• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat History of a "Community Service"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. In those days the days the taboo subjects were Emigration, price of HDB flats, PAP MPs, the agenda behind GRC, PAP and Lee family cronies and the democratic world outside. All these subjects were either banned by the Media or it was outright slant. These are now found all over the online world and netizens and bloggers are a plenty. Now you cannot tell the rubbish from the good stuff. Mr Brown who was well regarded and gave the govt a helluva time is now into product reviews. Even our Mr Lucky who started life here ran a serious blog with well researched article gave up.

One example of a restricted society then was that the Migration agencies were prohibited from advertising in the local press. They would conduct their business by word of mouth and surreptitiously in hotel rooms. SBF members than started sharing their experiences. Among the members were few and usual detractors. Either they did not qualify or had bad experiences. Some member you could not convince. They will only be convinced if the Prime Minister issues a Govt Gazette personally to them. It was that bad.

The big occasion was the run-up to the 2006 elections and in many ways we had to thank GMS, Locke, Perspective and few others who gave us glimpse of WP and how the opposition worked. There were lots of discussion on strategy and tactics, whether useful or not it did not matter. People felt included in the destiny of the country. It helped politicise the electorate online and I sure Sam had to handle the surge in traffic. If you wanted the latest on the elections, there was no other forum except SBF. Mr Brown, Alex and Mr Miyagi ran the in depth analysis. They carried some of the stories that they found here including respected journalist Seah Chaing Nee who wrote for the Star and had his own blog.

Sam however used to get mad with one forummer who was very helpful but insisted on posting large posters taking up valuable bandwidth during elections. It was like massive domestic argument. He would also screw the daylights of those who copied a whole chunk of text.

In those day the detractors had to behave. Thread disruption was not intentional and the TCSS was done in the right threads and it was trivial, and fun. It broke the monotony on dull days.

There there also memorable events such as the entry of Loaded888.

Form your post, those must be the good old days. People came in to 'open their eyes' and assist one another.

I suspect it is now on a downward trajectory with lots of nonsense from the you-know-whos.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. In those days the days the taboo subjects were Emigration, price of HDB flats, PAP MPs, the agenda behind GRC, PAP and Lee family cronies and the democratic world outside. All these subjects were either banned by the Media or it was outright slant. These are now found all over the online world and netizens and bloggers are a plenty. Now you cannot tell the rubbish from the good stuff. Mr Brown who was well regarded and gave the govt a helluva time is now into product reviews. Even our Mr Lucky who started life here ran a serious blog with well researched article gave up.

One example of a restricted society then was that the Migration agencies were prohibited from advertising in the local press. They would conduct their business by word of mouth and surreptitiously in hotel rooms. SBF members than started sharing their experiences. Among the members were few and usual detractors. Either they did not qualify or had bad experiences. Some member you could not convince. They will only be convinced if the Prime Minister issues a Govt Gazette personally to them. It was that bad.

The big occasion was the run-up to the 2006 elections and in many ways we had to thank GMS, Locke, Perspective and few others who gave us glimpse of WP and how the opposition worked. There were lots of discussion on strategy and tactics, whether useful or not it did not matter. People felt included in the destiny of the country. It helped politicise the electorate online and I sure Sam had to handle the surge in traffic. If you wanted the latest on the elections, there was no other forum except SBF. Mr Brown, Alex and Mr Miyagi ran the in depth analysis. They carried some of the stories that they found here including respected journalist Seah Chaing Nee who wrote for the Star and had his own blog.

Sam however used to get mad with one forummer who was very helpful but insisted on posting large posters taking up valuable bandwidth during elections. It was like massive domestic argument. He would also screw the daylights of those who copied a whole chunk of text.

In those day the detractors had to behave. Thread disruption was not intentional and the TCSS was done in the right threads and it was trivial, and fun. It broke the monotony on dull days.

