• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Sociedad start new era with visit from champions

5 November 2014

715813header.jpg

La Liga strugglers Real Sociedad host champions Atletico Madrid on Sunday for their first game since Jagoba Arrasate was sacked as coach.

Sociedad have won just once in the league this season - a shock 4-2 victory over Real Madrid in August - and slipped to 19th in the table after losing 1-0 at home to Malaga last weekend.

That result proved to be the final straw for the club's board, with Arrasate being sacked on Sunday.

Coaches Asier Santana and Imanol Alguacil took charge of training during the week, and the prospect of facing in-form Atletico - who have won their last five games in all competitions - without a boss represents a daunting one.

But ahead of the champions' visit, Sociedad captain Xabi Prieto called for fans to keep their faith despite their dismal form.

"We've had a wake-up call, the results haven't been going our way, the team hasn't been performing to the level it should and that, for us the players, means that we have failed," he said.

"We have to maintain faith in this squad because I believe we are capable of doing much better than we have been until now.

"It was a great shame to see [the coaching staff] go, although we know that these things happen when the results aren't coming - it's a real shame."

Following their qualification for the UEFA Champions League last-16 stage in midweek, Liga leaders Real Madrid - on a scintillating run of seven straight wins, with 32 goals scored in that time - return to domestic action against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday, while second-placed Valencia entertain Athletic Bilbao.

Barcelona will go in search of a return to winning ways when they travel to Almeria - having lost to Real Madrid and Celta Vigo in recent weeks.

Luis Enrique's side have slipped to fourth in the table but head to the Estadio de los Juegos having secured qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League by winning 2-0 at Ajax - courtesy of a Lionel Messi double - in midweek.

Bottom side Cordoba face fellow strugglers Deportivo La Coruna at the Estadio Nuevo Arcangel looking for a first win since their promotion while Levante - also in the bottom three - travel to high-flying Sevilla.

Unai Emery's men slipped up last time out against Athletic Bilbao but can strengthen their position among the frontrunners with a first victory over Levante since January 2011 in Sunday's early kick-off.

Celta - a spot behind Sevilla in sixth - face Granada while in-form Malaga can record a fifth straight league win against Eibar.

Elsewhere, Getafe and Elche meet at the Coliseum Alfonso Perez while Espanyol host Villarreal.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Laporta slams Barcelona board of directors

396099_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 7, 2014 11:11:32

The former Barca supremo has voiced his dismay with the way he's been treated and added that his motivation to run for presidency again is growing by the day

Former Barcelona president Joan Laporta has hit out at the current board of directors for the way they have led the club in recent years and their attempt to blame him for financial problems in the aftermath of his reign at Camp Nou.

Ex-president Sandro Rosell - who made way for Josep Bartomeu earlier this year - filed a civil liability action against Laporta and his fellow board members in 2010 for alleged creative accounting.

A court ruled this month that Laporta's administration were not guilty of any wrongdoings, but the current politician has not forgotten about Rosell and Bartomeu's actions.

"I did not expect anything good from this board. I wasn't surprised, but I was disappointed," Laporta told Esports3.

"They used the 2010 assembly - where they filed the civil liability action - for their own gain.

"They said the club had financial troubles when we left, but Barcelona were in fine shape in more than one way when we left.

"We were generous to the players, executives and employees, that's true. But we paid reasonable amounts. [Lionel] Messi made a lot of money, but he stayed because of his love for the club.

"We are people and I'm sure we made mistakes, but I think the good things we did outweigh the bad ones."

Laporta then went on to discuss his plans to potentially run for the Barcelona presidency again and stressed that he is becoming more motivated each day.

"I haven't asked for early elections, but I think Bartomeu is not legitimate as a president.

"I don't rule out returning as president. I get more motivated each day.

"I have a job, though, and it is not an obsession. It is not my priority. I will make a decision when the time is there."

The former Barca president also had his say on the current squad and stressed that he just wants the team to do well.

"It's great to see Messi motivated and Neymar all adapted to his new surroundings.

"It hurts me to see [Gerard] Pique's situation, but I am happy to see Xavi and the others are doing fine. I just want things to go well for the club."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coleman: Moyes should grasp Sociedad chance

6 November 2014

717133header.jpg

Chris Coleman has told David Moyes to take the vacant Real Sociedad job, should he be offered the position.

Moyes has been out of work since his ill-fated tenure as Manchester United manager came to an end in April, less than a year after he took the job.

Speculation continues to link the Scot with the Sociedad position, with the San Sebastian club having dismissed Jagoba Arrasate last week after a poor start to the Liga season.

And Wales boss Coleman, who managed Sociedad between June 2007 and January 2008, believes the position would present a great opportunity for Moyes to rebuild his career.

"If I was speaking to David I'd say - 'take the job'," Coleman said. "They have incredible fans and the city is absolutely crazy about the club.

"It was a great experience for me and when I look back on my managerial career that is probably my biggest regret - leaving Sociedad.

"It is a great club who were in the Champions League last year and if you are at that level, like Moyesy is, I'd say take it as they can be a force, they really can.

"San Sebastian is a great city, and a football city."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cordoba 0 Deportivo La Coruna 0: Cartabia pays the penalty

7 November 2014

718435header.jpg

Federico Cartabia's missed penalty proved costly as winless Cordoba were held to a 0-0 draw by 10-man Deportivo La Coruna on Friday.

Miroslav Djukic's men had the perfect opportunity to win the game with Cartabia's spot-kick in the 17th minute, only the Argentine forward to have his effort from 12 yards saved.

Deportivo then played for over an hour with 10 men at the Estadio Municipal El Arcangel after Helder Postiga was shown a second yellow card, but Cordoba could not find the winning goal.

It means the Andalusia side remain the only team in La Liga without a win and they are bottom of the table with just six points from 11 matches.

The flash point of the match came in the 17th minute when Postiga was yellow carded for handball in the area.

But Cartabia's penalty was well saved by Fabricio to his right in the Deportivo goal.

Postiga then received his marching orders shortly before the half-hour mark for a second bookable offence.

Predictably Cordoba enjoyed most of the possession after the break but they were unable to find the breakthrough in a disappointing draw.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Malaga maintain hot streak, Barca bounce back

9 November 2014

719663header.jpg

Top two Real Madrid and Barcelona consolidated their standing with wins in La Liga, while Malaga's hot streak continued on Saturday.

Javi Gracia's Malaga made it five straight wins with a late 2-1 triumph over Eibar, the hosts coming from behind to take all three points.

Nordin Amrabat's 88th-minute penalty saw Malaga to victory, after Eibar's Raul Navas handled the ball from Sergi Darder's run into the area.

Navas was also sent off for the foul, earning his second yellow card.

Earlier, Ander Capa's cross into the box late in the first half was not adequately cleared by the Malaga defence, and Mikel Arruabarrena curled an effort into the top corner to stun the home fans.

Juanmi equalised for Malaga after the interval, smashing home from a save from goalkeeper Xabi Irureta, who kept out Samu's effort.

Leaders Real Madrid were buoyed to a 5-1 victory at home to Rayo Vallecano, with each of Gareth Bale, Sergio Ramos, Toni Kroos, Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo on target.

Bueno had given Vallecano some hope at The Santiago Bernabeu when he pulled a goal back for the visitors to make it 2-1 at half-time.

But Ronaldo teed up goals for Kroos and Benzema before striking himself late on to seal a comprehensive victory for Carlo Ancelotti's side.

Barcelona snapped their two-match league losing run with a 2-1 road win over Almeria, having to come from behind.

Neymar and Jordi Alba struck nine minutes apart, Alba's winner coming in the 82nd minute, to spare the blushes of the Catalan club.

Celta de Vigo were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Granada, ending their two-match winning streak but preserving their unbeaten run - which is four matches.

Elche's trip to Getafe also ended scoreless, taking the visitors one point clear of the drop zone.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Atletico suffer setback, Valencia held

9 November 2014

B2CLaHjIIAAEGzk.jpg:medium

Atletico Madrid missed the chance to go second in La Liga after losing 2-1 at manager-less Real Sociedad on Sunday.

The champions looked on course for a sixth straight win in all competitions when Mario Mandzukic fired them ahead early on.

However, Carlos Vela soon equalised and Guilherme Siqueira was sent off towards the start of the second half.

That gave Sociedad the inspiration to push on and end an eight-match winless run when Imanol Agirretxe headed home on 82 minutes.

With reserve coach Asier Santana in charge following the dismissal of Jagoba Arrasate, Sociedad secured just a second success of the season and moved out of the bottom three on goal difference.

Atletico are now fourth, while third-placed Valencia also failed to prevail when held to a goalless draw at home to Athletic Bilbao.

Valencia failed to maintain their 100 per cent record at Mestalla in La Liga this term as Ernesto Valverde's visitors showed good organisation and resilience at the back.

Those two results leave Real Madrid and Barcelona at the head of affairs following Saturday victories over Rayo Vallecano and Almeria respectively.

Sevilla also dropped points for the second straight week as they failed to hold onto the lead given them by Vitolo when drawing 1-1 at home to Levante, with Victor netting a 79th-minute equaliser for the visitors.

Espanyol and Villarreal shared the spoils 1-1 at Estadi Cornella-El Prat, with Diego Colotto levelling in stoppage time for the hosts after Mario Gaspar had earlier broken the deadlock.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monday November 10 2014

Report: Kone to return to Levante

By Football Espana staff

kone-everton490ai.jpg

Everton striker Arouna Kone could be set to return to Levante in the winter transfer window after more than a year on the sidelines.

Kone followed Roberto Martinez from Wigan Athletic to Everton in the summer of 2013 but suffered a serious knee ligament injury only months into his Toffees career.

He hasn’t featured for Everton’s first team since and with Romelu Lukaku and Samuel Eto’o ahead of him in the pecking order, Kone has been linked by the British Press with a return to Les Granotes.

Kone, 31 on Tuesday, spent a season at Ciutat de Valencia, on loan from Sevilla, and scored 17 goals in 39 games before heading to Wigan.

It’s reported that if he can prove his fitness Levante will offer first team football to the Ivory Coast international.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Sociedad appoint Moyes

471454d2-c55f-49b8-80c3-a429d922c8c3-460x276.jpeg

By Ben Hayward
Nov 10, 2014 23:15:00

The 51-year-old Scot joins the Primera Division outfit as a replacement for Jagoba Arrasate and signs a one and a half year deal, the Basque side confirmed on Monday

Real Sociedad have appointed former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes as their new coach, the Basque outfit revealed on their website late on Monday night.

Moyes was the Spanish side's top target after previous coach Jagoba Arrasate was sacked earlier this month, but negotiations dragged on over the weekend and former Betis boss Pepe Mel was waiting in the wings to take over if a deal for the Scot fell through.

Real Sociedad had said that a successor to Arrasate would be named on Monday, however, and the Basque outfit confirmed the 51-year-old's appointment on their website.

"Real Sociedad have reached an agreement with David Moyes to be the club's first-team coach until June 30, 2016," a short statement read. The club added that details of the Scot's unveiling as coach and the names of his backroom staff would be revealed on Tuesday.

Moyes, whose turbulent 10-month spell at Manchester United came to an end in April, becomes the highest-paid coach in the club's history with wages of around €2m per year.

Real beat champions Atletico Madrid 2-1 on Sunday to move out of the relegation zone and are currently 15th in La Liga, with just nine points from their opening 11 games.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Madrid won't buy in January, Pique shouldn't be punished

539821_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Nov 11, 2014 17:27:41

The Italian coach says there will be no additions to the squad in the upcoming transfer window and said he would not punish the Barca defender for using his phone on the bench

Carlo Ancelotti says Real Madrid will not make any signings in the January transfer window.

The European champions had a busy summer, bringing in James Rodriguez, Toni Kroos and Keylor Navas, while Javier Hernandez joined on loan from Manchester United.

The Madrid boss says he has no plans to add to his squad again in January, insisting that the long-awaited return of Jese Rodriguez next month is the only player who will resemble a new signing.

"Jese is our winter signing," he said on Al Primer Toque. "He could play in the next month."

The 55-year-old touched on Gerard Pique's omission from the Barcelona team, as reports have emerged that the defender has been dropped because he was caught using his mobile phone on the bench.

And Ancelotti says he would not punish a player for doing so.

"I wouldn’t punish a player for using his mobile phone on the bench. I believe in discipline but there are things I don’t think should be resolved with punishment, but with talking and explaining.

"Players are intelligent people and I don’t think Pique has been left out because of that."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Suarez getting better each day' - Bravo

573331_heroa.jpg

Alec Fenn
Nov 11, 2014 19:49:56

The striker has shown glimpses of his quality since returning from a four-month ban and one of his club team-mates believes he will soon become an indispensable member of the squad

Luis Suarez is quickly becoming an important part of Luis Enrique's Barcelona side, according to Blaugrana goalkeeper Claudio Bravo.

The 27-year-old moved to Camp Nou from Liverpool over the summer but had to wait until the Clasico clash with Real Madrid on October 25 to make his debut after serving a four-month suspension.

As a result, Suarez has taken his time to build up match fitness, but shown glimpses of his talent with three assists in his first three La Liga games and Bravo believes the Uruguay star is growing in stature with each traning session.

"Luis is already an important factor in the team and his level of importance is increasing with each day," the keeper told reporters at a press conference ahead of Chile's games against Venezuela and Uruguyay.

Bravo's own start to life at Barcelona has been a little less high profile, but the 31-year-old has nonetheless established himself as the club's first choice keeper after starting each of their first 11 games in La Liga this term and conceding just five goals - the best defensive record in the division.

The 31-year-old joined the club after spending the previous eight years at Real Sociedad.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Moyes and Real Sociedad a perfect match, says Westerveld

472331_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Nov 12, 2014 08:00:00

The Dutchman believes the former Manchester United manager will feel right at home at the Primera Division outfit

Former Real Sociedad goalkeeper Sander Westerveld is confident David Moyes will succeed at the Basque outfit after the Scot signed a contract with the club until June 2016.

Moyes was confirmed as the new head coach on Monday, replacing Jagoba Arrasate, who was dismissed as the club slumped into the bottom three of the Spanish top flight.

Westerveld - who had a short spell under Moyes at Everton - was with Sociedad for four seasons after leaving Liverpool in 2001 and believes the former Manchester United boss has picked the perfect club to relaunch his career.

"It's one of the clubs I feel most connected with so I am really happy with this move," the 40-year-old told Perform. "When I heard this news I felt this is the best news for Real Sociedad, as I saw they were talking to other coaches, but I think for the club this is a great move."

Moyes was sacked by United 10 months after replacing Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford, and has waited over half a year make his return to football management.

However, Westerveld believes Moyes' reputation remains intact, even after his chastening experience with United.

"I think Moyes is a big name. He struggled at Manchester United, but he still has a good name as a coach. What I've heard is that most of the people are happy with him, he's not a low-key coach from England, he is a quality one. The people will be happy with him.

"It's maybe a smart move for him. It's one of those clubs in Spain that is a very stable club, they don't have a president who throws money away and sacks coaches every couple of months. The club is famous for its scouting system and for developing younger players, so I think he should feel at home.

"It's a little bit like Everton, it's a decent club. When they have a good year they reach the Champions League, normally they play mid-table. It's a good, well-structured, decent club. He will feel at home. He won't have any pressure if they lose a couple of games, they have a lot of faith in their foreign coaches."

One concern that has been raised following Moyes' appointment is the language barrier, but Westerveld does not expect it to stop him settling into life in San Sebastian.

"I don't think there will be any problems. It depends who he brings with him, but when I was there we had a French coach there who couldn't speak a word [of Spanish]. They just bring in translators."

Sociedad sprung a surprise on Atletico Madrid on Sunday, winning 2-1 under the caretaker charge of Asier Santana to move up to 15th in the table.

Moyes' first match will come after the international break when his new charges travel to Deportivo La Coruna on October 22.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale doesn't want Premier League return, insists agent

556881_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Nov 12, 2014 08:27:40

The Welshman has been linked with a stunning move to Manchester United after struggling with form and fitness in the early part of the season

Gareth Bale is not interested in leaving Real Madrid for a return to the Premier League, one of his representatives - David Manasseh - has said.

The 25-year-old impressed in his first season at the Santiago Bernabeu, scoring 22 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions, including crucial strikes in the Champions League and Copa del Rey finals.

However, Bale has been struggling to replicate that form in 2014-15 and recent rumours claimed that Madrid were interested in an outrageous player-exchange deal that would see Angel Di Maria return to the Spanish capital from Manchester United, with Bale moving in the opposite direction.

The attacker's representative has now laughed off such a transfer, though, and has insisted that Bale is happy at his current club.

"It is not true that Gareth wants to return to the Premier League," Manasseh told Calciomercato.

"Everything is going well for him at Madrid and he wants to continue to wear the Real Madrid jersey.

"These rumours about a swap with United are absolute rubbish."

Bale has a contract with Madrid until the summer of 2019.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rafinha suffers thigh injury

598401_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
Nov 14, 2014 16:12:57

The 21-year-old has had to return to Barcelona from international duty after suffering another "mild" strain in the muscle

Barcelona have confirmed that midfielder Rafinha has sustained a thigh injury sustained while on international duty.

The 21-year-old was in China representing a Brazil youth side led by Under-21 coach Alexandre Gallo, who is running the rule over players ahead of the Rio Olympics in 2016.

However, he had to return home to Barcelona because of the injury, meaning he will miss matches against Australia, South Korea and China.

After undergoing tests with club doctors, it was confirmed that Rafinha "has a slight elongation of the sartorius muscle of the right leg".

Barca did not disclose if the midfielder is likely to spend any time on the sidelines as a result.

This is the second thigh injury that Rafinha, who has made seven appearances in all competitions for Barca this season, has suffered this season, having sustained one in October.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

James: I'm played out of position at Real Madrid

597421_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Nov 14, 2014 08:43:56

The former Monaco star has admitted that he prefers a more attacking role at club level but is prepared to adopt any role he is given under Carlo Ancelotti

James Rodriguez says he is not fully comfortable with his role at Real Madrid as he would prefer to play in a more attacking position.

The 23-year-old impressed for Colombia at the 2014 World Cup playing close to the striker, but he has been utilised in a more central role at Madrid due to the presence of attackers such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema.

He has admitted that he would rather play a bit higher up the pitch, but is ready to feature wherever the coach needs him.

"It's true I play a little deeper for Real Madrid. I can push a little further forward for Colombia," James told reporters.

"I hope to play where I feel most comfortable and help the team to win. I feel more comfortable where I play for Colombia because I like to be closer to the goal; that works better for me. I can score and pass from there.

"But as a player I have to be prepared to play in any position."

James has been in excellent form for Madrid so far this season, scoring six goals in 19 appearances in all competitions.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson backed me to take Real Sociedad job - Moyes

597451_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Nov 14, 2014 08:54:00

The former Manchester United boss has challenged himself by taking the reins at Anoeta and says that the Spanish club will benefit from the patience not shown by the Red Devils

New Real Sociedad coach David Moyes says that he consulted Sir Alex Ferguson before taking the job.

The Manchester United legend had recommended Moyes to the Red Devils before a disastrous 2013-14 season at Old Trafford saw his successor sacked, with Louis van Gaal now in control.

The Scottish pair have remained in contact since, with the 72-year-old backing up his friend's belief that a move to Spain would do him good.

"I spoke to Alex and said 'this is the opportunity that has come my way, what do you think?'," revealed Moyes to reporters in San Sebastian, "and Alex said he felt it was a great opportunity for me.

"I mentioned the opportunities I had had back in the UK and I felt that probably, after the way things had gone [at United], I should move away.

"We talked about the opportunity, which he thought was a great opportunity. I felt it was the right move for me and he backed me up."

Still adamant that he was not given enough time for his methods to succeed at United, Moyes now says that la Real will benefit from the Premier League giants' lack of patience.

"I always believed I was the right person for the job and I still believe that was the case," the Scot declared.

"I don't know about having to repair my image because there was nothing wrong with how we worked [at United]. I think everybody could see that, whoever is in charge of Manchester United, it's quite a long job to do things and obviously nine months would never be enough time for any manager.

"I do think that most real football people understand that there is a period at Manchester United of transition. I took over from Sir Alex and it was always going to take time, whoever was in charge. The manager needs to be given the opportunity to get on with his job and be given that time that he needs.

"I don't think anything will change. I will work the same way I have always done. I had a great time at Everton when I was there and came away from that with a lot of high regard. I would not have been offered the Manchester United job if I had not done well at that club so I still stand by what I said at the time: I wasn't given enough time to succeed or fail ... so Sociedad are going to get the benefit of that."

Moyes is excited to make an impression on what he sees as "the best league in the world" and revealed that he had already spoken to Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti, whom he befriended during the Italian's spell at Chelsea.

"Carlo said 'great to see you back in football, great to see you in Spain'," Moyes added. "I've always got on well with Carlo and he will be on the end of the phone to give me any advice.

"At the present time you can say La Liga is the best league in the world. It has overtaken the Premier League. I want to come here and stand on my own two feet. The best way to do that is to come initially on my own but I will then add staff."

Last edited:

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pique: Barca is my life, I'm not leaving

519831_heroa.jpg

Dominic Raynor
Nov 16, 2014 12:36:28

The defender has not been a regular starter this season but plans to stay and establish himself under coach Luis Enrique

Gerard Pique says he will fight for his place in Luis Enrique's side and has no intention of leaving Barcelona.

The World Cup winner has played in just eight of Barca's 15 matches this season and has been linked with a return to Manchester United.

But the 27-year-old, who has played 274 times for his hometown club and won 15 titles - including the Liga and Champions League double in 2011, has dismissed the rumours.

"Barcelona is my life and I do not plan to leave. I will continue to fight for a place," he told Movistar TV.

"I don't think playing two or three matches and then leaving would be consistent."

A regular starter under successive managers at Barcelona, and with the national team, Pique's status under current boss Luis Enrique, who took over from Gerardo Martino in summer, is unclear.

The versatile defender started in the 3-1 El Clasico defeat to arch-rivals Real Madrid in October but has not played since.

On his standing with the coach, Pique said: "It's a player-coach relationship, as there may be thousands in the world of football.

"In the end, it is he who decides and players try to do what he wants from us."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cruyff: Laporta won't bring Mourinho and Ronaldo to Barcelona

588081_heroa.jpg

By Tom Webber
Nov 15, 2014 09:35:47

The iconic Blaugrana legend does not buy into suggestions that the former club president will sign the Portuguese duo if he got the top Camp Nou job back

Johan Cruyff has dismissed Joan Laporta's talk of bringing Jose Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo to Barcelona as mere wind with no substance.

Laporta was president of the Catalan giants between 2003 and 2010 and met with Jorge Mendes - agent of the Real Madrid forward and current Chelsea boss - in midweek.

Reports in Spain have been circulating that Laporta will contest the next Barca presidential election with a view to bring the duo to Camp Nou, but club legend Cruyff has no belief in the rumours.

"I don't think there's much to them, they're just idle comments," Cruyff told reporters.

"When you talk about something you know nothing about, you end up kicking up a storm for no reason.

"Sport is a game which holds many possibilities, but in this case they are unlikely to be feasible. I don't imagine that Laporta would bring in Mou and Cristiano."

Ronaldo has played at the Santiago Bernabeu for five years, whereas Mourinho has forged a bitter rivalry with Barca over the past decade with a variety of clubs, despite having worked there early in his career as part of the backroom staff.

Current club president Josep Maria Bartomeu announced his intention to stand for election in 2016 as he continues to lead the club after stepping in early this year when Sandro Rosell resigned over numerous debacles such as Neymar's hidden transfer fees.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone not interested in leaving Atletico

464305_heroa.jpg

Nicholas McGee
Nov 17, 2014 13:00:53

The successful coach has no intention of quitting his current club any time soon as he's keen to guide them to more silverware

​Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has dismissed talk of a move away from the Spanish champions, insisting he is happy in the capital.

Simeone took over at the Vicente Calderon in December 2011 and has brought much success to Atleti, who won La Liga for the first time since 1996 last season.

The Argentine also guided Atleti to the Champions League final in 2013-14, where they suffered a 4-1 extra-time loss to city rivals Real Madrid, and has previously led them to glory in the Copa del Rey, Europa League and European Super Cup.

His exploits have prompted speculation regarding interest from other clubs, with Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain among those said to be eager to lure him away.

However, the 44-year-old is adamant he is enjoying life at Atleti and is keen to discover how far he can take a team that currently sits fourth in the Spanish top flight, four points adrift of leaders Real.

"I feel very good at Atletico," Simeone told Marca. "I always want to continue improving, I'm never satisfied.

"I don't know what the limit of this team is. I will continue looking."

Atleti resume domestic action on Saturday when they host a Malaga team enjoying a five-game winning streak

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Modric injury blow for Madrid

456864_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 17, 2014 08:42:05

The Croatia international could be sidelined for three to five weeks due to an adductor injury

Real Madrid have been dealt a big blow after Luka Modric was ruled out for the remainder of 2014 after picking up a knock on international duty with Croatia.

The 29-year-old featured from the start in his country's 1-1 Euro 2016 qualification draw with Italy on Sunday, but was forced to leave the pitch after 28 minutes of play due to injury.

"Modric felt pain in his adductor and will undergo tests in Madrid to determine the extent of the knock. We will know more on Monday or Tuesday," Croatia coach Niko Kovac told HTV.

The midfielder's specific length of absence is not yet known, but initial reports suggest he will be unavailable for between three to five weeks.

Modric has been a key figure for Madrid in the opening months of the 2014-15 campaign, making 17 appearances in all competitions.

The absence of Modric could see Sami Khedira return to the Madrid starting XI in the next few weeks. The Germany international has struggled to secure regular first-team action this term, through a combination of injury and the good form of Toni Kroos, but recently returned to full match fitness.

MarcelSchmelzer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Modric ruled out for three months

18 November 2014

732503header.jpg

​Real Madrid could be without Luka Modric for as much as three months after tests revealed his thigh injury will require surgery to repair.

The midfielder suffered the injury 28 minutes into Croatia's Euro 2016 qualifier with Italy at the San Siro on Sunday, a game that ended 1-1 in Group H.

Real had been awaiting test results to reveal the issue's severity, and their worst fears have been confirmed by the Croatian Football Federation (HNS), with Modric's participation likely curtailed until next year.

"Croatian national team and Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric will be away from the football pitch for about three months after the injury sustained in the counter with Italy," a statement read.

"Modric asked to be substituted after experiencing pain in the muscle, and MRI scans in Madrid have showed it is a serious injury.

"Modric will be away from the pitch for about three months. Surgery will be needed."

Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti will now have to find a replacement for Modric alongside Toni Kroos in midfield, with Sami Khedira and Asier Illarramendi likely to battle for that starting place.