• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deportivo thrashing answered critics - Ancelotti

20 September 2014

658563header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti believes his players have answered their critics after thrashing Deportivo La Coruna 8-2 on Saturday.

Ancelotti's men travelled to Galicia on the back of successive defeats in La Liga, losing to Real Sociedad and then bitter rivals Atletico Madrid.

Tuesday's 5-1 win over Basel in the UEFA Champions League served as a morale boost and Real were at their lethal best at the Riazor.

Cristiano Ronaldo netted a hat-trick, as Gareth Bale and Javier Hernandez both grabbed two each and James Rodriguez found the net with a fine strike.

Although Ancelotti urged his men to continue improving, he believes Real's stars proved themselves on Saturday.

"We have shown our quality and [that] we have players with great skill," the Italian is quoted as saying by Marca.

"We played with great intensity and we tried to do well in all phases of the game. [But] we need to improve our consistency and our balance."

Deportivo began the second half well and pulled a goal back from the penalty spot through Haris Medunjanin, but three substitutions from Ancelotti saw the visitors reaffirm their dominance.

"The changes gave the team more intensity and freshness," Ancelotti added.

"Illarra [Asier Illarramendi] gave balance and depth and Isco and Chicharito [Javier Hernandez] quality. James [Rodriguez] played well too."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Saturday September 20 2014

‘How can Barca beat Levante? Ability.’

By Football Espana staff

enrique-glasses490ai_3.jpg

Luis Enrique isn’t fazed by the prospect of his Barcelona team meeting a defensive Levante on Sunday as he backs his side to be good enough.

Enrique appeared before the Press on Saturday and discussed the match at Ciutat de Valencia, particularly how La Blaugrana will cope with what is expected to be a defensive home team.

“Levante have started the season as expected and it’s a tough game, as it is for anyone away from home,” Enrique said, according to AS.

“We know their defensive potential and their game in detail. We will try to overcome them.

“How do we overcome a team with 10 men behind the ball? With our ability. Throughout the season we’ll play teams who are more defensive.”

Enrique was also asked two very different questions regarding Neymar and Lionel Messi after the former was pictured in Milan, while the amount of games played by the latter was queried.

“I don’t mind at all Neymar going to Milan. It’s his private life and the players are free to do what they want,” Enrique replied.

“They should enjoy it. I dedicate myself to my children in my spare time. I have a fun group of players, they’re spontaneous.

“I’m going to see what the team needs [regarding Messi]. I’ll try to manage him in the best way possible.

“But since I don’t know everything that’s going to happen, I will make a decision.”

The subject of a busy seven days was broached but Enrique batted back questions about anything other than the very next game.

“The goal is to win at Levante and what I hope is to see my team at their very best, to be better than Levante and the rest of the teams,” he said.

“We aren’t the centre of the world and to reach our goals we have to do everything well.

“We’re not so good when we win and we’re not so bad when we lose.”

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Barca hammer Levante, Villarreal in two-goal comeback

21 September 2014

660101header.jpg

A 5-0 win at Levante saw Barcelona's perfect start to the season continue, while Villarreal came from two down to beat Rayo Vallecano 4-2.

Luis Enrique's start to life as Barca coach has seen the team collect four successive league wins without conceding a single goal and, although Neymar was initially wasteful, they romped to victory on Sunday.

The Brazilian spurned several chances in the first half at Ciudad de Valencia, before finally finding the breakthrough in the 34th minute.

Loukas Vyntra then picked up a red card for fouling Lionel Messi in the area just before half-time and, although the Argentinian missed the target with his spot-kick for the first time in his La Liga career, Ivan Rakitic emphatically made sure Barca held a 2-0 lead at the interval.

Neymar was unhappily withdrawn just after half-time following a knock to his ankle, but his replacement Sandro Ramirez swiftly gave Barca a three-goal lead.

A Pedro tap-in and a clever Messi chip after Jesus Fernandez's dreadful attempted clearance gave the scoreline a resounding look in the final 30 minutes, ensuring Barca ended the weekend where they started it; at the top of the table.

