• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dani Alves: I´m going to England

2 October 2014

672231header.jpg

Barcelona full-back Dani Alves has revealed he will play in England next season.

Andoni Zubizarreta, Barca's sporting director, announced last month that Brazil international Dani Alves would be leaving Camp Nou after seven trophy-laden seasons when his contract expires next year.

The 31-year-old has long been linked with a move to the Premier League, and he has now confirmed that he will ply his trade in England from the beginning of the 2015-16 campaign.

"I am moving to England next year," Dani Alves told Brazilian newspaper O Globo this week.

"I am going to play in the home of football. This will be my last year at Barcelona."

Dani Alves has made over 300 appearances for Barca since joining from Sevilla in July 2008.

He has won four La Liga titles, two UEFA Champions Leagues, two FIFA Club World Cups and two Copa del Reys in his time in Catalonia.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi to face trial - reports

4 October 2014

674319header.jpg

Lionel Messi is set to face trial over alleged tax fraud, according to widespread reports.

A Spanish judge threw out a prosecution recommendation to clear Messi, on the basis he was not directly involved in the alleged fraud - which has reportedly seen the authorities short over €4 million.

The case is regarding the activities of Messi's father Jorge Horacio Messi, who represents his son, and use of the Argentina captain's image for financial benefit.

While the four-time Ballon d'Or winner claimed he was unaware of any wrongdoing, the judge said Messi still had a responsibility to be aware of his agent's activity.

"In this type of crime, it is not necessary for someone to have complete knowledge of all the accounting and business operations nor the exact quantity, rather it is sufficient to be aware of the designs to commit fraud and consent to them," the judge's statement read.

The judge also denied Messi's request to call lawyer Angel Juarez and Barcelona's marketing director Raul Sanllehi as witnesses.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Getafe 1 Cordoba 1: Diawara denies visitors maiden win

4 October 2014

674269header.jpg

Baba Diawara struck two minutes from time to salvage a 1-1 draw for Getafe and deny Cordoba a first La Liga win of the season.

Cordoba were second best for long periods at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez but hit the front in the 78th minute as Patrick Ekeng netted in style.

But Getafe avoided a fifth defeat in seven league outings this term as Diawara converted from close range in the closing stages.

Cordoba forward Nabil Ghilas was the away side's main threat in the first half, as Emiliano Velazquez needed to produce a perfectly timed last-ditch challenge to thwart a brilliant solo run from the Algerian.

But the best opportunities of the half both fell to Getafe in the final five minutes, only for Abdoul Yoda to twice fall short in front of goal, mis-hitting a volley off target before shooting tamely at Cordoba goalkeeper Juan Carlos when afforded space in the area.

Naldo headed wide from a corner as Getafe continued to press after the break and Angel Lafita had a 62nd-minute effort chalked off for a marginal offside call.

The home team's sense of injustice was compounded as Medhi Lacen was dispossessed and Ekeng drove beyond Velazquez into the box and smashed home.

Diawara was on hand to earn a share of the spoils, prodding home Sergio Escudero's low, first-time cross at the back post and the latter was almost a last-gasp hero when he grazed the outside of the post with a shot from the edge of the area.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia condemn violent fans after Atletico bus attacked

406532_heroa.jpg

By James Willoughby
Oct 5, 2014 08:15:25

The club have vowed to take action following an incident that took place shortly before the club's 3-1 victory over Diego Simeone's side on Saturday

Valencia have promised to take action against supporters who pelted the Atletico Madrid bus with objects on Saturday.

Ahead of the La Liga clash at Mestalla – which Valencia won 3-1 – the home fans hurled items at Atletico's bus, and the club announced they would be working with the authorities to punish those guilty.

A brief statement on the club's official website read: "Valencia CF deeply regrets the throwing of objects at the bus of Atletico Madrid on arrival at Mestalla.

"The club will pursue all measures at its disposal and will be working with law enforcement to track down the perpetrators of the incident.

"And if perpetrators are identified, they cannot access Mestalla in the future."

Valencia scored all three of their goals in the first 13 minutes against the Spanish champions as they extended their unbeaten record this season.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side sit second in La Liga, two points behind Barcelona.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

'It is unfair to call me a mole' - Casillas opens up on Mourinho relationship

456865_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Oct 7, 2014 00:56:51

The goalkeeper has spoken at length about his period in isolation at Real Madrid under the Portuguese coach and rejected reports that suggested he was a bad influence

Iker Casillas has opened up about his relationship with Jose Mourinho during the coach's time at Real Madrid, saying it hurt him to be labelled a "traitor and a mole".

