• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Galliani: Balotelli exit in everyone's best interests

439923_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 24, 2014 21:27:00

The Italy international will complete a €20 million move to Anfield early next week and the Rossoneri vice-president feels it was the right time for the forward to move on

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani believes that Mario Balotelli's imminent transfer to Liverpool is in everyone's best interests.

The Rossoneri have agreed a €20 million fee with the Reds for the Italy international, who is expected to complete his proposed move to Anfield on Monday or Tuesday.

Milan boss Pippo Inzaghi has already stated that while the San Siro side are losing "a great player", the sale of a player notorious for misbehaviour on and off the field will have a positive affect on "team spirit".

Galliani has now conceded a matter of weeks after saying that Balotelli was "99 per cent certain" to be staying at Milan, that it was the right move for all three parties.

"It was a decision made in the interests of the player, Milan and Liverpool," the Rossoneri vice-president told Milannews.

Milan are now being linked with a plethora of potential replacements, including Roma's Mattia Destro and Porto's Jackson Martinez, and while Galliani refused to be drawn on his transfer targets, he did admit that he has been talking strikers with Inzaghi on Sunday.

"A centre forward? Yes, it's the priority," he confessed. "We're looking for a replacement for Balotelli."

Milan kick off their Serie A campaign with a home game against Lazio on August 31.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vidal returns, Milan win TIM Trophy

23 August 2014

610413header.jpg

Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal made his return from injury, but Milan claimed the TIM Trophy on Saturday.

Milan were 1-0 winners over Juve and beat Sassuolo 2-0 at the Citta del Tricolore on Saturday to clinch the trophy for the fourth time.

The return of Chile midfielder Vidal was most pleasing for Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri, whose side face Chievo in their league opener on August 30.

Vidal, who has been linked to Manchester United in the close-season, had been battling a knee injury.

"It's important to see Arturo back in the team," Allegri said.

"Even though he's not yet match fit, he played a good half-hour's football tonight."

Milan, who won the pre-season trophy for the first time in six years, beat Juve thanks to Keisuke Honda's 29th-minute goal.

Roberto Pereyra gave Juve a 1-0 win over Sassuolo, who were beaten by Milan after a Jeremy Menez penalty and Stephan El Shaarawy goal.

Allegri believes his team, aiming for a fourth straight league title, are heading in the right direction.

"There are many aspects to improve but we're on the right track," he said.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balotelli exit will improve team spirit - Inzaghi

24 August 2014

612447header.jpg

Filippo Inzaghi believes Milan will have a better team spirit and be hungrier for success without controversial striker Mario Balotelli.

The ex-Manchester City man is on the verge of returning to the Premier League with Liverpool in a move reported to be worth £16million.

Balotelli has hit the headlines for his on and off the field antics throughout his career and although Inzaghi knows his quality is not in doubt, the Milan coach expects the San Siro dressing room to be more harmonious in his absence.

"When a player leaves, it means all the parties involved took this decision. We are certainly losing a great player, but we gain something more in team spirit and hunger," Inzaghi told reporters.

"I wish Balo all the best at Liverpool."

Fernando Torres and Mattia Destro are among several strikers linked with a move to Milan to replace Balotelli, and Inzaghi is hopeful a deal can be done before the transfer window closes.

"The directors know what I want on the market," the former Italy forward added.

"I have to train the players at my disposal and we have a squad up to the task. If someone else arrives then even better, but otherwise we're fine as we are."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Palermo complete double defensive deal

26 August 2014

615875header.jpg

Palermo have bolstered their defensive ranks with the signings of Souleymane Bamba and Emerson Palmieri.

Bamba, an Ivory Coast international centre-back, has signed a three-year deal at the Serie A new boys having most recently played for Trabzonspor in Turkey.

The 29-year-old started his career at Paris Saint-Germain and has gone on to represent Dunfermline Athletic, Hibernian and Leicester City.

"Palermo announces that an agreement has been reached with Souleymane Bamba," read a statement on the club's official website.

"The Ivorian defender, born in 1985, has signed a three-year contract with the club."

Full-back Palmieri has risen through the ranks at Santos and broke into the Brazilian outfit's first team in January 2012.

The 20-year-old has penned an initial loan deal with Palermo retaining the right to make the move permanent.

Palermo secured their return to Italy's top flight by winning the second-tier title last season and begin their Serie A campaign at home to Sampdoria on Sunday.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Roma secure Manolas signing

26 August 2014

616109header.jpg

Roma have secured the sought-after signature of Greece defender Kostas Manolas on a five-year deal from Olympiacos.

