• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysian Alvin Tan on Malaysian NameWee

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
An Alvin Tan video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YUGp04zuc
[video=youtube;H5YUGp04zuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YUGp04zuc[/video]

A NameWee video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiBvJtJ5Z4
[video=youtube;gyiBvJtJ5Z4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiBvJtJ5Z4[/video]

Alvin on NameWee :
https://www.facebook.com/tanjyeyee/posts/10152462131415886

Today I'll talk about Namewee 黃明志. He's achieved great financial success with his first movie (second and third movies, less so). I don't consider him a great filmmaker, but he's definitely a great musician, songwriter, and comedian (a very underrated talent of his). Some of his Tokok rants are GOLDEN. It's safe to say that he's one in a million. I salute the guy.

Unfortunately, his career is and will continue to be destroyed by one simple fact: he chose to stay in Malaysia and grow from here. Big mistake. Since his Negarakuku episode, the Malaysian government has targeted him; he's a marked man forever. He's banned from national television and radio, cutting him off from basically the most mainstream, lucrative media channels. His songs will never air on radio, no matter how good they are, because MCMC has been instructed to block anything Namewee-related. Even his latest movie, Banglasia, was blocked from being screened in Malaysia... after he invested RM1 million. It's all gone now, by the way. Imagine collecting RM1 million cash and then burning them note by note; it's the same thing as making a movie that never gets to screen. All just because some asshole at FINAS thinks that it's "inappropriate."

Facebook and YouTube are his only distribution channels, and, even then, the government can still arrest him if they don't like what he published, so he has to be SUPER-CAREFUL not to offend people in power... unlike me, who can say anytime, freely and fearlessly, things like:

-HEY ROSMAH, YOU FUCKING FAT SHIT!!! WHY ARE YOU SO FAT!?
-ZAHID, YOU'RE AN UGLY MOTHER FUCKER. REAL HIDEOUS.
-AND IGP... YOU ARE AN UNIMAGINABLE PIECE OF SHIT!!!

Well, back to Namewee.

One commenter on one of his recent videos said that Namewee has now become irrelevant and fearfully apolitical (rephrased, but that was the idea). He's absolutely right. Namewee has practiced self-censorship since the Banglasia fiasco in (fat) hopes of getting into the government's good books. I can only shake my head mournfully at his stubbornness of trying to reason with evil jerks like UMNO. It won't ever work.

His only choice now is to leave Malaysia, start up overseas and serve an international (or at least regional) audience, otherwise he'll simply remain small as the "local YouTube guy," and how many so-called YouTube celebrities are mainstream and making millions? That's right, zero. YouTube is niche. There simply isn't a big-enough audience from whom to make millions. In the entertainment industry, TV/film and radio/concerts are still king. Even starring/directing a Netflix-only show like "Orange is the New Black" is way more mainstream than a YouTube channel. That's why I don't do YouTube anymore; it's a waste of time. It was fun while it lasted, but it's simply too NICHE. Too small. Too uninteresting to bother with.

Getting jailed for saying things in July 2013 led to an epiphany: don't waste your time and effort trying to do anything cool or creative while you're still in Malaysia. They will just fuck with you like how they fuck with Namewee. So the way I lived my life since July 2013 was to not start anything -- career or otherwise -- or even buy property, make too many friends, or have too many attachments in Malaysia. I simply waited for the right time to leave, and then only start doing whatever the fuck I wanted to do.

Namewee, conversely, chose stubbornly to stay back in Malaysia. No wonder his career isn't going anywhere. His best options are China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or even fucking Thailand. I'm not sure that his antics are attuned to a Western audience's taste, and his poor command of English definitely doesn't help. If he can get his visas sorted out, move overseas, and start releasing his creative works there, his career would SOAR. But I don't know his situation, and I know that, if he had a way to go overseas, he would in a heartbeat. It's an inability thing, not a choice thing, but I simply don't know his story. Re: his insistence that he "loves" Malaysia... I simply don't buy it.

P.S. By the way, the guy still has my respects. I'm definitely not in his league, despite how some people try to draw comparisons between the both of us, but I sure recognize that staying in Malaysia and trying to be an entertainer is hopeless. How many celebrities from Malaysia made it "big" in Malaysia? That's right, zero, and that's not only because of our small domestic market.

Leave first, then only try to succeed. Trying so while still trapped in the festering cesspool of shit called Malaysia is like pouring water down duck feathers. Not very smart.

Alvin on NameWee :
https://www.facebook.com/alvintan.yolo/posts/610769429059798

Namewee is an accomplished musician, I can barely cover my cost even if I busked by the streets on Hollywood. He "loves" and thus lives in Malaysia, I live in the US. He makes bad movies, I barely starred in any yet. He speaks Mandarin, I speak English. He's probably a virgin, or barely not one, I'm quite far from being one.