• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

all dialects are dead in singapore!!

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
read a government language survey dated years ago. 55% of Chinese kids below age 10 spoke English at home, 40% spoke Mandarin, and 5% dialects. even Mandarin's usage is declining sharply among the young generation in the last 10/15 years, a result of the PAP government's fucked-up Bilingual policy.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
except for tamil due to Law Minister, CJ n AG being Indian plus fatso Iswaran & virgin ? Indranee

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
feeling quite amused this morning when i watched a 1/2 hour clip on the poor senior folks. it was mercifully generous that they slotted in some hokkien dialects here and there at a chinese docu at 10am.

just WTF the gahmen is trying to do? like doing a 50 shades of grey on the elderlies :(

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
see what i mean? not many will understand what u are trying to say

hence will u be able to use your dialect to communicate with the rest of the world?

you guys should thank the PAP for making english as the common language used in schools and society

You are right. You can proceed to, sik see and also yum liu !!:o

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do thank the PAPzis for:
  • making English the official language of administration and teaching it as a 1st language
  • making Mandarin the language of Chinese instruction.
But this gratitude is nullified by the fact:
  • that they sought to cleanse Singapore of all other Chinese languages
  • and in so doing, robbed Chinese people of an anchor to their culture
  • thus, taking away our confidence in ourselves
  • and stunting our progress towards a Singaporean identity.
Indeed, I detest them for having done this, not least because there was absolutely no need to. They must and will pay.

hence will u be able to use your dialect to communicate with the rest of the world?

you guys should thank the PAP for making english as the common language used in schools and society

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

干你老母。
屌你老母。

see... same meaning, different ways to express out. great diversity.:oIo:

Last edited:

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
[*]that they sought to cleanse Singapore of all other Chinese languages
how? by promoting the speak mandarin campaign and doing class in English?
cant you speak your dialect at home and with relatives?

and in so doing, robbed Chinese people of an anchor to their culture
how? by keeping/maintaining all these places?
have you not visit places like Chinatown Heritage Centre, Chinese Heritage Centre, Fuk Tak Chi Museum,
Jamae Mosque and the list goes on..

thus, taking away our confidence in ourselves
Do you lose your confidence just because of that? really say what material you are made from.

]and stunting our progress towards a Singaporean identity.
tell me how letting more people to speak your chinese dialect can help to achieve that?
it seems what you actually want is an Ah tiong identity more than not a Singapore ID

[*]and in so doing, robbed Chinese people of an anchor to their culture
[*]thus, taking away our confidence in ourselves
[*]and stunting our progress towards a Singaporean identity.
[/LIST]
Indeed, I detest them for having done this. They must and will pay.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
speak mandarin equal Singaporean.
speak dialect equal ah toing.

why PRCs on this island don't speak dialect but mandarin leh?:rolleyes:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I shall assume you are genuine and respond accordingly.

On linguistic cleansing, they did it by:
  • removing non Mandarin Chinese languages from nearly all official media
  • doing the same with entertainment, even in the cinemas
  • pinyinizing all traditional foods so that they are uprooted from the roots of their origins
  • calling non-Mandarin Chinese an infection (LKY, a couple of years back).

You were oddly astute when you mention the various museums; museums are places where we marvel at what has been lost. Much of the non-Mandarin culture in Singapore has been killed off and resides only in museums. I prefer to live and evolve it, rather than view its past form.

I will deal with the last 2 points together. Maybe many are not as 'strong' as you are but comfort in one's language and culture has always been a source of personal as well as communal confidence. See what happened when white people deemed native cultures in America and Australia to be inferior and tried to 'improve' them. Without this confidence, the 'Singapore identity' that is forced on us is hollow and fragile. With it, we offer what is ours and accept what other communities offer us.

how? by promoting the speak mandarin campaign and doing class in English?
cant you speak your dialect at home and with relatives?

and in so doing, robbed Chinese people of an anchor to their culture
how? by keeping/maintaining all these places?
have you not visit places like Chinatown Heritage Centre, Chinese Heritage Centre, Fuk Tak Chi Museum,
Jamae Mosque and the list goes on..

thus, taking away our confidence in ourselves
Do you lose your confidence just because of that? really say what material you are made from.

]and stunting our progress towards a Singaporean identity.
tell me how letting more people to speak your chinese dialect can help to achieve that?
it seems what you actually want is an Ah tiong identity more than not a Singapore ID

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
No worries mate! There are more than 1.3 billion dialects speaking Chinese around the world.

One of them is here..

[video=youtube;SW_2_9yhb70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW_2_9yhb70[/video]

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
what are you on? mandarin or the chinese dialect?
you dont seems to know what you are talking about.
post again when you can debate with some regularity.

I shall assume you are genuine and respond accordingly.

On linguistic cleansing, they did it by:
  • removing non Mandarin Chinese languages from nearly all official media
  • doing the same with entertainment, even in the cinemas
  • pinyinizing all traditional foods so that they are uprooted from the roots of their origins
  • calling non-Mandarin Chinese an infection (LKY, a couple of years back).

You were oddly astute when you mention the various museums; museums are places where we marvel at what has been lost. Much of the non-Mandarin culture in Singapore has been killed off and resides only in museums. I prefer to live and evolve it, rather than view its past form.

I will deal with the last 2 points together. Maybe many are not as 'strong' as you are but comfort in one's language and culture has always been a source of personal as well as communal confidence. See what happened when white people deemed native cultures in America and Australia to be inferior and tried to 'improve' them. Without this confidence, the 'Singapore identity' that is forced on us is hollow and fragile. With it, we offer what is ours and accept what other communities offer us.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dialects are variations of a 'standard' language. By that definition, Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, etc. are NOT dialects of Mandarin. Rather, they are languages that in the distant past had adopted the Chinese script. Over 5000 years, too, they've converged to some extent but are in fact different Chinese languages. I hope this helps you.

what are you on? mandarin or the chinese dialect?
you dont seems to know what you are talking about.
post again when you can debate with some regularity.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
and your point is?
that Singapore should replace mandarin with dialect and all Singaporean should use dialect instead of English/mandarin??

Dialects are variations of a 'standard' language. By that definition, Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, etc. are NOT dialects of Mandarin. Rather, they are languages that in the distant past had adopted the Chinese script. Over 5000 years, too, they've converged to some extent but are in fact different Chinese languages. I hope this helps you.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and your point is?
that Singapore should replace mandarin with dialect and all Singaporean should use dialect instead of English/mandarin??

The point is: The damaging part is banning the public broadcast.