Last season's Serie A runners-up have parted with €13million to sign Manolas, with a further €2m to follow if he reaches certain milestones.

Manolas had been a reported target for Arsenal - who recently sold Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona - but Arsene Wenger has been pipped to the post by countryman Rudi Garcia.

The 23-year-old began his career at Thrasyvoulos and moved to Olympiacos in 2012 after three seasons with AEK Athens.

Two Greek Super League titles followed and Manolas was part of the Greece squad that made the last 16 of this year's World Cup in Brazil.

He played every minute in a defence that conceded just twice in four games, but was eliminated on penalties by Costa Rica in the first knockout round.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Marchisio: Allegri´s philosophy will boost Juve´s Europe hopes

26 August 2014

615661header.jpg

Claudio Marchisio believes Massimiliano Allegri's emphasis on possession football will help Juventus in the UEFA Champions League.

Allegri was chosen to replace former head coach Antonio Conte, who surprisingly tendered his resignation in July.

Under Conte - who has since been named Italy boss - Juve won three straight Serie A titles, but failed to make an impression in Europe's premier competition.

Midfielder Marchisio hailed the style of both coaches, but feels Juve will be able to improve in the Champions League under Allegri.

"With Conte everything was more planned and the results speak for themselves - three league titles in a row and two Super Cups," he told Tuttosport.

"Now it is different, Allegri has a different idea of the game, as we saw against Milan.

"We work mainly on the possession of the ball. In Europe it works well, we saw it again last year when we faced teams - they played safe football, whilst we had some difficulties.

"We often speak of our failure in Europe, but the first year [2012-13 season] we went out against Bayern [Munich] and last time we threw away qualification against Galatasaray."

Conte's exit has led to suggestions that Juve's domestic dominance will end, but Marchisio sees no reason why that should be the case.

"It is wrong to say this is the end of a cycle. It is Juve who continues - our nature compels us to win again," he added.

"To win a fourth Scudetto is difficult, but we want to succeed. There are many rivals - Roma [are] ahead of the rest, but I also see Inter, Milan, Napoli and also Fiorentina [as challengers]."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Poli: Seedorf didn't play me in my best position

411711_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 27, 2014 18:59:00

The midfielder is looking forward to the 2014-15 Serie A season as he felt he was asked to take on too many roles during the Dutchman's short tenure at San Siro

Andrea Poli has thanked new AC Milan boss Pippo Inzaghi for playing him in his best position, admitting that he felt that was moved around too much by former coach Clarence Seedorf.

The Italy international joined the Rossoneri from Sampdoria last summer but failed to nail down a regular starting berth, either under Massimiliano Allegri or his predecessor, Seedorf.

Consequently, with Inzaghi seemingly having decided that Poli will be his first choice on the right-hand side of a three-man midfield, the 24-year-old cannot wait for the 2014-15 Serie A campaign to get under way this weekend.

"Coach Inzaghi has put me back in my favourite position," the former Inter man told reporters after training on Wednesday.

"I like to attack and defend and a 4-3-3 formation allows me to be more dangerous in front of goal and I hope to score more goals this season.

"With Seedorf I was switched between roles, but this year it's more suitable."

Poli admitted that he is hoping that regular football this term might lead to a recall to the Italy set-up under new boss Antonio Conte, who visited Milanello on Wednesday.

"The meeting with the Conte was very pleasant," he explained. "He is a winning coach and Italy needs a coach like him."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pogba: Juventus can win without Conte

443475_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Aug 27, 2014 16:25:00

It has been suggested that the Bianconeri will struggle to win a fourth successive Scudetto - but the midfielder insists that they need only remain concentrated

Paul Pogba insists that Juventus can continue winning under Massimiliano Allegri, arguing that the new coach is not so different to predecessor Antonio Conte.

Bianconeri fans were left stunned when Conte sensationally parted company with the Turin club by mutual consent in July, after winning three successive Serie A titles with the Old Lady.

Their shock turned to anger when Massimiliano Allegri, who was sacked by rivals AC Milan midway through last season, was promptly hired as a replacement but Pogba sees no reason for concern ahead of the start of Juve's Scudetto defence this weekend.

"We know him a little more now and everyone is good with him," the France international told reporters on Thursday. "That he's different to another coach is normal.

