• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ La Liga Season 2015-16 ★

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real face anxious wait over De Gea as window shuts

31 August 2015

902955header.jpg

Real Madrid fans face an anxious wait to see if Manchester united goalkeeper David de Gea has signed for the club, with widespread reports in Spain indicating a delay in completing the paperwork has scuppered the deal.

Sopain international De Gea was expected to complete a Spanish deadline-day move to Real, with Keylor Navas going the other way.

But the transfer window has now shut in Spain and De Gea is still not a Real Madrid player.

Upon the midnight deadline passing, a frenzy of reports in Spain have indicated the deal is off after La Liga officials did not receive the relevant documents in time, meaning that one of the biggest transfer sagas of the window may have come to anti-climactic end.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Joaquin makes Betis return alongside Van Wolfswinkel

31 August 2015

902956header.jpg

Joaquin got his wish for a return to boyhood club Real Betis from Fiorentina and the Liga outfit also signed Ricky van Wolfswinkel on loan from Norwich City late on transfer deadline day.

Former Spain winger Joaquin has made no secret of his desire to head home as he was no longer happy in Florence.

And Betis confirmed on Monday that the 34-year-old fans' favourite will return to Seville on a three-year deal - nine years after he left the club to join Valencia.

Having left Valencia to join Malaga in 2011, Fiorentina gave Joaquin the opportunity to showcase his talents in Serie A.

He spent six seasons at Betis after coming through the ranks before making the move to the Mestalla, playing his part in the club's Copa del Rey success in 2005.

The vastly experienced wideman, who won 51 caps for his country, is to be presented at the Benito Villamarin Stadium on Tuesday evening in what will be an emotional return to the club.

Striker Van Wolfswinkel will stay at Betis until the end of the season after spending the 2014/15 campaign with Saint-Etienne.

The Netherlands international has endured a frustrating time at Carrow Road after big things were expected of him following a move from Sporting Lisbon two years ago.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Deadline Day: Uncertainty over De Gea future, Joaquin back at Betis

31 August 2015

902980header.jpg

Uncertainty over the future of David de Gea continued after the transfer deadline closed in Spain as neither Manchester United nor Real Madrid confirmed a deal had gone through.

Speculation over Spain goalkeeper De Gea's future has rumbled on for months, but it appeared that the 24-year-old was set to return to Madrid ahead of Monday's deadline.

However, reports suggested a proposed deal which would have seen Keylor Navas move to Old Trafford had fallen through due to a delay in submitting the paperwork.

De Gea has not yet featured for United this season, with manager Louis van Gaal stating that the former Atletico Madrid man has not been in the right frame of mind due to the ongoing transfer saga.

It appears that De Gea may now face a further wait to discover whether his time in the Premier League has now come to an end.

Real Betis also left it late to seal a deal to bring Joaquin back to his boyhood club from Fiorentina.

The 34-year-old winger returned to the Sevilla club nine years after leaving for Valencia, having expressed his wish to finish his career at home.

Joaquin, who made a name for himself at Betis and went on to win 51 caps for Spain, signed a three-year deal with Pepe Mel's side.

Betis also brought in striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel on loan from Premier League side Norwich City for the season.

Sevilla were active on deadline day, completing a loan move for Inter defender Marco Andreolli with a view to a permanent deal.

Villarreal added to their attacking ranks by luring Adrian Lopez from Porto on a season-long loan, with Raul Garcia's switch from Atleti to Athletic Bilbao confirmed earlier in the day.

Malaga snapped up teenage playmaker Hachim Mastour on a two-year loan from Milan after also sealing the return of Paraguay international Roque Santa Cruz from Cruz Azul.

Espanyol confirmed the signing of midfielder Pape Diop from Levante on a three-year deal, while centre-back Doria joined Granada on loan from Marseille as striker Jhon Cordoba left Jose Ramon Sandoval's side to join Mainz on loan.

Attacker Izet Hajrovic linked up with Eibar on loan from Werder Bremen for the season, and Getafe made a late move for Celtic's Serbian striker Stefan Scepovic on a season-long loan.

