• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sunway Iskandar - Intergrated Township @Medini

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
More news on the Sunway International School.

Hi-tech, hi-touch
BY ZULITA MUSTAFA - 28 DECEMBER 2014 @ 8:03 AM
http://www.nst.com.my/node/66562

“WE believe that when you deliver an excellent curriculum, combine it with superior teaching faculty and offer it an outstanding facility, you have Sunway International School (SIS),” said SIS Bandar Sunway principal John Mackle.

The school will welcome its first intake of students in 2017 and offer pre-school, primary and secondary levels of schooling.

“At SIS Sunway Iskandar, the curriculum — from pre-school to Grade 10 — is based on the internationally renowned Canadian (Ontario) Curriculum and focuses on pupils’ individual learning and development as well as builds their character by acknowledging personal strength.

“Those in grades 11 and 12 will pursue the International Baccalaureate education framework for pre-university students,” said Mackle.

The modern and contemporary school campus is designed to deliver an international school curriculum that is both hi-tech, with effective adoption of educational technologies, as well as hi-touch with emphasis on the development of soft skills.

Pre-enrolment for pre-school through to pre-university at SIS Sunway Iskandar will begin next year.

Preschool years, for those aged 3 to 5, focus on emerging skills in language, numeracy and inquiry. The curriculum stimulates each child’s innate curiosity and exploratory nature through play-based learning and prepares them for more formal learning in higher grades.

The curriculum for primary school years (grades 1 to 5) focuses on the development of communication skills, appreciation for the arts and sciences, as well as social and motor skills.

The middle school (grades 6 to 10) curriculum balances academic rigour with creative interests as pupils are exposed to fun and fruitful learning, participate in class discussions and explore issues and ideas with confidence.

SIS is the only international school in Malaysia to offer the Canadian (Ontario) Curriculum, rated one of the world’s best school systems for primary and secondary school education, where students consistently top the Programme for International School Student Assessment.

The Canadian (Ontario) School qualification is recognised globally and accepted by other international schools and universities worldwide. The Ontario Curriculum comprises six components — Ontario Secondary School Diploma; compulsory course; assessment, evaluation and reporting; teaching and learning strategies; extra-curricular activities; and parent engagement.

With English as the medium of instruction, teachers at SIS Sunway Iskandar are Canadian and International Baccalaureate-certified.

Upon completing Grade 12 (pre-university level) studies at SIS Sunway Iskandar, students can join the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, an internationally recognised pre-university qualification.

SIS Sunway Iskandar is purpose-built and designed to suit its natural landscape and surroundings.

All teaching spaces are comprehensively equipped to provide conducive and stimulating environments for teaching, learning, reflection, sports, recreation and many forms of extra-curricular activities.

Strategically located in the heart of Medini, Nusajaya the education institution will seamlessly connect with major highways enabling greater connectivity into Johor Baru, Iskandar and Singapore.

SIS is also the first international school to implement a full laptop programme.

The high speed wireless Internet connectivity throughout the campus provides students and teachers convenient access to online and multimedia resources.

And SIS e-Learn (online course management system) enables teachers to give students and parents valuable feedback, update daily assignments and reports, and share learning resources regardless of physical location.

SIS House (the campus boarding house) is available to both local and international students studying in Grade 9 onwards.

Sunway Education Group senior executive director Dr Elizabeth Lee said: “We are proud to be able to contribute to the Iskandar community through the provision of international education.

The state-of-the-art campus is designed to nurture minds and build characters, especially with our curriculum which focuses on educational technologies and emphasises soft-skill development.”

A special bursary of RM10,000 each will be offered to enrolled students. The bursary is valid for 24 months from the date of the opening of the school. Total bursaries can add up to RM20,00 per student for families who enrol their children at the school and who are buyers of Sunway properties in Sunway Iskandar.

Tan Wee Bee, Sunway Property and Construction (southern region and Singapore) executive director, said: “With 40 years of expertise in the property industry, Sunway is continuously working towards developing sustainable quality living in a community.

“With SIS Sunway Iskandar, we are confident that Iskandar residents will have the privilege of world-class education which will in turn shape a holistic lifestyle.”