"For me, it's the first change of coach, but we feel good with him, also on the field, and there are not so many differences to Conte.

"It's true that Conte had a different style, but does not mean that we cannot win [with Allegri].

"We know that we can win if we are concentrated, as Juve have been in these last three years."

However, Pogba admitted that his primary aim now is to help the Bianconeri end their 18-year wait for a third European Cup triumph.

"The Champions League is not an obsession, but an objective and a dream, as it is for all players," the midfielder told reporters. "It's a goal and I really want to win it."

Pogba also confessed that he feels perfectly placed to emerge as a leader on and off the field this season, revealing he has learned much from Juve veteran duo Gianluigi Buffon and Andrea Pirlo.

"I feel older," he mused. "I'm more mature and grown-up because I'm 21 now.

"But playing and training with Buffon and Pirlo makes you grow."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milan v Lazio: Inzaghi and Pioli reigns get under way

29 August 2014

619415header.jpg

Filippo Inzaghi and Stefano Pioli begin their maiden Serie A campaigns in charge of Milan and Lazio respectively at San Siro on Sunday.

Both clubs appointed new coaches in June following disappointing campaigns last term.

Milan finished eighth, a point and a place above Lazio, after a season that saw Clarence Seedorf replace Massimiliano Allegri at the helm in January.

Seedorf has been succeeded by another Milan great in the form of Inzaghi and the former Italy international will be tasked with returning the Serie A giants to happier times, specifically European competition.

Seven league wins from nine at the end of last season were not enough to lift Milan into the UEFA Europa League, and there have been plenty of comings and goings at San Siro during the transfer window.

Robinho and Mario Balotelli have both moved on, with Inzaghi able to bring in the likes of Alex and Jeremy Menez.

Andrea Poli, who enjoyed a promising debut campaign with Milan last term, is aware that a positive result against Lazio on Sunday would serve as an ideal start for Inzaghi.

"Against Lazio it will be the first match of a new movement, we want to win," said Poli this week.

"We want to start on the right foot to give a positive boost to the whole environment. With Inzaghi we have started on a new path, we are trying to improve the team and we are doing just that step by step.

"We want to get to Sunday against Lazio in the best possible shape. I think the spirit of the team is fundamental, trying to be compact and tough."

Lazio also saw two coaches take charge last season, with Edoardo Reja replacing Vladimir Petkovic in January before former Bologna coach Pioli was appointed in June.

Stefan de Vrij, Filip Djordjevic, Dusan Basta and Marco Parolo have all been recruited over the close-season, with Pioli also seeking to re-establish his club in European competition.

Captain Stefano Mauri feels Lazio's new players, coupled with a new coach, will help bring about an improvement.

"So far I have seen a friendly and dedicated team ready with great desire to show we are better than last year. I am convinced that we will do well," he told Lazio Style Radio.

"The new players and coach have brought enthusiasm and desire.

"It's up to us to prove that we are stronger: we hope to start on the right foot and bring Lazio back to the top."

Inazghi must make do without Nigel de Jong (groin) and long-term absentee Riccardo Montolivo (broken leg), while Lazio goalkeeper Federico Marchetti is suffering from a pulled thigh muscle.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Juve´s Allegri era starts at Chievo

27 August 2014

617223header.jpg

Juventus begin their Serie A title defence under new coach Massimiliano Allegri at Chievo on Saturday.

A tumultuous close-season saw adored head coach Antonio Conte surprisingly leave the Turin club, having guided Juve to three successive Scudetti.

Conte has since taken the Italy job, paving the way for Allegri - whose four-year spell at Milan ended in January - to take the reins.

The 47-year-old's tenure will begin at Stadio Marc'Antonio Bentegodi this weekend in the opening game of the 2014-15 season, with big-money striker Alvaro Morata and former Manchester United defender Patrice Evra both poised to make their debuts.

Allegri's former club, Milan, will also be led by a new coach as Filippo Inzaghi takes charge for the first time against Lazio on Sunday.

Inzaghi was appointed to replace the sacked Clarence Seedorf, who filled in at the end of last season following Allegri's departure, and will be desperate to get off to a winning start.

Like Juve, Inter are likely to give a former United stalwart his first Serie A outing as high-profile recruit Nemanja Vidic is set to start at Torino.

Inter will be targeting a good beginning to a crucial campaign as they attempt to challenge Juve and Roma for the title following a fifth-placed finish last term. A Champions League return is also in Inter's sights.

