• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious How can SMRT Desmond Quack receive over $1 million in performance bonuses? WTF?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - Transport operator SMRT Corp has cut the pay of its chief executive Desmond Kuek - a rare move in the corporate universe.

Mr Kuek, 53, received a total remuneration of $1.87 million for the financial year ended March 31 - down from $2.31 million the year before.

This was revealed in the company's newly-released annual report, which revealed more on Mr Kuek's compensation. It said that his basic salary was $830,955, while his variable performance pay was $1,040,759, making a total of $1,871,714.

It said Mr Kuek earned $2,311,023 the year before - $793,170 in basic salary and $1,517,853 in variable.

The number of SMRT shares awarded to him however, remained unchanged at 260,000.

Before his pay cut, Mr Kuek's compensation was the heftiest that SMRT has paid any of its chief executives.

The latest package is in the ballpark of what his predecessor, Ms Saw Phaik Hwa, got before she left.

The company did not say why Mr Kuek's pay was crimped, but last year, it defended his record remuneration. It said it was benchmarked against the pay of CEOs of peer companies, and that it was competitive and at a responsible level.

It added that Mr Kuek's tasks were more daunting than before.

SMRT has been struggling to renew ageing operating assets to improve service reliability and at the same time looking for new ways to bolster earnings eroded by higher operating expenditure.

When he joined the rail operator in October 2012, he was paid $611,000 for the six months to SMRT's financial year-end in March 2013.

If annualised, it would translate to an annual package of $1.22 million. For the year ended March 2014, he made between $1.75 million and $2 million.

Commenting on the pay cut, human resource practitioner Alex Yew, managing partner of headhunter Team Savant, said: "Some may link it to the recent mishaps and service outages, but I think it is more in line with market sentiment and company performance.

"It's still a very decent salary."

SMRT has two other senior executives in the million-dollar club, but SMRT said it was not in the interest of the company to disclose details "given the wage discrepancies in the industry, and the competitive pressures that may result from such disclosure".

Over at ComfortDelGro Corp, a much larger transport group than SMRT, chief executive Kua Hong Pak's remuneration remained unchanged at between $1.75 million and $2 million. But Mr Kua has six million outstanding share options as at end-2015.

iamhere

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - Transport operator SMRT Corp has cut the pay of its chief executive Desmond Kuek - a rare move in the corporate universe.

Mr Kuek, 53, received a total remuneration of $1.87 million for the financial year ended March 31 - down from $2.31 million the year before.

This was revealed in the company's newly-released annual report, which revealed more on Mr Kuek's compensation. It said that his basic salary was $830,955, while his variable performance pay was $1,040,759, making a total of $1,871,714.

It said Mr Kuek earned $2,311,023 the year before - $793,170 in basic salary and $1,517,853 in variable.

The number of SMRT shares awarded to him however, remained unchanged at 260,000.

Before his pay cut, Mr Kuek's compensation was the heftiest that SMRT has paid any of its chief executives.

The latest package is in the ballpark of what his predecessor, Ms Saw Phaik Hwa, got before she left.

The company did not say why Mr Kuek's pay was crimped, but last year, it defended his record remuneration. It said it was benchmarked against the pay of CEOs of peer companies, and that it was competitive and at a responsible level.

SMRT has been struggling to renew ageing operating assets to improve service reliability and at the same time looking for new ways to bolster earnings eroded by higher operating expenditure.

When he joined the rail operator in October 2012, he was paid $611,000 for the six months to SMRT's financial year-end in March 2013.

If annualised, it would translate to an annual package of $1.22 million. For the year ended March 2014, he made between $1.75 million and $2 million.

Commenting on the pay cut, human resource practitioner Alex Yew, managing partner of headhunter Team Savant, said: "Some may link it to the recent mishaps and service outages, but I think it is more in line with market sentiment and company performance.

"It's still a very decent salary."

SMRT has two other senior executives in the million-dollar club, but SMRT said it was not in the interest of the company to disclose details "given the wage discrepancies in the industry, and the competitive pressures that may result from such disclosure".

Over at ComfortDelGro Corp, a much larger transport group than SMRT, chief executive Kua Hong Pak's remuneration remained unchanged at between $1.75 million and $2 million. But Mr Kua has six million outstanding share options as at end-2015.

don't reckon the word "decent" bland in well with the background story of cronyism......