Thanks for the history lesson. Appreciated. Will alert loaded888 to return.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The big occasion was the run-up to the 2006 elections and in many ways we had to thank GMS, Locke, Perspective and few others who gave us glimpse of WP and how the opposition worked. There were lots of discussion on strategy and tactics, whether useful or not it did not matter. People felt included in the destiny of the country. It helped politicise the electorate online and I sure Sam had to handle the surge in traffic.

Every election brought back much activity in this place. 1997 was the big starting point and there was never a dull place here. All hustlings were reported here. There was a thread how to morally encourage JBJ and there was one forumer who made the courageous step to approach him and he was 'trembling' so to speak as he recalled his moments here. Such fun and great memories.

Loaded888 - kinda forgot what he had posted. Just remember his exposes was extraordinary.

Scroobal, I did go through some of old threads you have posted before with some others on this history of SBF. Very good memories. Good work!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every election brought back much activity in this place. 1997 was the big starting point and there was never a dull place here. All hustlings were reported here. There was a thread how to morally encourage JBJ and there was one forumer who made the courageous step to approach him and he was 'trembling' so to speak as he recalled his moments here. Such fun and great memories.

Loaded888 - kinda forgot what he had posted. Just remember his exposes was extraordinary.

Scroobal, I did go through some of old threads you have posted before with some others on this history of SBF. Very good memories. Good work!

loaded888 exposed the SPF and its key officers on its sex and $ scandals. even wong kan seng panicked and directed a full-scale investigation. loaded888's info was spot on. he stopped.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
loaded888 exposed the SPF and its key officers on its sex and $ scandals. even wong kan seng panicked and directed a full-scale investigation. loaded888's info was spot on. he stopped.

Oh ok, this brought back the remembrance. I did recall you did post something interesting then...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old man wanted to know what was going on as well. I recall clearly that people who knew full well what SBF was pretended that they had no idea what it was when emails were flying. They suspected the old man was worried about leaks coming from his ex SOs and the issue about Customs Dir general designate who misappropriated funds.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Brothel Press and its journalists never quite figured out how to deal with SBF. They needed SBF for sure, but yet their political overlords resented SBF for what it stood for and the information that was posted here. This site frequently saw damaging info about the establishment posted before any other site picked it up. Then you also have the ethics problem concerning Singapore journalists. And then we've also seen one go berserk.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old man wanted to know what was going on as well. I recall clearly that people who knew full well what SBF was pretended that they had no idea what it was when emails were flying. They suspected the old man was worried about leaks coming from his ex SOs and the issue about Customs Dir general designate who misappropriated funds.

my hunch is that wks and his kakis were afraid of more shit coming their way. i was reliably told almost the entire mha would log in and check the latest news, even during office hours. those mentioned also felt uneasy when they step in to office and became overly suspicious when others started whispering to each other.

just one thread and the entire mha shook!

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's time Sam declare this forum is now gay antics free with proper supervision and control so that new members can come in and contribute without fear of getting hassled. Change the rep rules. Points can only go up and not deducted down. Singapore still needs sammyboy as part of its salvation.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's time Sam declare this forum is now gay antics free with proper supervision and control so that new members can come in and contribute without fear of getting hassled. Change the rep rules. Points can only go up and not deducted down. Singapore still needs sammyboy as part of its salvation.

i am with you on this.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another post that made me ponder before I shoot my mouth off. Sometime ago I went to Mr Brown's site and looked around. He seems to found his zest again with his new focus on cycling and new product reviews. He also seemed to have met some nice people on and offline. After the MICA affair with him and the new Yaacob rules plus the $50k deposit it was not worth it of him

Looking at Krafty covering all the financials, investment, Sing dollar, gold, oil etc for example, it might worth stepping back to your early post about looking at the whole concept. Pointless not enjoying what you are doing. It was a bloody good run and many of us carry great memories.

It's nice to reminisce but the heart is no longer in it. The primary reason for this is that I no longer feel in control of things.

In the good old days I felt I knew just about everything that was necessary to run a website. Now the programming is way beyond me and when it comes to mobile apps I haven't even got off the ground.