Roma, meanwhile, get under way versus Fiorentina.

Last year's runners-up have a trio of new faces at their disposal in Ashley Cole, Juan Iturbe and Kostas Manolas.

However, those arrivals have been offset by the loss of star centre-back Mehdi Benatia, who has joined Bayern Munich.

The nearest challengers to the top two last season, Napoli, start with a trip to Genoa.

Two of the promoted sides, Cesena and Palermo, play host to Parma and Sampdoria respectively, while the third, Empoli, travel to Udinese.

Palermo went up as champions of Serie B, with Empoli finishing second and Cesena emerging triumphant from the six-team play-off.

Elsewhere, Atalanta take on Verona and Sassuolo tackle Cagliari.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pirlo blow for Juve

28 August 2014

618187header.jpg

Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo will miss the start of the Serie A season after being ruled out for a month with a hip injury.

The Italy playmaker was a doubt for Juve's Serie A opener at Chievo on Saturday after sustaining a knock playing in the Trofeo TIM last weekend.

Pirlo was sent for a scan on Thursday and the Serie A champions revealed that he is set for a spell on the sidelines.

A statement on Juve's official website said: "The examination showed a distraction function hamstring muscle tendon that will require 30 days to complete functional recovery.

"The midfielder will continue his rehabilitation program and will be subjected to further investigations in 15 days."

Pirlo's absence is a blow to coach Massimiliano Allegri, who is preparing to take charge of the Turin giants for the first time in Serie A this weekend.

Allegri is also without Alvaro Morata, Arturo Vidal, Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Squad size crucial for marathon season - Garcia

29 August 2014

619403header.jpg

Roma coach Rudi Garcia believes the size of the club's squad will prove crucial over the course of the coming season.

Garcia's men begin their Serie A campaign against Fiorentina on Saturday, and were drawn alongside Bayern Munich, Manchester City and CSKA Moscow in Thursday's UEFA Champions League draw.

Despite being keen to temper expectations, Garcia is confident that he has the required depth to compete on all fronts.

"I've read lots of things since the start of pre-season: from euphoria, as if we'd already won, to negative things," he said. "Our main aim is to enjoy ourselves when we play and make sure the fans enjoy themselves too.

"We have a bigger roster this year, it's necessary given the games we have to play. We needed two per position and we have that.

"We'll be missing a few players tomorrow but we have able replacements who can come in.

"My players are ready, they can't wait to start and get stuck into the competitive matches.

"Now we're just thinking about beating Fiorentina, then we'll move on to Empoli and the Champions League. We have a marathon to run this year."

Garcia has recruited a host of new players over the close-season, and outlined his plans for Kostas Manolas, Jaun Iturbe and Salih Ucan.

"Manolas? He's our defender for the future," he added. "I don't know if he'll start against Fiorentina but he's available.

"Iturbe is improving a lot. I've been impressed by his attitude and commitment in training.

"Ucan is a talented youngster. The first thing he needs to do is learn the language, he'll be a very important midfielder for us."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Del Piero confirms move to Indian Super League

28 August 2014

618667header.jpg

Former Italy and Juventus star Alessandro Del Piero has confirmed he will play for Delhi Dynamos in the inaugural Indian Super League.

Del Piero will also serve as a brand ambassador for the ISL, which is set to run from October 12 to December 20.

The 39-year-old forward joins fellow World Cup winners David Trezeguet, Robert Pires and Joan Capdevilla in the competition, ending speculation that he was set to join Hungarian outfit Honved FC following two years with Australian A-League team Sydney.

Del Piero tweeted: "I'm pleased to announce that as of today I am a @DelhiDynamos player and ambassador of the new @IndSuperLeague"

He became a club legend during a decorated 19-year spell with Juventus and played 91 times for his country.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Milan and Napoli begin with wins

31 August 2014

622361header.jpg

Milan began life under new coach Filippo Inzaghi with a convincing 3-1 win over Lazio at San Siro on Sunday.

The Milan legend will have been pleased by his side's performance against a team that is widely expected to challenge for a place in Europe.

The hosts were ahead within just seven minutes, when Stephan El Shaarawy burst through the midfield before skinning his man and rolling to an unmarked Keisuke Honda, who finished with aplomb.

That lead was doubled 11 minutes after half-time, when a terrific cross from Ignazio Abate allowed Sulley Muntari to lash home a volley from six yards.

