• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2015 NDP Rehearsal - Terrex breaks down

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really a JV because ST Kinetics owns 51% share of Timoney. The incompetent shits at ST Eng could not come up with a wheeled AFV designed and decided to use their subsidiary, Timoney of Ireland, to develop the Terrex for them. Timoney came up with the design and contracted to manufacture the suspension. ST Eng. build the rest. But in fact, ST Eng were too incompetent to develop a wheeled version of the Bionix. They should have simply gone to a 4 wheel or 6 wheeled version of the Bionix and not have to totally develop another family of vehicles. It makes no sense and is wasteful. For example the AMX-10P that the SAF had also comes in a wheeled version the AMX-10RC. Now, they are trying to market the Terrex to the Marines, that is not going to go, as I understand.

Thanks, you are great knowing details.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
these NSMen sitting in mobile columns for NDP must be quite shiok. Get time off from any siong exercises for many months whilst practicing for NDP. Not like the marching contingents, which is quite siong as well, have to march an stand for many km and hours. The mobile columns, just sit and relax whilst ogling chio bu. Not a bad way to practice for NDP!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
these NSMen sitting in mobile columns for NDP must be quite shiok. Get time off from any siong exercises for many months whilst practicing for NDP. Not like the marching contingents, which is quite siong as well, have to march an stand for many km and hours. The mobile columns, just sit and relax whilst ogling chio bu. Not a bad way to practice for NDP!

Not really, its tough for the mobile columns too. Its all behind the scene, you just don't see it. Each vehicle has been hand picked and totally cleaned up with new paint, and all worn out parts that are visible have been replaced. After every rehearsal, hours are spend back at camp going over the vehicle and everything to make sure its in tip top shape. If the engine even has a higher then normal idle, it will be diagnosed and fixed. The commanders and drivers also have to be trained to drive in a line abreast with the appropriate distance between the side and front vehicle. That takes hours of practice. Usually only the best crews and commanders are selected. In prior NDP, for the armour mobile columns, only instructors from SOA were used and very experienced NCOs. Every single track had its rubber replaced with new ones. Its hours of maintenance work that you don't see.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The French VBCI is better than the shit ST Terrrex

I don't think its that much better, in fact, you don't have to go that far to look for a better vehicle. Timoney makes a 8 X 8 wheeled IFV called the CM-32 Clouded Leopard with the Taiwanese. This is a far more versatile vehicle. Its about the same size and weight as the Terrex, but it can mount a 105mm tank gun as well as as a 120mm mortar. the ROC army has already ordered 600 vehicles. Way more than the Terrex the SAF has bought.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think its that much better, in fact, you don't have to go that far to look for a better vehicle. Timoney makes a 8 X 8 wheeled IFV called the CM-32 Clouded Leopard with the Taiwanese. This is a far more versatile vehicle. Its about the same size and weight as the Terrex, but it can mount a 105mm tank gun as well as as a 120mm mortar. the ROC army has already ordered 600 vehicles. Way more than the Terrex the SAF has bought.

Why do you want a 105mm or 120mm gun on a vehicle for infantry carrying? Even the US is dismissing the 105mm version on its Stryker.

Has this Taiwanese vehicle seen combat?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Why do you want a 105mm or 120mm gun on a vehicle for infantry carrying? Even the US is dismissing the 105mm version on its Stryker.

Has this Taiwanese vehicle seen combat?

The 105mm version does not carry troops, u idiot. Its a fire support vehicle, with anti tank capability. Its role is to follow the mobile infantry and give fire support to the troops. Like the AMX 10 PAC 90 that the SAF used to operate.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I serious hope the vehicles in the mobile column are fresh out of saf depot reserve for ndp only. if the vehicles are the participating units own bread and butter vehicles, then I pity the crew. being in ndp is not an excuse for not going outfield training. then saf green paint very easy become dirty, even travelling on low loader by peck tiong choon can kenna dust and sand. that would mean endless washing and polishing.

in case you dunno, M113 and bionix drivers cannot see what is to the right side of his vehicle and has to count heavily on his vehicle commander instructions to maintain formation. most drivers never drive with another vehicle abreast to himself, at least not as close as in the ndp.

I kenna ndp duty during nsf, it no fun. burnt weekends, off days cannot cover the days burnt. 3-4hrs old kfc as meal, drink must buy myself, wear no.4 on bloody hot day just to see charbors? no thanks, I rather go home every weekend to sleep on my bed.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 105mm version does not carry troops, u idiot. Its a fire support vehicle, with anti tank capability. Its role is to follow the mobile infantry and give fire support to the troops. Like the AMX 10 PAC 90 that the SAF used to operate.

amx10 was a mistake, I think only 1-2 batch of 42 trained in them. suppose to be good in water crossing, right?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I serious hope the vehicles in the mobile column are fresh out of saf depot reserve for ndp only. if the vehicles are the participating units own bread and butter vehicles, then I pity the crew. being in ndp is not an excuse for not going outfield training. then saf green paint very easy become dirty, even travelling on low loader by peck tiong choon can kenna dust and sand. that would mean endless washing and polishing.

in case you dunno, M113 and bionix drivers cannot see what is to the right side of his vehicle and has to count heavily on his vehicle commander instructions to maintain formation. most drivers never drive with another vehicle abreast to himself, at least not as close as in the ndp.

I kenna ndp duty during nsf, it no fun. burnt weekends, off days cannot cover the days burnt. 3-4hrs old kfc as meal, drink must buy myself, wear no.4 on bloody hot day just to see charbors? no thanks, I rather go home every weekend to sleep on my bed.

I never did NDP duty during NSF, phew! :biggrin:

But they'll psycho the NSFs with things such as 'once in a lifetime chance', 'it's a privilege' or 'you'll get plenty of off-in-lieu for your efforts'. :wink:

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really a JV because ST Kinetics owns 51% share of Timoney. The incompetent shits at ST Eng could not come up with a wheeled AFV designed and decided to use their subsidiary, Timoney of Ireland, to develop the Terrex for them. Timoney came up with the design and contracted to manufacture the suspension. ST Eng. build the rest. But in fact, ST Eng were too incompetent to develop a wheeled version of the Bionix. They should have simply gone to a 4 wheel or 6 wheeled version of the Bionix and not have to totally develop another family of vehicles. It makes no sense and is wasteful. For example the AMX-10P that the SAF had also comes in a wheeled version the AMX-10RC. Now, they are trying to market the Terrex to the Marines, that is not going to go, as I understand.

So that is the whole story........... after Dr Richard Kwok got multiple promotion for armouring Bionix (actual done by IBD ie Diesenroth...). Does that mean to win you must wheel n deal??????????????????????