Javi Guerra leaves Cardiff City to join Rayo Vallecano, who have also signed ex-Spain winger Pablo Hernandez.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Pique and Ramos are the best centre-backs in the world' - Bartra

sergio-ramos-gerard-pique-spain-costa-rica-11062015_1t886x8gv7avv19gyjgq75k0gn.jpg

By Tom Maston
Sep 3, 2015 18:45:00

The Barcelona defender is relishing the chance to impress at international level but admits it will be tough to break into the starting XI

Spain duo Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique are the best central defenders in the world, according to team-mate Marc Bartra.

The Barcelona defender has been called up to Vicente Del Bosque's squad for the upcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers against Slovakia and Macedonia despite failing to start either of Barcelona's opening two Liga clashes.

And the 24-year-old believes current partnership Ramos and Pique will be difficult to break apart due to their ability and experience.

"I'm really happy to be in the squad. I've spent years climbing through the youth ranks to get here and now I'm working on playing in the senior team.

"I'm really thrilled. The challenges are getting greater, as is my excitement. I feel I have the support of both my team-mates and the gaffer.

"It's a thrilling challenge to give 200 percent to improve my game, develop as a player and stamp my mark on the national team. I'm exactly where I want to be, in the first team at Barcelona and in the Spain squad."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thursday September 3 2015

Pedro: Iniesta facilitated my exit

pedro-iniesta490epa.jpg

By Football Espana staff

Pedro Rodriguez has revealed that Andres Iniesta played a key role in pushing through his transfer from Barcelona to Chelsea.

The winger long maintained a desire to leave Camp Nou in search of regular game time elsewhere, and he explained in the second of a two-part interview with Marca how the captain acted as a mediator in his wishes being met.

“Perhaps the most important thing for me was that I had Andres to confide in when there seemed no way out,” he said.

“I explained my situation to him. At first, it was difficult and I had to wait.

“He supported me and tried to convey to the club that if I was not happy then they should do everything to facilitate my departure.

“He acted like the great captain and friend he is. I spoke to him the most as he understood my situation the best.

“I also explained my situation to colleagues with whom I had most confidence in; Andres, Jordi Alba and [Sergio] Busquets.

“They understood my position. [Xavi Hernandez] also called to congratulate me when everything was completed.”

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thursday September 3 2015

'Villarreal better than last season'

marcelino-point-scarf490epa_3_1.jpg

By Football Espana staff

Marcelino believes Villarreal are a better team now than they were last season after praising the club's hierarchy for their recruitment over the summer.

The Yellow Submarine lost top goalscorer Luciano Vietto and fans favourite Denis Cheryshev to both Madrid giants but have received instant returns from replacements Cedric Bakambu and Roberto Soldado – currently La Liga's leading marksman.

“We now have a better squad than last season,” the Coach said at a Press conference.

“We're really happy [with our business]. We believe we've brought in some very good players and recruited very well.

“I now have seven more top players, ones who want to play like the team did last season, adopting a team game and fighting for one another. At least the Samus [Samu Castillejo and Samu Garcia] already know each other!

“[On Adrian Lopez and Daniele Bonera], we needed a quick player in attack and a centre-back who would give us experience. We've done everything we wanted.

“Adrian coming here depended on many things, but it was a transfer which was pretty controlled, not one splashed across the newspapers. He was always closer to Villarreal than [Real] Betis.

“Initially, we will have to put [Bonera] on an individualised training programme so he can regain a good level of fitness.

“At the moment, he's at a disadvantage with the rest, so this [international] break comes in handy.

“More than a older head, we wanted an experienced player, and he's had a really good career. He's a similar player to Chechu [Dorado].

“[Denis] Cheryshev was an important player for us because he gave us things in the game that helped us a lot. Now, we don't have a player with his qualities in the team.

“We've reinforced very well, but so have the teams who finished above us [last season].