Lazio's Stefan de Vrij endured a torrid afternoon on his Serie A debut and gave away a penalty six minutes later after bringing down Jeremy Menez, who dusted himself off to slot home.

Three minutes later, though, the visitors were back in the game, as Milan's Alex slid in to meet an Antonio Candreva cross, poking the ball beyond his own goalkeeper at the near post.

That goal gave Lazio greater confidence, with Stefano Mauri rattling the post with a stinging volley, while Diego Lopez saved a late penalty as Milan held on.

Jonathan de Guzman enjoyed a dream debut for Napoli, helping them to a 2-1 win at Genoa.

The Dutchman popped up deep into stoppage time to latch onto a Juan Camilo Zuniga ball over the top, finishing from point-blank range to secure the win for Rafael Benitez's men, after Mauricio Pinilla had cancelled out Jose Callejon's early opener.

The result eases the pressure on the former Liverpool boss, after his side crashed out of the Champions League at hands of Athletic Bilbao in midweek.

Elsewhere, it was a Serie A debut to forget for Inter's Nemanja Vidic, as his side were held 0-0 at Torino.

The former Manchester United defender gave away a spot-kick after 20 minutes, although his blushes were initially spared thanks to a Samir Handanovic penalty save.

However, a difficult night was compounded deep into stoppage time when Vidic saw red for dissent.

The reality of Serie A is likely to have dawned on newly promoted Empoli, whose first game in the top flight for six years ended in a 2-0 defeat to Udinese, courtesy of a second-half brace from Antonio Di Natale.

In contrast, Cesena began their return to Serie A with a bang, beating Parma 1-0 thanks to a solitary goal from Alejandro Rodriguez.

Elsewhere, Palermo were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Sampdoria, Cagliari drew by the same scoreline at Sassoulo and Atalanta drew 0-0 with Verona.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Official: Torres joins AC Milan on loan

447196_heroa.jpg

Aug 31, 2014 17:19:00

The Spanish striker has completed his move away from Chelsea and has been charged with the responsibility of filling the void left by Mario Balotelli at San Siro

Fernando Torres has completed his move from Chelsea to AC Milan on a two-year loan deal after passing a medical on Sunday, with the two clubs having agreed terms on Friday.

The Spain international has endured a troubled career at Stamford Bridge, struggling for form following his then British record-breaking €63 million move from Liverpool, but will now stay with the Rossoneri until 2016.

Goal reported the San Siro outfit's interest earlier this week, though there had been fears that the deal could collapse over the 30-year-old's €214,000-a-week wages, but the two sides have worked hard to reach an agreement.

Chelsea completed their hunt for a replacement moments earlier, with the club confirming the signing of QPR striker Loic Remy.

Milan, meanwhile, had been looking for a new No.9 following the sale of Mario Balotelli to Liverpool earlier this week.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Galliani: Milan saved €37 million on Fernando Torres

449316_heroa.jpg

By Rupert Fryer
Aug 31, 2014 08:37:00

The 30-year-old is set to complete a two-year loan move to San Siro, seven years after the Sere A side baulked at the price tag when attempting to sign him from Atletico Madrid

AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has revealed he nearly brought Fernando Torres to the club seven years ago, but was eventually priced out of a deal.

The Spain international is set to join the Serie A club on a two-year loan deal this week after negotiating an exit from Chelsea, three years after joining the club in a €58 million from deal Liverpool.

And Galliani has expressed his delight at finally getting his man, revealing the club wanted to buy Torres from Atletico Madrid in 2007.

"We are very satisfied," Galliani told reporters.

"He was already very close to joining in Milan in 2007 but he was too expensive as he would have cost €37 million. Now we’ve got him for free."

Torres arrived in Milan on Saturday afternoon ahead of a medical that sees him complete his move to Italy, ending a misfiring spell in London that saw him net just 20 goals in the league for Chelsea.

New coach Pippo Inzaghi revealed Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho gave the 30-year-old Spain international a glowing reference.

"I spoke to Mourinho to find out about what kind of man Torres is," Inzaghi told a press conference.

"He is a player who has scored lots of goals and you don’t forget that all of a sudden. He has the right attributes from a human point of view and that is good."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Ginkel seals loan switch to Milan

1 September 2014

622525header.jpg

Chelsea midfielder Marco van Ginkel has followed Fernando Torres to Milan, signing a one-year loan deal with the club on Sunday.

The 21-year-old was signed by Chelsea last year but his first season in London was severely interuppted by an ACL injury he suffered in the League Cup, meaning he managed just two competitive matches for the club.