The current Chelsea manager's time in the Spanish capital was riddled with controversy, with his destructive relationship with the goalkeeper one of the biggest issues in the three-year spell.

After a long period of remaining relatively silent, Casillas has spoken at length about their relationship, revealing that it went from good to bad very quickly after controversy built around the club because of the actions of the coach and several players as their rivalry with Pep Guardiola's Barcelona intensified.

"I do respect Mourinho and he is a great coach," he said in an interview with Canal+. "At first, things were great with him and the relationship was good up until the fights against Barcelona - after that you can say things were not good enough.

"Mourinho first tried to send me a message by benching me and I reacted. It was a successful message to work harder.

"I called Xavi and Puyol to bring an end to all of the anger between the Real Madrid and Barcelona players. We were creating a bad image, but I didn't ask forgiveness of anyone. Mourinho didn't talk to me about this call before it. I don't know if it bothered him but people said that it did.

"He likes the players who are always honest with him. Sergio Ramos, Cristiano Ronaldo and I were always honest and upfront with him.

"In the summer of 2012, our relationship was good, we talked a lot, but then there was a change around Christmas. The team wasn't doing well and my relationship with Mourinho became poor. We had disagreements, but with respect."

Casillas admitted that reports from his wife, Spanish TV presenter Sara Carbonero, about unrest in the team's dressing room only made things worse as it was he who was blamed for leaking sensitive information to her.

The Spain goalkeeper continued: "Then Sara reported about problems in the dressing room and that was just an excuse to attack me - I thought she just repeated what everyone else had told her.

"Mourinho didn't say anything to me about Sara's words, but it was easy to notice a change in our relationship.

"Soon, I got injured and after two weeks I noticed the attacks. I was called a traitor and a mole. I feel it's a bit unfair to call me mole but I have to understand that and accept some people's opinions.

"It was hard to be called a mole and I like to think that neither Mourinho nor the president Florentino Perez really believed this.

"Maybe I should have spoken out about it then, but I opted to stay silent. Many have criticised me for staying silent, I think it makes you angrier than when you can speak out.

"We had a professional relationship and that is it. I decided to shut up. I’m not accusing anyone of anything or anyone of leaving bad things at the club. I didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

"Surprisingly, though, when I was injured, my relationship with Mourinho was good and we talked everyday.

"When I recovered, Aitor Karanka said Mourinho didn't feel I was competitive enough, and from here everything started again. My team-mates looked to me and they wondered why this was happening with me and not them too.

"While I was injured, I was a bit isolated. I asked to travel as I like to be with the team, I didn't not feel unwanted but isolated.

"I have the utmost respect for Mourinho but when there is one thing bothering you or one thing you don't like, you have to discuss it. We never told Florentino that we wanted Mourinho to leave. He's one of the best coaches I've had. A guy with character.

"I am speaking now to defend the moment, not what happened a few years ago, but I think I should have said something about it before now.

"It hurts me when my loyalty to Real Madrid is questioned - this club have given me everything."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Mou had issues with players

454777_heroa.jpg

Oct 10, 2014 10:17:40

The Italian says he was well aware of the problems the Portuguese had in the dressing room but insists they soon disappeared upon his arrival

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti admits the dressing room was riddled with division under his predecessor Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho is reported to have clashed with a number of first-team members during his time at the Bernabeu, including training ground spats with Sergio Ramos and a public falling out with club captain Iker Casillas.

Ancelotti has now revealed there were some problems under the Portuguese, but says he found nothing but peace when he arrived in the Spanish capital.

“Before I arrived I was aware that there were lots of problems in the dressing room – problems between some players and Mourinho,” Ancelotti told So Foot.

“Everything that happened in private would end up in the papers the next day. But when I took charge, everything had returned to calm. I didn’t inherit any tensions.

“Was I responsible for returning peace to the dressing room? No, no. When I arrived there was already a lot of serenity.

“Ever since I arrived, there hasn’t been one fight in the dressing room. I have never had an unmotivated player or any confrontations with players who haven’t played as much as they’d want to.”

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Marcelo: I would like to play for Juventus

468234_heroa.jpg

John-Paul Tooth
Oct 12, 2014 19:25:02

The defender has his eyes set on a move to Turin in the future and revealed former Bianconeri star Lillian Thuram was his childhood idol

Real Madrid star Marcelo says he would like to play for Serie A giants Juventus one day.

The left-back has made over 200 appearances for Madrid since joining the club from Fluminense in 2007, but is open to the idea of playing in Italy in the future and following in the footsteps of his childhood idol Lillian Thuram.

“Certainly not now but in the future I would like to wear the shirt of Juventus,” the Brazil international told Tuttosport.

“Paul Pogba is a revelation and my idol is Lillian Thuram. I’m inspired by the best and he was always a quick and safe defender.

The 26-year-old also spoke of his affection Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti, who he has formed a close connection with in the 15 months the pair have worked together at the Bernabeu.
“He’s like a father to me and he’s always very understanding with everyone.”

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Maria was greedy - Ancelotti

458911_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Oct 14, 2014 12:24:05

The Italian coach has explained Madrid's decision to offload the midfielder, while voicing his admiration for Cristiano Ronaldo

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that Real Madrid decided to cash in on Angel Di Maria this summer due to the Argentine's hefty wage demands.

The versatile midfielder played a key role in Madrid's successful Champions League campaign last term as they at last won La Decima.

However, Di Maria was then sold to Manchester United in a deal worth €75 million after talks over a contract renewal broke down.

"Di Maria demanded a lot of money and preferred to leave in order to earn more elsewhere. The club simply couldn't give him the money he wanted," Ancelotti told Cadena Cope.

"There are times when a club has to say no. You cannot change the club's policy for just one player."

The Madrid coach also had his say on Cristiano Ronaldo and insisted the Portugal international is the best player he has ever coached, while admitting that it is not an easy decision to rotate the attacker.

"I have coached Zinedine Zidane and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but I think Ronaldo is the best player I ever trained.

"It's never an easy decision to rest him. He nearly always scores when he plays and you almost start each game 1-0 up when he starts. He is a great professional."

Ancelotti then went on to discuss the signing of James Rodriguez and stressed that the former Monaco man is worth his €80m pricetag, while dismissing claims he is being forced to play the forward to satisfy the Madrid hierarchy.

"James is worth the money. When you pay €80m, it's because you think a player is worth it.

"If the president told me to play someone, I'd step down right away..."

James has netted once in seven La Liga appearances so far, while creating two more.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo passes 100m Facebook Likes

469309_heroa.jpg

Oct 14, 2014 18:15:08

The 29-year-old is well ahead of Lionel Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and has even attracted more fans on the social media site than his club Real Madrid

Cristiano Ronaldo has surpassed the 100 million Likes on his Facebook page and released a video to thank his fans for their support.

The Real Madrid star reached the milestone on Monday afternoon and posted a video in which he expressed his gratitude to his fans before showing highlights of his life and career.

"Thank you everyone, finally I achieve 100 million fans on Facebook," the Portuguese star said in the video.

During the video, text shows on screen which reads: "Since I was a little boy, I always dreamed about beautiful moments like this.

"I'm proud to be one of the world's most-liked public figures on Facebook."

The 29-year-old is well ahead of other football stars. Lionel Messi is approaching 74m Likes on Facebook, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic is close to hitting the 20m mark.

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is approaching 25m, meanwhile, former United, Madrid, PSG an LA Galaxy player David Beckham has less than 50m.

Ronaldo even has more Likes than Real Madrid and Barcelona themselves, who have around 75m and 76m Likes respectively.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valderrama: James worth every penny

469626_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Oct 15, 2014 12:14:31

The 23-year-old has netted just three times for his club but his compatriot is backing him to have a big impact at the Santiago Bernabeu

Colombia legend Carlos Valderrama believes James Rodriguez is worth every penny of the €80 million Real Madrid paid to sign him from Monaco this summer.

The 23-year-old completed a move to the Santiago Bernabeu after starring for his country at the World Cup this summer, in a deal which effectively ended Angel Di Maria's time at Madrid as he was sold to Manchester United.

However,James has since scored just three goals in 12 appearances for Carlo Ancelotti's side, with critics quick to compare his output to that of Di Maria, but Valderrama believes he will soon justify his hefty price-tag.

"James showed his quality in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil," he is quoted as saying by El Enganche.

"The mere fact that he has adapted to an important group of quality players who are already established, has merit on its own. And for one so young like he is, even more so.

"It's an important period for him to learn. [The transfer fee] is a normal figure. Madrid paid what James is worth.

"Now it's his chance. He's 23 and hopes to last at Madrid for a long time."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal
La Liga Preview: Messi in reach of Zarra as Casillas doubts linger

15 October 2014

691211header.jpg

Lionel Messi is on the brink of making yet more La Liga history as Barcelona prepare to host Eibar this weekend.

Barca's star forward has 249 goals in Spain's top flight to his name, after scoring six in seven appearances this term, leaving him just two behind Athletic Bilbao legend Telmo Zarra's record total of 251.

A hat-trick would see Messi rewrite history and LFP president Javier Tebas has called for the game Messi breaks the record in to be stopped in order to mark the event suitably - though that has courted controversy with El Clasico on the horizon next week.

Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has dampened talk of such a commemoration, claiming it "smacks more of American football or basketball, which are more like spectacles and have more stoppages".

Whether Messi scores or not against Eibar, Barca will be looking to continue their excellent Liga start under Luis Enrique - the Catalans have won six of their first seven games and are yet to concede a goal domestically.

Eibar are unlikely to be daunted by that, however, following their hugely impressive introduction to top-flight football.

They have already travelled to champions Atletico Madrid and were perhaps unfortunate to go down 2-1 in a game that saw them create plenty of chances, while a 0-0 draw at Athletic Bilbao represented another creditable result on the road.

Real Madrid found form with six straight wins in all competitions before the international break, Cristiano Ronaldo scoring a sensational 13 goals in the process, but an old issue has reared its head before their trip to Levante.

Iker Casillas has seen his spot in goal come under increasing scrutiny and the 33-year-old was dropped by Spain following a high-profile error in last Thursday's shock defeat to Slovakia.

The Real and Spain skipper returned to regular Liga action this term after a season out in the cold, but Keylor Navas may well be eyeing a chance to impress this weekend at his former club.

Atletico host an Espanyol side without a win on the road since March, while early surprise package Valencia travel to rock-bottom Deportivo La Coruna.

Cordoba and, surprisingly, Athletic are level on four points with Depor in the bottom three and face respective home ties with Malaga and Celta Vigo on Saturday.

Third-placed Sevilla travel to Elche, where Fran Escriba's men have taken just one point from a possible nine this term, and Villarreal host Almeria in Sunday's other fixtures.

Real Sociedad's woeful form is belied by their 4-2 win over Real Madrid in August, and the Basque side will look for just a second success of the season at home to Getafe on Monday.

The weekend's action is kicked off by Granada hosting Rayo Vallecano.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real handed tough route for Copa defence

17 October 2014

693439header.jpg

Real Madrid will likely have to defeat both Atletico Madrid and Barcelona in the next two rounds if they are to retain the Copa del Rey.

Carlo Ancelotti's men overcame both teams en route to victory in 2013-14, dispatching city neighbours Atletico 5-0 on aggregate in the semi-finals before Gareth Bale's incredible solo effort sealed a 2-1 win over arch-rivals Barca in the Mestalla final in April.

The 19-time winners are in line to meet Atletico and Barca at an earlier stage in this season's competition, after the full draw was made on Friday.

Real will take on third-tier Cornella in the last 32, with the first leg brought forward from December 3 to October 29 due to the capital club's involvement in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Atletico have been paired with L'Hospitalet, also of Segunda B, and should both Madrid clubs progress then they will collide in the last 16.

Barca, meanwhile, will take on Huesca for the right to face either Real Valladolid or Elche.

Victory in that tie would send them into the quarter-finals, where a likely meeting with one of the Madrid giants would await.

With the exception of Real's tie, all first legs will be played on December 3, with the return fixtures scheduled for two weeks later.

Round of 32 draw in full:

Huesca v Barcelona, Real Valladolid v Elche, L'Hospitalet v Atletico Madrid, Cornella v Real Madrid, Cadiz v Villarreal, Real Oviedo v Real Sociedad, Real Betis v Almeria, Getafe v Eibar, Deportivo La Coruna v Malaga, Albacete v Levante, Las Palmas v Celta Vigo, Alcoyano v Athletic Bilbao, Rayo Vallecano v Valencia, Alaves v Espanyol, Granada v Cordoba, Sabadell v Sevilla.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Barca, Real win easily

18 October 2014

695421header.jpg

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo starred as Barcelona and Real Madrid claimed comfortable La Liga wins on Saturday.