This is where I lose out to SPH on line especially on the mobile platform. I don't have an IT department. It's just me.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if you remember the episode when Journalist were not happy with the sacking of an editor by the establishment that they came to SBF to give a blow by blow account.

Behind Mano Sabnani's Resignation at TODAY
These are some intriguing revelations about Mano Sabnani's "resignation" received from an insider.
Hello everyone

I registered this nickname a little more than a week ago after I heard that there were parties inside Mediacorp who were making a move to sack Mano Sabnani as Today's chief editor. Little did I know how ugly it would become.

On the surface, the corporate communications machine of Mediacorp will present everything as very nice and orderly. What you read here will be a reasonably accurate account related to me of what actually happened and not what you will read in Today, Channel News Asia, Straits Times or Business Times.

I had waited until I got a clear picture from my contact before I post this, therefore there was bit of a delay.

Mano is not a bad person. He may be dull and unexciting, even a coward before the civil servants who oversee him, but he was treated as pariah by his peers.

On Oct 31, Today had a senior editors' meeting which Shaun Seow presided. Mano lost his editorial independence not during the recent Mr Brown affair, but some years earlier, during the Val Chua affair. For those of you not familiar with the matter, just do a Google search on Val Chua, Mano Sabnani and you will find a lot of material on the Net. Since the Val Chua affair, Mano had to report to Shaun within the Mediacorp stable. All reports involving cabinet ministers must be vetted by Shaun and his team at Mediacorp HQ, not at Today.

There are no real editors at Today, they are all a bunch of word processors. They send good reporters like Derrick Paulo and Ansley Ng to cover political happenings, then censor and rewrite everything to suit their political masters.

In fact, Derrick Paulo mounted a campaign within the Today office to protest the newspaper's suspension of Mr Brown. He got many of his colleagues to wear brown on a day when Shaun was to give a talk to the staff there. What he did not know was that had severely undermined Mano, who was already being pushed out by the other senior people in Mediacorp. They saw how weak Mano was in front of Derrick and took full advantage of the situation.

Shaun is a former president scholar and his entire career is scripted to perfection. As long as he serves his political masters, his career will be smooth. Even the conviction of Zahara Latif for maid abuse within the Seow household did little more than embarrass him. Goh Chok Tong wrote a letter to support Zahara during her mitigation hearing.

During the Oct 31 meeting, Mano was not able to speak because his ex-gratia payment was held back unless he played ball. Shaun humiliated Mano by paying lip service to his contribution and saying how the newspaper will move ahead without him. Most of the editors were too afraid for their jobs and kept generally quiet as they watched Mano run to the ground and abused. This coming from Shaun, was no surprise, for like Zahara, he is an abuser. Shaun is many years younger than Mano and behaved like an arrogant brat wielding too much power for his own good.

Worse was to come. After a polite round of applause for Mano's three years in the newspaper, they proceeded to the newsroom where Mano's resignation was announced to all the staff. All of Today's staff gathered outside Mano's room. Shaun announced the changes and talked about new directions, while Mano sat inside his room (glass walls) in full view to all the staff, with his face buried in his hands in front of his computer screen.

Somebody in the crowd interrupted Shaun when he felt that Shaun had gone too far. He asked for the real reason why Mano was leaving. Shaun then said that there are many confidential things that cannot be publicised.

Slowly there was a pair of hands clapping, then more and more. They wanted Mano to come out and address them. Mano came out, and keeping in mind that his payment has been withheld, said he had nothing to say. They wouldn't let him go and kept clapping. Mano had no choice but to respond. So he said to the staff that they should not worry about him and move on. His voice was shaking, then he went back into his room a sad and broken man, humiliated and traumatised.

Led by Shaun and director Philip Koh, Today brought back PN Balji, who was the founding editor of the paper. Balji is a much more colourful character than Mano but is of questionable character. Balji is closely tied to TT Durai, the disgraced head of the former National Kidney Foundation. The auditor's report into the NKF fraud and deception showed that Balji was one of the parties who flew first class with Durai. Together with Durai and his gang, they abused the charity's funds, but while Durai is now in the docks, Balji has gotten away scot free because he knows how to butter up his political masters.

