• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"Smoke Break" is an entitlement??

tommy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on your standing with the company. A person in good standing going out for smoke break is normally tolerated, come in late also ok.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
i noticed that there are less smokers nowadays. probably due to the higher price. i guess this prob will become less as time go by

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
i totally agreed that a 5 min smoke break some time can build rapport that will save you a days of unnecessary work...........

pple tent to share with "kaki". So if you smoke , you are consider as " one of them" . I find things move more smoothly.

of couse if no pple smoke in your company then....smoking bonds you with no one

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes,a smoking break can solve a problem,if you have been trying for a long time and still cannot solve it.

Yeah.. and if I can't solve the problem after 1 stick, I take another stick, then another stick.. until problem solved :biggrin:

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think the smoker can be replaced easily with someone who doesn't smoke, just fire him.

If he contributes to the bottomline of the company, then you lan lan.

What I'm trying to address here is is their attitude.

I repeat myself again, it's not about the time they take or anything, it's their attitude towards this act that is the topic of discussion.

And looking at some the responds, that exact type of attitude is beginning to surface. They can come a million and 1 reasons to make it sound like what they are doing is perfectly acceptable. So they can just "ba long long" go off whenever they want, take as long as they need, make people wait as long as they want, so that they can feel the kick they get out of smoking.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
give n take la.

What a joke! What give and take are you talking about? The thread poster is putting a point that whatever breaks normal workers take, smokers take those too PLUS their own little smoking breaks.

If I am a CEO, I will ban all smoking breaks.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes,a smoking break can solve a problem,if you have been trying for a long time and still cannot solve it.

That's really funny. So you mean non-smokers need cigarettes to solve problems too? You mean the brain powers of smokers depend on their fixes? Then all things being equal, I would never hire a smoker.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
i totally agreed that a 5 min smoke break some time can build rapport that will save you a days of unnecessary work...........

pple tent to share with "kaki". So if you smoke , you are consider as " one of them" . I find things move more smoothly.

of couse if no pple smoke in your company then....smoking bonds you with no one

Finding solace in each other's filthy addiction is called bonding? That's rich lor. You mean smoking allows you into some exclusive "Smokers Coven"?

The only rapport smokers can build is when they check into the Cancer Club.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm.. in my ex-company, smoke break is a chance for us to build rapport and also to exchange news... somehow, i managed to speed things/process for my project and also to avoid many hidden traps ... all thanks to the information I got during smoking break.. :biggrin:

That's a really pathetic justification for your addiction.

jw5

Loyal
Actually nothing is an entitlement in this world, as long as you are under the thumb someone or some organization.
Everything is a priviledge, you simply have to figure out for yourself what you can get away with.

chinchai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smoke break only applies when you worked in an office. I don't think if you work in a factory as say production assistant, there is such a thing as smoke break. If you walk out, it's considered as abandoning the job :biggrin:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smoke break only applies when you worked in an office. I don't think if you work in a factory as say production assistant, there is such a thing as smoke break. If you walk out, it's considered as abandoning the job :biggrin:

So obviously it's a privilege and smokers shouldn't use crap excuses (e.g. make me think better, allow me to bond, etc etc) to justify their smoking breaks.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
So obviously it's a privilege and smokers shouldn't use crap excuses (e.g. make me think better, allow me to bond, etc etc) to justify their smoking breaks.

I don't think any smoker claimed it's their entitlement? Non-smokers are complaining SOME smokers abuse the privilege. Tio bo?:biggrin:

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro SneeringTree, seems a bit agitated, cool down bro, let's keep it a friendly discussion, after all, regardless of what we say here, these bloody smokers :p will continue doing what they do best anyway..:(

I don't think any smoker claimed it's their entitlement? Non-smokers are complaining SOME smokers abuse the privilege. Tio bo?:biggrin:

hhhmmm..not an entitlement?? If that's the case, how do you think smoker will react if the "privilege" is taken away?? Another question, so do smokers abuse this entitlement/privilege??

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
hhhmmm..not an entitlement?? If that's the case, how do you think smoker will react if the "privilege" is taken away?? Another question, so do smokers abuse this entitlement/privilege??

Bro, there will aways be abusers of privileges lah. Let's not generalise and stereotype all smokers. If privilege taken away? Bo bian lor.. just like privilege to smoke in public areas.

Live and let live. Peace.:smile:

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is my opinion.

If the smoker takes too much break and still does not produce what is expected of him, then I would say he is taking things abit too far.

If the smoker takes his smoking break, and yet still able to produce what is expected of him, I do not see anything wrong about that. It's the quality of the productivity, not the quantity. :smile:

p/s: I'm a smoker too, but I don't see myself taking advantage of this "entitlement" :smile: