• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How many third world trained foreign doctors are there in Singapore ?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
For sure doctors are well protected in Canada. Too protected if you ask me.

Singaporeans don't realise how transparent SMC is. In fact they go after doctors way more.

Is 250k a lot of money these days? Sure in Canada with the cost of housing and cars much lower it increases buying power so 250k is relatively good. But in absolute terms it isn't. Also it depends how many patients yiu see one by one by one. There are no big deals you close. Every person has different ideas and nuances. Some relatively simple medical prpblems involve very difficult people and personalities.

Anyway my fate was sealed when i got i to residency. For some reason they picked me even though i did not want it.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
All country citizens are welcomed to work in Singapore except Singaporeans. That is what is happening.

Then to put money where our mouth is: have an entire cabinet n prez of F Trashes..... afterall it is not much of a difference except cheap shit salaries which match current performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure why you think this is a bad thing. Many of the foreign PMETs who come to Singapore to work don't feel shortchanged even if it means leaving home. I have family members and friends who are working overseas right now, and most of them are quite happy. They get to see more of the world, earn more, gain professional expertise, which in turn open new doors to other countries. And yes, they use those foreign countries as springboard to other foreign countries. Some eventually came back to singapore, treated on par with skilled expats. No one is asking sinkies to go overseas to be maids or whores or construction workers.

Of course it is a bad thing when there are jobs at home but not given to own people but outsiders. It is not a bad thing to go overseas to work only if there are no jobs at home or when there are jobs at home but people wish to get higher pay for the same job for example get paid 2.6 times by crossing the causeway to work. Going overseas to work to see more of the world is also not a bad thing if it is a matter of choice and not due to no choice.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The numbers you posted on your blood count are all normal.

Normal for A&E docs yo draw blood. But it has been 4 years since i last worked in Singapore A&E. There are two ways to draw blood. One is using a syringe and needle and the other is to have an adapter with a needle and then stick the vacutainer tube in the other end of the adapter.

With syringe and needle sometimes take too little blood or the blood stays in the syringe too long and clots or lysis because draw too quickly. But you can see flash back and know you are in vein so good for diffcult veins. With the other method overall better but in inexperienced hands results in multiple pokes.

Medicine a noble field? Then why are people saying ah neh doctor this and that? Seriously people don't trspect doctors. They just want doctors to give them what they want and expect. The doctor that does they say is a good doctor. The one who doesn't is a crap doctor. People have no idea what is good practice of medicine and what is bad.

Doctors are paid to see patients and not produce results for patients. So the doctor who makes patients happy by giving them what they want but not necessarily good practice of medicine sees patients faster than the one who spends time thinking through the problem to try to get a solution. The former earns more money than the latter.

You can work very hard and help people and do good and nobody gives a damn. No bonus no extra. You make one mistake and everyone is all over you saying you are horrible. Medicine sucks as a means to make money if you ask me. Like prostitute see one client at a time. Too fast they upset. Too slow dont make enough. No tips even!

And patients very often will talk bad about doctors behind their backs and in front of them say wah this doctor good and so on.

Medicine as volunteer charity ok lah. But make money just go make money like in banking finance etc. Nobody will question why banker make money. Doctors nurses teachers all these vocation type stuff must be poor and charitable etc. In this day and age that way of remuneration is passe.

Actually what you said applies to most if not all jobs in general. One can do job well 100 times nobody gives a damn but makes mistake one time and everybody kpkb about it. For example, you can process payroll 100 times on time nobody say thank you but one time the payroll is delayed due to their own people delayed providing the man hours and they will blame the payroll processing people, not blame themselves for the delay. And the salary that office workers get for processing payroll is a mere fraction of what doctors get paid for.

When people do maintenance and operations work well, the staff are always not appreciated as everything runs smoothly and people take for granted and forget the importance of it and can even cut corners (think SMRT). Only when things go downhill then people will start to realise the inconvenience and danger of the lack of good maintenance and operations work. Same for doctors, when people always meet good doctors, they may not appreciate it. But when people meet shitty doctors who do slipshod job then people will appreciate the next good doctor who rectify the mess. And if the problem is a matter of life and death, the gratitude the good doctor get will be multiplied by a million times.

So medicine is really a noble field that help people in their most vulnerable and critical moments. Of course, the doctor must possess good skills and attitude and not be slipshod and haughty. Ah neh doctors can't blame people for saying ah neh doctors this and that becos it is their behaviour and skills that caused people to dislike or distrust them. Perhaps the ah nehs are working in Spore as a stepping stone to greener pasture and therefore do not have the heart and feelings for the people to do the job well.

Seriously I think doctors are well respected by Singaporean patients who are generally very nice and easy to handle. I mean we don't anyhow ask questions but what is necessary especially when there is abnormality like my case. It is our right to clarify and our life at stake. Even in other jobs, proper communication is very important. Office manager is expected to communicate in such a way to get buy in from staff, school teacher the same to get buy in from school kids. If not, they will be labelled a tyrant. So doctors should be no different.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Average income of family physician in Ontario is $250k. If you are not getting that in Alberta, time to move east.

Doctors are well protected in Ontario. The insurance company that provides liability insurance for Ontario doctors will always go to court when a doctor being sued. That's why so few suits succeed. Most plaintiffs can't afford the process. When they complain to the College, the whole process is shrouded in secrecy and often the doctors get away, even with crimes as the College does not pass on the information to law enforcement.
A recent survey found that doctors are most trusted. So, you are highly regarded in Canada.

I heard that doctors are also very well protected in Spore and it is difficult to get another doctor to testify that what one doctor did is something wrong. Patients don't even get access to records easily. For example like my blood test result was not given to me - the hospital said they can't give a copy of the results as per procedure - so I only happened to have this as part of the referral letter attachment to another clinic. If not, I wouldn't even know about the short sample at all.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
3rd world doctors first world charges. Through experience, 3rd world doctors show more empathy than local as local trained to go by the book and kiasi.