Villarreal were forced to do things the hard way as they came from two goals behind to beat visitors Rayo 4-2 at El Madrigal.

Gael Kakuta headed the away side into a 22nd-minute lead and they doubled their advantage seven minutes later as Alberto Bueno tapped in after Sergio Asenjo could only parry a Leo Baptistao effort.

The Villarreal fightback started in the 33rd minute, though, as Javier Espinosa finished off a fine move by the hosts.

Mateo Musacchio headed Villarreal level with just under 30 minutes to go and Luciano Vietto netted his first goals from the club to secure victory.

The 20-year-old Argentinian replaced Espinosa just before the hour and his impact was telling, firing Villarreal ahead in the 74th minute, before completing the scoring in the dying stages with an easy finish.

Sevilla went to the top of the league for a couple of hours after beating hosts Cordoba 3-1 in the visitors' first Andalucian derby of the season.

Unai Emery's men dominated for much of the game and, although Borja Garcia scored late on for the hosts, the Europa League champions claimed victory thanks to a Carlos Bacca double and a header from Stephane M'Bia.

The day's early kick-off saw Almeria pile even more pressure on to Real Sociedad coach Jagoba Arrasate with a 2-1 win at Anoeta.

An Alberto de la Bella own-goal gave the visitors the edge in the first half and Mauro dos Santos doubled their lead just after the break.

Sebastian Dubarbier's red card for a second caution in the 79th minute gave Real hope, but they were unable to salvage a point despite Gonzalo Castro's late consolation.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Elche set for Real test, Barca head to Levante

22 September 2014

660979header.jpg

Elche could be forgiven for fearing the worst from Tuesday's La Liga trip to the Santiago Bernabeu to take on a rampant Real Madrid side.

Back-to-back league losses clearly riled Carlo Ancelotti's charges and the response was emphatic.

First Basel were handed a 5-1 UEFA Champions League thrashing, before Deportivo La Coruna were hammered 8-2 on home soil, with Cristiano Ronaldo scoring a hat-trick.

The fact that Elche lost at home to Eibar on Friday underlines the scale of the task facing them in the capital.

But while Real appear to have found form, Barca never lost theirs and a superb display against Levante yielded a 5-0 triumph that extended Luis Enrique's record as coach to five wins from as many competitive fixtures, during which they have yet to concede a goal.

The 44-year-old duly saluted Lionel Messi, scorer of the fifth goal against Levante and the man who heads La Liga's assists chart.

"He's special," said Enrique. "His team-mates know he can make spectacular assists. I love these combinations."

Next up for the Catalan giants is a tip to Malaga, against whom they have won 12 successive matches. And given that they lead second-placed Sevilla by two points and fierce rivals Real by six, Ivan Rakitic has insisted they are focusing on taking care of their own business.

"The results that the other teams get don't matter much to us," the Croatian, who along with Neymar is a doubt for the Malaga test, told his club's official website. "We just have to keep fighting hard. We're right on track, although there is still a lot of work to do."

Defending champions Atletico Madrid, four points off the pace, will attempt to win away to Almeria for the first time in what will be their sixth attempt.

Atletico lost at Olympiacos last week before a disappointing draw at home to Celta Vigo on Saturday.

"Some important players have left the club, and it is normal that when the software on the computer has changed, it takes time for the computer to react," said Atletico defender Miranda.

Sevilla, for whom Colombian striker Carlos Bacca has scored four times in his last three league matches, host mid-table Real Sociedad.

Granada, in fourth, are at home to rock-bottom Levante, while Valencia, on seven points from their three outings, entertain lowly Cordoba.

Eibar and Villarreal, both in the top half, collide as Celta put their unbeaten record on the line at home to Deportivo.

Finally, in battles at the bottom, Rayo Vallecano and Espanyol host Athletic Bilbao and Getafe respectively.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sanchez confident Hernandez will thrive in Madrid

22 September 2014

660403header.jpg

​Hugo Sanchez feels Real Madrid's creativity and style of play will see Javier Hernandez thrive at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Hernandez, who joined Real on a season-long loan from Manchester United on transfer deadline day, scored his first goals for the Spanish giants with a late brace in their 8-2 hammering of Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday.