More worrying for many of the Today staff is that a new guy named Walter Fernandez was brought in from Channel News Asia where he was a faithful lap dog of Shaun Seow to oversee Today's day-to-day operations. Walter is a scholar and another spineless idiot who is where he is only because he knows how and whose balls to carry.

I will update further when I hear of more developments.

[Unsigned]
Update:
Just to keep everyone up to speed: Walter Fernandez is the younger (darker) brother of Warren Fernandez, Political Editor of The Straits Times. Both are SPH scholars and faithful running dogs peddling propaganda spin for the leeches. Both are SJI alumni. Warren was one of the authors for the chief LEEch's paean to his despotic achievements disguised as an autobiographical tome. Enough said

The Brothel Press and its journalists never quite figured out how to deal with SBF. They needed SBF for sure, but yet their political overlords resented SBF for what it stood for and the information that was posted here. This site frequently saw damaging info about the establishment posted before any other site picked it up. Then you also have the ethics problem concerning Singapore journalists. And then we've also seen one go berserk.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if you remember the episode when Journalist were not happy with the sacking of an editor by the establishment that they came to SBF to give a blow by blow account.

The Devil sure know how to buy the souls of entire families. The Chua sisters, the Fernandez brothers, the Ibrahim familia and the Jeyaratnams. The Jeyaratnams were not so successful a coup because the ex banker was a bloody idiot.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you imagine the Prime Minister of Singapore writing a character reference letter for maid abuse. People were just shocked. It tells you the symbiotic relationship between the PAP and the Journalist. And to your earlier post on another thread about an editor who was only fined for causing death in a traffic incident while she was on the phone.

The Devil sure know how to buy the souls of entire families. The Chua sisters, the Fernandez brothers, the Ibrahim familia and the Jeyaratnams. The Jeyaratnams were not so successful a coup because the ex banker was a bloody idiot.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can you imagine the Prime Minister of Singapore writing a character reference letter for maid abuse. People were just shocked. It tells you the symbiotic relationship between the PAP and the Journalist. And to your earlier post on another thread about an editor who was only fined for causing death in a traffic incident while she was on the phone.

what was the punishment meted out to the reporter? market rate sentence? or something similar to nassim jade discount?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zahara Latiff was sentenced to 2 months jail. Family and she heavily involved with Marine Parade GRC. She wrote GCT's national day speeches. Shaun Seow subsequently divorced her.

what was the punishment meted out to the reporter? market rate sentence? or something similar to nassim jade discount?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zahara Latiff was sentenced to 2 months jail. Family and she heavily involved with Marine Parade GRC. She wrote GCT's national day speeches. Shaun Seow subsequently divorced her.

thanks. 2 mths sound consistent with maid abuse cases. the injuries must be quite bad.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Another post that made me ponder before I shoot my mouth off. Sometime ago I went to Mr Brown's site and looked around. He seems to found his zest again with his new focus on cycling and new product reviews. He also seemed to have met some nice people on and offline. After the MICA affair with him and the new Yaacob rules plus the $50k deposit it was not worth it of him

Looking at Krafty covering all the financials, investment, Sing dollar, gold, oil etc for example, it might worth stepping back to your early post about looking at the whole concept. Pointless not enjoying what you are doing. It was a bloody good run and many of us carry great memories.

Mr Brown did not operate from the shadows so he is free to morph into other areas.

I could actually create a great blog and since this site is already well known, there would be no problems sustaining a web presence where I blog about my cycling and my equipment (I have six bikes and still counting), photography and gear plus many other things including travel. It would make fascinating reading for the average sinkie stuck in a rut in sinkieland (which 60% fall into for sure).

However as I have said many times I'm still a firm believer that cyberlife and real life should never overlap and that no amount of google revenue would make it worthwhile.