“We'll try to get as close as possible to fifth [in La Liga]. We'll never give up.”

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid pledge €1 million for Syria refugees

syrian-refugees-on-a-train-track_1trjfd84wy5a11li8lc0107khk.jpg

By Jon Fisher
Sep 5, 2015 12:12:00

The Blancos have followed in the footsteps of Bayern Munich by pledging a seven-figure sum to those migrating into Europe

Real Madrid have announced they are to make a €1 million donation to aid the refugees fleeing war-torn Syria.

Hundreds of thousands of people have risked their lives to migrate to other countries in Europe - at least 2,500 have died in the process - with pressure now being ramped up on governments to provide greater relief to those in need.

Bayern Munich announced on Thursday they have donated €1m to help people pouring into Germany, and Madrid have now pledged the same amount to aid refugees in Spain.

A club statement read: "Real Madrid has announced that it will donate €1million to aid refugees that are taken in by Spain.

"Faithful to its commitment to charity, the club has taken this decision with the aim of supporting men, women and children who have been forced to leave their homes in order to flee from war and death.

"The president of Real Madrid, Florentino Perez, spoke yesterday by phone with the president of the [Spanish] government, Mariano Rajoy. The pair talked about this contribution and other measures that the club will put in place in order to collaborate with the care of refugees that arrive in Spain.

"Among these measures, the club is considering various initiatives and schemes with a special focus placed on the youngest refugees. It will also make some of the club's infrastructure and sports goods available to the Executive's interministerial commission that organises the system for receiving refugees."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perez: United showed inexperience in De Gea saga

4 September 2015

904723header.jpg

Real Madrid supremo Florentino Perez believes the manner in which David de Gea's move to the Bernabeu fell through showed why Manchester United may have missed out on some of their targets during the transfer window.

De Gea was expected to complete a move to Real on Monday, but the paperwork was not completed in time and so the Spain goalkeeper remains at Old Trafford.

Real president Perez was baffled by United's failure to conclude the deal, which would have seen Keylor Navas move in the opposite direction, and is not surprised the likes of Pedro reportedly turned them down.

He told Cadena SER: "At 1330 Manchester United had all the papers but they took eight hours to return them.

"It's very unfortunate and I don't want to blame anyone but we don't understand why it took them so long to send them, or why they only decided to negotiate when there was 12 hours to go.

"I don't think they had bad intentions, I just think they lack experience as the same thing happened with [Fabio] Coentrao and with [Ander] Herrera [attempted United signings which failed two years ago].

"When this happens more than once and you see that all the operations that, according to the media, they have tried to do during the summer one believes that this happened because it is a new team with no experience."

Perez also stated that it is too early to say if a deal to bring De Gea back to the Spanish capital can be resurrected.

He added: "More than a year ago we decided that the future replacement for [Iker] Casillas was De Gea. Then Keylor Navas signed and we were very happy with him but we had already made a commitment with De Gea,

"I don't know what will happen now, we can't say what will happen because such little time has passed. I haven't spoken to him but [Real chief executive] Jose Angel Sanchez has. He is very upset because he was really excited about joining Madrid."

Emery

Alfrescian
Loyal

Krychowiak stayed at Sevilla because of Emery

4 September 2015

904686header.jpg

Sevilla midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak revealed he would have left the UEFA Europa League champions had coach Unai Emery departed.

Emery had been linked with managerial vacancies at Napoli and West Ham but penned a one-year contract extension through to 2017, after steering Sevilla to back-to-back Europa League titles.

Krychowiak also had interest from abroad, with Premier League giants Arsenal touted as a possible destination, and the Poland international said he chose to stay in La Liga because of Emery.

"Unai's decision to stay was crucial for me. I wanted to form part of his project and only his, nobody else's," the 25-year-old was quoted as telling Przeglad Sportowy.

"If he had left to go to another club it's probable I would have seriously considered doing the same. Emery is part of my success. He believes in me. We are twin souls, we are a perfect fit, our philosophies are very similar.