Messi edged one closer to La Liga's all-time goalscoring record as Barcelona easily beat Eibar 3-0 at Camp Nou.

The Argentina international went into the match needing just two goals to go level on 251 top-flight strikes with Athletic Bilbao legend Telmo Zarra but he could only notch once as he was frustrated by Eibar goalkeeper Xabi Irureta.

Messi saw a couple of chances go begging in the first half, as he was first denied by the right leg of Irureta, before flashing an effort just wide.

In fact, Eibar should have taken the lead themselves before the break, as Ander Capa and Saul Berjon both failed when through on goal.

Xavi eventually gave Barca the lead with an hour gone following a clever pass from Messi and Neymar netted the second 18 minutes from the end to effectively secure the victory.

Messi rounded off a delightful move in the 74th minute to ensure Barca stay four points clear of Real Madrid, with the Argentine now eyeing a record-breaking day against their bitter rivals at the Santiago Bernabeu in a week's time.

A brace from the in-form Ronaldo inspired a dominant Real Madrid to an easy 5-0 win over strugglers Levante.

The Portuguese superstar went into the game at the Estadio Ciudad de Valencia having scored 13 goals in just six league appearances this season.

And he wasted little time in taking his tally to 14, scoring from the penalty spot after Javier Hernandez had been fouled by Juanfran after 13 minutes.

On-loan Manchester United striker Hernandez got on the scoresheet himself just before half-time with a well-taken header, before Ronaldo added his second of the game and 15th of the campaign with a brilliant individual effort just after the hour.

James Rodriguez got in on the act shortly after and Isco rounded the scoring off with superb finish from 20 yards eight minutes from time as Real warmed up for a week featuring a UEFA Champions League trip to Liverpool and the season's first Clasico against Barcelona in style.

Elsewhere, Athletic Bilbao's struggles continued as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Celta de Vigo.

With just one win in eight league matches, Ernesto Valverde's men are 16th.

Malaga rose to seventh with a 2-1 victory at Cordoba.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico Madrid 2 Espanyol 0: Simeone´s men take the points

19 October 2014

695765header.jpg

Champions Atletico Madrid stayed within touching distance of La Liga leaders Barcelona by edging to a 2-0 win over Espanyol on Sunday.

Tiago Mendes' superb header just before half-time put Atleti ahead before Mario Suarez struck in the 71st minute to secure all three points at Estadio Vicente Calderon.

All eyes were on Diego Simeone's men after they stumbled to a 3-1 defeat against Valencia prior to the international break.

Atleti subsequently entered the game in fifth position and eight points behind Barca with a game in hand.

Yet they were able to grab a crucial success versus an Espanyol side who were unbeaten in their last four games thanks to Tiago and Suarez.

The duo's efforts lifted the Spanish champions to fourth, while their opponents dropped to 11th.

Simeone made four changes from the loss to Valencia, Jesus Gamez, Miranda, Guilherme Siqueira and Antoine Griezmann replaced by Juanfran, Jose Gimenez, Cristian Ansaldi and Raul Garcia.

Salva Sevilla started in place of Victor Sanchez in the sole Espanyol change following the 2-0 triumph over Real Sociedad last time out.

Atletico almost took the lead in just the second minute, Tiago flicking on Gabi's corner to the back post - where Arda Turan unleashed a powerful volley that forced Kiko Casilla into a stunning reactionary save.

Miguel Angel Moya, Casilla's opposite number, was pressed into action soon after, the goalkeeper producing a point-blank stop to deny Alvaro Vazquez from Sergio Garcia's fine centre.

Casilla was then forced to turn Koke's low strike around the post.

Atleti were particularly dangerous from set-pieces, illustrated by Tiago forcing Casilla into another save from Gabi's corner.

But Casilla could do little as Tiago opened the scoring after 43 minutes, looping a header into the far corner from Gabi's superb cross.

Atleti flew out of the blocks at the start of the second period, although their attacks were lacking the desired ingenuity.

Espanyol grew into the half and, scenting an opportunity, pressed forward in search of a leveller.

That left them susceptible to the counter-attack, epitomised by Mario Mandzukic forcing a good stop from Casilla as Atletico quickly transitioned from defence to attack.

But it was their excellence from set-pieces that brought the crucial second goal with 19 minutes left.

