• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mr.Sim Wong Hoo..Pls Write Book On What Exactly Happened to Creative

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Creative was way ahead on Apple n Samsung.

YOURS IS THE ONLY truely Singaporean brand to come out of 50 years of nannying, that is recognised worldwide.

Forget Tiger beer, forget com9anies that are not built by true blooded entreprenaurs.

I remembered Creative went downhill from the year you wrote your booklet called NUTS......no u turn sydrome.

You knew then what many know now that curtaling free speech and knowledge by banning books, news etc....us bad for EQ and success.

I remembered just 3, 5 years ago you mentioned Singapore is the only country that helps foreign companies launch their products here, but not local companies like yours. Subsequently, Creative launched in China.

Please write a book to bring back the talented brain dead which Singapore have plenty of.....except they are all brain dead after 50 years of such rule.

Creative remains the only company that easily cones to mind when one speaks of Singapore overseas.

Tell us all the true story. It is time.......

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have u heard of the term one hit wonder?I'm anti pap but sim Wong how is just another sorry example of a loser sinkie.got lucky once and afterwards faded into oblivion.a spark like a lightning strike before being engulfed by darkness.

Creative only came to fame because of one thing the sound card.

Calling Sim Wong how a true blooded entrepreneur is a insult to other entrepreneurs and great businessman.

Never before in history has anyone witness a man with a billion dollar net worth dribble away into nothing over the next 20 years.to blow a billion dollars in a sinking business is mind blowing.
The level of incompetence surpass even that of SMRT.

Creative could have been a giant today like Microsoft or Sony or other Korean companies but today it does not stand a chance even against regular mall retailers like Harvey Norman or challenger.
I suspect pap rejected him because they knew he was a terrible businessman.

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
creatif n ah hoo r exaggerated ...

dey oni happened 2 b ze prime mover in sound cards den ... over time, their level of talen shows ...

cumming out wif a sound card 4 pc's den is not sum revolutionary idea either ... apple oredi has, iz oni a logical xtenion 2 provide 1 4 windows ...

Last edited:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.queststudios.com/quest/midi.html

here . read it. it's not that hard to google up.

... Creative Labs, having a stranglehold on the market, was slow to move beyond its FM synthesis. With very little competition in its price range, Creative Labs had very little incentive to move beyond FM. (This is why so many people are familiar with FM synthesis...a 1970's technology). However, with the General MIDI specification available to any manufacturer, many companies jumped into market (not necessarily music companies).

The result was a breed of music devices that would give General MIDI a bad reputation. Many of these devices were very poor in sound quality. I should know. I was a victim in this market.

Creative Labs, to compete in this new market invented several devices. The first was the Wave Blaster. Creative Labs designed some of their SB16's to have a special port so you could attach a piggyback board designed to do General MIDI. They would then sell the Wave Blaster as a $200 option to your sound card, bringing you "Wavetable synthesis" and "MT-32 compatibility".

Dazzled by the two claims, I foolishly bought one of these units. I am no stranger to the MT-32 as one of my friends had one for many years. I always loved the sound quality, but never could afford it. Now here was a device at less than half the price which claimed to be of MT-32 quality. I bought the device and will forever regret that day.

When I put it in, I could tell it was far better than FM, but it still sounded pretty bad. I worked with the card for days, trying to make sure there weren't any options I needed to turn on. Desperate, I eventually called Creative Technical Support asking why it sounded so bad. They tried to convince me that they personally liked it better than the MT-32. I then realized I had been ripped-off.

How bad did it sound? Well, I usually describe it to people as this: "Imagine a rock hitting a metal plate. That is their idea of a piano. Except...you would expect the metal to vibrate with an echoing sound. The Wave Blaster had no reverb or chorus capabilities whatsoever. So remove the echo from the image. Thus you have an incredibly bad, artificial sound."

Wave Blaster was so bad, they pulled it from the market several months later and introduced Wave Blaster 2. This was an improvement, but still a far cry from the ancient MT-32.

I soon discovered a new sound card coming out. The Roland Sound Canvas Daughterboard. Roland took their normal SC and adapted it to fit in the WaveBlaster slot. I quickly sold my Wave Blaster off to one of my roommates that had probably gone deaf from playing his stereo too loud, and bought this miraculous device. This was 180 degrees from my Wave Blaster. Roland was quick to admit that though the SC actually has MT-32 sounds built into the device, it cannot understand MT-32 sysex, and thus cannot faithfully reproduce MT-32 music. However, it's GM/GS is wonderful.

Meanwhile, to further advance their sound card control, Creative Labs introduced the Sound Blaster 32 and the AWE32. The Sound Blaster 32 was essentially, a SB16+Waveblaster2. This was fully GM compliant, but it didn't sound that good. Creative Labs was more interested in pushing their own proprietary, AWE32. This one is not fully GM compliant. It was cheaper for them to produce, and it accepted, it would allow them to control the next generation of Sound Card standards (as they did with Sound Blaster).

The AWE32 sacrificed some of the required onboard ROM for GM instruments and used RAM so you could load software instruments, very much like the Gravis Ultrasound. However, since this was their own technology, they did not adhere to any standards. Thus you had to find products that supported the AWE32 directly. This was a problem at first, since the world was still DOS based. Games like Doom had problems for awhile supporting the AWE32. Eventually Creative Labs resolved most of their compatibility problems, especially with the introduction of Windows 95. And the AWE32 sold on brand name and technology-specs, without most people even hearing how it sounds.

Furthermore, because some of the technology was a copy of the GUS, many of the features were never utilized for the same reasons. (Tom was recently asked if he could record and download the MT-32 samples into the AWE32 Soundfonts banks, but Tom replied there are just to many MT-32 sounds to be feasible.)