"I have only been at Sevilla for a year but I owe a lot to the manager."

Krychowiak was brought to the club from Reims last season and has quickly established himself as a key member of Sevilla's squad.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Friday September 4 2015

‘Atleti betting on young players’

correa-badge490epa_0.jpg

By Football Espana staff

Angel Correa is targeting trophies with Atletico Madrid and wants the young players the club are betting on to rise to the challenge.

Correa was speaking in a video along with new teammates Luciano Vietto and Yannick Ferreira Carrasco, the trio signed by Los Rojiblancos over the summer, and Correa pointed to the Neptuno Fountain, where Atleti traditionally celebrate their triumphs.

“Hopefully we go there this season, as soon as possible,” Correa said, Marca reports.

“Atletico are betting on young players. There’s a coaching staff that helps us grow and we want to continue.

“The three of us are the fastest at the club. We offer that option,” Vietto added, confirming he ‘knows what Neptuno means.’

“Before I came here I spoke to Thibaut Courtois,” Carrasco continued, citing his Belgium teammate who spent three years at Vicente Calderon.

“He told me I could learn a lot here.”

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Saturday September 5 2015

'Barca should have signed Kovacic'

halilovic-sporting-presentation490epa.jpg

By Football Espana staff

Alen Halilovic has expressed his disappointment with Barcelona's failure to sign Mateo Kovacic this summer.

The Croatian midfielder had long been linked with La Blaugrana, despite their transfer ban, but eventually joined arch-rivals Real Madrid, leaving a sour taste in his countryman's mouth.

“I don't know why Barca didn't sign Kovacic,” the Sporting Gijon loanee told Cadena SER.

“He's very, very good and a very important player for the future.

“I'm very happy here. Sporting are a big club, with good players and a good Coach.

“The first day I saw [Lionel Messi], it was a shock. My legs started trembling.”

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Simeone is a major threat to Barcelona and Real Madrid

diegosimeonecarloancelotti-cropped_xwdyai3t1b3z1bvy8n4hj58q2.jpg

By Chris Myson
Sep 8, 2015 20:32:31

The former Madrid boss believes the Argentine is capable of guiding his side to a second La Liga title in three years this season

Carlo Ancelotti has warned former club Real Madrid and Barcelona to expect a strong challenge from Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid in 2015-16.

Ancelotti was sacked at the end of last season and replaced by Rafa Benitez after the club failed to defend their Champions League and Copa del Rey crowns and finished second in La Liga.

Madrid suffered an infamous 4-0 derby defeat to Atletico under the Italian last season and he believes Simeone and his side will pose a real threat in Spain's top flight this term.

"It will be the same as the past three seasons," he said. "This year Atletico Madrid will be very strong, they are going to be a big threat to Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"Simeone is a manager who knows how to get the best out of his players, so matching up to them on the pitch will be very difficult."

Ancelotti also wished Benitez well for his debut campaign in charge of Madrid and again paid tribute to his former players.

"I know first hand what it is like to train Real Madrid," he continued.

"I wish Rafa Benitez the best, I have a lot of respect for his work. I can only say that he has a great squad under his charge and that is because I was fortunate enough to coach them for the last two seasons."

Atletico and Barcelona have secured maximum points from their first two La Liga matches this season, while Madrid are two points adrift with four.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bravo injury blow for Barcelona

claudiobravo-cropped_izblrvi2fr8w1vo34hcmb1mek.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Sep 8, 2015 11:27:22

The Catalan club may be without the Chile international goalkeeper when they face Diego Simeone's side this weekend, having picked up a muscle injury in his calf

Barcelona have confirmed that Claudio Bravo could miss this weekend's clash with Atletico Madrid after suffering a muscle injury.

The Chile international sustained the problem in his right calf and may now be absent from this weekend's game against Diego Simeone's side.

"Claudio Bravo has been sidelined with a muscle injury in the calf of his right leg," a statement on the club's official website read.

"Tests have shown that the Chilean goalkeeper has sustained a lesion. The evolution of the injury will mark his availability for the next few days."

