• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teaching sinkees how not to invest

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you follow the investing tips here, you will be broke. The CFA panel is bunch of incompetents, judging by their investment advice here.

http://business.asiaone.com/news/all-3-portfolios-outperform-benchmarks

With sinkapore only a tiny dot, so much is invested in local equities. A knowledgeable professional will tell you that this is stupid and risky. There is a big world out there and the potential for growth is there, not in tiny peesai.

If the panel develop a portfolio with an investment horizon for 5-10 years, why measure the performance in 4 months?

Stay away from Asian equities.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You should invest in your area of expertise - be it equities, properties, your professional / management skills, and not venture heavily into the unknown. I know each people who lost a lot of money because they invested on a friend's tip or got carried away by some slick talker at motivation seminar or MLM.

An ancient chink general once said that if you know your enemy and know yourself, you would not end up as someone else's bitch.

I made my wealth by investing in myself. I exercise to stay healthy, read up and attend course to brush up my professional skills, and I set up a business with some friends which provided good returns. I then invested a large part of the profits into safe rent-seeking and capital appreciation assets like property, REITs and equities that pay regular dividend.

chongpangchixwings

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
@JohnTan, I rarely agree with your views but this is one of the times that I do. The TS is giving some form of financial advice but it is neither here nor there. The knowledgable and seasoned veterans are probably invested here and internationally but the people who read the stuff on this forum may not be. I suspect from his many posts that the TS does not like the Government very much so his advice may be somewhat slanted and biased.
To invest in foreign markets one should as you say do a lot of research and think through things very carefully and also weigh one's risk appetite
It is tough enough to make money even in our own market much less overseas.
If you have done as well as you claim then all I can say is well done but either way your advice is better than his.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
@JohnTan, I rarely agree with your views but this is one of the times that I do. The TS is giving some form of financial advice but it is neither here nor there. The knowledgable and seasoned veterans are probably invested here and internationally but the people who read the stuff on this forum may not be. I suspect from his many posts that the TS does not like the Government very much so his advice may be somewhat slanted and biased.
To invest in foreign markets one should as you say do a lot of research and think through things very carefully and also weigh one's risk appetite
It is tough enough to make money even in our own market much less overseas.
If you have done as well as you claim then all I can say is well done but either way your advice is better than his.

U must be joking right?john tan is just spouting random garbage trying to sound knowledgeable and philosophical.a bunch of vague generalities that mean nothing at all.if anything john tan sounds like a slick salesman on the shopping channel or mlm trying to impress u with simple flashy arguments.invest in what u are good at?what does the general public know about anything,a chink generaljac once said?what the fuck?invest in oneself?set up business with a friend that was profitable?invest in urselchinkurself
xercising and professional skills?safe rent seeking and capital appreciation assets?
At least ts is astute enough to see the limitations and dangers of the local market and understand what the "professionals" are doing.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
U must be joking right?john tan is just spouting random garbage trying to sound knowledgeable and philosophical.a bunch of vague generalities that mean nothing at all.if anything john tan sounds like a slick salesman on the shopping channel or mlm trying to impress u with simple flashy arguments.invest in what u are good at?what does the general public know about anything,a chink generaljac once said?what the fuck?invest in oneself?set up business with a friend that was profitable?invest in urselchinkurself
xercising and professional skills?safe rent seeking and capital appreciation assets?
At least ts is astute enough to see the limitations and dangers of the local market and understand what the "professionals" are doing.

Most successful people get rich due to their full-time job as employee or business owner, not punting the stock market or buying 4D. Yes, we all wish we were that guy who bought a ton of Apple or Google shares cheap years ago. But most people actually lose money punting on shares or lottery.

Invest in yourself by improving on your professional skills. Network more and volunteer to do work that is more valuable than what you are currently doing. If possible, do a small business and work for yourself. Invest in your health by exercising because you are your best wealth generator. If you fall really sick or get something like stroke, your ability to earn money and do high quality work is finished.

Happy disagreeing with my advice. We rich people need more poor people to spend the rest of their lives slogging real hard but still staying poor.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need so difficult if want to loose big money. Just follow the tried and proven Marta of an exceptional person :

Buy high, sell low.

If you do not want to loose money, just reshuffle the first and third words. Simple as that.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should invest in your area of expertise - be it equities, properties, your professional / management skills, and not venture heavily into the unknown. I know each people who lost a lot of money because they invested on a friend's tip or got carried away by some slick talker at motivation seminar or MLM.

An ancient chink general once said that if you know your enemy and know yourself, you would not end up as someone else's bitch.