Also, most game manufacturers composed General MIDI on a Roland Sound Canvas. One of the "flaws" of the GM specification was the lack of requirements of how an instrument should sound. The companies argued this was to allow artistic freedom, but it produced cards like Wave Blaster. The particular flaw in this case, however, was the balancing. Certain instruments might sound louder on a AWE32 than a Sound Canvas, making the song sound really bad. Creative Labs did not give much consideration to the Sound Canvas standards and produced a card that had many incorrect balances.
The Death of MIDI

CD-ROM was finally being equipped in every computer. A new fad was born: Red Book Audio (or CD music). People started demanding CD music with games because their MIDI sounded so bad either through FM synthesis, or bad wavetable. The other problem was many midi compositions were not necessarily that good because it requires some work to become a good MIDI musician.

In the early stages, some companies simply composed GM songs on the Sound Canvas and then recorded those songs onto CD for those without Sound Canvases. Warcraft 2 and Hexen are two examples.

But ultimately, MIDI was dropped for CD music completely. This was a disappointment to a minority of gamers that loved the concept of "Dynamic Music". Dynamic music is music played while you are playing a game, but the parts of the music change as you do different things. Perhaps the best implementation of this was in LucasArts' TIE Fighter. Basically, just by the music you could tell what was going on during the whole battle. There was no need for annoying, pointless radio chatter (which should only be used for useful information) because the music could tell you if a wingman died, if you were being shot at, if you scored a kill, if an enemy ship was jumping in, if a friendly ship was jumping in, etc.

But this art died with the push for CD music.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://sg.creative.com/estore/

Looking at his product range, he is not able to excel in his business for the past 20 years.
His focus is still on sound card and his audio speakers and headsets can't innovate much compared to all those branded AV products.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are people being so hard on Sim:confused:

He was no Steve Jobs but who is:confused: He still did well for an ex-poly student. He made millions where he could have made billions but I doubt he is as greedy as LKY & Co.

I seldom hear or read negative things about Sim e.g. no Ferraris, no Lambo, no problems with the families. He is just a normal "lesser mortal" :smile:

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually Sim was initially able to hire a team of intelligent people (many who later moved on to join international MNCs) after his initial success.

However the corporate culture he has stinks, with the usual top-down China-men management style, lousy treatment of suppliers, nepotism, etc. I have known a supply chain person who joined years ago (he was from another global US electronics firm) left after a short stay. He said most of the senior staff are just yes-men, afraid of challenging the status quo of how things are done. It is quite funny to see a company sitting on huge pile of cash, wasting away and never realised what is the main issue. This is the typical Asian management style, always in denial and still basking in past glories (same with PAP government).

Have u heard of the term one hit wonder?I'm anti pap but sim Wong how is just another sorry example of a loser sinkie.got lucky once and afterwards faded into oblivion.a spark like a lightning strike before being engulfed by darkness.

Creative only came to fame because of one thing the sound card.

Calling Sim Wong how a true blooded entrepreneur is a insult to other entrepreneurs and great businessman.

Never before in history has anyone witness a man with a billion dollar net worth dribble away into nothing over the next 20 years.to blow a billion dollars in a sinking business is mind blowing.
The level of incompetence surpass even that of SMRT.

Creative could have been a giant today like Microsoft or Sony or other Korean companies but today it does not stand a chance even against regular mall retailers like Harvey Norman or challenger.
I suspect pap rejected him because they knew he was a terrible businessman.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are people being so hard on Sim:confused:

He was no Steve Jobs but who is:confused: He still did well for an ex-poly student. He made millions where he could have made billions but I doubt he is as greedy as LKY & Co.

I seldom hear or read negative things about Sim e.g. no Ferraris, no Lambo, no problems with the families. He is just a normal "lesser mortal" :smile:

Actually Sim Wong hoo was worth a billion dollars back in 1990.his wealth translated today could be 7 or 8 billion.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sim wong hoo should have just sell off his company in the 1990s.
if he did not, he is a billionaire now.

creative and hotmail are one time wonder.
however hotmail owner ah neh is smarter and sold his hotmail business to MS

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Creative was way ahead on Apple n Samsung.

YOURS IS THE ONLY truely Singaporean brand to come out of 50 years of nannying, that is recognised worldwide.

Forget Tiger beer, forget com9anies that are not built by true blooded entreprenaurs.

I remembered Creative went downhill from the year you wrote your booklet called NUTS......no u turn syndrome.

Creative remains the only company that easily cones to mind when one speaks of Singapore overseas.

Only Singapore company? What about Hyflux?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sim Wong Hoo made a big mistake when he wanted to take on Apple iPods with his Creative Zen mp3 players.

The rest was history.

He also got sidetracked a bit by hooking up with that PRC news presenter floozy (who went back to her newscaster job soon after the relationship ended).

8621137245_4bebb74a5d.jpg

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the myth is that ah boo went teeko chang hai jie - the bitchy news broadcaster of chn U. it was rumoured that he bought her a pte condo after putting his condom. that piece of rubber cost him more than 800k+. CHJ had roughly hinted she met ah boo in a pub when she was retrenched when U closed shop.

if we observed, from there on, it was all downwards for creative. its share is now only trading at about $1.36 from its heyday of US$50+

wonder how many got burnt to a crisp holding onto creaf shares and tot it would hit US$100 ?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sim Wong Hoo made a big mistake when he wanted to take on Apple iPods with his Creative Zen mp3 players.

The rest was history.

creative went to apple to pitch their idea of an ssd music player, and apple copied it for their ipod. the rest is history.