And his fellow Mexican Sanchez, a Real legend who scored 208 goals in 282 matches for the club between 1985 and 1992, believes that Hernandez will go on and net many more in the famous white strip while playing alongside the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez.

"He scored two great goals and I'm sure he will score many in Madrid," Sanchez told AS. "He's a phenomenon.

"[He is] very fast, intuitive, with movement and speed and he shoots well with his left and his right and his head.

"He is a player who intercepts the opponent very well and visualises what's happening next. What he needs to win a place under [Real coach] Carlo Ancelotti is what he did at Riazor. Confidence comes with goals.

"When he's given more time and more chances, hopefully he will be as effective as is required in Madrid.

"In this team there are enough chances created and that will help."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Alonso replaceable, but Di Maria is not - Sanchez

458911_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Sep 22, 2014 11:01:49

The Real Madrid legend has lamented the loss of the Argentine midfielder, but lauded his compatriot Javier Hernandez, who scored his first goals as a Blancos player on Saturday

Real Madrid legend Hugo Sanchez has suggested that, unlike Xabi Alonso, Angel Di Maria is an irreplaceable loss for the European champions.

Both midfielders were offloaded in the last couple of weeks of the transfer window - Alonso wanted to leave and was sold for around €10 million to Bayern Munich, while Manchester United's club record bid of €75m was enough to convince the Blancos to cash in on Di Maria.

Sanchez, who played as a striker at the Santiago Bernabeu from 1985 until 1992, hinted that Real Madrid's spiralling debt of over €600m could be to blame for selling two of their best players.

"It's very hard to tell from the outside how Di Maria and Alonso's departures went down within the club," he told AS. The approach can be very contrasting for a coach than for others in more managerial roles.

"If the accounts are not balanced though, it is very difficult to spend, spend and spend without selling. If you spend you will have to sell. It is a maths game and it all depends on the management.

"I guess as a coach Ancelotti would have liked Di Maria and Xabi Alonso to stay. But above all Di Maria, because there are several players who can replace Xabi. Di Maria was one of the best players in the world and was helping Madrid a lot, but the accounts have to be done.

"I don't know if it is true that Di Maria left because he didn't feel valued, but I like good football and he was one of the best footballers in the world."

Despite being critical of selling the Argentine to the English side, Sanchez lauded Madrid's loan signing of Javier Hernandez from United and, following his debut goals for the Blancos on Saturday as a substitute against Deportivo La Coruna, predicts big things for his fellow Mexican this season.

"He's a phenomenon," Sanchez added. "He is very fast, intuitive, he has good movement and shoots well with his left foot, right foot and head.

"He is a striker who intercepts the opponent very well. With goals, trust will come from Ancelotti. When given more time and given chances, hopefully his effectiveness is what is required in Madrid. In this team enough chances are created and that will help Chicharito."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone: Whistles not a problem for Atletico

450658_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Sep 23, 2014 19:26:26

The Rojiblancos were jeered by their own supporters on Saturday but the Argentine coach has no issue with the Vicente Calderon faithful expressing their displeasure

Diego Simeone is not in the least bit perturbed that some Atletico Madrid fans whistled his team following their 2-2 draw with Celta Vigo at the weekend.

The reigning Liga champions remain unbeaten domestically this campaign but after letting a 2-1 half-time lead slip against the Galician outfit on Saturday, they were berated by their own supporters.

However, Simeone has no issue with the backlash, arguing that it was a perfectly normal reaction to a poor result.

"I’m surprised that such a spontaneous act from people that love their team and its manager causes so much talk - it’s respectable," Simeone said.

"They are thinking about what is best for the team. Sometimes in football you can approve some things and not others.

"Even though you are loved by the Atleti fans, it’s normal that they can review any decisions that you take.

"It was a spontaneous act and these are the ones I appreciate in life."

On Wednesday the Rojiblancos travel to face an Almeria team that claimed a 2-1 win at Real Sociedad last weekend and Simeone - who is currently serving an eight-game touchline ban - is keen to ensure that his side cut out the defensive mistakes that cost them two points against Celta.

"There are aspects of our game that we need to improve as a team," the former midfield ace added.

"When you concede, that is usually as a result of a team's mistake. It can be an individual mistake but if the team is strong you can compensate for that and stop conceding.

"Obviously, the less you concede the better. I hope that we can go back to clean sheets.

"We will find a dangerous rival [Almeria] who have improved from last season and are stronger.

"Their players are very quick and [forward Fernando] Soriano is very good in the air, so we will have to focus a lot on defence. It will be a difficult match."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Ronaldo runs rampant, Alvarez denies Deportivo

23 September 2014

662449header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo produced yet another masterclass to steer Real Madrid to a come-from-behind win, while Celta Vigo survived late drama.

Ronaldo scored four goals as Real routed Elche 5-1 at The Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday, with Gareth Bale also on target for the hosts.

Having scored a hat-trick in the 8-2 mauling of Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday, the Portuguese was again in imperious form, though Ronaldo's night had hardly begun as he would have wished - he was at fault for the 15th-minute penalty that gave Elche a shock lead through Edu Albacar.

The Portugal international was punished for making contact with Pedro Mosquera when clearing a corner and Albacar lashed the spot-kick into the top corner, giving Keylor Navas no chance despite the goalkeeper diving the right way.

But a wounded Madrid - and Ronaldo in particular - rallied, with three quick goals of their own through Bale and a double from the FIFA Ballon d'Or winner to lead at the break.

James Rodriguez created the first after 20 minutes with a pin-point cross from the left that Bale met with a glancing header, although Manu Herrera should have done better in the Elche goal as the ball slipped under his grasp.

Real went ahead for the first time eight minutes later when they were awarded a penalty of their own - Mosquera adjudged to have brought down Marcelo.

Ronaldo's emphatic spot-kick gave Herrera no chance and four minutes later the forward scored again with a perfectly placed header.

His third came with 10 minutes remaining before the fourth - a typically cool finish from Bale's pass - arrived in injury time, as Elche simply had no response.

Meanwhile, Sergio Alvarez was the hero as Celta Vigo prevailed 2-1 at home to Deportivo.

Alvarez denied Haris Medunjanin from the spot, saving an 88th-minute penalty after Gustavo Cabral was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the area.

The win preserved Celta's unbeaten start to the season, with the club level on nine points alongside Real.

Earlier, Nolito had given Celta a third-minute lead with a low strike into the bottom corner - his second goal in as many games.

Cuenca levelled proceedings for Deportivo 10 minutes into the second half, only for Joaquin Larrivey to restore Celta's lead 18 minutes from time.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo dismisses United rumours

24 September 2014

662651header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo poured cold water on a possible return to Manchester United, claiming his future is with Real Madrid.

Ronaldo has openly spoken about his desire to return to Old Trafford in the future, but talk of a move back to Manchester has intensified in recent weeks after Real parted ways with Angel di Maria and Xabi Alonso.

While Real have replaced the pair with Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez, former president Ramon Calderon said the Portugal captain had become disillusioned in Madrid.

Former United defender Gary Neville also talked up Ronaldo's potential return, claiming it is a possibility, with Manchester showcasing their financial strength in the transfer market.

However, Ronaldo distanced himself from those rumours after scoring four goals against Elche on Tuesday.

"It's nothing important, what's important is Madrid. On a personal level, things are going well and I want to help this shirt," Ronaldo said post-game.

"I don't see a need to talk about things outside the club.

"It's all speculation, speaking about my future … My future is Madrid. I'm happy.

"The season is going well and I'm not talking about my future, it doesn't make sense."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neymar & Rakitic get medical all-clear

447566_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Sep 24, 2014 11:57:23

The gifted attacker and the ex-Sevilla midfielder are both ready to go again, while Jeremy Mathieu and Dani Alves will miss the match versus Malaga

Neymar and Ivan Rakitic have been included in the Barcelona squad for Wednesday's La Liga match against Malaga after overcoming injuries.

The Brazil international and the Croatian midfielder picked up minor knocks in the Catalans' 5-0 win over Levante at the weekend and were consequently doubtful for the visit to La Rosaleda.

However, Barcelona have now announced that Neymar has recovered from his ankle injury, while Rakitic has shaken off his foot problem.

Luis Enrique will have to make do without the services of the injured Rafinha, Jordi Masip and Thomas Vermaelen, though, while Dani Alves and Jeremy Mathieu have both been left out of the 19-man squad for technical reasons.

Promising youngsters Munir El Haddadi and Sandro have both been included in the squad for the match versus Malaga again.

Barcelona currently sit atop of the table with 12 points from four games, while Malaga are La Liga's number 11 with five points.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vermaelen declared fit to make Barcelona debut

460692_heroa.jpg

Dominic Raynor
Sep 25, 2014 14:34:58

The Belgian international has recovered from a hamstring injury sustained at the World Cup and has joined up with Luis Enrique's first-team squad.

Thomas Vermaelen has been declared fit to make his Barcelona debut after recovering from a hamstring injury.

The Belgian international, who joined Barca from Arsenal in a €19 million deal in August, was injured during this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

The 28-year-old pulled up during the first-half of their Group H match with Russia and had to be substituted.

He returned to action on Wednesday to play 63 minutes for Barcelona B, scoring the opening goal in a 6-0 win against an Indonesia Under-19 XI.

Barcelona confirmed on Thursday that Vermaelen has now joined up with Luis Enrique's first team and is ready for selection if required.

The Liga leaders, who were held to a 0-0 draw at Malaga on Wednesday, host Granada on Saturday.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Barca face Malaga, tests for Madrid duo

25 September 2014

664447header.jpg

Barcelona will be expected to put their first setback of the 2014-15 season behind them when they face Granada on Saturday.

Luis Enrique's side won their opening five matches of the season in all competitions but were toothless at Malaga on Wednesday, failing to register a shot on target in a goalless draw.

The result - which did at least yield a sixth consecutive clean sheet - left Barcelona level with nearest rivals Sevilla on 13 points apiece, with Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid two and four points off the pace respectively.

The Barca coach paid tribute to Malaga for keeping Messi quiet but also took the positives from the start that he has made to his Camp Nou tenure.

"It's to Malaga's credit that Messi wasn't so involved," he said. "But we're still unbeaten, we still haven't conceded – we're on the right track."

Since returning to La Liga in 2011, Granada have lost five of their six meetings with Barcelona, though they won their last 1-0 in April.

Atletico have come in for some criticism for an apparent over-reliance on set-pieces and that intensified after Miranda headed home the only goal against Almeria from a corner on Tuesday.

However, coach Diego Simeone, whose touchline suspension will continue at home to Sevilla, retorted: "In order to have corners, you have to attack. Winning because of strategic goals doesn't bother me – it's part of the game."

Stephane Mbia and Gerard Deulofeu have been thriving for Sevilla, who have won five straight competitive games.

"We've been very consistent," said Sevilla coach Unai Emery. "Hopefully our season can go from good to great."

Villarreal welcome Real Madrid and a rampant Cristiano Ronaldo, who has scored seven goals in his past two appearances, to El Madrigal.

In-form Russia winger Denis Cheryshev is ineligible to play against his parent club but Villarreal can take confidence from the fact they are unbeaten in five outings and have drawn their last two assignments at home to Real.

In a distraction from the on-field action, a Manchester United fans' group is planning to fly a banner over the stadium urging Ronaldo to return to Old Trafford.

Elsewhere, Sixth-placed Celta Vigo are away to Elche in Friday's only game, while mid-table Eibar entertain struggling Athletic Bilbao the following day.

Levante versus Rayo Vallecano is also on Saturday.

On Sunday, Real Sociedad host Valencia, Deportivo La Coruna are at Almeria, Getafe are at home to Malaga, and Cordoba meet Espanyol in a battle at the bottom.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Players summoned in La Liga match-fixing probe

26 September 2014

664995header.jpg

Players involved in a 2011 La Liga match between Levante and Real Zaragoza have been summoned for questioning on alleged match-fixing.

Zaragoza won the match - played in the last round of the season - 2-1, a result that kept them in the top flight.

Gabi Fernandez, now captain of champions Atletico Madrid, scored both of Zaragoza's goals in the fixture.

The match had been flagged as one of nine being investigated when president of the Spanish league - Javier Tebas - included it on a list of suspect results in June last year.

And a Spanish state prosecutor has now summoned players as the investigation continues.

Levante said in a brief statement on the club's official website that they were "completely oblivious to such proceedings and unaware of their development."

The club also said they were "fully available...to assist in any way."

Zaragoza added they would "assist in all matters".

Zaragoza now play in the Spanish second-tier while Levante sit 17th in the La Liga table.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique expecting strong Granada defence

26 September 2014

665473header.jpg

Luis Enrique expects his Barcelona side to face another stern defence when they take on Granada on Sunday.

Barca dropped their first league points of the campaign on Wednesday as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Malaga, a game in which the Catalan club failed to register a shot on target.

Valencia then won on Thursday to knock Barca off top spot in La Liga but Luis Enrique is hopeful his side can bounce back by finding a way through a Granada defence that he anticipates to be as strong as Malaga's.

"I expect them to be the same Granada we've seen in the last few league games," Luis Enrique said.

"I'm sure they will be strong in defence, they've got very good defenders, they play well as a team. I think they are going to cause us a lot of difficulties.

"I analyse our performances after every game and if another team causes difficulties for us and we're not able to get around those then of course we need to find solutions.

"It's not quite as simple as just pressing a button and saying 'do this' automatically. We're looking at solutions and let's see if we're able to translate those ideas into results on the pitch."

Barca, Valencia and Sevilla are level on points at the top having claimed 13 apiece from the first five league game.

And, although the table means little at this early stage of the season, Luis Enrique is pleased to see new teams seemingly ready to challenge the dominance of Barca and Real Madrid, with Atletico Madrid having claimed the title last season.

"Until last season the league was just about Real and Barca," he added.

"Last year Atletico won it playing good football, and this year it's even more competitive. I like that."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti dismisses Ronaldo reports

26 September 2014

665545header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has rubbished reports linking Cristiano Ronaldo with a return to Manchester United.

The prolific Portugal forward was said to be unhappy at Santiago Bernabeu following the departure of the likes of Angel di Maria and Xabi Alonso.

However, Ronaldo denied being unsettled with the European champions, vowing "my future is with Madrid" and Ancelotti on Friday dismissed talk of the former United man returning to Old Trafford.

"These are words without meaning." he said.

"I believe [the] reports are nonsense. Cristiano is happy here, very motivated to be here, and all Madridismo is delighted with him.

"Ronaldo [has] great professionalism, leadership, we must enjoy him and do everything to keep him in this physical and mental condition.

"Without doubt Ronaldo is the best player in the world. We are lucky he plays for us. We have to enjoy it."

Former Milan coach Ancelotti stated that he has not decided whether Iker Casillas or Keylor Navas will start in goal when Real travel to Villarreal in La Liga on Saturday.

He said: "I'll make my decision after today's [Friday] training. And no, I'm not thinking about starting one keeper at home and another one away.

"If Iker plays, that means he's the best for me. I started Keylor against Elche to give him minutes."

The Italian revealed that defenders Pepe and Fabio Coentrao will play no part due to injury.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Big guns win

27 September 2014

667387header.jpg

Neymar struck a hat-trick as La Liga leaders Barcelona continued their bright start to the season, while Real and Atletico Madrid both won.

Lionel Messi moved beyond 400 career goals as Neymar inspired Barcelona to a crushing 6-0 win over Granada.

Argentina star Messi was unable to reach the landmark in Wednesday's disappointing 0-0 draw at Malaga, but Granada could not keep him at bay as he chalked up his 400th and 401st strikes on a day that saw Neymar run riot at Camp Nou.

Luis Enrique's men were already well on their way to victory - courtesy of two goals from Neymar and an Ivan Rakitic strike - before the 27-year-old Messi took his La Liga goal tally to 248 in the second half, lifting him to within three of Telmo Zarra's record of 251.

Neymar went on to score a third after Messi turned provider and the latter completed the scoring in the closing stages as Barca continued their unbeaten start to life under Luis Enrique.

The coach will also take pleasure from a sixth successive Liga clean sheet, with Barca – two points clear – yet to concede in the Spanish top flight this season.

Cristiano Ronaldo continued his fine run of goalscoring form as Real Madrid claimed a spirited 2-0 win at Villarreal.

The Portugal international went into the fixture having scored nine goals in just four La Liga matches this season and unsurprisingly took his tally to 10 as Real were made to fight at El Madrigal.

Villarreal looked the better side for significant periods of the game and made Iker Casillas work on several occasions in the first half.

A 'come home Ronaldo' banner, commissioned by a group of Manchester United fans, flew over the ground as the Ballon d'Or winner endured a quiet start to the game.

However, Luka Modric put Real ahead with a stylish finish just after the half-hour mark and Ronaldo finally came to life in the lead up to half-time, slotting home from Karim Benzema's pinpoint pass in the 40th minute.

Villarreal continued to look lively going forward in the second half, but proceeded to waste more chances as Carlo Ancelotti's side were able to earn a hard-fought victory.

A third straight league win sees Real sitting fifth in the table.

Atletico Madrid recorded a hugely impressive 4-0 victory over Sevilla to move into second.

The champions took an early lead through Koke's deflected long-range effort and Saul headed home from a typically brilliant set-piece move three minutes before half-time.

Atleti's fourth win of the campaign was rounded off by late goals from Raul Garcia, who converted an 83rd-minute penalty, and Raul Jimenez.

Leo Baptistao's brace led Rayo Vallecano to a 2-0 win at Levante, while Athletic Bilbao's slow start to the season continued with a 0-0 draw at home to Eibar.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tuesday September 30 2014

Atleti keen on Callejon & Gabbiadini

By Football Espana staff

calljon-gesture490ai_0.jpg

Atletico Madrid are keen to bring both Jose Maria Callejon and Manolo Gabbiadini to the Vicente Calderon in January.

Atleti scout Andrea Berta took in two Serie A games over the weekend in order to run the rule over the pair, with Callejon [pictured], scoring the only goal of the game in Napoli’s win over Sassuolo, and Gabbiadini doing likewise in Sampdoria’s victory over Genoa.

According to Calciomercato.com, Los Rojiblancos were interested in former Real Madrid winger Callejon, 27, during the summer. However, they were given no encouragement by Napoli despite the player himself thought to be in favour of a return to Spain.

In Gabbiadini’s case any deal could prove a little more complicated as Sampdoria share the registration rights to the 22-year-old striker with former club Juventus.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi: I don't want to compete with Ronaldo

462667_heroa.jpg

Mark Doyle
Oct 2, 2014 13:51:48

The Argentine says he is not motivated by winning individual honours, explaining that he only wants to win titles at Barcelona, where he says is perfectly happy

Lionel Messi insists that he has no interest in competing with Cristiano Ronaldo for the title of the world's greatest player.

Having claimed the last six Ballon d'Or awards between them, the pair are regularly compared to one another, with their respective merits discussed at length by players, pundits and fans alike.

However, Messi insists that he has no interest in the perceived rivalry between the two, explaining that he is not driven by personal prizes - but club titles.

"Competing with Cristiano? I don't feel like competing with him or anyone else," he told reporters on Thursday. "It's not about individual awards; I want to help my team."

Messi's status as one of the finest players of all time has long been a subject of much debate, too, with some feeling that his failure to lead Argentina to World Cup glory this summer has undermined the argument that he ranks higher than Pele or Diego Maradona. Again, though, the 27-year-old is unconcerned by such matters.

"I don't think about my place in football history," Messi insisted. "I just want to keep getting better and win trophies with my team."

There was speculation last season that Messi was unhappy at Barcelona, who have not won the Champions League since 2011.

However, the forward insists that he did not think twice about signing a new contract with the club in May.

"Everything went very fast because it was easy," he stated. "I had no doubts about staying.

"This summer we have signed great players, who have adapted very fast to Barcelona. We have a great group now."

Messi also dismissed recent claims that he picks and chooses when he wants to represent Argentina, and that he was even considering his future at international level.

"There was some speculation, but I've been called up and I will continue to play with Argentina," the Rosario native declared.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Bilbao face uphill task at Real, Valencia host Atletico

1 October 2014

671707header.jpg

If Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde was hoping for a chance to regroup, he will not get it in La Liga this weekend.

Athletic face a daunting trip to Real Madrid on Sunday, just five days after a difficult UEFA Champions League outing in Belarus.

Valverde's side headed to BATE on Tuesday on the back of a five-game winless run in all competitions, and they fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat that could prove fatal to their chances of qualifying from Group H.

"Previously I wasn't happy with our displays, but I was okay with our attitude. Now I'm concerned with both," Valverde said after their midweek loss.

"This is a bad period for us. We couldn't start strongly enough, while BATE did, but it is our bad form that stopped us playing with the intensity needed.

"We were outpowered in an area that was our strength - a powerful start. I'm disappointed."

Athletic's prospects of immediately getting back on track in La Liga appear bleak, too, as they travel to the Santiago Bernabeu to face a Real side who will be looking to return to form after a largely frustrating trip of their own in Europe.

Real had scored 20 goals in four wins ahead of Wednesday's trip to Ludogorets, but needed a late Karim Benzema strike to see off the Bulgarian side 2-1.

Table-toppers Barcelona - two points clear at the summit and yet to concede a Liga goal this term - are on the road on Saturday, travelling to Rayo Vallecano.

And Luis Enrique will be keen to see a response from his players after the Catalan club were beaten 3-2 by French champions Paris Saint-Germain in midweek Champions League action.

"When we lose, I do not pass judgment on individual players: it's the entire team that lost," said Luis Enrique.

"The main responsibility of this loss is mine. The players showed a good attitude."

In-form Valencia host reigning champions Atletico Madrid in a mouth-watering clash between two unbeaten sides, while fourth-placed Sevilla will look to bounce back from their 4-0 hammering at the Vicente Calderon at home to lowly Deportivo La Coruna.

Sixth-placed Celta Vigo - the only other unbeaten team in the league along with Barca, Atletico and Valencia - can continue their impressive start to the season at home to Villarreal on Sunday.

Other fixtures see Getafe host basement club Cordoba on Friday, while Real Sociedad travel to Espanyol and Malaga entertain Granada.

Newl promoted Eibar - who sit eighth - face strugglers Levante, and Elche play Almeria.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Getafe 1 Cordoba 1: Diawara denies visitors maiden win

3 October 2014

674269header.jpg

Baba Diawara struck two minutes from time to salvage a 1-1 draw for Getafe and deny Cordoba a first La Liga win of the season.

Cordoba were second best for long periods at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez but hit the front in the 78th minute as Patrick Ekeng netted in style.

But Getafe avoided a fifth defeat in seven league outings this term as Diawara converted from close range in the closing stages.

Cordoba forward Nabil Ghilas was the away side's main threat in the first half, as Emiliano Velazquez needed to produce a perfectly timed last-ditch challenge to thwart a brilliant solo run from the Algerian.

But the best opportunities of the half both fell to Getafe in the final five minutes, only for Abdoul Yoda to twice fall short in front of goal, mis-hitting a volley off target before shooting tamely at Cordoba goalkeeper Juan Carlos when afforded space in the area.

Naldo headed wide from a corner as Getafe continued to press after the break and Angel Lafita had a 62nd-minute effort chalked off for a marginal offside call.

The home team's sense of injustice was compounded as Medhi Lacen was dispossessed and Ekeng drove beyond Velazquez into the box and smashed home.

Diawara was on hand to earn a share of the spoils, prodding home Sergio Escudero's low, first-time cross at the back post and the latter was almost a last-gasp hero when he grazed the outside of the post with a shot from the edge of the area.