Milan confirmed the capture of the Netherlands international on their official Twitter account, saying: "Another Dutch joins the red&blacks! Welcome Van Ginkel".

He will now fight for a place in a Milan midfield headed by the likes of Riccardo Montolivo, Nigel de Jong and Keisuke Honda, with Van Ginkel's versatility sure to mean he gets a chance under Filippo Inzaghi.

The move comes just hours after Torres also moved from Stamford Bridge to San Siro, penning a two-year loan deal that will see him end the remainder of his contract with Chelsea in Italy.

The loans of Van Ginkel and Torres mean Chelsea have sorted their foreign player quota problem, even with the signing of French forward Loic Remy that was also completed on what was a frantic day at the London club.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Biabiany makes Milan move

1 September 2014

623227header.jpg

Milan have continued their rebuilding project under Filippo Inzaghi with the signing of Jonathan Biabiany from Parma.

French winger Biabiany becomes Milan's ninth acquisition of the transfer window as they aim to bounce back from a dreadful 2013-14 season that saw them finish eighth in Serie A.

The details of the deal have yet to be confirmed, although Milan are thought to have paid around €4million to bring the 26-year-old to San Siro.

Defender Cristian Zaccardo is expected to go the other way and move to the Stadio Ennio Tardini but no announcement has been made by Parma, who finished sixth in the Italian top flight last term.

A player renowned for his pace, Biabiany joined Parma in a co-ownership deal in 2012 after two loan previous loan spells at the club.

The former France Under-21 international played a key role in Parma's success in the previous campaign, making 36 Serie A appearances and finding the net six times.

Biabiany, whose deadline day move follows the loan signing of Chelsea's Marco van Ginkel, could make his debut for Milan at Parma a week on Sunday.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rossi to have more knee surgery

415542_heroa.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Sep 1, 2014 17:12:00

The Fiorentina striker has struggled with injuries for much of his career and is set for another operation on his troublesome right knee

Fiorentina have confirmed that striker Giuseppe Rossi will need further surgery on his troublesome right knee.

The Italy international has seen his career blighted by serious injuries, with the latest setback meaning he faces a fourth lengthy spell out due to operations on the same joint.

The 27-year-old first suffered anterior cruciate ligament damage in October 2011 while playing for Villarreal in La Liga. He reinjured the knee as he stepped up his comeback in April 2012, meaning he missed out on his national team’s assault on Euro 2012.

After signing for Fiorentina in January 2013 and making his debut in May of that year, Rossi initially appeared to have overcome his knee troubles. But he then strained the medial collateral ligament in January 2014, keeping him out for four months.

He will now have keyhole surgery after receiving a negative diagnosis from a specialist in London following a reoccurrence of knee trouble in pre-season training.

Rossi has netted 17 goals in 25 appearances for Vincenzo Montella’s side, but has missed a total of 52 competitive fixtures already since signing for the club. There is currently no clear timescale for his latest lay-off.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Balzaretti: I might be forced to retire

357308_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Sep 2, 2014 17:41:00

The full-back still has "months of rehab" ahead of him as he attempts to finally overcome a groin injury and says that he could be forced to quit the game

Roma defender Federico Balzaretti has revealed that he might be forced to retire because of a persistent pelvic problem.

The Italy international has been out of action since November of last year and the 32-year-old now fears that his top-flight career is over.

"I wanted to hold this press conference to give you the latest on my injury and explain what I'm going through," Balzaretti told reporters on Tuesday.

"The issue came up around 10 months ago - I felt pain in my pelvis after the Torino game. As I'd never experienced anything like that, I just thought the pain would pass and I played the following game against Sassuolo.

"At the end of the match I had to stop and we noticed the injury to my pelvis.

"We tried an operation in the United States but it didn't produce great results. Then we tried a number of other things in Germany.

"This injury prevents me from doing even the most basic things on the field - every time I kick the ball it flares up.

"I want to be honest with the fans, just as I have been with my team-mates - sadly I still have months of rehab ahead of me.

"Sadly, this pain might end my career, but I want to say that I'll do everything I can to get back out there. I still feel like a footballer and I will try to get over this injury.

"I feel bad for my team-mates, I feel guilty and I would like to be able to experience the highs and lows with them."

Balzaretti, who has been capped 15 times by his country, joined Roma from Palermo in the summer of 2012 for a reported €4.5 million.