I made my wealth by investing in myself. I exercise to stay healthy, read up and attend course to brush up my professional skills, and I set up a business with some friends which provided good returns. I then invested a large part of the profits into safe rent-seeking and capital appreciation assets like property, REITs and equities that pay regular dividend.

Live a thrifty life and invest in property and become a landlord. You will never ever be someone's else bitch in your life. Only people bitched about you becos they are sour grapes.

Last edited:

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Invest in your health by exercising because you are your best wealth generator. If you fall really sick or get something like stroke, your ability to earn money and do high quality work is finished.
this is the only point I couldn't not agreed

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need so difficult if want to loose big money. Just follow the tried and proven Marta of an exceptional person :

Buy high, sell low.

If you do not want to loose money, just reshuffle the first and third words. Simple as that.

every fucker know this theory of buy low sell high.but why still so many loser?
after a year of research, I realized it got to do with greed.
2 questions must sure asked.
how high is high?
how low is low?

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. Simple advice that is hard to follow. Well said.

Most successful people get rich due to their full-time job as employee or business owner, not punting the stock market or buying 4D. Yes, we all wish we were that guy who bought a ton of Apple or Google shares cheap years ago. But most people actually lose money punting on shares or lottery.

Invest in yourself by improving on your professional skills. Network more and volunteer to do work that is more valuable than what you are currently doing. If possible, do a small business and work for yourself. Invest in your health by exercising because you are your best wealth generator. If you fall really sick or get something like stroke, your ability to earn money and do high quality work is finished.

Happy disagreeing with my advice. We rich people need more poor people to spend the rest of their lives slogging real hard but still staying poor.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From my experience if you want to make $ avoid investing locally.

When I was starting my investment career I divided my investments into the local market, Malaysian & US market. Over time I saw the difference in performance.

You can do that by getting an account with a US discount broker e.g. Think&swim.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. Simple advice that is hard to follow. Well said.

People are drawn to advice that are simple,easy to understand,interesting and catchy,thats why books like the law of attraction and rich dad poor dad and adam koo motivational talks are so popular.nobody wants to read tomes filled with hundreds of pages of dry boring theory filled with chapters of charts,statistics and historical data and analysis.and put in the hundreds and thousands of hours of study and work to be competent at something or understand what they are doing.be it programming or music theory or poker or real estate investing or becomming a millionaire.mark cuban when starting his computer business would spend hours everyday reading everything he can on computers.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Warren buffet loves to read since he was young and spends hours reading everyday.he loves reading company prospectus in his free time.has anyone read a company's prospectus before? If the average idiot on the street read companies prospectus in their free time,their business acumen and investing decisions will be 1000 times better and everyone would be filthy rich multi multi millionaires and mini warren buffets.u think become successful by tikam tikam,living a holistic lifestyle,exercise and doing yoga and singing kumbaya my lord and thinking positive thoughts and attracting ssucces and wealth to you thru laws of attraction?no they get there by knowing the fuck what they are doing and burying themselves in the books and knowledge and having the balls and courage to execute what they know.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If you follow the investing tips here, you will be broke. The CFA panel is bunch of incompetents, judging by their investment advice here.

With sinkapore only a tiny dot, so much is invested in local equities. A knowledgeable professional will tell you that this is stupid and risky. There is a big world out there and the potential for growth is there, not in tiny peesai.

If the panel develop a portfolio with an investment horizon for 5-10 years, why measure the performance in 4 months?

This little exercise put out by the CFA Society of singapore really illustrates what I knew all along. They are a bunch of retards. Can someone kindly point out to them that the benchmark is useless and that all their 3 candidates are actually in the red. Forget about the 2.91% net total return from the girl, to the highest performer at 4.23% total return. You have to measure all their performance against the CPI/Inflation rate. If the inflation rate is 5%, even if you earn a lousy 4.23%, you are losing money in real terms and have a negative rate of return. The trick is what is the real inflation rate in singapore. If you believe the govt and MAS and their fake stats, then inflation rate has been negative since 2015. Hahahah, and less then 2% in 2014. But empirical evidence indicates a much higher inflation rate with the transportation costs increase, food, etc. I would not be surprised at all if it was over 5%. These 3 idiots that the article is singing praises off are all under 5% rate of return, in other words, an epic fail.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes I agree,in the grand scheme of things,singapore market and companies is nothing,america stock market is roughly 17 trillion,they represent a huge chunk of the world market,next biggest will be europe then japan and china and germany,we should be looking to diversify in all these engines of growth.pee sai is next to insignificant,although its fun to own a few sg dividend chips.