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Would like to know what these old folks collecting cardboards "for exercise" think of this!

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor guy had a huge paycut!! We should have some pity on him!! hehe.. :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What competition? Zero. SBS and SMRT operate different lines ...they are NOT competing!
Peer companies - there is only one !
Business treats sinkees like idiots - feed us bs and we don't challenge them.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

And they paid him handsomely even before he accomplished anything.

The board is made up of dumbos ...how could they accept Kuek's plan when he said it would take him five years to resolve the current problems besetting SMRT. Five years! It is a business and there is NO luxury of time.

It is a good thing that he retire from SAF ...imagine him planning for battle ...he will tell his troops that it will take him five years to prepare for the battle.

That's why sinkapore is in deep shit ...when PAP identifies people like Desmond as talent!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why is he deserving of a 100 percent bonus? Shareholders should whack the board on this. Look at all the bad press and the failures ...and the board gives him a 100 percent bonus!

Only in sinkapore that mediocrity is rewarded with double pay!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's clear as daylight the SMRT board is a bunch of dumbos, on par or maybe even worse than those jokers in FAS!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you dun like the actor can dun pay for the movie? Of course you must pay for performance.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah lao work one year can earn 260,000 smrt shares?

this is beyond capitalism,this is bullshit.how can such worthless cunts be awarded millions?singapore's meritocractic administrative system is beyond ridiculous.giving such useless incompetent individuals millions is tantamount to corruption.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
See la see la, you all social media no good wan. Keep raising my name and associate me with those breakdowns which are faults of those lowly technicians. You all should had slam them instead of me Ma. Now must wayang for a pay cut, you are happy now?

MRT so exclusive and no competition, how not to achieve KPIs and more than 100% bonus, on top of my already high basic?

Now I need to go French cooking class with less than premium abalones. How to experience fine dining ,Ike that?

You all Har, really must thank your lucky stars you get to get so close to Mei meis, maybe a couple ah nehs only, yet never thank me.

Never mind, lower basic can get back in 200% bonus next year. Is only how KPIs are set only mah. Chey!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See la see la, you all social media no good wan. Keep raising my name and associate me with those breakdowns which are faults of those lowly technicians. You all should had slam them instead of me Ma. Now must wayang for a pay cut, you are happy now?

MRT so exclusive and no competition, how not to achieve KPIs and more than 100% bonus, on top of my already high basic?

Now I need to go French cooking class with less than premium abalones. How to experience fine dining ,Ike that?

You all Har, really must thank your lucky stars you get to get so close to Mei meis, maybe a couple ah nehs only, yet never thank me.

Never mind, lower basic can get back in 200% bonus next year. Is only how KPIs are set only mah. Chey!

nothing is more shocking than his pay can jump from 500k to 1.5m in just one year after being parachuted in as ceo.who is the board of directors of smrt?who agreed to his performance reviews?all jiak liao bees?ownself review ownself?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is he deserving of a 100 percent bonus? Shareholders should whack the board on this. Look at all the bad press and the failures ...and the board gives him a 100 percent bonus!

Only in sinkapore that mediocrity is rewarded with double pay!

Who is the major shareholder? other than the nominees of the banks etc....the major shareholder of the company, approve the appointment of their own "kind"....& they 'approve' the appointment of the board...how can they "slap themselves"??? :rolleyes:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they paid him handsomely even before he accomplished anything.

Sinkie mentality is easy to fathom. Just look at how PAP won elections after elections even though there were massive cronyism and corruption.

Five years! It is a business and there is NO luxury of time.

The PAP has taken more than five years and ordinary Sinkies haven't got their Swiss standard of living. And 69.9% of the electorate is OK with it....

when PAP identifies people like Desmond as talent!

A little bird from the West told me that Chief Natural Aristocrat wants people whom he can rely on when there's a coup d'etat. Critical infrastructure such as public transport, public utilities, internet, telephony, etc must be helmed by people Pinky can trust.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If clawbacks were done on the ivory tower for all the failures, we could be looking at 100 billion USD.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tis is wat u get wen u haf a skolar wif no relevant industry experience helming a biz corporation ...

sinkielanz skolars system n iz obssession wif skolars is killing sinkielan ...