Diego Godin rose highest to meet Koke's corner, his header finding Raul Jimenez - who then nodded back across goal for Suarez to tap into an empty net when the ball already seemed destined to cross the line.

That seemed to take the wind out of Espanyol's sails, with the hosts almost adding a third when Griezmann rattled the outside of the post from a tight angle having rounded Casilla.

This miss mattered little, however, as Atleti saw out the rest of the game to take the spoils.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Sociedad 1 Getafe 2: Yoda brace stuns San Sebastian

20 October 2014

697489header.jpg

A sensational late brace from Abdoul Karim Yoda earned a 2-1 win for Getafe at Real Sociedad and piled further pressure on Jagoba Arrasate.

Sociedad coach Arrasate has come under pressure following his team's poor start to the season, which had seen them win just one of their seven La Liga matches - against Real Madrid - prior to Getafe's visit to San Sebastian.

The 36-year-old was backed by Sociedad president Jokin Aperribay before the international break and looked set to be boosted by a welcome victory when substitute Pablo Hervias put the hosts ahead with eight minutes remaining.

However, Yoda equalised in the last minute of normal time with his maiden goal for Getafe and then grabbed a dramatic winner following superb work from Sammir, who rounded off a superb run by squaring for his team-mate to convert.

Getafe were therefore able to celebrate their first top-flight victory at the Estadio Anoeta, while Sociedad remain a point ahead of bottom club Cordoba.

Hervais appeared likely to be the home hero when he popped up at the far post to apply the finishing touch to a superb move.

Sergio Canales, another second-half replacement for Sociedad, produced a cheeky backheel into the path of Carlos Vela following a quickly taken throw-in and the latter picked out Hervias with a clever cross using the outside of his left boot.

But Arrasate's men were dealt a painful blow when Yoda levelled with a low left-footed shot from the edge of the area, seconds after seeing a similar effort charged down.

Remarkably, there was further misery to come for Sociedad as Sammir burst down the left wing and dribbled to the byline before picking out Yoda, who made no mistake with the goal at his mercy.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo will retire at Real insists Ancelotti

20 October 2014

696943header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has reaffirmed his belief that Cristiano Ronaldo will retire at Real Madrid and not return to former club Manchester United.

Portugal international Ronaldo rose to prominence at Old Trafford, winning three Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the UEFA Champions League during his six-year stay in Manchester.

The Ballon d'Or holder has since cemented his legacy as one of the greatest players in the world during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu and 29-year-old is in sensational form this season with 15 Liga goals in just seven appearances.

However, there have been persistent rumours that Ronaldo may seek a return to United, with the player himself suggesting that he could one day once more ply his trade for the club.

Real coach Ancelotti does not foresee that possibility, though, and suggested the club's relationship with Ronaldo is excellent.

"Everyone can be changed and replaced but Ronaldo is the best player in the world. If he left Madrid it would be a huge loss," he told The Sun.

"But that won't happen because he will end his career in Madrid.

"I am 100 per cent sure Ronaldo won't be at Manchester United next season, 100 per cent. I can't be wrong because he is happy in Madrid. Everyone wants to be here.

"The club is delighted to have the best player in the world. At the moment the relationship between club and player is perfect.

"So I don't think that is going to change. Ronaldo will end his career at Real Madrid."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Levante sack Mendilibar

21 October 2014

697821header.jpg

Levante have sacked head coach Jose Luis Mendilibar after just eight matches in charge.

Mendilibar took over from Joaquin Caparros in the close-season, but has paid the price for a poor start to the 2014-15 campaign.

In eight La Liga outings, Levante have won just once - a 1-0 success at Granada last month - and they currently lie second from bottom with five points to their name.

Levante have scored a league-low four goals in those eight games, and conceded 20, the most in the division.

A statement on the club's official website confirmed the news, before expressing thanks to Mendilibar for his time in charge.

"The board appreciates the professionalism shown by Jose Luis Mendilibar while at Levante, as well as his coach, Inaki Bea, and his trainer, Toni Ruiz; and wishes in the future all the luck at the professional and personal level," it read.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alcaraz takes over at Levante

22 October 2014

699039header.jpg

La Liga strugglers Levante have appointed Lucas Alcaraz as their new coach following the sacking of Jose Luis Mendilibar.

Mendilibar paid the price for the club's dismal start to the season on Tuesday when he was fired after just eight matches in charge.