Sunway International School commenced in January 2008 at Bandar Sunway. It is owned and governed by the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation, a trust under Sunway Education Group.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I mentioned before, now the southern link is confirmed to be built by sunway. Now wait for the announcement of the building of a petrol station and a fast food restuarant at the entry to medini.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/...-wins-RM169pt8mil-highway-contract/?style=biz

Sunway subsidiary wins RM169.8mil highway contract

KUALA LUMPUR: Sunway Bhd has announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sunway Holdings Sdn Bhd, has won a highway construction contract in Johor worth RM169.8mil.

It said Sunway Holdings had signed the letter of acceptance from IJIC Bina Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Iskandar Investment Bhd, for the contract which is for the design and construction of the Coastal Highway Southern Link in Johor.

The project is expected to commence on Jan 7, 2015, covering a period of 24 months. Sunway said it would contribute positively to the earnings of Sunway Group from the financial year ending Dec 31, 2015 onwards.

When completed, the project is expected to improve connectivity to the Coastal Highway and shorten travelling time to the Second Link to Singapore to about five minutes. Hence, it should benefit Sunway Iskandar, a township project by Sunway, Khazanah Nasional Bhd and Iskandar Investment Bhd, and other developments in Medini Iskandar Malaysia and its surroundings.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can consider getting it? Or anyone got it?

Met up an old friend and unbiased agent a few days ago. Was told the buying sentiments in Iskandar is pretty bad now. Properties in Iskandar are oversupplied for many more years to come.

I think the mad rush last year and early this year to get an Iskandar home was due to all the hype created by the media. Country Gardens was the one name that stood out with advertisements after advertisements every night on the local TV shows. Not quite a good move to buy if it's purely for investment.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buying sentiments are back to the pre-booming days. I wouldn't say BAD. Its back to Normal. S$200K condos with full facilities in Nusajaya is surely cheaper than S$800k condo in Singapore even if you have to cheong 2 hours jam daily and pay RM 100 VEP + Tolls. Already save S$600K ( RM 1.5milion ) leh

Met up an old friend and unbiased agent a few days ago. Was told the buying sentiments in Iskandar is pretty bad now. Properties in Iskandar are oversupplied for many more years to come.

I think the mad rush last year and early this year to get an Iskandar home was due to all the hype created by the media. Country Gardens was the one name that stood out with advertisements after advertisements every night on the local TV shows. Not quite a good move to buy if it's purely for investment.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

According to friends and business associates in the MY property industry, high-rise sales is slow but landed remains hot, except for those >RM2m range (which is quite understandable).

Over the past few months, I have seen v few ads on landed properties, as compared to a deluge of condo ads. Again, quite understandable from developer viewpoint, who would want to build more condos instead of landed, to maximise their profits.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah. Actually Malaysians themselves favour landed properties. Is there a reason why many developers and also Singaporeans are going for high rise condos/apartments in Iskandar? Wouldn't there be a problem selling next time if required, or are these condos marketed mainly at foreigners like Singaporeans?

According to friends and business associates in the MY property industry, high-rise sales is slow but landed remains hot, except for those >RM2m range (which is quite understandable).

Over the past few months, I have seen v few ads on landed properties, as compared to a deluge of condo ads. Again, quite understandable from developer viewpoint, who would want to build more condos instead of landed, to maximise their profits.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah. Actually Malaysians themselves favour landed properties. Is there a reason why many developers and also Singaporeans are going for high rise condos/apartments in Iskandar? Wouldn't there be a problem selling next time if required, or are these condos marketed mainly at foreigners like Singaporeans?

I think the reasons are quite obvious. Most Singaporeans buying there has no intention to live there permanently, mainly as a summer palace only. And they are generally middle aged people with grown up kids who will not stay with them in Johor. Those developers have done their homework. A condo is so much easier to manage, and Not much worry about burglary. Not to mention Singaporeans are generally afraid of Mozzies and bugs (and ghost, lol) esp if the landed is near some forest.
Relatively a landed no doubt is more value for money, but the condo lifestyle (nice Paranomic view, security, facility, free from the low level humidity, bugs, Mozzies) is more appealing to the general Singaporeans. It is more comfy to live high up in tropical region because the humidity is lower and more airy. The same reasons why people pay 3millions sgd to buy penthouse in sg.
Actually, we discussed this before, condo and landed buyers are two different groups of people. Landed has its merits too.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, Malaysians do favour landed properties. But only when they are still young. When they get Older, they find Landed a bit too much to handle. Must cut the grass, etc. A few years after they retire, they will move to Condo. My girlfriend's Auntie in K.L. just last month sold her Landed semi-D to move into a Condo.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are welcomed, sgcount. I think it is important for those interested to buy properties in iskandar to have the information for them to decide and buy a property that suits them and not following a herd mentality or hearsay.