The 32-year-old, who joined Barca from Real Sociedad in 2014, has developed into a key figure at the club following his transfer, and was Enrique's first-choice in La Liga in 2014-15.

Bravo subsequently kept 23 clean sheets in 37 league appearances, with Marc-Andre Ter Stegen picked to start in the club's Champions League fixtures.

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale has almost matched Ronaldo´s Madrid achievements - agent

8 September 2015 16:43

907217header.jpg

Gareth Bale has almost matched Cristiano Ronaldo's achievements at Real Madrid and is now targeting the Ballon d'Or, according to his agent Jonathan Barnett.

Bale moved to the Santiago Bernabeu in September 2013 and enjoyed a fine first season, scoring in the final of the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League as Madrid claimed a double under Carlo Ancelotti.

Ronaldo played alongside Bale in both those games to add to a trophy haul that also includes La Liga in 2012 and another Copa del Rey in 2011.

His critics claim that is a poor return for six years in Madrid and Barnett was quick to suggest Bale has made a near-equal impact in a shorter space of time.

Speaking at Soccerex, he said: "He's not there to compete with Ronaldo but in terms of what he's achieved for the club, they are almost level already. Ronaldo's been there for many years, Gareth only for two and a half. What is important for Gareth is that the club achieve and if the club achieve then Gareth will get what he wants which is the Ballon d'Or."

Ronaldo is the current holder of the award handed out to the best player in world football and Barnett admits his client wants to put himself in contention over the next few seasons.

He added: "I am biased but I think in the next two or three years he will be seen as the best player in the world. He wants to win the Ballon d'Or and I think he has a good chance."

Bale's future has been the subject of much speculation following a disappointing second season in Spain, but Barnett reiterated that the former Tottenham winger has no intention of seeking a return to the Premier League.

"Gareth has never said he wants to leave Real Madrid and Madrid have always said how happy they are with him," he said.

"Why would he want to leave Real Madrid if everyone's happy?

"One can never know for sure but he's contracted to Real Madrid for a few more years and hopefully he'll stay for the rest of this career. It's the biggest club in the world, why would he want to leave?"

RealMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Varane: Mourinho kicked me up my backside

9 September 2015

907676header.jpg

Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane has voiced his admiration for Jose Mourinho and suggested he would not be the same player if it were not for the current Chelsea manager.

The France international,22, joined Real from Lens in 2011 and initially struggled to secure regular first-team football at the Santiago Bernabeu.

However, a training-ground discussion with Mourinho made him realise that he could not afford to take it easy and that he had to give his all if he was to succeed in the Spanish capital.

"During my second season at Real Madrid, Jose Mourinho gave me a kick up my arse," Varane told Le Journal du Dimanche.

"I was not doing well and I was unable to do the things I wanted to do on the pitch. So he took it up with me. He asked why I wasn't running more in training. At first I was not impressed, but I eventually realised he was right. I had to do more.

"Mourinho always hits the right spot. He does not need long speeches. He is precise and very direct. He was doing it for my own benefit.

"I need to question myself to reach my best form. Without this pressure, I tend to rest on my laurels and don't push myself."

Varane has started both of Real Madrid's Liga encounters so far this term, featuring alongside Sergio Ramos at centre-back.

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sevilla dealt Rami blow

9 September 2015

907885header.jpg

Sevilla have been dealt a blow after it was revealed that Adil Rami could miss up to six weeks of action with an adductor injury.

The France defender, who moved to Sevilla in the close-season, suffered the setback during training on Tuesday.

Sevilla confirmed his absence via a statement on their official website, with Rami's absence coming ahead of a busy period for Unai Emery's side.

As well as La Liga games against Levante, Celta Vigo, Las Palmas and Rayo Vallecano, Sevilla also have UEFA Champions League matches against Borussia Monchengladbach and Juventus this month.

Postiga

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger was interested in Real job - Calderon

9 September 2015

908165header.jpg

Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon claimed he was close to luring Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to the Santiago Bernabeu during his three-year spell in the Spanish capital.