Levante, who have picked up just five points this term and sit second-bottom of the Spanish top flight, have now turned to the experienced Alcaraz.

The 48-year-old brought an end to his second spell in charge of Granada in May, having kept the club safe from relegation, and has also coached both Almeria and Recreativo Huelva on two occasions.

In addition, Alcaraz has taken charge of Dos Hermanas, Racing Santander, Xerez, Real Murcia, Cordoba and Greek side Aris Thessaloniki.

Alcaraz, who will be supported at Levante by assistant Jesus Canadas, is set to take charge of his new side for the first time on Friday when they travel to Celta Vigo.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Real host Barca in El Clasico, Sevilla face Villarreal

23 October 2014

700449header.jpg

All eyes will be on Luis Suarez as he returns to professional football in Saturday's mouth-watering El Clasico.

The Uruguay striker is set to make his first appearance since receiving a four-month ban for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.

Lots has happened since Suarez's moment of shame, most notably his reported €94million switch from Liverpool to Barcelona, and he will be desperate to repay the faith shown in him by the Catalan giants with a debut goal.

The fact that Suarez's landmark appearance comes in the biggest game of club football in the world is a script writer's dream - but there will be plenty of other stars on show at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Lionel Messi, for example, can become La Liga's all-time leading scorer with a brace, while Real talisman Cristiano Ronaldo is rarely out of the headlines.

Throw Neymar, James Rodriguez, Andres Iniesta and Karim Benzema into the mix and you have a fixture that will draw the attention of the world.

Barca lead the league by three points and will be buoyed by the fact they did the Liga double over Real last term, including a 4-3 road win that was a genuine classic.

Both sides enter the 229th El Clasico off the back of UEFA Champions League wins, but Real will be without Welsh star Gareth Bale, who misses out with a gluteal injury.

Second-placed Sevilla may enjoy the lack of attention on them this weekend as they host Villarreal on Sunday.

Unai Emery's men - inspired by the six goals of striker Carlos Bacca - have won six of their eight matches this season.

Villarreal will arrive in Seville in good form, though, having secured consecutive victories to climb to sixth.

Sevilla can go level on points with Barcelona if they win and Real claim all three points in El Clasico.

Last season's champions Atletico Madrid visit Getafe as Diego Simeone's men seek to keep pace with the chasing pack, knowing a win could take them up to second.

Fourth-placed Valencia should have few problems at home to Elche, who sit in the relegation zone.

Granada will be out to arrest a run of four straight losses at Eibar - who have not won in four themselves.

Cordoba have a good chance to move away from the foot of the table when they host Real Sociedad, who have not won since August.

Elsewhere, Celta de Vigo host Levante on Friday, while Almeria battle Athletic Bilbao and Rayo Vallecano visit Malaga.

And Deportivo La Coruna - who ended a run of four straight losses, in which they shipped 15 goals, with victory over Valencia last time out - hit the road to play Espanyol.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Celta Vigo 3 Levante 0: Alcaraz defeated in first game in charge

24 October 2014

702117header.jpg

Joaquin Larrivey's double helped Celta Vigo to a 3-0 win and consign Lucas Alcaraz to defeat in his first match as Levante coach on Friday.

Alcaraz was handed the reins at Levante on Tuesday after predecessor Jose Luis Mendilibar paid the price for a dismal start that yielded just five points from the club's opening eight league matches.

However, the appointment of Alcaraz failed to spark an immediate revival at the Estadio de Balaidos as Levante lost for the sixth time in the league this season and they remain in 19th position.

Larrivey scored in each half to put Celta into a commanding lead before a goalkeeping error from Diego Marino ensured substitute Alex Lopez also finished the match on the scoresheet as Celta climbed one spot to sixth.

Larrivey opened the scoring in the 27th minute with a smart finish from eight yards after a free-flowing move, although he appeared to be in an offside position when he received the ball.

Celta's lead was almost doubled shortly after the break when Santi Mina's cross narrowly evaded Nolito in the penalty area.

Levante's opportunities proved scarce, but Andreas Ivanschitz's thunderous strike from 25 yards beat Sergio Alvarez in the Celta goal but cannoned back of the crossbar.

That proved to be Levante's best chance and Celta moved 2-0 ahead in the 83rd minute when Larrivey nodded into the unguarded goal after Nolito's initial effort had been saved.

The points were then confirmed in the last minute of time when Lopez's effort from the edge of the area squirmed through the hands of Marino.