It's good to repeat some key points here from time to time.

1. There is no resale market in iskandar, and not for the next 5 years. Forget about flipping and go for long term.
2. Buy something you will also love to stay in , be it landed or condo. Because you will not be able to sell in the short term, so better enjoy it.
3. Rental will be poor, if you actually rent it out. Cannot cover your loan repayment, but the returns are acceptable if you paid cash for it.
4. Iskandar is not sg, a lot of things will not happen as publicized. Be ready to see some promises not realized or massively delayed. Interesting to see how things evolve for the RTS, HSR, R&F, Country garden, etc.
5. The security situation will improve, but slowly.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope to point out that the rental market is seriously strong. A few times my agents were telling me big companies are renting units for their staff and they have the money but just cant find the ideal units which have to be near to one another or within a development. This is hard to find.. Imagine a big firm looking to rent 100 units only in Imperia.. don't think they can find it.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very good advice, Manhattan. Will be useful for those who are thinking of getting into Iskandar.

I have to admit I was foolish to listen to the sweet talk of the Huttons agent who sold me a unit. I did not do my own homework so yes, I accept the blame myself. So my advice to all is to really do your own research.

My aim is not so much to flip, but to rent out. The agent talked so much about how the rental can cover the loan, how Iskandar will BOOM, etc. He said his own unit in Nusajaya is now reaping him good monthly income.

Like PuteriWorld, I have also heard how strong the rental of properties is in Malaysia. But I think the cases are limited and it really depends on how capable you are in sourcing out the right units. In general, the sentiment right now that I hear is huge oversupply in Iskandar. Those agents who talked so much or kept shouting out Iskandar properties are the "in" thing to buy have all silenced or disappeared. True that finding tenants or buyers will be a problem. Unless you think really long term, 20-30 years later when Iskandar becomes like Singapore in the '90s? But no one can see so far into the future!

I realised too late the rental in Malaysia is really very little. I had the stupid thinking that it is like Singapore. I don't really foresee myself living in Iskandar as I don't drive and the traveling every day is a very big hassle. Unless the public transportation eg RTS is well-established. But that may not even come till many years after 2020, by the look of how slow the whole progress is.

One thing I also would like to point out is that, the RM has been getting weaker and weaker for many years. In addition to the poor rental income (if can even find tenants!), the RM to SGD exchange rate is not favourable at all. I've read forums here that many have been changing their money bit by bit thinking that they are taking advantage of the favourable exchange rate. Actually it is not true. Just when you once thought S$1=RM2.48 was fantastic, and changed a few thousand $ of your SGD money, the rate went up to RM2.52. You thought Wow, and changed some more. Then later it went to 2.56 and you said, Ok Change more! Then recently, 2.6, you said Mai tu liao!! Change more more more! Then at 2.64, you said Keep going, keep going! Remit another S$50,000 into my Msia bank account! If you average it all out, you are actually losing a lot along the way. And whoever says RM won't drop further? Just within 1+ year, the drop in currency is almost 9%, causing a loss from whatever one makes renting his property in Iskandar.

You are welcomed, sgcount. I think it is important for those interested to buy properties in iskandar to have the information for them to decide and buy a property that suits them and not following a herd mentality or hearsay.

It's good to repeat some key points here from time to time.

1. There is no resale market in iskandar, and not for the next 5 years. Forget about flipping and go for long term.
2. Buy something you will also love to stay in , be it landed or condo. Because you will not be able to sell in the short term, so better enjoy it.
3. Rental will be poor, if you actually rent it out. Cannot cover your loan repayment, but the returns are acceptable if you paid cash for it.
4. Iskandar is not sg, a lot of things will not happen as publicized. Be ready to see some promises not realized or massively delayed. Interesting to see how things evolve for the RTS, HSR, R&F, Country garden, etc.
5. The security situation will improve, but slowly.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar is doing fine, looking at the improvements. Just hold first if you can afford. Years later you might look back and think you have made a good decision. Something is not quite right in SG at the moment. You always need plan B.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks FHBH12 for the comforting words. Yes, that's how I console myself too.... hopefully years later, I can look back and not regret.

Haha... I think I know and can understand what you mean by "not quite right in Singapore".