football, he is obsessed with his job, failure is just not an option for him. No professional likes to lose, but he takes it personally, for him lack of success is never an option."

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wright: Wenger could go

17 March 2016

1026932header.jpg

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright believes the end might be near for Arsene Wenger after the Frenchman saw his side crash out of the Champions League.

Arsenal were nowhere near Barcelona for much of the two legs during their round of 16 Champions League tie, losing 5-1 on aggregate following Wednesday's 3-1 defeat at Camp Nou.

The loss sent Arsenal out of a second competition in a week, having been eliminated from the FA Cup at the hands of Watford last weekend.

And Wright believes that sooner or later something has to give, particularly if Arsenal fail to win the Premier League in a season where their traditional rivals have all faltered.

"I'm not sure if he still will be there after the summer - if they don't win the league," Wright told BT Sports.

"If they finish third or fourth again, I don't know what will happen.

"Especially with how it is with Leicester and Tottenham above them and with Arsenal out of the Champions League and the FA Cup.

"The natives have turned now; more people want him out than want him in."

But Wright said that Wenger should not shoulder all the blame.

"All I will say is change is coming, something's got to happen," he said.

"[Stan] Kroenke is the one they should be putting more emphasis. Not just the boss."

Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane voiced his own criticisms of Arsenal after their Champions League exit, though his assertions were directed at the players as opposed to the manager.

"They've got a weak group of players who can't seem to lift it for certain games," he told ITV.

"The pressure seems to have got the them over the last few months. If you're at Arsenal football club and can't deal with the pressure you shouldn't be there.

"It must be hard for the manager to stomach that and the supporters when they see their players lifting it for certain games and can't do it for Watford at home or Swansea at home. They're cheating the supporters in that sense."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kluivert backs Benitez to keep Newcastle up

kluivert-cropped_142x26pdvr9531hljrr9xx3biz.jpg

By Chris Myson
Mar 17, 2016 13:55:03

The Magpies sit 19th in the Premier League table and have eight games left to preserve their top-flight status, and the Dutchman has full confidence in the former Real Madrid boss

Newcastle United have "great players" and are likely to survive relegation following the arrival of Rafael Benitez as manager, according to former striker Patrick Kluivert.

Benitez, sacked by Real Madrid in January, took over from Steve McClaren last Friday and subsequently lost his first match in charge 1-0 at Premier League leaders Leicester City on Monday.

Newcastle sit 19th in the table with only nine matches left to save their top-flight status, and a crucial derby against Sunderland next up at St James' Park on Sunday.

And Kluivert, who played for the club between 2004 and 2005, has every confidence that Benitez will do enough to keep the club afloat.

"Newcastle is a great club with great players," he told Omnisport. "Every year they succeed in buying good players, but every club needs a good team and if you are a team you can shine as an individual.

"Rafael Benitez is a good trainer. He has shown that at various clubs. I know him quite well. He's a trainer who likes to look at the statistics.

"If he is a good trainer for Newcastle, we will see. I think that he can bring them out of the relegation, that's really what I think.

"They are struggling at the moment. It's not nice to see a club where you played having such struggles.

"If they come [to me for help] I am always happy to speak with them because Newcastle United always stays in my heart. If you have played for a club, you would like to help them."