Wenger has enjoyed 19 glorious years at Arsenal, where he has remained loyal despite ongoing interest from Real, namely under Calderon's tenure.

Calderon was elected president in 2006 before resigning three years later and in that time the 64-year-old revealed Wenger was considering swapping London for Madrid.

In an extract from a the new book titled, Arsene Wenger: The Inside Story of Arsenal Under Wenger, Calderon said: "I imagine that anyone - be it a coach or a player - at some time in their career is interested in coming to a club like Real Madrid, especially when you have been at a club for 15 years, or however long, in England.

"Anyone working in any other industry would be interested in change. I think it's a good idea to have a coach who has a long-term plan.

"He was talking to me about Real Madrid and, at that time, he was very interested in the club and what was happening. I remember he said: 'Are you going to Hollywood again, or to make a football team?' He meant are you going for film star Galacticos or to make a proper football team.

"It's something you have in England that is a very good thing. You have it at Arsenal, you had at Manchester United, that the manager could stay at the club for a very long time. It's impossible here.

"Things didn't work out and he has clearly loved his time at Arsenal."

DavidVilla

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real did everything to get De Gea - Perez

10 September 2015

908292header.jpg

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says Real Madrid did all they could to sign David De Gea from Manchester United but refused to be drawn into speculation over the goalkeeper's future.

A proposed transfer for the Spain international to the Santiago Bernabeu fell through late in the Spanish transfer window, leading the clubs to be drawn into a public disagreement over who was in the wrong.

De Gea had been dropped by United boss Louis van Gaal due to his frame of mind while speculation continued, and sees his United future remain somewhat uncertain with his contract due to expire at the end of the season.

Perez appeared on Spanish radio on Wednesday, producing a document he claimed shows United were late in filing their paperwork.

"Madrid did what we had to do, we did everything we could to get him to come," he told Cadena COPE.

"De Gea made no effort to renew and so we had to make an effort so that he did not feel abandoned.

"De Gea has to do what's best for his sporting life. Now we don't contemplate what will happen next season, we have three great goalkeepers.

"We do not know what will happen in a year. It is very difficult to have a blank year."

Real captain Sergio Ramos was a long-time reported target for United prior to signing his new deal at the Bernabeu, with some having suggested Ramos used the media and United's interest to leverage the contract.

"Sergio did not use the press to get us more money," Perez added.

"He never wanted to leave Madrid and we knew he'd never leave.

"We did not receive any offers for him. It took five minutes to fix everything."

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo will cost PSG €1 billion - Perez

10 September 2015

908290header.jpg

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told Paris Saint-Germain that Cristiano Ronaldo would cost them €1 billion, but admitted he cannot guarantee the player will stay in Madrid.

Ronaldo, 30, has been linked with a move to the French champions, but he still has three years to run on his contract at the Santiago Bernabeu, and his buy-out clause is likely to be enough to keep him out of reach for even the world’s richest clubs.

“He has a contract and we want him to stay, but nothing in life is certain,” said Perez.

“Today, Real Madrid without Cristiano Ronaldo, it is impossible. He is the best player in the world and the most emblematic.

“If PSG want him, it is very easy. If they pay the €1000m buy-out clause, they will have him."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid full-back Danilo sidelined by foot injury

10 September 2015

908342header.jpg

Real Madrid full-back Danilo is set to miss a month of action after suffering a foot injury on international duty with Brazil.

The former Porto defender, whose €32 million switch to the Santiago Bernabeu was announced in March, has started both of Madrid's opening two La Liga matches but will now miss up to five league games, potentially including the derby with Atletico, as well as UEFA Champions League fixtures against Shakhtar Donetsk and Malmo.

A club statement read: "Following the tests carried out on Danilo today in the Sanitas La Moraleja University Hospital, the player has been diagnosed with a plantar fasciitis tear in his right foot. His condition will be evaluated."

The usual absence for an injury of this nature is four weeks.